PDA

View Full Version : My first TMNT toy

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-01-2017, 10:16 AM
What was your first TMNT toy, and when did you get it? I got all four turtles, and Krang, for Christmas present in 1991.

BoggleKng
02-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Leo, Donnie, and Splinter at my 8th birthday party, from a friend who was related to Peter Laird. There is a picture of me and my sister in the Turtle Power Documentary playing with them.

coreyrc87
02-01-2017, 11:17 AM
My first was Casey Jones —I thought he looked like Jason Voorhees (and even though I hadn't seen any of the Friday the 13th films because I was waaaaay too young, my cousin had a couple Friday the 13th posters in his room, so I thought Jason was awesome at a very young age). 4-year-old me promptly colored all over it with a black marker for some unknown reason, then tore the legs off and flushed them down the toilet... I didn't always make good decisions.

TMNachoT
02-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Donatello, from the old toon! I still have it .)

Autbot_Benz
02-01-2017, 11:33 AM
1992 Mutations Michelangelo

go_ninja84
02-01-2017, 11:33 AM
my first was Raphael i got for Christmas from my grandma the next day i got Leonardo from my parents on Christmas day

my brother got Donatello a few months prior and thats when i first got turned on to TMNT i bugged my mom and dad for months for one of my own

DestronMirage22
02-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Sewer Surfing Leonardo. I got him loose at a garage sale, and still have him to this day, albeit a little roughed up. At least his chest sticker is still in good condition.

OrokuYoshiFilms
02-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Breakfightin' Raphael, Rock 'N Roll Michelangelo, Retrocatapult I'll never forget that...lol.

Candy Kappa
02-01-2017, 11:47 AM
1988 (hardhead) Leonardo was my very first TMNT toy.

Discogod
02-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Michaelangelo and the Foot Soldier from the original line, just after Christmas 1989. My family were travelling up to my grandparents' house in Manchester and we stopped off at a motorway services. In the shop, I found those 2 figures, and even though they were twice as expensive than figures from a regular toy shop would be, I had to have them. I'd recently discovered the original comics (the cartoon hadn't started airing here yet), but those 2 figures took me from having a strong interest in the Turtles to being a full-blown obsessive.

It was almost a year later before I managed to get any more figures, though. They were hard as hell to find over here when they were first released, and it wasn't until late '90/early '91 that they started hitting in full force.

nellyp
02-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Sewer Swimmin' Donatello back in spring of 1990.

IndigoErth
02-01-2017, 01:11 PM
One of the old originals in late 80s. Pretty certain that Leo was my first, but beyond that there's not really any memory of when or how I got him. I probably just talked my mom into taking me to the store to look for the figures.

I do have a vague memory of my mom having a couple behind her back at home and giving me and my sister each one, but I think that my second and sister's first.

I wasn't one of those kids who was allowed to own a mass quantity of anything though, I don't think my parents could justify that on their budget. I eventually had all four originals, then later I had the ice hockey Leo and the one from the 3rd film. There's also a giant Mikey I got for Christmas one year if I can figure out where this stuff is at. I had a few books and whatnot, but that was it for TMNT toy ownership for me.

I vaguely remember picking out the ice hockey one in the store and my mom suggesting picking out one for my sister (baseball I think) as well as getting the football (U.S.) one for my dad. Although until I can hopefully track down my old figure case, the only one of our collective originals I currently have at hand is the football Leo I'd gotten my father. Surprisingly, it had remained sitting on his dresser all these years and passed it on to me in 2014, about a year before he passed away.

EddieNES
02-01-2017, 01:27 PM
I don't remember since I was so young, but I do have a distinct memory of getting mutating splinter and bebop. I liked the window flap.

This was at a store called Family Toy Warehouse.

I also remember my cousin getting the Technodrome. Even so young, I was super jealous.

Wesley
02-01-2017, 02:01 PM
My first tmnt toys were a few original 1988 action figures of a turtle or two, Foot Soldier, Knucklehead, Bebop, Rocksteady and Foot Clan era Shredder that were handed down to me from a cousin.

inaheap
02-01-2017, 02:54 PM
Original Hard Head Raph. The very first thing I saved my allowance for. I think that is why I remember it. Getting an allowance was a big deal for me. I saved again and got Leo. Mike and Donnie came for Christmas. I had enough for Mikey, but Mom managed to keep me from buying him. If possible I have bought the four brothers in that order ever since. When I get them at the same time that is the order they get opened in. A little o mage to my childhood.

Optimus Primer
02-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Raphael and Shredder(?).

Powder
02-01-2017, 06:44 PM
The original Michelangelo (along with Ace Duck).

DevilSpooky
02-02-2017, 03:14 AM
These (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kSSpsJbbIEU/UbxD4_zwYiI/AAAAAAAAIAw/yLZGtNQ3X50/s1600/TMNT+Ninja+Turtles+Yolanda+Comansi+Plastic+Figures +1991+PVC+Spain+(2).jpg) little guys, don't really remember when I got them but I remember them ever since I remember things, and I took them with me everywhere I went, then one time I was at my dad's work and one of his co-workers asked me where was Shredder, he said that if I had the Turtles I had to have Shredder as well, later that day he bought me the Playmates Shredder :teek: Safe to say now Shredder was too much for these little guys so eventually I got the Playmates TMNT as well, as I did April, Splinter and Ace Duck (why though, I don't know :trolleye:)

Powder
02-02-2017, 04:01 AM
I love those, always wanted 'em. They're made by a Germany company called Bully.

Candy Kappa
02-02-2017, 05:17 AM
I had some of the BULLY figures, but I had these guys. One set at my dad's place and one at my mom's :lol: Sadly I don't have any of them anymore

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jScAAOSwd0BV1zTJ/s-l300.jpg
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/YEYAAOSwsN9W~qJT/s-l225.jpg

Don's bo was removable.

Shortfuse
02-02-2017, 06:09 AM
The original Ninja (as opposed to Hero) Turtles Michelangelo figure in about 1991 - although Raphael was my favourite - either I just wanted Breakfightin' Raphael and they didn't have any or they didn't have any Raph figures at all - they did have the Storage Shell figures though.

Walkabout
02-02-2017, 07:05 AM
I bought Michealangelo and a Foot Soldier for my birthday in 89.

The big stand of TMNT toys in the toyshop was such a cool thing, I've never forgotten it.

Freeman
02-02-2017, 07:30 AM
1989 Christmas at Grandmas'

Wacky Action Rock N' Roll Michaelangelo + Foot Soldier
Turtlecycle

Mikey has always been my favourite. Despite I wanted the original one, I guess that was too hard to find and these two came together on some sort of sale pack.

Not a vehicle collector, but I wanted the Party Vagon too bad and was out of my parents reach, so mum wanted to know wich vehicle would I enjoy 'If Santa could'nt bring the Vagon'. I loved playing with that motorcycle and making Mikey arm spin at extra speed. Still got the figure (displayed, along with the rest of brothers I eventually got when I was a child), but I recon we gave the turtlecycle to the Curch.

wpugh2424
02-02-2017, 10:22 AM
1988 soft heads leo and don
Brother got hard head mike and soft head raph

DevilSpooky
02-02-2017, 06:27 PM
I love those, always wanted 'em. They're made by a Germany company called Bully.

You can find some on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-8-VINTAGE-TOY-FIGURES-SET-/301868850562?hash=item4648c91d82:g:514AAOSwAL9UggG n).

Wow, while I was looking for this I remembered their smell, it feels weird, it's like they're right here in my hands, it's so vividly :teek: (don't heve them with me at the moment, they're in my parents basement with all my childhood toys, I'll have to go search for them :tcry:

rinascimento
02-02-2017, 10:44 PM
1988 soft head leo, still remember that day vividly...

SavageSloth
02-03-2017, 12:34 AM
The original foot soldier. Was so happy. Thinking of it now makes me wonder why...

Shark_Blade
02-03-2017, 12:53 AM
TMNT inflatable punching bag. How stupid yet I loved it. :tlol:

Vundi
02-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Michaelangelo on a quick visit to Children's Palace in 1988. Been going ever since. Oddly enough, just today I got my SH Figuarts Michaelangelo figure from BBTS!! Can't wait to get home and crack it open.

dragonside
02-03-2017, 08:01 PM
I can't remember which one was my first....

However, I had a Raphael original, a Donatello turtle troll, and and sewer speaking mikey? it had the microphone type shell. I think I got those all at the same time now that I think about it.

Those were the best.

Wretched Reptile
02-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Original soft head Raph and Shredder, along with the Cheapskate. Man, Raph on that Cheapskate is such a nostalgic thing for me. I wanted him with it so badly on my first TMNT toy buying outing, and all because of the package art. And that Cheapskate kicked the ever-loving crap out of Shredder for days on end lol.

I got Baxter and a Wacky-Action Mouser weeks after that and Shredder made them take on all the abuse then. Appropriate, of course. :tlol:

shuriken
02-04-2017, 11:32 AM
I don't remember, but it was either head droppin' Donnie or Wacky Action Mikey. Mikey's arm broke and I lost Donnie. After that I got Mutatin' Raph and Lifegaurd Leo, and replaced the other two with Super Mike and cartoon Donnie. This rounded up my tmnt "roster" until I was about 11 and got the original 4 turtles to replace them. But those four have a special place in my heart.

Spidergreg
02-05-2017, 08:28 PM
I don't know why i have these pics but my first ninja turtle was a soft head Raphael.

http://i.imgur.com/zipVWCa.png

http://i.imgur.com/XCL2zS9.jpg

HallamSpaceCadet
02-10-2017, 05:58 PM
My older brother had some before me but I distinctly remember bringing Raphael the Space Cadet home from Beattie's Toys when I was 3 or 4. My Mum thought he was ridiculous. I thought he was awesome!

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-11-2017, 06:45 AM
1989 Christmas at Grandmas'

Wacky Action Rock N' Roll Michaelangelo + Foot Soldier
Turtlecycle

Mikey has always been my favourite. Despite I wanted the original one, I guess that was too hard to find and these two came together on some sort of sale pack.

Not a vehicle collector, but I wanted the Party Vagon too bad and was out of my parents reach, so mum wanted to know wich vehicle would I enjoy 'If Santa could'nt bring the Vagon'. I loved playing with that motorcycle and making Mikey arm spin at extra speed. Still got the figure (displayed, along with the rest of brothers I eventually got when I was a child), but I recon we gave the turtlecycle to the Curch.

Was TMNT in Spain already by Christmas 1989? Didn't hit Sweden until August 1990.

ProactiveMan
02-11-2017, 09:06 AM
I don't have a good picture in my mind, so I may be wrong, but I think I got Wacky Action Raph and Mike, as well as Usagi and Baxter on the same day.

Splint'r
02-11-2017, 12:25 PM
My very first TMNT figure in the 80s, was the original Rocksteady (soft head).
I became soooo obsessed with ninja turtles that I begged and begged for a turtle figure every week. My step dad ended up taking me to two different TRUs and all I could find were some of the secondary characters. NO turtles. I ended up grabbing Rocksteady, because no way would I go home empty handed. :lol:

While I was really bummed to not find a turtle, I did fall in love with my Rocksteady figure and would stare at it for days... I was between 9 and 10 years old then. I didn't finally get my first actual turtle figure, until I turned 11. I managed to buy a loose Raphael figure from another kid friend and then later, my mom finally grabbed me the other 3 figures which, by then, were available almost everywhere. The hype was dying down a bit. Only a bit. Unfortunately (and fortunately) by that time, I was already getting out of playing with toys too. So my figures remained mostly on display and thus, I still have every single one of them today in near new looking condition.

Prior to me getting the turtles, I improvised and made myself a set of paper turtles and a shoe box sewer, with only an actual Rocksteady figure to work with. haha:P

sigh.

SS Kakarot
02-11-2017, 01:17 PM
The original Raphael figure. It's the only figure I didn't keep the card from, after that I saved all the cards. :)

MST3KFan
02-11-2017, 06:07 PM
The soft head original Donatello was my first TMNT figure. I still remember one evening of my whole family going to Target and my stumbling onto the TMNT toy line for the first time in the toy aisle there and Donatello somehow became the first TMNT I ever got.

I don't know what drew me specifically to him first, but I know within the next few months I would get the entire first wave of TMNT figures and the Party Wagon.

Funny thing is since that time, every time a new TMNT line comes out, I make sure I get Donatello first still...as kind of a nod/tribute to my past I guess.

LilithMV
02-14-2017, 03:41 AM
I had some of the BULLY figures, but I had these guys. One set at my dad's place and one at my mom's :lol: Sadly I don't have any of them anymore

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jScAAOSwd0BV1zTJ/s-l300.jpg
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/YEYAAOSwsN9W~qJT/s-l225.jpg

Don's bo was removable.

I still have those 3. And it was them that I played with for about a month before I got the actual figures, this back in 1990, or something like that.

inaheap
02-22-2017, 05:04 PM
This thread got me thinking about a favorite memory of mine. I used to go through packages under the Christmas tree looking for ones that felt like they had bubble center. I knew those were probably action figures. I probably spent hours thinking about what ones they might be. That was almost as much fun as actually getting the present.

Prowler
02-28-2017, 12:14 PM
For Christmas 2003 or 2004 I got a 2 sets: One with Leonardo, Raphael and Shredder and the other one with Donatello, Michelangelo and a Foot Ninja.

So yeah, all of the 4 turtles plus Shredder and a foot ninja. Not bad, eh?

DarkFell
02-28-2017, 01:02 PM
I got all four Playmates Turtles for my 9th birthday back in December of 1990. I got a few more of the characters on Christmas Day. (I saw to it that the Turtles watched the presents under our tree.)

SilverNinja
02-28-2017, 02:10 PM
I have insanely awesome memories of many TMNT toys, but the one that started it all was actually a bad guy!

I remember telling my Dad how I really wanted a Rocksteady figure because I thought he was so goofy and funny in the animated show. A few nights later, my Dad told me to grab something for him out of one of the drawers in the kitchen. My eyes lit up when I pulled open the drawer and there was a brand spankin' new Rocksteady! It's the hard-head version and I believe I received him in 1989, but it could have been '88.

My Dad actually loved the thrill of the hunt in trying to find many of the coveted TMNT characters over time. I would receive turtles as an allowance sometimes, for doing random chores or...just because. One Halloween I received Fugitoid just for giving up some Halloween candy. :tgrin:

However, aside from Rocksteady, another HUGE super memorable thing that I received was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Sewer Playset. That thing was my Red Ryder BB Gun in '89. I was a brat and waited until last minute when my Mom took me to see Santa. My testing Santa's authenticity was to ask for this super hot toy that was sold out all over...the sewer playset. I know my Mom's jaw dropped when I asked for this while sitting on the fat man's lap and I obviously feel bad now, but man...I wanted that thing so bad! So last minute, my parents were on the search and found one of the last ones at FAO Schwarz. This thing was seriously like the Turbo Man of the Christmas season of '89...at least in my area it was. When I opened the sewer playset on Christmas morning, I was elated. I played with that playset every day after school, when I wasn't busy hanging out with friends. I friggin' loved that thing and I still have it today.

billbot85
05-14-2017, 02:50 PM
I believe the first figures that I got were the four turtles on Easter 1990, followed by getting Splinter, April, Shredder, and Krang (in the bubble walker). I remember taking the figures out of the package with my sister and giving them their weapons/accessories.

I got the Party Wagon and the Leonardo Role Play Gear for my birthday in September of that same year, and also got Bebop and Rocksteady for Christmas (I think I got Casey Jones sometime around this year too...).

Awesome memories. :tgrin:

Stephen
05-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Mine was a Leonardo figure, during the 90s, that stored weapons inside the shell.

HeroTurtlesFan
05-15-2017, 07:02 AM
Some of you may remember, but back in 1990 (when the Hero Turtles first came to the UK) the figures were INCREDIBLY in demand. They were very hard to find!

In the summer of that year, my sister got April, I got Shredder and my brother got Donatello. These were the only figures we could find (otherwise I would have got a Turtle too!)

Christmas 1990, my parents picked me up the remaining 7 from the original series. My dad later said he had so many drives to Tesco, Toys R Us and many other shops hunting them all down... I also got the Turtle blimp that year too :-)

DestronMirage22
05-15-2017, 07:50 AM

Decided to dig out my first TMNT figure for some pics.
He's still in pretty decent conditions after all these years. :D
But he's soo tiny! I used to think he was a bigger sized figure. But I guess small me would have thought that. LOL Either that or I'm just used to large scale figures now, like my new Jungle Hunter who absolutely dwarfs Sewer Surfin' Leo.