PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the TMNT toy speculation/discussion/announcement thread

Ninjinister
03-03-2017, 12:57 AM
Well, probably the biggest news in a while was dropped today; 2018 brings a new 2D animated TMNT series, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

There's very little information on the content (which if you haven't seen yet, and want to read up, there's a topic in the Nicktoon subforum), and literally ZERO toy announcements, but I was thinking about how the toys will go. You know they're obviously going to have toys.

It's a pretty safe bet that Playmates will still have their tentacles on this. And par for the course, the first wave or two will probably start out pretty cool and then quickly diminish into 5 or less PoA underpainted lumps of plastic. I'd love to be wrong though on the latter! I don't want terrible figures!

Megabloks, if they're still under contract, will probably have Rise toys. That'd be neat. Minimates, too, if that still is a thing they'll be doing by then.

My hopes are that all non-Nick lines like stuff based on the '87 series and movies will continue as-is. Especially with Playmates' stuff... I don't want to see them re-re-re-re-re-release the bloody 88 figures AGAIN. Gotta wonder if they'll do more of them there wrestlin' Turtles but with the new Rise designs.

Ooh! I'd also hope to see the Rise characters mix into Heroclix!

Wildcat
03-03-2017, 01:40 AM
It's all about paint jobs/show accuracy for me. I don't really care about scale or or articulation (unless it's some collector type figure)

Having nothing to base the designs on who knows. Judging by the current Nick stuff I'm not very optimistic about them.

Raptor86
03-03-2017, 01:55 AM
I guess all the effort will be on the first wave, than 5 POA crap

Candy Kappa
03-03-2017, 02:31 AM
It'll be business as usual

Huzzah
03-03-2017, 06:43 AM
The first wave will be good probably, gotta have a decent base for the eventual never ending Turtles Variants.

EddieNES
03-03-2017, 09:19 AM
I just hope Donatellos tooth gap and booyakasha get left behind.

Not feeling the mystic city part, but excited to see the art and toys. Probably just going to get what I like this time around.

RaphaelinSTL
03-03-2017, 10:36 AM
I just hope Donatellos tooth gap and booyakasha get left behind.

Not feeling the mystic city part, but excited to see the art and toys. Probably just going to get what I like this time around.

Yeah, I hope it's little more streamlined design wise...and while I never really hated the 2012 look aside from the goofy gap...I know that cartoon designs these days aren't well...subtle at all.

I think how they would've looked in that dropped 2001 series would do just fine...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3481/4090237024_198c1e30f2_z.jpg

...but sadly, I know the press release said they're going for a "younger" vibe.

Andrew NDB
03-03-2017, 11:38 AM
I speculate there will be a lot, and a lot of 4 year-olds will be happy and a lot of cranky 30, 40 year-old collectors will be cranky, as always.

Ninjinister
03-03-2017, 11:54 AM
I speculate there will be a lot, and a lot of 4 year-olds will be happy and a lot of cranky 30, 40 year-old collectors will be cranky, as always.

I dunno... my cousins and friends' kids are in the 3-7 range and they're bothered more by lack of articulation than most adults. If their elbows and knees don't move, they think it's "dumb". Granted, that's a small sample size... but it's the only one I've got so I've got to run with this data.

I did feel the same way as a lad, though. The characters in perma-crouch like Shredder and Foot Soldier were tough to get to stand or pose... all of the lack of knee joints made it tough to get do fights the way we all wanted, and the fact that characters like Traag and Muckman had unpainted deets made me a tiny bit sad. That's not to say I didn't love the f**k out of the back then... I just had tiny complaints.

Huzzah
03-03-2017, 05:16 PM

What? Never, middle aged collectors are so easy to please...

That said, I really enjoyed the line early on, paint details lacking never really bothered me since I repaint most everything. I didn't become disgruntled until they quit releasing new characters, depending on Turtle Variants...though scale issues did kind of bug me.

snake
03-03-2017, 06:59 PM
I'm thinking a more kiddy line between what we have now and HSH, just going off my mental picture of the designs.

DestronMirage22
03-03-2017, 07:41 PM
What's there to be expected? We know Playmates' track record. They'll just keep on producing the same level of trash as they always have.

Freeman
03-03-2017, 07:56 PM
I'll be most certainly getting the first wave of whatever it comes unless they are too childish of unbareablely ugly.
We could also wish for Paymates loosing this IP...

Ninjinister
03-03-2017, 10:03 PM
What does everyone think about the other companies' potential Rise offerings? Revoltech maybe? Ooh I'd love for Bandai to do Sprukits. Even though they're models and as sparsely painted as Playmates' stuff I love finally having Turtles in 3.75" scale.

I mean we have no info right now so let's go wild with speculation 'til we do! We already have enough "Playmates sucks" topics as is :lol:

Candy Kappa
03-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Imports like Kaiyodo, Good Smile and Bandai is a tough call to speculate on. Depends on how the show is doing and the designs.

I doubt we'll see more new Revoltech figure, though. The re-release was just sheer luck since they where voted by the fans to be a part of a roster of 10 figures that would get the 10th Anniversary re-release.

TurtleWA
02-01-2018, 10:01 AM
I am interested in seeing how the new toys will stand. The 2012 Turtles easily stood with their big feet. But these new designs already have me thinking about the trouble of standing up vintage figures. In the new design April looks to be falling backwards.

TurtleWA
02-01-2018, 11:34 AM
I think I just heard them say during the live reveal that Donnie will have interchangeably battle shells that he created bc heís a soft shell. One shell will have a personality. Sounds like a lot of toy potential to me.

useasneeded4pain
02-01-2018, 11:41 AM
I watched maybe 10 minutes of the Facebook reveal, it was all I could take. The female "expert" playing trivia with Andre was horrible, and didn't know things such as Baxter Stockman or the Technodrome.

Raph looks a lot like an animated version of the 2014 movie.

DonnieLaForge
02-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Knowing how Playmates had a few fumbles last time with matching up the toys to the art, and now amplifying that because of how weird the proportions seem to be on these designs (not to mention the blockiness) I'm skeptical the figures will be a very good match...

EddieNES
02-01-2018, 12:08 PM
I think I just heard them say during the live reveal that Donnie will have interchangeably battle shells that he created bc heís a soft shell. One shell will have a personality. Sounds like a lot of toy potential to me.

That sounds terrible to me lol

TurtleWA
02-01-2018, 12:15 PM
That sounds terrible to me lol

I just imagining separate packs of just shells that are for sale. And they all fit on Donnie.

EddieNES
02-01-2018, 12:18 PM
I just imagining separate packs of just shells that are for sale. And they all fit on Donnie.

Just to make it clear, your idea for toy ideas wasnít terrible. I just donít like the swap smart shell thing.

Iíll take any toy though. Especially Don.

TurtleWA
02-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Just to make it clear, your idea for toy ideas wasnít terrible. I just donít like the swap smart shell thing.

Iíll take any toy though. Especially Don.

Yeah I like Don too. Iím excited to see what will happen with the toys.

Candy Kappa
02-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Hmm, maybe those removable shell figures was a foreshadowing of future Donnie toy gimmicks? :lol:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1b/ae/0e/1bae0e8a7f8e55616369d06adf7dbc58.jpg

wpugh2424
02-01-2018, 02:00 PM
During the live stream did they happen to give estimates on toy release ?

TurtleWA
02-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Hmm, maybe those removable shell figures was a foreshadowing of future Donnie toy gimmicks? :lol:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1b/ae/0e/1bae0e8a7f8e55616369d06adf7dbc58.jpg
Good catch. :tsmile:

During the live stream did they happen to give estimates on toy release ?

Nothing that I picked up on.

inaheap
02-01-2018, 02:36 PM
Knowing how Playmates had a few fumbles last time with matching up the toys to the art, and now amplifying that because of how weird the proportions seem to be on these designs (not to mention the blockiness) I'm skeptical the figures will be a very good match...

I kinda hope your right. I'm not sure I want figures that look exactly like the art work revealed. Plus some of my favorite figures are the original basic release from the nick line.

Reputator
02-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Given the new designs, I don't think I'll worry about collecting any toys based on the new show.

DonnieLaForge
02-01-2018, 08:23 PM
I'm 100% in for the four turtles no matter what. Gotta keep the lineage complete... Probably all of wave 1 so long as it sticks to the mainstays.

People, heed my warning, it's the first-wave turtles from the failed shows that end up raking in the $$$ cuz everyone poo-poos them and leaves them at the store to be hauled to the dump and before we know it we all want them for completion but it's too late! eBay got yer number then!

TurtleWA
02-01-2018, 08:50 PM
I'm 100% in for the four turtles no matter what. Gotta keep the lineage complete... Probably all of wave 1 so long as it sticks to the mainstays.

People, heed my warning, it's the first-wave turtles from the failed shows that end up raking in the $$$ cuz everyone poo-poos them and leaves them at the store to be hauled to the dump and before we know it we all want them for completion but it's too late! eBay got yer number then!

Iím thinking about this time around only collecting the non-turtle figures. Like April, Splinter and so forth. I donít need 100 turtle variants. Iíll stick to the 20 non-turtles that get produced. Or at least being very selective with the actual turtle figs I pick up. But canít know for sure until I see the show and see the toys. Iíll pick me up an Iron-Man Donnie though. :lol:

Jester
02-01-2018, 08:53 PM
I went to Playmatestoys.com to see if they updated their site after the design reveal....and then I noticed this:
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27459606_586465202782_3783514561910916247_n.jpg?oh =86cf7358c199e5837eeef374d280210c&oe=5AE2993B

Autbot_Benz
02-01-2018, 11:34 PM
I went to Playmatestoys.com to see if they updated their site after the design reveal....and then I noticed this:
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27459606_586465202782_3783514561910916247_n.jpg?oh =86cf7358c199e5837eeef374d280210c&oe=5AE2993B

Don't worry Pixel Dan did say Playmates are showing the Rise figures at Toy Fair this month

SS Kakarot
02-02-2018, 04:01 AM
Someone on Twitter mentioned that they toys were shown at Toy Fair in London last week, but it was not allowed to take pictures.

I'm sure Playmates will have the Rise toys during Toy Fair in New York.

Powder
02-02-2018, 04:15 AM
Huh! Surprised there wasn't a leak, if so. Looking forward to these, if only for the 4 turtles. I hope the style comes across.

Jester
02-02-2018, 04:52 AM
Yeah, wishful thinking on my part to think they'd have any news...or that they weren't making the toys anymore.

DonnieLaForge
02-02-2018, 08:47 AM
I’m thinking about this time around only collecting the non-turtle figures. Like April, Splinter and so forth. I don’t need 100 turtle variants. I’ll stick to the 20 non-turtles that get produced. Or at least being very selective with the actual turtle figs I pick up. But can’t know for sure until I see the show and see the toys. I’ll pick me up an Iron-Man Donnie though. :lol:

I only meant I was 100% in for the initial release of the turtles.

That's actually how I started out with 2012 ... resolved to buy first 4 turtles, all the non-turtles, and no variants (well, only Donnie variants). But I caved on the variants after I let the series draw me in and realized it was pretty good.

Antnee13420
02-02-2018, 10:51 AM
http://www.comicsbeat.com/rise-of-the-tmnt-character-designs-unveiled/

Found this. Personally I hate the new design. I really hope this is not accurate info.

Candy Kappa
02-02-2018, 10:55 AM
http://www.comicsbeat.com/rise-of-the-tmnt-character-designs-unveiled/

Found this. Personally I hate the new design. I really hope this is not accurate info.

You're late to the party, it's real, it's official and it's been discussed in several threads

The Purple Dragon
02-02-2018, 01:38 PM
Knowing playmate I coued see they did a repaint of the bay turtles with some small changes:twink:

Andrew NDB
02-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Still, weird that they would remove TMNT from "Our brands." I mean, what, are they not even selling 2012 TMNT toys anymore?

CyberCubed
02-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Would be interesting if Nick decided to cut ties with Playmates, and it would make sense at a time where they're about to relaunch a new TMNT series. I don't think they will, but if now was the time, it's as good as any.

Andrew NDB
02-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Would be interesting if Nick decided to cut ties with Playmates, and it would make sense at a time where they're about to relaunch a new TMNT series. I don't think they will, but if now was the time, it's as good as any.

There is probably some mutual finger-pointing at each other between Nickelodeon and Playmates. From Playmates to Nick that the quality of their show led to toy sales decline, from Nick to Playmates that their toys were sucky and costing them viewers. The last two seasons or so of TMNT 2012 took a pretty enormous hit in the ratings... I can only imagine what the toy numbers were.

lilmotto
02-02-2018, 03:03 PM
This is going to be one of the worst TMNT series to date. Ugly Splinter. Odd character design and weird voice cast.

TurtleWA
02-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Yeah with the new show not resembling the Ď87 show as much as 2012 did Iím not sure Playmates can count on a lot of nostalgic toy purchases either. And a lot of people might have gotten that out of their system in the last five years and are now fine walking past the toy aisle. Only time will tell.

mikeyatemypizza
02-02-2018, 04:33 PM
So easy to walk past toy isles nowadays, since all the good characters are swooped up by staff scalpers. Make more money selling short packs than they get Stocking shelves.

leolao
02-02-2018, 05:02 PM

I contacted Playmates and they said that they are still making TMNT toys only for the Nick Reboot, No plans for Classics, old movies or Fred Wolf show so for the old fans we have NECA and hopefully BANDAI.

IndigoErth
02-02-2018, 05:32 PM
Oh yeah... That Splinter figure would be interesting to see. :teek: Didn't think much could make the unappealing PD version look almost okay, but geezus.

He's like some ancient mole rat that's just come out of a 20 year hibernation. But gorged on junk food during semi-lucid moments.

If there is one cute enough, I imagine I might at least own one figure of my fave for posterity, unless these figures are horrible and/or I'm too resentful at what 'Rise' does with him.

DonnieLaForge
02-02-2018, 06:50 PM
Splinter's look tells me he's probably going to be a bit of a jokester, amd feisty, which will be humorous because of his stature...kind of like when Yoda kicks it into high gear, but then later on in life acts intentionally like he has gone batty...but both at the same time.

Candy Kappa
02-03-2018, 06:15 AM
I'm interested in seeing how they do gimmick figures, like Mikey can tuck completely inside his shell, Donnie's shell armor, Raph being huge... maybe a power punch feature like vintage He-Man and Leo... I donno, cutting action feature?

I Crave Pizza No More
02-03-2018, 06:26 AM
Zero interest in the toys for me. That's in part because of where I am at this stage of my life, but mostly because I find the designs to be horrendous. Pretty much as offensive as the Bay designs, frankly.

Plasticplayhouse
02-03-2018, 07:57 AM
the animation style reminds me of Andy Kuhn tmnt, but not as good. I agree, splinter is hideous.

ProactiveMan
02-09-2018, 08:24 AM
I'm interested to see the first wave because if history is any indicator, the figures may not resemble the final character designs.

dragonside
02-09-2018, 10:18 AM
if this is anything like teen titans go, they have some decent funko pops.

now would Playmates make some decent figures with these designs.

EHHH in terms of little details - there's a lot. Playmates is good with very streamlined simple designs, like the TMNT 2012. If you guys remember their version of the 2014 movie - while not that bad, it was lacking of a lot of the really nice details.

Playmates also does not care about scale, so having four completely different designs. This series has to make a lot of money in order for them to even attempt.

I'd prefer to see a different toy maker tackle this new series.

TurtleWA
02-09-2018, 12:14 PM

now would Playmates make some decent figures with these designs.

EHHH in terms of little details - there's a lot. Playmates is good with very streamlined simple designs, like the TMNT 2012. If you guys remember their version of the 2014 movie - while not that bad, it was lacking of a lot of the really nice details.

Playmates also does not care about scale, so having four completely different designs. This series has to make a lot of money in order for them to even attempt.

I'd prefer to see a different toy maker tackle this new series.

Yes I think Playmates has a challenge ahead of them. Playmates is known for not releasing all four turtles as well. Such as disguise turtles for the movie had no Don. And the tv series had giant turtle mutations but only Raph and Leo got released.

So I could see a lot of series releases not having all four turtles. For example, If they do Head droppiní turtles maybe no Don. If they do Storage/battle shell turtles perhaps no Raph. And maybe only Mikey and Leo for mutating pet-ninja turtle.

Ninjinister
02-09-2018, 12:26 PM

We only ever got 87 series Pops though. No Mirage, no movies, no 2012... Just 87 and "pixelated" 87 to rep the games I guess?

TurtleWA
02-11-2018, 01:12 AM
https://s9.postimg.org/lsm7l1z73/2_D2_C7_DD9-_D295-4259-9084-8_FA0_AA93_E8_B1.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/5hm3oqmp7/)

https://playmatestoys.com

***First of Two Latin Kings***
02-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Yes I think Playmates has a challenge ahead of them. Playmates is known for not releasing all four turtles as well. Such as disguise turtles for the movie had no Don. And the tv series had giant turtle mutations but only Raph and Leo got released.

So I could see a lot of series releases not having all four turtles. For example, If they do Head droppiní turtles maybe no Don. If they do Storage/battle shell turtles perhaps no Raph. And maybe only Mikey and Leo for mutating pet-ninja turtle.

It is likely that Leo and Raph will remain tied for most popular turtle with the kids, with Mikey coming in close and Don't remaining least popular.

zaktheneutrino
02-11-2018, 08:26 AM
Iím in the minority as I think these designs could make for some cool looking figures! Iím not wild about Splinter, hate the April design, but I think the turtles look pretty neat.

Time will tell but if the writers go an Ultimate Spider-Man direction where thereís a lot of humor yet serious villains and some fun action, this could be good. A Spider Verse like arc would be interesting too where we see not just a crossover but the other turtle universes.

dragonside
02-11-2018, 09:22 AM
https://s9.postimg.org/lsm7l1z73/2_D2_C7_DD9-_D295-4259-9084-8_FA0_AA93_E8_B1.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/5hm3oqmp7/)

https://playmatestoys.com

there it is. okay Playmates. Hope they put in a good effort on the quality.

tipet
02-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Iím in the minority as I think these designs could make for some cool looking figures! Iím not wild about Splinter, hate the April design, but I think the turtles look pretty neat.

Time will tell but if the writers go an Ultimate Spider-Man direction where thereís a lot of humor yet serious villains and some fun action, this could be good. A Spider Verse like arc would be interesting too where we see not just a crossover but the other turtle universes.

Yes, the figures will be cool think. I've seen the new Ben 10 figures and they are great. I hope Playmates goes in the same direction.

Spidergreg
02-13-2018, 01:17 AM
The first TMNT license came in the form of a role-playing game by Palladium, followed by miniatures from Dark Horse. Within a year, First Comics began to reprint the early issues in color volumes; four were produced, stopping at issue 11. These sold well, and Eastman and Laird were soon contacted by Mark Freedman, a licensing agent who believed he could make something of the Turtles. Freedman took the idea to a variety of toy companies, only to be turned down by those who felt the concept was not popular enough to support a toy line. Only one company expressed interest, a little-known California company by the name of Playmates.

History (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_action_figures)

All you guys sheeting on playmates should feel sorry for yourselves 'cos only playmates gave TMNT a chance at the time.
Basically, playmates created the nostalgia feeling of TMNT toys.....
for me at least.

Powder
02-13-2018, 01:38 AM
Yeah, & Charles Manson wrote nice songs before he formed a psychedelic death cult. Things change. :tlol:

Ninjinister
02-13-2018, 02:24 AM
should feel sorry for yourselves

How about no?

TurtleWA
04-18-2018, 05:29 PM
Will Playmates produce the same amount and expect Amazon, Walmart, Target and others to pick up the slack?

Will Rise have the lowest first wave sales of any TMNT show ever?

Will prices go up to compensate the loss of TRU sales?

Will Playmates have to cut back employment?

EddieNES
04-18-2018, 09:17 PM
Will Playmates produce the same amount and expect Amazon, Walmart, Target and others to pick up the slack?

Find out next time, on Dragon Ball Z!

Autbot_Benz
04-18-2018, 09:43 PM
All you guys sheeting on playmates should feel sorry for yourselves 'cos only playmates gave TMNT a chance at the time.
Basically, playmates created the nostalgia feeling of TMNT toys.....
for me at least.

https://i.imgur.com/6JDIUnD.gif

Playmates toys is the LAZIEST toy company ever. They don't care about adult collectors they keep NECA on a tight leash on what they can and can't do with TMNT. Also they create happy meal toys and try and pass them off as quaility action figures.

tmntman
04-18-2018, 10:36 PM

My guesses:

Overall production numbers will likely be lower. Other stores will likely increase orders slightly. But without a track record to know how much of Toys R Us' market share they are going to pick up, I would expect store buyers to be cautious. I'm guessing that stores may also be less enthusiastic about this reboot than the last one since there hasn't been that long of a fallow period and the initial buzz isn't terrific.

Where I suspect Toys R Us' absence will really be felt is in the variety of products that will be produced. Toys R Us has been a very strong supporter of the TMNT lines. They even continued to support the line after every other store dropped it following the 2007 movie and they were first in line to pick up exclusives for the line in 2012 even before the line hit stores. With them out of the picture, larger items like the play sets that were shown off at Toy Fair this spring may not receive enough retailer support for Playmates to actually produce them. Without Toys R Us, Rise of the TMNT could be restricted much more to just the figures with a minimal amount of vehicles and play sets, especially larger play sets and vehicles.

Playmates toys is the LAZIEST toy company ever. They don't care about adult collectors they keep NECA on a tight leash on what they can and can't do with TMNT. Also they create happy meal toys and try and pass them off as quaility action figures.

I'll agree with you about Playmates not caring about adult collectors. But they are a toy company. And adult collectors are an extremely niche market compared to the millions of kids running around that LOVE the Turtles once again thanks in part to Playmates' toys. But the good news is that since Viacom bought the property, we get to have it both ways. Playmates can continue to put out toys for kids. And adults can still support NECA, SH Figurarts, Revoltech and any of the other companies that have taken a shot at the line in the last few years. And if Playmates' products don't appeal to you, that's fine as well. Because they aren't made for you.

TurtleWA
04-19-2018, 12:10 AM
Find out next time, on Dragon Ball Z!
Classic! :lol:

My guesses:

Overall production numbers will likely be lower. Other stores will likely increase orders slightly. But without a track record to know how much of Toys R Us' market share they are going to pick up, I would expect store buyers to be cautious. I'm guessing that stores may also be less enthusiastic about this reboot than the last one since there hasn't been that long of a fallow period and the initial buzz isn't terrific.

Where I suspect Toys R Us' absence will really be felt is in the variety of products that will be produced. Toys R Us has been a very strong supporter of the TMNT lines. They even continued to support the line after every other store dropped it following the 2007 movie and they were first in line to pick up exclusives for the line in 2012 even before the line hit stores. With them out of the picture, larger items like the play sets that were shown off at Toy Fair this spring may not receive enough retailer support for Playmates to actually produce them. Without Toys R Us, Rise of the TMNT could be restricted much more to just the figures with a minimal amount of vehicles and play sets, especially larger play sets and vehicles.
Hopefully Playmates can make lemonade from the lemons. Maybe offer some Amazon exclusives for play-sets or larger vehicles. I wonder if Playmates would ever offer exclusives directly from their website? Probably not because of the shipping and stuff. :tconfuse:

tmntman
04-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Hopefully Playmates can make lemonade from the lemons. Maybe offer some Amazon exclusives for play-sets or larger vehicles. I wonder if Playmates would ever offer exclusives directly from their website? Probably not because of the shipping and stuff. :tconfuse:

I'm sure Playmates will be willing to offer the play sets and larger vehicles to any of the remaining large toy sellers as exclusives. The problem is finding a retailer that is willing to buy them is large enough numbers to make their production financially viable.

inaheap
04-19-2018, 12:18 PM
I look at it this way. I will probably get sets like the lair if they make them. If they don't, I won't have to find a place for another giant set in my display. That is no small task. Stores like Target and Walmart carried the Sewer lairs, so I would think they will these too.

Candy Kappa
04-26-2018, 04:39 PM
I really hope we'll get some Import figures of the Rise Turtles, the sharp designs and action paced animation nearly demands to get a set of Revoltech figures, in the Amazing Yamaguchi line to be exact. So far that line has been mainly Marvel Comics figures, but Kaiyodo have shown off their coming Amazing Yamaguchi Batman, so it's not unfeasibke the line will broaden beyond Marvel/DC.

I can totally see Leo and Mikey in similar poses like Revo Deadpool and Spider-Man, or Raph in poses like Wolverine and Venom.

Ninjinister
04-26-2018, 06:09 PM
I'll agree with you about Playmates not caring about adult collectors. But they are a toy company. And adult collectors are an extremely niche market compared to the millions of kids running around that LOVE the Turtles once again thanks in part to Playmates' toys. But the good news is that since Viacom bought the property, we get to have it both ways. Playmates can continue to put out toys for kids. And adults can still support NECA, SH Figurarts, Revoltech and any of the other companies that have taken a shot at the line in the last few years. And if Playmates' products don't appeal to you, that's fine as well. Because they aren't made for you.

The problem with this, is most of this stuff appeals to me less on different levels. No matter how phenomenal it may look, I don't want to spend $100+ on a 12" figure that's just gonna sit in one spot and take up space. That's just not my thing. Even a 6" at $60 is too much for me. And these companies do even less than Playmates does. OH LOOK IT'S ALL FOUR TURTLES AGAIN and maybe a Shredder that'll get canceled or delayed 100 times.

I'd gladly pay $15ish for something at Playmates figure scale but is better sculpted and articulated even if just a little, no matter who makes it. Or hell, I want some 3.75" scale figures to match the rest of my collection. It sucks that collectors of that scale literally just have four model kits for this series.

It shouldn't be this hard to make a product that appeals to more than one demographic.

BartAllen
05-06-2018, 05:34 AM

I doubt this is going to hurt them that much. Personally, I bought the majority of my TMNT figures from Target. Outside of an exclusive, I barely bought toys at TRU as they were too expensive in comparison.

Can we go back to the days of a slightly smaller lair? That GIANT one from 2012 took up way too much space.

newfan
05-06-2018, 06:07 AM
I don't know what your alternatives are in the US, I have a ton of toys in my home and they all came from other places, another toy store close by where I live or other stores which sell toys among other things.

tmntman
05-06-2018, 07:50 AM
I don't know what your alternatives are in the US, I have a ton of toys in my home and they all came from other places, another toy store close by where I live or other stores which sell toys among other things.

Sadly in the US, the stand alone toy store is all but gone. At least on a national level, most of them had merged until there were only two left, KB Toys (which operated mostly out of malls) and Toys R Us. And now both of them are going to be gone. There are some small and independent toy stores. But they are rare. Even in the city where I live which covers a population of close to half a million people, there is only one independent toy store that I know of. And most of them that I have seen avoid mass market lines because they can't compete with Walmart on price. So collectors such as ourselves who are interested in mainstream licenses such as TMNT, Star Wars, Marvel, WWE, Transformers and the likes are left with Walmart, Target and similar retailers.

wpugh2424
05-06-2018, 10:30 AM
I thought kb toys was making a come back to the states this year towards Christmas ?

tmntman
05-06-2018, 11:35 AM
I thought kb toys was making a come back to the states this year towards Christmas ?

It might be. Though in what capacity is yet to be seen.

ZacksSoUgly
05-31-2018, 02:50 PM
As someone said above, I wasn't buying many Turtles from TRU anyways. Target and Wal Mart beat the pricing and I'm not into the playsets or vehicles. I'm bummed TRU is going away 'cos they were a solid third option, but as long as Target and Wal Mart do their thing I'm good.

I can't really remember what the buzz or hype for the 2012 Turtles felt like, but I think the lack of time between series may end up killing some of the energy for this run. We'll see, though. We're talking TMNT and they have been around for almost 40yrs. I'm definitely grabbing the four Turtles.

IndigoErth
05-31-2018, 03:02 PM
Last I read recently it sounds like they are supposedly planning to do a bunch of pop up stores for the holidays, and then based on how well those locations do will decide from there where to open real stores.

(Supposedly they'll also have a party room for kids, have an appointed "toy nerd" in stores to assist collectors, etc.)

DVD
06-01-2018, 06:33 AM
And it begins.
The vehicles, well the two bikes and the totally awesome turtle tank have arrived on the scene. Figures look pretty cool.
9 new figures arriving next week.
I really was going to try and not buy these as I have way too many turtles.... but.... who was I kidding.
Got to create a new space for this lot.

SS Kakarot
06-01-2018, 12:11 PM
And it begins.
The vehicles, well the two bikes and the totally awesome turtle tank have arrived on the scene. Figures look pretty cool.
9 new figures arriving next week.
I really was going to try and not buy these as I have way too many turtles.... but.... who was I kidding.
Got to create a new space for this lot.

Looking forward to some pictures DVD! :D

DVD
06-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Iíll bring them all home next week, but hereís a couple of teasers.
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/7E7A7E50-9B9B-4C29-83D8-4761C9CFFDE9.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/7E7A7E50-9B9B-4C29-83D8-4761C9CFFDE9.jpg.html)
Ok, a bit more than a teaser, but just a quick shot of the assembled hogs.
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/A2221376-2EFA-413C-921C-79EC04D5719C.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/A2221376-2EFA-413C-921C-79EC04D5719C.jpg.html)
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/035FD08A-DBE7-453E-BC86-8DE404D43743.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/035FD08A-DBE7-453E-BC86-8DE404D43743.jpg.html)
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/6C6A1028-FA9A-4D95-8264-9B7362DF8CEB.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/6C6A1028-FA9A-4D95-8264-9B7362DF8CEB.jpg.html)

SS Kakarot
06-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Iíll bring them all home next week, but hereís a couple of teasers.
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/7E7A7E50-9B9B-4C29-83D8-4761C9CFFDE9.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/7E7A7E50-9B9B-4C29-83D8-4761C9CFFDE9.jpg.html)
Ok, a bit more than a teaser, but just a quick shot of the assembled hogs.
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/A2221376-2EFA-413C-921C-79EC04D5719C.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/A2221376-2EFA-413C-921C-79EC04D5719C.jpg.html)
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/035FD08A-DBE7-453E-BC86-8DE404D43743.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/035FD08A-DBE7-453E-BC86-8DE404D43743.jpg.html)
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/6C6A1028-FA9A-4D95-8264-9B7362DF8CEB.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/6C6A1028-FA9A-4D95-8264-9B7362DF8CEB.jpg.html)

Thanks for sharing! :)

DVD
06-05-2018, 10:30 PM
Hereís a couple of shots of the figures, and how they relate to the 2012 range:

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/B5CA7604-058C-4CF6-8B42-A098B6A5CA0E.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/B5CA7604-058C-4CF6-8B42-A098B6A5CA0E.jpg.html)

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/BA926842-577C-4D6D-89D2-6EB2846BA966.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/BA926842-577C-4D6D-89D2-6EB2846BA966.jpg.html)

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/3F0F3BCF-FB36-4389-8864-08B16665010F.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/3F0F3BCF-FB36-4389-8864-08B16665010F.jpg.html)

Basically, they are built much like the movie figures.

The vehicles are very nice. Iíve been messing with them, and adding the last of the stickers.
Pics soon.

DVD
06-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Hereís the vehicles.
Everything is still in my office: Iíll get em home eventually.
I should have the first wave of 9 figures next week. And Iíll post pics then.

The bikes:
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/97B9B263-B3EA-4081-B0D7-8565BCA27F22.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/97B9B263-B3EA-4081-B0D7-8565BCA27F22.jpg.html)
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/E1FD4919-CD35-4B2F-A2DE-009186CF780A.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/E1FD4919-CD35-4B2F-A2DE-009186CF780A.jpg.html)

And,,the Tank
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/5A4620A2-4068-4BF7-ABAF-1EBE526905AC.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/5A4620A2-4068-4BF7-ABAF-1EBE526905AC.jpg.html)
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/AC2FB1D6-8548-4277-BD85-F45147848250.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/AC2FB1D6-8548-4277-BD85-F45147848250.jpg.html)

The Tank is the best vehicle to come along in a long time .

Wretched Reptile
06-07-2018, 01:39 PM
I still dig what I'm seeing. I'm really excited to see these hit stores. It's depressing seeing the last of the 2012 stuff hanging on in certain places and looking so ragged, while all the major shopping places have zero TMNT toys now. It will be cool to see the franchise have a big "launch" toy aisle presence again. I love the bright garish colors of everything this time out. It's impossible to ignore, love it or hate it lol.

cloud
06-07-2018, 11:05 PM
I don't really have a lot of interest in the new Turtles line. Not that I hate the designs.
It just felt a bit too soon. I love TMNT when I was a kid and started collecting TMNT when they relaunch the brand with the 2003 series, then 2007 they released the 2007 movie toy line and it was technically 2012 when they franchise was under another relaunch.
I feel like the 2012 series just ended last year 2017 and now we are expecting a brand new line up of Turtles products.

Still, I might change my mind but currently I might just get the 4 Turtles, Splinter and April when they are out.
The Turtle lair playset does look impressive and may be best play set I have seen in years. The ability to combine with other play sets provides great potential.

Zulithe
06-12-2018, 07:44 AM
!!!Amazon pre-orders!!!

Basic Figures Assortment Wave 1
Splinter (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNNK2LX/)
Baron Draxum (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNWD9XN/)
Meat Sweats (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNXBYJX/)
Origami (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNX5XM9)
Raphael (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNPBS7X/)
Leonardo (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNNK3XY/)
April (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNWS1X1/)
Donatello (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNWQXV2/)
Michelangelo (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNS1TDG/)

Went ahead and placed an order for 1 of each. Ships in October. I have no idea how I will feel about the show... but I'll at least get some of the first wave figures while I feel things out.

Didn't see any vehicles, deluxe figures or playsets listed yet.

DonnieLaForge
06-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Good lookin' out...

$10.99 each, new price point or Amazon "tax"?

Zulithe
06-12-2018, 09:35 AM
It's always possible that they adjust the price down. Amazon pre-order prices guarantee works in your favor sometimes!

SilverNinja
06-12-2018, 11:35 AM
!!!Amazon pre-orders!!!

Went ahead and placed an order for 1 of each. Ships in October. I have no idea how I will feel about the show... but I'll at least get some of the first wave figures while I feel things out.

Awesome! Thank you for providing the links!

I might take this route if they are still around when I'm able to purchase. However there's something special about finding them in the store once they're released.

Zulithe
06-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Awesome! Thank you for providing the links!

I might take this route if they are still around when I'm able to purchase. However there's something special about finding them in the store once they're released.
I agree, however my time to hunt for toys is thin, lots of other stuff to do. if I have to pay $1 or $2 extra per figure so that I don't have to hunt and get frustrated when I don't find them all, etc.... it's worth it for me.

Anyway, it's possible other places like target.com could stock them too (at a cheaper price) -- then you can cancel the order and switch over to their store.

having an order locked-in is a good feeling :twink:

I'm particularly happy about having April locked-in since with the 2012 series her figure became rare at certain points, due to lack of repacking. I suspect that might happen to this line in the same way.

Leonarjoe
06-12-2018, 02:29 PM
!!!Amazon pre-orders!!!

Thank you so much for posting this! I preordered the turtles. I very much like the designs, so thanks again :tgrin:

BlueKatana
06-14-2018, 08:15 AM
I was hoping weíd see these earlier than expected like late summer, but oh well. Too much of a TMNT drought.

ZacksSoUgly
06-18-2018, 12:09 AM
Definitely going to grab the four Turtles and maybe April. I also like the design of the Foot dudes, but want to see them in person.