PDA

View Full Version : New R-rated TMNT movie in production!

Andrew NDB
02-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Well, this says so, anyway:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rated-r-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-movie#/

He just needs 20 million dollars and he will bring KRANG Industries to life.

Utrommaniac
02-28-2017, 01:18 PM
It's closed, though. I can't even seen when it was started.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-28-2017, 01:20 PM
I knew this was an Andrew post as soon as I saw it. Only came on to say:

"Yeah, and "Dawn of the Ninja" will soon be in print, too." :trazz:

Andrew NDB
02-28-2017, 01:21 PM
He doesn't seem to understand what "millennials" are. And the Mirage comics were "gratuitously violent"? Which ones?

Prowler
02-28-2017, 01:22 PM
I knew this was an Andrew post as soon as I saw it.
Yep, same. But I honestly thought it was gonna be a "gotcha!" April Fools sort of thing. Not na actual link for some guy's indie project.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Dammit Andrew! You made me think that we might get something worthwhile! :tlol:

This guy seems to have been pretty optimistic as to how the film world works. The reality is that you can't just raise a bunch of money, use Nickelodeon's characters, and then expect them not to have much creative input, regardless of how many backers there are. And they can flat-out say, 'no'. TMNT is box office poison for the next six or seven years.

AquaParade
02-28-2017, 02:42 PM
TMNT doesn't need an "R" rating to capture the spirit of the original Mirage comics. It does need someone who respects the source material though.

RaphaelinSTL
02-28-2017, 02:51 PM
Oddly enough, the Twitter page doesn't seem to have any traction to it since last summer and the page doesn't seem to play the video on the IndieGoGo...

https://twitter.com/Rated_R_TMNT

EDIT: Just noticed the "closed" status.

Andrew NDB
02-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Probably Nickelodeon shut it down.

ssjup81
02-28-2017, 03:30 PM
He doesn't seem to understand what "millennials" are. And the Mirage comics were "gratuitously violent"? Which ones?Ah man, don't you know? Nearly every issue. They actually used their weapons and the hits actually connected!! OMG!! The gratuitous violence!! Someone think of the children!! :P:lol:

Utrommaniac
02-28-2017, 03:34 PM
TMNT doesn't need an "R" rating to capture the spirit of the original Mirage comics. It does need someone who respects the source material though.

I think an R-rated TMNT, no matter how connected to the source material it is, would just come off as "edgy" as well, simply for the R-rating.

Besides, the Mirage violence is probably a heavy PG-13 at best.

Andrew NDB
02-28-2017, 03:39 PM
I think an R-rated TMNT, no matter how connected to the source material it is, would just come off as "edgy" as well, simply for the R-rating.

Besides, the Mirage violence is probably a heavy PG-13 at best.

There is no reason that a Mirage-centric movie couldn't be hard-PG-13. Though there's weird things within PG-13... you can quick-cut show a head shot (as long as there's no blood or gore), but you can't show someone getting kicked in the face.

AquaParade
02-28-2017, 03:48 PM
There is no reason that a Mirage-centric movie couldn't be hard-PG-13. Though there's weird things within PG-13... you can quick-cut show a head shot (as long as there's no blood or gore), but you can't show someone getting kicked in the face.

Really, now?

Maybe the tmnt need an "R" more than I realize. It's highly debatable.

I would love a tmnt film with the tone and irreverence of Deadpool. Not to say they need to be the same formula.

Utrommaniac
02-28-2017, 03:50 PM
That I can see working. As long as it doesn't push into EdgeLord territory of dark grittiness.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-28-2017, 04:07 PM
you can quick-cut show a head shot (as long as there's no blood or gore), but you can't show someone getting kicked in the face.

I think the logic there is that the MPAA in dealing with PG-13 wants to avoid things that impressionable audience members can easily imitate. Like kicks to the head - very easy way to hurt someone, maybe very seriously. Easy to do.

sgtfbomb
02-28-2017, 11:17 PM
I would love a tmnt film with the tone and irreverence of Deadpool.

It works for Deadpool because, well, Deadpool is a douche. The tone of the film fits the character. But the movie, for me, was hardly an exemplary film in the superhero genre. It worked well as a comedy. But because the film was so humor-centric, the story and action sequences lacked gravitas. It's a superhero movie for drunk college students. I don't want that to be TMNT.

TMNT is comradery and family. I don't mean "family" as in "Family film," but brotherhood. It's not "my roommate is an old lady on crack." A lot of people don't like that the Fred Wolf animated series created a connotation that TMNT was just jokes and random action. I don't see how making the jokes R-rated and making it cynical is respecting the franchise.

Maybe it's because I'm in my 30s and I have been watching R rated movies since I was 5, but the fact that a movie is R rated no longer impresses me. I don't mind that Logan is R-rated. That's interesting. But that's not what makes good films or effective films. If I like that movie, it won't be because I saw his claws go through someone's cranium. It's like the horror genre and its fans who are always clamoring for horror to be exclusively R rated. Yet, when I think of the horror films that have made me jump or have made me fear something -- and its only a handful of horror films -- most of them are PG or PG-13. I think, out of those films, Halloween is the only one that is R. That's because you don't need to see someone's intestines to scare people.

Wildcat
02-28-2017, 11:36 PM
$100 tickets, free alcohol and possible nudity :lol:

Mark Cuban? He's not going to help make a TMNT movie. The Dallas Mavericks are rebuilding :lol:

$20 million, what was this guy thinking?

Candy Kappa
03-01-2017, 01:49 AM
Nunhchucks break bones. Swords cut. Bos crack skulls. Sais gouge.

Oh no, he's one of those guys who gouge people with batons XD

Someone wants 20 mill to make a movie they don't own the copyright to? lmao. It's even more laughable after the Axanar lawsuit.

Ninjinister
03-01-2017, 02:50 AM
idk To Serve and Protect was pretty gory

sgtfbomb
03-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Someone wants 20 mill to make a movie they don't own the copyright to? lmao. It's even more laughable after the Axanar lawsuit.

That should've been a hint to the filmmaker to do something original instead. Independent filmmakers shouldn't even try to use anything that has copyright materials in it. Because Even down to the shirts people wear or the beers people drink. Cover that label and avoid a lawsuit.

Andrew NDB
03-01-2017, 11:14 AM
$20 million, what was this guy thinking?

I almost had the thought it was just a guy trolling, but his fundraiser seems genuine. He really believes he "has" something there.

sdp
03-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Has been done before, anyone remember the "mature" OT movie from a few years ago that turned into a comic that never happened and a bunch of drama including a fake press interview?

AquaParade
03-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Has been done before, anyone remember the "mature" OT movie from a few years ago that turned into a comic that never happened and a bunch of drama including a fake press interview?

Yeah, I actually followed that for a while. I'm weak and desperate.

CyberCubed
03-01-2017, 03:18 PM

Dawn of the Ninja. Andrew trolled the hell out of them for years.

Venom
03-01-2017, 05:34 PM
He doesn't seem to understand what "millennials" are. And the Mirage comics were "gratuitously violent"? Which ones?

Yeah, this kid seems like the many who see the first issue and immediately think "ZOMG grimdark Turtles!" without venturing past that point. :troll:

Ha, the best part of the "interview":
"So, what do you have to show us?"
*pulls out title card*

snake
03-01-2017, 05:55 PM
That sounds amazing. Anyone have links to this "interview"?

Andrew NDB
03-01-2017, 06:35 PM
That sounds amazing. Anyone have links to this "interview"?

x0eP76Xn97A

I will say this, though. That man's wife is breathtaking.

Jester
03-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Ahhhh...the URL is dead. :(

Wildcat
03-01-2017, 11:04 PM
So that video is a separate thing from the Indiegogo link?

I don't know how far you can legally take a fan project but I'm assuming as long as it's just for fun and it's not made for profit you can pretty much do anything.

If you have nothing better to do fine but it seems like a big waste of time when you should put your efforts into something original that you could profit from.

These people make enough money they can afford to do this? Obviously not because it never happened.

It was funny how all he had to show was the nifty, nifty poster.

sgtfbomb
03-01-2017, 11:12 PM
With all the cease and desists that a lot of fan projects get, I am not sure why anyone even tries to make fan films anymore. You either need a lot of money, which garners attention and threats of lawsuits or you spend hardly anything at all and the CG (assuming you would use CG for this) wouldn't look professional, distracting people from your skills as an actual director, and you end looking like a hack. It just doesn't seem like a win scenario at all.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 12:22 AM
With all the cease and desists that a lot of fan projects get, I am not sure why anyone even tries to make fan films anymore. It just doesn't seem like a win scenario at all.

It's probably because most people generally have no clue how real life laws work. Either that or they're just really stupid or naive enough to think they can use someone elses copyrighted characters and make their own production of it.

That's why these people act so shocked and disappointed/angry when they get "cease and desist" notices, it's because they generally have no damn clue of real life laws.

Part of it is probably just ignorance, I guess.

pferreira
03-02-2017, 09:41 AM
That fan project is closed and apart from the legal issues with good reason too. The guy doesn't seem to understand that while Turtles needs to be somewhat serious making it R rated doesn't make it good. You need a balance and as dark and violent as some fans make out the Mirage comic to be from what I've read I haven't really seen that. There are moments of violence but nothing OTT, just a good amount of humour and a cool street vibe.

The Deadman
03-02-2017, 09:57 AM
This probably would of been on the level as the Power/Rangers fan film. Incredibly crappy.

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 10:58 AM
That fan project is closed and apart from the legal issues with good reason too. The guy doesn't seem to understand that while Turtles needs to be somewhat serious making it R rated doesn't make it good. You need a balance and as dark and violent as some fans make out the Mirage comic to be from what I've read I haven't really seen that. There are moments of violence but nothing OTT, just a good amount of humour and a cool street vibe.

Sounds... about right. And I would stress, "a good amount of humor, consistent with the type and extent of humor in the Kevin & Peter issues of the Mirage series."

sgtfbomb
03-02-2017, 12:03 PM

Yeah, I personally don't think an R rating guarantees a good film. I don't even think it fits the Turtles the same way it fits Deadpool.

Utrommaniac
03-02-2017, 12:36 PM
It's preaching to the choir to say that a rating does not equal a good film. Sausage Party is the most notable example I can think of in that regards.

Even serious movies can have G ratings. Look at Watership Down. A movie like that would probably be PG-13, or even R these days, but in the 70's, it was a G! Rabbits tearing each other to shreds! A seagull dropping the F-bomb, humans gassing and burying warrens with the rabbits still inside so they can use the land. A family picture!

There's some PG-13 violence that I still can't handle to this day. After seeing it the first time, I've never been able to handle watching the Orc Cannibalism scene in The Two Towers. I just...nope myself away.

Then there's the factor of violence not being a required factor for an R-rated film. While it is a factor, violence is not what made Mirage TMNT serious on its own. It was its attempt to study philosophy, racism, PTSD, martial arts, honor, fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...okay that end part is The Princess Bride, but you get my point.

Wanting a TMNT movie that's VIOLENT™ will not ever make it a good movie, because except for issue #1, that is not what the turtles are about.
EVER.

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Wanting a TMNT movie that's VIOLENT™ will not ever make it a good movie, because except for issue #1, that is not what the turtles are about.
EVER.

No, but they don't shy away from it either.

Utrommaniac
03-02-2017, 12:55 PM
That is true. But it's not the foundation of their seriousness. It's their experiences in addition to their fights, maybe about 75% so.

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 12:57 PM
That is true. But it's not the foundation of their seriousness.

Well... it's kind of their foundation. I mean, before all of their adventures and inner thinking... they were being raised and trained for the sole purpose of one day killing a man to avenge another. That's them on the ground level.

sgtfbomb
03-02-2017, 02:44 PM
But that is just one incarnation of TMNT. I know a lot of people love the Mirage stuff, but the franchise has moved on from their "violent foundations" and even if they did a movie based on Mirage, it doesn't make it a good movie.

The TMNT film franchise doesn't need grit and violence. It needs reverence towards what matters, the characters, not what society thinks the Ninja Turtles are (Krang, Technodrome, Cowabunga, Bebop and Rocksteady, etc.). It needs filmmakers who treat them as actual living being with souls, and so far that has only happened once... in 1990.

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 03:06 PM
But that is just one incarnation of TMNT. I know a lot of people love the Mirage stuff, but the franchise has moved on from their "violent foundations"

It's not "just one." It's the source material. And it hasn't "moved on" from it, it's devolved into and remained baby food. Baby food that just keeps on recycling itself, over and over again.

I say...

Jln3mi0vfJU

and even if they did a movie based on Mirage, it doesn't make it a good movie.

Nothing really guarantees a good movie. Though making a movie based on Mirage is the one stone they've left unturned. And yes, that's including the 1990 movie.

The TMNT film franchise doesn't need grit and violence.

Not even when, you know, they're fighting other ninjas? Bizarre. So what, camp and slapstick and tons of jokey stuff as they're fighting (ala, if there were 4 Spider-Mans on a team or something), then?

It needs reverence towards what matters, the characters, not what society thinks the Ninja Turtles are (Krang, Technodrome, Cowabunga, Bebop and Rocksteady, etc.). It needs filmmakers who treat them as actual living being with souls, and so far that has only happened once... in 1990.

Well, true there. I just don't see how what you're describing precludes in any way "grit and violence" where appropriate. They're not guidance counselors, they're ninja.

mikezilla2
03-02-2017, 03:34 PM
knew this had to be a Fan production going by the title! still pretty awsome tho even if it isnt going ahead

just wish hollywood would go back to using animatronic suits and trying to make a proper film that would appeal to an older demgrapic rather than a kids toy Com

sgtfbomb
03-02-2017, 04:30 PM
How does not being gritty instantly mean full-on camp? I think you're assuming I want something childlike and I am assuming you want something like Sin City.

pferreira
03-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Sounds... about right. And I would stress, "a good amount of humor, consistent with the type and extent of humor in the Kevin & Peter issues of the Mirage series."The humour in those comics was satirical, witty and self-referential so if they it the humour that way yeah it would be fine.

Even serious movies can have G ratings. Look at Watership Down. A movie like that would probably be PG-13, or even R these days, but in the 70's, it was a G! Rabbits tearing each other to shreds! A seagull dropping the F-bomb, humans gassing and burying warrens with the rabbits still inside so they can use the land. A family picture!Some of the darkest, most amazing movies have been ones for kids. If you're mentioning Watership Down as a film example I'll add Animals of Farthing Wood for TV. Den of Geek recently said in an article The Walking Dead has nothing on that cartoon series and they're not wrong! :lol:

How does not being gritty instantly mean full-on camp? I think you're assuming I want something childlike and I am assuming you want something like Sin City.You've got to have a good balance without a shifting tone. The Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies managed that great.

Utrommaniac
03-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Oh god, I forgot to mention Farthing Wood! The first fandom I joined on the internet! Now there was some family friendly violence.

pferreira
03-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Oh god, I forgot to mention Farthing Wood! The first fandom I joined on the internet! Now there was some family friendly violence.In retrospect it was a pretty violent kids cartoon. :o

pferreira
03-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Oh god, I forgot to mention Farthing Wood! The first fandom I joined on the internet! Now there was some family friendly violence.In retrospect it was a pretty violent kids cartoon. :o

sgtfbomb
03-09-2017, 11:06 AM
To be fair, in the 70s, the G rating didn't mean "family friendly." It was more of a general rating. Around the 80s, it sort of became the kids movie rating.

Remember how PG was in the 80s? PG-13 movies TODAY have nothing on PG movies from the 80s. Raiders of the Lost Ark had people's faces melting off. Poltergeist had a scene where a man rips off his face. Ghostbusters had a fellatio joke. Mid-70s Jaws had Quint spewing out blood while he was being munched on. It just meant "Parental Guidance," meaning "well, you can take your kids to this movie, but you might want to think about it."

AquaParade
03-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Andrew, I typically agree with all your statements regarding tmnt movies.

The one exception being the first movie not being in the spirit of Mirage.
To me, it captures the tone of the first volume pretty damn well. It's not a perfect Mirage adaption but it's pretty damn close.
Even Kevin seems to think so. Now, I'm not trying to rely on someone else's opinion, but he did create the turtles (sure, his world is not 100% dependable, but I think he's sincere with this one).

I'd love to see the TMNT movie you want though. I'm sure there are other ways of interpreting the Mirage comics, and I would like to have a stronger focus on the cycle of revenge that plays into Mirage heavily.

To sum up, yeah, I do think we could have an even more direct representation of Mirage. Boy would I love that. Baron's film captures the most important elements to me though, aside from taking a vicious look at the cycle of revenge (and the violence that would accompany this). Is that the key ingredient for you, or is there something else?

Andrew NDB
03-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Andrew, I typically agree with all your statements regarding tmnt movies.

The one exception being the first movie not being in the spirit of Mirage.
To me, it captures the tone of the first volume pretty damn well. It's not a perfect Mirage adaption but it's pretty damn close.

Not really at all. It's "Danny: The Movie, Starring Darth Shredder and his Halfway House for Troubled Youths." Complete with Dude Mikey. None of that crap is in the comics. And the Turtles don't do much of anything aside from cracking jokes, eating pizza and getting their asses kicked a couple times, and then losing to Shredder in the climax.

Now, every movie since has been progressively way worse, but I don't think it's fair to elevate TMNT 1990 to some kind of level of comic book perfection simply by virtue of comparing it to them. TMNT 1990 was a great film and a good TMNT film... but you're fooling yourself if you don't see that they still sold themselves way short.

Even Kevin seems to think so.

Kevin thinks a lot of things. No matter what the TMNT project is, that is "the best TMNT thing ever!!!"

I'm sure there's folks around here that remember before it came out how much he was raving about how NT:TNM was going to feature Turtles that are so much "older and grittier," and it'll be awesome. And how TMNT 2014 was going to blow our socks off with its The Raid-style fighting and how faithful it would be.

http://www.thenational.ae/blogs/scene-heard/back-to-the-drawing-board-for-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-creator-kevin-eastman

Yeah, according to Kevin, the Platinum Dunes movies possess "the darker edge of the comic books."

He's a great guy but his opinion on TMNT projects is kind of meaningless.

Baron's film captures the most important elements to me though, aside from taking a vicious look at the cycle of revenge (and the violence that would accompany this). Is that the key ingredient for you, or is there something else?

The self-defeating cycle of vengeance, absolutely. That's intrinsic to where the Turtles are "coming from," spiritually. And going. And then need to reevaluate. Not just barely mentioned in passing before Dude Mikey burps or makes a fart joke or something to re-lighten things.

Violence itself? That's an element, sure. There are moments of earnest fighting in TMNT 1990, but mostly it's injected with so much slapstick and sight gags that's it hard to take any of it seriously. Even when it semi tries to be serious, it's just "block block kick," every time. Seriously. Watch it again. Again, of course it's a lot worse in every movie since then, but that virtue alone doesn't mean that TMNT 1990 was like this epitome of "gritty violence."

pferreira
03-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Remember how PG was in the 80s? PG-13 movies TODAY have nothing on PG movies from the 80s. Raiders of the Lost Ark had people's faces melting off. Poltergeist had a scene where a man rips off his face. Ghostbusters had a fellatio joke. Mid-70s Jaws had Quint spewing out blood while he was being munched on. In the UK Poltergeist was never a PG, it was a 15. To gain a PG Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom had to have the heart scene cut out, Jaws was rated pretty much an 18 although this dropped over the years to a 12. Ghostbusters is the only one that was a PG in the US and remained that way over here without edits for the cinema/video releases.

The original Star Wars trilogy were all PG's in the cinema, in the UK they all got a U rating.

He's a great guy but his opinion on TMNT projects is kind of meaningless.Sorry did you just say the opinions the co-creator of TMNT are meaningless? :o

Violence itself? That's an element, sure. There are moments of earnest fighting in TMNT 1990, but mostly it's injected with so much slapstick and sight gags that's it hard to take any of it seriously. Even when it semi tries to be serious, it's just "block block kick," every time. Seriously. Watch it again. Again, of course it's a lot worse in every movie since then, but that virtue alone doesn't mean that TMNT 1990 was like this epitome of "gritty violence."I think the 1990 movie replicated the level of violence from the comics just right. I'm not sure how you could want a more faithful representation without the movie being unfaithful to the source material?

Andrew NDB
03-16-2017, 11:08 AM
I think the 1990 movie replicated the level of violence from the comics just right. I'm not sure how you could want a more faithful representation without the movie being unfaithful to the source material?

That's insane. Step 1: pull your head out of your ass. Next, rewatch TMNT 1990. Now re-read TMNT Vol. 1 #1 or #10 or the Leonardo special.

Yeah... very, very different sort of violence. TMNT 1990 is all "block-block-kick," with them barely KOing Foot Soldiers amidst camp, slapstick, and sight gags. In the comics they are stabbing, slicing and visibly murdering them.

ToTheNines
03-16-2017, 11:13 AM
I think the 1990 movie replicated the level of violence from the comics just right.

Perhaps.

Then again...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_j-8ozhwdf0/TvPA97vYBsI/AAAAAAAACdo/2_7nR7n29YI/s1600/20_TMNT_02.jpg

neatoman
03-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Sorry did you just say the opinions the co-creator of TMNT are meaningless? :o

He's talking about how the PD movies had "the darker edge of the comic books." according to Kevin Eastman, which is a rather odd thing to say seeing how they lacked any edge.

Hell, it wasn't even a toned down adaptation of the comics like the 1990 movie or the 4Kids cartoon, it was more like failed attempt to turn the Fred Wolf cartoon (an in name only adaptation) into a live-action series.

I think the 1990 movie replicated the level of violence from the comics just right. I'm not sure how you could want a more faithful representation without the movie being unfaithful to the source material?

Uhm... The movie's violence was rather cartoony compared to the comic's. Compare the apartment fight in both for a good example.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/8sBcNiGlFIXp0lXBAbI4qI7VNGojpqPDQyHsYqfLeOyT4lO5gk etJtKIVzyNawKo2wX1zSn_xP3b=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Jf4QTibWnkWQYGSL6V5gai2PH5HexKMCMA9184-M9fwXGkZ1SyKO4lfarxHCX33UTJRwJU5acQcQ=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/cPjZ2CQ5F7u_ll17_gZGTuwp6iyow6r3JmdQsGocIgS3U1ua3m uV-_1cXbi69ybkJoSlSilRuaz2=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Z6Cx7XT84bgs_a4nZPGnLUhG9fravKE9F1IiZ5exUYqhI_5FQl 00sZf9egl0mgFF3eCseairUDxw=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/n49lQkmI6G3wMLh_KIG4BwmmsQ4fbpIdbXxCt5_yqMheZ3-MXw4XsipMqBke37Eo_AzPT8s_rd3W=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/XmdqVFqu80l1QbUbngwNhSBG-iPtWaVqvpAQzTWLRPpVzlkp9RUdma4_PnC9tNJFnMctP-tqCDGW=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/9SGF3aDrtJ0HySAxg9L6eJ2raOVZGTxxrXmJEU3qaeBzTq-wsLcR8vBb-K1WTLZZkJD6CDWnbBxz=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/1u5g0Su40BJNgs2iOTruyOHWrj1wPMJjEjCkD19qm9rBJlwGzt Ylgac4i6DbfIZ1WFLEZX5Nl8Ga=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Purc6HvTMJRPuCCEkVxv4PvM4FGO3FQZwTE0LBe3KEMU8C9DeE 9Kbe-4dZT_RBzPoT0cWei4lRpy=s0

5pP18cBFaTY

But let's pretend the violence was on point, what else could be different to make it more accurate?

No Danny
Leave Nagi in there
April's profession
Tone down the way the turtles acted

Those are the big ones, I could add more.

sgtfbomb
03-16-2017, 11:39 AM
What if it was a precise recreation of the original Mirage series? What if the violence was there? What if April's profession was there? What if there was no Danny character?

Is that all it takes to make or break a TMNT movie? Being a 100% adaptation of the source material? What if everything else about it -- the score, the acting, the casting, the screenplay, the dialogue, the direction -- was terrible?

Andrew NDB
03-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Is that all it takes to make or break a TMNT movie? Being a 100% adaptation of the source material?

Not at all.

neatoman
03-16-2017, 11:56 AM
What if it was a precise recreation of the original Mirage series? What if the violence was there? What if April's profession was there? What if there was no Danny character?

Is that all it takes to make or break a TMNT movie? Being a 100% adaptation of the source material? What if everything else about it -- the score, the acting, the casting, the screenplay, the dialogue, the direction -- was terrible?

Being a good movie is of course the number one priority and a "precise recreation of the original Mirage series" would have a rather bizarre sequence of events, but why shouldn't someone strive to make what's both a more accurate adaptation and a good movie as well?

ToTheNines
03-16-2017, 12:00 PM

More violence woulda been nice. Mirage April would have been unnecessary, reporter worked for this story. I really wish Danny didn't exist. But I assume he was there for budget reasons, since the Turtle suits could be problematic and they wore out often.

If they had to keep the turtles' screen time in check, I sure would have liked a more Casey and April focused story than that little brat.

pferreira
03-23-2017, 11:39 AM
That's insane. Step 1: pull your head out of your ass. Next, rewatch TMNT 1990. Now re-read TMNT Vol. 1 #1 or #10 or the Leonardo special. Okay but if you pulled your head from your ass you'd see that was the best they could do without going overboard. As I said they did a pretty good job of replicating the story from the comics and maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall the Turtles killing anybody at least not humans.
Again your idea of what Turtles should be is different to what appeared in the comics, mostly anyway.

Uhm... The movie's violence was rather cartoony compared to the comic's. Compare the apartment fight in both for a good example.It was pretty accurate in style and tone. Obviously a lot of those images were difficult to replicate in the time they had but as a movie translation of the Mirage comic not bad at all.

neatoman
03-23-2017, 12:24 PM
It was pretty accurate in style and tone. Obviously a lot of those images were difficult to replicate in the time they had but as a movie translation of the Mirage comic not bad at all.

Where in the comic's version was the nunchaku contest, aquarium dipping or cymbal attack?

AquaParade
03-23-2017, 01:05 PM
While the movie isn't perfect, I never understood the issue with Danny. I thought he was a good way to give us a perspective on Saki's operation, as well as parallel his family issues with the turtles.

I never felt like he was the focus of the movie.

While I'm here, can I just say how much I love intro to this movie? Seeing Ninja's cruising around in the back of a van in grungy 90's New York is such a pleasure for me. The grainy look of the film, as well as the makeshit feel of The Foot's operation was another way the film captured the spirit of the comics for me, visually. Subtle but effective.

pferreira
03-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Where in the comic's version was the nunchaku contest, aquarium dipping or cymbal attack?Obviously they added that stuff as is the case with any movie adapted from a comic.

neatoman
03-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Obviously they added that stuff as is the case with any movie adapted from a comic.

That's not exactly the point, would those parts have meshed well if they were in the comic?

Hamato Yoshi
05-27-2017, 09:50 PM
So I guess it will be like Licence to Kill = with an edge and very little humor ;)

Hamato Yoshi
05-27-2017, 09:54 PM
Jaws was rated pretty much an 18 although this dropped over the years to a 12

I believe it was rated 15 in Norway.....Licence to Kill was prolly 15 , too.

neatoman
05-28-2017, 04:12 AM
I believe it was rated 15 in Norway.....Licence to Kill was prolly 15 , too.

This movie does not need a 15 age rating, why would anyone come to such an absurd conslusion? It is, at worst, pushing 7 to the limit. 11 almost seems far too much.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
05-28-2017, 04:18 AM
This movie does not need a 15 age rating, why would anyone come to such an absurd conslusion? It is, at worst, pushing 7 to the limit. 11 almost seems far too much.

As a child, I would watch a lot of ordinary action-adventure comedy films on video, somehow usually rated 15 in Sweden.

Candy Kappa
05-28-2017, 06:57 AM

its a recommended age limit, not enforced. The MPAA is more ridiculous of a system.

neatoman
05-28-2017, 07:14 AM
its a recommended age limit, not enforced. The MPAA is more ridiculous of a system.

Sure, I just don't get why this movie in particular gets that high of an age limit in the first place.

05-28-2017, 07:28 AM

In cinemas, ratings are enforced.

Candy Kappa
05-28-2017, 07:38 AM
Sure, I just don't get why this movie in particular gets that high of an age limit in the first place.

It's not a hard nut to crack, it's a kid's movie featuring the dreaded "karatesticks", plenty of fighting and Shredder was (until reconned by SotO) killed by being thrown off a building and crushed inside a garbage truck on purpose. And it had some swearing.

In cinemas, ratings are enforced.

Unless it's a adult movie, kids can have a age appropriate guardian accompany them.

05-28-2017, 07:41 AM
It's not a hard nut to crack, it's a kid's movie featuring the dreaded "karatesticks", plenty of fighting and Shredder was (until reconned by SotO) killed by being thrown off a building and crushed inside a garbage truck on purpose. And it had some swearing.

Unless it's a adult movie, kids can have a age appropriate guardian accompany them.

Yes. Also, most children don't go to cinemas alone anyway.

pferreira
06-01-2017, 09:52 AM

Unless it's a adult movie, kids can have a age appropriate guardian accompany them.The first movie is certainly a PG film although it's interesting to see how useless that rating has become, at least in the UK.

mikezilla2
08-09-2017, 06:35 AM
So Where dos this Topic Stand Now ?

***First of Two Latin Kings***
08-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Oh no, he's one of those guys who gouge people with batons XD

Is this a disparagement of the homosexual community? :tlol:

Powder
08-09-2017, 05:12 PM
So Where dos this Topic Stand Now ?

Nothing was ever gonna come of this & everyone knows it. He got $200 from a handful of fools, that's all.

sdp
08-09-2017, 11:29 PM
I don't understand all the negativity found in this thread, I think this actually has a chance of happening, we as a fandom need to stick together and back this project to make it happen. #backed #adultTMNT #wearemiragefans #krangrox

And for the haters and doubters, you clearly did not read the Risks and Challenges section, he clearly addresses all concerns here and has a plan.
Risks and challenges
1. Nickelodeon owns Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at the moment. To make the film, they would have to approve of this vision. Traditionally, their market is much younger, but I feel that the more than 80 million millennials out there would be compelling to them.

It is not my desire to alienate today's teenagers by making this film, but to introduce them to the turtles in a sophisticated manner. Though it will be violent and there may be some brief nudity, it will not step over the bounds of good taste and risk traumatizing youth. Rather, it should provide lessons about the challenge of becoming an adult which is a theme in my vision.

So, in the end, I hope to have the teenagers of 90s and today in theaters eating it up together.

2. Much of what is promised here is admittedly up in the air. There has been no meeting with Mark Cuban and there is no production company behind this yet. But, I have a strong and clear vision and the unwavering will to accomplish it. If there is a demand for this film, I believe I am the producer to put the necessary pieces together.

Andrew NDB
08-09-2017, 11:51 PM
While the movie isn't perfect, I never understood the issue with Danny. I thought he was a good way to give us a perspective on Saki's operation, as well as parallel his family issues with the turtles.

The issue is that troubled kids and even LITTLE kids are not compatible with the seamless sort of underworld Saki is supposed to be running in the source material.

What happens when Little Johnny goes and snitches on Big Bad Master Tatsu? The whole house of cards come down.

Wildcat
08-10-2017, 12:06 AM
I don't understand all the negativity found in this thread, I think this actually has a chance of happening, we as a fandom need to stick together and back this project to make it happen. #backed #adultTMNT #wearemiragefans #krangrox

And for the haters and doubters, you clearly did not read the Risks and Challenges section, he clearly addresses all concerns here and has a plan.Are you serious? Come on. I'd love to make a Sonic movie but I'm not gonna waste time trying to appoint myself as the "man for the job" to Sega.

His story could be great. That's not the point. He thinks, or thought anyway, he could get Nick to approve his idea for $20 million? This whole pitch was ridiculous. Nick was not gonna give him a dollar.

No one is going to take you seriously when all you've done is write fanfic to something you have no rights to. You can't squeeze your way into someone else's franchise.

Andrew NDB
08-10-2017, 12:19 AM
No one is going to take you seriously when all you've done is write fanfic to something you have no rights to. You can't squeeze your way into someone else's franchise.

No?

x0eP76Xn97A

Wildcat
08-10-2017, 12:22 AM
No?Isnt that just different people trying to do the same?

I saw that video before. Nothing came of it.