View Full Version : New Show coming in 2018

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Vicky82
03-02-2017, 03:10 PM
I saw a tweet from Nick and More

https://twitter.com/nickandmore/status/837423182051229696

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C58f7y7XQAAG4Nc.jpg:large

Found the Link to the Story

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-reboot-2d-1202000951/

The kid network will be rebooting its current CG “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” series as a 2D animated series with the title “Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.” The network made the announcement at its upfront presentation in New York on Thursday afternoon.

“The Turtles is a property that has reinvention in its DNA, which keeps it fresh and relevant to every new generation while satisfying the demand from its adult fans,” said Cyma Zarghami, president, Nickelodeon Group. “’Turtles’ has been an incredibly important franchise for us since we reignited it five years ago, and we’re excited for the new series to take the characters in a different direction with more humor, a younger and lighter feel and all-new dimensions to explore.”

The new 2D series is co-executive produced by Andy Suriano (character designer for the critically acclaimed Adult Swim series “Samurai Jack”) and Ant Ward (supervising producer, current “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”) at Nickelodeon in Burbank, Calif.

The CG series will air one last season starting Sunday, March 19. Nickelodeon has ordered 26 episodes of the 2D reboot to air starting in fall 2018.

“Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” will follow Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo on all-new adventures as they seek to unlock the mystical secrets of New York City. From the tallest skyscraper to the dankest sewer drain, the Turtles will encounter absurd new mutants and battle bizarre creatures all while enjoying their favorite slice of pizza. Tapping into mystic, ninja powers they never knew existed, the four brothers must learn to work together and navigate the perils of the modern age and hidden realms in order to fulfill their destiny to become a team of heroes.

TurtleTitan97
03-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Fingers cross it turns out good.

Vicky82
03-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Fingers crossed they will use the same voice actors but if they don't, hope the new ones are good.

prophecy718
03-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Why are they rebooting?

MikeandRaph87
03-02-2017, 03:19 PM
I was just about to post it. Rise of The Turtles will be the title. A 2D aninimated show picking up in the Fall of 2018. A reboot it states. Will it be a complete remake separate from 2012 CGI cartoon a soft reboot? That is the main question.
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-cg-animated-series-gets-220000134.html

Freeman
03-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Just read this on TMNT official facebook page and came running to see what we knew about it.
What makes me most happy about this is it will mean more figures!!
A 'lighter feel' could also mean a little more variants creativity, as arcs can be shorter and more diverse, like turtles on the beach, christmas special etc

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Ugh. Sounds like "Teen Titans Go" for TMNT.

MikeandRaph87
03-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Why are they rebooting?

Rat King is dead, Shredder is dead, Splinter is dead all for good this time. There is only so much one can do when key characters are killed off. They have gotten darker than expected and want a lighter tone. Instead of pulling a lighter shade all of a sudden it wanted to do it in a restart. Not to mention reboot gets a fresh start and like a comic reboot a temporary spike. The question is how much of the spike will stick. I am not used to the idea one show ends and another begins. No Next Mutation does not count.

Another thing of note is the title is the episode title of the first episode of the 2012 cartoon. A subtitle perhaps which could change by the season?

Utrommaniac
03-02-2017, 03:26 PM

Well...time to dig the trenches and prepare.

veemonjosh
03-02-2017, 03:27 PM
we’re excited for the new series to take the characters in a different direction with more humor, a younger and lighter feel

Really hoping this isn't going to be Nickelodeon's answer to Teen Titans Go.

Redworld96
03-02-2017, 03:28 PM
If I've understood well, its a reboot with the same turtles of 2012 right? I mean, will it be considered in the same universe?

John Pannozzi
03-02-2017, 03:28 PM
I really like Andy Suriano's artwork. If his designs for this show are half as good as some of his other work, it will at least look great.

Ninjinister
03-02-2017, 03:29 PM

Which is a f**king awesome show.

Dust
03-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Don't know how to feel about this, guess I'll wait and see before passing judgement on it.

Raph's Girl
03-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Well that's one way for Splinter and Shredder to return. Just reboot the entire bloody thing as a 2D adventure. :roll:

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 03:32 PM
“Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” will follow Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo on all-new adventures as they seek to unlock the mystical secrets of New York City. From the tallest skyscraper to the dankest sewer drain, the Turtles will encounter absurd new mutants and battle bizarre creatures all while enjoying their favorite slice of pizza. Tapping into mystic, ninja powers they never knew existed, the four brothers must learn to work together and navigate the perils of the modern age and hidden realms in order to fulfill their destiny to become a team of heroes.

Wow, that sounds pretty ghastly.

The plan is to have them "encounter absurd new mutants"? "Fulfill their destiny to be heroes"? What?

Blegh, whatever. It's for little tykes. Little tykes and Fred Wolf nostalgiacs. Like all of it, these days.

What makes me most happy about this is it will mean more figures!!

http://i.imgur.com/JYnya7w.gif

IndigoErth
03-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Very glad that Nick indeed has more plans and they really will in fact be doing a new show after this one. :D

I hope it's cute and fun, though a little disappointed with the "a younger and lighter feel" thing. As much as TMNT has struggled with the "kid's thing" stigma, and because the current series already makes the Turtles feel rather young, more-so than their counter parts in other versions, what's even younger going to be like... Half Shell? I had hoped a next series would be somewhat loosely a continuation of the current and age them up a little.

I'm sure it will be adorable, but disheartened that an 'older' series (not necessarily just or adults, but at least teens and older as target audience) will still have to wait for god knows how long...

Cure
03-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Which is a f**king awesome show.

Hey, that's my thing.

But yeah, I hope it's dope. Nothing wrong with a more comedy leaning show.

DisKosh
03-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Of course I'll give it a go but my gut reaction is that it doesn't sound very good to me.

I just want volume 4 of the Mirage comics to be turned into a show for teenagers and adults.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 03:40 PM
I saw a tweet from Nick and More

https://twitter.com/nickandmore/status/837423182051229696

Found the Link to the Story

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-reboot-2d-1202000951/
Andre just posted a video talking about it, He got the press release.
https://twitter.com/BlackNerd/status/837425551543455744

ColinStein
03-02-2017, 03:41 PM
If it was the same voice cast like Teen Titans/Teen Titans Go, I'm all on board! Here's hoping.

Autbot_Benz
03-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Pixel Dan new about it also he posted this

Yes. More bright and more kid-friendly, from what I hear. The current series has a lot of dark undertones and is pretty closely tied to what the Mirage books were doing, which is awesome! But I totally understand that they want something geared more towards kids at the same time. Some of the current episodes are way too dark for my kid to watch, imo.

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 03:43 PM
I wonder what the new origin of Bebop and Rocksteady and Mechaturtle will be.

Shark_Blade
03-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Sounds good to me. :tlove:

plastroncafe
03-02-2017, 03:45 PM
I'm calling shenanigans on the idea that the current Nick cartoon is reminiscent of the original Mirage books.

Except maybe having issues with pacing, and not really having a linear show bible. In which case, then that's a dead-to-rights comparison.

That said, I could be down for a Teen Titans Go!esque TMNT show.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 03:45 PM
I just got a reply from the Nickelodeon Twitter with this info.
https://twitter.com/Nickelodeon/status/837433331771920384

new 2D series is co-exec produced by Andy Suriano (char designer, Samurai Jack) & Ant Ward (supervising prod, TMNT)
a character designer for Samurai Jack is working on this new series.

TurtleTitan97
03-02-2017, 03:46 PM
I just got a reply from the Nickelodeon Twitter with this info.
https://twitter.com/Nickelodeon/status/837433331771920384

Someone who worked on Samurai Jack is working on this new series.

Old news considering it was on the first post.

Cure
03-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Guy worked on Samurai Jack, eh? Nice.

plastroncafe
03-02-2017, 03:47 PM
The 2-D thing is interesting, especially on the heels of the reboot of Ducktales.

THGhost
03-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Just saw Andre's tweet about this. Sounds interesting, glad the Nick show is getting 1 last season though. Wouldn't want it ending where it is now.

I like that it's gonna be 2D. Nick's 3D CGI is really good, but I've always preferred 2D.

The 2-D thing is interesting, especially on the heels of the reboot of Ducktales.

I was thinking the same thing, and the Samurai Jack thing could be great for TMNT.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Damn, anyone think this sounds suspiciously similar to Teen Titans Go? Sounds like it's going to focus on all humor with little to no action and bad guys treated like parodies.

Turo602
03-02-2017, 03:50 PM
WTF!? So weird that they'd announce a new series before the current one even ends. I'm not liking the sound of this series either. Though hopefully it turns out better than it sounds. I love the idea of a new 2D series and don't mind it focusing on comedy but the whole mystic thing sounds like a giant gimmick. It's like having an entire series of Ninja Tribunal, Fast Forward, or the cyber stuff in BttS. I just hope there's substance to whole thing and not just nonsense from week to week.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 03:53 PM
I'm calling shenanigans on the idea that the current Nick cartoon is reminiscent of the original Mirage books.

Except maybe having issues with pacing, and not really having a linear show bible. In which case, then that's a dead-to-rights comparison.

That said, I could be down for a Teen Titans Go!esque TMNT show.
a character designer for Samurai Jack is a co-exec producer for this new series, So it could probably have a Samurai Jack art style?

plastroncafe
I was thinking the same thing, and the Samurai Jack thing could be great for TMNT.

DON'T YOU GO GETTING MY HOPES UP!
DON'T YOU DO IT!

Damn, anyone think this sounds suspiciously similar to Teen Titans Go? Sounds like it's going to focus on all humor with little to no action and bad guys treated like parodies.

So...like the FW Cartoon then?

Vicky82
Greg Cipes has been tweeting

Greg Cipes‏@GregCipes9m
Partnering w/ @Nickelodeon @NickAnimation to bring to life @TMNT has been a dream come true.I loved working w/my epic cast,EP's,& artist

And people have been asking if he's continuing as Mikey

@L∆UR∆ @LauraPogosexo
@GregCipes @YahooTV I hope you all get to return to your roles for the new TMNT series. Love you all!!

Greg Cipes‏@GregCipes 12 minutes ago
Greg Cipes Retweeted @L∆UR∆
Me to @NickAnimation @Nickelodeon

Greg Cipes‏@GregCipes 4m4
Greg Cipes Retweeted Matthew Jasso
Idk it's up to the turtle gods

So he doesn't know yet.

TurtleTitan97
03-02-2017, 03:55 PM
I kinda hope he does. He's a perfect fit for Mikey like he is with Beast Boy.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Greg Cipes has been tweeting

Greg Cipes‏@GregCipes9m
Partnering w/ @Nickelodeon @NickAnimation to bring to life @TMNT has been a dream come true.I loved working w/my epic cast,EP's,& artist

And people have been asking if he's continuing as Mikey

@L∆UR∆ @LauraPogosexo
@GregCipes @YahooTV I hope you all get to return to your roles for the new TMNT series. Love you all!!

Greg Cipes‏@GregCipes 12 minutes ago
Greg Cipes Retweeted @L∆UR∆
Me to @NickAnimation @Nickelodeon

Greg Cipes‏@GregCipes 4m4
Greg Cipes Retweeted Matthew Jasso
Idk it's up to the turtle gods

So he doesn't know yet.
I really hope they still have the same cast, for continuity sake.

Hopefully this new series will also bring in some of the classic characters that haven't showed up in the CGI series yet.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 03:56 PM
So...like the FW Cartoon then?

LOL, what? The Fred Wolf cartoon and Teen Titans GO are absolutely nothing alike.

RaphaelinSTL
03-02-2017, 03:58 PM
I was all on board until I read about the lighter, younger feel and "more humor." As if to say that the 2012 show already didn't have humor or a younger feel to it.

I guess we'll see what happens, but I have a feeling they may be aiming for this all wrong.

oldmanwinters
03-02-2017, 03:58 PM
I'm a little surprised this isn't called "TMNT GO!"

Also, the whole bit about discovering "mystic powers" reminds me of the so-called "Lost Season" of the 4Kids toon, which was probably my least favorite of the series with all the spirit dragons.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 03:59 PM
My guess is the transition from the Nick show to this new one will be exactly like Teen Titans 2003 to Teen Titans Go.

As in they'll get rid of the action and darker aspects of the first series with a more childish gag oriented series.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 04:00 PM
I'm a little surprised this isn't called "TMNT GO!"

Also, the whole bit about discovering "mystic powers" reminds me of the so-called "Lost Season" of the 4Kids toon, which was probably my least favorite of the series with all the spirit dragons.
Yeah, They should've called it something like Tales of the TMNT.

as for the 2D style, I wonder if the new series will go for the style and humor from the Half Shell Heroes Special.

ToTheNines
03-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Weird that they're starting this so soon after the end of Ciro's show... but on the bright side, it would stand to reason that they won't drag their feet with airing the rest of season 5. I expect the series finale to be in like June/July.

Not psyched for this, based on the description. But then again, I was saying the exact same thing about the current show when I first heard about it.

Suriano is awesome, so that's cool. His sequential art on the Samurai Jack comics that IDW put out a while back was truly awesome. He did all 20 issues, IIRC.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 04:01 PM

That's what they're calling this season.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 04:03 PM
That's what they're calling this season.
Which is unfortunate, Cause Tales of the TMNT would have been a better title for a 2D animated series.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Honestly this doesn't sound like a continuation of the current show at all, I'm expecting a full reboot. There is a small possibility they might keep the same voice cast for the Turtles, but I'm guessing they might recast everyone so this show can stand on its own.

SS Kakarot
03-02-2017, 04:06 PM
I'm guessing the episodes will be 10 minutes, since most cartoons are these days.

I have always preferred 2D, hope it will not be too 'flash animated' though.

Anyway, I am glad a new series is coming next year and am very curious how it's going to turn out! :)

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Ugh, I bet the 2D animation will look exactly like the Cartoon Network or Nick shows of today with that ugly simple flash animation style.

Or it'll probably look like that Half Shell Heroes special if you want a better example.

IndigoErth
03-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Yeah, something somewhat akin to a 2D Half Shell Heroes is what I'm picturing.

I love that 2012 went with CGI, though I understand that it's an expensive format to do for a long period of time.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Ciro not being involved in this series makes it obvious it's not a continuation. If Ciro stayed on board it might be a different story.

I wonder if he'll work on any of it or if Nick is kicking him to the curb.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 04:15 PM

I love that 2012 went with CGI, though I understand that it's an expensive format to do for a long period of time.
We been calling it TMNT 2k12 for years now, So now we'll have to refer to the new one as TMNT 2k18 or TMNT 2D

MikeandRaph87
We could we get characters dusted off and actually not steal the name of old characters with a completely different character this time around? That is the main thing.

Also, it sounds like a subtitled season that focuses on a certain gimmick and not too much unlike Ninja Tribunal.It really could have been a continuation, but the deaths might have prevented that since they were not creative enough to bring them back in-story.

CyberCubed
We been calling it TMNT 2k12 for years now, So now we'll have to refer to the new one as TMNT 2k18 or TMNT 2D

No, we've been calling it "Nick TMNT."

Redworld96
03-02-2017, 04:16 PM
We just have very little information, so I am not gonna settle anything at the moment, but if the cartoon will be in 2D, I would like to see the turtles like in the episode "Transdimensional turtles" (better animated), or the short of Brandon Auman

rTYZH9ZztJ0 jOuSCfJgpd8

And I hope they kept the cast of the CG Animation

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 04:16 PM
We could we get characters dusted off and actually not steal the name of old characters with a completely different character this time around? That is the main thing.

I'm not sure what that means, they're not "stealing the name" of old characters, all old characters are reinvented when a new series starts.

This has been happening since the Fred Wolf and 2k3 series.

TurtleTitan97
03-02-2017, 04:17 PM
If it's anything the Brandon Auman short, that'd be perfect.

Redworld96
03-02-2017, 04:18 PM
No, we've been calling it "Nick TMNT."

But Nickelodeon will have now two TMNT series, and we need to differentiate the CG animation (always called it as TMNT 2012) and the new one. I would call it TMNT 2018

Cyndaquilfan123
03-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Well, That's that I suppose. Well, I love every bit of TMNT 2012, and I hope this last season goes out with a bang. But that being said, I'm glad that We won't be without a TMNT Show for long. In regards to the voice cast, I'd be happy with this current round-up or a new take on the voice cast regardless, I'm excited for TMNT's future through TV, Movies and Comics!

CyberCubed
Well the new title is "Rise of the Ninja Turtles" so we'll call it that.

Andrew NDB
Maybe we can have the 2018 series crossover with the Fred Wolf show?

plastroncafe
03-02-2017, 04:23 PM
If we're making baseless wagers mine is that this new show will be more Half-shelled heroes, than TTG!

Possibly a prequel to the current toon.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 04:24 PM

It can't be a prequel since the summary says they'll explore the city and battle mutants. In the first ep of the Nick cartoon they said the Turtles never left the sewers for 15 years.

drgon78
03-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Sounds like "TMNT GO" to me and that sucks. It's bad enough this stupid channel only still has one good show and that is TMNT(2012). I was hoping it would get a couple more seasons.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 04:25 PM
The phrase, "lighter and younger feel with more humor" is especially worrisome, since the Nick cartoon was based on humor to begin with.

What is more humor than that besides making the show entirely juvenile or basically being a parody ala Teen Titans go?

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 04:28 PM

Probably not possible. There's really no room for adventures and mutants and stuff before that first Nick episode. It doesn't even sound like they'd ever been allowed to leave that sewer until then.

The phrase, "lighter and younger feel with more humor" is especially worrisome, since the Nick cartoon was based on humor to begin with.

What is more humor than that besides making the show entirely juvenile or basically being a parody ala Teen Titans go?

True.

ssjup81
03-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Which is a f**king awesome show.If not comparing it to the 2003 series. I'm not into TTG, but it's bothersome how people don't seem to get that it's purposely stupid and not meant to compare to the original show.

plastroncafe
03-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Ahhh, it's possible I misunderstood. For some reason I thought they too would be younger, and that they'd be exploring the undercity.

I blame the decongestants.

Either way, I'm reserving judgment until I see some character designs and a voice cast.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 04:42 PM

It'll probably be less violent, like no more cutting off of limbs and things of that nature.

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 04:43 PM
It'll probably be less violent, like no more cutting off of limbs and things of that nature.

What, like Snakeweed's?

Vicky82
03-02-2017, 04:44 PM
What, like Snakeweed's?

He's probably talking about Tiger Claw getting his arm cut off.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 04:44 PM
What, like Snakeweed's?
Probably, and then TigerClaw losing a hand.

We can only assume that the show will not have any more of those types of mutilations of characters.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 04:47 PM
I wonder if the Nick show showing on-screen death and more violence is what prompted this change. Did Ciro step on too many boundaries and get the Nick executives in an uproar?

I've seen this happen to other shows in the past, where the "business execs" feel a show is getting too violent and they try to tone it down and kick the main director/producer to the curb.

RaphaelinSTL
03-02-2017, 04:48 PM
I wonder if the Nick show showing on-screen death and more violence is what prompted this change. Did Ciro step on too many boundaries and get the Nick executives in an uproar?

I've seen this happen to other shows in the past, where the "business execs" feel a show is getting too violent and they try to tone it down and kick the main director/producer to the curb.

You know, that sounds pretty much on point to what could've possibly happened.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
03-02-2017, 04:49 PM
This is great

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 04:50 PM
There will most likely be toys based on the new series also.

TurtleTitan97
03-02-2017, 04:50 PM

Nice deduction, Sherlock Holmes.

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 04:52 PM

No sh*t. Why do you think they're even making it?

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 04:53 PM
You know, that sounds pretty much on point to what could've possibly happened.

It's exactly what happened with the 2k3 series. That's why Fast Forward and BTTS happened for the last two seasons, to tone the show down a bit from how violent it was getting in Seasons 3-4.

IndigoErth
03-02-2017, 04:55 PM
If 2012 Mikey has often been played off pretty childish while he's supposed to be in his teens... I can only imagine what "a younger and lighter feel" show Mikey will be like.

Maybe we can have the 2018 series crossover with the Fred Wolf show?
If 2018 comes across super young, then I want the absurd juxtaposition of a crossover with 2003 for the hell of it. TMNT: Adventures in Babysitting.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 04:56 PM
I wonder why they decided to go the 2D route? is it to cut the cost of making it CGI, which I know can be expensive to make.

Technogeek29
03-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Sigh~ I don't mind more humor but a straight comedy show isn't what I'm looking for in TMNT at the moment. I was fine with the shift towards humor in Nick TMNT. I don't want it to go "serious" like 2k3 but would prefer something akin to ATLA. A nice blend of drama and comedy that doesn't result to gross out to be funny half the time.

Not looking forward to this but will wait to hear more before dismissing it entirely.

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 04:58 PM
I wonder why they decided to go the 2D route? is it to cut the cost of making it CGI, which I know can be expensive to make.

Fred Wolf was 2D. That's all the reason they need, I'm sure.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Fred Wolf was 2D. That's all the reason they need, I'm sure.
But 2D is easier to make, Not too much details, so it would take less time to produce episodes and get them out faster.

Cure
03-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Oh my Gooood, if they make an episode where they make fun of Teen Titans like Teen Titans Go made fun of TMNT, I'll diiiiiie.

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 05:05 PM
But 2D is easier to make, Not too much details, so it would take less time to produce episodes and get them out faster.

Depends what they're doing. CGI is much easier if you're introducing a whole world and adventures and such as you can just re-use the same elements over and over again. No drawing needed.

Now, if it's something like Teen Titans Go, then there's really not too much movement. The time it probably takes them to draw and "animate" an episode is probably the same or less than the time it would take the Nick animators to make polygons move.

PixieAnna1
03-02-2017, 05:05 PM
If it's anything like Half-Shell Heroes, I'd be fine with it.
But if Nick is trying to bank on TTG's style then god help us.

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 05:20 PM
But if Nick is trying to bank on TTG's style then god help us.

I don't know that it really makes much big difference if they're making a new TMNT show for 5 year olds, instead of show for 9 year olds.

Cyndaquilfan123
03-02-2017, 05:24 PM
I pretty much called the next show would be 2D after seeing the Comic Con Shorts.

RaphaelinSTL
03-02-2017, 05:25 PM
If 2012 Mikey has often been played off pretty childish while he's supposed to be in his teens... I can only imagine what "a younger and lighter feel" show Mikey will be like.

Yeah, that's what is really gonna bug me. One of the things I've never really cared for about the 2012 was how goofy and moronic they wrote Michelangelo. There's a difference between being the one that's a little bit more light-hearted and then being completely incompetent at times.

TigerClaw
03-02-2017, 05:27 PM
I pretty much called the next show would be 2D after seeing the Comic Con Shorts.
Yeah, it's no surprise given how well received that Half Shell Heroes special was received.

LilithMV
03-02-2017, 05:34 PM
It's great, new show equal new figures. Even if it's still Playmates. And personally I have a preference for 2D animated TMNT. :tgrin:

snake
03-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Not exactly what I want, but I'll take it, especially if it's in vein of the HSH specials. I still have my IDW.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Teen Titans Go literally doomed all other action cartoons. Now they think that's what all cartoons should be like. Goddamn Cartoon Network.

TurtleTitan97
03-02-2017, 05:55 PM
You haven't even seen footage yet. Calm down you, freakin' man-child. :roll:

snake
03-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Teen Titans Go literally doomed all other action cartoons. Now they think that's what all cartoons should be like. Goddamn Cartoon Network.

No, out of touch execs who got pissed at girls watching shows that were "meant for boys" is what killed action cartoons.

They're not even fully dead. TMNT is finishing it's run, Rebels is on, Samurai Jack is coming back, and that new Voltron show that I haven't watched yet is an action cartoon.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 05:57 PM
This is what I always do. You should see my posts from 2009 when we found out the 2k3 series was ending, I was going beserk.

Chris
03-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Well this announcement came sooner than expected! I thought they'd finish season 5 before confirming a new show.

I've enjoyed the 1st Nick show. It definitely had its ups and downs but it's been a good run overall (and to be honest if Owari had been the end I would have been content). Right now I'm just looking forward to seeing how the guys move forward in a post-Splinter & post-Shredder world. That's something that that most incarnations never get round to tackling. Hopefully they get to explore some new directions & give us a really strong final season.

"Younger & lighter" definitely isn't my preference but I'm not the target audience. If it's enjoyable that's great, if not I can skip it (I still have IDW & all my 4Kids DVDs). This is for the next generation now. The Nick show, like 4Kids before it, grew up with its audience, getting darker & more violent as it went along. We can probably expect resets/reboots like this every 5-6 seasons now. It gives each generation their own version, Nick the boost of a new show & Playmates a full line relaunch. From a business perspective it makes sense, especially with the 2012 story drawing to a close & the toy line winding down.

I'm a bit concerned about the show being 2D. I love 2D but I really don't like the current flash style animation most shows use today. I get that it's cheaper to make but it looks so cheap and nasty compared to older shows. Something at least equivalent to BTTS (4Kids last & presumably cheapest season) would be nice.

With them announcing it so soon I wonder when we can expect to hear more. SDCC seems too soon and likely will be a send off for the current show. Maybe NYCC? That would be about a year out and the current show should be wrapping up by then (barring any massive breaks to make it last till next spring). We'll almost certainly be seeing stuff at Toy Fair next February so I imagine we'll be seeing something before then in terms of character designs at least. Looking forward to seeing the design work for this!

The premise sounds interesting. It has the potential to be either a fun new take or a Next Mutation level misstep. Hopefully the former.

AquaParade
03-02-2017, 06:02 PM
I don't get too invested in tmnt animated series these days, but my one hope is that this can be the version of tmnt aimed at children, while opening up the movies and allowing them to be aimed at a more adult crowd.

That seems to work well for Marvel and DC.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 06:08 PM
while opening up the movies and allowing them to be aimed at a more adult crowd.

That should have already happened with the Nick cartoon.

ABrown
03-02-2017, 06:08 PM
I don't see what there is to be upset about. The next series HAS to be better than the crap shack that Nickelodeon has been airing the last five years. If I had to guess, they're going to try to make an identical duplicate of the original cartoon. Given how in love with that show Nickelodeon clearly is.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 06:09 PM
I don't see what there is to be upset about. The next series HAS to be better than the crap shack that Nickelodeon has been airing the last five years.

I certainly hope you're joking. I feel sorry for you if otherwise.

Meliwen
03-02-2017, 06:09 PM
They can make a less violent and funnier show without completely throwing away character development and plotlines, like what Transformers did with Rescue Bots, if they're aiming for kids that young. I'm hoping it turns out more like that, than something like TTG.

oldmanwinters
03-02-2017, 06:14 PM

I wouldn't go that far. Spongebob's success and longevity arguably doomed Nickelodeon's creative programmin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-seeo7gJF0)g but it's not like there haven't been other good shows.

*NormalGamer*
03-02-2017, 06:20 PM
So, another reboot and in 2D? Color me interested.

Though, I think I will reserve judgement when I see some concept artwork of the show first down the line to get the full picture of how the show will run.

Jester
03-02-2017, 06:24 PM
*holding out hope for Archie Comics adaptations....

DestronMirage22
03-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Damn it, this sounds like it'll totally suck. Nick just keeps making things worse. Nobody's ever gonna take the TMNT seriously as a brand with stuff like this being produced, especially if it ends up having Teen Titans Go! levels of idiocy. :(

Ninjinister
03-02-2017, 06:32 PM
I don't see what there is to be upset about. The next series HAS to be better than the crap shack that Nickelodeon has been airing the last five years. If I had to guess, they're going to try to make an identical duplicate of the original cartoon. Given how in love with that show Nickelodeon clearly is.

YIlL0T2yTss

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Has Ciro Nieli made any comments on this anywhere online? I'm curious to know if he's involved in the show in any capacity.

ssjup81
03-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Fred Wolf was 2D. That's all the reason they need, I'm sure.Wasn't the 2003 show 2D animated as well or made to look 2D?

They're probably going this route because it's cheaper and easier to produce (assumingly) than cg.

IndigoErth
03-02-2017, 06:39 PM
2D is of course also still the most typical format so I'm not at all surprised. Kind of inevitable that TMNT would visit 2D again.

Ninja Tiptup
03-02-2017, 06:57 PM
The description doesn't make me think TTG but it does make me think Justice League Action. It sounds very adventurous so it's probably not as action light as TTG. With Andy on the series I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 07:04 PM
The description doesn't make me think TTG but it does make me think Justice League Action. It sounds very adventurous so it's probably not as action light as TTG. With Andy on the series I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know, Sketch, but I hope you're right. If it doesn't have any action at all I'm not sure I can watch it.

ToTheNines
03-02-2017, 07:26 PM
No sh*t. Why do you think they're even making it?

Have you not met TigerClaw?

I don't get too invested in tmnt animated series these days, but my one hope is that this can be the version of tmnt aimed at children, while opening up the movies and allowing them to be aimed at a more adult crowd.

A good way to look at it. So long as we don't end up with the TMNT version of the CW shows lol.

*holding out hope for Archie Comics adaptations....

Man, you Archie people are relentless!

FredWolfLeonardo
03-02-2017, 07:26 PM
What if the show is a 2D depiction of the PD turtles after the events of the first two films? :D

dragonside
03-02-2017, 07:29 PM
man 2D art is great.

But I didn't really like what they did with the Transdimensional Turtles.

Dat flash art was just meh at best.

I pray that it is not like TTG, because I thought thats what half shell heroes was supposed to be? So why repeat that?

If its like Justice League Action? Sure why not?

It sounds like they aren't going the grim and gritty route, and instead focusing on merchandising for kids. Thats A-OK in my books. I just hope whatever figures and merch comes with is of good quality.

Master Splinter
03-02-2017, 07:31 PM
I am very excited for this.

-ms

MikeandRaph87
03-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Archie's TMNTA does need some love. Why bother with rhe test footage related to TMNTA 21 and 22 and not developing the episode? The Future Shark Trilogy needs some focus instead of making Armaggon into the Turtles answer to Boba Fett.

IDW launched 14 months ahead of the Nicktoon and is poised to outlive it. No signs of stopping and adapts classic characters with respect. Its turned out to be the opposite of what I had expected.

Rukitron
03-02-2017, 07:34 PM
I'm praying for designs that don't make playmates omit paint apps on the figures...

Utrommaniac
03-02-2017, 07:34 PM
You know, there could be hope, with Andy Suriano as co-executive. We know how he pulled no punches in the original Samurai Jack line, so I doubt he'd let things go awry with a TMNT show.

And it would probably look pretty nifty too.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 07:41 PM
IDW launched 14 months ahead of the Nicktoon and is poised to outlive it. No signs of stopping and adapts classic characters with respect. Its turned out to be the opposite of what I had expected.

What were you expecting? Either way it was obvious IDW TMNT would go on longer than the Nick cartoon even if the show got 2 more seasons. Comics are much less expensive to produce than TV (obviously) so as long as sales remain stable they can go on for years.

sdp
03-02-2017, 07:48 PM
I think people are jumping to conclusions by saying TTG even if we've not seen anything yet though I"ll admit it was the first thing that popped to mind when I read the description. A TTG like show would be fun, that show is great and it's too bad people don't give it a chance. Of course it would also be a shame that the TMNT would lose all action elements but it'd still be a great show.

Remember the Shredder artwork we saw a while back? We speculated for a new show. The "hidden mystic powers" and the name "Rise of the TMNT" make it seem like it'll be an action show. Maybe the Justice League Action comparison is a better one to what the show might end up being, that could be an interesting take even of "hidden mystic powers they didn't know they had" sounds awfully lot like "Venus, the sister they didn't know they had." or "new show gimmick you didn't know existed".

I'm a bit sad The Nick show (though I guess it needs a better name now since we'll have a new "nick" show.) only got 5 seasons, I didn't love that take on the turtles but would've wanted to see more. Did they ever do a Battle Nexus on that show? When will the Nick show finish? Fall of this year or spring of 2018? I want to know so I can begin marathoning the complete show and finish my marathon as soon as the last episode airs

Ninjinister
03-02-2017, 07:56 PM
I think people are jumping to conclusions by saying TTG even if we've not seen anything yet though I"ll admit it was the first thing that popped to mind when I read the description. A TTG like show would be fun, that show is great and it's too bad people don't give it a chance.

I'll admit the way TTG is it obviously isn't something for everyone even though I like it. I just feel like people put too much emphasis on how every adaptation of something they like still needs to appeal to them.

IndigoErth
03-02-2017, 08:02 PM
What if the show is a 2D depiction of the PD turtles after the events of the first two films? :D
There's some fan art out there from at least a few people whose art style of them I actually kind of LOVE. If their style was heavily used as inspiration for the art, that would actually be okay by me. 2D does flatter their designs better and at least maybe those Turtles would finally get better stories! lol Buuuuut the "younger and lighter" thing kind of scratches that. (Shame, they'd work so easily as young adult Turtles.)

MikeandRaph87
03-02-2017, 08:02 PM
What were you expecting? Either way it was obvious IDW TMNT would go on longer than the Nick cartoon even if the show got 2 more seasons. Comics are much less expensive to produce than TV (obviously) so as long as sales remain stable they can go on for years.

Comics refused to adapt the other media that made it successful. Aside from archie I was extremely bored or irritated with the comics. Yet I LOVE IDW and grew increasingly disinterested with the Nicktoon. A comic being far superior and treating the franchise with better care and more fun than the cartoon? Its like bizarro world for an other media fan. I respect Peter and co. but cant get into it without other media love. I did not think a comic would ever do it. Tom and Bobby with Kevin did it. Neutrinos in name only, Chrome Dome in name only, Razhar a secondary name in name only. IDW not only uses these characters but actually does them better while maintaining roots. Can you honestly say Nick did a better job than IDW in handling the character?

Shellington
03-02-2017, 08:08 PM
This is cool, though I think it may be too early to announce a new TMNT show.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-cg-animated-series-gets-220000134.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Sounds fairly new and interesting. Will keep an eye out on this.

Bry
03-02-2017, 08:14 PM

On that thought, I wonder if this is a factor in them changing the branding for the 2012 series' DVD releases? Trying to differentiate it a bit more with the new show coming?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/TMNT2012_TalesSuperShredder.jpg

Not too excited based on what we're hearing so far. Adding an extra "gimmick" to the TMNT never works out well, and toning down the violence and all darker elements is far from what I want to see from the property. It'll probably be good fun for the little kids -- and I'm 33 and prooobably shouldn't complain about childrens' cartoons :tlol: -- but I know it's likely not what I'm looking for as a fan.

I've gotten a bit colder to the franchise as a whole lately anyway. The awful Bay movies made it a bit harder to feel like a "fan", and while I've mostly enjoyed this series I'm okay with it wrapping up at this point. I'll always follow the IDW comic, but it does kind of feel like we're getting closer to another "hibernation period" for the Turtles. And honestly, that idea doesn't bother me like it might've in the past.

This is why I assume the action will be heavily toned down -- the animation Nick has used for 2D Turtles stuff hasn't been too impressive, IMO. Pretty flat, Flash-like and cheap, and not the best for conveying action.

I get the reasoning they likely have behind these decisions. They just don't appeal to me at all. But I'm not the target audience here, I'm sure. :twink:

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Neutrinos in name only, Chrome Dome in name only, Razhar a secondary name in name only. IDW not only uses these characters but actually does them better while maintaining roots. Can you honestly say Nick did a better job than IDW in handling the character?

What do you mean Chrome Dome in "name only?" He's a goddamn robot. And Rahzar is Rahzar, it doesn't matter if he was a wolf or human.

Every single character is always updated or changed in new versions. How are the IDW incarnations not the same in "name only?" You can say the same thing there, since every character in IDW is a new take on an old character. Since when was Rat King a millenia old demon? Or Fugitoid a Neutrino, etc? There's nothing wrong with this, IDW updated the characters like Nick did.

I find it bizarre some of you complain Nick changes the characters too much when EVERY SERIES does it. 4kids made Rat King into a failed Bishop clone. The Shredder into an Utrom. So what on earth are you blaming this series for doing the same thing every other show did?

U2WaTCHer
03-02-2017, 08:50 PM
This new show idea totally sucks I been a turtle fan for almost 30 years. It's going to be all toony :( no continuation sucks too. I'm so tired of rebooting and redoing everything after we evolved so far. I am so disappointed with Nick's disrespect they given the TMNT. We can't help it they messed up the movie reboots but now mess with the current series. They could have tweaked the storyline or kept the same continuation in 2D with minor tweaks as well. This is not a good thing I'm sorry guys I'm just being honest.

Powder
03-02-2017, 08:57 PM
I'm really, really excited about this, yo. Back in August, I posted this in the "Your Ideal Turtles Show" thread-

I wanna see Andy Suriano's vision for the TMNT. He did all that character concept art that got rejected. It's weird as hell & could make for a very interesting change of pace.

& just 5 months later my dream came true! Wow! I genuinely think this series is in great hands. Andy's one creative son of a gun. He's big on action & zaniness, his vision will definitely be wacky as hell, but in a good way. I have a feeling it will be reminiscent of Nickelodeon & CN's 90's cartoons humor-wise, with Samurai-Jack tier action. A recipe I'd most certainly welcome with open arms. For those who are unaware, he's been intimately involved with the TMNT brand since Viacom bought them. He's done virtually all of the product design for the Nick series, as well as the DVD cover art, promotional pieces for season debuts, packaging for Playmates, you name it. Any piece of 2D Nick series art you see, on t-shirts, for example, that's our guy. Hell, most of the 3D render pieces you see, their poses are based on his sketches. Even the OOTS Bebop & Rocksteady shots from Crush soda. I was fortunate enough to meet him at a convention & gush about the property for 20 mins or so (got a commission too), he's super cool, humble, & passionate about his work. His original comic is really wild, somewhat reminds me of the turtles' space adventures from Mirage, actually. Y'all owe him an objective eye, he's gonna do some cool stuff, I'm certain. Most of you already like his art, ya just didn't know his name! :tlol:

It's too early to say given we don't have too much to go on, but this series sounds a lot like the one Playmates originally pitched in 1987. Pairing their intentions of exploring mysticism within the confines of a sludgy NYC with Andy, whose rejected designs for the last show were very much in the vein of their earliest villain concepts like Tom Sawyer & Bowmaster, makes me wonder if they actually are updating that original pitch. Despite my distaste for their current product offerings, I do love that old-school Playmates flavor, so it could be pretty amazing. I'm open minded. I hope there's more gross-out humor.

Of course many of us want darker stuff that harkens back to Mirage & the first film, but I doubt anyone realistically expected that. We got a lot of darkness in the Nick series at least. Maybe this one will give us the slice of life elements we want.

I know he made a few pitches over the years, I managed to convince him to post the art from one of them a while back.

http://i67.tinypic.com/30t2ec7.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2yty4hl.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily take this as a point of reference for what they're doing, since they rejected this one. But it's interesting all the same.

On that thought, I wonder if this is a factor in them changing the branding for the 2012 series' DVD releases? Trying to differentiate it a bit more with the new show coming?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/TMNT2012_TalesSuperShredder.jpg

Funny you'd post that, it's Andy's work!

https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/16464720_742231025935654_2313532207559344128_n.jpg

ABrown
03-02-2017, 09:11 PM
I certainly hope you're joking. I feel sorry for you if otherwise.

Yeah, I mean I guess it wasn't ALL bad. I actually found the Super Shredder second half of season four to be very entertaining. But the first half of season three with the farm episodes, and the first half of season four with the outer space episodes were absolutely unbearable.

I realized that my twin boys will be four years old when this new series starts. This is a whole new opportunity to get them into TMNT. They love watching episodes of the original series. Like me though, they haven't been all that entertained by the current series.

So whether not you enjoy the current Nick series, as a TMNT fan you should be excited for this new series. If you did enjoy the Nick series, then you should be glad that Nick is bringing us more TMNT. If you didn't enjoy the current series, then there's a chance that maybe this new series will be more entertaining than the current one.

Kendamu
03-02-2017, 09:13 PM
If they take notes from what worked in "Don vs Raph," then I'm all-in on this new thing!

Vivi
03-02-2017, 09:21 PM
This show would benefit using the writers (not to mention Producers/Directors) that have the creativity, nuance and continuity skills of the Airbender crew. Not to slam the 2012 writers, I'm sure they were restricted on what they could do. As for the animation style, anything from updated 2k3 "anime" to Jhonen Vasquez's short would be neat. I think it is a mistake to make it too kiddy. Make the characters genuinely interesting and you'll follow them anywhere.

Freeman
03-02-2017, 09:33 PM
I must say you guys never stop to impress me: I post here, go watch a couple of 'The Last Airbender' episodes and for the time I come back you are 7 pages into the thread :lol:

So, back on topic. I agree with most here that an Auman style woud be very fan to watch, but I hope they avoid 10min episodes because no plot can be built in such format.

I am also surprised that nobody mentioned the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon from 2000: It had action, humor, mystical talismans that gave powers... and it was very fun to watch! It also had a lighter tone and was very family friendly, so maybe this could be pointing somewhere there.

I know turtles have never had 'powers' before, and what is and what isn't funny is a very subjective matter, but this could, while beeing a redefinition of the characters, help build a consistent new incarnation of the turtles.

I'm not hoping the greatest out of it, but neither should we be assuming it's going to be a TTG-ish nonsense when we still haven't seen any of it and thinking heads of the project have such a reputation.

Jacki Chan Adventures tone and plot style is my call.

sdp
03-02-2017, 09:43 PM
The turtles had mystic powers they didn't know they had in Season 5 of the 2k3 show and it was awful.

Powder's impressions give me hope even if I don't like the artwork he posted. I still think the show will be more like the Justice League Action show but I'll even take a Teen Titans Go take, I think that could be fun.

In the end while it's sad there'll be no mutant crazy heavy TMNT 3 movie or S6 of the Nick show I'm glad we won't have to wait long for the next incarnation.

I haven't been excited for something turtles related since the OT/Nick crossover maybe a bit with the OOTS trailer and even then the last time I really was super excited for the franchise was when the Nick show began.

Utrommaniac
03-02-2017, 09:51 PM
The Jackie Chan comparison is pretty interesting, considering that it's another 4Kids original show, so the animation and writing styles are similar.

Heck, they both even have Enormously Big Man men.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 09:53 PM
The turtles had mystic powers they didn't know they had in Season 5 of the 2k3 show and it was awful.

No it wasn't, many people enjoyed it.

Technogeek29
03-02-2017, 09:58 PM
I must say you guys never stop to impress me: I post here, go watch a couple of 'The Last Airbender' episodes and for the time I come back you are 7 pages into the thread :lol:

So, back on topic. I agree with most here that an Auman style woud be very fan to watch, but I hope they avoid 10min episodes because no plot can be built in such format.

I am also surprised that nobody mentioned the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon from 2000: It had action, humor, mystical talismans that gave powers... and it was very fun to watch! It also had a lighter tone and was very family friendly, so maybe this could be pointing somewhere there.

I know turtles have never had 'powers' before, and what is and what isn't funny is a very subjective matter, but this could, while beeing a redefinition of the characters, help build a consistent new incarnation of the turtles.

I'm not hoping the greatest out of it, but neither should we be assuming it's going to be a TTG-ish nonsense when we still haven't seen any of it and thinking heads of the project have such a reputation.

Jacki Chan Adventures tone and plot style is my call.

I can work with that, I like the Jackie Chan animated series.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
03-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Some fans would actually like to see some attempts to make these characters a bit more 3-Dimensional and taken more seriously (it doesn't have to be Shakespeare, and it doesn't have to be 'Nolan's Batman films'). Marvel Films & DC Animated Films are good examples of this.

So we either got those Bay-ism movies, and now a 'younger/lighter/more humorous' show? Why, so that even less people take the characters seriously than the bottom level that they're at right now?

Great job, Nickel-N-Diming Nickelodeon :roll:

I'll admit, the 2012 Nick show had its' moments...but at the same time, it felt like it didn't know what it wanted to be. Many moments and aspects of a 'silly throwback to the 80s' cartoon' and then once in a blue moon? They threw in something 'dark'. And even some fans of the show can admit that there were many things that they didn't follow through with...

Money-wise? Yeah, this 'new show' makes sense. Creative & character wise aka people who actually care about these characters and not just the $? This is such backwards thinking that it's dumbfounding.

Ninjinister
03-02-2017, 10:16 PM
There's some fan art out there from at least a few people whose art style of them I actually kind of LOVE. If their style was heavily used as inspiration for the art, that would actually be okay by me. 2D does flatter their designs better and at least maybe those Turtles would finally get better stories! lol Buuuuut the "younger and lighter" thing kind of scratches that. (Shame, they'd work so easily as young adult Turtles.)

Sophie Campbell's done some illustrations of the OotS designs and they look marvelous. Made me wish they'd actually done comic adaptations/prequels like they'd done for the first four.

PApagreg
03-02-2017, 10:19 PM
The Jackie Chan comparison is pretty interesting, considering that it's another 4Kids original show, so the animation and writing styles are similar.

Heck, they both even have Enormously Big Man men.

Jackie Chan Adventures was WB

Freeman
03-02-2017, 10:30 PM
Jackie Chan Adventures was WB

My memory also said it was CN.
Apparently we are all somehow right
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Chan_Adventures

Andrew NDB
03-02-2017, 10:31 PM
I think people are jumping to conclusions by saying TTG even if we've not seen anything yet

Although in short order Viacom/Nick has seen "Out of the Shadows" fail dramatically (itself, a pseudo-dingy remagining of Fred Wolf, which they revere) and the Nick cartoon ratings dwindle to tiny numbers.

We have been wondering their answer to this. Will they age it up? Will they do the source material a little better service, age appropriately?

"Youngen them up. More humor."

That's what has been agreed in board meetings. Yikes.

Redemption
03-02-2017, 10:39 PM
I wish they would just make an adult tmnt cartoon! I guarantee that the success will blow their minds.

There is a huge crowd for this and we all know it. I am not saying walk away from also having something for the young kids but cater something new towards the people who have supported TMNT since day 1.

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 10:40 PM
They could have just adapted the IDW comics into episodes too if they wanted. There's now enough IDW material to fill at least 52 episodes of a cartoon.

ProphetofGanja
03-02-2017, 10:42 PM
This is really interesting. I haven't been a fun of any of the TMNT cartoons I've seen so far, besides watching the original one as a kid. Tried rewatching some of it a while back for nostalgia's sake and it was just way too goofy.

The Samurai Jack angle could be cool. But then again I'm most excited for Samurai Jack now that they've finally thrown off the limitations they had in its original run, when they had to make all the violence against robots or gooshy aliens and mutants with funny-colored blood. I'm a fan of Teen Titans Go, I get that it's poking fun at aspects of the DC universe that were already silly to begin with. The thing about TMNT though is at its most basic level you have to take one incredibly ridiculous concept very seriously and then from there you can interpret it in a lot of different ways. I wouldn't mind seeing a zany and silly TMNT cartoon aimed at young children but I would love to see an adult series air during a programming block like adult swim or Toonami or just come out on one of the big streaming services like Netflix of Hulu. Maybe Amazon Prime. But not Yahoo. Viacom could tap into a whole market they don't even know they have. I love animation but I want something geared towards an adult. I want to see teenagers being teenagers, telling the kinds of jokes that me and my actual teenage friends actually told each other

The mystic powers angle could either be really cool if done well or it could turn out like that one season of Scooby Doo that no one talks about where him, Shaggy and Daphne drove the Mystery Machine around the globe hunting ghosts and Shaggy had a different color shirt for some reason. Ugh, and Scrappy Doo. The ****ing worst.

Bry
03-02-2017, 10:49 PM
The "mystic powers" thing just reminds me of all the other gimmicks they've latched onto the property when it's been in its death throes over the years. And by now we know that TMNT always bounces back after a little time-out... But every time things dwindle for a specific iteration, they try to change up the formula in some way and it always falls flat and dies out in a year or two anyway. Mystic powers, going to the future, "cyber" elements, soft reboots with new, awkwardly shoehorned-in villains and allies... How often have these things paid off? At best, they stave off cancellation for a year instead of just letting the current series bow out when it probably should.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong. If there's real talent involved and they make something truly special, I am on board. But this tack just feels very familiar.

I have noticed a lot of TMNT toys on sale/clearance of late in my area, with reduced shelf space... Totally anecdotal, but we've seen the same tactics used on the toy lines, and I don't think it's ever really helped turn things around.

TheCanadiandrome
03-02-2017, 10:51 PM
Damn another new series when I haven't even seen the rest of the current one for cripesake because Nickelodeon can't get their sh*t together to air it in Canada

CyberCubed
03-02-2017, 10:51 PM
The "mystic powers" thing just reminds me of all of the other gimmicks they've latched onto the property when it's been in its death throes over the years. By now we know that TMNT always bounces back after a little time-out... but every time things dwindle for a specific iteration, they try to change up the formula in some way, and it always falls flat and dies out in a year or two anyway. Mystic powers, going to the future, "cyber" elements, soft reboots with new villains and allies... How often have these things paid off?

All this stuff is in the Mirage material. And yes you're right that it happens at the tail-end of a show, but that's mainly because the writers more or less exhaust their ideas as they covered the story they want to.

The 2k3 writers weren't allowed to use any old mutants or characters, so they didn't have much to do after awhile. The Nick cartoon has also pretty much exhausted most of the older characters, or the ones they want to use anyway, and are ending their story at Season 5.

RaphaelinSTL
03-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Although in short order Viacom/Nick has seen "Out of the Shadows" fail dramatically (itself, a pseudo-dingy remagining of Fred Wolf, which they revere) and the Nick cartoon ratings dwindle to tiny numbers.

We have been wondering their answer to this. Will they age it up? Will they do the source material a little better service, age appropriately?

"Youngen them up. More humor."

That's what has been agreed in board meetings. Yikes.

Yeah, I find that to be the most despairing. :tgrumble:

Wildcat
03-02-2017, 10:57 PM
I have a couple episodes on my DVR that I haven't seen yet that just got pretty spoiled reading through this topic but that's ok :lol:

Those Comic Con shorts are amazing. I would absolutely love that as a series. Lots of fun and action but not stupidness.

Anyway I'm going to assume it's NOT going to be like Teen Titans Go! Cartoons finally seem to be moving away from that format fortunately.

This sounds cool. I don't mind a lighter toned series. The mystic powers and going on adventures sounds cool.

Vicky82
03-02-2017, 11:39 PM
I'm still a bit skepticle over this new show but i'm still keeping an open mind, i'm just going to wait until I see more info,production stuff ect but if it sounds awful or too light tone for me, I will still watch it, TMNT fan for life.

As we getting a reboot show so soon after this current show, I wouldn't be surprised if they are already planning a reboot movie.

Xav
03-03-2017, 12:23 AM
The 2k3 writers weren't allowed to use any old mutants or characters, so they didn't have much to do after awhile.Not true they used plenty of old characters.

METALHEAD
03-03-2017, 01:01 AM
I dont mind the rumor- lightness. I just want mikey and donnie to be buddy-buddy pals and throw jokes and gags with each other im curious of the mew voice acting' the new designs! However it does sound like jumping the shark abit?

Regardless I'll see if i like it. Honestly they should make a show based off the current 2014/2016 movies. Give us some stories that happen after krang's attempted invasion.

Other then that. Eh. I'm mostly curious at this point. Maybe they can make them look more like mirage turtles in a toony way?

Cure
03-03-2017, 01:41 AM
A show can't jump the shark before it even starts. Come on, man.

Wildcat
03-03-2017, 01:47 AM
Ya. If they wanna go in a different direction it's better they give it its own show instead of changing the tone of the current show like they did with Fast Forward.

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 02:03 AM
Ya. If they wanna go in a different direction it's better they give it its own show instead of changing the tone of the current show like they did with Fast Forward.

FF barely changed the tone aside from some catch phrases and some slightly more humor.

Redworld96
03-03-2017, 02:14 AM
Has Ciro Nieli made any comments on this anywhere online? I'm curious to know if he's involved in the show in any capacity.

Someone asked him (by instagram I think) and he says he's not involved in the new show. Screenshot in spoilers because it's big:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/9e3ad3d99ce41498b7d000ef5799f916/tumblr_om7yavx5Xp1u2yl87o1_540.png

ToTheNines
03-03-2017, 03:24 AM
I just remebered Suriano did this cover a while back.

http://comicsalliance.com/files/2015/05/TMNT01.jpg

Kendamu
03-03-2017, 03:38 AM

Ciro was planning five seasons all along. He said so back at Power-Con in Anaheim between the first and second season.

METALHEAD
03-03-2017, 04:25 AM
Young pups want april black.

...i'm kinda hoping they make her Hispanic just for the nice change of individuality.

TheBlueTurtle1
03-03-2017, 04:26 AM
I think we have to wait and see, As soon we see a clip/trailer, we will be clear what direction the new tv show will be taking.

A bit annoyed that the 2012 show is coming to an end, but we all knew that was the case.

It would be nice to see some official artwork or something to go along with this announcement. My guess is they might not want to overshadow the last season of the current show.

turtlefanforever
03-03-2017, 05:28 AM
Didn't expect a new series so soon. Tentatively excited.

It'll be nice to see a nick tmnt series with "more humor" compared to 2012s none.

But the "toned down" makes me think this is gonna bomb. How do you "tone down" 2012? Will they be speaking in baby talk the whole series? Thats the only way they can pander to kids lower than the current series already is.

But like i've posted in another thread on here TMNT has a cycle of producing GOOD then BAD/GENERALLY HATED cartoons. And the last series was/is bad so this one can only be good. TMNT has never doubled down on bad stuff.

This should probably be in General too for folks that don't watch nick. I get why it's here but still, it is a new series after all.

PS hope they get new voice actors aside from Paulson. And i actually kinda like cypes. Seth and whoever the other guy is have gotta go. They don't seem or feel natural to the characters.

ZariusTwo
03-03-2017, 05:45 AM
Interested in the decision to make it more light-hearted, I always preffered TMNT to be more light than dark...but big network's idea of humour for today's kids does'nt quite gel with the humour a lot of us grew up on. Perhaps if it's a little like Steven Universe's early blend of story and comedy I could see myself enjoying it (although I've steadily gone off that show in recent months)

Time will tell, I'm just glad 2012 is done. I acknowledge it did some pretty good things, but it rarely worked for me

ToTheNines
03-03-2017, 05:53 AM
But like i've posted in another thread on here TMNT has a cycle of producing GOOD then BAD/GENERALLY HATED cartoons. And the last series was/is bad so this one can only be good. TMNT has nrver doubled down on bas stuff.

If anything, this is to the 2012 show as Next Mutation was to the Fred Wolf show.

turtlefanforever
03-03-2017, 05:57 AM
Oh my Gooood, if they make an episode where they make fun of Teen Titans like Teen Titans Go made fun of TMNT, I'll diiiiiie.

I'd like to see that.

turtlefanforever
03-03-2017, 05:59 AM

Totally agree!!

Powder
03-03-2017, 06:38 AM
Not that it's too likely they will, but I'd love it if they took some cues from Adventure Time, which has a great balance of humor, action, & slice of life episodes. You could definitely make a good TMNT cartoon inspired by its tone.

TheBlueTurtle1
03-03-2017, 06:56 AM
Maybe, just maybe, Nick might actually air this show so we get one episode every week in a row, that way we don't stop caring about storylines.:x

Danetello
03-03-2017, 07:12 AM
My only two points here at this VERY early stage are as follows:

1. I hope that it isn't aimed at too young of an audience. I want a show that anyone can watch, like what we have now. I would hate for it be dumbed down even further and be like a series for under 10s.

2. This will be the fourth animated series, but the very first not bear the proper TMNT title, by adding "Rise of" to it. I just think that's interesting.

RaphaelinSTL
03-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Yeah, the more I think about this show...the more it bums me out since I feel this is a step backwards into what the franchise needs TV show wise. Like someone mentioned earlier, it wouldn't be such a hard hit if we were actually getting more takes on the live action films that felt more mature. With them retooling TMNT for future movies, I'm optimistic that someone will eventually get it right down the road. At least I'm hoping...

I know Nick is pretty crappy when it comes to the home video department, but they'd be foolish not to release the 2012 series as a full box set when it's all said and done..right?

TheBlueTurtle1
03-03-2017, 08:21 AM
I see Andy Suriano worked on the new Mickey Mouse shorts, I wonder if the new TMNT show will be anything like that.:ohwell:

neatoman
03-03-2017, 08:25 AM
A reboot within this decade? Pretty sure I called it.

Andrew NDB
03-03-2017, 10:15 AM
The "mystic powers" thing just reminds me of all the other gimmicks they've latched onto the property when it's been in its death throes over the years.

Correct. That they even have to think "what gimmick should we add?" with their new TMNT show is indicative of desperation. And yeah, this is what always seems to happen.

TMNT 4 (the one that never happened): Let's give them all a new MUTATION! New POWERS!
NT:TNM: Let's add a female Turtle! With MAGIC!
2K3: Let's make this season about MAGIC POWERS! Let's make this season about TIME TRAVEL TO THE FUTURE! Let's make this season about COOL HACKING TECHNO STUFF!
PDTMNT: Let's make them HUMAN-LIKE! And BULLETPROOF!

etc., etc.

Never once is it ever, "Let's get together and come up with the best possible Ninja Turtles project, and put all of our energy into that."

RaphaelinSTL
03-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Correct. That they even have to think "what gimmick should we add?" with their new TMNT show is indicative of desperation. And yeah, this is what always seems to happen.

TMNT 4 (the one that never happened): Let's give them all a new MUTATION! New POWERS!
NT:TNM: Let's add a female Turtle! With MAGIC!
2K3: Let's make this season about MAGIC POWERS! Let's make this season about TIME TRAVEL TO THE FUTURE! Let's make this season about COOL HACKING TECHNO STUFF!
PDTMNT: Let's make them HUMAN-LIKE! And BULLETPROOF!

etc., etc.

Never once is it ever, "Let's get together and come up with the best possible Ninja Turtles project, and put all of our energy into that."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y083uOcg1fc/VWjsqOmLDTI/AAAAAAADuR4/9-n_M8xXVuU/s400/7ac.jpg

plastroncafe
03-03-2017, 10:42 AM
I disagree.
I think they are trying to make the best ninja turtle product.
They just have a different definition of what a good product is.

Andrew NDB
03-03-2017, 11:00 AM
I think they are trying to make the best ninja turtle product.

"Product" is right.

McTMNT™ lives on.

plastroncafe
03-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Yeah, but you say that like this hasn't been the case since Mirage started their Guest Artist phase.

Every single iteration has done this, even with the comics.
Similar things can be said about the Archie, Image, DW, and even IDW runs.

ZariusTwo
03-03-2017, 11:11 AM
What good is a used car without a spiffier looking set of wheels?

Andrew NDB
03-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but you say that like this hasn't been the case since Mirage started their Guest Artist phase.

Yeah, but that was borne out of necessity (Kevin and Peter getting too busy dealing with McTMNT™), not "Oh no, sales are down, what gimmick can we do to get them back??"

I guess you could say Erik Larsen intended the Turtles' initial injuries as a sales gimmick with Image Vol. 3, though first and foremost that was just Erik wanting visual distinction. Oddly.

The Cyber Samurai stuff in Archies was definitely a sales gimmick. I can't really think of any others.

What good is a used car without a spiffier looking set of wheels?

It's less that and more, "What good is a used, classic car without... this Yo Quiero Taco Bell bobble head dog we added behind the back window?"

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Well with Ciro not involved it's likely going to have nothing to do with the Nick cartoon. Still I wonder if it could have some loose continuity, especially if the Turtles have the same voice actors.

Andrew NDB
03-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Well with Ciro not involved it's likely going to have nothing to do with the Nick cartoon. Still I wonder if it could have some loose continuity, especially if the Turtles have the same voice actors.

Very doubtful. But I do wager it'll have at least some of the same voice actors, if not all. Cipes is pushing this new show pretty hard for someone that wouldn't be being a part of it.

graphic_content
03-03-2017, 11:28 AM

What scares me are the words "younger", and "lighter" - I have to agree with some on these boards that say TMNT will never be taken seriously as a property with gravity and weight so long as the people in charge keep aiming EVERYTHING they produce at children.

I, like many here, am NOT a fan of Teen Titans GO!. There are some fun moments to be had, but the show is basically sketch comedy, portioned into half episodes to keep small attention spans occupied. Its literally a shell of its former self.

I have no problem with them taking a more 'mystical' turn, as ninja-lore is often associated with japanese mythology, but if this is fitting to become ninjas with superpowers (a la Naruto) just so they can sling spells instead of having actual fight sequences, that would bum me out too.

I would like, however, Donatello's personality to return to that of the OT or 2k3 series. His personality for the CG Nick run has been a big turn off to me. Not the Donnie I remember growing up. But to each his own.

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Well for one thing they're out of a job, I'm sure they want to continue voicing the Turtles just for money's sake. Then again Seth Green, etc. all are famous and act in many different movies/tv shows.

Vicky82
03-03-2017, 11:33 AM
Well for one thing they're out of a job, I'm sure they want to continue voicing the Turtles just for money's sake. Then again Seth Green, etc. all are famous and act in many different movies/tv shows.

No they are not out of the Job, they've all got other projects.

THGhost
03-03-2017, 11:44 AM
a character designer for Samurai Jack is a co-exec producer for this new series, So it could probably have a Samurai Jack art style?

That's what I'm hoping for.

I really hope they still have the same cast, for continuity sake.

Reboots don't usually keep continuity though, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an all-new cast. I'd like it if they did keep the old one though.

LOL, what? The Fred Wolf cartoon and Teen Titans GO are absolutely nothing alike.

You know what they meant.

No they are not out of the Job, they've all got other projects.

I think he meant to say that they're out of this particular job. :P They still have 1 more season to go though.

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Ciro Nieli seems rather bummed judging by his reply. I wonder if he thinks the business execs screwed him over by canceling his show and then making a new one immediately after and not letting him be involved with it in any capacity. They could at least let him write some episodes.

THGhost
03-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Ciro Nieli seems rather bummed judging by his reply. I wonder if he thinks the business execs screwed him over by canceling his show and then making a new one immediately after and not letting him be involved with it in any capacity. They could at least let him write some episodes.

I would definitely feel as though I'd been screwed over if that ever happened to me.

Ninjinister
03-03-2017, 11:57 AM
What's weird, is just a few days ago, I was thinking to myself that it was weird that literally every property that got a new incarnation that was not connected by continuity is considered a "reboot" - even the Platinum Dunes TMNT movies - but not the TMNT series. They were all just referred to as "new series" and not reboots. And yet... that's the nomenclature that seems to be exclusively used here.

Not that it's too likely they will, but I'd love it if they took some cues from Adventure Time, which has a great balance of humor, action, & slice of life episodes. You could definitely make a good TMNT cartoon inspired by its tone.

Ew. Please no.

Utrommaniac
03-03-2017, 12:04 PM
...Soo TTG is okay in your book, but Adventure Time, which has branched unrecognizably from its original form, isn't?

I could see something like seasons 5-8 of AT, personally. It seems more...wistful these days. Not "lol randum" in the slightest. Especially not after The Lich shaking up the status quo.

biganimefan
03-03-2017, 12:05 PM
When I first saw the title thread last night I was really happy. After reading what it's about though, I am a bit worried. Even more so than when I read the details of the 1st Nick series before it began. However, I will reserve judgment until after it actually starts.

I am hoping that we'll see writers and producers that care about the franchise and we'll see something with greater than average intelligence(which any kids show SHOULD be anyway). And it'll be the first "current" TMNT show that I can see with my son that he MIGHT remember(depends if we get more than 2 or 3 seasons out of this).

And honestly, I really don't expect a Mirage(or greater) level of TMNT for a cartoon that is not on Netflix or an online streaming site. Maybe if "great" mature animated series' on tv were more of a thing, that could change.

plastroncafe
03-03-2017, 12:09 PM
I've heard good things about Adventure Time, but I've never been able to get into it. There's something about that kind of animation that just doesn't do it for me.

I will say that what I've tumblr-watched about Adventure Time has me thinking about giving it a second go.

Well that and having an Episode Exchange with a friend who has the same problem with Steven Universe that I have with Adventure time.

I really just want to see character designs.
And...now I'm also kind of wondering if that Animated Short Series from SDCC last year had anything to do with this new show....

Andrew NDB
03-03-2017, 12:13 PM
There is a part of me that wouldn't mind a Rick & Morty-style show... with Donatello and Renet, like, constantly sweeping up the rest of the Turtles to go on strange adventures.

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Why do so many modern cartoons go for that cheap flash-style animation with the huge black outlines for the characters? I don't get it, so many Nick and Cartoon Network shows look like that and it's so off-putting.

I don't know why cartoons can't be well animated anymore.

Ninjinister
03-03-2017, 12:28 PM
...Soo TTG is okay in your book, but Adventure Time, which has branched unrecognizably from its original form, isn't?

Crazy, isn't it? I can enjoy one thing but not something else that is completely different?

neatoman
03-03-2017, 12:32 PM
There is a part of me that wouldn't mind a Rick & Morty-style show... with Donatello and Renet, like, constantly sweeping up the rest of the Turtles to go on strange adventures.

I'm gonna guess Renet is the Rick in that scenario.

Renet: And then we're gonna go on even more adventures after that, Donatello and you're gonna keep your mouth shut about it, Donatello, because the world is full of idiots that don't understand what's important, and they'll tear us apart, Donatello but if you stick with me, I'm gonna accomplish great things, Donatello, and you're gonna be part of them, and together, we're gonna run around, Donatello. We're gonna do all kinds of wonderful things, Donatello. Just you and me, Donatello. The outside world is our enemy, Donatello. We're the only friends we've got, Donatello. It's just Renet and Donatello. Renet and Donatello and their adventures, Donatello. Renet and Donatello forever and forever. Donatello things. Me and Renet and Donatello running around, and Renet and Donatello time. All day long, forever. All a hundred days. Renet and Donatello forever 100 times. Over and over, renetanddonatello adventures.com. All 100 years. Every minute, renetanddonatello.com.

ranger_scout
03-03-2017, 12:50 PM
I'm looking forward to it. The 2D animation sounds like a nice throwback as well. Whenever I'm feeling down, it makes me happy to see something light-hearted to brighten up my day.

Andrew NDB
03-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Seems silly to call it a "throwback." Did anyone call the 4Kids show a "throwback," because it went back to cel animation after NT:TNM went live-action?

THGhost
03-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Why do so many modern cartoons go for that cheap flash-style animation with the huge black outlines for the characters? I don't get it, so many Nick and Cartoon Network shows look like that and it's so off-putting.

I don't know why cartoons can't be well animated anymore.

And those teeth and those mouths. I hate the way those are drawn.

Donatello19
03-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Unpopular opinion here, but I think that a TMNT show in the style of TTG could actually be really funny. We've had our fair share of "serious" TMNT (comics, most of the movies, the 2003 series, 2012 series, etc) so I think a humor focused show could actually be a nice change of pace.

And really, so soon after the 2012 series, would we REALLY want to start all over again being introduced to the turtles, their origin story, etc? I know I wouldn't want to jump into an entire new story oriented series this soon.

Ninjinister
03-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Unpopular opinion here, but I think that a TMNT show in the style of TTG could actually be really funny. We've had our fair share of "serious" TMNT (comics, most of the movies, the 2003 series, 2012 series, etc) so I think a humor focused show could actually be a nice change of pace.

And really, so soon after the 2012 series, would we REALLY want to start all over again being introduced to the turtles, their origin story, etc? I know I wouldn't want to jump into an entire new story oriented series this soon.

As someone mentioned, it actually sounds a lot more like Justice League Action, which I think would work in this case. They didn't go through all of the known characters' backstories at all... just jumped right into stopping bad guys and punching stuff.

Andrew NDB
03-03-2017, 01:21 PM
We've had our fair share of "serious" TMNT (comics, most of the movies, the 2003 series, 2012 series, etc) so I think a humor focused show could actually be a nice change of pace.

All of those you list are humor-focused. They certainly aren't anything else-focused. I mean there's action, but that's peripheral.

And haven't we already got a "Rise"?

http://www.postpostmoderndad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/tmnt-rise-of-turtles.jpg

neatoman
03-03-2017, 01:35 PM
All of those you list are humor-focused. They certainly aren't anything else-focused. I mean there's action, but that's peripheral.

http://www.postpostmoderndad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/tmnt-rise-of-turtles.jpg

Not as a series name though.

Though I'm not sure what we'll call the current show though, we can't call it the Nicktoon anymore since it's only the first Nick produced show. Tales, maybe? Since it's the name it'll conclude with.

Then we'd have:
Fred Wolf
Next Mutation
4Kids
Tales
Rise

Andrew NDB
03-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Nick1, Nick2.

inaheap
03-03-2017, 02:01 PM
I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic. At least it probably means we have a few more years of turtle mania.

plastroncafe
03-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Not as a series name though.

Though I'm not sure what we'll call the current show though, we can't call it the Nicktoon anymore since it's only the first Nick produced show. Tales, maybe? Since it's the name it'll conclude with.

Then we'd have:
Fred Wolf
Next Mutation
4Kids
Tales
Rise

OT
NM
2k3
2k7
2k12
Which would make the new show the Nick Toon, or 2k18.

snake
03-03-2017, 02:17 PM
I call the Nick show either "The Nick Show" or "2k12". It fits.

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 02:20 PM
I actually wish they held off until at least 2020 for a new cartoon. Feels too soon to start it right after the current series.

I also liked how each decade of kids had a different show to grow up with:

80's/90's kids = Original cartoon

Early 2000's kids = 4kids series, as it started in 2003 and ended in 2009

2010's era kids: Nick which started in 2012 and may end in either late 2017 or early 2018.

IndigoErth
03-03-2017, 03:03 PM
I will be sad if this is aimed just at little kids and is unappealing to older audiences. I can appreciate cute kid stuff to some extent, but some of the stupidness other Nick shows like to aim for... ugh. Please no. Even if young, it just better be cute and still a decent enough representation, seeing how this one will likely be my nephew's introduction until he's old enough to watch repeats/video of the other three.

If this is kiddie stuff though, when many would very gladly see them continue to get past the "kid's thing" stigma (not losing it entirely, just expanding)... seriously, Nick/Viacom, you owe us a grown up TMNT one day. Viacom's got other channels they could do a mature cartoon on... (Heck, their channel Spike recently got rebranded as "The Paramount Network". Could run an older series a little hand-in-hand with future movie iterations.)

Young pups want april black.

...i'm kinda hoping they make her Hispanic just for the nice change of individuality.
Or like a lot of people these days and in the future, maybe mixed? Her dad's an Irish O'Neil (gotta get that name from somewhere) and her mom, who we haven't (ever in any version? not counting Mom-thing) met, is Hispanic?

Either way I'd at least like to have April back as an adult.

I know Nick is pretty crappy when it comes to the home video department, but they'd be foolish not to release the 2012 series as a full box set when it's all said and done..right?
I would not be surprised at all if at some point they do a plastic Shellraiser case akin to the Turtle Van case that exists for the original cartoon.

Vegita-San
03-03-2017, 03:16 PM
i just want it to have some kind of good vision.
choose one person to run it, not five, and keep playmates as far away as possible.

oh, and make sure the people in charge of it aren't jerks this time ;o)

plastroncafe
03-03-2017, 03:17 PM
^^^^^^^^^
this
^^^^^^^^^

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 03:42 PM
i just want it to have some kind of good vision.
choose one person to run it, not five,

TV shows aren't your little fanfiction. One person can't run a show direction/writing wise all by himself.

snake
03-03-2017, 03:44 PM
How were the Nick crew jerks?

ToTheNines
03-03-2017, 04:06 PM

Obviously there are plenty of exciting new directions one could take TMNT in, but... This kind of stuff makes me think Viacom is running out of ideas

What do we call our Bayturtles sequel? Let's name it after that video game we made 2 years ago.

What do we call our new cartoon? Let's name it after the first episode of its direct predecessor.

Powder
03-03-2017, 04:42 PM
How were the Nick crew jerks?

By not appreciating being hit up on Facebook constantly... :tlol: :roll:

oldmanwinters
03-03-2017, 05:09 PM

Exactly! The Amazon search results are gonna get all jumbled up next year!

Freeman
03-03-2017, 06:03 PM
I'm most certain they'll realise the miss-information this would create and change it: it's the working title and they've got more than a year ahead.

Ninjinister
03-03-2017, 06:38 PM
By not appreciating being hit up on Facebook constantly... :tlol: :roll:

The only people who had problems with the crew, that I saw, were the ones who were antagonistic to them in the first place.

Aaronardo
03-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Oh, right, because rebooting it with another show the year the other show ends won't saturate sh*t. :roll:

God help us all if this is Teen Titans Go for TMNT, which is exactly what this sounds like. Granted, we're going off a couple sentences here, but I'm really not a fan of those couple of sentences. If they can make it funny, then it'll be all good, but if it's a response to TTG, a show that derives its entire sense of humor from being over-the-top-bonkers all the time, I just can't see it working.

Even if you enjoy that kind of humor, it's the kind of humor you can't quite replicate if the right people aren't put on it (Ren & Stimpy, Shrek).

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 06:43 PM
God help us all if this is Teen Titans Go for TMNT, which is exactly what this sounds like. Granted, we're going off a couple sentences here, but I'm really not a fan of those couple of sentences. If they can make it funny, then it'll be all good, but if it's a response to TTG, a show that derives its entire sense of humor from being over-the-top-bonkers all the time, I just can't see it working.

Well that type of show will work, it just won't be for us. Teen Titans Go was a massive success for Cartoon Network, hence why they marathon it on their schedule all the time and why so many other shows are trying to copy it.

MikeandRaph87
03-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Is this restart in response to the deaths? Why not just revive them in-story and light up the tone? Seems a more cohesive approach.

GoldMutant
03-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Oh goody, more comedic based series? :roll:

Honestly though, like others I cannot judge based on the minimal details. I'd need artwork or a preview to fully judge it.

Also, while I'm happy Viacom isn't going to let the franchise's license be sat on and left in limbo, I just don't understand why TMNT is primarily marketed for children. Obviously for newer generations to attach onto the franchise, but it gets rather repetitious of the same mentality. Of course, parts of this particular incarnation and others have darker elements, but it never seems TMNT can be taken seriously. That's subjective though, but I really wish there could be more experimentation.

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Is this restart in response to the deaths? Why not just revive them in-story and light up the tone? Seems a more cohesive approach.

It's a combination of the Nick cartoon running its course, Ciro got the 5 seasons he wanted to make, the sense of darkness and on-screen deaths have gotten the business execs spooked, and the business execs probably want to rebrand with a new TMNT series for the next wave of kids and ratings.

One good thing though is it proves Viacom still sees value in the TMNT property. It's not like they're killing it off to just sit on it and lock it away in some vault or something.

Aaronardo
03-03-2017, 07:23 PM
I am glad they're holding onto the property rather than forgetting about it forever in the magic vault of Viacom franchises, and it does make sense if they go for a more TTG style, but it just pains me to see TMNT fall in line with whatever's the most trending thing. I expect this kind of thing from Nickelodeon, sure, but it's sad that I now have to expect the same from TMNT.

HOWEVER, given the art and Powder's post on the creator I am willing to give it a chance. But I can't help but see a lot of executive meddling on a show going in that kind of direction.

TigerClaw
03-03-2017, 07:25 PM
It's a combination of the Nick cartoon running its course, Ciro got the 5 seasons he wanted to make, the sense of darkness and on-screen deaths have gotten the business execs spooked, and the business execs probably want to rebrand with a new TMNT series for the next wave of kids and ratings.

One good thing though is it proves Viacom still sees value in the TMNT property. It's not like they're killing it off to just sit on it and lock it away in some vault or something.
and they still see it as a Kids property, so chances are we won't see a TMNT series with dark elements for a while, since the new series will be aimed at a younger audience.

Which makes you wonder if that's the direction TMNT is going in the foreseeable future?

And the comics will be the only place to see the dark elements.

And your right, The Nick execs might have been nervous, with how this series managed to get away with some of the violence in a Sunday morning time slot.

The series showed Splinter getting stabbed twice, at the end of Season 3, and then near the end of Season 4, This show didn't shy away from showing Splinter getting impaled by those blades, which was pretty brutal even if there was no blood, or when TigerClaw lost his hand.

turtlefanforever
03-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Like it or not this is the breath of fresh air TMNT needed. Nobodys interested in the 2012 series. It's clear what they're doing right now isn't working. They're trying to revitalize the franchise, and i hope this works and becomes successful (and is actually good).

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Nobodys interested in the 2012 series. It's clear what they're doing right now isn't working. T

Go away, troll.

Coola Yagami
03-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Finally a TMNT that's not for me! I'm already going to be past 40 by the time this comes out, and unlike Batman and The Avengers, it's hard not to discuss the show we already have since everyone just considers it a kid's show. At least where I live, everyone knows about Batman and looks forward to seeing Logan in theaters... but nobody watches TMNT. Their kids do. So now a show that will be even lighter and even more kid-friendly? Here's my stop. This is where I get off folks.

I just hope the IDW series completely ignores this and continues, providing they have enough stories to go beyond 2018.

Vegita-San
03-03-2017, 07:53 PM
Oh, right, because rebooting it with another show the year the other show ends won't saturate sh*t. :roll:

bingo.

it's like someone said 'this new show isn't making as big an impact that we where hoping.. what can we do?'

'lets cancel it, and give them something light hearted this time. that's bound to win them over!'

i don't mind the idea behind teen titans go. it can work. but something like that isn't what i'd want for a regular tmnt property.

i need something with a little more thought and or fun put into it.

Vegita-San
03-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Finally a TMNT that's not for me! I'm already going to be past 40 by the time this comes out, and unlike Batman and The Avengers, it's hard not to discuss the show we already have since everyone just considers it a kid's show. At least where I live, everyone knows about Batman and looks forward to seeing Logan in theaters... but nobody watches TMNT. Their kids do. So now a show that will be even lighter and even more kid-friendly? Here's my stop. This is where I get off folks.

I just hope the IDW series completely ignores this and continues, providing they have enough stories to go beyond 2018.

i think i finally got off the stop with this show. to me, it just shows nick doesn't know what it wants. and the movies proved it didn't know what the hell to do with the property or what it's fans wanted from it. or even bothered to try and find a right mixture of what the majority of fans wanted.

with this one, they just through a bunch of darts at the board and hope one stuck, and imho none really did. or they didn't stay with it long enough to make it work.

launching a new series so soon just kind of seems like they don't know what to do with tmnt to begin with.

TigerClaw
03-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Maybe the Nick execs were concerned that the series was attracting older viewers instead of the Kids, So in order to fix that, they make a show that caters more to kids then adults.

Vegita-San
03-03-2017, 08:10 PM
i can buy that.

about as bad as cartoon network cancelling young justice cause it drew in too many women viewers.

miru
03-03-2017, 08:41 PM
i can buy that.

about as bad as cartoon network cancelling young justice cause it drew in too many women viewers.

I already thought the execs didn't want too much animation in general, but this?

TigerClaw
03-03-2017, 08:58 PM
i can buy that.

I already thought the execs didn't want too much animation in general, but this?
It's true, Paul Dini talked about this on a Kevin Smith podcast years ago.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

This conversation starts at the 40:12 mark.

z6caz7ypC1g

I can totally see Nickelodeon trying to change the demographic by creating a show for younger viewers.

sdp
03-03-2017, 09:21 PM
It's not as simple as "OMG CARTOON NETWORK HATES WOMEN", it's just marketing, if a show gets a lot of viewers but the channel can't sell advertisement to that demographic and the licensed products are not selling then there is no money to be made on the show so it's cancelled, that's what happened to Young Justice. No money, no show. That simple.

The Nick show had falling ratings and lower toy sales so this decision was made. We've seen absolutely nothing and likely won't until SDCC at the earliest and likely only a poster at best. Until then we have no idea what this show is about since the info released is full of PR buzzwords that don't necessarily reflect the final product. Remember how the Nick show kept getting promoted as "Mirage inspired" in early descriptions and interviews?

2018 will have a new TMNT show and a new Jurassic Park movie, so I'm pretty excited for next year already.

TigerClaw
03-03-2017, 09:26 PM
It's not as simple as "OMG CARTOON NETWORK HATES WOMEN", it's just marketing, if a show gets a lot of viewers but the channel can't sell advertisement to that demographic and the licensed products are not selling then there is no money to be made on the show so it's cancelled, that's what happened to Young Justice. No money, no show. That simple.

The Nick show had falling ratings and lower toy sales so this decision was made. We've seen absolutely nothing and likely won't until SDCC at the earliest and likely only a poster at best. Until then we have no idea what this show is about since the info released is full of PR buzzwords that don't necessarily reflect the final product. Remember how the Nick show kept getting promoted as "Mirage inspired" in early descriptions and interviews?

2018 will have a new TMNT show and a new Jurassic Park movie, so I'm pretty excited for next year already.
And the show being Mirage inspired wasn't working out for them, so what they do? Is make a show that's probably gonna be Fred Wolf inspired, But even that show wasn't catering to younger viewers since it was all ages.

when the Nick show first started, it initially didn't have any Fred Wolf characters, until they added Bebop and Rocksteady, After that they started adding more Fred Wolf characters.

So whatever this new show is gonna be, its gonna be lighter in tone and missing all the drama from the 2012 series, Its all just gonna be fun and games, It's probably gonna be something like Super Hero Squad, Teen Titans Go, and Half Shell Heroes.

turtlefanforever
03-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Go away, troll.

I refuse to engage in conversation with someone who takes their life advice from a magic 8 ball with a picture of melissa benoist taped to it. You were a fun gimmick for a while but then you started to take yourself seriously and now you're just annoying.

Autbot_Benz
03-03-2017, 10:24 PM
I refuse to engage in conversation with someone who takes their life advice from a magic 8 ball with a picture of melissa benoist taped to it. You were a fun gimmick for a while but then you started to take yourself seriously and now you're just annoying.

http://i.imgur.com/HI8ITM8.jpg

Ninjinister
03-03-2017, 10:31 PM
when the Nick show first started, it initially didn't have any Fred Wolf characters, until they added Bebop and Rocksteady, After that they started adding more Fred Wolf characters.

There were many characters from the 87 series before Bebop and Rocksteady. Metalhead, Punk Frogs, Traag and Granitor, Slash, Pete (kinda), Chrome Dome, Mutagen Man, "Irma"... these are just a few from the top of my head.

plastroncafe
03-03-2017, 10:37 PM

You're not wrong, there is more to it than just misogyny.
It's a perfect storm of both misogyny and a whole bunch of people being crap at their jobs.

Marketers that can't sell dolls to little girls, are crap marketers.
Marketers that don't take advantage of a surprise audience by making superhero clothing in their sizes, are crap marketers.

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 10:43 PM
I'm already going to be past 40 by the time this comes out,.

You're going to be over 40 by 2018...next year? Man, you're a lot older than I thought you were.

TigerClaw
03-03-2017, 10:53 PM
I'm 44 years old and still like TMNT.

Kendamu
03-03-2017, 11:07 PM
I think that people thinking this new thing will be like TTG are on the right track.

Prepare for comedy.

DestronMirage22
03-03-2017, 11:34 PM
And the show being Mirage inspired wasn't working out for them, so what they do? Is make a show that's probably gonna be Fred Wolf inspired

LOL, what? Mirage inspired? Since when?
Also, the current show just screams FW as it is, we definitely don't need more of the same.

CyberCubed
03-03-2017, 11:42 PM
The show has never been either Mirage or Fred Wolf inspired, its been its own thing from the start just with a helping of everything else sprinkled in like one big ice cream sundae.

DestronMirage22
03-03-2017, 11:54 PM
The show has never been either Mirage or Fred Wolf inspired, its been its own thing from the start just with a helping of everything else sprinkled in like one big ice cream sundae.

Nice analogy, but not 100% true. It's true that at the beginning the show tried it's own thing, but that was just during its early stages, mainly just the 1st season, when it didn't know what it wanted to be. After that, right around the 2nd season, it really started to reintroduce characters from FW, and borrowed heavily from it, in tone and such. Over time it's just been going more and more.

ssjup81
03-04-2017, 03:57 AM
Nice analogy, but not 100% true. It's true that at the beginning the show tried it's own thing, but that was just during its early stages, mainly just the 1st season, when it didn't know what it wanted to be. After that, right around the 2nd season, it really started to reintroduce characters from FW, and borrowed heavily from it, in tone and such. Over time it's just been going more and more.But this show references things from stuff outside of the OT, which included other Turtle iterations. To me, it screamed "retro". That's one of the things I liked about this show.

LeotheLateBloomer
03-04-2017, 07:26 AM
I don't think "lighter" and "younger" necessarily means that this show is going to be anything similar to TTG or FW. While those two words don't sit right with me in the context of what I prefer for TMNT, it's not a good idea to pass judgement on something without seeing what it's about. I'll wait til I see the character designs and a trailer before automatically assuming the worst.

TigerClaw
03-04-2017, 07:29 AM
I don't think "lighter" and "younger" necessarily means that this show is going to be anything similar to TTG or FW. While those two words don't sit right with me in the context of what I prefer for TMNT, it's not a good idea to pass judgement on something without seeing what it's about. I'll wait til I see the character designs and a trailer before automatically assuming the worst.
I bet we won't see anything about the new series until SDCC, Surely Nick will have a TMNT panel where they will talk about Season 5, and the future of the franchise.

NinjaPug
03-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Doubt we see anything from the new series at SDCC this year. Too early for that. Depending on how they schedule the rest of Season 5 there might not even be a panel for the 2012 series. No reason for Nick to pay for a panel to promote a show that is almost over.

It would also be really weird to have a panel for Ciro's show only to have them talk about the next show replacing his that he isn't even working on.

biganimefan
03-04-2017, 08:03 AM
I just had a nightmare-ish thought. What if TTG isn't the "worst" the upcoming series could be, but maybe something more along the lines of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, or Muppet Babies?