PDA

View Full Version : Two new "old" characters in IDW! *SPOILERS*

AlZarkovski
02-27-2017, 12:53 AM
Very interesting article (https://tortueman.wordpress.com/2017/02/26/comic-con-de-bruxelles-informations-exclusives-sur-le-comic-didw-publishing-et-deroulement-du-salon/) in French. Please use Google-translator.
Spoilers alert!

Utrommaniac
02-27-2017, 01:03 AM
Well, well, looks like we know what's coming for 71 and 72 before we get to the Trial of Krang arch!

And maybe we'll FINALLY get somewhere on the Pantheon arch, just tell us what's going on guys!
https://media.giphy.com/media/ONAYuLIfsk8tq/giphy.gif

Toad Baron's in the main run and Universe at the same time, so that's cool, I guess. Mammoth looks pretty imposing too.

Powder
02-27-2017, 01:51 AM
Maybe you could change the title so that those of us who don't wanna be spoiled actually aren't?

I mean, writing the word spoilers after you've already revealed the characters is utterly pointless.

:tgrumble::tgrumble::tgrumble:

CyberCubed
02-27-2017, 01:59 AM
Jaguar being female now is a nice change, looks like Null isn't the only one to get a sex change during new continuities. :P

As for Mammoth...he's like one of the last characters I ever expected to see again. What.

AlZarkovski
02-27-2017, 02:26 AM
Maybe you could change the title so that those of us who don't wanna be spoiled actually aren't?

I mean, writing the word spoilers after you've already revealed the characters is utterly pointless.

:tgrumble::tgrumble::tgrumble:

Ok. Fixed.:P

CyberCubed
02-27-2017, 02:56 AM
Hm, just realized all the old Archie Mutanimals have now appeared in IDW except for Dreadmon:

Man Ray
Leatherhead
Mondo Gecko
Wingnut/Screwloose (although we don't know what timeline they wound up in)
Jaguar
Slash

***First of Two Latin Kings***
02-27-2017, 05:04 AM
I just realized something...

They HAVE to give us Cudley Cowlick.

Nortock Diab
02-27-2017, 05:44 AM
I just realized something...

They HAVE to give us Cudley Cowlick.

For sure!
Particularly if you consider there is only one Cudley in the Multiverse.
We would be getting the real one :).

ToTheNines
02-27-2017, 06:06 AM
Man, that Eastman design for Mammoth is badass. The next 8 issues look awesome, this could be the best year for IDW TMNT yet.

neatoman
02-27-2017, 07:20 AM
In light of this, I can't wait for the next Batman crossover.

p5iwXjMeYBg

ChosenOne
02-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Great find, Al! I still don't see a way to wrap up the Pantheon storyline in time for #100 (doesn't mean it can't and won't happen), but at least we're getting some further developments soon!

I had a hunch we'd be seeing IDW Jagwar... The other character, he looks familiar, is he from Archie? Is it Mammoth or Manmoth, like the article seems to call him repeatedly?

Assuming they're members of the Pantheon (which is admittedly somewhat of a leap in logic until we know more), alongside the third unidentified character on that cover, we now have 10 members of the Pantheon: Kitsune, Rat King, Chi-You, Aka, Toad Baron, Jagwar, Man(?)moth, serpent dude, cephalopod dude, and/or the third figure on the cover. Interesting.

CyberCubed
02-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Mammoth is from Archie. He was a caveman frozen in ice and then Shredder/Krang mutate him. He turns into a mammoth because the caveman was wearing mammoth clothing that was skinned from the beast in caveman times. In Archie though the mutagen turns you into the last animal you were in contact with similar to the original toon, but IDW's mutagen doesn't work that way so I wonder what he would be this time.

Also at the end since they can't control the mammoth, Shredder sends Bebop/Rocksteady to kill him and the last we see of him is falling into the river with Bebop/Rocksteady shouting, "We killed the monster!"

ChosenOne
02-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Mammoth is from Archie. He was a caveman frozen in ice and then Shredder/Krang mutate him. He turns into a mammoth because the caveman was wearing mammoth clothing that was skinned from the beast in caveman times. In Archie though the mutagen turns you into the last animal you were in contact with similar to the original toon, but IDW's mutagen doesn't work that way so I wonder what he would be this time.

Also at the end since they can't control the mammoth, Shredder sends Bebop/Rocksteady to kill him and the last we see of him is falling into the river with Bebop/Rocksteady shouting, "We killed the monster!"

Yep, now I remember that issue. It's towards the end of the run, I think.

I can see IDW Mammoth being a Pantheon member. We have Kitsune, Chi-You and Aka in East Asia, Rat King in Europe, Toad Baron seems Middle Eastern or North African, the cephalopod guy I'm guessing goes in the Pacific... An Aztec Jagwar and Mammoth for Alaska or something would be fine. I love the notion of each of them having their own territory to "rule" over. Even if China and Japan seem to be a particularly disputed domain.

CyberCubed
02-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Yep, even in Archie Jagwar wasn't a mutant, he was the son of some ancient god and a human woman if I remember correctly.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-27-2017, 11:45 AM
SWEET. About time we got a look at the whole Pantheon. I think what might be happening, judging on that one roundtable cover, is the Pantheon bring in the four Turtles to be judged, or examined, or some such...

And we NEED Leo to see Rat King again. Can't WAIT for that confrontation.

Also, great way to bring in those old cheesy Mutanimals/Archie characters.

Andrew NDB
02-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Yep, even in Archie Jagwar wasn't a mutant, he was the son of some ancient god and a human woman if I remember correctly.

And what a super, super creepy story there. She basically had sex with a mystical (but otherwise regular, appearance-wise) jaguar. It's not shown or spoken, but it's directly implied.

ToTheNines
02-27-2017, 12:05 PM
And what a super, super creepy story there. She basically had sex with a mystical (but otherwise regular, appearance-wise) jaguar. It's not shown or spoken, but it's directly implied.

Did she really though? Or was it more like a Baby Jesus scenario?

Andrew NDB
02-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Did she really though? Or was it more like a Baby Jesus scenario?

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=44028

Bobby Curnow
02-27-2017, 12:09 PM
This was definitely not meant to be shared! Cat is out of bag, but yeah: this was meant to be secret, so consider yourself spoiled.

CyberCubed
02-27-2017, 12:10 PM
This was definitely not meant to be shared! Cat is out of bag, but yeah: this was meant to be secret, so consider yourself spoiled.

Just curious, what happens when leaks like this come out? Do people get fired? :lol:

oldmanwinters
02-27-2017, 12:26 PM

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/StraightOuttaGreekMyth_zpskznygfx7.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/StraightOuttaGreekMyth_zpskznygfx7.jpg.html)

DestronMirage22
02-27-2017, 12:40 PM
Nice to see Adventures get some more love in this series! Like others, I suspect Mammoth is a member of the Pantheon, as for female Jagwar it's an interesting change. This series does kinda need more female characters, so there's that. Wonder if her origin will be as...interesting as the original.

MikeandRaph87
02-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Well there was the hint when it said Toad Baron's story would be followed up on in the ongoing soon. It just happened in #71 & #72 opposed to #76 & #77.

Here is what the translator states from the article:

Comic Con in Brussels: exclusive information on the comic from IDW Publishing and progress of the show

Tortuepedia / 1 day ago the Comic Con in Brussels took place on Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 February 2017. Kevin Eastman was present on this occasion, an opportunity for us to meet him but also to see that we reserved this show of geek.

During this fabulous day of February 25, Kevin Eastman was a question and answer with the host of the show at 11. After that he went to join his table to make the dedications to the many fans see it. At 3 pm, he headed the cabin from photoshoot to take photographs with fans that wanted. We had the chance to talk a little bit with him and he immediately accepted our request for an interview for Ninja turtles France. In addition to the proprietary information of this article, below you will find a small paragraph on the set of the show, activities and everything that made it fantastic!

And for put you water in your mouth before you publish the interview in its entirety, we got an exclusive information about the IDW Publishing comic! During the autograph session, fans could either sign a product they brought, either take a turtle drawing printed on photo paper. Another alternative, it had made available a few original drawings and design characters that he had submitted to Viacom. And what a surprise? Most of these boards were TMNT #71 and TMNT #72 that we know at present about! And two new characters were introduced.
As a reminder, we got up here solicitations until the TMNT #70 that will conclude the CRA Desperate measure with Bishop and the Earth Protection Force. Besides from the brief summary of IDW this number should be very important for the rest of the story.

The different layers were the Baron Toad (which will be introduced in the TMNT Universe #9) which seemed to receive in his home a few already well known characters in this universe, Rat King, Kitsune and Aka, in other words, members of the mysterious Pantheon. Three other figures in the foreground are back, which does not recognize them. The Baron Toad would be a member of the Pantheon?

Turning the pages of the collection of drawings of Kevin Eastman, our gaze then stopped about two characters unpublished at IDW Publishing, and yet already known to fans. Jagwar and Manmoth, two characters introduced in the Comics Archies. And to look at it more closely, they should be two of the three characters in back for coverage above.
Jagwar here should be a character either male and female. As a reminder, in the Archie Comics Jagwar was the son of an Indian and the spirit of the Jaguar and a friend of the turtles who will eventually agree to the Mighty Mutanimals. Manmoth was a cave man prisoner of ice and mutated by Shredder - also an ally of the turtles.
Curious to know more, we asked some information Kevin Eastman during the interview he gave us licensed. Here is his answer.

"Turtles Ninja France (TNF): we know what is going to happen until the TMNT #70 with Dark Water and Bishop's EPF and CRA Krang and the Dimension X from the TMNT #73." During the autograph session, I could see that there were sheets of characters designs Jagwar and Manmoth for the TMNT #72. Can you tell us about these characters?

Of course. Dark Water and the EPF discover the existence of mutants. They will track them to capture and use as military weapons. […] We also have this story with mystical characters called the Phanteon. Rat King is one of them, you also Chi - You, Kitsune... (TNF: the Toad Baron also?) Yes! We love being able to choose from the list of character of the different universes when we write our stories for IDW Publishing, and mainly in the Archie Comics, the original comic in black and white and the series of the 2000s as with Hun and the Purple Dragons. They are characters we want to put forward and we expect the good story to introduce them. It is a great revolution, and I think that the fans love it.

He could not give us more information of course, but it seems that Jagwar and Manmoth are also members of the Hall of Fame. At present, we know Kitsune, Rat King, Chi - You and Aka. The Baron Toad will be introduced in the TMNT Universe #9. Jagwar according to annotations must be of Aztec origin. Would it then be the God Tezcatlipoca, the jaguar face?

Different areas had been built. The largest was dedicated to traders who were selling thousands of products bearing the image of the superhero in all kind, so that new vintage. Many sellers also offered comics of all times. Ninja turtles were once again very well represented on many stands, through t-shirts, caps, the game board of IDW Entertainment, action figures, vehicles and comics. And if you read, the very kind gentleman of a vintage, no Muckman figurines stand doesn't do not part of the Toxic Crusaders from Playmates Toys! ^^
Cosplayers were also present with costumes all more beautiful than the other. Star Wars, Lord of the rings, Predators, Ghostbusters, fantastic universe, comics and manga, it was! While some proposed to test the drones, other stalls were available to the consoles of different generations for gamers. c5mrm_bxmaanxyqDans the room reserved for the fanmade, several associations of Belgian and Luxembourg Ghostbusters exhibited their work and shared their passion with visitors. Not far away, a workshop of the Star Wars lightsaber combat offered of many activities in which we are caught in the game. How a ninja would refuse to fight by the sword? Good on the other hand, Raph, I like "the new never heard the expression fair fight?
Seven hours at the salon were the shortest of our life. We had great meetings and mainly that of the young fan of Ninja turtles come to the North of the France. A lucky boy who lived his finest moments alongside Kevin Eastman and who could show him his drawings. Two artists together in this photo! Besides, you can find it on Youtube under the username Donnieninja59. Who knows, one day it will not resume a continuation of our work on the Tortuepedia and Ninja turtles France?

Soon for the translation of the questions and answers with Kevin Eastman.

AlZarkovski
02-27-2017, 01:24 PM
New interview with Waltz and Curnow on “TMNT” 60+ Issues In (http://www.multiversitycomics.com/interviews/tmnt-interview-waltz-curnow/)!

http://multiversitystatic.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2017/02/TMNT71_cvr.jpg

ChosenOne
02-27-2017, 01:27 PM
New interview with Waltz and Curnow on “TMNT” 60+ Issues In (http://www.multiversitycomics.com/interviews/tmnt-interview-waltz-curnow/)!

:o One of the best covers yet in the entire IDW run! So ominous!

ToTheNines
02-27-2017, 01:43 PM
Dave Watcher? Niiiice.

Sophie Campbell
02-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Just curious, what happens when leaks like this come out? Do people get fired? :lol:

Kevin is fired.

DestronMirage22
02-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Kevin is fired.

Um, in what sense of the word? Fired as in "fired up" or hyped?
Or fired as in "get out of here you're fired." 'Cause if it's the latter.... :(

snake
02-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Um, in what sense of the word? Fired as in "fired up" or hyped?
Or fired as in "get out of here you're fired." 'Cause if it's the latter.... :(

It's a joke.

DestronMirage22
02-27-2017, 02:22 PM
It's a joke.

Whoops. My mistake. Still not used to this online stuff. I still find humor/sarcasm hard to mke out online. Sorry about that. :embarass:

ProphetofGanja
02-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Answers!!! Finally, answers are incoming! Rejoice!

But seriously, this leak is some hot fire. I can't wait to learn more about the Pantheon family and find out what their deal is.

Some great art on all of these covers and character designs, too

ChosenOne
02-27-2017, 02:50 PM
I have to ask, is this a genuine leak (sorry for the oxymoron), though?

While I can and do understand French, I rarely do it outside of work since it's one of the hardest languages for me to "digest", so I skimmed over most of the article looking for info specifically on upcoming issues and characters.

I got the impression that everything was revealed through legitimate channels at Comic Con Brussels, so it's not so much a leak as it is the comics equivalent of the Nick cartoon season 4 finale airing halfway around the world from the U.S. first...

TigerClaw
02-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Jaguar being female now is a nice change, looks like Null isn't the only one to get a sex change during new continuities. :P

As for Mammoth...he's like one of the last characters I ever expected to see again. What.
I'm ok with Jagwar being female, The comic needs more female mutants, but i wonder what Jagwar's origin is gonna be since the character wasn't a mutant.

ProphetofGanja
02-27-2017, 02:59 PM
I have to ask, is this a genuine leak (sorry for the oxymoron), though?

While I can and do understand French, I rarely do it outside of work since it's one of the hardest languages for me to "digest", so I skimmed over most of the article looking for info specifically on upcoming issues and characters.

I got the impression that everything was revealed through legitimate channels at Comic Con Brussels, so it's not so much a leak as it is the comics equivalent of the Nick cartoon season 4 finale airing halfway around the world from the U.S. first...

I meant it was a leak only in the sense that Eastman let the cat out of the bag too early, according to Bobby. But yeah I mean we were going to find all this out eventually, and its not like any real story beats were revealed other than "the Pantheon will have a family reunion of sorts"

TigerClaw
02-27-2017, 03:03 PM
What are the chances that Jagwar and Mammoth are gonna be joining the Mutanimals?

ChosenOne
02-27-2017, 03:08 PM
I meant it was a leak only in the sense that Eastman let the cat out of the bag too early, according to Bobby. But yeah I mean we were going to find all this out eventually, and its not like any real story beats were revealed other than "the Pantheon will have a family reunion of sorts"

Ah, I see. I hadn't read any comments on the matter from anyone other than Sophie in this very thread.

Yeah, the family reunion could be seen coming, but that doesn't make it any less intriguing. Jagward, Mammoth and the third figure are either with the Pantheon or against them, but they're definitely involved. Safe to say that storyline is about to kick into high gear very soon.

CyberCubed
02-27-2017, 03:08 PM
What are the chances that Jagwar and Mammoth are gonna be joining the Mutanimals?

If they're part of the Pantheon then no.

TigerClaw
02-27-2017, 03:16 PM
Here's all of the concept art from that article.

https://tortueman.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/couverture-tmnt-71-jaguar-kevin-eastman-idw-comic-tortues-ninja-turtles-tmnt_1.jpg?w=900

https://tortueman.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/couverture-tmnt-72-jaguar-kevin-eastman-idw-comic-tortues-ninja-turtles-tmnt_1.jpg?w=900

https://tortueman.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/manmoth-kevin-eastman-idw-comic-tortues-ninja-turtles-tmnt_4.jpg?w=900

https://tortueman.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/manmoth-kevin-eastman-idw-comic-tortues-ninja-turtles-tmnt_3.jpg?w=900

https://tortueman.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/manmoth-kevin-eastman-idw-comic-tortues-ninja-turtles-tmnt_2.jpg?w=955

https://tortueman.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/manmoth-kevin-eastman-idw-comic-tortues-ninja-turtles-tmnt_1.jpg?w=897

https://tortueman.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/jaguar-kevin-eastman-idw-comic-tortues-ninja-turtles-tmnt_3.jpg?w=900

https://tortueman.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/jaguar-kevin-eastman-idw-comic-tortues-ninja-turtles-tmnt_2.jpg?w=900

https://tortueman.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/jaguar-kevin-eastman-idw-comic-tortues-ninja-turtles-tmnt_1.jpg?w=900

oldmanwinters
02-27-2017, 03:32 PM
If I remember, Eastman started a fan club where subscribers could get advanced peeks at his various drawings and cover concepts. I'm guessing some subscriber decided to share the wealth on that French fansite. International immunity, I guess?

MikeandRaph87
02-27-2017, 03:42 PM
So Jagwar and Mammoth are going to appear in #71/72. Jagwar like Nill has been gender flipped. That is fine, but what would Null and Jagwar of Archie say in response?:lol: Friend or foe? Pantheon members? Mutants? Something else?

AquaParade
02-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Great interview and awesome cover! Thanks for posting.

I absolutely love reading these interviews and getting a peek behind the scenes with Bobby, Tom, or Kevin. Please keep doing these guys, I find them fascinating.

old_hob88
02-27-2017, 04:17 PM
If I remember, Eastman started a fan club where subscribers could get advanced peeks at his various drawings and cover concepts. I'm guessing some subscriber decided to share the wealth on that French fansite. International immunity, I guess?

Nah Kevin leaked the info at the con he was at in Belgium this weekend

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-27-2017, 04:32 PM

Great interview! Sorry stuff got spoiled... I'm sure it annoys the team.

That said, I'm definitely excited for #71-72. But first... BACK TO BISHOP. :tcool:

TigerClaw
02-27-2017, 04:34 PM
So Jagwar and Mammoth are going to appear in #71/72. Jagwar like Nill has been gender flipped. That is fine, but what would Null and Jagwar of Archie say in response?:lol: Friend or foe? Pantheon members? Mutants? Something else?
I wonder if they are gonna make Jagwar a mutant, and they will borrow the idea from the archie comic of him being born of a human mother, and jaguar spirit.

CyberCubed
02-27-2017, 05:36 PM
Hard to believe after this and the Trial of Krang, IDW TMNT will be at nearly 80 issues. After that just 20 issues till the big 100. They're probably going to wrap up a lot of the major plotlines by then, most obvious one being the Pantheon finally, so I hope they take care of a lot of the groundwork now.

AquaParade
02-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Hard to believe after this and the Trial of Krang, IDW TMNT will be at nearly 80 issues. After that just 20 issues till the big 100. They're probably going to wrap up a lot of the major plotlines by then, most obvious one being the Pantheon finally, so I hope they take care of a lot of the groundwork now.

It is pretty impressive what they've manage to do, especially given the current state of the comic book industry and it's struggle to keep readers hooked without a new #1.

That said, I wouldn't mind a fresh start after issue #100/150. By that I mean a new main writer and set of artists to shake things up and give a fresh direction. I'd still love to see Kevin involved in whatever capacity.

I'm blown away by what the current team has been able to achieve in regards to keeping things consistent over such a long period of time, but I do think it's nearly time to see what another team can do with the reigns.

That said, I'd never wish anyone out of a job, the current book is something special, and "the grass is always greener...", so I look forward to whatever comes next for this book.

CyberCubed
02-27-2017, 06:05 PM
Well all the specials and Universe have different writers already. I prefer they continue with the same continuity until whenever the series ends or gets canceled, which hopefully won't be for a long time.

ChosenOne
02-27-2017, 06:30 PM
I've repeatedly stated that I feel like this book can go to #150 and possibly even further beyond. There's just so much history to mine, and new original directions to take, that a reboot/relaunch wouldn't really be bringing anything worthwhile to the table. How would it start? Another feud with Shredder? Nope, much better they stay the course and keep building on the world and its characters. IDW TMNT can go up to #200, if it keeps up this level of quality.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-27-2017, 07:36 PM
That said, I wouldn't mind a fresh start after issue #100/150. By that I mean a new main writer and set of artists to shake things up and give a fresh direction. I'd still love to see Kevin involved in whatever capacity.

No way, man, the main comic industry (DC/Marvel) is nothing BUT new starts, restarts, refreshes, reboots, retreads... all plot and character developments are overwritten or undone in a couple of years.

I'd MUCH rather see this build to Issue #300. Just keep going and going. Then, if Bobby, Tom, and Kevin run out of ideas, build to an epic climax and end.

THEN a new take. :twink:

ProphetofGanja
02-28-2017, 06:43 AM

Nooooooo. We already have a rotating stable of artists for the main ongoing and TMNTU and other minis have different writers all the time. It would be dumb as hell to say "hmm we've got a phenomenal team that has reached an incredible milestone, let's fire them all and bring in a new team". That's just my opinion though. I'm super stoked that this series is well on its way to an issue #100, something other TMNT comics haven't achieved.

That being said, I could understand if the team decided to restart their numbering after #100, without rebooting. Call it a jumping on point for new readers, whatever, it'll probably be a new and interesting status quo anyways. The Turtles will likely have laid to rest some of their foes for good and have a whole new batch of enemies to fight. Those of us who have been here since the early days will know that that #1 is really a #101.

ChosenOne
02-28-2017, 09:26 AM
Nooooooo. We already have a rotating stable of artists for the main ongoing and TMNTU and other minis have different writers all the time. It would be dumb as hell to say "hmm we've got a phenomenal team that has reached an incredible milestone, let's fire them all and bring in a new team". That's just my opinion though. I'm super stoked that this series is well on its way to an issue #100, something other TMNT comics haven't achieved.

That being said, I could understand if the team decided to restart their numbering after #100, without rebooting. Call it a jumping on point for new readers, whatever, it'll probably be a new and interesting status quo anyways. The Turtles will likely have laid to rest some of their foes for good and have a whole new batch of enemies to fight. Those of us who have been here since the early days will know that that #1 is really a #101.

I'd still prefer it being numbered as #101 and onwards. It's a silly notion that every successful comic needs to relaunch constantly, IDW TMNT is consistently the best book(s) on the market right now and I'd love to see it go on without resorting to such fanbase-alienating gimmicks.

Making it past 100 issues and counting should be a badge of honor, not something to be ashamed of.

ProphetofGanja
02-28-2017, 10:47 AM
I'd still prefer it being numbered as #101 and onwards. It's a silly notion that every successful comic needs to relaunch constantly, IDW TMNT is consistently the best book(s) on the market right now and I'd love to see it go on without resorting to such fanbase-alienating gimmicks.

Making it past 100 issues and counting should be a badge of honor, not something to be ashamed of.

While I agree that a series reaching issue #100 is a badge of honor and a sign that the creative team definitely knows wtf they're doing, it seems to me that with the state of the comics industry as it is, as a series' issue numbers go up and up and up, it can become more and more intimidating for new readers to jump in.

Think about it like this: if you could choose between getting another 100 issues, guaranteed, with no reboot and all plot threads being continued, but with the issue numbering starting over, or another 100 issues starting at #101 but with only a, let's say, 50% chance of sales staying strong enough to get through another 100 issues without getting canceled before then, which would you choose?? I know I'd go for the sure thing! Of course things aren't nearly that simple in real life, but just as a simple thought exercise I would much rather IDW do what is best for the series' longevity than get caught up on something as trivial as issue numbering.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-28-2017, 10:50 AM
While I agree that a series reaching issue #100 is a badge of honor and a sign that the creative team definitely knows wtf they're doing, it seems to me that with the state of the comics industry as it is, as a series' issue numbers go up and up and up, it can become more and more intimidating for new readers to jump in.

Think about it like this: if you could choose between getting another 100 issues, guaranteed, with no reboot and all plot threads being continued, but with the issue numbering starting over, or another 100 issues starting at #101 but with only a, let's say, 50% chance of sales staying strong enough to get through another 100 issues without getting canceled before then, which would you choose?? I know I'd go for the sure thing! Of course things aren't nearly that simple in real life, but just as a simple thought exercise I would much rather IDW do what is best for the series' longevity than get caught up on something as trivial as issue numbering.

If it's only a matter of branding/numbering, then I don't care. Do what makes sense for the property.

AlessandraDC
02-28-2017, 11:15 AM
I agree. I'm sick of re-launching! TMNT is doing great right now. They have good writing and artistic talents. I say keep it up! TMNT Universe definitely allows for them to try out other things and types of stories. In the future, there may be something that works really well on Universe that can be carried over. But I for one, am happy with the continuity of the main book!

AquaParade
02-28-2017, 11:16 AM
I can understand why I am in the minority on wanting a "fresh start". It's a breath of fresh air, what IDW is doing with their numbering.

ChosenOne
02-28-2017, 11:18 AM

Honestly? I realize this may be an unpopular opinion, but if the cancellation left them enough time to wrap things up with one big bang of a final arc (like what Invincible is doing), I'd rather things just kept going as they are. Even if sales dip, they won't believably dip that far and that fast that the cancellation can't be seen coming in time to properly end the series. But this is just me. I blame Marvel and DC for giving me an aversion to all things reboot and relaunch.

You have to realize that the jumping-on point notion wouldn't afford them that much extra leeway if things were really that bad... It's a temporary fix, 10 issues or so into the relaunch and sales would be the same as they were in a post-100 landscape. That's almost always the case.

CyberCubed
02-28-2017, 11:37 AM
Honestly issue count going on past #101 is just a number. IDW TMNT ALREADY has 100+ issues when you count all the specials/mini's/Universe combined.

If they feel starting over at #1 after issue 100 comes out will increase sales and keep the series around, that's for the best. It'll likely keep the same continuity and I doubt Tom or Bobby will quit anytime soon, so we'll have the same creative team.

ChosenOne
02-28-2017, 11:46 AM
Honestly issue count going on past #101 is just a number. IDW TMNT ALREADY has 100+ issues when you count all the specials/mini's/Universe combined.

If they feel starting over at #1 after issue 100 comes out will increase sales and keep the series around, that's for the best. It'll likely keep the same continuity and I doubt Tom or Bobby will quit anytime soon, so we'll have the same creative team.

It is and it isn't just a number. Imagine if, for instance, The Walking Dead comic had started over after issue #100. Same exact continuity, same exact characters, same exact creative team. Would it have worked? Would it have been well received? Would it have boosted the sales any more?

Now, I'm not gonna comment on the quality of that comic post-All Out War, but for such a great series as IDW TMNT, and all things being equal, I'd rather they kept pushing the envelope as far as they can on the numbering. Counting past 100 says to the readers, both current and potential: "Look, here is a confident long-running comic that isn't afraid of its own history, it's good and we know it, why don't you come find out too?"

How often are readers hooked solely on relaunches, anyway? Isn't that a bit too 90's speculative boom-ish? Personally, I've often picked up new comics (Afterlife with Archie, Manifest Destiny, etc) several issues in and only because someone told me about them, or I read something about them online that made me curious. Word of mouth can have a much more positive impact than seeing a new #1 in the stores.

AquaParade
02-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Anyone else curious as to what Tom is hinting at when he mentions having a bigger reveal than the reincarnation aspect?

The reincarnation idea really was fantastic, so I'm definitely curious to see what other big plans he has in store before issue 100. Any hints, Tom?

ChosenOne
02-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Anyone else curious as to what Tom is hinting at when he mentions having a bigger reveal than the reincarnation aspect?

The reincarnation idea really was fantastic, so I'm definitely curious to see what other big plans he has in store before issue 100. Any hints, Tom?

I definitely am, and I got the impression he has more than one big reveal up his sleeve. Considering the recent focus on the Pantheon, it's likely (but not 100% guaranteed) to be something that involves their machinations.

old_hob88
02-28-2017, 12:13 PM
It is and it isn't just a number. Imagine if, for instance, The Walking Dead comic had started over after issue #100. Same exact continuity, same exact characters, same exact creative team. Would it have worked? Would it have been well received? Would it have boosted the sales any more?

Now, I'm not gonna comment on the quality of that comic post-All Out War, but for such a great series as IDW TMNT, and all things being equal, I'd rather they kept pushing the envelope as far as they can on the numbering. Counting past 100 says to the readers, both current and potential: "Look, here is a confident long-running comic that isn't afraid of its own history, it's good and we know it, why don't you come find out too?"

How often are readers hooked solely on relaunches, anyway? Isn't that a bit too 90's speculative boom-ish? Personally, I've often picked up new comics (Afterlife with Archie, Manifest Destiny, etc) several issues in and only because someone told me about them, or I read something about them online that made me curious. Word of mouth can have a much more positive impact than seeing a new #1 in the stores.

I feel the exact same way. In a market in which a series is lucky to make it to 10 issues before a reboot/relaunch, 100 is a big deal

CyberCubed
02-28-2017, 12:18 PM
I definitely am, and I got the impression he has more than one big reveal up his sleeve. Considering the recent focus on the Pantheon, it's likely (but not 100% guaranteed) to be something that involves their machinations.

Splinter taking over the Foot was a pretty big reveal too, although we're now expecting another one.

It's hard to think of what else they could do outside of Pantheon stuff, as the stories following Shredder, Krang, Bishop, etc. have followed pretty closely to their past incarnations.

We're still due for a big Triceraton arc at some point, I'm not sure if they'll be in the upcoming space arc or not.

ProphetofGanja
02-28-2017, 01:57 PM

Oh yeah, definitely. I imagine at least one of the big reveals relates to the Pantheon (obviously) and there are likely many related to future story beats that haven't even been introduced yet. Should be an epic journey to get there!

bushido
03-03-2017, 05:26 AM
Interview in french from the Comic Con Brussels here (https://tortueman.wordpress.com/2017/03/03/comic-con-de-bruxelles-qr-avec-kevin-eastman/). Prepare your translator :tlol:

miru
03-03-2017, 05:55 PM
I totally want THIS Jagwar to be made as a toy. Perhaps a plushie?

bushido
03-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Exclusive interview in french here (https://tortueman.wordpress.com/2017/03/05/comic-con-de-bruxelles-interview-exclusive-avec-kevin-eastman/). Really interesting...if you read frog :tlol:

Utrommaniac
03-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Oh my god, can we bring back Terror Pin and his sidekick Snappy Warhol :lol: