PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of the 40 Year Old Virgin?

Prowler
03-02-2017, 12:39 PM
You know, that movie starring Steve Carell and Seth Rogen. Carell plays a guy named Andy who is... well you've guessed it. a 40 year old man who still has his V-Card.

I think it was an surprisingly alright movie. Not exactly hysterical for a comedy, but it was a fun weekend movie. I've always wondered, though, how a guy like Andy who, iirc, was just someone who worked at an electronics store, could have such a nice house and have so many nice expensive action figures. He didn't seem to have a bad life for a man who was yet to do sexy time with a lady at the ripe age of 40.

Ofc it's just a movie at the end of the day and he ended up happier than what he was, but heh. This movie was a bit surprising to me, because I expected Andy to be ridiculed by others for being a middle aged virgin, but no, they actually helped him out. The thing is, he wasn't even very close to them. Early in the movie they found him a bit odd. Then he reveals he's a virgin and friendships were born out of that. Funny how things work, eh?

So how od you feel about this movie?

snake
03-02-2017, 12:49 PM
It's Cybercubed's life story.

Prowler
03-02-2017, 12:51 PM
It's Cybercubed's life story.
Oh please.

He's not even 40 yet.

ToTheNines
03-02-2017, 02:21 PM
It's one of my favorites ever. A great movie about male bonding, if you look past the typical Apatow-isms. It didn't really know how to end, and got pretty ridiculous during the bicycle chase scene, but still good. Awesome soundtrack too.

The core cast totally fit some of my group of friends, back when we were 20b or so. I was unfortunately Paul Rudd's miserable character lol. There's a Paul Rudd role for every phase of my life though lol.

Shark_Blade
03-02-2017, 05:27 PM
The speed dating scene with the woman talking callously whilst her boobs slowly spreading free is on my mind lately...wtf.

*hugs jacket closer to my chest*

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 02:01 AM
I would have gone for Kat Dennings over her mother.

It's a fun movie, although a lot of the humor is rather dated. Especially the dumb, "You know how I know you're so gay?" scenes. That wouldn't fly in a movie today. The other dumb stuff is playing Mortal Kombat Deception (a PS2/Gamecube/Xbox game) with an N64 controller...what the hell?

A lot of the stuff about grown men with toys/collectables also doesn't make sense anymore, a lot of adult men nowadays own stuff like that and it's not embarrassing anymore.

In any case Steve Carell makes the movie of course, he's awesome in anything.

Prowler
03-03-2017, 03:04 PM
I would have gone for Kat Dennings over her mother.

It's a fun movie, although a lot of the humor is rather dated. Especially the dumb, "You know how I know you're so gay?" scenes. That wouldn't fly in a movie today. The other dumb stuff is playing Mortal Kombat Deception (a PS2/Gamecube/Xbox game) with an N64 controller...what the hell?

A lot of the stuff about grown men with toys/collectables also doesn't make sense anymore, a lot of adult men nowadays own stuff like that and it's not embarrassing anymore.

In any case Steve Carell makes the movie of course, he's awesome in anything.
Movies tend to be like that with video games, I think. Seriously it's no big deal. I didn't even remember that small detail.

I wonder how many virgins aged 40 and close to ir are out there, tbh.

Also, this movie is from 2005 already, really? Thought it was from 2008 or 2009 for some reason.

Allio
03-03-2017, 03:31 PM
it will probably be my future...

I'm...

I think I'm going to use that "Bury yourself kit"

Prowler
03-03-2017, 04:03 PM

I'm...

How old are you? If you're in your early 20s then you still have lots of time to "fix" that.

CyberCubed
03-04-2017, 11:59 AM
What's weird is it seemed like Andy had a pretty good life. Before I saw this movie I assumed it'd be another one of those films where the main character still lives with his parents or has no job or something.

Instead he lives in a pretty big condo next to a swimming pool and you can see how huge his place is when they show all the rooms in the movie. His entire house is nice, clean and neat and he has nice furniture and all his action figures are placed nicely on the shelves.

He also worked in a typical Best Buy/electronics store and had a pretty decent job and gets promoted to floor manager as the film goes on. So he seemed pretty well off and I imagine he was making at least $15 an hour or something. So it's not like he was a loser or anything.

Prowler
03-04-2017, 01:00 PM
What's weird is it seemed like Andy had a pretty good life. Before I saw this movie I assumed it'd be another one of those films where the main character still lives with his parents or has no job or something.

Instead he lives in a pretty big condo next to a swimming pool and you can see how huge his place is when they show all the rooms in the movie. His entire house is nice, clean and neat and he has nice furniture and all his action figures are placed nicely on the shelves.

He also worked in a typical Best Buy/electronics store and had a pretty decent job and gets promoted to floor manager as the film goes on. So he seemed pretty well off and I imagine he was making at least $15 an hour or something. So it's not like he was a loser or anything.
True. He did seem a bit stiff/serious in the early part of the movie, though. So I guess he ended up happier than what he started as.

ToTheNines
03-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Yeah, Andy had it going on. But he was going to die alone.

I'd probably be ok with that if I could play video games and read comics all day though.

Prowler
03-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Yeah, Andy had it going on. But he was going to die alone.

I'd probably be ok with that if I could play video games and read comics all day though.
"Dying alone" is really subjective. If he one day died of a sudden stroke or heart attack on his way home it's not like him having a wife would make any difference. Also, who knows if his wife didn't die before him.

Really, "dying alone" doesn't scare me much. And yeah he had a nice home and lots of games and such, but how could he afford such a nice place and so much expensive sh*t as a mere floor manager?

CyberCubed
03-04-2017, 02:06 PM
A lot of older people do die alone because they get divorced and never re-marry.

Prowler
03-04-2017, 02:16 PM
A lot of older people do die alone because they get divorced and never re-marry.
Divorce rates are quite high nowadays, yeah.

Anyway, I believe this is a very common trope in movies, especially comedy ones. Guy has a boring/loserish life and then a couple of his friends try to help him out of it and then he ends up living happily forever.

ABrown
03-08-2017, 11:33 AM
I've never actually watched the entire movie from beginning to end. I really should though. It's got the hot girl with the big boobs from 2 Broke Girls (Kat Dennings) in it.

Metalwolf
03-09-2017, 09:56 AM

I'm...

How old are you? If you're in your early 20s then you still have lots of time to "fix" that.Losing it is overrated. In reality, it doesn't make your life or anything else any better or earn you any brownie points that count in real life. If anything some people even are disgusted with themselves for caving into the peer pressure.

Besides, if you are scared of being lonely, you likely won't be. I've known a lot more girls to go for the guys who haven't 'lost it' then for the ones that did. Why? It seems girls go for that 'innocence' (and the fact he's likely STD free) and the dudes I knew that kept it had girls crawling all over them. You lose it, you lose your chick magnet.

CyberCubed
03-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Also anyone find the Marvel superhero references odd for a movie that came out in 2005? Towards the end of the movie when his girlfriend asks him why they won't sleep together, she says, "Do you want me to dress up as Thor? I'll dress up as Thor. Or do you want me to be Iron Man? I can be Iron Man?" in an attempt to persuade him to finally sleep together.

The thing is this movie came out in 2005, way before the Marvel movie universe started in 2008 with the first Iron Man. The Avengers were completely obscure characters outside of comic book fans in 2005. How many people even got this reference in 2005?

Candy Kappa
03-09-2017, 12:47 PM
I know I've seen it, but I can't remember anything of it.

ssjup81
03-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Also anyone find the Marvel superhero references odd for a movie that came out in 2005? Towards the end of the movie when his girlfriend asks him why they won't sleep together, she says, "Do you want me to dress up as Thor? I'll dress up as Thor. Or do you want me to be Iron Man? I can be Iron Man?" in an attempt to persuade him to finally sleep together.

The thing is this movie came out in 2005, way before the Marvel movie universe started in 2008 with the first Iron Man. The Avengers were completely obscure characters outside of comic book fans in 2005. How many people even got this reference in 2005?The comic books existed long before the films did..

Prowler
03-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Losing it is overrated. In reality, it doesn't make your life or anything else any better or earn you any brownie points that count in real life. If anything some people even are disgusted with themselves for caving into the peer pressure.

Besides, if you are scared of being lonely, you likely won't be. I've known a lot more girls to go for the guys who haven't 'lost it' then for the ones that did. Why? It seems girls go for that 'innocence' (and the fact he's likely STD free) and the dudes I knew that kept it had girls crawling all over them. You lose it, you lose your chick magnet.
Ofc it doesn't turn you into a completely different person. It's not a big deal at all, hence why older virgins are considered "weird" by many, since they can't seem to get something that most people can. People don't have a problem with virginity per se but the possible underlying causes that might have led a person of a certain age to remain a virgin. It's usually correlated with lack of self confidence and/or shyness.