PDA

View Full Version : Classic Planet of the Apes movies and it's impact on society

CyberCubed
02-24-2017, 12:42 PM
http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Planet-of-the-Apes-Classic-Films.jpg

Roddy McDowall and Charlton Heston iconic performances.

The famous iconic line:

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/planet-of-the-apes-movie-misquote-captioned.gif

Revelation that the ape planet is in fact Earth in the future after the world has been taken over by apes:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/05/1412547827484_wps_30_The_iconic_Lady_Liberty_i.jpg

What say you of these classic iconic movies?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Rie71YT1MWY/T6wQXDh0M3I/AAAAAAAABMY/JYlIEPKuOtg/s1600/PlanetoftheApes1.jpg

The first movie especially is a classic that everyone should watch. You owe it to yourself if you enjoy American cinema in any capacity. It damn near revolutionized the entire film industry.

Cure
02-24-2017, 12:44 PM
I like the new ones a lot and am looking forward to War for the Planet of the Apes.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-24-2017, 12:49 PM
One of my favorite Jerry Goldsmith scores!

NinjaPug
02-24-2017, 01:29 PM
Great series. My order: POTA>Escape>Conquest>Battle>Beneath

Like TSM939 said above, great scores too.

I'm glad they're bringing a character from the original (Nova) into the new series in War of the POTA.

Andrew NDB
02-24-2017, 01:50 PM
I love the classic movies. The loop they form is great. They're tonally so different. "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" is very underrated... and its ending is so ballsy.

The Burton movie was okay. I didn't love it or hate it but I've had no particular interest to ever see it again.

I liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes. A lot of heart and a decent starting point.

Dawn was pretty great. I totally believed in the world they created there.

I also enjoy how Rise and Dawn (and presumably War) work just fine in continuity with the original first two films. Rise even sets up the original, mentioning the launch of Heston's ship in it just before the virus breaks out.

CyberCubed
02-24-2017, 02:19 PM
What amazes me is how well the costumes/make-up for the apes in the classic movies still holds up today. There was no CG animation back then and no computer touch-ups, they had to rely entirely on costume design and make-up back then, and it's amazing how good it looks today. The gorilla's and chimps and the way you can still tell the actors expressions behind them is amazing. They just don't make them like this anymore.

I also have to give a shout out to the short-lived 14 episode TV series that came out in the 70's. Roddy McDowall even reprises his role as the main ape who aids the humans. It's a very underrated Planet of the Apes series and it's production values are almost as good as the main movies. It's on DVD on amazon if you want to check it out.

Andrew NDB
02-24-2017, 03:03 PM
I also have to give a shout out to the short-lived 14 episode TV series that came out in the 70's. Roddy McDowall even reprises his role as the main ape who aids the humans. It's a very underrated Planet of the Apes series and it's production values are almost as good as the main movies. It's on DVD on amazon if you want to check it out.

I've been curious about that. Apparently it doesn't work in continuity with the core movies, and not just because there are dogs in it.

THGhost
02-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Love this film, even its sequels which a lot of people just write off. The reboot series has been amazing so far too, really looking forward to War.

Great series. My order: POTA>Escape>Conquest>Battle>Beneath

Agreed.

CyberCubed
02-24-2017, 03:24 PM
I've been curious about that. Apparently it doesn't work in continuity with the core movies, and not just because there are dogs in it.

It's basically just another two human astronauts wind up in the ape timeline, they're of course immediately found and sentenced to death when the apes discover they're intelligent, and so they become fugitives along with Roddy McDowall's chimp character and so they're on the run for the whole series.

Most of it is the humans running into other human settlements and helping them with their problems as the apes govern the land. In this series all the humans can talk and basically work as slaves for the apes, but some are also treated like servants and not like savages.

It's a pretty decent series and the production values are almost as good as the movies. All the apes/costumes look great. You can read more summaries of the show online on either amazon's review section or other sites.

LeotheLateBloomer
02-24-2017, 10:27 PM
Did you make this thread only because someone said they had no interest in this series?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-24-2017, 10:34 PM
Did you make this thread only because someone said they had no interest in this series?

Either Cubed doesn't love me anymore :tsad: or he's trying to broaden my science-fiction experience...

CyberCubed
02-25-2017, 12:05 AM
Some people just need to be educated on the subject matter. There are some movies that are just essential viewing to any sci-fi fan or any self respecting movie go-er.

Cylon is great, but I would like to broaden his horizons. There are some others out there who are uncultured swine, but not him. Some people just don't appreciate the fine arts.

AT-Man
02-25-2017, 03:50 AM
I've never seen the original POTA movies, so I came to just post this:

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ic97mPViHEG5O/giphy.gif

Shark_Blade
02-25-2017, 05:09 AM
Only seen the reboot movie with Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy, Harry Potter series) in it as the villain. No interest for the classics cause it looks bad tbh..

ProactiveMan
02-25-2017, 09:12 AM
It's a madhouse! A madhouse!

sdp
02-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Like I posted on the other thread the movies are great but haven't seen them in more than ten years.
POTA- classic POTA2-mostly the same plot POTA3 - awesome POTA4-awesome POTA5-meh Remake-ok Reboot-haven't seen

Never saw the TV show but wouldn't it be able to fit pos POTA5, the apes take control of the world again but this time since it's post pota5 humans are more educated and are used as slaves instead. Sure it's a depressing ending to the franchise but hey so were the first 3 movies.

Let's not forget the cartoon Return to the Planet of the Apes.
http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/PlanetoftheApes/cartoon.gif
Also non-canon since the apes use vehicles and have modern technology...unless the cartoon takes place in the ending of the Burton remake where we see apes with vehicles and modern technology as well. Heck haven't seen the reboot films but maybe they could fit in Burton's ape movie in there. Hell, the movies deal with time travel and splitting timelines, everything can be canon.
Now this image is appropriate:
EVERYTHING IS CANON
https://media.giphy.com/media/Ic97mPViHEG5O/giphy.gif

Only seen the reboot movie with Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy, Harry Potter series) in it as the villain. No interest for the classics cause it looks bad tbh..

Looks bad or looks old?
I thought the same and only watched them one day I was bored and ended up liking them.
The movies are great.

CyberCubed
02-25-2017, 11:57 AM

Watch the very first one at least. It's a classic. You'll understand why the franchise became so popular.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-25-2017, 12:04 PM

Watch the original. It's a brilliant film and there's a reason it's left a mark on society.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-25-2017, 12:34 PM
Some people just need to be educated on the subject matter. There are some movies that are just essential viewing to any sci-fi fan or any self respecting movie go-er.

Cylon is great, but I would like to broaden his horizons. There are some others out there who are uncultured swine, but not him. Some people just don't appreciate the fine arts.

:tlove:

He still cares about me!!!

Shark_Blade
02-26-2017, 01:34 AM
I have to re-clarified, I watched RISE of the Planet of the Apes (2011). :trazz: I never watched the reboot 2001 nor the classic 1968.

But hopefully that's soon about to change cause now I'm interested. :D

THGhost
02-26-2017, 05:23 PM
If you're not sure you'll enjoy them, watch the original and see what you think afterwards. It doesn't matter (to me) if you don't watch the sequels or 2001 remake. Definitely watch Rise and Dawn though.

TigerClaw
02-26-2017, 05:50 PM
If you're not sure you'll enjoy them, watch the original and see what you think afterwards. It doesn't matter (to me) if you don't watch the sequels or 2001 remake. Definitely watch Rise and Dawn though.
I liked the 2001 remake by Tim Burton, that one had some really good Makeup FX.

sdp
02-26-2017, 05:59 PM
Who can forget when the apes invaded WWF Raw is War and helped Chris Jericho make fun of the McMahons. Another reason to thank the Burton reboot.

THGhost
02-28-2017, 08:50 PM
I liked the 2001 remake by Tim Burton, that one had some really good Makeup FX.

I know, right? Tim Roth was unrecognisable!

Shark_Blade
03-04-2017, 03:27 AM
Okay I finally finished watching the 1968 original movie and... well it's not for me. It is so dated, it served its purpose but I'll probably never watching it again.

I'm watching the remake and I'm enjoying it very much. :D The main character is likeable, the setting & props are believable and look better. It helps a lot in the immersion of the movie.

sdp
03-04-2017, 09:42 AM
It is not dated, you may not have liked it but that's two different things.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Sometimes Sharkie says stuff that is so f*cking stupid that I can never tell whether he's serious or a very good troll.

CyberCubed
03-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Good movies are never dated no matter how old they are.

THGhost
03-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Sometimes Sharkie says stuff that is so f*cking stupid that I can never tell whether he's serious or a very good troll.

Good movies are never dated no matter how old they are.

Couldn't agree more, guys.

myconius
03-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Okay I finally finished watching the 1968 original movie and... well it's not for me. It is so dated, it served its purpose but I'll probably never watching it again.

I'm watching the remake and I'm enjoying it very much. :D The main character is likeable, the setting & props are believable and look better. It helps a lot in the immersion of the movie.

just out of curiosity, did you prefer the Tim Burton remake of Willy Wonka?

Prowler
04-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Who can forget when the apes invaded WWF Raw is War and helped Chris Jericho make fun of the McMahons. Another reason to thank the Burton reboot.
Huh? Really? When?

LeotheLateBloomer
08-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Planet of the Apes is such a fantastic movie.

Beneath the Planet of the Apes was also pretty well done and kept me in suspense the first time I watched it as a kid.

Escape from Planet of the Apes was hilarious but also very captivating with a lot of endearing moments.

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes had a lot strange moments but I still love it.

Battle for the Planet of the Apes was amazing but as far as I remember, I've only watched it like once or twice.

Haven't watched the 2001 film. Is that related to the first five, remake, or reboot?

CyberCubed
08-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Haven't watched the 2001 film. Is that related to the first five, remake, or reboot?

It's a standalone movie. It was intended as a reboot back in 2001 but the movie never got a sequel since it was poorly received. So then they waited a decade till 2011 to do another proper reboot, and this one was a success.

sdp
08-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Huh? Really? When?

gCGIhXfTPXg

I remember being mad because I still believed somewhat that wrestling was real and yet I didn't understand why they would use something that wasn't real like the apes on stage. :lol:

Prowler
08-11-2017, 05:03 AM
gCGIhXfTPXg

I remember being mad because I still believed somewhat that wrestling was real and yet I didn't understand why they would use something that wasn't real like the apes on stage. :lol:

Hahaha

Well, Robocop and a Mortal Kombat-like character were on WCW back in 1994-1995 or so :lol:

Shark_Blade
08-11-2017, 06:57 AM
just out of curiosity, did you prefer the Tim Burton remake of Willy Wonka?I love both actually. :D

WWCF
What I like:

Amazing musicals - I'm surprised that Charlie's mother sang so well too.
I prefer this Charlie more than the modern one
Grandpa Joe was an asshole here (https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/people-still-hate-grandpa-joe-willy-wonka-chocolate-factory/). He laid in bed for 20 years while his daughter and grandson worked their asses off to support him. As soon as he gets to go to a chocolate factory, he literally dances out of the door. :lol:

Dislike:

Outdated setting
Somewhat demented Wonka, particularly at the end. I don't think he should be shouting at the poor boy like that.

CCF
What I like:

Amazing visuals and colors.
I prefer this Willy Wonka more than the old one.
The spoiled brats are more appealing here.

Dislike:

Can't beat the musicals of the original
The oompa loompas and their songs are kinda meh for me