PDA

View Full Version : Favourite April O'Neil occupation

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-05-2017, 07:11 AM
What's your favourite April O'Neil occupation? I prefer reporter, but anything is OK as long as it's interesting and requires education and science knowledge (giving her and the turtles better access to society). I'm not a large fan of April being a schoolgirl. It limits her a lot (even if Nickelodeon still managed to take her on various adventures...) but I hope for other occupations in further versions two. It's good of being able to think beyond reporter-April for upcoming versions.

ToTheNines
02-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Easily lab assistant/antique store proprietor.

I always thought a cool Mirage/Fred Wolf compromise would be NYPD forensic scientist. That would keep her Mirage hobbies and skills intact, while giving her a more interesting and noble reason to be interested in following crime and keeping the right contacts.

That would also create an interesting dynamic between her and Casey.

ssjup81
02-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Hm, I was thinking that this was for a specific April.

For me, though, my choices are limited to...

Mirage April
OT April
Archie April
Movie 1 April
Movie 2 April
Movie 3 April
2007 April
Nick April

I guess it would be a tie between OT April (I was interested in Journalism as a kid) and Movie 1 April.

neatoman
02-05-2017, 09:58 AM
I do like the lab assistant role and I find the store clerk thing to be charming, not at all a fan of the reporter angle though. I mean, isn't it kind of counterproductive to the Turtles?

"Here's a bunch of characters who wants to keep themselves and their activities hidden from the public, let's have a main supporting character report on their activities to the public!"

It seems... Odd, to say the least.

Wesley
02-05-2017, 11:01 AM
I do like the lab assistant role and I find the store clerk thing to be charming, not at all a fan of the reporter angle though. I mean, isn't it kind of counterproductive to the Turtles?

"Here's a bunch of characters who wants to keep themselves and their activities hidden from the public, let's have a main supporting character report on their activities to the public!"

It seems... Odd, to say the least.

I prefer April as a lab assistant/antique shop owner as well. I didn't mind her being a reporter when I was a kid, but it doesn't make much sense nowadays.

CyberCubed
02-05-2017, 02:26 PM
I didn't mind her being a reporter when I was a kid, but it doesn't make much sense nowadays.

Well it does still make sense, she basically has the same role Lois Lane has in Superman. David Wise said he also made her a reporter so she would always be "where the action is" and have a reason to be around everytime something bad was happening.

I prefer IDW's approach too, even if she's rather low key in that series. Starts off as Baxter's assistant as usual but then works behind the scenes to help the Turtles.

FredWolfLeonardo
02-05-2017, 02:49 PM
I prefer the reporter from the 80s series since it gives her Vernon, Burne and Irma to interact with and shows how passionate she is about her work. Also, it reminds me of Lois Lane from Superman, which is one of my favourite franchises of all time.

ToTheNines
02-05-2017, 02:51 PM
FW April wishes she was Lois Lane.

plastroncafe
02-05-2017, 11:16 PM
I much prefer the Lab Assistant.

ssjup81
02-05-2017, 11:51 PM
I prefer the reporter from the 80s series since it gives her Vernon, Burne and Irma to interact with and shows how passionate she is about her work. Also, it reminds me of Lois Lane from Superman, which is one of my favourite franchises of all time.This is what I liked about OT April. She took her job super seriously. This is also why I don't consider her to be a damsel in distress. Doing your job and being overpowered because you're not a fighter or Mutant with super strength shouldn't even count. She even tries to fight back.

Peach = DiD to me. April doesn't.

Utrommaniac
02-05-2017, 11:59 PM
I think I'm going to go with lab assistant. It does make a little more sense in the long run. However, there is an investigative element to being a lab assistant and a reporter, but in the end, the lab assistant is more reasonable.

CyberCubed
02-06-2017, 02:21 AM
Problem is after the lab assistant job ends, the writers usually are at a loss of what to do with her. The 2k3 series tried to keep her in a tech support role, and even then she wasn't in a lot of episodes. Even IDW is struggling to keep April relevant, mostly trying to get her involved in the Pantheon storyline with Aka giving her a magic feather.

I mean there's not a lot you can do with that, and I can see why so many universes just make her a reporter or have her learn martial arts to keep her in the action. Funnily enough the Archie comic was the first series to make April learn how to fight.

Prowler
02-06-2017, 06:28 AM
I... don't know. Even if April as a reporter is pretty much a Fred Wolf thing I thought it fit that universe quite well. Just like lab assistant also fits Mirage and the 2k3 series very well.

Least favourite is school girl/student by far. April to me has to be significantly older than the Turtles. April being the same age as them and Donatello crushing on her is something I've never wanted to see.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Nobody's made the joke yet?

ABrown
02-06-2017, 10:18 AM
FW April wishes she was Lois Lane.

Well me personally, I'll take FW April over the DC Animated Universe Lois Lane.

neatoman
02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Well me personally, I'll take FW April over the DC Animated Universe Lois Lane.

Did FW April have a nice S? No? Then Lois wins.

MsMarvelDuckie
02-06-2017, 09:53 PM
I prefer the reporter/shop owner like the original film. It was a good compromise between the Mirage and cartoon versions, and it makes sense in almost any universe. I liked OT April's dedication to her job and her courage, too. A crime reporter would be ideal to keep her in the action and relevant. That would also give her access to various crime-investigation and forensic knowledge too.

IndigoErth
02-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Torn... I like gutsy reporter April that many/most of us grew up with, but I also like the techie, sciency, lab assistant April and nice seeing a female character played from that angle and quite competent.

ssjup81
02-06-2017, 10:09 PM
I prefer the reporter/shop owner like the original film. It was a good compromise between the Mirage and cartoon versions, and it makes sense in almost any universe. I liked OT April's dedication to her job and her courage, too. A crime reporter would be ideal to keep her in the action and relevant. That would also give her access to various crime-investigation and forensic knowledge too.This would suit me. I'd like this angle.

Technogeek29
02-06-2017, 10:48 PM
A toss up for me, since she isn't the focus of the story I don't mind her not having a too proactive role but I like her to have a point when she is around. IDW and the 1990's movie is so far my favorite balance.

ssjup81
02-06-2017, 11:09 PM
You know, my least favorite April from the list is Archie April. Just found her boring.

Powder
02-06-2017, 11:37 PM
She does nothing for me that universe either, I feel you.

pferreira
02-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Got to be the reporter, it's an iconic character design and she had a spunk and determination to her. Shame the PD movies messed that up.

I do like the lab assistant role and I find the store clerk thing to be charming, not at all a fan of the reporter angle though. I mean, isn't it kind of counterproductive to the Turtles?The whole point was that April as a reporter could figure out what was happening in the news and tell the Turtles about it, she could also keep the Turtles safe as a reporter to stop any other people working there go after them. In return the Turtles let her know of any crime going on so she could be the first to cover it.

FW April wishes she was Lois Lane.I bet she aspires to definitely. :)

Well me personally, I'll take FW April over the DC Animated Universe Lois Lane.No contest. :lol:

02-10-2017, 01:30 PM
You know, my least favorite April from the list is Archie April. Just found her boring.

Why? Because Splinter teaches her fighting?

ssjup81
02-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Why? Because Splinter teaches her fighting?No, because by that logic I wouldn't like Nick April or 2007 April. I don't dislike either...but don't favor them either.

Her story and personality were just boring for me. Getting down to it, there's nothing memorable about her for me...crept she learned to fight, started freelancing, and had that Japanese boyfriend with a dragon spirit or something. Just couldn't find her interesting.

Utrommaniac
02-10-2017, 02:41 PM
I find it kind of funny that ain't nobody here likes the schoolgirl or archeologist April :lol: .

CyberCubed
02-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Schoolgirl April is barely focused on in Nick, it should just be psychic/telepathic April.

Utrommaniac
02-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Yeah, that's true. I'd be surprised that there hasn't been any kind of truancy episode, but with the way that show is, it probably didn't cross anyone's mind.

CyberCubed
02-10-2017, 04:31 PM
It's obvious the CG limitations really hurt the show in terms of world building especially in the first two seasons. They barely had any people walking around the streets in general and the outside world was always barren. Had the Nick show been an actual cartoon instead of CG, we'd see all of this a lot easier with April in school, people outside, etc.

02-10-2017, 04:33 PM
It's sad we have to little people, but it's because probably much of the outdoor-rooftop action it's set by night.

pferreira
02-16-2017, 09:18 AM
It's obvious the CG limitations really hurt the show in terms of world building especially in the first two seasons. They barely had any people walking around the streets in general and the outside world was always barren. Had the Nick show been an actual cartoon instead of CG, we'd see all of this a lot easier with April in school, people outside, etc.Reminds me of the 2007 movie which had the same problem.

Tetsu Deinonychus
02-18-2017, 09:36 AM
It's sad we have to little people, but it's because probably much of the outdoor-rooftop action it's set by night.
That shouldn't matter in New York. It's called "the city that never sleeps" for a reason.