PDA

View Full Version : Archie Likely Cancelling Sonic The Hedgehog

ZariusTwo
01-17-2017, 02:01 PM
I just spoke with Lisa at subscriptions at Archie (914-381-5155). I told her I was considering subscribing to Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe, but that I cannot seem to subscribe to them on their site. She said that right now, "until they have more information," they are not taking anymore subscriptions. I then asked if this meant the possibility of those titles getting cancelled, and she said yes. I asked what would be the final issue to then hit stores would be, and she said "I believe...290." (I forgot to ask about Sonic Universe and the final Megadrive issue, "Overdrive," and forgot to ask about resolving storylines and whatnot). And of course, I mentioned that a lot of fans are showing concern and would like to know what's going on, to which she said "Archie will be providing more information as it comes." That was it.

Trust me, letting you all know this doesn't come easy for me, and please don't shoot the messenger--this is just information that I was told when I called just now.

With my profession comes the delivery of bad news. Of course, that's with the death of a person, so it's different.

As for this, it's just super sad and I'm certainly bummed. I grew up with this book; and it won a Guinness World Record of being the longest comic of a video game character. Just last week I was organizing my collection and finishing up reading the end of the Shattered World Crisis. While thumbing through old issues, I was reflecting on how the book had changed pre-reboot and post. It wasn't perfect but it kept me and the fans engaged.

But Penders-bashing aside, I can't help but feel a sour taste in my mouth. I met him 10 years ago at SDCC, he was nice, I bought a signed copy of Sonic Firsts from him, and we snapped a picture together (he looked way different back then). But was it truly worth it to him to cause so much drama and derail his life to set off a chain of dominos that would lead to the book's cancellation for the sake of continuing a story that was (essentially) irrelevant?

We'll all get over this books cancellation, but it seems like he will just cling to this drama forever.

I definitely feel bad for Ian, Vin, and all the artists though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/5oihsh/spoke_with_archie_on_the_phonesonic_is_likely/

Darth Knuckles
01-17-2017, 02:43 PM
I'm just hearing this first on The Sonic Stadium and then here as well. I'm really devastated if this is indeed true. The Sonic/Knuckles Archie comics mixed with the great SEGA Genesis games in the nineties were the only other franchise that I liked as much as the TMNT and I will feel really terrible if the Archie Sonic comics are gone. Really sad if true. :tcry:

Tetsu Deinonychus
03-11-2017, 10:29 AM
While, I'm a couple years behind due to money issues, the Archie Sonic Comic has been a staple of my reading schedule since I picked up issue #0 as a kid. I didn't expect it to last forever, certainly not into my 30s, but it was comforting that it did.

It's also by far my favorite Sonic continuity and kept favourite characters like Sally, Bunnie, and Rotor relevant long after the rest of the franchise abandoned them for more "game-based" characters.

The end of an era, and possibly the end of me caring all that much about Sonic in general (though the "Sonic Boom" cartoon makes me laugh). :(

Darth Knuckles
03-12-2017, 12:04 PM
While, I'm a couple years behind due to money issues, the Archie Sonic Comic has been a staple of my reading schedule since I picked up issue #0 as a kid. I didn't expect it to last forever, certainly not into my 30s, but it was comforting that it did.

It's also by far my favorite Sonic continuity and kept favourite characters like Sally, Bunnie, and Rotor relevant long after the rest of the franchise abandoned them for more "game-based" characters.

The end of an era, and possibly the end of me caring all that much about Sonic in general (though the "Sonic Boom" cartoon makes me laugh). :(

We seem to be in the same boat on the Archie Sonic comics. This is the reason why I still hold the Sonic franchise up as high as I do after the year 2000. These comics are what have kept my interest in the characters and I love that they've always kept all of the underused 1990's characters alive in their comics. You can't find Mighty, Ray, Nack, Bean, Bark, or the Freedom Fighters (SatAM) anywhere else. Sonic Mania is looking very good but I've been burned before on possibly good Sonic games in the past. We'll just have to wait and see on both counts.

ZariusTwo
05-08-2017, 03:13 PM
"Definitely cancelled"

Archie have been quiet about it because they don't want a P.R nightmare emerging when they're well into Riverdale promotion. Archie's CEO also believes Sonic no longer fits their portfolio, and it seems Sega were demanding more of a cut in exchange for the license.

http://archiesoniconline.com/board/index.php?topic=1158.msg24430#msg24430

DestronMirage22
05-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Such a damn shame.
I've enjoyed this series for years and have grown attached to the characters. But it's not exactly a surprise, what with the legal issues and all that. :(

Netkeeper
05-08-2017, 06:57 PM
It's been around forever yet it feels too soon somehow. :(

sdp
05-09-2017, 07:00 PM
I feel like it is time for the comic to end, it's a convoluted mess of a comic that has gone for too long. It'd be sad that it never got a proper conclusion but such is life.

It should've been a full reboot after the Pender's fiasco but that was a huge blow to the comic already, but even before that the comic was a huge mess continuity wise, that's what happens when you start as an adaptation of SatAM with AoSTH humor that continued the story and then got super complex, killed the main villain but brought him back and brought more characters in and then started adapting the games and so on and so on.

oldmanwinters
05-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Hope I can get a subscription refund as I just renewed back in December!

I was at least hoping they'd finish the current 4-issue mini-series and at least one more. But all good things come to an end, and I got lots of enjoyment out of the Archie Sonic run back in the 90s and over the past decade. I've been able to find a few back issues recently, and that reminded me of how many ups-and-downs the series has had... most of the downs being the fault of Penders turning the title into his own personal fan-fic, I think. I imagine nostalgia will eventually make back issues more in demand, since digital distribution and reprints are no longer on the table.

ZariusTwo
05-10-2017, 06:02 AM
I recommend you all migrate over to the online fan continuation Mobius Legends, which carries on from where the original Archie continuity left off, still in the midst of the Mecha-Sally storyline

http://archiesoniconline.com/

Shark_Blade
05-10-2017, 06:22 AM
So it's the end, huh?

I like the comic really. It even got my Sonic fan art published in an issue when I was a wee lad.

Nothing lasts forever in this world. Nevertheless it was an amazing run(pun!), Sonic.

Thank you and farewell. </3

DarkFell
05-12-2017, 12:53 AM
Despite my 'parting' with the comic series, I am rather sad to see that Archie StH will eventually go away.

I'm not entirely sold on the 'reconned character designs' but, I will miss the series for what it was, and not as much on what it has become. (I think I read through most of the issues past into where Sonic Adventure Eggman came into play before I mostly dropped off from the series.)

I mentioned mostly because I bought issue #166 and a Sonic Digest issue some years back. Spaz still has talent with the scenic designs, and I wish that J. Axer could have done more penciling work within the Sonic comics because his penciling for The Chaotix Connection story was pretty cool.

oldmanwinters
05-24-2017, 01:01 PM
Nice little tribute piece to the Archie Sonic run on Polygon, even if the author seems to fudge or gloss over some of the details:
https://www.polygon.com/comics/2017/5/22/15666974/sonic-the-hedgehog-comic

I, for one, appreciated the soft-reboot, as I find most of Penders' contributions to the mythos tiring, cliched, and border-line obnoxious, especially after the 1999-2000 Sonic Adventure tie-ins. Still, I do like the Satam art styling for characters like the Freedom Fighters, Julian Robotnik and the House of Acorn.

Coola Yagami
05-26-2017, 10:48 PM
Man, I'm surprised this is happening now, especially with more games coming out. This really has been a long journey for them. Starting out adapting a bizzare mix of the 90's Sonic cartoons... then making up extra characters and new villains to fill in the gap between Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure... to then adding all of the new characters from Sonic Adventure and so on.

It's kind of what I wished would have happened to TMNT Adventures.... to kinda keep it going with new characters and stories, long after the 80's cartoon ended, and then finding ways to incorporate Hun and other 2K3 elements once that cartoon hit.

Eiko
05-27-2017, 01:29 AM
Wow i could kinda see this would happen sooner or later. I use to love this comic, heck even more than the tmnt at one stage. I started to loose interest after that mega man crossover the story's just didn't feel the same after that what a shame.

ZariusTwo
07-13-2017, 01:30 PM
In another grizzly chapter of the Archie Sonic situation...we learn Ian Flynn has went six months without any work at the company. On anything. Even Jughead, [said to be on hiatus], he has no idea what's going on, but apparently there may be news at the end of the month.

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/07/01/archie-update-ian-flynn-ive-heard-we-should-get-sonic-news-by-end-of-july/

Shark_Blade
07-13-2017, 10:46 PM
They are handling this so badly tbh.

Papenbrook
07-19-2017, 06:35 PM
It's been confirmed.

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/07/19/sonic-pr-announces-end-of-partnership-with-archie-comics/

It's the end of an era.

TurtleTitan97
07-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Darn shame. Loved this series.

ZariusTwo
07-20-2017, 04:48 AM
Hopefully Boom or IDW pick up the rights and they give the book a proper ending before they move on to something else. In the meantime, we have the online fan continuation (http://archiesoniconline.com/). If fan continuations are your thing anyway.

oldmanwinters
07-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Wish they could have worked out a deal to push the ongoing series to #300 and have that be the finale. Or even any finale. Or even just complete the current 4-issue arc they were on before the suspension. Ah, well, Archie Sonic, even after 24 years, it felt like we barely knew ya...

oldmanwinters
07-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Meanwhile, Penders fiddles while Mobius burns...
https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/887815685941874688

sdp
07-20-2017, 11:38 PM
The fan continuation is the best thing the comic could have, since they won't be restricted in using any characters and they can finish of the stories for fans, not even Archie was going to ever do that.

It's maybe not such a bad thing the comic is ending, it went through so many things and was a convoluted mess, even with the current reboot. A new take on the characters would be good without the mess that had been built after 20+ years.

That's not to say the comics didn't do cool things or that the current reboot wasn't good. The comic just didn't know what it was, its own thing or Sega Sonic. At elast any new comic will be Sega Sonic only and the comic should've always kept its Mobius expanded universe going without having to deal with Sega Sonic stuff as the universes don't match very well.

Definitely an end of an era but it was time.

DestronMirage22
07-21-2017, 01:48 AM
It's been confirmed.

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/07/19/sonic-pr-announces-end-of-partnership-with-archie-comics/

It's the end of an era.

I've been expecting to see this but it still hurts. It particularly stings when I remember that the 1st comic book I ever read was an issue of Archie Sonic. This book's always been there, it's absence will leave a huge mark on the franchise.

Meanwhile, Penders fiddles while Mobius burns...
https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/887815685941874688
That dolt. Why does he always do stuff like that?

ZariusTwo
07-21-2017, 05:11 AM
What's this about Penders shutting down a SATAM movie? Was it considered after the DVDs came out for it?

TurtleTitan97
07-21-2017, 05:47 PM
Sonic is coming to IDW in 2018: https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/888536084472352770

Fingers crossed for a TMNT crossever? :D

oldmanwinters
07-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Sonic is coming to IDW in 2018: https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/888536084472352770

Woohoo!

Let's hope they hire Ian Flynn as head writer, even if it is a new continuity.

Then... let's cross Sonic over with the TMNT!

Powder
07-21-2017, 06:03 PM

Then... let's cross Sonic over with the TMNT!

No!!!

:tconfuse:

Shark_Blade
07-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Sonic joining IDW with TMNT now??? My biggest fandoms under one roof???

AhhhhhHhHhHhFfwhdbjfksngwgshbf

oldmanwinters
07-21-2017, 06:22 PM
No!!!

:tconfuse:

You just don't want to feel obligated to buy yet another TMNT monthly issue? I can understand that. So many TMNT books coming out the rest of this year!

Powder
07-21-2017, 07:09 PM
There is no purpose for it. They're too unalike. It's stupid, like some Deviantart kid's fanwank. I'm all for crossovers but that's one which just makes no sense at all.

TMNT_Guy
07-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Really disappointed with this news. I've been disappointed with Sonic's current direction for almost a decade now, but I've remained a fan through the soft reboot of the comics which was the only thing that still felt like the Sonic I fell in love with. All the IDW announcement means to me is Sonic will now have a competent publisher. It doesn't tell me if the great writers will return, it doesn't tell me if the wonderful artists will return, it doesn't tell me if the memorable comic exclusive characters will return and it doesn't tell me if this new comic will be worth my time.

The lack of a conclusion to Sonic: Mega Drive will be an open wound for many. I hope at the very, VERY least IDW will be able to reprint the older stories. I've been waiting for what feels like forever for the Champions story arc to get a trade paperback release.
Let's hope they hire Ian Flynn as head writer, even if it is a new continuity
For me it's Ian Flynn or bust. I really hate sounding so negative, but I'm tired of Sega hiring people who don't understand what makes Sonic special, with Sonic Mania being a rare exception. Ian's knowledge and passion for the franchise are still unrivaled.

I'll be extremely disappointed if the Freedom Fighters don't come back. To me characters like Sally, Bunnie and Nicole are to Sonic what characters like Scrooge McDuck, Gyro Gearloose and Gladstone Gander are to Donald Duck. I doubt I'll ever see these characters again officially, but you never know.

oldmanwinters
07-21-2017, 07:31 PM
There is no purpose for it. They're too unalike. It's stupid, like some Deviantart kid's fanwank. I'm all for crossovers but that's one which just makes no sense at all.

I hear where you are coming from but...

1. Don't judge a franchise based on its fandom.
2. Sonic has had some surprising crossovers before (the Image Universe, for instance).
3. The TMNT are about as versatile a property as you can find.
4. There is a lot of crossover with the fandom, as both properties matured alongside each other.
5. There has already been crossover among the creative staff that worked on both properties.
6. I have read somewhere that the TMNT were a spiritual influence in the creation of Sonic the Hedgehog's character design and personality. I wish I could remember the source.

Powder
07-21-2017, 07:47 PM
I hear where you are coming from but...

1. Don't judge a franchise based on its fandom.
2. Sonic has had some surprising crossovers before (the Image Universe, for instance).
3. The TMNT are about as versatile a property as you can find.
4. There is a lot of crossover with the fandom, as both properties matured alongside each other.
5. There has already been crossover among the creative staff that worked on both properties.
6. I have read somewhere that the TMNT were a spiritual influence in the creation of Sonic the Hedgehog's character design and personality. I wish I could remember the source.

1. Didn't. I'm a fan too...
2. Doesn't mean they're a good fit. :tlol:
3. Sure, but to an extent which varies based on iteration. You could do a Sonic crossover with the Fred Wolf/early Archie turtles, maybe. All else, it'd be too kooky & out of place. IDW turtles with Sonic? C'mon. Goofy. Nooooo wayyyy.
4/5/6. By that logic, a lot of very unsavory crossovers could occur. Dangerous thinking! :P

oldmanwinters
07-21-2017, 07:51 PM
4/5/6. By that logic, a lot of very unsavory crossovers could occur. Dangerous thinking! :P

Remember when Mirage let the TMNT crossover with Creed?:tlol:

Shark_Blade
07-21-2017, 08:02 PM
Can't wait for the TMNT crossover! :tlove:

Batman, Ghostbusters & X-Files crossovers were awesome.

Powder
07-21-2017, 08:06 PM
Remember when Mirage let the TMNT crossover with Creed?:tlol:

I didn't think that was too bad at all, personally.

sdp
07-21-2017, 09:23 PM
IDW already made a ton of dumb crossovers with the TMNT so I'm all for a Sonic crossover.

Which is not even the first time they've had one when they both shared Archie as their publisher:
http://i.imgur.com/DfKz9Fa.jpg

oldmanwinters
07-21-2017, 09:56 PM
IDW already made a ton of dumb crossovers with the TMNT so I'm all for a Sonic crossover.

Which is not even the first time they've had one when they both shared Archie as their publisher:
http://i.imgur.com/DfKz9Fa.jpg

There was also a one-panel cameo of Michelangelo in the 2nd issue of Sonic's original mini-series. I hear it was even edited out of the reprint collections, but I can't confirm that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4WgJ4djlPM#t=04m49s

TurtleTitan97
07-21-2017, 10:02 PM
And let's not forget that time Bebop & Rocksteady made a cameo appearance in Sonic Universe:https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/2/25/Cameos_Galore.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130404222032

Ninjinister
07-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Before anyone throws weight either way on whether a crossover would work, maybe we should see what Sonic's new book is going to be like? It would obviously be IDW's version of Sonic who would cross over with them so we don't know what it'll be like.

Honestly I still want TMNT to cross over with Godzilla if they're going to cross over with any other IDW book (that is, if they still have the license? I haven't seen a GZ book from them in a bit). Since Sophie's a kaiju fan (I know, more Gamera than anything else, but I don't know who has a Gamera comic license) she seems like the perfect fit for a book like that.

However I don't really care yet what they do with Sonic. They could cancel everything Sonic related except for the social media and Sonic Boom cartoon and be fine. They don't even need games.

DestronMirage22
07-22-2017, 12:08 AM

Oh man, that's some great news! No other company is better suited to get the license than IDW is. They'll do a great job with the brand and publish some great stories, I just know it!

If a crossover with the TMNT were to happen, I'd prefer it be FW than the IDW versions. Tone wise FW is just better suited for Sonic. But who knows, they could probably make it work either way.

Can't wait to see how the new series is, though!

Shark_Blade
07-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Apparently Sonic did have some short crossovers (more like cameos) before with TMNT!

http://imgur.com/keh4k3J.jpg

http://imgur.com/krtAWq0.jpg

I'm more optimistic than ever now, bring it on! :tlove:

TurtleTitan97
07-22-2017, 08:49 AM
You're a few post behind already, Shark.

Shark_Blade
07-22-2017, 08:52 AM
Oh but I guess the second one wasn't seen yet in this thread. :P

Edit: oh it's in YouTube. But okay I got the pic one. :lol:

oldmanwinters
07-22-2017, 01:30 PM
Oh but I guess the second one wasn't seen yet in this thread. :P

Edit: oh it's in YouTube. But okay I got the pic one. :lol:

Do you know if this panel got edited out of the reprints?

Shark_Blade
07-22-2017, 06:31 PM
No, I just found it on Twitter. I don't think it's edited out, it's on print.

dl316bh
07-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Before anyone throws weight either way on whether a crossover would work, maybe we should see what Sonic's new book is going to be like?
Eh, that's an easy guess. It's likely going to be heavily slanted towards Sega Sonic, with elements from other iterations bleeding into it in new forms, like how they've handled the Turtles. Probably won't be anything from Archie at the start, but maybe something over time when they figure out where they might fit.

oldmanwinters
07-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Eh, that's an easy guess. It's likely going to be heavily slanted towards Sega Sonic, with elements from other iterations bleeding into it in new forms, like how they've handled the Turtles. Probably won't be anything from Archie at the start, but maybe something over time when they figure out where they might fit.

I always hoped Sonic would integrate the DiC cartoon cast into their games, but it only happened once as a cameo in a bonus stage of Sonic Spinball (not developed by Sonic Team) and almost happened courtesy of Sega of America in a couple of cancelled games during the Genesis and 32X eras.

sdp
07-22-2017, 07:43 PM
I always wanted to see the SatAM cast appear in Sonic games but that dream was likely never to happen. It didn't happen when the show was relevant, it didn't happen after years of Archie sonic happening, it won't be happening after the Pender's saga, and it didn't happen after the Sega re-designs and CG renders of the SatAM cast so I'm guessing it just won't happen. Damn did those CG re-designs Sega made tease fans that maybe it would finally happen.

If Archie were smart, they could've released a generic anthropomorphic animals comic even before they lost the license or even now and continue with what they had been doing for years before Sega gave stricter mandates on what they could do with their characters. It likely wouldn't have been as Sonic but it would've kept a big part of the furry community buying their comics without the license to worry about.

dl316bh
07-22-2017, 07:49 PM
I always hoped Sonic would integrate the DiC cartoon cast into their games, but it only happened once as a cameo in a bonus stage of Sonic Spinball (not developed by Sonic Team) and almost happened courtesy of Sega of America in a couple of cancelled games during the Genesis and 32X eras.
I have some nostalgic affection for SatAM and early Archie Sonic, but I never cared either way that they weren't brought over, save maybe Bunny and Antoine. The moment passed a long time ago anyway, given how the game series has marched forward and the characters it's introduced over the years.

They'll probably figure out something to do with them in whatever IDW is doing, should they decide to go that route, though.

oldmanwinters
07-23-2017, 07:33 PM
I wish this was a real thing!
https://twitter.com/DAIROCKETTO/status/888566066183495680/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ZariusTwo
07-24-2017, 08:27 AM
I always wanted to see the SatAM cast appear in Sonic games but that dream was likely never to happen. .

It almost did

Pnsn0_w6K9Q

oldmanwinters
07-24-2017, 06:42 PM
IDW Editor to be Joe Hughes
10DQRLgxCFQ

IDW claims it is recruiting creative talent both familiar and new to the Sonic franchise.

Shark_Blade
07-24-2017, 07:53 PM
That's good to hear. :)

It almost did

Pnsn0_w6K9Q

It plays so slow I'd be annoyed within 5 seconds tbh.

TMNT_Guy
07-24-2017, 08:39 PM
Technically, some of them did appear in a Sonic game. Sally, Rotor, Bunnie and even Sonic's dog Muttski appeared in the "Trapped Alive" mini game in Sonic Spinball.
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/b/b3/SpinballSpecial.png/revision/latest?cb=20090122002541

They were also set to be playable in the cancelled Sonic Xtreme back when it was still under the title of "Sonic Mars (http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Mars_characters#Playable_characters)" but they were dropped early on when development moved from the 32X to the Saturn.

oldmanwinters
07-24-2017, 10:23 PM
They were also set to be playable in the cancelled Sonic Xtreme back when it was still under the title of "Sonic Mars (http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Mars_characters#Playable_characters)" but they were dropped early on when development moved from the 32X to the Saturn.

I really liked the ambition of that game's concept. It was exploring the rescue and partner-system gameplay years before the Sonic Advance series became a reality. Because it was a Sega of America project, I don't have much expectation it would have been well-executed, but still... points for aspirations!

oldmanwinters
07-25-2017, 01:53 PM
This had the makings of a really interesting analysis of the Sonic fanbase and why the comics had such longevity. But then it just stopped.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-the-power-of-fan-love-kept-archies-sonic-the-hedgehog-comic-alive-for-24-years

Darth Knuckles
07-28-2017, 11:02 PM
I can't say that it was a surprise that the Archie Comic got cancelled because of the way SEGA wanted the announcement handled but it is still a big loss for me (media/hobby-wise). It was the Archie Comics that made me love Sonic for all of these years. Whenever SEGA made a lackluster game I could at least know I still had this great soap opera of a comic series to go back to.

I do feel like no Classic Sonic characters from the games like Mighty, Ray, Nack, Bean, or Bark will ever be seen again at IDW since SEGA doesn't acknowledge them besides in wanted posters in their games; which I actually really hate to be honest. And I think we've sadly seen the end of the SatAM Freedom Fighters. I think SEGA will want the IDW reboot to be a Modern Sonic centered comic that only deals with characters from the Sonic franchise from 1999 till today.

I will sorely miss the Sonic/Knuckles Archie Comics but at least there are around 500 issues I can always go back to to relive the "good 'ol days" for me personally.

But.... I wouldn't mind reading a Sonic/TMNT IDW crossover though! :tcool:

ZariusTwo
07-29-2017, 03:39 AM
Apparently Ian Flynn's come out and revealed he was planning on making Sally bi sexual and embark on a romance with Nicole.

TMNT_Guy
07-29-2017, 07:46 AM
Apparently Ian Flynn's come out and revealed he was planning on making Sally bi sexual and embark on a romance with Nicole.
Kind of. This all started on his podcast "the BumbleKast" where when replying to a fan question if Sally and Nicole were a couple, he basically just said that he wouldn't be opposed to it.

Latter after the books cancellation someone on twitter asked one again if Sally and Nicole were a couple and he tweeted "Aleah & I were amazed we got away with it being so blatant."

And I honestly don't see it. Not that I would be against that sort of thing, but even with this page (https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/6-archie-sonic-main-discussion-see-op-post-regarding-hiatus/?do=findComment&comment=1138462)from the amazing Spark of Life story, to me it just looks like they're good friends. Which would make sense because in this canon Nicole, back when she was an emotionless computer, was her only friend prior to the formation of the Freedom Fighters. To me I can't help but feel Ian just threw that out there to make the fans happy since it's unlikely we will ever get to see these characters ever again.

But Ian is one of the few writers in all of Sonic's history that not only understood the characters, a rare feat on it's own, but respect for Sonic's entire history. So who am I to say what his intentions really were.

In other news, IDW allegedly confirmed that Ian Flynn is on their "radar" (https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/22450-idws-sonic-the-hedgehogcoming-2018/?do=findComment&comment=1138374) but they can't confirm anything officially yet.

sdp
07-29-2017, 12:37 PM
Yeah, that sound like a clickbaity article, Ian Flynn just seemed to change his wording from "it could happen" to "oh yeah we were doing it" to pander to his base but that's about it. Not like Sega would've ever allowed it. And that "proof" is just grasping at straws. A hug doesn't mean anything, if shippers want to see something cool but come on, don't you hug people of your own sex or friends?

ZariusTwo
07-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Hard reboot for IDW

https://twitter.com/tssznews/status/891509184814043137

Shark_Blade
07-31-2017, 01:11 PM
I kinda expect that too, it's too messy to continue from Archie. Just start fresh.

I wonder how different it's going to be. Gonna miss the Freedom Fighters, especially Prince Elias & Princess Sally Acorn.

ZariusTwo
07-31-2017, 01:41 PM
This feels relevant now

P3egjCLAbc4

dl316bh
07-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Hard reboot for IDW

It would have been shocking if they didn't reboot. There's a lot of baggage there. Not to mention I can't think of a lot of instances where a company lost a license and the new licensee immediately picked up what they were doing.

DestronMirage22
07-31-2017, 04:15 PM
Hard reboot for IDW

I'm disappointed, but I understand why they'd do that.
I do hope there's some Archie influence, though. At least in the form of old characters making appearances.

Eiko
07-31-2017, 05:01 PM
I kinda expect that too, it's too messy to continue from Archie. Just start fresh.

I wonder how different it's going to be. Gonna miss the Freedom Fighters, especially Prince Elias & Princess Sally Acorn.

Same, Prince Elias was my fave Character. dam u Ken Penders.:x

oldmanwinters
07-31-2017, 05:42 PM
I favor a hard reboot, but still hope we see some of the characters from the DiC cartoon era, even if only in minor supporting roles.

dl316bh
07-31-2017, 07:20 PM
No matter what else IDW decides to do, one thing I hope is a priority is good art, because man, the Archie Sonic series had some awful chickenscratch during most of the time everyone remembers best. That's not even getting into the stuff I've seen over the years from after I stopped reading.

I favor a hard reboot, but still hope we see some of the characters from the DiC cartoon era, even if only in minor supporting roles.
I wouldn't be upset at Bunny and Antoine showing up somewhere. I still remember them pretty fondly.

oldmanwinters
07-31-2017, 10:17 PM
No matter what else IDW decides to do, one thing I hope is a priority is good art, because man, the Archie Sonic series had some awful chickenscratch during most of the time everyone remembers best. That's not even getting into the stuff I've seen over the years from after I stopped reading.

I wouldn't be upset at Bunny and Antoine showing up somewhere. I still remember them pretty fondly.

From what I've seen, things started going downhill (artistically and narrative) around the Sonic Adventure arc and didn't rebound until sometime around issue #260 when Tracy Yardley came on board and Penders departed the creative team.

dl316bh
08-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Speaking of the art, there was a tumblr a few years back that posted a bunch of the worst of the Dark Ages of Archie Sonic.

http://amomentofarchiesonic-blog.tumblr.com/

Even stuff from the early years - which I obviously haven't read in a long time - kind of throws me, because I don't remember it looking that bad.

From what I've seen, things started going downhill (artistically and narrative) around the Sonic Adventure arc and didn't rebound until sometime around issue #260 when Tracy Yardley came on board and Penders departed the creative team.
I've long thought the Archie Sonic universe should have wrapped and rebooted a bit after Endgame for that reason. I know Ken Penders took over completely past that point, so that didn't help, and the games started having actual stories and characterization that didn't work with anything SatAM and Archie had done. The thing I remember best about the Adventure adaptation is how they had to struggle to reconcile what they'd already set up with what the actual franchise as a whole was doing, so you've got Not-Morgan Freeman leading them to a secret "overlander" city somewhere - I think I remember it being underground or in a mountain - with environmental controls and a painted sky.

I dropped off between Adventure and Adventure 2, so I missed the worst of it.

DarkFell
08-12-2017, 11:20 PM
What's this about Penders shutting down a SATAM movie? Was it considered after the DVDs came out for it?
Ben Hurst tried at one time to collaborate w/ Penders for what could have been, a SatAM movie. It backfired.

It took me a while to find the material (and it's source), but ..here it is.

I did consult with DIC to see if there was a way to generate some enthusiasm for a feature film to be the "Third Season" of SatAm. I was given the name of a SEGA executive and had a most pleasant conversation. She had to go to a meeting, but said she would like to talk to me more about the idea.

The next day, I got a call from Ken Penders, who had been alerted by his contact in their office that I was interested in getting a Sonic movie going. I generously offered to include him in the effort and told him my strategy. Get SEGA to become invested in the idea by hiring us to interview their creative game designers, execs, etc and see if we could develop a story line that would fulfill the third season - and simultaneously give them creative ideas to develop new games. A win-win, situation.

Then, I called SEGA back, but I was shocked when the exec "lit" into me, telling me, "People pay US to develop Sonic product, we don't pay them!" Then she hung up on me. Obviously, Penders had related my strategy to them in a less-than-flattering way. Thanks for the knife, Ken.

So, I gave up. Later, I was informed by friendly fans that Penders had written in his message board or some such place that "Ben Hurst doesn't know how movies are made in Hollywood." (Hey Ken, read "Adventures in Screenwriting" by William Goldman and get some humility) Then he dropped hints that HE would be the writer for a big Sonic Feature Film. That was three years ago.

http://www.saturdaymorningsonic.com/features/ben_hurst/

ZariusTwo
08-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Thanks. Sounds like he was a victim of Chinese whispers