PDA

View Full Version : New Show coming in 2018

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]

Papenbrook
07-03-2018, 03:20 AM
Wait- I thought Mr. Suriano said that Leonardo would be the second oldest (or something similar to that).

On Leo: "so far Leo hasn't been able to really be a teenager because he is always the leader" so they made him second.

newfan
07-03-2018, 03:23 AM
Wait- I thought Mr. Suriano said that Leonardo would be the second oldest (or something similar to that).

Edit: I took that quote to be 2nd leadership- wise not certain though.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-03-2018, 03:47 AM

I believe he meant that Leonardo would be Second in Command as a leader whenever Raph is not available.

Papenbrook
07-03-2018, 04:07 AM
Oh. Well, my apologies.

Anyways, here's some info that concerns Rise's musical score. (http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2018/06/rise-of-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles_23.html?m=1)

Matt is a multi-instrumentalist, multi-platinum record producer, Emmy Award and Annie Award nominated composer, best known for his band Self. Prior to RTMNT, he wrote and composed original music for soundtracks of Nickelodeon's Ni Hao, Kai-Lan (in which he also served as a musical voice director) and Sanjay and Craig, as well as for Nickelodeon Movies' Fun Size film.

Wherever the music team comes in, however, the nature of the job means that composers on an animated series are, by necessity, usually confined to a fairly narrow brief, although within that most are afforded relative freedom. Matt Mahaffey, who is currently working on a score for Nickelodeon’s upcoming Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, says everyone has been “very open to letting me put my own stink on it,” although he acknowledges that his role is to “support the story and support what’s going on on-screen.”

Sometimes, achieving the desired sound requires reaching for an unusual instrument, or even objects that aren’t technically instruments at all. Although only a few episodes into Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Mahaffey has already managed to incorporate a set of car keys, which he’s used as a shaker (“You can make a shaker out of anything but I think car keys have a really unique jangle to them,” he says nonchalantly) and has also sampled crinkled paper, which is, apparently, “very bright sounding.”

Coola Yagami
07-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Kinda hope Raph stays leader for a few seasons for the sake of something different.

Papenbrook
07-03-2018, 09:32 AM
* [Disclaimer: Take this with a grain of salt!] *

It looks like we have the first episode's title.

Mystic Mayhem:
The Turtles discover for the first time that they are not the weirdest things in New York.

I was googling "Rise of the TMNT" when I found this under the Episodes list.

LeotheLateBloomer
07-03-2018, 09:44 AM

When did they ever say that Leo is younger than Don? Was this something some of you got from wiki or was this officially said?

Vicky82
07-03-2018, 09:50 AM
New video on Mikey

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkxV0tDlHM3/

newfan
07-03-2018, 10:12 AM
I can see the show's is younger and comedic description.
Safe assumption there will be videos for the others too?

IndigoErth
07-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Someone lurking on my comment that we haven't known much about Mikey yet? lol (I know, it's just a coincidence, esp that soon.)

Won't play for me... Too bad it's not also on Youtube.

He's always been smug
But on that note, when have they not all been that way with each other sometimes?

I'd consider it more typical of his actual personality if he acted that way toward other allies/other people besides his siblings, but he doesn't generally do that. (Not counting purposely taunting an enemy.)

A little smugness now and again is also rather different than the cockiness this version seems to be aiming for.

Leonardo2003
07-03-2018, 02:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7us3PyTvYw

Video of the Rise Turtles at vid con.. a lot of snippets of brand new scenes.

CyberCubed
07-03-2018, 02:35 PM
The animation looks pretty good in motion.

Papenbrook
07-03-2018, 02:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7us3PyTvYw

Video of the Rise Turtles at vid con.. a lot of snippets of brand new scenes.

Here's the vid in question.

s7us3PyTvYw

Leonardo2003
07-03-2018, 03:01 PM

s7us3PyTvYw

Some ultimate cringe from the youth of America, but I thought the clips shown were pretty good. Not much kid comedy, a lot of fun lines. And the Mikey video had great action movements.

IndigoErth
07-03-2018, 03:09 PM
Nick (and others like Disney) could not possibly be hiring more annoying people these days. And some odd looking kids at that.

2:36 - Fan since the first movie came out when he was really little? What the hell is he even talking about? I just looked him up, he's frigging 17. Way to lie about it, kid, or come across like any kind of actual fan.

Powder
07-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Some ultimate cringe from the youth of America

Understatement of the year. :tlol:

But yeah, the actual clips of animation look great. Looks like the humor is gonna be hella corny, but if it's in a self-aware sorta way, then that's fine.

marcelangelo
07-03-2018, 04:12 PM
cringeworthy ooooh yeah:)
obviously the team taping this video was handing out lines to say and make it seem like its the young people's opinion, but whatever...

the animation itself is much to my liking I have to say.I am curious for the show..
like the action scenes..also the michelangelo video was koool..
that scene where the turtles spot these clothes in that shop (?) was looking really nice! I liked mike's eyes and leonardo was looking allrigth there as well..

CyberCubed
07-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Looks like Mikey will be using his grappling hook again for most of it. Although I suspect all the Turtles will get their classic weapons as it progresses, particularly Raph and Leo will get a second katana.

Papenbrook
07-03-2018, 04:28 PM

s7us3PyTvYw

That was cringe-booty. :sweatdro:

On the brightside, the animation was smoothie. :anime:

Leonardo2003
07-03-2018, 06:08 PM
* [Disclaimer: Take this with a grain of salt!] *

It looks like we have the first episode's title.

I was googling "Rise of the TMNT" when I found this under the Episodes list.

What’s weird to me is that under that short episode description, it says air date: July 27th, 2018, which is a month and a half early.

Dejablue
07-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Ignoring the live action parts because they feel so cringey. The animation doesn't look bad. Looks...about what I expected but a little better.

Ninjinister
07-03-2018, 07:38 PM
I think they're an insider.

Where are all of these internet randos getting their connections?

CyberCubed
07-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Ignoring the live action parts because they feel so cringey. The animation doesn't look bad. Looks...about what I expected but a little better.

I dare say that even Splinter didn't look that bad in that one scene in the clip. That original art release of him did no favors, but in the actual series he may not look too bad.

I think people have also often forgotten that Splinter is almost always shorter than the Turtles, they may just have gotten too used to 2012 Splinter who was the only one taller than them.

IndigoErth
07-04-2018, 09:36 AM
I doubt his shortness is the issue, or that anyone who existed for TMNT prior to 2012 has forgotten.

shredder orokusaki
07-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Another new trailer and still it dosent show me and my henchmen! GRRR!!!

Vegita-San
07-04-2018, 11:22 AM
there are some weird looking people at whatever this vid con thing is.

ugh. it so looks like the new show will be turtles mixed with teen titans go. especially that helmet looking at scene.

about the only compliment i can give is that the animation at least LOOKS smooth. not that crappy flash animation they used for the 80s crossover.

I feel like 'raph' will be my least favorite voice actor. it doesn't even sound like he's trying. he's just shatnering his way through it.

Vegita-San
07-04-2018, 11:24 AM
What’s weird to me is that under that short episode description, it says air date: July 27th, 2018, which is a month and a half early.

maybe they are getting worried a bout all the bad reactions and want to get it out there faster? must be confident in it.

Leonardo2003
07-04-2018, 01:25 PM
maybe they are getting worried a bout all the bad reactions and want to get it out there faster? must be confident in it.

There hasn’t even been any commercials on Nickelodeon’s regular TV blocks for Rise yet, there’s no way it’s debuting in 3 weeks. September for sure.

CyberCubed
07-04-2018, 02:20 PM
I feel like 'raph' will be my least favorite voice actor. it doesn't even sound like he's trying. he's just shatnering his way through it.

A lot of cartoon voice actors take a while to settle into their roles. This is the first season, probably the first eps they recorded are in those clips. Like any animated show, voice actors improve once they settle into their roles and the series progresses.

Dejablue
07-04-2018, 02:30 PM
I dare say that even Splinter didn't look that bad in that one scene in the clip. That original art release of him did no favors, but in the actual series he may not look too bad.

I think people have also often forgotten that Splinter is almost always shorter than the Turtles, they may just have gotten too used to 2012 Splinter who was the only one taller than them.

Lol it has nothing to do with his height. But he does look better now. When we first saw that promo art he was by far the ugliest thing on it. Maybe we have simply gotten used to the design. I have seen fanart that makes the design look pretty good.

Papenbrook
07-05-2018, 03:40 AM

There's a (somewhat) reasonable explanation for that. (http://mikeyandpizza.tumblr.com)

Correct! Turtle Power! Google has revealed that the first episode of Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be titled “Mystic Mayhem”! In the episode, the Turtles discover for the first time that they are not the weirdest things in New York. Google is listing that this episode will be airing on Friday 27th July 2018, however, Nickelodeon USA isn’t slated to debut Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so this could mean that YTV will be airing the first episode as a sneak-peek! It could also mean that Nick USA will also be airing a sneak-peek on the same day! Stay tuned for more updates!

ICYMI: YTV will be airing a Turtley Awesome sneak-peek of Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Friday 27th July 2018 at 5:00 PM ET/PT!

FredWolfLeonardo
07-05-2018, 03:43 AM
Fingers crossed that the leak is true.

plastroncafe
07-05-2018, 07:16 AM
I can't imagine they will wait much longer after sdcc to release the first episode.

neatoman
07-05-2018, 09:52 AM
So... What then? The mystic stuff doesn't tie in to their origin?

Fingers crossed that the leak is true.

What leak?

FredWolfLeonardo
07-05-2018, 11:09 AM
What leak?

The info on MikeyandPizza's Tumblr that the first episode will air on Juky 27th. I couldn't find any offical source for it.

Leonardo2003
07-05-2018, 12:30 PM
The info on MikeyandPizza's Tumblr that the first episode will air on Juky 27th. I couldn't find any offical source for it.

https://www.ytv.com/home/rise-of-the-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/

I guess this is a Canadian Nickelodeon channel. Not too sure

Papenbrook
07-05-2018, 12:58 PM
So... What then? The mystic stuff doesn't tie in to their origin?

I'm ... not so sure. :ohwell:

I guess the Turtles won't have any explanation as to how they came to be.

sdp
07-05-2018, 04:57 PM
I'm guessing they'll have a sneak peak of the 1st epiosde at SDCC the week before.

Vicky82
07-06-2018, 10:34 AM
New video of Raph

https://www.facebook.com/teenagemutantninjaturtles/videos/1821657524539837/

Lol looks like Raph will be eating gross things in this version.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-06-2018, 11:44 AM
That was great. Raphael's willingness to eat anything most likely accounts alot for why he's so much bigger than his brothers :lol:

KillCrites
07-06-2018, 11:44 AM
You can see Raph with his sais near beginning of the video

Ashwolf
07-06-2018, 11:59 AM
well, after watching that, i have a bit more appreciation for rise donny and leo.... although still unsure about rise overall.

IndigoErth
07-06-2018, 12:01 PM
That was great. Raphael's willingness to eat anything most likely accounts alot for why he's so much bigger than his brothers :lol:
Well, he's also a larger species too.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Well, he's also a larger species too.

A combination of Nature and Nurture.

This Raphael seems the most-easy going and happy go lucky to me so far.

neatoman
07-06-2018, 12:28 PM
New video of Raph

Any actual show clip that has been shown so far looks rather choppy. I'm a bit worried that the animation is going to look kind of rushed in general.

You can see Raph with his sais near beginning of the video
I'm gonna guess that he'll either switch to Sais later in the season, or that he'll use switch between them and the Tonfas on a regular basis. I suspect that most changes here are designed to be reversable in case they're negatively received.

KillCrites
07-06-2018, 01:09 PM
I'm gonna guess that he'll either switch to Sais later in the season, or that he'll use switch between them and the Tonfas on a regular basis. I suspect that most changes here are designed to be reversable in case they're negatively received.
I can't see why they would have him change between tonfas and sais, I think that once they all get their classic weapons they'll keep them the rest of the show.

Xiewin
07-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Oh my goodness, what's the obsession with turning Raph and Mikey into morons? :roll:

Donnie and Leo's character are lucky that they are safe from such changes. Because this is just ridiculous.

neatoman
07-06-2018, 01:28 PM
I can't see why they would have him change between tonfas and sais, I think that once they all get their classic weapons they'll keep them the rest of the show.

I'm leaning towards that as well.

CyberCubed
07-06-2018, 02:31 PM
So Raph does have his sai's after all, I guess people freaking out over his sai's being replaced was for nothing. I agree with others he'll probably alternate between the two, since the powers probably only come from the tonfa's.

As for the humor, I don't think it's Raph being stupid, it's just typical silly kids humor.

Papenbrook
07-06-2018, 02:46 PM
I'm sure that Raphael will be a meaningful character. :)

Now, I'm wondering what they'll show for Donnie (The "Adrenaline Junkie") and Leo (The "Trickster").

Leonardo2003
07-06-2018, 02:55 PM
I'm sure that Raphael will be a meaningful character. :)

Now, I'm wondering what they'll show for Donnie (The "Adrenaline Junkie") and Leo (The "Trickster").

Can’t wait to see those. They saved the best 2 for last.

KillCrites
07-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Something I noticed while taking screenshots of the new video https://image.ibb.co/cBvySJ/IMG_20180706_174715.jpg
there are 2 Raphs in this shot

DevilSpooky
07-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Something I noticed while taking screenshots of the new video https://image.ibb.co/cBvySJ/IMG_20180706_174715.jpg
there are 2 Raphs in this shot

There's also two of whatever it is that is talking to him. Probably just a close up of them over the overall action.

IndigoErth
07-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Weird! Although in the background image his posture is lower and the angle turned so his shoulder blocks part of his face, like it's a different moment in the fight, so... My vote is being a frame between an oddly done transition.

CyberCubed
07-06-2018, 04:23 PM
A lot of the new mutants looks like bugs/roaches, unless this is all the same particular mutant.

Vicky82
07-06-2018, 04:25 PM
http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2018/07/nickelodeon-usa-to-air-first-episode-of.html

Nickelodeon USA to Air First Episode of 'Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' on Friday 20th July 2018

Cowabunga! To celebrate Nickelodeon premiering Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the network's brand-new 2D-animated series which reimagines the iconic characters of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in a fresh new way, in September 2018, Nick USA will be airing the very first episode of Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a Turtley Awesome sneak-peek on Friday 20th July 2018 at 9:30 PM (ET/PT), following Nickelodeon's Kids' Choice Sports 2018 at 8:00 PM (ET/PT)!

In the very first episode of Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, "Mystic Mayhem", the Turtles discover for the first time that they are not the weirdest things in New York!

Following the US airing of the sneak-peek, YTV in Canada will also air the first episode a week later, on Friday 27th July 2018 at 5:00 PM ET/PT!

Papenbrook
07-06-2018, 04:26 PM
One of the better shots of Leonardo:

https://78.media.tumblr.com/4e64d603551d17d87bdaf1fe4ea7d8ef/tumblr_inline_pbazsoraAf1ryaut3_1280.jpg (http://zimmertw.tumblr.com/)

By the way, Meat Sweats can multiply himself.

Edit: Wow, they're airing the pilot THAT early?

They must really be that desperate.

CyberCubed
07-06-2018, 04:35 PM
They're desperate because they're airing a pilot early? They do that with shows all the time.

IndigoErth
07-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Wow, it really is coming early, and sooner even than that other date predicted. Guess that date wasn't really entirely wrong after all, just not quite set in stone. (edit: Ohhh wait... that 27th was the Canada date...I see.)

Well, I still don't look forward to some of their dumb ideas I can't stand, but I at least look forward (I guess?) to seeing what this hot mess is. At the very least hopefully in a guilty pleasure kind of way.

Are not all countries seeing it? :ohwell: I'd wondered if the premier would be the same for all, but now with this... But maybe it'll get leaked for everyone else.

Powder
07-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Looks hilarious.

neatoman
07-06-2018, 04:47 PM
One of the better shots of Leonardo:

https://78.media.tumblr.com/4e64d603551d17d87bdaf1fe4ea7d8ef/tumblr_inline_pbazsoraAf1ryaut3_1280.jpg (http://zimmertw.tumblr.com/)

By the way, Meat Sweats can multiply himself.

Edit: Wow, they're airing the pilot THAT early?

They must really be that desperate.

Looks like a diaper.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-06-2018, 06:12 PM
So excited, only 2 weeks to go :)

CyberCubed
07-06-2018, 06:36 PM
The first episode of every TMNT cartoon tends to be good, so hopefully the same here.

Ashwolf
07-06-2018, 11:28 PM
Weird! Although in the background image his posture is lower and the angle turned so his shoulder blocks part of his face, like it's a different moment in the fight, so... My vote is being a frame between an oddly done transition.

Well, whatever the case, hopefully it gets cleaned up before airing

Papenbrook
07-07-2018, 07:00 AM
I can't wait to see how Little Lee-Lee will be represented! :D

The show might contain elements of augmented reality. (https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/nickelodeon-entertainment-lab-behind-the-scenes-1202668898/)

TigerClaw
07-07-2018, 07:31 PM
The 1st Episode of Rise of the TMNT will air on Friday July 20th on Nickelodeon.
https://nickalive.blogspot.com/2018/07/nickelodeon-usa-to-air-first-episode-of.html

Leonardo2003
07-07-2018, 08:51 PM
The 1st Episode of Rise of the TMNT will air on Friday July 20th on Nickelodeon.
https://nickalive.blogspot.com/2018/07/nickelodeon-usa-to-air-first-episode-of.html

Posted yesterday a page back in the thread.

Raph's Girl
07-07-2018, 08:59 PM
Something I've noticed with the profiles for each turtle in this new series. They're not the same ages. Raph's the oldest at 15, Leo and Don are 14, and Mikey is 13. This confuses me as they are generally mutated at the same time. But with a 2 year age gap...when were they mutated??

FredWolfLeonardo
07-07-2018, 09:07 PM
I guess their age consists of both their post and pre-Mutation years.

Leonardo2003
07-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Something I've noticed with the profiles for each turtle in this new series. They're not the same ages. Raph's the oldest at 15, Leo and Don are 14, and Mikey is 13. This confuses me as they are generally mutated at the same time. But with a 2 year age gap...when were they mutated??

I’m guessing they are going by the true, pre-mutation birthdays. That is the only way to do it, because I can’t see them being mutated years apart from one another.

IndigoErth
07-08-2018, 02:37 AM
Yeah, that's kind of what I was assuming anyhow, that their ages vary pre-mutation. No reason mutation would for some reason change that, as if the mutagen could somehow know their ages and reset it. That it probably would not is kind of supported by Splinter not reversing in age back to a teen considering he typically mutates along with them at the same time.

Not the first time varying ages have been done. Such as the profiles of the card backs for the original basic figures back in the day, with Leo at 16, Donnie and Raph at 15, and Mikey surprisingly at 15 1/2.

But then, those profiles also suggest separate far away pet stores (likewise killing the being brothers by blood) so someone must have gone on a pet Turtle collecting road trip. lol I'd like to see 'Rise' try to explain it away with the different species though...

Papenbrook
07-08-2018, 06:16 AM
I hope that Mr. Suriano knows what he's doing.

I wouldn't want to witness a haphazardly-done attribute, especially one that could easily be done incorrectly.

Vicky82
07-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Rise episodes will be on Google play.

I'm not posting the link.

KillCrites
07-09-2018, 10:33 AM
It's been 3 days since the Raph video, I hope we get the Donnie or Leo one later today

Leonardo2003
07-09-2018, 12:48 PM
Rise episodes will be on Google play.

I'm not posting the link.

https://play.google.com/store/tv/show?id=23653A5C526A7B34SH&cdid=tvseason-A538D9AD42A0D6C6SE&gdid=tvepisode-2EAE7DE25134E941EP

It has two episode spots for the season so far, episode 1, on July 27th. And episode 4, on September 20th.

Papenbrook
07-09-2018, 01:21 PM
It's been 3 days since the Raph video, I hope we get the Donnie or Leo one later today

I doubt that, unfortunately. :ohwell:

It'll probably be released tomorrow.

Leonardo2003
07-09-2018, 02:07 PM
I doubt that, unfortunately. :ohwell:

It'll probably be released tomorrow.

Turtle Tuesday, man!!! :lol:

Shellington
07-09-2018, 03:19 PM
New video on Mikey

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkxV0tDlHM3/
And I thought 2012 Mikey was the most childish..

New video of Raph

Cannibal Raph. Damn.

IndigoErth
07-09-2018, 04:40 PM
To be fair, he's only a cannibal if he eats another snapper of the same species he originated from. :trazz: Eating his own brothers this time wouldn't even be cannibalism, technically speaking... rather just familicide.

But on the other hand, I guess he'll eat anything and outdo Mikey with the gross pizzas. He'll never let any old gross leftover from the fridge go to waste!

Vicky82
07-09-2018, 10:31 PM
And I thought 2012 Mikey was the most childish..

Well of course he's going to be more childish than 2012 Mikey, he's only 13 years old.

Vegita-San
07-10-2018, 06:55 AM
I'll be SHOCKED if this mess of a show lasts one season.

KillCrites
07-10-2018, 07:10 AM

I'll be shocked if it doesn't get more than one season because it looks phenomenal

plastroncafe
07-10-2018, 08:13 AM
the only thing I've seen thus far that I don't find workable is splinters design. But I felt the exact same way about the first Nick Too, and he ended up being my favorite incarnation of Splinter.

So I'm more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

newfan
07-10-2018, 09:56 AM
As said before, so long as kids like it and also want the toys it should succeed.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2018, 09:59 AM
the only thing I've seen thus far that I don't find workable is splinters design. But I felt the exact same way about the first Nick Too, and he ended up being my favorite incarnation of Splinter.

So I'm more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

What'd you have against 2k12 Splinter's design? Too tall?

Vicky82
07-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Here's the Leo Video

https://www.instagram.com/tmnt/

newfan
07-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Here's the Leo Video

trying to figure my words, I'll wait for you Indigo. :)

Edit: Okay, It's what I kind of expected, the humour to go with the show so he suits it.

Papenbrook
07-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Here's the Leo Video

Now, all of us have to wait for Don's vid.

IndigoErth
07-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Is it for the best that Instagram videos hate me and won't play? lol (They used to... Or at least the Nick ones don't anymore.) Post to YouTube, Nick. :roll:

Leofan26
07-10-2018, 10:28 AM
UGH His one liners make me want to cringe so much, hope over time those go away. Other than I got no issues with this Leo, he's still pretty bad ass I just hope he steps into being a leader in the season one final.

Vegita-San
07-10-2018, 10:32 AM
who would have thought the mess the 2k12 series became would probably be the best we'd get out of nick turtles?

I don't see it getting any better from here folks. sigh.

Papenbrook
07-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Is it for the best that Instagram videos hate me and won't play? lol (They used to... Or at least the Nick ones don't anymore.) Post to YouTube, Nick. :roll:

It's up on Facebook. (https://m.facebook.com/teenagemutantninjaturtles/)

My favorite part is when he's punched.

LeotheLateBloomer
07-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Here's the Leo Video

Wow! That was just....bad. That shot where he gets socked in the faced sums up my view of him.:lol:

Vegita-San
07-10-2018, 11:16 AM
you could almost hear the voice actor right next to the mic as he tries those 'walla' grunt lines too....

it doesn't sound like a character at all. just some random guy next to a mic.

Ashwolf
07-10-2018, 11:34 AM
The 1st line wasnt bad but the rest.... so freaking lame. They sound more like mikey than anything.... Honestly prefer the 03 and 2012 versions of leo, i just hope that its at least balanced out by the combat scenes.

~~~EDIT~~~

Happened to notice this while watching the clip. Put in spoilers cause of size.

Also, leo does get his twin katana at some point as well.

https://i.imgur.com/KbvXNIv.png

sdp
07-10-2018, 11:50 AM
I like Leo so far. I'm guessing the villains are going to be pretty 1 note without much depth based on what I'm seeing, it'll focus on the turtles, comedy and quick action.

I'll be shocked if it doesn't get more than one season because it looks phenomenal

Whether you like it or not the show has all the things to be hated by both hardcore and casual fans of all ages. It may get a second season since they're likely invested in the product enough for it to last and see if it hits its stride but I don't know if it can last longer than that.

Papenbrook
07-10-2018, 12:10 PM
New vid is up on YTB.

6EIP1t_zSo0

Wow, what the cringe?

IndigoErth
07-10-2018, 12:33 PM
I just...

I will start with a compliment... action scene animation looks decent and kind of liking much of it in this clip thingy. (Non-action scenes... eh. It just looks so... basic.)

That said... throughout this franchise, I never wish to, want to, nor be made to ever feel that it's funny to see Leo punched in the face. This is just sad. It's similar to how 2014 made me resent the makers for making him feel creepy in the film when he threw his arm around not-April and was all like "Heeeeey... glad you could make it" and I felt like siding with her against him subconsciously saying, "Bitch, run." Right, that guy... Who wouldn't think twice of battling through the darkest, most evil corners of the world a thousand miles deep to try to save your ass if you were a friend. And has such a heart of gold that he unfortunately would never let himself live it down if he failed to get to you in time. And now... we turn him into this and they make it "funny" that their overhaul of him and their bad dialogue makes it funny that Leo getting punched in the face at least made him shut up. :ohwell:

This one however wouldn't even notice your ass was in trouble, seeing how he can't even notice that an enemy is about to slug him in the face when he stops to make some remark. Lack of basic situational awareness... soooo ninja-like. (Youth is just barely an excuse here. If you can't keep focus then go the hell home, you ain't ready.)

So... is he purposely being played as obnoxious so things can happen to him and the audience will think it's a good thing? I hope he (AND the writers of this) quickly outgrow the obnoxiousness. He's like an exaggerated boardwalk caricature of Leo came to life.

And really, am I the only one that gets a mild Flynn Rider (Tangled) vibe? I like Flynn, he's a top fave from Disney, but I don't want Leo to BE Flynn. It's jarring to see Leo exhibiting a similar vibe and don't care of it. Leo is my #1 fictional guy, and Flynn in comparison is just a runner up with some room between...

The "all washed up" joke and the way its delivered would have been mildly funny via a character like Flynn or in some other non-TMNT show. From Leo? It's just kind of annoying... And too forced? Mikey should certainly be saying it, given that it's more in his nature to make witty observations and stop to make a joke.

Side note - For those that enjoy it because "it's different," well, more power to you... And Leo fans that do...I don't understand you, but I suppose people's attachments to characters and for what reasons vary, so to each their own and no hard feelings for liking it. (So long as this nonsense is one and done with this series and doesn't leach into other versions.)

Hoping that if Leo calms the hell down and the show pulls what people think it's going to, that it'll be better later on if/when he isn't played for such an ass.

newhire13
07-10-2018, 12:44 PM
UGH His one liners make me want to cringe so much, hope over time those go away. Other than I got no issues with this Leo, he's still pretty bad ass I just hope he steps into being a leader in the season one final.

Yeah but to be fair, they’re supposed to be lame/cringe worthy. I’m guessing he’s the ‘not as cool as he thinks he is’ type.

KillCrites
07-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Whether you like it or not the show has all the things to be hated by both hardcore and casual fans of all ages. It may get a second season since they're likely invested in the product enough for it to last and see if it hits its stride but I don't know if it can last longer than that.
Except this show is for a new generation of Turtles fans, not people already acquainted with the franchise. And I've seen a lot of interest in this series within the animation community from people who aren't even fans of the franchise. I think that this show is going to surprise a lot of people.

Vegita-San
07-10-2018, 12:53 PM
i kind of think this is how the mirage fans felt when they first saw the original series premiered for the first time.

I understand even more now. although to be fair, at least the original series tried ot have some sense of realism and heart :).

Dejablue
07-10-2018, 12:58 PM
I notice most nay sayers of this show are Leo fans. Who here tho has Raph as their favorite turtle? How do you feel about him? And how do you feel about all the Leo fans demanding that Raph lose the position of leader instead of earning it?

Vegita-San
07-10-2018, 01:01 PM
yeah, but will those new fans stick with it for 30 years, or just this one iteration?

that's the risk you take when trying to appeal to a whole new generation of people. when you change a show so much, it might as well be something else....you risk the core fans forever.

although some companies seem ok with that these days, so long as new fans come in every reboot.

Xiewin
07-10-2018, 02:00 PM
I notice most nay sayers of this show are Leo fans. Who here tho has Raph as their favorite turtle? How do you feel about him? And how do you feel about all the Leo fans demanding that Raph lose the position of leader instead of earning it?

Raphael is bad too. They made him an idiot in this version. I have been dissatisfied with Raph's portrayal since 2003, with the exception of 2k7. So all this frustration over whether a character is being treated correctly is normal for me.

Dejablue
07-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Raphael is bad too. They made him an idiot in this version. I have been dissatisfied with Raph's portrayal since 2003, with the exception of 2k7. So all this frustration over whether a character is being treated correctly is normal for me.

How do you want him to be portrayed?

CyberCubed
07-10-2018, 02:13 PM
It's pretty different to how Nick Leo was more down to earth and nerdy but still a leader. I guess we'll see this Leo grow into being a leader as the series progresses.

Xiewin
07-10-2018, 02:17 PM
How do you want him to be portrayed?

More depth concerning his anger issues. It's one of the biggest reasons why I came to like the character. I'll be nice to go back to something similar to like the mirage or the 1990 film where his anger was associated with loneliness, borderline depression and being secluded from society until death. Getting tired of this I'm angry because I'm macho stereotype stuff.

2k3 was too grouchy and one dimensional. 2k12 was kind of useless and inconsistently angry for no apparent reason. For 2018, well you know, I've said it multiple times lol.

So I can't blame any Leo fan for feeling frustrated, it's not fun seeing a character you like not being used properly.

Dejablue
07-10-2018, 02:24 PM
More depth concerning his anger issues. It's one of the biggest reasons why I came to like the character. I'll be nice to go back to something similar to like the mirage or the 1990 film where his anger was associated with loneliness, borderline depression and being secluded from society until death. Getting tired of this I'm angry because I'm macho stereotype stuff.

2k3 was too grouchy and one dimensional. 2k12 was kind of useless and inconsistently angry for no apparent reason. For 2018, well you know, I've said it multiple times lol.

So I can't blame any Leo fan for feeling frustrated, it's not fun seeing a character you like not being used properly.

Lol I'll admit Raphael is a goldmine for anyone who is willing to even attempt writing an indepth turtles story. Well they all are but Raph especially.

IndigoErth
07-10-2018, 02:28 PM
Pretty sure that's my final word on this.... thing.
I dunno, we've got a looooong way to go.

I notice most nay sayers of this show are Leo fans. Who here tho has Raph as their favorite turtle? How do you feel about him?
Yeah, I'm curious to hear more from those on his side. I'd kind of expected the majority of Raph fans to be totally all for it, and of course some are, but what I've seen of comments from people elsewhere online they've kind of surprised me really. (Though it's hard to tell to what level those people are fans.)

But... silver lining? If some of Raph's people aren't quite feeling the changes either, then his and some/many of Leo's people finally have something in common? lol The cynical part of me is kind of curious about what all we will have to hate together down the road. lol

And how do you feel about all the Leo fans demanding that Raph lose the position of leader
Personally, there is no demanding, per se. Do I want him keeping the job? No. (Esp since Leo has been made kind of unnecessary other than having a magic portal sword.) But I think it's pretty terrible that they may throw Raph under the bus to do it. I hope not, but a wacky, simpleminded show like this doesn't really have the air of one that would try to be too complex or creative with the transition.

instead of earning it?
And that part, the way they've set this up, bugs me. He didn't earn it, he just took it because he's supposedly now the biggest and oldest. So the whole idea with this one (or so most of us assume now) is that this show is making Leo earn it... Which in and of itself I have no problem with, but if he has to earn it, then why didn't Raph?

It would have been better to have Raph actually earn it first, but then a bit more down the road Leo naturally ends up showing to have a better talent for leading, strategy, etc. But too complex for a show of this era I guess.

Other series also kind of make it obvious that due to his personality, seriousness about training and all that he has gained from it, etc., Leo already did in fact earn it off screen before the start of the series. At least in the parts of the franchise I'm most familiar with, he hasn't ever taken it just because he's "oldest." (Although 2012 was kind of lazy about it in the beginning. At least Splinter put more substance to it much later.)

Dejablue
07-10-2018, 02:32 PM
I dunno, we've got a looooong way to go.

Yeah, I'm curious to hear more from those on his side. I'd kind of expected the majority of Raph fans to be totally all for it, and of course some are, but what I've seen of comments from people elsewhere online they've kind of surprised me really. (Though it's hard to tell to what level those people are fans.)

But... silver lining? If some of Raph's people aren't quite feeling the changes either, then his and some/many of Leo's people finally have something in common? lol The cynical part of me is kind of curious about what all we will have to hate together down the road. lol

Personally, there is no demanding, per se. Do I want him keeping the job? No. (Esp since Leo has been made kind of unnecessary other than having a magic portal sword.) But I think it's pretty terrible that they may throw Raph under the bus to do it. I hope not, but a wacky, simpleminded show like this doesn't really have the air of one that would try to be too complex or creative with the transition.

And that part, the way they've set this up, bugs me. He didn't earn it, he just took it because he's supposedly now the biggest and oldest. So the whole idea with this one (or so most of us assume now) is that this show is making Leo earn it... Which in and of itself I have no problem with, but if he has to earn it, then why didn't Raph?

It would have been better to have Raph actually earn it first, but then a bit more down the road Leo naturally ends up showing to have a better talent for leading, strategy, etc. But too complex for a show of this era I guess.

Other series also kind of make it obvious that due to his personality, seriousness about training and all that he has gained from it, etc., Leo already did in fact earn it off screen before the start of the series. At least in the parts of the franchise I'm most familiar with, he hasn't ever taken it just because he's "oldest." (Although 2012 was kind of lazy about it in the beginning. At least Splinter put more substance to it much later.)

I just find myself disagreeing with this ridiculous blood pact you Leo fans have. Why can't Raphael be the leader for one damn show?

I love how you say "Raph should earn it. But then get thrown under the bus later on." That's basically what you're saying.

plastroncafe
07-10-2018, 02:36 PM
I've always been partial to Raph myself, and I'm pretty entertained with what we've seen of him already.

My preferred characterization is strongly influenced by the Mirage books, where Raph has a hard time controlling his emotions, and downshifts towards aggression more often than not.

He's the first one we see cry in Mirage.
He's the first one to openly stab a guy in OT.
The 2k3 theme song talks about how he's he first one to throw a punch.

I haven't seen anything from the new show that makes me feel as though he's "out of character" or off model.

I don't think he'll be a good leader, because of all the reasons listed above, but I like exploring the idea. Goodness knows most incarnations of the character have him FIXATED on how he'd do a better job on his own. So why not go there?

Xiewin
07-10-2018, 02:40 PM
I haven't seen anything from the new show that makes me feel as though he's "out of character."

Not that he's out of character but rather his character isn't being utilized enough.

IndigoErth
07-10-2018, 02:46 PM
I love how you say "Raph should earn it. But then get thrown under the bus later on." That's basically what you're saying.
Wtf, don't change the context of my words. It's certainly not the first time I've expressed concern about how they may go about it (given it's what people believe will happen) when a lot was already discussed before you joined in. I may not be overly fond of Raph, but I don't want to see any of the team effed over for the sake of this trend of always needing to twist things up now to "make it new."

And no, I think it's pretty damn stupid that for some reason Leo's role in the group, and very related to his personality traits and skills that even make him an asset and necessary to be there, is somehow regarded as something that should be up for grabs.

I mean, yay, his role now is to act like an annoying butthead and have a magic sword. Fantastic. Hopefully the sword will at least be an aid to the team and not just a special battle move.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Leader Raph and Jokster Leo are here to staaaayyyyyyy.

CyberCubed
07-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Leader Raph and Jokster Leo are here to staaaayyyyyyy.

It would be great if this is all set up as character arcs or development. Leo gradually grows into becoming a leader and becomes more serious or headstrong, Raph realizes he's not as interested in being a leader and let's Leo lead the team while developing his street smart skills.

Powder
07-10-2018, 02:50 PM
I just find myself disagreeing with this ridiculous blood pact you Leo fans have. Why can't Raphael be the leader for one damn show?

For the record, there are few bigger Leo fans than I, & I love what they're doing with him so far. His leadership role may historically be the most notable aspect of his overall character, but it doesn't necessarily define him. & he's never been allergic to a sense of humor, either. Bring it on, Rise!

FredWolfLeonardo
07-10-2018, 02:50 PM
It would be great if this is all set up as character arcs or development. Leo gradually grows into becoming a leader and becomes more serious or headstrong, Raph realizes he's not as interested in being a leader and let's Leo lead the team while developing his street smart skills.

That is definetly a possibility, although I am personally leaning towards this show being like the 80s cartoon, where Raphael is very different from his other incarnations, and mostly stayed a sarcastic joker throughout the entire show. He had instances of being angry sure, but that wasn't the core of his character like other versions and its what makes him stand out.

No different here.

plastroncafe
07-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Being the leader isn't a personality trait, it's a job description.

CyberCubed
07-10-2018, 02:52 PM
I do wonder if the villains we've seen so far will have any real personality, a lot of the Nick monster mutants generally didn't talk and were just monsters to fight, I can see a lot of the mutants in this show being similar.

Dejablue
07-10-2018, 02:55 PM
I have to admit the more agitated I get about the way the characters are presented the more I want to see the show. (Though I don't want to contribute to its ratings if its actually a bad show.)

If Raphael is given a leader position, in an ideal world, this would happen in a show where Raphael takes it seriously. Leonardo can easily be the down to earth second in command who can take the lead whenever Raph isn't able to.

And for all of you anal Leo fans who wish death on this show's creators just because Leo isn't the leader, perhaps a compromise where Raphael is the leader of his own team about halfway through the series. Like he can lead the Mutanimals. Of course this would likely lead to friction since the turtles are down one member, but heck, if Raphael thinks he can do it then I'd let him. By the time the show ends he can re-enter the fold. It would just last for 1 arc or a season.

But while he is out with the Mutanimals he has more time to explore his anger issues, maybe come across scenarios where his loneliness can be addressed. Depending on how they are written/their origins, the mutanimals could give Raphael different outlooks on life that he could never get at home.

Right now it feels like Leo and Mikey share the same personality. The "loud jokster" the jury is still out on Donatello but he's just going to be the "Sarcastic jokster" I bet. I thought maybe Don would get the role of "Team Mom", meaning he would end up being the reserved and cautious type. But that is blown out of the water by the fact that he is an adrenaline junky so nevermind!

It really looks like all 4 turtles are the same shade of "wild and crazy" with a different topping for "variety". Mikey is 'cute'. Leo is 'silly' Raphael is 'dumb' and (my guess is-->) Donatello is 'sarcastic with dry wit'.

Nobody is reserved or cautious (lol because kids these days are too ADD to appreciate a calm patient character), which is what a character ensemble typically needs for the sake of diversity. A group where everyone acts the same can get boring.

These are simply my predictions. I hope I'm wrong.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-10-2018, 02:55 PM
I do wonder if the villains we've seen so far will have any real personality, a lot of the Nick monster mutants generally didn't talk and were just monsters to fight, I can see a lot of the mutants in this show being similar.

Meat Sweats from what we've seen so far, is totally a Gordon Ramsay parody.

Where's the lammmbbb saaaucceee!!??

IndigoErth
07-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Being the leader isn't a personality trait, it's a job description.
Yeah, you don't say, that's why I said
very related to his personality traits and skills
because his demeanor, skills, and talents make him good at the job.

Usually...

Nobody is reserved or cautious (lol because kids these days are too ADD to appreciate a calm patient character), which is what a character ensemble typically needs for the sake of diversity. A group where everyone acts the same can get boring.

These are simply my predictions. I hope I'm wrong.
Concerns that have unfortunately also been brought up before, so you might not be far off the mark.

Donnie is lucky that he's got more going for him with his projects and whatnot, but even he's the self proclaimed "adrenaline enthusiast" now, presumably to make the laid back, somewhat reserved 'geek' more interesting too.

Dejablue
07-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Wtf, don't change the context of my words. It's certainly not the first time I've expressed concern about how they may go about it (given it's what people believe will happen) when a lot was already discussed before you joined in. I may not be overly fond of Raph, but I don't want to see any of the team effed over for the sake of this trend of always needing to twist things up now to "make it new."

And no, I think it's pretty damn stupid that for some reason Leo's role in the group, and very related to his personality traits and skills that even make him an asset and necessary to be there, is somehow regarded as something that should be up for grabs.

I mean, yay, his role now is to act like an annoying butthead and have a magic sword. Fantastic. Hopefully the sword will at least be an aid to the team and not just a special battle move.

You're upset but you just see leadership role as the only thing Leo could ever possibly be. And raphael is just "the angry guy."

Autbot_Benz
07-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Get to Know Leo

https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/1016789239579774977

plastroncafe
07-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Stuff like this is why I'm glad I've shifted more towards the Transformative side of Fandom, because the Conservation side is just...so exhausting, with very little joy.
I'm excited to see what happens with a Leo that isn't automatically drafted to be babysitter to his brothers.

And if that doesn't work out, well then I'll go back to Mirage, where the most fun thing Leo did was sign Raph up for the Barry Manilow fanclub.

IndigoErth
07-10-2018, 03:08 PM
You're upset but you just see leadership role as the only thing Leo could ever possibly be. And raphael is just "the angry guy."
Well, I gotta say, trying to tell people what they personally think is a great way to help a thread crash and burn if that's what you're actually after.

Most people here aren't that simple. Esp not Raph or Leo fans that can admittedly get a bit passionate about it, be it this project or another.

Leadership also certainly isn't the only thing removed from him. I've already criticized it before for changing his personality entirely which sucks the most of any of it.

Papenbrook
07-10-2018, 03:20 PM
I hope we get to see more of Donnie soon.

I think he's such a cutie. :anime:

Dejablue
07-10-2018, 03:55 PM
A little while ago I thought about making a thread. A "contest" where people could create their own show outline,basic plot synopsis, character descriptions, even concept art. Their perfect TMNT show. And then we all vote on it. No prizes because I'm poor but at least we all can find fullfillment outside of whatever Rise is offering.

As a Sonic the Hedgehog fan, I've learned that people should use their frustration to fuel fan content.

Can this be a thing?

Xiewin
07-10-2018, 03:55 PM
I actually like this new Leo lol

For Raphael, at least for this show, I wouldn't care if they turned him into 80s Raph, or just full on got rid of his anger issues. It fits the tone of what they are going for. Comedy. I'm very much open to changes to a certain extent.

But something about being "dumb" as a character trait bothers me. And how they might use that so he'll step down as leader.

I'll still try to at-least remain excited.

Dejablue
07-10-2018, 04:02 PM

For Raphael, at least for this show, I wouldn't care if they turned him into 80s Raph, or just full on got rid of his anger issues. It fits the tone of what they are going for. Comedy. I'm very much open to changes to a certain extent.

But something about being "dumb" as a character trait bothers me. And how they might use that so he'll step down as leader.

An 80's-like Raph with anger issues (anger issues to be explored and actually mean something) could be something like Archie-Raph.

I'd totally be for this...

IndigoErth
07-10-2018, 04:18 PM

Yeah, the "dumb meathead" shtick is kinda lame and dull imo.

He (and the others) may not have Donnie's kind of smarts and maybe Raph's not the more thinking type like Donnie and Leo, but like Mikey he's more the instinctive type... Maybe he's not the good strategist that Leo is, but he has it in him to make good instinctive fast judgement when called for.

Like the guy who just instinctively made the right move that saved all of them when the total plan was about the collapse. Or saved the plan.

Though I kind of prefer the gruffer, grumpy kind of Raph, esp as he's a good foil for Leo, but reasons for why he is the way he is would be a plus.

Also, my mom was in here talking to me for few just now with my recnetly turned 2-year-old nephew on his good behavior looking around (as he normally isn't allowed in this room). Most of his attention was on some of my Turtle figures and a plastic Leo face mask (as a collectable - glasses kinda make actual use impossible for Halloween) I've got hanging up with one of those costume shirts from Halloween. Before leaving the room he waved bye-bye to the Leo mask. :D Kinda made my evening. He's I think just lately realizing that they're the "Turtles" and now actually trying to say it.

Papenbrook
07-10-2018, 04:43 PM
I think Rise!Leonardo is kinda similar to Sonic in a way.

They both like to crack whimsy jokes, wear blue apparel, and fight unbelievably fast.

I kind of like him like that. :)

sdp
07-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Except this show is for a new generation of Turtles fans, not people already acquainted with the franchise. And I've seen a lot of interest in this series within the animation community from people who aren't even fans of the franchise. I think that this show is going to surprise a lot of people.

Yeah. Just ask The Next Mutation how things went when they went for a new generation.

The feeling I'm getting is that the villains are going to be one more bland characters, at least in the development side. They might have their gimmicks but not much substance.

Which is fine, the show seems to be focused more on the interactions/comedy of the turtles and a lot of quick paced action scenes. This is why villains won't get much development, it'll be TMNT shenanigans, they meet the villain and dispose of him in a cool action scene.

Xiewin
07-10-2018, 05:14 PM
The PD threads were horrible :lol:

though looking back it was kind of funny

IndigoErth
07-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Wow. Pretty outlandish claim. Moving on.

The PD threads were horrible :lol:

though looking back it was kind of funny
It really is, at least now.

Mostly I hope the threads goes better for that next film. But on the other hand... the drama was pretty good entertainment.

sdp
07-10-2018, 05:29 PM
I don't have much problems with most of the turtles besides Donatello, but maybe my opinion will change once I see more of him.

Leo: More than only a jokester I see him as a cocky person who is not ready to be a leader and he'll grow to be the leader he's set out to be. In many ways we've seen this story play out before in other incarnation when Leo wants to give up leadership. And leadership is definitely a trait. I love his design.

Raph: Yeah, he's dumb and a muscle head but so was 2k3 Raph and to a lesser extent 2012 Raph. I'm not a huge fan of it but that's already how he's been depicted before. He'll be the leader for a while since he's likely the oldest/strongest and when Leo matures he'll give it to him, ti'sTokka Raph is horrible but an interesting take that I don't mind.

Mikey:Mikey sounds younger and also more of a free spirit which works for him and I like what they could do with him. Not as different of a design but it works, he looks younger.

Donnie: Well we haven't seen his character profile video but from what we've seen he looks as generic donnie as they could get and his design is the worst, though I do like his full bandanna.

CyberCubed
07-10-2018, 05:54 PM
I'm just glad the Turtles don't have nostrils. I was mentally traumatized back in 2014 by the Turtles noses/nostrils and even though it's now 4 years later I have yet to fully recover. I still get the heebie jeebies just thinking about them.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2018, 06:16 PM
At this point, why anyone expects a Ninja Turtles cartoon to be anything other than toy sales, cheap gimmicks, jokes, and action is beyond me.

Which sounds fine to a lot of you, sure.

But it's no wonder some TMNT fans get heated when they realize that the target audience is too young to drink or drive, and that the best TMNT stories were written years ago. (IDW excepted.)

Dejablue
07-10-2018, 06:18 PM
TMNT for netflix pls?

MikeandRaph87
07-10-2018, 06:19 PM
CKD, was the lists I provided you a bit too much? :)

I typically avoid this thread because it is so massive its hard to keep up and too often politics come into play. I do ask though, is there a premire date for Rise of The Turtles?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2018, 06:20 PM
TMNT for netflix pls?

Never happen while Nick holds the rights.

Dejablue
07-10-2018, 06:23 PM
CKD, was the lists I provided you a bit too much? :)

I typically avoid this thread because it is so massive its hard to keep up and too often politics come into play. I do ask though, is there a premire date for Rise of The Turtles?

It's really close. I think it's gonna be the 20th of this month

Ashwolf
07-10-2018, 06:24 PM
It's really close. I think it's gonna be the 20th of this month

Thats only for the 1st ep, the show still starts in september

Sabacooza
07-10-2018, 06:28 PM
The reason Raph didn't have to earn the leadership role is because this is a completely different take on it. They're clearly going to set it up so that Leo takes the top spot.

I don't mind having Leo eventually taking over and having things the way we're used to but please don't insult us Raph fans by having his leadership role stripped from him because they just have to make him out to be an idiot. I want there to be a good legitimate reason for Leo taking over. I predict it'll play out a lot less favorably though unfortunately.

IndigoErth
07-10-2018, 06:49 PM
The reason Raph didn't have to earn the leadership role is because this is a completely different take on it. They're clearly going to set it up so that Leo takes the top spot.

I don't mind having Leo eventually taking over and having things the way we're used to but please don't insult us Raph fans by having his leadership role stripped from him because they just have to make him out to be an idiot. I want there to be a good legitimate reason for Leo taking over. I predict it'll play out a lot less favorably though unfortunately.
Would be nice if they could do it without drama. But also not in a way that's pointless.

I think I've mentioned it once before, but going at it from this direction, where everyone presumes Leo will take over at some point... I'd actually kind of prefer a somewhat reluctant Leo. Going about it in a way that will soften the transition.

Let them ALL start showing signs of various talents, including Leo who becomes apparent that he's really good with strategy, etc, and does really good on the occasion that he steps up when need be. Let his BROTHERS notice and point out these traits to him. Have Leo be kind of reluctant to take the lead sometimes, leaving his bothers to push him to do it in certain situations that he has shown at being really good at handling, letting THEM tell him that they NEED him to step up and push him to do it. And Raph himself trying to convince Leo, telling him that he's really good at it and that the team needs him to step up on whatever mission.

It would at least give his brothers, esp Raph, some better involvement in the transition with less competitiveness, nor create a resentful situation, if Raph himself is involved in admitting that his brother is talented in that position.

Although sadly I'm not sure how well a scenario with a reluctant Leo would actually mesh with the cocky one they're creating. :ohwell:

plastroncafe
07-10-2018, 07:04 PM
At this point, why anyone expects a Ninja Turtles cartoon to be anything other than toy sales, cheap gimmicks, jokes, and action is beyond me.

Which sounds fine to a lot of you, sure.

But it's no wonder some TMNT fans get heated when they realize that the target audience is too young to drink or drive, and that the best TMNT stories were written years ago. (IDW excepted.)

I don't think the best stories are behind us, but I do think that anyone expecting those stories to come GrimDark are delusional.

Whether or not those potential future best stories are a given fan's cup of tea is another story entirely.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2018, 07:20 PM
I don't think the best stories are behind us, but I do think that anyone expecting those stories to come GrimDark are delusional.

Whether or not those potential future best stories are a given fan's cup of tea is another story entirely.

I'm not even advocating for GrimDark.

More like, MirageDark or DaredevilDark.

But stories that aren't drowning in Mikey's dumbness or Raph's one-note anger or Don wearing nerd glasses and a retainer... those are indeed all in the rearview mirror.

plastroncafe
07-10-2018, 07:22 PM
I'm not even advocating for GrimDark.

More like, MirageDark or DaredevilDark.

But stories that aren't drowning in Mikey's dumbness or Raph's one-note anger or Don wearing nerd glasses and a retainer... those are indeed all in the rearview mirror.

This is where we disagree, but then...again, I'm coming at this from a transformative standpoint and not a curitorial one.
I'm used to having to go elsewhere for my fandom kicks, because I'm already prepared not to see my idealized version of this stuff find its way to actual production.

Meliwen
07-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Although sadly I'm not sure how well a scenario with a reluctant Leo would actually mesh with the cocky one they're creating. :ohwell:
That's actually how I was thinking/hoping it'd work out. I think it could work if the reason Leo didn't want leadership is because he dislikes the responsibility that comes with it.

I'd love if Raph was one of the primary characters to try to convince Leo to start leading more, for reasons you said. I'd love to see him as the supportive big brother who's super proud of his little bros.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2018, 07:35 PM
This is where we disagree, but then...again, I'm coming at this from a transformative standpoint and not a curitorial one.
I'm used to having to go elsewhere for my fandom kicks, because I'm already prepared not to see my idealized version of this stuff find its way to actual production.

You'd not be interested in MirageDark or Daredevil Dark?

Like, for instance... I think the idea of Raph starting as leader of the brothers, and Leo being more of a rebel shirking responsibility, could be an excellent character arc for both of them.

But who's going to do it real justice? A cartoon with Gordon Ramsay spoofs and Splinter looking like... geez, I don't even KNOW what to call that thing. With techno-Donnie and pizza everywhere?

Or something akin to Frank Miller's Daredevil, just without Karen becoming a junkie hooker?

Tell me I'm wrong. :trazz:

plastroncafe
07-10-2018, 07:42 PM
You'd not be interested in MirageDark or Daredevil Dark?

Like, for instance... I think the idea of Raph starting as leader of the brothers, and Leo being more of a rebel shirking responsibility, could be an excellent character arc for both of them.

But who's going to do it real justice? A cartoon with Gordon Ramsay spoofs and Splinter looking like... geez, I don't even KNOW what to call that thing. With techno-Donnie and pizza everywhere?

Or something akin to Frank Miller's Daredevil, just without Karen becoming a junkie hooker?

Tell me I'm wrong. :trazz:

You're wrong.
I don't trust Miller near his own work these days, let alone some of my favorite fictional characters.

That dude is like the hand-model from that episode of Seinfeld. He got high on his own success, and went pants-on-head bugfutz.
Uh-uh.
I've got enough problem with the ubiquitous misogyny this property garners, I don't need that guy's porn addiction added to it.

Now, if you were to say...suggest the folks who brought the first season of Daredevil to life. Sure.
Maybe the folks behind Legion, for the Dale Evans McGuillicutty arc. Great.

I have no problem with these dreams, because all of the things I'd like these characters to be and do are just that: Dreams.

Because at no point during any incarnation was I the demographic being catered to.
After a while, I just got used to it.

And all the Drum and Strang that goes on in these threads is just a bunch of other Olds And Busteds being upset at the fact that they're not the target audience anymore either.

Trust me, fandom is more fun when you take what you like from something, and then make something new with it.
Lie back and think of North Hampton, guys.

Leo656
07-10-2018, 08:02 PM
Trust me, fandom is more fun when you take what you like from something, and then make something new with it.

And that's swell. That's a perfect "coping skill". No argument.

My problem is, whether it's this or Star Wars or whatever franchise, if a longtime fan says, "I refuse to give this franchise my money or attention anymore, and I resent being so easily cast aside after I've essentially wasted so much money on following it," they're demonized for it, or at least for not keeping their "negative" opinion or feelings to themselves.

I'll concede that sometimes a point, once made, can then be left alone, and that some of us don't do that as often as we should, but that goes both ways. Just today, people were called "crybabies" simply for explaining exactly what they didn't like. So it's not like people who are "positive" behave any better, or are "in the right".

So anyway, perhaps if someone has made the point that they're dissatisfied, they should leave it at that and not constantly reiterate it, because it brings others' mood down. That's fair. They're not always "allowed" to just leave it there once they've made the point, but anyway. My point is simply, people should be allowed to say they think something sucks, as long as they can explain why they feel that way. And if it's already been said, well, there's no law against repeating yourself; you don't have to call someone names though. "You've made your point, I'm not sure you need to repeat it" works fine.

I never see that, though. I see a lot of "sad old man yelling at clouds" comments, and other dismissive nonsense, because a long-time, formerly-passionate-but-now-ignored person who's spent thousands of dollars on something they're passionate about is now told, quite literally, that their opinions mean nothing, and further, they need to "shut up and go away" because, "You're harshing the buzz, maaaaaaaaan."

So sure, fanfic is more productive than bitching. I agree. However, they both cost the same and neither is illegal. It's the "You don't like what I/we like, so you're not allowed to talk, period" mentality that I always have a real problem with. Pro- or Con-, if you can competently support your position then you have a place in the conversation, as far as I see it.

plastroncafe
07-10-2018, 08:12 PM
You'd think after all the years of being told that my opinion on something doesn't matter because I'm not the target audience would make me more empathetic to the plight of the dudes who've aged out of relevance.

Alas.

And with that, I'm going to tap out.

Papenbrook
07-10-2018, 08:15 PM
... and to think that all of this started because Leonardo got face-punched.

#Punchgate

Gunpowder
07-10-2018, 08:21 PM
And...how many times have we seen Leo earn the right to lead?
Rather than just start out that way.
He's just the leader in Mirage.
He's listed as the leader in the OT, also in 2K3, and in the movies...

And in 2012, Splinter lets Leo be the leader because he asked first.

Though, to be fair, he proved after that (in numerous episodes, e.g. "New Girl in Town") that he was probably best-suited for the job anyway. In that iteration, at least.

Casey
07-10-2018, 10:40 PM

I’m not even a big Raph fan and I’m super excited to see him lead for a while. This is new and exciting and different and it has way more spirit than either of the PD movies. Different isn’t necessarily bad.

Kit31
07-10-2018, 11:16 PM
Okay, I've been silent for a while just reading along. Also to get this thread back on track, here's my take on the new show and the Turtles:

Raph - Uhhh, well...him being the leader is odd, but an interesting take on his character. It could be okay and maybe he'll decide to step down at some point. Being the oldest and self-appointing himself as the leader doesn't seem all that far-fetched. Older siblings are supposed to take charge, after all. As for his personality, I don't see him all that different from past incarnations. He's a brute, doesn't think before he punches something, and he's a hothead. Leadership qualities, hardly, but hopefully he'll settle down eventually.

Mikey - He could be fun. He seems to have his head together more than his 2012 counterpart, so that's a bonus.

Leo - Oh, boy. Being a huge Leo fan, I have to admit, this one has taken me aback a little. He could be fun, I guess. Some of his lines are very cringe-y, but he's also pretty witty and I like that. I don't have a huge problem with him not being the leader yet, since I'm sure he will be at some point. It just wouldn't be TMNT without Leo leading.

Donnie - Actually, Donnie became my favorite after the release of that animated comic that came out a few weeks ago. Him being an adrenaline junkie doesn't seem out of character so much since he's developed his own tech to keep himself safe. He might feel a bit more adventurous to try it out. I don't have a lot to go on with him yet (since his video is yet to be released) but he definitely is shaping up to be my favorite Turtle in this version so far.

My overall take on the show is that it could be fun. The changes are intriguing and I really want to see how they handle certain new aspects in TMNT that we've never seen before. I'm hyped up for the premiere coming next weekend and hopefully I'll like how things go for this series. I love the fact in most of the character videos we see them with their traditional weapons.

I think I've wasted enough of your time now. lol Carry on! ;)

Sabacooza
07-11-2018, 06:24 AM
I’m not even a big Raph fan and I’m super excited to see him lead for a while. This is new and exciting and different and it has way more spirit than either of the PD movies. Different isn’t necessarily bad.Sure. It's more entertaining to see something different so for that alone I hope to see him lead for a while but in an effective way even if a bit flawed.

srmff
07-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Well I'm a Leo fan and I'm open to the changes introduced so far. It might be fun to see this side of him. It is 'Rise f the TMNT' and it's meant to be them before how we know them so I do think that Leo may transition to closer to how we know him. Of course, there's no reason why he couldn't become a leader and still throw out his one-liners that irritate his brothers (I hope that he has enough self-awareness to know that his one-liners irritate his brothers but he just can't resist). After all, Leo in the 2012 version in his early days also came out with lines that annoyed his brothers. I'm looking forward to the first episode and enjoying it for what it is.

At least with TMNT, these are all alternate dimensions so you can completely disregard it if you don't like it. Even if it totally destroyed Leo's character, I can just dismiss that version of him. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Star Wars where it's a continuation and they just destroyed Luke's character for me. The last film left a bitter taste in my mouth after seeing it and it's the only Star Wars film that I haven't purchased and as of now, I don't have any inclination to see the sequel since I actually don't have any interest in it anymore. I wasn't tempted to see Solo at all.

As someone said, I tend to prefer the more 'boring' noble characters. I prefer Luke to Han, Captain America to Iron Man, etc. However, Seto Kaiba is an exception to that rule for some reason.

CyberCubed
07-11-2018, 06:32 PM

At least with TMNT, these are all alternate dimensions so you can completely disregard it if you don't like it. Even if it totally destroyed Leo's character, I can just dismiss that version of him. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Star Wars where it's a continuation and they just destroyed Luke's character for me. The last film left a bitter taste in my mouth after seeing it and it's the only Star Wars film that I haven't purchased and as of now, I don't have any inclination to see the sequel since I actually don't have any interest in it anymore. I wasn't tempted to see Solo at all..

Luke was the best part of that film.

Sabacooza
07-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Millions of fans disagree.

sdp
07-11-2018, 08:39 PM
We're almost a week away before the premier, hype.

At least with TMNT, these are all alternate dimensions so you can completely disregard it if you don't like it. Even if it totally destroyed Leo's character, I can just dismiss that version of him. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Star Wars where it's a continuation and they just destroyed Luke's character for me. The last film left a bitter taste in my mouth after seeing it and it's the only Star Wars film that I haven't purchased and as of now, I don't have any inclination to see the sequel since I actually don't have any interest in it anymore. I wasn't tempted to see Solo at all.

Agree on everything

At least the SWs talk is better than the wrestlers rants :lol:

Luke was the best part of that film.

He definitely was awesome in it, but it still hurt his character and the rest of the movie is still trash.

Machias Banshee
07-11-2018, 08:47 PM
This thread is under lockdown and review by the moderators til further notice.