PDA

View Full Version : How did you first leave and then rediscover your TMNT interest?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-20-2017, 03:28 PM
The title says itself, how did you first "leave" your TMNT interest and then rediscover. I never lost my left interest, by the mid-1990's, feeling ashamed for still liking cartoons. But I always wanted to know how it ended, both the cartoon and Archie comics.

One day in late-2003, some days before Christmas, I surfed the Internet for TMNT (still not had broadband then). Still only knowing the cartoon, Archie comics and three original films. I discovered a lot of fans being in their early-20's, laos rediscovering their TMNT interest. I also learned of the 2003 cartoon, and then it all began.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 03:59 PM
I got into the Turtles more or less in the mid-late 90s when reruns of the FW started to air here, having watched the first 3 seasons since my brother wanted to re-watch some Turtles for the nostalgia sake, him being a teenager by then. And ofc I had to suffer through the 1st NES TMNT game at the time as well.

But I only truly became a big TMNT fan around 2002-2003 when the FW series was rerunning again on cable and then the 2k3 series would debut on local tv.

01-20-2017, 04:05 PM
But I only truly became a big TMNT fan around 2002-2003 when the FW series was rerunning again on cable and then the 2k3 series would debut on local tv.

I think I first bought a DVD with the first three episodes of the 2003-2009 cartoon in mid-2004, then finding the series on Cartoon Network in early-2005.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:16 PM
I think I first bought a DVD with the first three episodes of the 2003-2009 cartoon in mid-2004, then finding the series on Cartoon Network in early-2005.
Cartoon Network didn't air the 2k3 series here. We got the UK Cartoon Network up until late 2000s or so. UK CN which ceased its emission at 21h00 for Turner Classical Movies.

01-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Cartoon Network didn't air the 2k3 series here. We got the UK Cartoon Network up until late 2000s or so. UK CN which ceased its emission at 21h00 for Turner Classical Movies.

OK, but it Cartoon Network Sweden aired the 2003-2009 series for at least a while.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:21 PM
OK, but it Cartoon Network Sweden aired the 2003-2009 series for at least a while.
I didn't know CN programming was different for each country. OK being different in the USA I can believe but among European countries? Quite surprising.

01-20-2017, 04:21 PM
I didn't know CN programming was different for each country. OK being different in the USA I can believe but among European countries? Quite surprising.

Did Nickelodeon air it in Portugal?

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:23 PM
Did Nickelodeon air it in Portugal?
What the 2k3 series? No idea. Hell I don't even know if Nick was available on cable here in the previous decade. In the 90s Nick was a satellite/parabolic channel. As was CN for a while for that matter until it became available on cable later.

CyberCubed
01-20-2017, 04:25 PM
I never left TMNT. Got into it around 1987 as a 3 year old and remained interested every day for 25+ years. Even in the "dead years" from 1997-2001 when all we had was Next Mutation and Image I still followed those until the revival in the early 2000's. You don't "leave" TMNT.

Once you go TMNT you never go back.

01-20-2017, 04:25 PM
What the 2k3 series? No idea. Hell I don't even know if Nick was available on cable here in the previous decade. In the 90s Nick was a satellite/parabolic channel. As was CN for a while for that matter until it became available on cable later.

Nickelodeon Portugal was started on 1 June 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelodeon_(Portugal)

But which channel did you use for watching the 2003-2009 series?

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Nickelodeon Portugal was started on 1 June 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelodeon_(Portugal)

But which channel did you use for watching the 2003-2009 series?
Wait, only in 2005? Because I remember watching Nick in some hotels back in the 90s when I was a kid. Although I think Rugrats and Ah Real Monsters aired on terrestrial TV... as did Ren Stimpy for that matter, but that one was in English.

I watched on a terrestrial channel. SIC aired it in the early Saturday mornings iirc. It sucks that it was dubbed. Man I miss the days where most cartoons were not dubbed here.

01-20-2017, 04:38 PM
It sucks that it was dubbed

I don't think you care much for it as a child.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:40 PM
I don't think you care much for it as a child.
I was already 12-13 when 2k3 aired here. So yes, I did. I mean ofc I still watched but wished it wasn't so.

Back in the 80s-early 90s kids here would watch 1987 turtles and Tiny Toon Adventures in English and didn't complain, Just like me and my classmates were playing Pokémon and other video games in English in 4th grade and managed to survive.

In some countries they even dub live action tv. No wonder people in France, Spain and Italy have such insufferable English.

IndigoErth
01-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Was a casualty of being first generation when the "kids thing" sigma was strongest and entirely lacked older fans or internet to support the concept that it's fine to still be into them at 15 (around '94/early '95). Esp as a 15-year-old girl, who I guess is only deemed 'normal' if you only like stereotypical mid-teen girl things. Parents who think it's fine to try to shame their child out of liking a harmless thing like TMNT are jerks. I'm glad times have changed, that older support for such things is easy to find, that it's cool to like superhero stuff, and fun stuff in general, as an adult now... And that newer generations of fans will always have older ones in existence to stand by the notion that it isn't just some "kid's thing"... they are so lucky and have no idea.

Nick's series takes the credit for getting me back. Thanks to my mother I actively avoided any discussion of or anything to do with the Turtles for nearly two decades, which I feel bad about now; guilty for ever allowing myself to feel ashamed as they never deserved that, but it was forced against my own will.

But I came across 2012 sometime in the first few months of 2013 and decided stop and give it a chance. It hooked me and I proceeded to catch as many repeats as possible to catch up.

Glad I gave it a chance. And, at the risk of sounding cheesy, dare I say I needed them back; esp my beloved fave and kindred spirit unlike any I've ever found elsewhere, real or fictional... something a bit morale boosting about that, and stuff you don't realize what you lost until you have it back. Just glad I got my butt back here in time enough to enjoy seeing them hit 30 and get these new movies and attention because of it. Had I not been forced I don't think I'd have lost them to begin with, but I have to say it's a nice experience getting to rediscover them from an older perspective.

neatoman
01-20-2017, 04:46 PM
Well, there wasn't a lot of new material released between Turtles Forever and the IDW series, that's pretty much it. I got back into TMNT after I started reading IDW around 2012.

01-20-2017, 04:47 PM
I was already 12-13 when 2k3 aired here. So yes, I did. I mean ofc I still watched but wished it wasn't so.

Back in the 80s-early 90s kids here would watch 1987 turtles and Tiny Toon Adventures in English and didn't complain, Just like me and my classmates were playing Pokémon and other video games in English in 4th grade and managed to survive.

In some countries they even dub live action tv. No wonder people in France, Spain and Italy have such insufferable English.

Here is the dubbing map of Europe.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dubbing_films_in_Europe1.png

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Here is the dubbing map of Europe.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dubbing_films_in_Europe1.png
You got the wrong url but it's this one right:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Dubbing_films_in_Europe.png

Blue subbed, red dubbed.

Jephael
01-20-2017, 04:58 PM
I briefly lost interest my junior year in high school when I started liking girls, but then around graduation in 1999 while working at Wendy's I started going to Blockbuster and renting old VHS tapes of the original cartoon and would go online to look up fan sites, which lead me to meeting Ivey, Andrew and the other members of the fandom at the time. Sometimes I look back and wonder what might have been if I had invested more in people from my high school days instead of people I met on the internet.

01-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Well, there wasn't a lot of new material released between Turtles Forever and the IDW series, that's pretty much it. I got back into TMNT after I started reading IDW around 2012.

But it's just two years between them.

FredWolfLeonardo
01-20-2017, 08:13 PM
I first got interested in tmnt during 2007 when my dad took me to see the film in cinemas. I was 9 at the time. The film sparked my interest and I began playing tmnt video games and watching the 2k3 series which in my home country was airing on Cartoon Network. However, I lost interest as more popular franchises like Pokemon and Dbz overshadowed turtles.

It was about six years later I discovered the Nick series airing on tv and I instantly got hooked after giving it a chance. From there, my interest in tmnt bloomed as I discovered FW, the original movie trilogy, more than a hundred 2k3 episodes I had not seen and Turtles Forever. My interest in the franchise is still going strong and I don't expect it to die down anytime soon.

Powder
01-20-2017, 08:33 PM
I've always rode heavily with TMNT but it was the 25th anniversary that inspired me to get back into collecting & interact with the fandom.

sdp
01-20-2017, 08:54 PM
I started to like the turtles since I was a little kid so I don't even know how but I loved them, of course this was during the turtle fad so it probably wasn't difficult to get into the turtles. I continued liking the turtles even after the fad ended and even if other shows came along that took some of the attention of the turtles like Power Ranger, Saint Seiya, etc.

However the lack of turtles merchandise/video games/show didn't help me stay huge into the turtles as the other fads/franchises that were big at the time had my attention. I was 100% in with The Next Mutation when merchandise came out. But as I grew older as a kid other things had my attention, Dragon Ball Z was now my favorite show as it was more "mature" and when you're 10=12 that's what you want, video games took more of my time and Star Wars along those things were more acceptable and everywhere even if I still liked TMNT. Pokemon became huge and got all my attention even if that wasn't as "mature" :lol:

after Pokemon well I became a teen so I was no longer interested in cartoons I just grew out of them and preferred video games in my early teens and later just music however when I saw the OT TMNT DVD of season 1 it made me really nostalgic but it really wasn't until volume 2 (or 3?) that I really got into TMNT hardcore as this nostalgia rushed of when I was a kid and saw there was this new awesome show that was a bit more "grown up" and it's around this time that I registered on the Drome. Since re-discovering the turtles I've never stopped liking them again, they're just something I like a lot and that will never change. Now I do go on breaks with franchises so I can go months or years without consuming any TMNT media or news and then I get the itch to get back into the fandom because of some big news or it's been so long TMNT just seems fresh again. I rotate a lot from franchise to franchise like this until I get burnt out and go the the next but that doesn't mean I don't like them, I just take small breaks.

CyberCubed
01-20-2017, 08:57 PM
Its funny how I never wavered from TMNT. I still plan to be here decades from now when we get the 4th, 5th, or 6th TMNT cartoons and educating all the future kids/teens in the fanbase the history of the franchise.

Jephael
01-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Its funny how I never wavered from TMNT. I still plan to be here decades from now when we get the 4th, 5th, or 6th TMNT cartoons and educating all the future kids/teens in the fanbase the history of the franchise.

There's only one person I trust to share the history of the TMNT with future generations: Michelle Ivey. As much flak as she's gotten about the internet, she's the one true TMNT fan and loves all aspects of it, no matter how trivial or corny as they may get. She's actually had conversations with the creators of the comics, shows, movies and toys we're all so fond of!

sdp
01-20-2017, 09:24 PM
oh boy. I think the fandom rather have the franchise they love die than that ever happen.

DevilSpooky
01-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Well, when I was a kid I was all about TMNT, the SNES Turtles in Time, the playmates toys, the FW wolf cartoon, original movies and the Archie comics was all I could think about, then I kinda wandered off mainly because of Biker Mice From Mars, around the time where Next Mutation came around I think (don't even rememember anything about the Red Skies FW years), but TMNT was always a part of me, but only as fond memories, even during my Dragon Ball fad (impossible to escape that here, it was evewhere and it was huge, bigger than anything else around here until then and ever since, for kids and adults alike).

Then the TMNT became a inside joke between me and my girl, with me always asking her to buy me a Turtle everytime she went shopping, until she bought me the 25th Anniversary re-releases of the Playmates toys, then the Nick show came and I was pulled back, tracked out every cartoon, every movie, every comic and every canon figure of the boys I could get my hands on, then the movie finally got off the ground and that's where I joined this forum, and here I am, having my life orbiting around the TMNT again, like I was when I was just a little kid...

Prowler
01-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Well, when I was a kid I was all about TMNT, the SNES Turtles in Time, the playmates toys, the FW wolf cartoon, original movies and the Archie comics was all I could think about, then I kinda wandered off mainly because of Biker Mice From Mars, around the time where Next Mutation came around I think (don't even rememember anything about the Red Skies FW years), but TMNT was always a part of me, but only as fond memories, even during my Dragon Ball fad (impossible to escape that here, it was evewhere and it was huge, bigger than anything else around here until then and ever since, for kids and adults alike).

I never understood how Biker Mice managed to get a cult following in our country.

dragonside
01-20-2017, 11:57 PM
when i was a kid, one of my friends introduced me to TMNT through the first movie on vhs... and my dad went to the flea market to find some more cartoon episodes. I think my brother was more into it than me.

Then there was a very long gap, and I did check out the 2003 4kids series on fox box from time to time and also the 1997 next mutation when it aired. But I never really "got into it". I was more into Pokemon...

Then... as I found my way to University, I made a trip to zellers... and bought Season 1 part 1 for $2 of the 2003 series in 2009 and that's how it all began. I become obsessed with gaining TURTLE POWER - 9 years and counting.

DarkFell
01-21-2017, 01:38 AM
TMNT started off as a kid thing for me. The FW cartoon eventually waned and so did my interest for the franchise. I eventually obtained the TMNT Challenges book from a former friend, but very little happened to bring me back into the TMNT vibe.

That mostly changed when I came across this thread http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=45750&highlight=james+avery+passed. After reading through that thread, I pushed myself into watching the old toon just 'for the heck of it.' Therefore, I re-watched many of the episodes of the old show through YouTube.

Even though I do not have a huge collection of TMNT stuff, I continue to read comics from both the IDW and the old Archie universes (whenever I can buy them!), bought a few shirts, and so far have most of the DVD's from the old show.

01-21-2017, 03:06 AM
I never understood how Biker Mice managed to get a cult following in our country.

The Biker Mice became successful, but it was probably the Power Rangers who mainly reduced the TMNT-fandom for many children around the world.

neatoman
01-21-2017, 03:18 AM
But it's just two years between them.

Yes, that's true but there wasn't much else for me to experience for the first time, at least not much I deemed worthwhile. I had seen all of the 2003 series, the movies, I wanted to read the Mirage comics but they weren't easy to find internationally yet (thank you IDW), I didn't think the Fred Wolf cartoon was worth watching without a better show to fall back on when it got too tiresome, I didn't feel like tracking down the out of print swedish translation of Adventures and I had been told too many bad things about the Next Mutation too check it out.

What's the point of being into something if you only have the bad parts left? It may only have been two years but it was two years where there wasn't anything interesting to check out.

01-21-2017, 03:25 AM
Yes, that's true but there wasn't much else for me to experience for the first time, at least not much I deemed worthwhile. I had seen all of the 2003 series, the movies, I wanted to read the Mirage comics but they weren't easy to find internationally yet (thank you IDW), I didn't think the Fred Wolf cartoon was worth watching without a better show to fall back on when it got too tiresome, I didn't feel like tracking down the out of print swedish translation of Adventures and I had been told too many bad things about the Next Mutation too check it out.

What's the point of being into something if you only have the bad parts left? It may only have been two years but it was two years where there wasn't anything interesting to check out.

TMNT Adventures would have been woth it meanwhile if you didn't read them before.

neatoman
01-21-2017, 06:11 AM
TMNT Adventures would have been woth it meanwhile if you didn't read them before.

Yeah but then there was the issue of tracking down a bunch of out of print comics from the 90's, it seemed a bit too much without the trades.

01-21-2017, 06:33 AM
Yeah but then there was the issue of tracking down a bunch of out of print comics from the 90's, it seemed a bit too much without the trades.

I bought some at a shop in Stockholm, Sweden around mid-2014.

neatoman
01-21-2017, 06:48 AM
I bought some at a shop in Stockholm, Sweden around mid-2014.

Comics Heaven or Serieboden?

01-21-2017, 07:04 AM
Comics Heaven or Serieboden?

Serieboden

Tetsu Deinonychus
01-21-2017, 09:03 AM
I can't say I ever really "left" TMNT. They always remained among my favourite characters. But, there were a few years where the only TMNT media still being produced were Next Mutation and the Image comic, and then not even those.

I watched Next Mutation, even though it was really bad, but I wasn't sad when it got cancelled. It was a misfire at best. And, I avoided Image comics like the plague because they were full of "Edgy, X-treme" nonsense back then (though I wish I had made an exception for The Maxx, as I've really been digging the MTV cartoon lately, and that one seems different). It turns out there was some good storytelling in Volume 3, but the "X-treme 90s" element is there too and turns me off the Image series (and most Image-published action comics) to this day.

So, I'd still watch the movies and read the Archie and Mirage comics from time to time and still considered myself a fan (I was never ashamed to like cartoons and never fit in with my classmates anyway, so I didn't care). But, there just wasn't any current material to be interested in.

But, that changed when I found out there would be a new show on the "Fox-Box" that would be more Mirage accurate. I got excited about that and looked it up, and found out about Mirage vol. 4 and this place, and the rest is history.

Wesley
01-21-2017, 09:17 AM
I never left TMNT. Got into it around 1987 as a 3 year old and remained interested every day for 25+ years. Even in the "dead years" from 1997-2001 when all we had was Next Mutation and Image I still followed those until the revival in the early 2000's. You don't "leave" TMNT.

Once you go TMNT you never go back.

I never left tmnt either. My first introduction to them was in the early 90s when I started watching the Fred Wolf cartoon as a kid. I stayed interested in watching the show in my teens when it was regularly rerun on RTÉ two in the 00s and watched the 4Kids series at the same time later on in that decade.

DevilSpooky
01-21-2017, 10:10 PM

It was badass, we went from toons like the FW turtles to an action packed toon with bikes, aliens and action, what more could a kid that was going through puberty want? Sure we also had things like Rurouni Kenshin, Gargoyles and Saint Seiya, but those where too serious for their own good for someone coming from FW TMNT, they wheren't for us back then, not yet at least.

ABrown
01-23-2017, 07:16 PM
I left at the age of 10 at the end of 1991 because I fell in love with Super Nintendo and Kelly Kapowski on Saved By The Bell. For whatever it's worth, all of the boys in my 5th grade class were going through the same thing. TMNT just wasn't even on any of our radars in 1992. The last memory that I have of the original series was the Technodrome leaving Dimension X and getting stuck in the frozen arctic. Then in 1996 I rediscovered my love for action cartoons. As a teenager I found the Beast Era of Transformers and the Red Sky Era of TMNT to be extremely entertaining.

THGhost
01-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Been a TMNT fan since the late years of the OT. Then I kinda moved on from it but got back into it once the 2K3 series started, then began reading the Mirage comics. Then lost interest again until the Nick series started. I guess primary school and high school got in the way. :P

Storm Eagle
01-24-2017, 06:57 AM
I fell off around 1991, even though I saw the third movie in the theater. Shortly after that, I was basically done with TMNT for good. It was the 2003 series that rekindled my interest, and I was buying the DVDs for it that came out, as well as for the original series, and even bought DVDs for the first two movies. Ever since, I've been back into it full force, except for Next Mutation, and I haven't been buying any of the comics.

01-25-2017, 10:24 AM
I fell off around 1991, even though I saw the third movie in the theater. Shortly after that, I was basically done with TMNT for good. It was the 2003 series that rekindled my interest, and I was buying the DVDs for it that came out, as well as for the original series, and even bought DVDs for the first two movies. Ever since, I've been back into it full force, except for Next Mutation, and I haven't been buying any of the comics.

But how did you fall out?

Dork of 1987
01-25-2017, 10:46 AM
I never stook with any show for long when I was a little kid in the 90s. Much as I loved the turtles back then, it came and went like anything else for me, and I left the show before the red sky tapes and didn't look back. The show was barely a blip on my radar even with the 2k3 cartoon and 07 movie. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I went through the typical depression and nostalgia stage everyone goes through at the time that I revisted the original cartoon. Only recently now that I'm almost 30 have I decided to watch, read, and play everything turtles. I'm not sure why.

01-25-2017, 10:52 AM
I never stook with any show for long when I was a little kid in the 90s. Much as I loved the turtles back then, it came and went like anything else for me, and I left the show before the red sky tapes and didn't look back. The show was barely a blip on my radar even with the 2k3 cartoon and 07 movie. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I went through the typical depression and nostalgia stage everyone goes through at the time that I revisted the original cartoon. Only recently now that I'm almost 30 have I decided to watch, read, and play everything turtles. I'm not sure why.

I was also in a nostalgia-stage (my early-20's) by the time I rediscovered the TMNT in late-2003 and early-2004.

Storm Eagle
01-25-2017, 04:15 PM
But how did you fall out?

It's called...just losing interest.

01-25-2017, 04:31 PM
It's called...just losing interest.

But was it voluntary, or did you feel ashame?

Walkabout
01-25-2017, 10:52 PM
My original "Turtlemania" phase ended with going to see the Secret Of The Ooze at the cinema- I came out of that over the TMNT.

I had the novel of the first film before it came out, saw that at the cinemas too and loved it to death-the second film was just so silly I pretty much dropped the TMNT and moved on to Toxic Crusaders as far as cartoons went and GI JOE (a pre existing love anyway) as far as toys.

Turtles In Time on the SNES was a big love in the 90's, but that was as far as it went, I wasn't buying or watching anything TMNT during the later half of the 90's.

It was getting the internet that kickstarted my TMNT love (as in, buying TMNT stuff) again.

pferreira
01-26-2017, 11:55 AM
My six year old nephew came round to my place yesterday and I had to keep him busy. I showed him the Turtles Visual History released back in 2014. He knows the Turtles and has seen bits of the Nick series and has fortunately/unfortunately seen the Next Mutation/Power Rangers cross over. He watches Power Rangers through YouTube when he visits that how that happened. He was interested in the book and had many questions to ask about the Fred Wolf series. He immediately recognised the Nick series, was indifferent towards the 2003 series, the 2014 Michael Bay movie and 2007 movie, wanted to buy all the toys in the book (had to tell him they don't sell that particular merchandise in shops any more). :lol:

The one thing he was truly impressed with while looking through the book was the first three live action movie Turtles. He was so impressed with the costumes. He thought they were real and I had to tell them there are people inside the costumes, not sure he's old enough to understand that.

Ended by showing him a copy of Mirage Issue 1 which he was very impressed that I had the first issue. He doesn't understand what a reproduction is. :D

Candy Kappa
01-26-2017, 12:19 PM
As a kid I had a short pause with TMNT when Biker Mice From Mars was the new hotness, but it didn't last very long.

Andrew NDB
01-26-2017, 12:24 PM
I can probably point to TMNT III. I seem to remember leaving the mostly-empty theater feeling mostly... empty. After that I never bothered hunting to see when the cartoon aired, and probably sold my toys to buy a SNES and play Final Fantasy II if I hadn't already.

There was a speck of light in that. There was a bookstore right next to what used to be the Parkway Plaza theater in Tukwila... and in that I saw a couple of collected Mirage books. I believe it was Book Two and Book Three of the non-colorized Mirage collected books. I perused them. I didn't buy them, but that put them on my radar.

At some point years later at my comic store, I kept staring at the cover for TMNT Vol. 1, #21. Maybe not, but I think I was still collecting the Archies at this point... until at least around #35 or so. Little fuzzy about this time as I know there was at least a few years where I wasn't reading or watching anything TMNT. Anyway, probably about the time I decided to buy Batman comics (terrible idea and impossible to keep up with) I finally bought TMNT Vol. 1, #21, and was really blown away. After I gradually bought up everything Mirage TMNT there at the store, I completed what I didn't have through the www.ninjaturtles.com shop.

ranger_scout
01-26-2017, 12:58 PM
When the original series went off the air I had lost interest. However, when I would go to Blockbuster in my pre-teenage years and noticed that they had some Power Rangers along with a few TMNT ones as well. I would went them frequently and later bought the Cowabunga Shredhead VHS off of Ebay.

Discogod
01-26-2017, 12:59 PM
I guess I starting drifting away from TMNT around late '92, although I still kept tabs on the comics, at least until the Image run. I'd just got oversaturated with TMNT stuff, plus I was getting older and getting into stuff like sports, which took up most of my time.

Then when I was in my mid-20s I heard about a new TMNT cartoon about to start airing which would be more like the original comics. I gave it a try, loved it, started buying the toys (this was about the time I started collecting toys seriously) and it just ballooned from there - if anything, I was more obsessed as an adult than I was as a child.

01-26-2017, 02:34 PM
When I rediscovered TMNT, the series were still a childhood nostalgia, and I only had my videotapes and comics. The Internet had became a part of everyday life and this community existed, but it wasn't just that easy to go online and pick an episode.

wvfan
01-30-2017, 06:14 PM
I first got into tmnt when the classic toon aired. I watched it as a kid. I got back into the them with the niko turtles. Due to the fact I had kids and like sharing lot of the stuff I liked as a kid with them.

Kendamu
02-01-2017, 04:15 AM
tl;dr: 1988-1993 (OT) was my first wave of fandom. 1996-1999 (comics) was my second wave. 2003-present is my third wave of fandom.

Long Version:

To remember that, I gotta think about what was going on with TMNT through my youth to find out exactly when I fell off the boat.

Let's see. I got into the OT during Season 2 (so, like 1988?) and was hardcore into TMNT through about 1993. During that time, my main focus shifted to BTAS, MMPR, and X-Men but I still watched Turtles every Saturday. About 1995-ish I got my first Mirage book and collected more from there. '96 was when Image started its run and that went through 1999.

It was around 1998 or 1999 that I got into Dragon Ball Z on Toonami (Moltar era). It was probably between the end of the Image run in 1999 and DBZ getting new episodes in September 2000 that I really stopped caring about the TMNT almost entirely for a little bit. I might've picked up one of my Mirage books once in awhile to kill some time, but that was about it.

I know that at some point during the time I wasn't into TMNT, I'd put the 1990 movie DVD on the TV while I would do stuff on the computer, but it was really background noise.

In 2001, TMNT was on my radar a little bit because of Volume 4, but at that point my entertainment was mostly anime and Adult Swim. I think Cowboy Bebop was my obsession at the time.

That means it probably wasn't until 2k3 hit TV that full-on Turtlemania reawakened in my blood again. The show didn't keep my interest through maybe the second season of its original airing, but I caught up with it later on. I was mainly hooked on Turtles via Tales Vol. 2 after that.

Since then, TMNT hasn't been my one thing that I follow with a laser-like focus, but it pretty much stayed in the top three things I might follow at any given time. Even between the end of Tales Vol. 2 in 2010 and the launch of the IDW comic in 2011, I was still pretty glued to already-existing TMNT media and was keeping my ear to the ground hoping to get any new info.

02-01-2017, 08:32 AM
I first got into tmnt when the classic toon aired. I watched it as a kid. I got back into the them with the niko turtles. Due to the fact I had kids and like sharing lot of the stuff I liked as a kid with them.

Do they like it? Having children is probably the best excuse for watching something that is mainly seen as a children's series. (especially as there people not knowing the Mirage comics)