PDA

View Full Version : sculpting question

tmntfannumerouno
02-28-2017, 11:41 AM
What's everyone's opinion on using a cheaper clay and or sculpting material for a base on a big project and then using your normal clay (aves) for the outer layer. Aves can get a bit expensive and they did raise the price this year by a couple dollars. Has anyone done this? Is there any downside to doing this?

TheMasterTurtle
02-28-2017, 08:43 PM
I haven't found any downside to do this. To keep weight down I actually use aluminum foil and wire as my base

tmntfannumerouno
02-28-2017, 09:13 PM
I haven't found any downside to do this. To keep weight down I actually use aluminum foil and wire as my base

I've done the aluminum foil thing too like you said to keep the weight down on certain pieces. I guess what I'm really interested in is the cheaper clay being used as a base and then sculpting over it. Would it be more prone to cracking? Would it make the piece more fragile overall?

ThunDerian
03-03-2017, 03:19 PM
What's everyone's opinion on using a cheaper clay and or sculpting material for a base on a big project and then using your normal clay (aves) for the outer layer. Aves can get a bit expensive and they did raise the price this year by a couple dollars. Has anyone done this? Is there any downside to doing this?

I'd advise to use styrofoam as a base material. It's cheap, light and easy to shape - either by "sculpting" it with a hobbyknife or if its dence enough you can sand it.

tmntfannumerouno
03-03-2017, 05:22 PM
I'd advise to use styrofoam as a base material. It's cheap, light and easy to shape - either by "sculpting" it with a hobbyknife or if its dence enough you can sand it.

I didn't even think about using styrofoam. I'll have to give that a try.

TheMasterTurtle
03-03-2017, 06:00 PM
In my experience - super sculpy on the inside and something like aves on the outside should not cause a problem assuming you bake or cure the cheaper clay youre using on the inside

kwalsh007
03-29-2017, 10:59 PM
Yep. always use a cheap core. Foil/foam/wood. Also other toys chopped up and ground down to create a skeleton for your sculpture works great. Aves is way too expensive to use solid.