PDA

View Full Version : Official Episode Discussion S4 Ep 25: Requiem

victory_angel
02-19-2017, 12:39 AM
And now we have reached the first of the two penultimate episodes of this season, Requiem.

In this episode, we see the final battle between Shredder and Splinter. When these two ninja titans clash only one side shall weep bitter tears and the other side will prevail, but who will it be?

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 02:30 AM
It's now up on I Tunes.

Redworld96
02-19-2017, 02:40 AM
Watched. The english dubbing is unbeatable. Da*n
What an episode to just be the first part of the season finale
:(:(

NinjaMan
02-19-2017, 02:45 AM
Love it Korean and love it in English. What are dark sad episode.

Penst0ck
02-19-2017, 02:46 AM
I kept it together pretty well 'till Mikey called Splinter "Papa" :cry:

Ninjinister
02-19-2017, 02:50 AM
Wow it's actually up on Xbox. I think this is the first time it's been up this early since I've been watching it on here.

ssjup81
02-19-2017, 03:23 AM
O_O Wow! That was intense. I'll be back later to compose my thoughts better and rewatch it.

I saw what happened to Rahzar but what happened to Fishface? It's like he disappeared.

Ninjinister
02-19-2017, 03:35 AM
In addition to the obvious heaviness of the episode.. I can't believe they actually made a Carter reference.

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 03:44 AM
This one episode redeemed the entire series for me.

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 03:51 AM
:cry::tcry:

That was so sad, it felt like my heart was ripped out and put in a blender.

I said it after watching the Korean version and I say again

'I HATE BEING RIGHT'

This is for anyone who disagreed with me over 'Splinter dies permanently' for the past year

So I can finally use this gif now

https://68.media.tumblr.com/c3e40c5166de1a2a5ddbb8c86c008457/tumblr_n7ytemsldw1tfa8pto1_400.gif

MarsicornYT
02-19-2017, 06:00 AM
Holy!!! Those flash backs and the slow motion just made me lose it. I sobbed... again... at a cartoon.
My overall favourite episode of the whole of tmnt franchise, hands down.

Also Vicky does your post about who dies have to be under spoilers? or do people have to know the risk when entering an episode discussion thread?

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 06:02 AM
Holy!!! Those flash backs and the slow motion just made me lose it. I sobbed... again... at a cartoon.
My overall favourite episode of the whole of tmnt franchise, hands down.

Also Vicky does your post about who dies have to be under spoilers? or do people have to know the risk when entering an episode discussion thread?

No because it's a episode discussion thread that will contain heavy spoilers, so if someone comes in here and hadn't seen the episode yet and sees spoilers, it's there fault.

MarsicornYT
02-19-2017, 06:21 AM
No because it's a episode discussion thread that will contain heavy spoilers, so if someone comes in here and hadn't seen the episode yet and sees spoilers, it's there fault.

Oki just making sure.

Also anyone else notice the reference from the first movie when Shredder got thrown into the garbage truck by Splinter and Casey turned it on, just like in this episode, but here April threw him in it and Casey turned it on. I can not wait for the next episode! Why did they not air them together?! Ughh

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 06:32 AM
Hats off to Seth Green, Hoon Lee and Kevin Michael Richardson. Outstanding performances!

(Dishonourable mention to the voice direction on Josh Peck's "oops" - just did NOT fit the context of that scene.)

Spirael
02-19-2017, 08:07 AM
The "Oops" is a nod to the original live action film, MrTMNT2012. I was squeeing like a fangirl as soon as I saw Casey with the garbage truck! :D

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 08:16 AM
The "Oops" is a nod to the original live action film, MrTMNT2012. I was squeeing like a fangirl as soon as I saw Casey with the garbage truck! :D

Thank you, I was very well aware of that! :tsmile:

I was specifically commenting on the way Casey Jones said it. The inflection in his voice came across way WAY too 'loud' during a very quiet and somber scenario.

A more subtle performance would have been better/more appropriate.

ObiWanFan4life
02-19-2017, 08:20 AM
I love all of the callbacks to the earlier seasons.

Spirael
02-19-2017, 08:20 AM
?? But then it wouldn't have been a nod to the way it was delivered in the original film!

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 08:21 AM
?? But then it wouldn't have been a nod to the way it was delivered in the original film!

I genuinely don't understand this...

Spirael
02-19-2017, 08:27 AM
That's fine, I don't understand you either! ;)

Either they leave the shout out to the original film intact, or don't put it in at all. Having a sombre "Oops" would have just been beyond weird!

ctt4lfecw
02-19-2017, 08:32 AM
Wow that was something.

Aaronardo
02-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Wow. I have no criticisms. Just a legitimately well-done episode. Nice use of foreshadowing and all the characters were well-done. Hell, even the two references were quite good.

For the first time since the second season, I think I'm gonna immediately watch this episode again now. Well done.

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 08:40 AM
That's fine, I don't understand you either! ;)

Either they leave the shout out to the original film intact, or don't put it in at all. Having a sombre "Oops" would have just been beyond weird!

Not somber, subtle.

It's really hard to describe since I'm not a voice director but the way Josh Peck said it kinda felt out of place.

Like you have Splinter dead in the corner and Casey just really decides to EMPHASISE that 'OOOPS' in a moody teenager kind of way...

In that moment, Casey should have been so awestruck that he says it almost under his breath!

ObiWanFan4life
02-19-2017, 08:40 AM
My only real critique is that the show has pulled the Splinter is gonna die card a few too many times for the ending (which is still well done) to be as moving as it could have been.

Dust
02-19-2017, 08:42 AM
I genuinely don't understand this...

Did you watch the original 1991 TMNT film? Casey's "oops" is a reference to that, dump truck and all, and it's obviously spoken with contempt for Shredder.

Cyndaquilfan123
02-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Wow. Just wow. Splinter is dead!?!?! Did Leatherhead drown Rahzaar?

MikeandRaph87
02-19-2017, 08:44 AM
O_O Wow! That was intense. I'll be back later to compose my thoughts better and rewatch it.

I saw what happened to Rahzar but what happened to Fishface? It's like he disappeared.

I thought of the six henchmutants we only saw Baxter's fate? I could have missed something in Korean.

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Guys try not to spoil the next episode please.

ToTheNines
02-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Oh man, if you didn't cry, you have no soul. That was rough.

Brutal episode. I'm at a loss for words. I was having such a fun morning (I went back and watched The Gauntlet, Showdown, and Tale of The Yokai) and now I'm gonna be bummed all day.

RIP Splinter and best wishes to Hoon Lee. Dude is insanely talented. Looking forward to seeing him in Iron Fist.

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 08:49 AM
My only real critique is that the show has pulled the Splinter is gonna die card a few too many times for the ending (which is still well done) to be as moving as it could have been.

I disagree.

I don't care what anyone thinks of this particular incarnation - wether Splinter fake died before or the fact that the show went downhill after Season 1...

If this isn't the single most powerful image in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles then you are not a fan.

Fang Wolf
02-19-2017, 09:04 AM
I saw that they had taken part of the first TMNT film 1990.
When Shredder falls into the garbage truck and Casey start it.

Shredder is the monster without feelings? :cry:
Now he is completely destroyed. :(:(:(

+ That was great eps, but sad.

BubblyShell22
02-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Whoa! That was an intense and sad episode! The battle scenes were intense and when he offed Splinter, I yelled out and then cried when the Turtles did. I also got emotional when Splinter was talking to Leo and you could just tell he knew what was going to happen. I think he was having dreams about it and knew it was time for him to go. It was still sad though and hats off to all of the actors for some great performances as they all did a great job with them. You could feel the emotion as you watched it and it made you cry for them.

Also loved the throwback to the first movie and Casey pressing the lever. I thought his line was delivered just fine and he did it obviously in contempt of Shredder as someone else just said.

Overall, a sad but brilliant episode nonetheless.

Next episode, it's about to go down for REAL!

ObiWanFan4life
02-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Whoa! That was an intense and sad episode! The battle scenes were intense and when he offed Splinter, I yelled out and then cried when the Turtles did. I also got emotional when Splinter was talking to Leo and you could just tell he knew what was going to happen. I think he was having dreams about it and knew it was time for him to go. It was still sad though and hats off to all of the actors for some great performances as they all did a great job with them. You could feel the emotion as you watched it and it made you cry for them.

Also loved the throwback to the first movie and Casey pressing the lever. I thought his line was delivered just fine and he did it obviously in contempt of Shredder as someone else just said.

Overall, a sad but brilliant episode nonetheless.

Next episode, it's about to go down for REAL!

Ideed! It is :D

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Also I think this might be the first kids cartoon to say the D word and then immediately carry it out right afterward... O_O

SAVAGERY

Unworthy tinker
02-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Hands down, best episode since The Invasion. No other episode if the 2012 series had brought me this close to crying (well, maybe Tale of the Yokai), until now.

The reference to Carter was random. I personally never really hated the character, but it is still an odd choice to reference one of the most hated characters in the franchise. The only reason I can see for this reference could be a sign that Nick's Red sky/FF&BTTS era is coming. When you think about it, season five is just that. It'll have actual arcs, but probably won't tie into the first four seasons much. It's a shift in direction, I suppose. Or it's just taking a jab at the 80's series and I'm overthinking it. Probably isn't foreshadowing.

I actually like Casey saying "Oops". It showed how pissed off he was while conveying the character's personality, and it didn't really come off as stupid (to me anyways). Can we at least agree that it was better than the controversial "This is awesome!" In Annihilation: Earth?
I liked early Casey since he cared about some things and had his deeper moments, but of course he became less likeable in more recent years. However, I feel like he's actually been more tolerable since The Power Inside her. Here though, he was dare I say, actually kind of badass?

And finally, the big one. I thought that Splinter had fake died too many times for it to still bring me to tears. I was mistaken. I was sad when he fell, had trouble keeping it together during the flashbacks, then lost it when Mikey said "Papa".

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Yeah the 'Papa' line...

Well played Brandon Auman (or whoever made that specific writing decision)

I cried. Again.

ToTheNines
02-19-2017, 09:22 AM
So I couldn't fathom a 7 day wait and went ahead and watched Owari in Korean.

Won't spoil anything, but I just want to say: FUC* YOU NICKELODEON SCHEDULING DEPARTMENT!

This plays so good as a 2 parter, and the last 3 seasons have all followed the same formula. Then again, knowing the simpletons that work on scheduling, maybe it's simply Ciro and Company's fault for not just calling them Owari parts 1 and 2.

Aaronardo
02-19-2017, 09:23 AM
Even aside from the "oops" part, Casey was really good in this episode. If that doesn't show how great the other characters were, I don't know what does. He felt like the character they introduced in the second season years ago. Just some kid, but surprisingly competent. Even the one joke he told was pretty good.

I f*cking loved that Carter reference. It worked in the context of the scene and came right out of nowhere. Nice touch.

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Also, is this the first time the Turtles cried in this series?

I remember in the 2003 series they cried like every other episode...

Jester
02-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Watching now. Laughed way to hard at the Carter reference. Expected Super Shredder to say "Then so be it!" When Karai said they'd all die in the warehouse fight. Let's see how this all plays out.

EDIT: man...what a gut punch. Though the garbage truck and Casey's, "Oops." Had me cheering. Next week is going to be wicked.

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Also, is this the first time the Turtles cried in this series?

I remember in the 2003 series they cried like every other episode...

MIkey cried in Season 3 final and at the beginning of Beyond the Known Universe you see a pic of the turtles crying.

The only time that the turtles cried in the 2003 show was Raph in Tales of Leo.

NinjaMan
02-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Even though I saw the Korean version I still can't believer leatherhead killed rahzar.

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 09:36 AM
I doubt Rahzar's dead, if he can survive being run over by a train he will survive drowning.

Aaronardo
02-19-2017, 09:41 AM
I doubt Rahzar's dead, if he can survive being run over by a train he will survive drowning.

If Shredder can walk right away from a mad mutant alligator attack, then how can he be incapacitated after Splinter gives him a couple hits? If there's one thing this show isn't, it's consistent.

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 09:43 AM
If Shredder can walk right away from a mad mutant alligator attack, then how can he be incapacitated after Splinter gives him a couple hits? If there's one thing this show isn't, it's consistent.

Seeing how I don't even consider the whole Triceratons/Space arc canon, I just like to assume Shredder being crushed under the statue in 'Clash of the Mutanimals' was the preposition for that.

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 09:47 AM

Ok so if Rahzar doesn't appear in the first few episodes of season 5 then he's dead but I hope he aint I wan't Mikey to kill him.

Aaronardo
02-19-2017, 09:49 AM
Seeing how I don't even consider the whole Triceratons/Space arc canon, I just like to assume Shredder being crushed under the statue in 'Clash of the Mutanimals' was the preposition for that.

Right with you there. You could skip a season's worth of episodes (half of 3 and half or more of 4) and it wouldn't change the storyline much and make the pacing better.

ToTheNines
02-19-2017, 09:51 AM
I'm fine with TigerClaw and maybe Baxter living and having a presence in season 5, but the rest of the Foot deserve to die.

ToTheNines
02-19-2017, 09:54 AM

I watched Earth's Last Stand not that long ago, and upon further review, Splinter definitely paralyzed him. And that last freebie he unloaded upon his head was pretty powerful.

PApagreg
02-19-2017, 10:17 AM
I watched Earth's Last Stand not that long ago, and upon further review, Splinter definitely paralyzed him. And that last freebie he unloaded upon his head was pretty powerful.

Well that was pretty much pressure points so rules are a little different there

As for this episode how is that I feel more sorrow about a 14 year old not knowing his password for his laptop, than a do for the death of Splinter.

1- Its kinda Splinter's fault, the dude is pretty much the only person who can beat Shredder in hand to hand combat but instead of finishing the job he half ass it and waits until Shredder's empire grows, hell once you think about it everything that Shredder does from the beginning of the series to the present episode Splinter is partially responsible with his inactivity. Whats worse is that we have had 3 fake outs and 1 "death" that I became desensitized towards the whole thing and the fact Splinter didn't check for a body makes me think he was asking for it.

2- The fault of the Turtles, they knew that Shredder would risk the world for Splinter's death and instead of trying to find where he was located they decided to play board games. Hell the fact they didn't think of the possibility that Shredder would't mutate himself makes me think they have some sort head injury(and to add salt to the wound the fact Donnie didn't have any extra retro mutagen is beyond stupid).

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Time for the UK airing :D:cry:

Redworld96
02-19-2017, 11:14 AM
I can't wait to watch Blacknerd's review and his reactions.

kelligrafie
02-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Leatherhead really takes a pounding doesn't he?

I know he's a giant mutant croc/gator/whatever but he's a lot older than he was when they first introduced him, because of the time difference between Earth and Dimension X when Leatherhead was prisoner.

I saw this episode in Korean and bawled my eyes out. And then it was no better in English, even though I knew what was coming. I've never cried at TMNT before. My heart nearly stopped when Splinter was soaring off the building.

Have to say, the sound and music team really stepped it up this episode.

IndigoErth
02-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Wtf... :tcry: Had wished spoilery crap wasn't true, but maybe it was better knowing it was going to happen. So sad though. Some other version wouldn't be as bad, but 2012 just seem far too young to be left orphaned like that.

I'm kinda mad Shredder didn't die. Less dramatic maybe, but I'd kind of rather Shredder died first then if Splinter must go maybe later at home from internal injuries. (In the beginning of this one, you'd think he was secretly ill...) Jeezus, Nick. Surprisingly brutal for a "kid's show." (If that doesn't earn it any Kid's Choice votes there is something wrong.)

Off with his head, Leo. Nick wants to push envelops so much, then do it.

Though I have to say, while watching it Splinter's death kind of ruined my giving any craps that they did the trash truck bit.

Annnnd just going to take a guess that Shini's real job here is to be Karai's ticket back to Japan. Shame she never really got the chance to spend all that much time with her real father. At least she and the Turtles still have each other as adoptive family, but all of them orphaned... :tsad:

These Turtles need their own Ancient One to show up for a while.

NinjaMan
02-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Leatherhead really takes a pounding doesn't he?

I know he's a giant mutant croc/gator/whatever but he's a lot older than he was when they first introduced him, because of the time difference between Earth and Dimension X when Leatherhead was prisoner.

I saw this episode in Korean and bawled my eyes out. And then it was no better in English, even though I knew what was coming. I've never cried at TMNT before. My heart nearly stopped when Splinter was soaring off the building.

Have to say, the sound and music team really stepped it up this episode.

He's almost nigh invulnerable lol. Loved how he called out rocksteady for being a coward.

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 12:04 PM
I just can't stop gushing over this episode. It's the artistic pinnacle of TMNT.

Now you know why the Nick design for Splinter was so much taller than other incarnations; because then ALL four Turtles get to carry his lifeless body...

If he was short like the other versions, we'd probably just get Leo carrying him with the other Turtles in the background. Subtle design choices like that can make a scene go from mildly emotional to GUT-WRENCHINGLY emotional!

oldmanwinters
02-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Watching now. Laughed way to hard at the Carter reference. Expected Super Shredder to say "Then so be it!" When Karai said they'd all die in the warehouse fight. Let's see how this all plays out.

EDIT: man...what a gut punch. Though the garbage truck and Casey's, "Oops." Had me cheering. Next week is going to be wicked.

Carter, YES.

I appreciated the invoking of the 1st movie conclusion but twisting it for tragic effect. Splinter's dare of Shredder to rush him while hiding his weapon & strategy was well done, making it look like Shredder might actually have gone over the edge for good.

The careful camera syncing of the good guy views from the ground and building top as Shredder turned the tables was one of my favorite sequences in the whole series. Watching all their faces respond in horror as Splinter fell to the ground... such pathos.

I know it's a kid's show shooting for a Y7 rating or whatever, but how in the world is Splinter's already broken body so durable as to withstand a free fall from a skyscraper to the pavement fully intact?

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Andre Meadows ‏@BlackNerd 5m
Trying to film and edit today's @TMNT episode recap... if I can stop crying... #TurtleFeels #TMNT

I'm looking forward to his recap

Yoshimickster
02-19-2017, 12:13 PM
GEEZE-and I thought Takeshi losing an arm would be the most grisly this season would get!

LeotheLateBloomer
02-19-2017, 12:43 PM
What makes it more of an impact is that this time, you can actually see the blades piercing through Splinter whereas last time, the camera cut above him and Shredder's blades so you wouldn't be able to fully see it.

NinjaMan
02-19-2017, 12:48 PM
What makes it more of an impact is that this time, you can actually see the blades piercing through Splinter whereas last time, the camera cut above him and Shredder's blades so you wouldn't be able to fully see it.

You can hear the fleshy sound as well.

Coola Yagami
02-19-2017, 01:11 PM
This episode was intense, and Splinter's death was handled with much more seriousness than the first time. No Casey yelling 'AWESOME!!!' at the end to ruin the mood.

Honestly surprised they showed a clearer camera angle that shows that without a doubt, Shredder is clearly impaling Splinter. If it weren't for the kid rating system, the only thing to complete this scene would have been the pool of blood spilling at Shredder's feet.

Very well done episode, and the next one is gonna be just as intense.

victory_angel
02-19-2017, 01:17 PM
MIkey cried in Season 3 final and at the beginning of Beyond the Known Universe you see a pic of the turtles crying.

The only time that the turtles cried in the 2003 show was Raph in Tales of Leo.

Mikey and Leo also were shown with tears in their eyes during the vision quest episode, and Donnie was close to breaking down in tears in Revenge of the Triceratons.

ssjup81
02-19-2017, 01:41 PM
I'm fine with TigerClaw and maybe Baxter living and having a presence in season 5, but the rest of the Foot deserve to die.Steranko, Zeck, and Baxter, IMO, don't deserve to die because they were forced to work for Shredder and were forcibly mutated. Xever and Bradford were loyal to Shredder willingly....ok well Xever kind of. If any of them needed to go, it was Bradford.

CyberCubed
02-19-2017, 02:07 PM
The two best things of this episode was Carter and the movie 1 references. :lol:

Great ep overall, but yeah if they didn't fake out on Splinter's death so many times before this, it would have had a bigger impact. Still if Splinter really is dead for good, I give them props for being the first TMNT cartoon to actually kill him off.

Right with you there. You could skip a season's worth of episodes (half of 3 and half or more of 4) and it wouldn't change the storyline much and make the pacing better.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? The point of TMNT is not just the Turtles fighting Shredder 24/7. The space arc, as well as all the other various episodes that didn't have Shredder in them, are important episodes because they've about the Turtles adventures and mythos. TMNT isn't anime, there's no reason to complain about "filler" when all of TMNT is like this. Likewise the Turtles going into space is important to every TMNT incarnation.

matteso586
02-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Is anyone surprised that attacking the exposed heart no longer works?

Apparently, April only wears her hair down every time she "goes super saiyan".

What was that Chris Bradford cartoon supposed to foreshadow. Imagine that being season 2's cartoon instead, then it would foreshadowIrma being revealed as a robot suit. LOL

Glad that Casey is getting better at the whole angst thing.

CyberCubed
02-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Bit of a shame Muckman isn't with the Mutanimals, I thought he joined them at the end of Season 3.

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 02:24 PM
The two best things of this episode was Carter and the movie 1 references. :lol:

We had an episode with introspective implications of what it means to be a leader, the heavy burden one carries after loss and how they can turn it into their strength beautifully symbolised through poetic imagery

And THOSE were the best things about the episode?

No wonder this show got trash after Season 1. Y'all kept encouraging these dumbass pointless references to be put in instead of seeing if the show had anything of actual substance to offer.

victory_angel
02-19-2017, 02:24 PM

What was that Chris Bradford cartoon supposed to foreshadow. Imagine that being season 2's cartoon instead, then it would foreshadowIrma being revealed as a robot suit. LOL

I think it's meant to represent and ending no one saw coming. For example the kid character in the tv show it just there for the most part every time they show him in the Chris Bradford series. But in this episode he comes forward and reveals he's actually a villain and there was nothing to suggest that before.

Then we have the death of Splinter. We know there are implied hints that Splinter would die, and we have had death of Splinter moments be it supposed death, or a death that is almost immediately retconned. So it's easy to assume that if Splinter died in the finale, they would come up with a way to reverse it. But then we see Splinter die for good and all and it's surprising to see a main character not only killed off on screen, but he is dead permanently.

CyberCubed
02-19-2017, 02:26 PM
No wonder this show got trash after Season 1. Y'all kept encouraging these dumbass pointless references to be put in instead of seeing if the show had anything of actual substance to offer.

I'm joking, but I still loved those references. :lol:

And no, the show was never "trash," and has remained consistently good every season. Sure there were some bad or lackluster episodes, but that's the same for any series.

Aaronardo
02-19-2017, 02:32 PM
What on earth is that supposed to mean? The point of TMNT is not just the Turtles fighting Shredder 24/7. The space arc, as well as all the other various episodes that didn't have Shredder in them, are important episodes because they've about the Turtles adventures and mythos. TMNT isn't anime, there's no reason to complain about "filler" when all of TMNT is like this. Likewise the Turtles going into space is important to every TMNT incarnation.

Because, yeah, the space arc in this show completely expanded on the mythos and lore of TMNT for this show in an intelligent way and all if not most of those elements came into play later on.

Without the episodes I have in mind, we would theoretically have better and more consistent pacing, no Splinter death fakeout (making this episode's events just a bit more impactful), and the exact same story we already have without the bullsh*t paradox of ELS. The events of that episode should've made the entire universe cave in onto itself.

I'm not talking about one comedic episode for fun purposes here, I'm talking about a large patch of episodes (pretty much every episode including the Triceratons) including very big story-based episodes that, if cut, would simply not change the outcomes of any episode that comes after it (thus far, anyway. If the Triceratons come back for Season 5, then I'll look pretty stupid).

Redworld96
02-19-2017, 02:37 PM
Blacknerd's review:

l6OTWU8Yl8E

CyberCubed
02-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Because, yeah, the space arc in this show completely expanded on the mythos and lore of TMNT for this show in an intelligent way and all if not most of those elements came into play later on.

They're not important to the Shredder arc as said, but they'll important to the show or to the TMNT mythos. You could say the same about the 2k3 series episodes that didn't impact the Shredder story. Most of the original cartoon, Mirage comics, Archie, etc. all had random one-off stories with no connection to anything else. That's why I say every TMNT universe has always been like this.

I'm not talking about one comedic episode for fun purposes here, I'm talking about a large patch of episodes (pretty much every episode including the Triceratons) including very big story-based episodes that, if cut, would simply not change the outcomes of any episode that comes after it (thus far, anyway. If the Triceratons come back for Season 5, then I'll look pretty stupid).

Well then they could have theoretically ended the whole Shredder storyline by the end of Season 3, pushing all the other eps into Season 4. But then people would complain Shredder was axed too early in the series, and now the Turtles are just on random adventures.

The TMNT franchise has historically always had trouble moving on from Shredder, at least outside of Mirage. There's a reason 4kids kept bringing back alternate Shredder's after Ch'rell, why the OT kept Shredder nearly to the end and some didn't like Lord Dregg, and why Archie and IDW keep bringing him back.

Technogeek29
02-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Too many fake outs to make me care that Splinter perished in this episode me and my brother joked and said "No Dragon balls this time kiddos"

Everything else was fine, I like the references to the first movie and surprisingly Carter. Mikey didn't make me roll my eyes once so that's a bonus as well. I give it a 7/10 too many fake outs for me to even pretend to care.

victory_angel
02-19-2017, 03:43 PM
I like how they opened things with the Turtles, by having Mikey saying that things are winding down by stating

Mikey: My dudes, my bros, my Turts...it's that time again. Our series is winding down, the end of a season...the final episode.

While he was using this to announce they would be seeing the last episode of Chris Bradford's 2 Rough Crew. In a way it's also Greg Cipes informing the viewers that the Turtle's story is coming to a close both in the case of this season as this is only one of two final episodes this season. But also because the Turtle's series itself at least this current one is also coming to a close.

Coola Yagami
02-19-2017, 03:46 PM
This one did get me. The other times weren't real fake outs. We never saw a body. He could have been alive. Then that one time, the friggin planet blew up. Did anyone really think they were just gonna leave the planet destroyed and turn into Fast Forward with a whole new supporting cast? I knew even then that by default, whatever excuse they would use (in this case, time travel do-over) to bring back the planet, would also bring back Splinter.

This time there's none of that. Unless the next season does some Dragonball stuff, Splinter is gone for good.

Ioz
02-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Sad about Splinter. What the heck happened to Monkey Brains? Bad editing/writing to not show him escape or does know one care about him and he's done?

Coola Yagami
02-19-2017, 03:51 PM
I guess it was hard to show everything. The episode was pretty fast paced after all. I mean, Fishface just vanished mid-battle.

Ioz
02-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I was wondering a bit about Fishface as well. They could have easily shown Monkey Brains run out/carried out with the others at the same time, though.

neatoman
02-19-2017, 04:02 PM
This time there's none of that. Unless the next season does some Dragonball stuff, Splinter is gone for good.

Cloning, mutagen, more time travel, evil twin, healing coma, alternate dimension, ritual, possession, the will of god, reincarnation, etc including getting a wish granted. There's countless ways of doing it.

Hero
02-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Sorry if this has been posted about before.

I stumbled on Requiem airing today on Nicktoons UK (Sky ch.606) at 5pm. The episode is being repeated 7am next Saturday with the season finale also airing later at 5pm.

So, the UK is airing the Season 4 final one day before the US.

I already watched the Requiem episode via Redworld (mucho thanks!) and caught the later half on Nicktoons. It looks like the UK censors have left this episode well alone. Hopefully Saturdays repeat will also be the same.

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Sorry if this has been posted about before.

I stumbled on Requiem airing today on Nicktoons UK (Sky ch.606) at 5pm. The episode is being repeated 7am next Saturday with the season finale also airing later at 5pm.

So, the UK is airing the Season 4 final one day before the US.

I already watched the Requiem episode via Redworld (mucho thanks!) and caught the later half on Nicktoons. It looks like the UK censors have left this episode well alone. Hopefully Saturdays repeat will also be the same.

Yeah i've mentioned it.

Yeah I was surprised that nothing got cut of this episode. In Tale of Tiger Claw they cut bits out of Splinter's Drunken Master Lesson but didn't cut out Tiger Claws arm getting cut off. Our censors are strange :-?

CyberCubed
02-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Was the decision to kill off Splinter because his VA got too busy with other shows? You have to remember Splinter wasn't in the majority of Season 4 to begin with because of the space arc, so he only appeared in like less than half the eps this season.

Vicky82
02-19-2017, 04:32 PM
Was the decision to kill off Splinter because his VA got too busy with other shows? You have to remember Splinter wasn't in the majority of Season 4 to begin with because of the space arc, so he only appeared in like less than half the eps this season.

Maybe Ciro wanted to use his original idea (Splinter dies before the series starts) and include it in season 4 and see turtles get on without Splinter in season 5.

I reckon we will still see Splinter either spiritually, (It was mentioned in the last episode that Mikey and Leo are more Spiritually than Raph and Donnie) memories, dreams and flashbacks.

CyberCubed
02-19-2017, 04:32 PM
Yeah I think so too, I can definitely see a spirit version of Splinter aiding the Turtles at times.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
02-19-2017, 04:38 PM
I wonder what happened to Doctor Rockwell?
Shredder threw, and smashed him, but after the building collapsed and everyone ran out, he was not with them.

CyberCubed
02-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Considering the blatant Carter and Movie 1 references, I really do think April's hair standing up is probably a reference to Kala the Neutrino. It looks way too similar to not be an intentional homage like the others.

ssjup81
02-19-2017, 04:42 PM
This one did get me. The other times weren't real fake outs. We never saw a body. He could have been alive. Then that one time, the friggin planet blew up. Did anyone really think they were just gonna leave the planet destroyed and turn into Fast Forward with a whole new supporting cast? I knew even then that by default, whatever excuse they would use (in this case, time travel do-over) to bring back the planet, would also bring back Splinter.

This time there's none of that. Unless the next season does some Dragonball stuff, Splinter is gone for good.Yes, this. I still don't see how people consider the other times fake outs.End of season 2, we saw Splinter get saved by Karai. It was more like, how will he survive the situation and Mikey, when calming down Raph, said as much.

End of season 3, he was impaled, but as you said, earth was destroyed. Ideally, I didn't want him brought back, but realistically knew there was a strong possibility that he'd have a second chance, and not get killed.

The Rat King stuff could count as a fake out, but it was adapting a storyline that he survived for.

This is the only time where there's no ifs ands or buts regarding his fate. The only way I could see Splinter coming back is in spirit form, and given Splinter's intuition stuff last ep, I feel it's a strong possibility that Leo or Mikey will be the one to encounter this.

ToTheNines
02-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Steranko, Zeck, and Baxter, IMO, don't deserve to die because they were forced to work for Shredder and were forcibly mutated. Xever and Bradford were loyal to Shredder willingly....ok well Xever kind of. If any of them needed to go, it was Bradford.

Steranko and Zeck were gleefully complicit in Splinter's murder. I say no mercy.

ssjup81
02-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Steranko and Zeck were gleefully complicit in Splinter's murder. I say no mercy.The alternative for going against Shredder is death. They also blame the Turtles for their forced mutations. Also, how were they gleeful over Splinter's death? They were just there to be a distraction.

BubblyShell22
02-19-2017, 05:53 PM
They went along with the plan to split up the team so Shredder could kill Splinter, so they are just as guilty as he is.

Was the Carter reference during the Bradford cartoon?

Also liked how Mikey foreshadowed that things are coming to an end even if he did talk about the Bradford show.

Autbot_Benz
02-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Well I FINALLY got to watch it thanks to Redworld96 putting it on his tumblr. My god what an episode this is the first Cartoon that brought me to tears. I loved the Nod to the 1990 movie ending with Casey.

Shame on all the Cartoon sites for not having this up yet.

PApagreg
02-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Cloning, mutagen, more time travel, evil twin, healing coma, alternate dimension, ritual, possession, the will of god, reincarnation, etc including getting a wish granted. There's countless ways of doing it.

Or astral projection, that could work too.

pannoni1
02-19-2017, 06:51 PM
All I can say is that judgement day is real, and the failure to aid the needy will always result in tragedy when you least expect it, especially after you have been used to the routine for so long. Thanks Nick/Ciro for providing what may have been the best climax in this series, and its certainly something worth getting an award for! This probably means we'll see more of April/Karai in the near term until an Ancient One or Ninja Tribunal-type assistor shows up. Super Shredder knew exactly how to make a move by knocking out, allowing for a fake retreat after fooling Splinter into seeing that he won, followed by the knockout punch.

Grade: 9.8/10

:cry:

IndigoErth
02-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Will be curious to see what they do with the next/last season. They're going to need to (or darn well should) grow up (or finishing growing up) fast for their own good and leave behind any childishness they still had room for when dad was still around. (Looking at you in particular, Mikey.) They may be quite capable, but there's surely still ways they'd feel kind of lost without him. Agree and do hope he turns up in some spirit form.

I suppose if they need a parental figure there's still April's dad, but that guy isn't good for all that much. There is Casey's dad who we've never ever met. Though my vote is an Ancient One to watch over them for a while and continuing training, but with only one season left that intends on not being so serialized... Maybe not. :ohwell: 'Course, I suppose he could be the one to introduce them to some kind of interdimensional stuff that brings them across Usagi, like how 2003 meet him at the tournament.

oldmanwinters
02-19-2017, 07:34 PM

I was surprised that the exposed weakspot didn't work out for Karai. That was brutal of her to go for the kill, but she's had the worst luck lately in fights. Ever since she lost those street fights to April (prior to developing her powers) it's been all down hill for Karai as a ninja. So I'm not ready to declare Shredder's skin invulnerable yet. Just give Leonardo a shot at it with proper motivation and old Shredhead will be eating humble pie.

And yeah, the development of the Bradford finale was curious, which makes me think maybe somebody will become a betrayer (on either side) in the season finale. You are correct that it would have been most appropriate as a Season 2 foreshadowing about Irma-Krang Subprime.

ranger_scout
02-19-2017, 08:01 PM
My heart really ached after watching this episode. :cry: I might have to watch the 1987 series tonight to help make me feel better.

Ioz
02-19-2017, 08:06 PM
I just hope they clear up the fate of Monkey Brains, Fishface, and Razhar before the show ends next season or whenever it does. I get the feeling we might see Rockwell again, but not sure if we'll see or hear anything definitive about the other two.

ssjup81
02-19-2017, 08:46 PM
I just hope they clear up the fate of Monkey Brains, Fishface, and Razhar before the show ends next season or whenever it does. I get the feeling we might see Rockwell again, but not sure if we'll see or hear anything definitive about the other two.Unless Fishface was tossed in the water offscreen and saved Rahzar, I don't think he's coming back. Leatherhead probably took him all the way to the bottom. I doubt he could've survived that and probably drowned. I couldn't see a character like Xever saving him since the two had such animosity towards one another.

IronBoomer
02-19-2017, 08:47 PM
This series needs to stop playing with my emotions. I don't know if I can take it.
Makes me wonder where they can go with the next season, but ... damn it, that was hard to watch.

:tsad:

Mini-Turtle
02-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Well I FINALLY got to watch it thanks to Redworld96 putting it on his tumblr. My god what an episode this is the first Cartoon that brought me to tears. I loved the Nod to the 1990 movie ending with Casey.

Shame on all the Cartoon sites for not having this up yet.

Putting it on HER tumblr.

MrTMNT2012
02-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Don't know if it was an effect of the super mutagen but YO...Character development for Shredder!

Can't remember the last time I saw a villain actually progress as a character, not necessarily turn good but actually develop his malicious dissonance from the world. (Maybe Zaheer from The Legend of Korra)

The fact that he no longer has any earthly attachments makes him THAT much more intimidating!

CrazyNinjaGirl
02-19-2017, 09:25 PM
I say this episode does hit the feels really hard but it is kind of ruined by the fact that this is Splinter death number 4. 1st The Invasion Thrown in drainpipe 2nd Killed by shredder before earth was destroyed 3rd was Darkest Plight. Even though 1 & 3 were fakeouts they still played the "Splinter is dead" card, so it kind of takes away from this episode. If the "Splinter is dead" card wasn't so overused I would be bawling my eyes out right now but it kind of takes away from the moment. But it is still a heartbreaking scene that hit me in the feels and is one of the darkest and saddest things I've seen on a kids cartoon.

CyberCubed
02-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Are people really being serious when they said they got emotional over Splinter dying? It's sad and all, but after seeing Splinter almost die like 3 times before in this series, seeing it happen yet again even if it was for real this time didn't have as much impact.

I was honestly more shocked when it happened in the Season 3 finale than now.

oldmanwinters
02-19-2017, 09:33 PM
Are people really being serious when they said they got emotional over Splinter dying? It's sad and all, but after seeing Splinter almost die like 3 times before in this series, seeing it happen yet again even if it was for real this time didn't have as much impact.

I was honestly more shocked when it happened in the Season 3 finale than now.

At this point, it's like the poor old master has become the "Jean Grey/Phoenix" of the franchise. I look forward to the inevitable Ghost/Spirit Splinter in Season 5.

IndigoErth
02-19-2017, 09:58 PM
Those other times were a little emotional, but weren't as bad since we knew it was unlikely to be permanent. Different this time since we know it's for real... (Doesn't help either if you've already lost a parent too soon yourself and can sympathize with the Turtles.)

CrazyNinjaGirl
02-19-2017, 10:01 PM
So did we actually kill him or are we gonna find some magic crud or Renet.

CyberCubed
02-19-2017, 10:04 PM
I don't know what happens in the next episode, but I assume he's gone for good this time.

But yeah, get ready for ghost Splinter ala Yoda and Obi-wan in Season 5. They'll probably do what Movie 1 did too and he'll appear in a campfire.

ABrown
02-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Unbelievable Nickelodeon. This is seriously the way that they perceive the TMNT franchise: as having been created by Fred Wolf. Having the battle on top of the "Wolf" building.

I do have to admit though, this was probably the best produced episode of the entire series. Before this episode I was ready to be upset that they actually went through with killing Splinter AGAIN. But the episode made it work.

IndigoErth
02-19-2017, 10:28 PM
and he'll appear in a campfire.
Already did it.

But if he can do that then I guess the ghost Splinter isn't too far out of question. Esp as they've already established the existence of ghosts with that one that was trapped in that dagger (and Donnie chucked into the ocean).

CyberCubed
02-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Unbelievable Nickelodeon. This is seriously the way that they perceive the TMNT franchise: as having been created by Fred Wolf. Having the battle on top of the "Wolf" building.

LOL, what? The "Wolf" on the building has nothing to do with Fred Wolf. Stop reaching for things.

If anything the building is more of a nod to the rooftop battles in Mirage #1 and the 1990 movie when they fought Shredder.

Coola Yagami
02-19-2017, 10:31 PM
I still say blowing up the planet that other time took away any credibility of splinter dying for good.

And though the WOLF building is a callback to the FW series, remember it's also the first place they fought the Shredder in season 1.

victory_angel
02-19-2017, 10:46 PM
I don't know what happens in the next episode, but I assume he's gone for good this time.

But yeah, get ready for ghost Splinter ala Yoda and Obi-wan in Season 5. They'll probably do what Movie 1 did too and he'll appear in a campfire.

They already did Splinter appearing in the camp fire ala movie 1. It was done during the vision quest episode.

TurtleTitan97
02-19-2017, 11:12 PM
Geez, talk about brutal. :(

Ashwolf
02-19-2017, 11:14 PM
Definitely my favorite episode of this version of the show, my only complaint is that splinter wasn't killed off sooner....not saying that I hate splinter, I have nothing against him as a character, just that I've been waiting/hoping for a version that completely goes off their experiences and trials on their own

The episode itself was still nicely done and like the amount of emotion in it even though it didn't feel as emotional as it could've been

I still say blowing up the planet that other time took away any credibility of splinter dying for good.

And though the WOLF building is a callback to the FW series, remember it's also the first place they fought the Shredder in season 1.

I actually consider it of how super shredder is acting like a lone wolf with how he cut all his "earthly" ties than as a nod to the 80s show

myconius
02-19-2017, 11:18 PM
that poll needs to add the selection option- "Splinter's dead? here we go again!" :roll:

victory_angel
02-19-2017, 11:21 PM
that poll needs to add the selection option- "Splinter's dead? here we go again!" :roll:

Watch next week's episode and you will see why I didn't add that option.

MrTMNT2012
02-20-2017, 12:31 AM

There's no Fugitoid tho soooo....

That'll be like complaining if Buckbeak died after Prisoner of Azkaban when all the Time Turners are destroyed.

Splinter dead for real this time. :tcry:

Hero
02-20-2017, 12:52 AM
Yeah i've mentioned it.

Yeah I was surprised that nothing got cut of this episode. In Tale of Tiger Claw they cut bits out of Splinter's Drunken Master Lesson but didn't cut out Tiger Claws arm getting cut off. Our censors are strange :-?

Strange indeed.

I'm chuffed the finale is airing is a little earlier here. I think it has been since "Parasitica" in season 1 an episode has aired in the UK first.

victory_angel
02-20-2017, 03:12 AM
I also broke down in tears after I heard Mikey call Splinter, Papa. Though admittedly I have always thought that Donnie would use Papa as a way of calling Splinter father while Mikey I could see using "daddy".
Donnie is the only turtle who has not referred to Splinter as his father as of yet. It's always been Sensei or Master. Perhaps there will be a moment coming up in the new season though I don't see him using the father honorific. Perhaps he might use Tousan instead.

DisKosh
02-20-2017, 04:21 AM
I won't lie, at Splinter's death, I was actually sobbing. Clutching my Mikey plushie and sobbing.

I'd need to watch it again to be sure, but my immediate reaction is that it's an amazing episode.

Mikey calling him 'papa' just got me right in the feels. :cry:

ToTheNines
02-20-2017, 04:29 AM

I do have to admit though, this was probably the best produced episode of the entire series. Before this episode I was ready to be upset that they actually went through with killing Splinter AGAIN. But the episode made it work.

LOL, what? The "Wolf" on the building has nothing to do with Fred Wolf. Stop reaching for things.

If anything the building is more of a nod to the rooftop battles in Mirage #1 and the 1990 movie when they fought Shredder.

You're both fools.

myconius
02-20-2017, 04:38 AM
Watch next week's episode and you will see why I didn't add that option.

i've already mourned Splinter's death at the end of season 3.

this time that he died now just felt like old hat to me.

and in 'Earth's Last Stand' when Shredder comes in for the kill, how is it Splinter is able to stop him this time but not last time?
it's not like Leo left him a note warning him to be careful.

i still enjoy the show, but many elements of the writing are just handled poorly.
if they are going to include grown up themes, they need to rethink things better.

it just feels like cheap audience manipulation to me.

drgon78
02-20-2017, 06:20 AM
I can't wait to see the season finally.

victory_angel
02-20-2017, 08:03 AM
i've already mourned Splinter's death at the end of season 3.

this time that he died now just felt like old hat to me.

and in 'Earth's Last Stand' when Shredder comes in for the kill, how is it Splinter is able to stop him this time but not last time?
it's not like Leo left him a note warning him to be careful.

i still enjoy the show, but many elements of the writing are just handled poorly.
if they are going to include grown up themes, they need to rethink things better.

it just feels like cheap audience manipulation to me.

There is a brief moment in trans dimensional turtles where Splinter calls Leo to the Dojo to explain what is going on. Here he noted that Leonardo looks rather sad. Leo then starts to warn Splinter about what would happen in a mater of months, but is cut off by Donnie screaming like a girl. While Leo was unable to warn his sensei about his demise, the encounter still would have keyed Splinter in that something happens in the future.

Then later in the final battle Leo yells out when Splinter is about to be killed and that helps prevent his death.

This time they are implying that his death is permanent.

Chopperface
02-20-2017, 10:08 AM
So Bradford is dead? I don't see him coming back, not with the camera showing him struggling helplessly as Leatherhead took him down to the bottom of the river, Leatherhead returning without him, and Mikey going "Dudes we beat him!" Seems like too much in the way of establishing shots for him to have survived this one.

The show has really kinda tossed Bradford to the wayside since Season 1 anyway. What a waste of Clancy Brown. I'm only slightly surprised they paid so little attention to killing him off, because Foot Clan members besides Shredder, Karai, and Tigerclaw have rarely had that much focus or development to begin with. And he's become a joke in combat anyway, suffering from old toy syndrome or something. It was embarrassing that he would go down in one hit from Leo in The Invasion among other instances. But man. Bradford has been my favorite original character of the show besides Tigerclaw, and his Rahzar design is easily my favorite of this entire series. Sad to see him go.

As for Splinter, yeah, it loses some of its' gravitas this time because we've had like three "deaths" before now. Being thrown down the drain in The Invasion, literally dying then coming back with the Triceratons, and the whole "we die together" thing that I didn't buy for one second. Was it still sad to see it go down this time? For sure. The Turtles carrying him off, Mikey calling him "Papa". And yeah, he's certainly dead, I don't think you can survive being stabbed and then thrown off of a high building.

The 90's movie reference was great and chilling. And like before, Shredder survived this crushing, though at least this Shredder is a powerful mutant.

Technogeek29
02-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Hey people who live in the UK did they keep the slight trail of blood as Splinter fell from the building?

Vicky82
02-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Hey people who live in the UK did they keep the slight trail of blood as Splinter fell from the building?

Blood?????

I didn't see any blood in both versions :-?

So Bradford is dead? I don't see him coming back, not with the camera showing him struggling helplessly as Leatherhead took him down to the bottom of the river, Leatherhead returning without him, and Mikey going "Dudes we beat him!" Seems like too much in the way of establishing shots for him to have survived this one.

The show has really kinda tossed Bradford to the wayside since Season 1 anyway. What a waste of Clancy Brown. I'm only slightly surprised they paid so little attention to killing him off, because Foot Clan members besides Shredder, Karai, and Tigerclaw have rarely had that much focus or development to begin with. And he's become a joke in combat anyway, suffering from old toy syndrome or something. It was embarrassing that he would go down in one hit from Leo in The Invasion among other instances. But man. Bradford has been my favorite original character of the show besides Tigerclaw, and his Rahzar design is easily my favorite of this entire series. Sad to see him go.

If Rahzar can survive being run over by a train, he will survive drowning, if we don't see him in season 5 , then we know he's dead.

ABrown
02-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Agreed about that, however...

You can't possibly believe that. You're telling me that it's just a coincidence that the name is the building just happens to have a name that's connected to the series in which Nickelodeon clearly has an infatuation with?

"The roof top of the building in which they first fought Shredder". That's the way that Nickelodeon looks at TMNT. That they first fought Shredder in the Fred Wolf series. I mean obviously they know that's not he case, but as far as they're concerned, it might as well be.

THGhost
02-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Super Shredder fighting the holographic Foot soldiers/Karai reminded me of the deleted scene from the 1990 movie where Shredder fights his own Foot soldiers.
I can't remember the last time we saw Fishface. Nice to finally see him again.
Don't die Splinter, not again :(
Mighty Mutanimals are back yo!
Super Shredder really need to cover up his exposed heart somehow.
Hmmm, or not...
Oh Bebop, you are the least be intimidating.
That Age of Ultron/X-Men '92-style "splash page" was awesome! Can somebody make a gif of that please?
Some great fight scenes in this one.
The neon sign of the building that Super Shredder fights Raph, Splinter, April, Casey and Slash on says "WOLF". Nice touch there, Nick.
DAMN YOU, SUPER SHREDDER!
Christ. Raph and April's expressions were haunting...
Shredder in the garbage compactor just like the 1990 movie. Nice!
"Papa..." Damn Nick, you dark and nasty! :tcry:
Oh course the MF's alive!

Good episode despite what just happened. Liking the 1990 movie references.

Oh come on, Cubed. Even you aren't that naïve. :lol:

Mikey calling him 'papa' just got me right in the feels. :cry:

Yeah, that one got me. :cry:

I'm sure he'll be fine.

ssjup81
02-20-2017, 02:29 PM

I do have to admit though, this was probably the best produced episode of the entire series. Before this episode I was ready to be upset that they actually went through with killing Splinter AGAIN. But the episode made it work.I thought they were at the Wolf building because that's where they fought and encountered Shredder the first time back in the Gauntlet. I figured it was for irony.If Rahzar can survive being run over by a train, he will survive drowning, if we don't see him in season 5 , then we know he's dead.i really doubt he survived that. Too deep. He may be strong enough to take hits, but I doubt he could swim fast enough from the bottom of the east river (?) to survive that, especially since it was a surprise attack. He probably didn't have time to ready himself before hitting the water. Then again, if it is indeed the east river, then it's a miracle Leatherhead survived. :-P

Technogeek29
02-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Blood?????

I didn't see any blood in both versions :-?

If Rahzar can survive being run over by a train, he will survive drowning, if we don't see him in season 5 , then we know he's dead.

Maybe my imagination then but as he fell I could've sworn I saw a slight trail?

Toadtrooper
02-20-2017, 07:15 PM
Super Shredder kind of ruins it. At the end of Season 3, Saki kills Splinter out of spiteful malice. But then that's reversed and Saki is left inexplicably on life support by a fairly tame battle with Splinter.

Pump him full of mutagen, and Shredder can be replaced with any of the big bad unbeatable mutants. There's really no difference between Super Shredder and Snakeweed by this point.

Season 3 was a good Villainous Breakdown. The world is ending, but I still need this victory. It made the space arc worth it just to deny Saki his selfishness.

But Season 4 was a bad breakdown. I know Ciro's trying to Throwback Thursday literally anything else in the Turtleverse and beyond, but it would have been a lot more satisfying if Oroku Saki had been fully cognizant of the irredeemable monster he had become, as opposed to just being a Monster of the Week rampage with a notable fatality.

In the process, Ciro somehow succeeding in making a Super Shredder that's worse than the one that had to follow Vanilla Ice. And Secret of the Ooze set a terribly low bar to begin with...

victory_angel
02-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Super Shredder kind of ruins it. At the end of Season 3, Saki kills Splinter out of spiteful malice. But then that's reversed and Saki is left inexplicably on life support by a fairly tame battle with Splinter.

Shredder was hit with numerous hits to vital pressure points. That was why he was laid up.

Dust
02-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Pump him full of mutagen, and Shredder can be replaced with any of the big bad unbeatable mutants. There's really no difference between Super Shredder and Snakeweed by this point.

Season 3 was a good Villainous Breakdown. The world is ending, but I still need this victory. It made the space arc worth it just to deny Saki his selfishness.

But Season 4 was a bad breakdown. I know Ciro's trying to Throwback Thursday literally anything else in the Turtleverse and beyond, but it would have been a lot more satisfying if Oroku Saki had been fully cognizant of the irredeemable monster he had become, as opposed to just being a Monster of the Week rampage with a notable fatality.

In the process, Ciro somehow succeeding in making a Super Shredder that's worse than the one that had to follow Vanilla Ice. And Secret of the Ooze set a terribly low bar to begin with...

Super Shredder is the embodiment of Oroku Saki's monstrous inside, now reflected in his own being. He's still Oroku Saki, he's still the Shredder, him killing Splinter has the same emotional attachment as either regular Shredder or Super Shredder, just now Saki has become a monster inside and outside. He became emotionally detached from Karai, now nothing is in his heart but pure malice and anger to all those that have stopped him from achieving his goal: killing Hamato Yoshi and the Turtles. I'm pretty convinced Saki was aware that he was a monster, but he just doesn't care anymore, too long has Hamato Yoshi lived. If Shredder realised what he'd done and stopped, after taunting Splinter with Karai, and with multiple attempts on his life, then that would be seen as a cop out. The only glimmer of hope that he had towards redemption was Karai, but that died, after a long while yes, but still.

Also, how is this Super Shredder worse than the SOTO one? Here, he actually wins fights, he's actually powerful, he's actually a SUPER Shredder.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
02-20-2017, 11:37 PM
My thoughts on this episode
https://youtu.be/l7zvUGKvl5s

ssjup81
02-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Okay, I am finally ready to give my thoughts on this episode, which includes what I liked, disliked, etc.

So, this I’d known about since I stepped foot into the Korean dread. My curiosity got the better of me. So, bottom line, I knew that Splinter was going to die, but I didn’t know exactly how. I only knew the “why”…Shredder is nuts. See kids, this is why heroin laced with liquid steroid solution is bad. “Drugs are bad mmmkay.” lol Kudos to April for nipping her crystal meth addiction in the bud. :-P

The fight scenes in this episode were pretty good. I like how intense they all were. I still have this feeling that Rahzar was killed off. If the show have no qualms over killing out a supporting character that was a good guy, nothing wrong with them killing out an actual enemy, right? Like I mentioned earlier, he was caught offguard and was dragged to the bottom of the river, sea, or whatever.

I liked how everyone was in this episode, especially Casey. Last episode was good for him too. He definitely felt like his season 2 self, like when he was first brought into the series.

Now, for the random. The giant chicken thing that the kid morphed into that looked like Carter’s stupid-looking (imo) mutation totally caught me off guard. I was literally laughing my head off saying, “No they didn’t just go there. Carter reference? Really?” I then thought, “This is why I like this show. I love how they have throwbacks and nods to previous things, not just stuff that’s part of the Turtles franchise, but just stuff in general.” Also, that part when Casey landed by the garbage truck, I was saying, “Okay Nick, you have it, you better fricken use it!” They delivered. Casey’s “Oops” was the icing on the cake, but the fact that in the movie it was more comedic and here, Casey was legit upset and cold with it was…kind of surprising…yet not. He killed Splinter, Casey was angry about it. It felt almost passive aggressive like. It was like, “Sorry, not sorry.”

It was nice seeing the Mutanimals again and it was finally nice to see where Karai and Shinigami had been hiding out. I will say this…I’ve never seen the Bronx so quiet and empty. lol Shredder busting in there saying that Karai will die in the same way as her mother was super harsh. The fact that Shredder now is so strong that you can’t even penetrate his heart, I can’t help but wonder how the turtles are going to take him out. If only Shredder had said that when he was in stage 1 of his mutation, she would’ve taken him out easily. I wonder how much time is going to pass between this episode and the next episode. Oh when Karai was underneath the rubble, I was wondering, “Will Leo be the one to save her?” since it’s an onrunning gag. Hm, think next ep they’ll randomly have Karai, when finally fully coming to, say something like, “If you’d come like 5 minutes earlier…” to try and lighten a heavy mood before slipping back into reality. Oh man, how is Karai going to take Splinter’s death. Man, I could see her wanting to really go after Shredder. Well, that aside, good thing Leo was able to do CPR…through that metal vest of hers. lol

The heartbreaking part was when Leo screamed. As I said before, I knew Splinter was going to get killed, but nothing else other than that, but the cut seemed a bit odd there. Seems that scream should’ve come after April and Raph’s scene because from that angle, I doubt Leo would’ve been able to see the stabbing, even with the scope, unless he was seeing Shredder climbing back up…but I doubt he would’ve shouted “no” with such anguish.

Meh, guess it doesn’t matter. That entire part was heart-wrenching. I’m not the top to cry at stuff that’s fictional…okay, I’m not the type to cry much at all, and it wasn’t the actual killing that almost got to me…it was everyone’s reactions to it, especially Mikey’s “Papa”. I almost cried. Wow. Even though I wanted Splinter killed out, I just wasn’t expecting it to be that intense.

Okay, not much else I can say that others haven’t….except that I now know why they let Splinter get drunk last episode. I t was a last hurrah. lol

Now what I had problem with...the pacing slightly. It was too fast-paced. It felt like parts were missing from the episode. It’s the same complaint I had with Tale of the Yokai, only what felt missing there ruined the episode for me…that wasn’t the case here. They had so many characters in this episode, they didn’t really focus on what their whereabouts were. For example, Rockwell and Fishface were left unaccounted for.

So yeah, can’t wait for season 5. I wonder if this means the characters will force mature…but I mainly mean this for characters like Mikey and Casey. They have their moments and imo, Mikey is loads better than he was back in season 1. Seems for this season, they toned Mikey down quite a bit and have gradually over time. I know I’m weird, but out of the four, I’m the most curious about Mikey after all this. Okay I’ll stop rambling. This post has gone on long enough.

ssjup81
02-20-2017, 11:58 PM
Super Shredder is the embodiment of Oroku Saki's monstrous inside, now reflected in his own being. He's still Oroku Saki, he's still the Shredder, him killing Splinter has the same emotional attachment as either regular Shredder or Super Shredder, just now Saki has become a monster inside and outside. He became emotionally detached from Karai, now nothing is in his heart but pure malice and anger to all those that have stopped him from achieving his goal: killing Hamato Yoshi and the Turtles. I'm pretty convinced Saki was aware that he was a monster, but he just doesn't care anymore, too long has Hamato Yoshi lived. If Shredder realised what he'd done and stopped, after taunting Splinter with Karai, and with multiple attempts on his life, then that would be seen as a cop out. The only glimmer of hope that he had towards redemption was Karai, but that died, after a long while yes, but still.

Also, how is this Super Shredder worse than the SOTO one? Here, he actually wins fights, he's actually powerful, he's actually a SUPER Shredder.Movie 2 Super Shredder was pathetic. Done in by a darn pier! All we got was "Hulk smash!" Playing games like Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist, at the time, and then facing Super Shredder, you were expecting something like that in the movie or something. At least Nick is doing cray-cray Shredder as Super Shredder some justice. I so agree with all you said here regarding the character.

Hm, as an easter egg, they should have Super Shredder fighting the turtles on a pier or dock...just for irony's sake. lol

CyberCubed
02-21-2017, 01:04 AM
Movie 2 Super Shredder had a lot of boards and "all that stuff on top" according to Raphael. I wouldn't be surprised if it broke his neck.

THGhost
02-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Maybe my imagination then but as he fell I could've sworn I saw a slight trail?

Nope, nothing.

MartiusR
02-21-2017, 02:34 PM
I haven't read the whole thread (and don't know if somebody already mentioned it) but for me there was one scene, which spoiled this episode and in effect Splinter's death didn't made impression on me. The one after Shredder's attack on Mighty Mutanimals' hideout, when Splinter decided to split people on two (a bit too random BTW) teams and answered on (completely senseful) Leo's doubts with lame (in this context) phrase about "deciding with heart". Was he DELIBERATLY asking for death? C'mon, wise sensei, you even had your premonitions (sort of)!

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Splinter's death ("permanent"), I feel that it's really good idea to show that even the best can fail, but not in such stupid way. And taking with him some random guys, amongst them - Casey Jones. CASEY. :ohwell:

I don't want to tell that it episode was bad - I like overall idea, that we're getting to the end in very intense way, and while I haven't seen yet the last episode, I'm guessing that I know where it's going (yes, I know, quite obvious at this point) and I feel that it's the "right way". Not to mention about "small pleasures", like this reference to first TMNT movie (I didn't feel that it was forced or too intrusive).

But that one stupid moment. Ugh.

(No offense, I know that many of you really enjoyed this episode, and that's cool, I just can't "ignore" this one scene)

BubblyShell22
02-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Splinter did have premonitions about his death and I think he was having them again which is why he wasn't sleeping well and was meditating a lot. He knew that he was going to die and he was trying to prepare Leo and the others for that though Leo didn't want to believe that it would happen. His advice about following your heart was sound advice because sometimes you have to make decisions that may not seem wise but are the right ones. He split them up because he didn't know it was a trap the way Leo found out about it so it's not his fault that his sons weren't there to prevent his death. He probably knew they wouldn't be able to stop it and that's why it happened the way it did.

What are you talking about in reference to random guys? He had April, Raph, Casey, and Slash. None of these characters are random and I think he knows by now that Casey is a good fighter and would help them out which he did.

It's fine if you feel differently about that, but this is the way I see it. Splinter knew about his death and he decided not to tell his sons outright because he figured that he was ready to go and that they had to move on and grow without him. I feel it's a very realistic thing as we all know that we will eventually lose our parents one day and I like that Nick tackled this very important issue and ran with it.

Vicky82
02-21-2017, 03:49 PM
I did wonder if they should have had Casey in Leo's group and have either Donnie or Mikey with Splinter, so it balanced out the groups more. Casey still would of done the Garbage truck.

But now I wonder if Splinter had a premonition of seeing a Turtle badly injured/death as well as his death.

So that Turtle could of been either Mikey, Donnie or Leo, that's why he sent them to fight the Henchman.

ssjup81
02-21-2017, 04:06 PM
I haven't read the whole thread (and don't know if somebody already mentioned it) but for me there was one scene, which spoiled this episode and in effect Splinter's death didn't made impression on me. The one after Shredder's attack on Mighty Mutanimals' hideout, when Splinter decided to split people on two (a bit too random BTW) teams and answered on (completely senseful) Leo's doubts with lame (in this context) phrase about "deciding with heart". Was he DELIBERATLY asking for death? C'mon, wise sensei, you even had your premonitions (sort of)!

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Splinter's death ("permanent"), I feel that it's really good idea to show that even the best can fail, but not in such stupid way. And taking with him some random guys, amongst them - Casey Jones. CASEY. :ohwell:

I don't want to tell that it episode was bad - I like overall idea, that we're getting to the end in very intense way, and while I haven't seen yet the last episode, I'm guessing that I know where it's going (yes, I know, quite obvious at this point) and I feel that it's the "right way". Not to mention about "small pleasures", like this reference to first TMNT movie (I didn't feel that it was forced or too intrusive).

But that one stupid moment. Ugh.

(No offense, I know that many of you really enjoyed this episode, and that's cool, I just can't "ignore" this one scene)A part of me was wondering about this too (why Casey and April), but then my mind jumped to TMNT Legends. The most characters you can have are five.

Shredder in the game is silver class. Splinter as well. So an even match. Everyone else there would be neutral, except Raph. He's red class and silver is strong against red, but given Raph's ability to raise attack power and stuff he'd still be a good match for him.

Edit: Thinking about it, if Super Shredder was in the game, he'd probably be red class.

I know, thinking too much into it. From a show perspective, I figured he kept April around for the psychic thing and Casey is good with his projectiles and stuff. Good support. He, Raph, and Slash could do the close combat while those two hung back. Maybe that's why he wanted them along, and to keep an eye on them. Maybe he had a premonition or something.

Icebot
02-21-2017, 05:15 PM
Whoa, the end of the episode was sadder than Same As It Never Was!

And did that yellow guy on the Chris Bradford show look like Carter?

BubblyShell22
02-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Yep. He even did the mutation just like Carter's too.

Prototype
02-21-2017, 07:50 PM
At the end - just before Shredder stabs Splinter in the back - April looks all exhausted while embracing Raph, her smile and after-sex-hair completes the fantasy.

But seriously, the lair won't feel the same without Splinter and his wisdom.

ssjup81
02-21-2017, 08:00 PM
I still can’t help but wonder how this will affect Leo. Of course all of them will be very sad and upset and will probably seek vengeance…sort of. Shredder’s gotta go. He’s a threat to himself and others. But anyway, what I meant by Leo here is that he’s the new leader and head of the family. How will the other three treat him? Will they be accepting of that or will we get pretty much a season 1/early season 2 situation? How will Leo take on this new responsibility? I guess I’m mostly curious about the dynamic between the four.

Allio
02-22-2017, 07:19 AM
You know, had this not been the fourth time they have done this, I probably would have been more invested in Splinter's demise

MrTMNT2012
02-22-2017, 07:44 AM
You know, had this not been the fourth time they have done this, I probably would have been more invested in Splinter's demise

They didn't. It was once during the Season 3 finale which no one cares about.

Don't get this logic of how characters being in danger diminishes their deaths...

BubblyShell22
02-22-2017, 07:54 AM
I still can’t help but wonder how this will affect Leo. Of course all of them will be very sad and upset and will probably seek vengeance…sort of. Shredder’s gotta go. He’s a threat to himself and others. But anyway, what I meant by Leo here is that he’s the new leader and head of the family. How will the other three treat him? Will they be accepting of that or will we get pretty much a season 1/early season 2 situation? How will Leo take on this new responsibility? I guess I’m mostly curious about the dynamic between the four.

Yes, I'm curious about this too and how the others will treat him. I know he will take this hard and feel like he can't do it because he's not ready for it. I just hope the others don't treat him badly over this.

THGhost
02-22-2017, 08:27 AM
I did wonder if they should have had Casey in Leo's group and have either Donnie or Mikey with Splinter, so it balanced out the groups more. Casey still would of done the Garbage truck.

But now I wonder if Splinter had a premonition of seeing a Turtle badly injured/death as well as his death.

So that Turtle could of been either Mikey, Donnie or Leo, that's why he sent them to fight the Henchman.

I wondered that. I think you might be onto something there.

The Happy One
02-22-2017, 09:37 AM
In all reality, Splinter has wanted to die since day one

victory_angel
02-22-2017, 10:02 AM
In all reality, Splinter has wanted to die since day one

I don't think he wanted to die, it's more that he was preparing his sons for a day he will no longer be there.

Vicky82
02-22-2017, 10:07 AM
There is one way of bringing back Splinter

In the first episode of Season 5, one of the Turtles wake up, he goes to the bathroom, and hears that the someone is in the shower and assumes it's one of his brothers but it turns out that it's actually Splinter.

He's shocked and it turns out the 2nd half of season 4 is a dream.

:lol::P

Vegita-San
02-22-2017, 12:06 PM
with this show, i wouldn't put it past them saying 'in the next episode, splinter recovers from near mortal injuries'...

when you threaten to kill him off at least 4 times, when you finally pull the trigger, the surprise is gone.

I'm just going to binge watch season 5. this show is too goofy for me.
brandon isn't that great of a writer or story editor if he doesn't realize the suspense will be gone if you fake out the death 3 times before that.

CyberCubed
02-22-2017, 12:21 PM
with this show, i wouldn't put it past them saying 'in the next episode, splinter recovers from near mortal injuries'...

brandon isn't that great of a writer or story editor if he doesn't realize the suspense will be gone if you fake out the death 3 times before that.

:lol:

The show is goofy for you because a character dies? I'd love to know what kind of logic this is.

ABrown
02-22-2017, 12:24 PM

when you threaten to kill him off at least 4 times, when you finally pull the trigger, the surprise is gone.

Yeah, you're not wrong.

victory_angel
02-22-2017, 12:37 PM

You actually might be surprised to find they don't. Not to give spoilers but there is a moment at the farm house

ssjup81
02-22-2017, 02:23 PM

They've only done it once...

neatoman
02-22-2017, 02:29 PM
For whatever reason it didn't strike me before but how was Shredder able to enunciate with no lips and melted metal in front of his mouth?

oonjTMDupZc

PApagreg
02-22-2017, 11:09 PM
They didn't. It was once during the Season 3 finale which no one cares about.

Don't get this logic of how characters being in danger diminishes their deaths...
Its not really the fact that they were in danger but its more along the lines that the 3 fakeouts we experienced sort of desensitized us through the whole deal.

THGhost
02-23-2017, 12:52 PM
There is one way of bringing back Splinter

In the first episode of Season 5, one of the Turtles wake up, he goes to the bathroom, and hears that the someone is in the shower and assumes it's one of his brothers but it turns out that it's actually Splinter.

He's shocked and it turns out the 2nd half of season 4 is a dream.

:lol::P

Didn't a show like Dallas do that back in the day? :lol:

Vicky82
02-23-2017, 01:00 PM

Yeah the famous shower scene from Dallas. The Simpsons also referenced it in the episode Who Shot Mr Burns Part 2.

THGhost
02-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Yeah the famous shower scene from Dallas. The Simpsons also referenced it in the episode Who Shot Mr Burns Part 2.

I still can't believe they got away with that. I think they even recast someone and then recast them back. :P

matteso586
02-23-2017, 01:35 PM
When Super Shredder is able to shoot spikes, it reminds me of Michael Bay's Shredder.

THGhost
02-23-2017, 03:06 PM
When Super Shredder is able to shoot spikes, it reminds me of Michael Bay's Shredder.

His sheer size and spikes sticking out of him reminds me of Michael Bay's Shredder. :P

Bauer536
02-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Haven't been on here for awhile, but...Wow. I spoiled myself for this, but when I got to see the whole episode, my stomach went up. So emotional. :tcry:

The first time Splinter has died on a TMNT cartoon. That takes guts.

Anyway, I don't see the cheapening. They knew what they wanted to do. They fooled us with Splinter getting murdered in Season 3 with the Earth's destruction. You knew the turtles would save their planet and their father. By then, there was relief. Now, it's permanent. The Earth is okay, the Mutanimals are fine, Karai is in the hospital,...but wow. That was heavy.

I couldn't stop watching that death scene. I just thought it was well-done. You don't see him get stabbed, but that black screen and huge slash represents the shocking kill. I especially was mesmerized while watching Splinter's slo-mo fall. The turtles' reactions with their eyes bugging out, including Raph's, are still pictures in my head I can't erase.

Also, I'm impressed now that the creators got to have all the turtles cry. You don't know how long I've waited for Leo to cry on this show. I was expecting tears in their eyes, but their head-tilting and soft sobbing was good enough. Those memories juxtaposed through their mourning also gave it a nice, albeit heartbreaking, touch. But that shot of the turtles crying around Splinter was the knife through the heart. This was a nicely paced death scene for this series. In Season 3, they have no time to grieve, considering the Earth is in danger and Fugitoid turns back time. Now, they witness, they weep, and they walk. The music, as the turtles were carrying their sensei's body, sounded similar to Mozart's "Lacrymosa." Well, the episode is called "Requiem," just like his final compositional masterpiece. After the end, all I could think about was Splinter being buried, turtles standing in the rain, and hearing Mozart somewhere in the background.

Plus, I am so happy to hear that after all this time, Splinter reveals that he did choose Leo as the leader because he believed in him. I knew it. I knew by the show's end, he would say it. Now, I'm waiting for Leo to say that Splinter was his real hero. He probably will.

Still, April's powers annoy me. At least we're heading to the final conflict...At least, for now.

Mona_Lisa
02-24-2017, 10:34 PM
This episode was so awesome, it was the first time in IDK when I watched the same episode immediately after finishing it!
I couldn't cry because, my kids were in the room and I didn't want them to take it to serious.... (who wants a crying 6 & 7 year old) But I cried on the inside and made a strange habit of talking to my tv, I hate it when others do that! LOL!

I know right? It was so sad!

In addition to the obvious heaviness of the episode.. I can't believe they actually made a Carter reference.
When I saw that I kept thinking, I know that mutation its a reference to "Something". I never remembered Carter until The Black Nerd mentioned it!
Mental block I guess!

I squealed too, My girls were like "what mom"? Lol...

Not somber, subtle.

It's really hard to describe since I'm not a voice director but the way Josh Peck said it kinda felt out of place.

Like you have Splinter dead in the corner and Casey just really decides to EMPHASISE that 'OOOPS' in a moody teenager kind of way...

In that moment, Casey should have been so awestruck that he says it almost under his breath!

He hated Shredder and he was *pissed*. I think it was perfectly spoken with malice.

Wow. Just wow. Splinter is dead!?!?! Did Leatherhead drown Rahzaar?
I hope so, last ep. of Chris Bradford cartoon = Rahzaars death. Talk about foreshadowing!

I really felt sorry For Raph in this ep. (since he was the only turtle on the rooftop)
I wonder if he will blame himself...
I wonder if he will have a deep internal conflict...
I wonder if he will lose it?
I wonder if I am just fangirling and wanting a great big Raph centric ark?
~Probably!

Is next season the last? I never found any confirmation but remember some of you speculated it would be...

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-26-2017, 05:16 AM

Was a half Dallas season an entire dream?

ssjup81
02-26-2017, 05:32 AM
Was a half Dallas season an entire dream?Yep, hence my offhanded comment a while back about Leo being in a coma and dreaming everything. The entire season was written off as a dream even though it wasn't originally intended to be.

asfaloth12
02-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Well, that episode broke my heart into a few million pieces. Can't believe I came close to crying during a Ninja Turtles cartoon. First when I watched the Korean version, and now in the original English.

The death scene was done very well. Feel horrible for the turtles, especially poor Raph, being up there on the rooftop when it happened :tcry:

And Mikey! :cry:

I thought Seth Green did an awesome job during this episode. To be fair, all of the voice actors were great, though.

ToTheNines
02-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Yes, Seth killed it. He's now on par with Jason Biggs, in my mind.

Donny's computer84
02-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Strong episode:teek:

Klunk1234
02-27-2017, 09:25 PM
Very dramatic episode. I didn't cry, but I was in complete shock; speechless. Seeing the boys crying and Mikey saying Papa to Master Splinter was heartbreaking. :o:( Not for little kids.

DisKosh
02-27-2017, 09:40 PM
I feel sad every time I look at my profile picture.

TigerClaw
02-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Finally watched this episode, It was pretty good, lots of action, and pretty emotional at the end.

Plus TigerClaw's new hand allows for all kinds of things, like an hand Canon.

MartiusR
03-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Splinter did have premonitions about his death and I think he was having them again which is why he wasn't sleeping well and was meditating a lot. He knew that he was going to die and he was trying to prepare Leo and the others for that though Leo didn't want to believe that it would happen. His advice about following your heart was sound advice because sometimes you have to make decisions that may not seem wise but are the right ones. He split them up because he didn't know it was a trap the way Leo found out about it so it's not his fault that his sons weren't there to prevent his death. He probably knew they wouldn't be able to stop it and that's why it happened the way it did.

What are you talking about in reference to random guys? He had April, Raph, Casey, and Slash. None of these characters are random and I think he knows by now that Casey is a good fighter and would help them out which he did.

It's fine if you feel differently about that, but this is the way I see it. Splinter knew about his death and he decided not to tell his sons outright because he figured that he was ready to go and that they had to move on and grow without him. I feel it's a very realistic thing as we all know that we will eventually lose our parents one day and I like that Nick tackled this very important issue and ran with it.

Sorry for late reply. Finally I've found some time to visit Technodrome :)

Well, I admit that I didn't use too accurate term - rather than "random guys" I should say about "random choice". Turtles are obviously "the best" when they're fighting together, and yet they were splitted. Secondly - even if Splinter would decide to split with turtles, he should rather take both "brawlers" (Leatherhead + Slash), as "distraction" for Super Shredder's strength (not to mention that Leatherhead and Slash were in the same group, which would also make sense). And taking Casey Jones, who is obviously the weakest amongst all of them (no skills, no strength, no "special abilities")... Well, that was especially stupid.

What you've written about "preparing" turtles for losing Splinter (and living without him) definitelly make sense. But what I didn't like in this aspect of episode is the feeling of carelessness - decisions which don't make sense both in "logical' and "intuitive" way. I would compare it to climbing on dangerous mountain and trying to prepare other (let's say that you're the leader and have the biggest experience and skills) to deal with any obstacle (just in case, since you're aware that there is some possibiity that you will not return from this "journey"), but you're sticking with other people, don't take unnecessary risk etc. That makes sense. But what I saw, I would compare to taking part in mentioned journey, but suddenly you've decided to split up (at especially dangerous "part" of the mountain) and not take all necessary gear with you.

Sorry for a big long "description", just wanted to find something to compare to show how I'm seeing this.

Eh, on the other hand - why I'm demanding for cartoon to be perfectly logical? I know, kinda crazy ;)

Vicky82
10-24-2017, 01:10 PM
I know the episode aired like 9 months ago but this popped up on Tumblr.

Here's a scene that was cut out.

Raph goes into a rage mode after Shredder kills Splinter.

https://twitter.com/MrSheldon/status/902682679186882560

It's a shame it got cut out.

neatoman
10-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Eh, it's not really cut as much as it was never animated in the first place.

CyberCubed
10-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Looked like it was a cool scene, might have been cut for time purposes.

I do wonder if there is any completed CG scenes from any of the various 124 episodes that were cut. Would be cool if those scenes were posted online.

PApagreg
10-25-2017, 08:22 AM

You know despite me crapping on this series I gotta admit I enjoy seeing Raph man handeling super shredder(even though it doesn't make sense how Raph can over power a guy who can throw trucks around like styrofoam)

oldmanwinters
10-25-2017, 09:48 AM

Woah, yea, that was very much a Dragonball Z (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KzKwhLt-hw#t=51s) moment!

CyberCubed
10-25-2017, 02:51 PM
You know despite me crapping on this series I gotta admit I enjoy seeing Raph man handeling super shredder(even though it doesn't make sense how Raph can over power a guy who can throw trucks around like styrofoam)

The Nick show always had excellent action scenes and fight sequences.

DevilSpooky
10-25-2017, 08:42 PM

WTF, the one time that Nick Raph acts like a "Raph" and it's cut? Seriously? :tshifty:

CyberCubed
10-25-2017, 08:47 PM
He does fight Super Shredder in the follow episode where he kicks him in the head a few times.