PDA

View Full Version : Northampton Arc vs Space Arc

FredWolfLeonardo
02-26-2017, 12:40 AM
Title says all. Which one do you prefer from this show?

Autbot_Benz
02-26-2017, 01:12 AM
Space Arc. Northampton Arc was like watching Paint Dry

ssjup81
02-26-2017, 01:42 AM
I liked stuff about both. I liked the creepiness of the North Hampton arc (Dream Beavers ep I will forever love), but I enjoyed the exploration of the Space arc...

Man, we need a third option...neutral. I think I like both about the same.

CyberCubed
02-26-2017, 01:58 AM
Space arc was much better overall obviously. I did still like a number of the Northampton eps aside from the Bigfoot one.

MrTMNT2012
02-26-2017, 02:28 AM
Northampton had one decent episode.

Space arc had none.

So.

Yeah.

The Turtle Terminator
02-26-2017, 02:58 AM
Northampton bored me, Space Arc was decent (also I am an nutter for space battles and astronomy/astrophysics) so I voted Space Arc

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-26-2017, 03:39 AM
Outer space

GoldMutant
02-26-2017, 07:11 AM
I honestly don't like either. Both are excessive in length and get mundane after a while personally. However, the concepts were there, just the execution wasn't up to snub.

In terms of "fun" as well as episodes, I much prefer Northampton. I'm more of a horror guy than I am a sci-fi fan. The guest voices were solid as well, especially getting Robert Englund for In Dreams. At the same time, I also didn't like Northampton due to its story placement. With the exception of Vision Quest, none fully impacted the overarching narrative, even if Within the Woods and A Foot Too Big contributed to future episodes such as Creepweed for the former and the Donatello and April "relationship." I think it could've been condensed or better set up though, just a bit excessive with all the horror tributes almost being back to back.

As for the space arc... man, it got boring. Amazing animation, introductions to old school favorites like Dregg, Armaggon, and even Wyrm, and has the occasional funny moment. Otherwise, I don't like most of the episodes; they weren't as noteworthy as some of the later entries in season 4. It could've been so much more, just feels like it was missing something entirely.

ObiWanFan4life
02-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Although both story arcs dragged and overstayed their welcome, I say that the Northampton arc is "better" if only for the weird Horror themed episodes and the fact that it dragged less.

The Space arc brought us some unique looking worlds and started with some sense of uregency, but devoting almost half of Season 4 to the arc led to it loose steam quickly.

ObiWanFan4life
02-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Moreover, Northampton only makes up 1/3rd of Season 3, whereas the first half of Season 4 is devoted to the Space Arc.

ToTheNines
02-26-2017, 10:05 AM
I liked several Northampton episodes, but they totally bungled it as an arc. I know it's not fair to compare this show to Mirage, but their exile isn't supposed to be about 80's horror homages. And the biggest whiff was the campfire scene. I get teared up during that scene in 1990 movie every time. The Nick take basically just has Splinter giving them a halfhearted pep talk.

The space arc went on too long, but I LOVED Tennant as Fugitoid. They also ditched the boring ass Federation and some of the alien planets were truly beautiful.

So I'd say Northampton had 3 good episodes out if 8, and the Space arc had 8 good episodes out of 14.

CyberCubed
02-26-2017, 11:22 AM
All the space eps were good except for the one they delved into Mikey's mind which was just meh.

Utrommaniac
02-26-2017, 11:39 AM
Space arch. It gave them something other to do than hide. Sometimes in Northhampton, it just seemed like they had gone on vacation, after Leonardo recovered from his injuries. The Bigfoot story was cringey, and the horror elements didn't really do it for me - considering that I can't even stand to watch horror films as a whole.

Granted, its sense of time travel was half-baked, especially while they had THE DOCTOR with them. Someone who should have lifted a finger and said "Um...no."

Obviously, the biggest thing for me was that it finally established that Utroms were a thing and "the Kraang" were just a mind-controlled majority group. And gave us two females in one episode - some thing I don't think any TMNT story has done.

CyberCubed
02-26-2017, 11:43 AM
Hm, also forgot how Seth Green's Leo sounded a bit off in the Northampton episodes, which is understandable as it was the first time he was voicing the character.

Really shows how much Seth improved.

ToTheNines
02-26-2017, 11:47 AM
All the space eps were good except for the one they delved into Mikey's mind which was just meh.

Beyond the Known Universe, Wyrm, Riddle of the Aeons, Revenge of the Triceratons and Evil of Dregg are all complete ass.

CyberCubed
02-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Wyrm was alright, just a fun silly episode.

Riddle of the Aeons dealing with those bat aliens, I don't remember that one being too bad. I don't even remember what Revenge of the Triceratons was.

neatoman
02-26-2017, 12:02 PM
Hm, also forgot how Seth Green's Leo sounded a bit off in the Northampton episodes, which is understandable as it was the first time he was voicing the character.

Really shows how much Seth improved.

Well technically speaking, didn't he voice Leo in Robot Chicken parodies?
QLfhU27CdxA

ssjup81
02-26-2017, 02:16 PM
All the space eps were good except for the one they delved into Mikey's mind which was just meh.In your opinion. I felt the ep revealed quite a bit about Mikey that was interesting to me. The biggest part of his personality was rage/anger, but unlike Raph, he has really good control over it because he hates how it makes him feel. Due to his concentrating on controlling that, he doesn't have as much control over the other parts.

Aaronardo
02-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Northampton was super boring with one, maybe two good episodes.

The Space Arc was consistently hilariously bad and almost makes me laugh how much it makes me cringe now that it's over.

The Space Arc has my vote simply for that entertainment value.

picassotheninjaturtle
02-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Northampton was boring, wasted, and only had one episode relevant to the plot. It reverted to the"monster of the week" episodes again. Trash. The Space Arc was better, I've always been a sucker for sci-fi adventures, but also had poorly used episodes and cheesy, predictable outcomes.

Coola Yagami
02-26-2017, 07:43 PM
Neither though I guess you can count Transdimensional Turtles as part of the space arc... then space arc.

I get the horror parody thing with Northampton, but making EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE like that was stupid and monotonous.
Both arcs dragged on larger than they should.

CyberCubed
02-26-2017, 08:39 PM
I get the horror parody thing with Northampton, but making EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE like that was stupid and monotonous.
Both arcs dragged on larger than they should.

It wasn't every single episode. The Bigfoot ep, Punk Frogs, giant bird, the training ep with the visions of the villains, and the one with the car weren't horror oriented.

GoldMutant
02-26-2017, 08:51 PM

It wasn't every single episode. The Bigfoot ep, Punk Frogs, giant bird, the training ep with the visions of the villains, and the one with the car weren't horror oriented.

You both are right and also are wrong. The car one, Race with the Demon has a premise similar to that of the horror movie/book Christine with the name similar to Race with the Devil.

The giant bird, Eyes of the Chimera, resembles the monster called The Giant Claw and can appear as a total monster depending on what a chimera is made of in mythology.

The Bigfoot episode, Foot Too Big, wasn't horror but did have a reference with Finger talking to his dead mother like Norman Bates from Psycho.

Vision Quest and The Croaking weren't horror at all to my knowledge.

That's still a majority of episodes with horror elements with five in total, but four of the eight which were full on tributes (Within the Woods, Buried Secrets, In Dreams, and Race with the Demon) and the other four either had a reference depending on mileage (Eyes of the Chimera) or did not (the remaining three episodes).

It's not every episode Coola, but Cubed it's still a half to a majority.

CyberCubed
02-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Well the arc overall was definitely horror themed of course, but not every episode was horror.

The space arc was all sci-fi, for the obvious reason that they were in space.

GoldMutant
02-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Well the arc overall was definitely horror themed of course, but not every episode was horror.

Still, it's a large percentage and can turn some people off. Then again, I am more of a horror enthusiast than a sci-fi nut.

Turtle-X
03-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Northampton was an absolute waste of time. The series slowed down to an absolute crawl.

Coola Yagami
03-04-2017, 02:13 PM
You both are right and also are wrong. The car one, Race with the Demon has a premise similar to that of the horror movie/book Christine with the name similar to Race with the Devil.

The giant bird, Eyes of the Chimera, resembles the monster called The Giant Claw and can appear as a total monster depending on what a chimera is made of in mythology.

The Bigfoot episode, Foot Too Big, wasn't horror but did have a reference with Finger talking to his dead mother like Norman Bates from Psycho.

Vision Quest and The Croaking weren't horror at all to my knowledge.

That's still a majority of episodes with horror elements with five in total, but four of the eight which were full on tributes (Within the Woods, Buried Secrets, In Dreams, and Race with the Demon) and the other four either had a reference depending on mileage (Eyes of the Chimera) or did not (the remaining three episodes).

It's not every episode Coola, but Cubed it's still a half to a majority.

I don't count vision quest. For me that's the 'they finally stopped all the horror **** and are finally moving on with the story' episode. It does have too much of a horror theme in one way or another. The April mom episode was a reference to The Thing and even though the frogs wasn't exactly horror the title itself is still a Shining parody.

Horror is fine and all, but not back to back to back. The Northampton arc felt more like the horror in the woods arc which ruined the point. Imagine a season where half was back to back time travel or back to back 80s crossover or back to back 'Mikey does something stupid and must fix it' episodes.

All those kinds of episodes work and can add variety to the show but not if they're done 5 episodes or so in a row.

Shellington
03-05-2017, 09:18 PM
Northampton for the Dream Beavers.

billbot85
05-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Northampton for the Dream Beavers.

This. Plus I loved all of the horror movie references as well the references to the Mirage comic and 1990 film.

Nevertheless, I really loved the space arc as well.

neatoman
05-28-2017, 03:03 AM
Let's see here...

Northampton, eight episodes.
Upsides: Homages to Elm Street, Friday 13 and Big Daddy Roth. Spirit World episode (even if done in a cheap way), flleshing out April's powers and origin.
Downsides: Punk Frogs episode kinda sucked and A Foot Too Big might be the worst episode in the entire show.

Space, 14 episodes (really? Over half the season?)
Upsides: David Tennant as the Fugitoid, Triceraton Gladiators, Full retcon of the Kraang.
Downsides: Wasting time on another damn asset recycle episode, David Wise levels of shameless writing on one episode, pointless inferior remake of Turtles Forever, nonsensical set-up, forcing drama based around Splinter we knew was going to be rendered pointless and a lot of it feels like filler (14 episodes on this? I mean really?).

So yeah, there are positives to both and both kind of overstay their welcome but one is signifigantly longer, leads in from nonsense, is full of nonsense and leads to nonsense. Northampton is better.

05-28-2017, 03:15 AM

Even the "Weird World of Wyrm" sucked. The rest were either OK or great.

BubblyShell22
05-28-2017, 06:11 AM
Northampton for me because I really enjoyed it and how some of the episodes focused on Leo too. Space arc wasn't too bad for me and I prefer it over 2K3's handling of it myself, but I voted for Northampton.

05-28-2017, 06:45 AM
Space arc wasn't too bad for me and I prefer it over 2K3's handling of it myself.

That space arc was too short. The turtles could've visited some more planets, but I guess the writers wanted it to stay closer to the Mirage Comics as the series in general was intended for.

Danetello
05-29-2017, 09:56 AM
The Northampton arc was terrible, for me at least. I was disappointed with the "Punk" Frogs, and the mutant car thing was utterly atrocious. That car episode alone killed the entire arc for me, and is by far the worst episode of TMNT 2012, and up there as being one of the worst of any series.

05-29-2017, 03:35 PM
The Northampton arc was terrible, for me at least. I was disappointed with the "Punk" Frogs, and the mutant car thing was utterly atrocious. That car episode alone killed the entire arc for me, and is by far the worst episode of TMNT 2012, and up there as being one of the worst of any series.

The one with a Kraang spacecraft found beneath the farmhouse was at least among the better. But I always waited for the turtles returning, and once they did, "Return to New York" became great.

DestronMirage22
05-29-2017, 06:19 PM
I thought both were horrible.

neatoman
05-30-2017, 02:25 AM

Like straight up horrible? Not just overstaying their welcome or having a few bad episodes in them?

FredWolfLeonardo
05-30-2017, 02:54 AM
I voted the Space Arc but its largely due to specific episodes like TransDimensional Turtles and the Area of Carnage although I prefer the setting of the Northampton Arc and would choose Horror over Sci-Fi anyday.

DestronMirage22
05-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Like straight up horrible? Not just overstaying their welcome or having a few bad episodes in them?

Yeah, straight up horrible.

05-30-2017, 08:19 AM
I voted the Space Arc but its largely due to specific episodes like TransDimensional Turtles and the Area of Carnage although I prefer the setting of the Northampton Arc and would choose Horror over Sci-Fi anyday.

If you like both mystic and science fiction, why not "Riddle of the Ancient Aeons"?

FredWolfLeonardo
05-30-2017, 08:33 AM
If you like both mystic and science fiction, why not "Riddle of the Ancient Aeons"?

That was one of my favourite episodes of the space Arc as well.

05-30-2017, 09:14 AM
That was one of my favourite episodes of the space Arc as well.

Outlaw Armaggon also rocked.

TMNTmousers
06-03-2017, 01:10 AM
Space arc was awesome Dregg, Armaggon, Fugitoid etc wish it was longer

06-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Space arc was awesome Dregg, Armaggon, Fugitoid etc wish it was longer

I could've been without Dregg, but as said, Armaggon was great!

ABrown
06-06-2017, 05:49 PM

I don't think I could've worded it better myself.

I will say this though, season four had a FAR better second half to its season than season three did. I very much enjoyed the second half of season four. The second half of season three was boring as all shell.

06-07-2017, 05:59 AM
I don't think I could've worded it better myself.

I will say this though, season four had a FAR better second half to its season than season three did. I very much enjoyed the second half of season four. The second half of season three was boring as all shell.

When they travelled in time and went to Japan? It was great!

PApagreg
06-07-2017, 11:19 AM
When they travelled in time and went to Japan? It was great!

Yeah but that was like one episode, not much happened in season 3

2K3
06-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Preferred the Space arc over the Northampton arc.

The Northampton arc felt overlonged and too "Mutant of the Week" centred. Out of all episodes the only ones I liked were "Within the Woods", "Buried Secrets", "Eyes of the Chimera" and "Vision Quest".

The Space arc was better written (The Triceratons/ Armaggon and Utrom stories were brilliant); though I wish Lord Dregg had more character (felt to one-tracked) and certain homage characters (like Wyrm, Merdudes and Neutrinos) felt tacky (though I loved Bellybomb).

06-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Preferred the Space arc over the Northampton arc.

The Northampton arc felt overlonged and too "Mutant of the Week" centred. Out of all episodes the only ones I liked were "Within the Woods", "Buried Secrets", "Eyes of the Chimera" and "Vision Quest".

The Space arc was better written (The Triceratons/ Armaggon and Utrom stories were brilliant); though I wish Lord Dregg had more character (felt to one-tracked) and certain homage characters (like Wyrm, Merdudes and Neutrinos) felt tacky (though I loved Bellybomb).

Of course it allows more varying adventures, there's so much more in space than just Northampton, Massachusetts!

Chris
06-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Both dragged on too long & got a bit boring really but at least the space arc felt a little less filler/villain of the week. I need to watch them both again without the crazy breaks between episodes, see if that makes a difference as the long hiatuses really didn't help with the feeling that both arcs went on forever.

There were still some decent episodes in both though, Vision Quest being the stand out.

06-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Both dragged on too long & got a bit boring really but at least the space arc felt a little less filler/villain of the week. I need to watch them both again without the crazy breaks between episodes, see if that makes a difference as the long hiatuses really didn't help with the feeling that both arcs went on forever.

There were still some decent episodes in both though, Vision Quest being the stand out.

The space arc was the worst when it came to breaks.

newfan
09-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Bit late with this one but Northampton. In the beginnig it was a good change of scenery for them and a place to recover, it did go on a bit longer than it could have but there were not many eps I didn't like.
The space arc was a different adventure for them and also good to include but this one went on way to long for me. Both times by the end I was thinking, okay now get back to splinter ☺ (before the end with the space arc)
Had the series gone on maybe they could have had a Japan arc, but I'd probably have found myself waiting for them to get back to NY again.(depending how long it went on)

Faster and Cheaper
09-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Both had issues but the farm stuff should have been two or three episodes. On my first week on the show i remember being asked by my first lead if I watched the show and was a fan. I said yes but that I had sort of lost interest in those episodes. He nodded his head and said,

"Yea those episodes kind of sucked."

Everyone in studio seemed way more into the space arc. If nothing else, it was always something different visually.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 02:49 PM
The only Northampton eps they could have axed was the Bigfoot one, the Dreambeaver one, and maybe either the car one or the giant bird one.

The Creep episode was good, the Punk Frog's episode was great, April's Mom ep was good, and Vision Quest was good.

Faster and Cheaper
09-20-2017, 03:20 PM
The only Northampton eps they could have axed was the Bigfoot one, the Dreambeaver one, and maybe either the car one or the giant bird one.

The Creep episode was good, the Punk Frog's episode was great, April's Mom ep was good, and Vision Quest was good.

I could mostly agree with this, part of me would want to get rid of the creep and punk frog episode, but I did like the creep and was happy to see him later. Punk frogs I didn't care for this representation, but they have been around long enough it would have been weird to not have them.