PDA

View Full Version : It amazes me how many now classic and great movies came out in the 80's and 90's

CyberCubed
02-03-2017, 12:49 AM
And they are the best. It's amazing how many now classic movie franchises came out during those decades:

- Star Wars V and VI
- Back to the Future
- Ghostbusters
- Terminator
- Predator
- Die Hard
- Lethal Weapon
- Arnold Scwharzeneggar movies in general
- Total Recall
- True Lies
- Robocop
- Jurassic Park
- Rocky films
- Rambo
- Demolition Man
- Mad Max
- Indiana Jones
- Blade Runner
- Aliens
- E.T.
- Independence Day
- Galaxy Quest
- 80's and 90's James Bond movies
- The Mummy
- Jackie Chan Movies
- Braveheart
- Home Alone
- The Mask
- Jim Carrey movies
- The 5th Element
- Escape from New York
- Speed
- Batman 1989
- Ninja Turtles movies
- Star Trek films
- Mission Impossible
- The Matrix
- Disney classics (The Little Mermaid, Alladdin, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story)

etc. And this is on top of everything I'm forgetting. I didn't even list many comedies because I'm not into them much, but there's all of those as well.

Jesus Christ. The 80's and 90's KILLED IT for movies. These two decades were amazing for film.

Goddamn, it's like all of modern pop culture was defined by these films.

ProactiveMan
02-03-2017, 07:16 AM
It's just a generational thing man. The people who made those movies felt the same way about the 40s and 50s.

CyberCubed
02-03-2017, 11:30 AM
What were the big films of the 2000's besides the superhero craze started by Marvel? I liked some other films, but nowhere as much as the 80's and 90's.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-03-2017, 11:35 AM
What were the big films of the 2000's besides the superhero craze started by Marvel? I liked some other films, but nowhere as much as the 80's and 90's.

Pirates of the Caribbean 1/2/3
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Harry Potter series
Fast and Furious series

MikeandRaph87
02-03-2017, 11:53 AM
It's just a generational thing man. The people who made those movies felt the same way about the 40s and 50s.

Well said. That is exactly it! People are nostalgic for things of their youth no matter the generation. My father is nostalgic for 50/60s baseball. I am nostalgic for '91-2005 baseball. There are certain things that transcend generational nostalgic appreciation such as my preference for 60s or 80s music opposed to when I grew up in the 90s' up.

Andrew NDB
02-03-2017, 11:54 AM

Nothing. Nothing at all. Maybe Avatar.

CyberCubed
02-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean 1/2/3
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Harry Potter series
Fast and Furious series

But these are movies based on books like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Is Pirates of the Caribbean based on a book too? I'm not sure.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-03-2017, 12:09 PM
But these are movies based on books like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Is Pirates of the Caribbean based on a book too? I'm not sure.

Based on a ride and a game.

You didn't say "original" movies, just movies. There ya go, mate, some biggies off the top of my head.

CyberCubed
02-03-2017, 12:11 PM
A lot of movies that came out in the 2000's were also sequels or remakes to old movie franchises. Like Indie 4, Rambo 4, Die Hard 4, Star Wars prequels, etc.

So it feels like we didn't have that many brand new breakout movie franchises that aren't superhero movies.

sdp
02-03-2017, 02:11 PM
I would count The Matrix as a 00s movie even if it technically came out in 99 but yeah not much of there the p past 17 years. I mean there's a few movies I love but they aren't huge franchises like the ones CC listed.

Andrew NDB
02-03-2017, 02:14 PM
I would count The Matrix as a 00s movie even if it technically came out in 99 but yeah not much of there the p past 17 years. I mean there's a few movies I love but they aren't huge franchises like the ones CC listed.

I wouldn't. And if it came out in '99 that means it filmed in '98.

CyberCubed
02-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Nowadays it seems like indie movies, and stuff like netflix original movies are big. But I don't really watch too many of them.

Disney animated movies have still been top notch over the last two decades though.

MsMarvelDuckie
02-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Cubed making posts about nostalgia/aging? BINGO!! Pretty sure I just filled my card on this thread. Didn't even need the free space lol!

Seriously though, I can see his point- there were alot of iconic filns made in those years. These days? Not so much.

CyberCubed
02-03-2017, 11:13 PM
I can't even remember the last time I saw a film that wasn't part of an already established franchise from 20-30 years ago. Granted I don't watch "real movies" as in dramas, documentaries, or most comedies, so what do I know.

Jephael
02-04-2017, 12:13 AM
Robin Williams had a lot of hits and misses back then. My cousin Amy and I used to love watching Hook, in which he played a fully grown Peter Pan. Another cousin and I once rented the movie Jack where he plays a 10 year old child who due to some strange birth defect ages 4 times faster than normal. It made for a very interesting story, though it was a little depressing at certain points, especially when he came to the realization he'd be dead by his mid 20s. Actually now that I think about it, that movie would probably be right up CyberCubed's ally if he enjoyed comedies.

Shark_Blade
02-04-2017, 12:26 AM
Eh, most of those 80/90s movies are so outdated and I won't even watch em anymore tbh. Even if I would I won't be into it as much.

There's a lot of gem in 2000s era til now.

1. La La Land
2. Star Wars Rogue One
3. Zootopia
4. Mad Max Fury Road
5. Inception
6. Harry Potter 7 films saga
7. The Lord of the Rings & Hobbit sagas
8. V for Vandetta
9. Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2
10. Shutter Island
11. The Dark Knight trilogy
12. Inside Out
13. 12 Years a Slave
14. Finding Nemo
15. Pans Labyrinth
16. Sin City
17. Toy Story trilogy
18. Monsters Inc & Monsters University
19. The Bourne trilogy
20. Hunger Games saga
21. Deadpool
22. Nerve
23. Tangled
24. Frozen
25. Big Hero 6
26. Rise of the Guardians
27. Moana
28. Trolls

And many more. I didn't even include horror films like Sinister and Insidious yet.

So it's a mix bag. Not everything is great in those old era. I can do both but obviously more leaning to the modern era.

CyberCubed
02-04-2017, 12:46 AM
Eh, most of those 80/90s movies are so outdated and I won't even watch em anymore tbh. Even if I would I won't be into it as much.

LOL, most of these movies are classics. All these movies came out before my time too, I was just a kid or not even born when a lot of these movies came out and didn't see them the first time until I was an adult.

I didn't see most of these movies till about 15-20 years after they originally hit theaters, and I still enjoyed them. It's not like I grew up with them either.

And many more. I didn't even include horror films like Sinister and Insidious yet.

I said Disney animated movies remained consistently good and were the one exception. Only the first Hunger Games movie was sort of interesting, the sequels were meh.

I agree with some of the other movies you listed, but a lot of them are from already established franchises or superhero movies.

Wildcat
02-04-2017, 01:02 AM
A lot of people complain Hollywood has become unoriginal but a lot of 80s/90s franchises were based on previous works or books.

No era is really that different when it comes to how movies get made. I think part of it is generational.

I've seen movies from the 50s/60s that I was surprised to find out were remakes or spiritual successors to movies in the 30s/40s.

DarkFell
02-04-2017, 01:08 AM
I'm rather surprised that no one mentioned The Crow, especially since the movie closely followed the comic. City of Angels was alright.

The third movie Salvation ..no comment as I haven't seen it yet.

I also enjoyed Escape From LA and Dragonheart.

Prowler
02-04-2017, 03:17 AM
A thread about movies with a long ass list of movies? Cubed you're not JakeSully.

Also, took you long enough to make another thread where you state how surprised you are that "OMG TIME FLIES!" :lol:

Andrew NDB
02-04-2017, 03:19 AM
I'm rather surprised that no one mentioned The Crow, especially since the movie closely followed the comic. City of Angels was alright.

The third movie Salvation ..no comment as I haven't seen it yet.

City of Angels was horrible. Just a big, sh*t music video come to life (and really? they had to go and Newt-in-Alien 3 the little girl from Crow 1?). I actually liked Salvation, I was very surprised. The 4th and final, "The Crow: Wicked Prayer," probably makes my Top 5 Worst Movies of All Time list.

DestronMirage22
02-04-2017, 07:34 AM
I've been going back and have been watching/rewatching older movies from that era, and yeah, they're fantastic. Many are far superior than the stuff that comes out these days. I've particularly liked the Alien and Predator movies (separately, not together :P).

Storm Eagle
02-04-2017, 07:36 AM
City of Angels was horrible. Just a big, sh*t music video come to life (and really? they had to go and Newt-in-Alien 3 the little girl from Crow 1?). I actually liked Salvation, I was very surprised. The 4th and final, "The Crow: Wicked Prayer," probably makes my Top 5 Worst Movies of All Time list.

So you liked Salvation too? City of Angels was okay with me. Wicked Prayer was so-so, but I can do without owning it.

ABrown
02-04-2017, 08:27 AM
- Independence Day

I never did see that. When I was 15 years old, my mom dropped off me and my friends at the theater. We were supposed to see Independance Day. I'm pretty sure it's even what we bought tickets for. But we went in and saw Striptease with Demi Moore. I remember the conversation later that night with my Dad went like this:

Dad: "So how was the movie? Did the aliens win?"

Me: "Ummmm, yeah..."

ssjup81
02-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Well said. That is exactly it! People are nostalgic for things of their youth no matter the generation. My father is nostalgic for 50/60s baseball. I am nostalgic for '91-2005 baseball. There are certain things that transcend generational nostalgic appreciation such as my preference for 60s or 80s music opposed to when I grew up in the 90s' up.So true. Seems in the 80s, 50s references were made quite a bit...like the Neutrinos in the OT or the junk in Muppet Babies. One of the most loved movies at the time was Back to the Future. Definitely generational.I never did see that. When I was 15 years old, my mom dropped off me and my friends at the theater. We were supposed to see Independance Day. I'm pretty sure it's even what we bought tickets for. But we went in and saw Striptease with Demi Moore. I remember the conversation later that night with my Dad went like this:

Dad: "So how was the movie? Did the aliens win?"

Me: "Ummmm, yeah..."They technically did. They got Randy Quaid! ''Twas a sad loss. :-P

CyberCubed
02-04-2017, 12:25 PM
It's weird when we think of movies we also only think of the big name Hollywood franchises. There are probably hundreds of smaller indie and B-type movies that come out every year, both in theaters and now on stuff like netflix original movies...that most people have no idea even exists. And this is not even counting foreign movies made outside the U.S. either, like British, Asian, or Indian movies.

But as they say, you can watch 1 movie a day everyday for 100 years and still not see them all. It's impossible to see every good movie.

DarkFell
02-04-2017, 12:39 PM
They technically did. They got Randy Quaid! ''Twas a sad loss. :-P
Randy's character was a tired tortured soul. At that point before he died, he wanted to make his family and country proud, but most of all, he also wanted to take down an enemy fighter ship.

GoldMutant
02-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Besides obvious choices like The Dark Knight or any book to film adaptions (Harry Potter and Hunger Games for example), here's a few (I'll add more later):

Cinderella Man
Rocky Balboa
Kung Fu Panda/Shrek 2 (other Dreamworks movies may apply)
The Incredibles/Finding Nemo (same reasoning as Dreamworks)

CyberCubed
02-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Rocky Balboa

Rocky is an old 80's franchise too. Sequels to old movies or remakes is what I mean when I say new or original movies.

Kung Fu Panda/Shrek 2 (other Dreamworks movies may apply)
The Incredibles/Finding Nemo (same reasoning as Dreamworks)
[/LIST]

Yes, I said Disney and a lot of Dreamworks movies were the exception. Kids movies have remained relatively high quality and Disney movies are often great. Thank god for that.

Andrew NDB
02-04-2017, 02:43 PM
So you liked Salvation too? City of Angels was okay with me. Wicked Prayer was so-so, but I can do without owning it.

Yeah, Salvation was far better than it had any right to be. And to be honest, all of Wicked Prayer's problems were of a budgetary nature... but man, were those big problems in that movie. Laughably bad.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Rocky Balboa

I love this film, maybe even moreso than the original. Sadly it gets a little overlooked.
Rumor has it that there's a 2-hour extended that was prepared but was never run for audiences. Man it'd be great to watch that sometime. The script has so many little character-building scenes that weren't in the final cut.

ssjup81
02-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Randy's character was a tired tortured soul. At that point before he died, he wanted to make his family and country proud, but most of all, he also wanted to take down an enemy fighter ship.I know, but I still felt sad when he sacrificed himself.

Andrew NDB
02-04-2017, 06:16 PM
I love this film, maybe even moreso than the original. Sadly it gets a little overlooked.
Rumor has it that there's a 2-hour extended that was prepared but was never run for audiences. Man it'd be great to watch that sometime. The script has so many little character-building scenes that weren't in the final cut.

A long time ago I made a fan edit of Rocky Balboa (called "Rocky VI") that restored all the deleted scenes from the DVD and replaced the ending with the "Rocky wins" alternate ending.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-04-2017, 07:49 PM
I've done the same (but kept the original ending). I can't fathom why they thought it'd be a good idea to cut out that scene where Paulie storms out of the restaurant and has a good cry.

A fair chunk of the scenes in that extended cut I mentioned never made it to even the bonus features. Guess they thought they wouldn't be that interesting.

MikeandRaph87
02-04-2017, 08:00 PM
I've done the same (but kept the original ending). I can't fathom why they thought it'd be a good idea to cut out that scene where Paulie storms out of the restaurant and has a good cry.

https://youtu.be/97ZQNox2lcw

Balboa is good, but why have Rocky date the middle schooler he told not to smoke in the original? It's just wrong. For the record I like thevteo endings thing.

Also, a rumor befor release was Mason Dixon was the son of Apollo Creed, the one II and IV's background not an illegitimate one stirred hours before his death.

Andrew NDB
02-04-2017, 09:58 PM
I've done the same (but kept the original ending).

Yeah, I regretted switching in the "Rocky Wins" ending later. Just wanted a version that was more feel good... not kidney punch. Part 5 was already that. But the existing ending of 6 needs to stay.

Balboa is good, but why have Rocky date the middle schooler he told not to smoke in the original? It's just wrong.

The only place that bothered me was when he visited her in his hotel room before the fight. And he lays up against the wall in his tank top like he would with Adrian. Super, super creepy scene. That, they should have cut, and left in the big Paulie confrontation that was cut.

Autbot_Benz
02-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Cubed forgot the 80's-90's gave us the Evil Dead Trilogy. The first one was considered a great horror movie by Stephen King.

Evil Dead 2 will be 30 this year

Army Of Darkness is a Cult Classic.

CyberCubed
02-04-2017, 11:52 PM
I forgot about a few other movies like Men in Black as well.

Jephael
02-05-2017, 01:49 PM
I was just thinking about some major dramatic films that came out then like The Good Son. Imagine being a big fan of Macaulay Culkin's role in Home Alone and then seeing him play a demented psychopath out to kill his siblings. Then again, considering how he was treated in the beginning of the aforementioned holiday classic, it's not that big of a stretch.

ABrown
02-05-2017, 05:42 PM
I didn't see any mention of Titanic. That was a pretty huge movie. I remember everyone in my high school saying that they had saw the movie 2-3 times in the theater, and I never did get around to seeing it in the theater.

sdp
02-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Would any of you consider Riddick a movie franchise? It has 3 movies, an animated special, two highly regarded video games and an upcoming film that who knows when it'll release but it'll eventually come out. I know it has a small fan base but I personally love it and so does Vin Diesel which is why this became a movie franchise instead a one off horror-scifi movie.

*The Crow opinions*
The first movie has its "off parts" but overall you can overlook the parts that don't work but man edit/change a few parts and it'd easily be one of the best movies ever made.

City of Angels is terrible, it's a far less interesting remake of the first film except it's a sequel since it has the girl from the first team in a totally depressing role that makes the first movie worse off.

The other two sequels I can't remember much about them except that they both had interesting ideas that would've made great movies but the execution was so bad that it was all wasted potential.

I still need to see the TV series and apparently there was a planned Rob Zombie sequel set in the future that never happened, I would've loved that. There's been a remake planned for quite a while and I'm sure it'll come out one of these days but as much potential as the franchise has I think they'll mess it up again.

It's weird when we think of movies we also only think of the big name Hollywood franchises.
I mentioned in my post counting big hollywood movies it was alright but yeah tons of great indie and foreign films that came out during the period they just aren't huge franchises, closest one I can think of is Donnie Darko since it did end up getting mainstream success.

I wouldn't. And if it came out in '99 that means it filmed in '98.
It still came out in 99 and only became a hit once it hit DVD so basically the impact it had began in the 00's which is why it even got a sequel in 2003 which by then it was a household name. The impact was not done in the 90s so I consider it a 00's franchise but opinons will differ.

ssjup81
02-05-2017, 07:05 PM
I was just thinking about some major dramatic films that came out then like The Good Son. Imagine being a big fan of Macaulay Culkin's role in Home Alone and then seeing him play a demented psychopath out to kill his siblings. Then again, considering how he was treated in the beginning of the aforementioned holiday classic, it's not that big of a stretch.Despite my liking of Home Alone, especially 2, I liked the Good Son...but my bias was showing. I really liked Elijah Woods. ^^

Leofan26
02-06-2017, 03:20 AM
Yah, it's a shame how things look now for films, bunch of remakes :ohwell:

Wesley
02-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Yah, it's a shame how things look now for films, bunch of remakes :ohwell:

Agreed. I think some great films have come out in the last 20 years, but not as much as the ones from the 80s and 90s. I like a lot of cult films such as The Usual Suspects, Office Space, Phone Booth, Ghost Ship, Heartbreakers, Cruel Intentions, The Princess Bride and Election.

CyberCubed
02-06-2017, 03:27 PM
I didn't see any mention of Titanic. That was a pretty huge movie. I remember everyone in my high school saying that they had saw the movie 2-3 times in the theater, and I never did get around to seeing it in the theater.

Titanic is hot garbage. One of the most overrated and generic movies of all time. I remember the movie came out when I was in like 7th grade and everyone was ranting about it.

ssjup81
02-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Titanic is hot garbage. One of the most overrated and generic movies of all time. I remember the movie came out when I was in like 7th grade and everyone was ranting about it.But, but...Leonardo DiCaprio was cute! :P

I was in high school at the time. I recall hearing that. Wouldn't surprise me if the biggest audience was comprised of teenage girls. I didn't see the film until years later. I did have the opportunity to watch it in theaters, but I was so sick of everything surrounding it, my cousin and I saw something else. Can't remember what, though. That Celine Dion song constantly being played didn't help matters either.

Anyway, going back to the film, and my seeing it the first time in full back in 2011, I realized it wasn't bad. It did make me think, though, of those based off of characters like Leo's. It's sad how they were considered unimportant and died without recognition because of their class and status. Very sad.

Speaking of 1997, my cousin and I saw the Power Rangers Turbo movie instead of whatever our mothers went to see, despite neither of us being fans of Power Rangers (our two younger cousins were huge fans).

Cure
02-06-2017, 03:59 PM
But, but...Leonardo DiCaprio was cute! :P

Shut your mouth, he is still.

Andrew NDB
02-06-2017, 04:37 PM
Would any of you consider Riddick a movie franchise? It has 3 movies, an animated special, two highly regarded video games and an upcoming film that who knows when it'll release but it'll eventually come out. I know it has a small fan base but I personally love it and so does Vin Diesel which is why this became a movie franchise instead a one off horror-scifi movie.

Riddick is definitely a franchise. Part 2 was batshit dumb and bloated, and 3 was a little bit too much of a Diesel vanity piece, but not too bad.

City of Angels is terrible, it's a far less interesting remake of the first film except it's a sequel since it has the girl from the first team in a totally depressing role that makes the first movie worse off.

Very depressing. That's all you can walk out of that movie with. Not that... any of them end particularly upliftingly. With 4's ending, though, you just walk out feeling embarrassed for everyone involved in the movie.

The other two sequels I can't remember much about them except that they both had interesting ideas that would've made great movies but the execution was so bad that it was all wasted potential.

Nah, 3 was good. Easily better than "City of Angels."

Titanic is hot garbage. One of the most overrated and generic movies of all time.

I enjoyed Titanic, but I much more enjoyed the very underrated DiCaprio vehicle that followed it: The Beach. Fantastic. And inspiring. I saw it when I was dragged to the movies on a date with some chick who really loved DiCaprio and I expected to hate it, but it's very solid.

Jephael
02-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Shut your mouth, he is still.

My cousin Steve kinda looks like him. They've both aged very well, though my cousin and I are both slowly going bald.

Cure
02-06-2017, 04:44 PM
I've never met the guy but I'm 100% sure "Steve" looks nothing like Leo D.

Jephael
02-06-2017, 04:55 PM

Well to be fair, nobody else in our family has ever openly agreed with me on this matter, even my cousin himself. But hey I'm entitled to my opinion.

Andrew NDB
02-06-2017, 05:06 PM
My cousin Steve kinda looks like him. They've both aged very well, though my cousin and I are both slowly going bald.

Well to be fair, nobody else in our family has ever openly agreed with me on this matter, even my cousin himself. But hey I'm entitled to my opinion.

I had a buddy in High School that kind of looked like Leo. Now he's bald and fat. Strange dude. Used to sleep in his car instead of going to school and would just play Street Fighter 2 until 5 AM everyday.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/kev.jpg

Jephael
02-06-2017, 05:41 PM
I had a buddy in High School that kind of looked like Leo. Now he's bald and fat. Strange dude. Used to sleep in his car instead of going to school and would just play Street Fighter 2 until 5 AM everyday.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/kev.jpg

He kinda looks like Devon Sawa. Anybody here remember that guy?

myconius
02-06-2017, 05:47 PM
He kinda looks like Devon Sawa. Anybody here remember that guy?

from SLC Punk. yeah i can see that a little bit.

myconius
02-06-2017, 05:53 PM

i really enjoyed all of the Riddick movies! i even suffered through all the monotony of playing Escape from Butcher Bay just for the story.

just hope the next story actually comes out!!
and they better conclude the storyline with Karl Urban's character (if and) when it comes out. otherwise i fear they never will.

Andrew NDB
02-06-2017, 06:07 PM
just hope the next story actually comes out!!.

It will. "Furia" or whatever. Where he makes it home. He also mentioned something about a TV show in the Riddick universe that's either about bounty hunters, or a prequel with Young Riddick.

myconius
02-06-2017, 06:34 PM
It will. "Furia" or whatever. Where he makes it home. He also mentioned something about a TV show in the Riddick universe that's either about bounty hunters, or a prequel with Young Riddick.

i'm actually glad to here that the movie will (hopefully) wrap it up.

i was afraid that it might do like the latest 'Underworld' movie, and leave it open for a sequel that will probably never happen.
'Blood Wars' was mildly decent, but i just can't see that story going much further than it already has.

https://media.tenor.co/images/d3b2b5a85b43f9e0f5bb2be7788fad2c/raw

sdp
02-06-2017, 07:08 PM
The second Riddick movie (chronicles) is my favorite which was a colossal failure and only got made because Diesel was a huge star and he loved the character of Pitch Black. Good thing is that its Diesel's pet project so when he became big again because of F&F he funded a third movie which was nothing the original sequel would be but I'll take what I can get. I still remember the interviews where he compared Pitch Black to "The Hobbit" and Chronicles of Riddick was the start of their LOTR trilogy :lol: He's a huge nerd so despite the flaws I like the universe he built. I hope he goes crazy with the next one.

Andrew NDB
02-06-2017, 07:11 PM
i'm actually glad to here that the movie will (hopefully) wrap it up.

Oh I doubt anything will be "wrapped up." Diesel needs his star vehicle afloat (and is about to get a reminder of why when "The Return of Xander Cage" fails spectacularly).

I was afraid that it might do like the latest 'Underworld' movie, and leave it open for a sequel that will probably never happen.

Actually I feel about the Underworld movies not unlike the Resident Evil movies... so-so first movie followed by a horrific sequel that makes me abandon the series.

DarkFell
02-06-2017, 08:14 PM
I didn't see these movies in Cubed's list, but I will add them in anyway.

Labyrinth.
Legend.
The Princess Bride.
The Neverending Story.

At least three out of four movies I mentioned didn't get a sequel, simply because they didn't need one.

As for TNS, I feel that it should have been left alone after the first movie..

myconius
02-06-2017, 08:14 PM
Oh I doubt anything will be "wrapped up." Diesel needs his star vehicle afloat (and is about to get a reminder of why when "The Return of Xander Cage" fails spectacularly).

i definitely plan to see the next Riddick movie if/when it comes out.
but if it ends on some sort of open door i'm gonna be mighty perturbed.

Actually I feel about the Underworld movies not unlike the Resident Evil movies... so-so first movie followed by a horrific sequel that makes me abandon the series.

you didn't miss much. rise of the lycans was more potent than nyquil.
though i will say i gave up on the Resident Evil movies after seeing part one.
i loved the story on the first two RE games, and couldn't believe the hulking mound of bad fan-fiction trash they turned it into.
when the whole story revolves around a mary-sue that's being played by the director's wife....
you know it's gonna be a stinker! :lol:

ToTheNines
02-06-2017, 08:21 PM
you didn't miss much. rise of the lycans was more potent than nyquil.

I concur. Except it features, bar none, the most ridiculous sex scene in cinema history.

myconius
02-06-2017, 08:23 PM
I concur. Except it features, bar none, the most ridiculous sex scene in cinema history.

it actually had a sex scene??? i must've fallen asleep by that point? :lol:

ProactiveMan
02-07-2017, 06:15 PM

The Return of Xander Cage is pretty bad. There is an unwarranted nostalgic tone to the thing, as though everyone was dying to see Xander Cage again. Do those people really exist? Thanks again to the necromancers at Huahua Media and the Shanghai Film Group for resurrecting another dead franchise. Itís only a matter of time before the Chinese get sick of this horse crap too.

CyberCubed
02-10-2017, 12:16 AM
I'd love for someone to make me a list of all the big action movies from 2000-2016 that aren't:

- Superhero movies, so no DC, Marvel or Transformers stuff. I already know about these.

- Based on popular books like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games, etc.

- Sequels/remakes of old movie franchises, like Indie 4, Rambo 4, Jurrassic World, Terminator 5, Mad Max: Fury Road, Mission Impossible, Men in Black III, Star Wars movies, etc.

I honestly can't think of many new/original movies that aren't based on either superhero comics, sequels/remakes of old action movies, or based on books.

Jephael
02-10-2017, 12:18 AM
I'd love for someone to make me a list of all the big action movies from 2000-2016 that aren't:

- Superhero movies, so no DC, Marvel or Transformers stuff. I already know about these.

- Based on popular books like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games, etc.

- Sequels/remakes of old movie franchises, like Indie 4, Rambo 4, Jurrassic World, Terminator 5, Mad Max: Fury Road, Mission Impossible, Men in Black III, Star Wars movies, etc.

I honestly can't think of many new/original movies that aren't based on either superhero comics, sequels/remakes of old action movies, or based on books.

Give me about an hour and I'll get back to you *shuffles through DVD collection* I swear to God, none of these are pornos...

Jephael
02-10-2017, 01:04 AM
Okay, so I've narrowed my collection down to these four great comedies that've been released throughout the last 17 years. Here are the trailers for them.

Loser (2000) starring American Pie stars Jason Biggs + Mena Suvari
vWoXkC7udK0

Good Luck Chuck (2007) starring Dane Cook + Jessica Alba
Mfd-BbBsGM4

Year One (2009) starring Jack Black + Michael Cera;
directed by the late great Harold Ramis
Ff7mzeahShY

We're the Millers (2013) starring Jennifer Aniston + Jason Sudeikis
0Vsy5KzsieQ

EDIT: BTW, I just now looked back and realized you wanted to see action movies (which I honestly didn't notice before in your last post). Still, it would probably help you to broaden your horizons by watching comedic movies like this. There's more to life than just people fighting and blowing up stuff.

AT-Man
02-10-2017, 05:30 AM
I don't know how big profile some are, but there's at least:

Kingsman
John Wick (gonna see the sequel tonight HYPE!!!)
Edge of Tomorrow
Non-Stop and other Liam Neeson movies
The Raid 1 & 2
Elysium
Pacific Rim
The Heat
Looper
The Expendables movies, even though everyone watches them for the actors
Wild Target
Inception
From Paris with Love

I have no drive to go through my IMDB ratings more right now, for there are plenty.

Jephael
02-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Wait, isn't Kingsman based off a gritty realistic comic book series similar to Watchmen and Kick-Ass?

Andrew NDB
02-10-2017, 11:19 AM
The Return of Xander Cage is pretty bad. There is an unwarranted nostalgic tone to the thing, as though everyone was dying to see Xander Cage again. Do those people really exist?

No. Not here. I mean, Diesel really does have a diehard following of ratchet ladies that would find cinematic gold even in "The Last Witch Hunter," but I can't imagine any dudes that aren't into dudes that would be swallowing fluff like this.

Thanks again to the necromancers at Huahua Media and the Shanghai Film Group for resurrecting another dead franchise. It’s only a matter of time before the Chinese get sick of this horse crap too.

Ahhh, now that makes a bit more sense. I had no idea there was Chineeese backers behind this. Donnie Yen in this makes a bit more sense now, too.

Are they the ones forcing a sequel to "Escape Plan" also?

Wait, isn't Kingsman based off a gritty realistic comic book series similar to Watchmen and Kick-Ass?

Yes.

CyberCubed
02-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Elysium was one of the worst sci-fi movies I've seen in some time. Also not a big fan of Pacific Rim. Monster fighters were cool but everything else was forgettable.

Andrew NDB
02-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Elysium was one of the worst sci-fi movies I've seen in some time.

It was disappointing to me but hardly a train wreck.

Also not a big fan of Pacific Rim. Monster fighters were cool but everything else was forgettable.

I guess I agree. I didn't leave that movie particularly feeling pumped for a sequel. I can't say I didn't enjoy it, though.

CyberCubed
02-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Rewatching the Rocky films, two things I notice:

1. Rocky's trainer sounds like Popeye the Sailor Man.

2. Adrian was probably autistic. I have no idea if this was intentional, but the way Adrian is in the first movie, Rocky says she, "has the disease of being shy," she can barely look at him and is soft spoken, she hides in her bedroom when Rocky tries to ask her out, says she can't go on a date even though she lives with her brother, all those clothes and hats she was wearing in the first movie, etc.

She got better in the following movies, but I honestly wonder if she was written to be an aspie. One of Stallone's real life sons has autism, but he wasn't born till after the first movie.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-11-2017, 05:29 AM
TV-series (or Internet streaming series) are taking over the position films once had.

ProactiveMan
02-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Ahhh, now that makes a bit more sense. I had no idea there was Chineeese backers behind this. Donnie Yen in this makes a bit more sense now, too.
Are they the ones forcing a sequel to "Escape Plan" also?

I forgot that movie existed until they started talking about a sequel. His job is to break out of prisons to find security holes... what ever you say Stallone.

China bankrolled Mission Impossible Rouge Nation, and Jack Reacher 2 as well. It seems they're the guys you go to when Hollywood cuts you off.

Jephael
02-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Adrian was probably autistic. I have no idea if this was intentional, but the way Adrian is in the first movie, Rocky says she, "has the disease of being shy," she can barely look at him and is soft spoken, she hides in her bedroom when Rocky tries to ask her out, says she can't go on a date even though she lives with her brother, all those clothes and hats she was wearing in the first movie, etc.

She got better in the following movies, but I honestly wonder if she was written to be an aspie. One of Stallone's real life sons has autism, but he wasn't born till after the first movie.

She might've been simply introverted. If anybody was autistic, it was most likely Rocky himself. He might've just had a mild case of it though.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-11-2017, 09:36 PM
2. Adrian was probably autistic. I have no idea if this was intentional, but the way Adrian is in the first movie, Rocky says she, "has the disease of being shy," she can barely look at him and is soft spoken, she hides in her bedroom when Rocky tries to ask her out, says she can't go on a date even though she lives with her brother, all those clothes and hats she was wearing in the first movie, etc.

She's introverted, and it's compounded by the implication that speaking her mind at home will piss Paulie off... so she doesn't much care to speak to anyone.

Jephael
02-11-2017, 09:39 PM
She's introverted, and it's compounded by the implication that speaking her mind at home will piss Paulie off... so she doesn't much care to speak to anyone.

Yea, it really saddened me how much of an emotionally abusive dick Paulie was to both of them, even later on in the film series when he cost the Balboa family their entire fortune. At that point you'd think Rocky would have the foresight to keep Paulie on a shorter leash.

Cure
02-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Rocky isn't autistic, he's punchy.

CyberCubed
02-12-2017, 12:21 AM
Fun fact: Stallone's second son in real life was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3. He was born in 1979, so he's around 40 now.

Cure
02-12-2017, 12:41 AM
You really do have awful math.

ssjup81
02-12-2017, 12:53 AM
Fun fact: Stallone's second son in real life was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3. He was born in 1979, so he's around 40 now.Thirty-eight... >_>

CyberCubed
02-12-2017, 01:05 AM
40 is late 30's rounded up. There's not much difference.

For example a guy who is 28 might as well say he's nearly 30.

ToTheNines
02-12-2017, 03:29 AM
You really do have awful math.

I'm more disappointed with his "fun facts". They're never fun :(

CyberCubed
02-12-2017, 02:53 PM
It's kind of funny that if you watch one movie a day, you can blast through movies so quickly because they're one and done. Even with movies with tons of sequels like the Rocky series that I'm watching through now (there are 7 Rocky movies so far), it only takes 7 days to watch through them and you're done.

It's why I prefer movies over regular television. It takes so damn long just to watch a single season of a show, especially since most of them have 22-26 episodes...but with movies it's "one and done" and you can move on.

I mean I make exceptions of course for shows I like with hundreds of episodes like TMNT, the DCAU Batman, Star Trek, Dragonball Z, Pokemon, etc....but for the most part I prefer movies.

sdp
02-12-2017, 04:31 PM
I don't have time to watch a movie a day hell I don't even have the attention span to do that anymore. I am surprised by how quickly I can marathon a show that's only 26 or so episodes, I usually finish in 4 days or so but if I do that I feel so unproductive with my day.

CyberCubed
02-12-2017, 05:11 PM
I don't have time to watch a movie a day hell I don't even have the attention span to do that anymore. I am surprised by how quickly I can marathon a show that's only 26 or so episodes, I usually finish in 4 days or so but if I do that I feel so unproductive with my day.

Most movies are only about 2 hours long. If you watch 4 episodes of a 22 minute TV show back to back, it's the same amount of time.

sdp
02-12-2017, 06:09 PM
I don't have 2 hours to watch tv every day. I probably watch about an hour a day of video and that's including youtube or other online videos and not only entertainment. Of course weekends or days off will have that number double. When I marathon a whole show on a weekend are rare exceptions.

CyberCubed
02-12-2017, 06:37 PM
I don't have 2 hours to watch tv every day. I probably watch about an hour a day of video and that's including youtube or other online videos and not only entertainment. Of course weekends or days off will have that number double. When I marathon a whole show on a weekend are rare exceptions.

Stop watching youtube then and watch actual quality entertainment. I mean I watch short trailers or brief things on youtube too, but I doubt it adds up to anything more than 15 minutes.

Cure
02-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Jesus Christ, man, he can do whatever he wants.

Coola Yagami
02-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Or... you know.... he can do what he wants.

CyberCubed
02-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Of course he can watch whatever he wants, I'm just saying if you cut back on youtube you can watch more actual TV shows or movies.

sdp
02-12-2017, 08:22 PM
I don't watch one hour of youtube, I said I watch around 1 hour of video a day but sometimes I watch much less, I try to watch at least one show per day so that's about 22 minutes sometimes I sneak in two or sometimes I watch one 44 episode show it all depends and yeah some youtube videos which can include "professional" content like say taped segments of the Colbert show, news in general or other thing. "Quality entertainment" is really up to each person's point of view I mean I"m not watching random cat videos on youtube and most "real" tv shows I do like to watch are ridiculous in nature and not quality writing by any means but I enjoy them for what they are.

I like TV/Video but I don't have much time for it and there's other stuff I prefer doing. I personally don't understand how someone can watch so much TV in on a daily basis but to each his own and we spend our time doing what we prefer to do. I already feel like I watch too much TV but apparently not :lol:

Jephael
02-14-2017, 02:04 AM
I'm finding it especially hard to cut back on my TV viewing. There's always some new show that I find myself enticed to watch, which frustrates me so much. What's worse though is when I get into a really good show that's actually worth making time for, just to see it get cancelled prematurely, like Michael Rosenbaum's recent series Impastor.

ProactiveMan
02-14-2017, 03:25 AM
TV shows are too frustrating to watch; they never end until they become unprofitable or untenable to continue, then the writers wrap them up in the least satisfying way possible.

ssjup81
02-14-2017, 07:20 AM
It's kind of funny that if you watch one movie a day, you can blast through movies so quickly because they're one and done. Even with movies with tons of sequels like the Rocky series that I'm watching through now (there are 7 Rocky movies so far), it only takes 7 days to watch through them and you're done.

It's why I prefer movies over regular television. It takes so damn long just to watch a single season of a show, especially since most of them have 22-26 episodes...but with movies it's "one and done" and you can move on.

I mean I make exceptions of course for shows I like with hundreds of episodes like TMNT, the DCAU Batman, Star Trek, Dragonball Z, Pokemon, etc....but for the most part I prefer movies.For me, I have to be in the mood to watch a movie. TV too. I watch a lot of YT shows these days like Cayleigh Elise's Dark Matters series, Dorset Ghost Mysteries channel, Nostalgia Critic, Game Sack, Game Theory, Film Theory, etc.

The only TV shows I watch now since I can no longer watch NCIS and Law and Order SVU :tcry: and no longer have cable is the Nick Turtles series, Sonic Boom, South Park (whenever the episodes are new), and Adventure Time (sometimes). It's easier to watch animated stuff online than live action without region restrictions.

CyberCubed
02-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Movies also give you a clear and concise story from start to finish. TV shows usually stretch out one plot over an entire season, and the main cast always gets stale after awhile since there's only so much you can develop characters after multiple seasons and episodes.

As for movies when sequels are bad you can just skip or ignore them, so it's not like you have to put up with bad movie sequels if you don't want to either.

ssjup81
02-14-2017, 04:33 PM
Movies also give you a clear and concise story from start to finish. TV shows usually stretch out one plot over an entire season, and the main cast always gets stale after awhile since there's only so much you can develop characters after multiple seasons and episodes.

As for movies when sequels are bad you can just skip or ignore them, so it's not like you have to put up with bad movie sequels if you don't want to either.Personally, I prefer watching movies in a theater. At home, I have to seriously be in the mood to sit and watch something like a two-hour movie. Sometimes I don't have the attention span for it. Watching an episode of a TV series is faster. I also enjoy looking forward to the following episode.

CyberCubed
02-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Man, I also just remembered about Beverly Hills Cop, The Nutty Professor, and other Eddie Murphy movies in general. I can't believe I forgot these on my list.

See, this is why 80's and 90's movies were the best. The fact that I listed so many movies and franchises and I STILL forgot so many others says a lot in itself. And this is not even counting movies I haven't discovered yet or don't know about.

Man, what happened in the 2000's? 80's and 90's movies represent the zenith of movie cinema outside the golden age of 30's-50's movies.

Krutch
02-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Man, what happened in the 2000's? 80's and 90's movies represent the zenith of movie cinema outside the golden age of 30's-50's movies.

The boom of different avenues to consume media, not to mention piracy, has forced Hollywood into a "play it safe" routine so there's very few movies made anymore that are allowed to push the envelope. Most major distributers are also being consumed by remakes and sequels to in hopes that name recognition will guarantee box office draw. We also live in an age where critics can make or break a movie, not to mention the hive mind of online thinking. If a majority of people think its AMAZING, then alot of people on the fence will be swayed their way. Likewise, if you leave a theatre going "It wasn't that bad" then see that it has a 3% on Rottentomatoes and your favourite YouTube critic has a field day bashing it, bringing to light things you never considered to be that bad, then suddenly you're critique is influenced as well.

On top of that, there's always the group that gets sick of hearing the praise they believe they're being fresh with proposing the opposition.
"You know what? In hindsight, Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't THAT great..."
"Dark Knight isn't that great. It only got the hype and praise because of Ledger's death at the time."

Likewise, it works the other way around, the Star Wars prequels being the perfect example of that.

In a nutshell, technology and fad society has reached a point where movies aren't allowed to reach that unanimous tier of excellence that you speak of.

Andrew NDB
02-16-2017, 04:13 PM
The boom of different avenues to consume media, not to mention piracy, has forced Hollywood into a "play it safe" routine so there's very few movies made anymore that are allowed to push the envelope. Most major distributers are also being consumed by remakes and sequels to in hopes that name recognition will guarantee box office draw.

And now the Chineese.

CyberCubed
02-17-2017, 12:59 AM
It's pretty funny how almost all the old 80's/90's film stars careers all started dying by the late 90's or early 2000's too.

They still had the occasional good movie, but a lot of stinkers. It's like all their careers flatlined at the exact same time. I was just a kid then so I have no idea what people were thinking at the time, but I guess they were getting bored of the big macho action man stars back then?

Then in the 2000's it seems they all got replaced by superhero movies.