PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Adventures

RaphaelsIsolation
02-15-2017, 11:26 AM
So, this topic needs revived I think.

This ran for 72 issues right? I have a few of them, but what is the huge drawback on the trades from IDW?

Is it just coloring issues? I remember some great complaining about something.

I've been debating on tracking down all the issues or just going for trades.

CyberCubed
02-15-2017, 11:27 AM
The IDW Archie trades skipped about 5 issues in the middle because it dealt with Middle Eastern religion and had a page about Mohammed drawn. For some reason they didn't want to reprint those issues because of the religious overtones, so you would have to get those in single issues.

RaphaelsIsolation
02-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Okay cool. Thanks for that.

I understand why they didn't reprint some of those I guess. Not trying to be political at all, but I just get it personally.

Thanks!

pferreira
02-16-2017, 08:02 AM
The IDW Archie trades skipped about 5 issues in the middle because it dealt with Middle Eastern religion and had a page about Mohammed drawn. For some reason they didn't want to reprint those issues because of the religious overtones, so you would have to get those in single issues.I'd be interested to know actually which Mirage comics or stories have IDW skipped for the trades.

neatoman
02-16-2017, 08:13 AM
I'd be interested to know actually which Mirage comics or stories have IDW skipped for the trades.

Anything by Rick Veitch, the Moo Mesa crossover (so far) and some shorter stories that didn't fit into full issues. Basically anything before the Image series that isn't in the copyright swamp has been reprinted.

darthsmozers
02-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Okay cool. Thanks for that.

I understand why they didn't reprint some of those I guess. Not trying to be political at all, but I just get it personally.

Thanks!

They have included the Mutanimals 3-issue mini in the correct location (around issue 20 of TMNTA) and have also included 1 or 2 issues of the Mutanimals series where appropriate (though more would have been better). They recently included some Mutanimals backup stories in the correct locations as well. Finally, they have done a decent job of keeping story arcs within the same book, even if it has resulted in some inconsistent trade sizes (some 6 issues, some 5, some 4).

Sidenote: Don't ever apologize for touching a political topic. The discussion of ideas in a society is one of our dearest civil rights/responsibilities.

pferreira
02-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Anything by Rick Veitch, the Moo Mesa crossover (so far) and some shorter stories that didn't fit into full issues. Basically anything before the Image series that isn't in the copyright swamp has been reprinted.I was thinking more of a list of stories left out but thanks for that info anyway. :)

oldmanwinters
02-23-2017, 07:58 AM
Sidenote: Don't ever apologize for touching a political topic. The discussion of ideas in a society is one of our dearest civil rights/responsibilities.

My unfiltered honest thoughts:

Our liberal culture scoffs at the notion of censorship just so long as nobody is threatening to blow up anything over it. Then everybody caves and says, "we can't do that!"

ToTheNines
02-23-2017, 08:09 AM
I abhor censorship. But IDW is a privately owned company and can print or omit whatever they want, for whatever reason they see fit. Don't like it? Don't buy their stuff.

oldmanwinters
02-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Don't like it? Don't buy their stuff.

That's just my point! I can't buy it if they won't print it!

ToTheNines
02-23-2017, 10:00 AM
I mean if you don't like how they run their business, don't support them at all.

Andrew NDB
02-23-2017, 10:28 AM
I abhor censorship. But IDW is a privately owned company and can print or omit whatever they want, for whatever reason they see fit. Don't like it? Don't buy their stuff.

It has nothing to do with IDW. They'd reprint all that stuff in a heartbeat if they were allowed to.

plastroncafe
02-23-2017, 10:41 AM
I think it had less to do with the loony fringe, and more to do with the fact that it's disrespectful to peaceful adherents.

Technically, Christians are supposed to be as against graven images as well.

ToTheNines
02-23-2017, 10:51 AM
It has nothing to do with IDW. They're reprint all that stuff in a heartbeat if they were allowed to.

Oh... Nick...

I think it had less to do with the loony fringe, and more to do with the fact that it's disrespectful to peaceful adherents.

Technically, Christians are supposed to be as against graven images as well.

Again: don't like it? Feel free to not buy it.

plastroncafe
02-23-2017, 11:00 AM
Oh... Nick...

Again: don't like it? Feel free to not buy it.

If I'd have known then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have.
The issue lives bagged and boarded in one of my many long boxes, forever a reminder of a time when people were way less culturally savvy in their efforts to be inclusive.

Candy Kappa
02-23-2017, 11:05 AM
So all the issues With Al'Falqa is not reprinted? Pretty weaksauce, I liked that guy.

Seems more sensible to just edit that iirc one panel of a guy in a turban that's supposed to be Muhammed then don't publish the storyline at all.

CyberCubed
02-23-2017, 11:08 AM
They skipped 6 issues, including the one they return to Stump Asteroid to fight in their wrestling costumes again. And that issue had no reason to be skipped at all.

plastroncafe
02-23-2017, 11:14 AM
So all the issues With Al'Falqa is not reprinted? Pretty weaksauce, I liked that guy.

Seems more sensible to just edit that iirc one panel of a guy in a turban that's supposed to be Muhammed then don't publish the storyline at all.

Honestly? I'd prefer they either print it unedited with commentary, not unlike what Warner Bros has done (http://imgur.com/gallery/sOklpJa) to address issues with their older works, than have it reprinted edited in some way.

If the option is edited or no reprint, I'll take the no reprint option.

Andrew NDB
02-23-2017, 11:21 AM

That part probably is IDW. Probably went like this:

IDW shows an issue of Adventures to Nick.

"Can we reprint this?"

"No."

"Oh, OK."

And it's just left at that.

oldmanwinters
02-23-2017, 11:23 AM
That part probably is IDW. Probably went like this:

IDW shows an issue of Adventures to Nick.

"Can we reprint this?"

"No."

"Oh, OK."

And it's just left at that.

Steve Murphy did bold (yet tasteful) work back in the day... and wisely used a nom de plume!

Candy Kappa
02-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Honestly? I'd prefer they either print it unedited with commentary, not unlike what Warner Bros has done (http://imgur.com/gallery/sOklpJa) to address issues with their older works, than have it reprinted edited in some way.

Yeah, that's the better option.

Personaly, I would have liked it to be reprinted either way, as to me Al'Falqa was a noteworthy as Verminator X And Armaggon. And his story brought us soemthing different then just European/Arhturian, Spear of Desiny or Cup of Christ mythos stuff or Chi and Chakras from the Mystical Orient that gives you superpowers.

But, done is done.

RaphaelsIsolation
02-23-2017, 12:14 PM
Wow! lol

So what has happened is that I didn't want to get into it politcally about those issues being reprinted in the IDW trades... and someone backed up about saying what you think etc...

and this has turned into a political thread kinda. "kinda"

I mean my view on it is fine. If they don't want to print those controversial issues about religon then I'm okay with that. I'm personally not a fan of middle eastern culture or religons. Just not for me.

So I'm okay. I mean why would you want to re-print comics that has some references to a religon that basically okays terror on others that don't feel that same way you do?

liberals will roll

oldmanwinters
02-23-2017, 12:24 PM
So what has happened is that I didn't want to get into it politcally about those issues being reprinted in the IDW trades... and someone backed up about saying what you think etc...

and this has turned into a political thread kinda. "kinda"

That's what I love about forums.

I'd much rather let the fires burn on message boards with people I only know through usernames instead of social media with people I know personally. :tlol:

Seriously though, I thought most fans were well aware of the IDW reprint history, but this has revealed it wasn't as well known as I assumed.

I much prefer the strategy of what IDW did with their Tales of the TMNT Volume 2 reprint where they included a disclaimer (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40705) in the inside cover noting that the comics reflect their time period and "do not reflect today's values or those of Nickelodeon or IDW Publishing."

Candy Kappa
02-23-2017, 12:26 PM
So I'm okay. I mean why would you want to re-print comics that has some references to a religon that basically okays terror on others that don't feel that same way you do?

liberals will roll

oh Yeah, I forgot you where a huge troll.

plastroncafe
02-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Guess we know why they're in isolation.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Did someone call for the liberals to roll in?

Candy Kappa
02-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Liberals! Transform and roll out!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-23-2017, 12:37 PM
I'm not quite through with my daily routine of prayer to Sam Bee and John Oliver, but I think I can fit in a few comments on this thread before I have to officiate at a lesbian wedding for Muslim illegal immigrants...

Busy day. Busy day.

plastroncafe
02-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Dang it, I went and left my "Fanboy Tears" mug at home.
Sigh.

ToTheNines
02-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Holy sh*t, we've reached a middle ground lol.

But seriously, that's a great idea. Always better to educate than to shelter.

AlZarkovski
02-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures Volume 14 (https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Adventures/dp/1684050731/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1488211675&sr=1-8&keywords=ninja+turtles)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61CkiIxQENL.jpg

neatoman
02-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures Volume 14 (https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Adventures/dp/1684050731/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1488211675&sr=1-8&keywords=ninja+turtles)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61CkiIxQENL.jpg

I know the IDW Archie collections have had weird covers due to the need of combining imagery from stories which part of the (arguably) weirdest TMNT incarnation, bit this takes the cake so far. What the hell am I looking at here?

Donnie tries to high five alien Steve Jobs, while Raph and Leo are threatening a dentist about to pull out one of a blindfolded Mikey's teeth. In the top corners the Turtles look like they're in a game show and A'Tuin.

CyberCubed
02-27-2017, 11:23 AM
The Turtle toddlers are at top, it's a flashback issue showing the Turtles as kids and how they got their weapons.

Funnily enough the black scientist would probably have been Bishop now if his character was created back then.

pferreira
03-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Funnily enough the black scientist would probably have been Bishop now if his character was created back then.At first I thought it was Baxter.

Seriously though, I thought most fans were well aware of the IDW reprint history, but this has revealed it wasn't as well known as I assumed.I was wondering if you knew of a list of what has and hasn't been reprinted with the Mirage comics. I'd like to know in advance for when I start reading them properly from the beginning again.

John Pannozzi
03-02-2017, 03:41 PM

Viacom is publicly traded, though, for whatever it's worth.

Kingoji
03-03-2017, 04:33 AM
I much prefer the strategy of what IDW did with their Tales of the TMNT Volume 2 reprint where they included a disclaimer (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40705) in the inside cover noting that the comics reflect their time period and "do not reflect today's values or those of Nickelodeon or IDW Publishing."

I dunno if that kind of disclaimer would work in this particular case though. The "times" haven't actually changed on this matter (images depicting Muhammed being considered blasphemous), all that's different is that the book was originally printed in a much smaller, pre-internet world, when it was "safer" to talk about such things without upsetting anyone.
Ironically, the internet itself is full of images of Muhammed.

RaphaelsIsolation
03-03-2017, 07:58 AM
I was able to pick up 3-14 really cheap at 1.50 each.

I was very lucky. The issues are hard to find. I'm not even going to worry about getting first prints. These issues are near mint, look like they've been stored away for 25+ years.

I might still get some of the trades. I've never read the Archie stuff... so I don't know.

Getting all the issues would be really fun. I'm guessing issues 50 on onwards are tougher to find?

plastroncafe
03-03-2017, 09:06 AM
I dunno if that kind of disclaimer would work in this particular case though. The "times" haven't actually changed on this matter (images depicting Muhammed being considered blasphemous), all that's different is that the book was originally printed in a much smaller, pre-internet world, when it was "safer" to talk about such things without upsetting anyone.
Ironically, the internet itself is full of images of Muhammed.

That's not quite the spin I would put on that situation. I think it adds a level of intent that the creators just didn't have. They weren't doing it to be edgy, or because it was safer, it's more likely they were adding Muhammad to be inclusive all the while being oblivious to the fact that adding him in the first place was disrespectful

The path to Hell being paved by Good Intentions, and all that.

Kingoji
03-03-2017, 03:29 PM
No "spin" intended. The world *was* a smaller place back then, and such obliviousness would only be further proof of it.
I would however question the idea that they were oblivious to the situation. They obviously studied up for the story.

ToTheNines
03-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Yeah, it's weird because on one hand I have to believe Murph had to know about Islam and their iconoclastic beliefs. But then he definitely doesn't have that Trey Parker & Matt Stone sense of humor where he'd just throw it in to troll his Muslim readers, who were mostly children.

I dunno, maybe Chris Allan did it?

Jephael
03-30-2017, 11:35 PM
Hey Cubed, you kinda glossed over what I said about Mondo Gecko's girlfriend Candy Fine. What was your opinion on her?