PDA

View Full Version : TMNTU #8 preview & discussion

bushido
03-04-2017, 07:42 AM
Preview here (http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-tmnt-universe-8/1100-156404/).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Mikey hasn't been in the right for a long time, has he? First killing Shredder and taking over the Foot, then the Mutanimals, and now Metal-Don.

Not a good judge of character, our Mikester.

oldmanwinters
03-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Just so long as THIS Mikey stays far, far away...
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/TMNT%20model%20sheets/tmnt_wk17-15_zpstalxrqdw.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/TMNT%20model%20sheets/tmnt_wk17-15_zpstalxrqdw.jpg.html)

Harukuro
03-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Mikey hasn't been in the right for a long time, has he? First killing Shredder and taking over the Foot, then the Mutanimals, and now Metal-Don.

I'm really confused about the Shredder example there; are you talking about judging Splinter wrong? Because I would say all of the turtles were surprised by their father's true colours being revealed (and in all honesty if my dad had strictly taught me a code of non-killing and then went and killed someone, I'd say I would be just as shocked as Mikey was). And I think Mikey's judgement during the Mutanimals arc was solid; otherwise he wouldn't have doubted Old Hob's claims and revealed that Hob was storing up weapons.

The only time I would say he was a bad judge of character was with LH; but then again all of the TMNT were fooled by him, and it fits with Mikey's character to see the best in people unless he has evidence that shows otherwise.

Also, I think Mikey's argument in the last issue was less that "Metal-Don is good" and more "Metal-Don is a person in his own right and should be treated as such", but that was my impression.

So I think Mikey isn't so much a bad judge of character so much as he has been having not a good time in the story in general right now; he hasn't really gotten much of a break since issue 50 (which is rather frustrating tbh), but at least his opinions and views are still valued by his brothers...:tconfuse:

MikeandRaph87
03-05-2017, 12:44 PM
I'm really confused about the Shredder example there; are you talking about judging Splinter wrong? Because I would say all of the turtles were surprised by their father's true colours being revealed (and in all honesty if my dad had strictly taught me a code of non-killing and then went and killed someone, I'd say I would be just as shocked as Mikey was). And I think Mikey's judgement during the Mutanimals arc was solid; otherwise he wouldn't have doubted Old Hob's claims and revealed that Hob was storing up weapons.

The only time I would say he was a bad judge of character was with LH; but then again all of the TMNT were fooled by him, and it fits with Mikey's character to see the best in people unless he has evidence that shows otherwise.

Also, I think Mikey's argument in the last issue was less that "Metal-Don is good" and more "Metal-Don is a person in his own right and should be treated as such", but that was my impression.

So I think Mikey isn't so much a bad judge of character so much as he has been having not a good time in the story in general right now; he hasn't really gotten much of a break since issue 50 (which is rather frustrating tbh), but at least his opinions and views are still valued by his brothers...:tconfuse:

I agree with each statement. I would only add that Michelangelo like anyone might one time or another. Mike did not know the right words to say in reference to Metal-Don. He failed and came off as a jerk. He didn't mean it that way. Only that its best to not have the imprint of Don's memories still inside of Metalhead. Leonardo making a harsh remark towards Pepperoni was also surprising. We can write it off as Leonardo feeling the pressure of multiple enemies waiting in the shadows and his brothers wanting to live in the moment in their own way.

Harukuro
03-05-2017, 01:00 PM
I agree with each statement. I would only add that Michelangelo like anyone might one time or another. Mike did not know the right words to say in reference to Metal-Don. He failed and came off as a jerk. He didn't mean it that way. Only that its best to not have the imprint of Don's memories still inside of Metalhead. Leonardo making a harsh remark towards Pepperoni was also surprising. We can write it off as Leonardo feeling the pressure of multiple enemies waiting in the shadows and his brothers wanting to live in the moment in their own way.

True, Mikey is not immune from his jerk moments. Though I will admit, while reading the preview, and skimming the previous issue again, I'm really confused about why Mikey is sulking? I feel like I missed something there.

And yeah, Leo has become much more abrasive recently, and while I can't exactly blame him after all the awful things that have happened to him, he needs to find a way to better communicate with his brothers otherwise he's going to find that his brothers won't trust or respect him as a leader.

As for the issue itself, I honestly don't know how to think yet. This story-arc is interesting, but it hasn't grabbed me as much as the previous "Universe" stories (which is a shame since I was looking forward to this story). :ohwell: But, I supposed it's too soon to really say anything else without actually reading the issue.

myconius
03-06-2017, 03:26 PM
normally i really don't like to read the previews, i like to wait till i have the full issue to read.

but the suspense the cliffhanger left it at is KILLING ME!!!! :lol:

myconius
03-06-2017, 03:37 PM
ok! now i'm really glad i gave in and read the preview....

that was AWESOME!!!! :D

Good to see Michelangelo eating his words from the last issue!!! :D

Leonardo- "all's fair in love and video games." :lol:

Michelangelo does really annoy me in the IDW'verse sometimes.
but i just try to keep in mind that is is still young and very immature.
it's just when he starts acting real bratty that i think he needs to have a 'time-out' in the corner. :lol:

Harukuro
03-08-2017, 06:51 AM
To be honest I have mixed feelings about this issue. While I, unfortunately, did not really enjoy the main story I felt the back-up story finally found it's wings in terms of story-telling and content.

My main feelings of disappointment come from the fact that we never did get to know more about Metalhead/Metal-Don from his point-of-view. Previous issues of Universe have allowed different characters (be it Zodi, Hob, LH, Wyrm, or Jenny) to be the central focus of the story and we learn more about what drives them. With Metalhead all we got from two issues is that he was tired of feeling emotions and pain...but we only got a few scenes showcasing that. :tconfuse: If they spent more time on him rather than on the TMNT I feel the two issues would have been much stronger as a whole.

The back-up story really surprised me this issue; I not only enjoyed it but I can safely say that I loved it. The previous two issues felt a bit disjointed in terms of their narratives, while this part had a much better cohesion between Jenny's "History of Ninja" text-narrative and visual stories showcased in the comic.

Mikey's face in his final panel of the comic really summed up his personality and struggles; he wants to do good in a world that sees him only as a monster. :tsad: And I especially loved this line in particular:

"Ask any woman...she'll tell you she's been training to be invisible since the day she was born."

Powerful stuff.

myconius
03-08-2017, 03:20 PM
i really enjoyed this two-parter. it was a good character piece for Donatello for what he went through when he nearly died, as well as introduced us to Metalhead 2.0.

i'm glad Metalhead's story wasn't resolved, but left off with yet another character to be explored through future stories. this story really felt right at home among the previous Micro-series (and that's a good thing)

the Jennika back-up is just as enjoyable to me as the previous two entries.
though i hope we find out more girl that came to Jenny's aid within the flashback.

DestronMirage22
03-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Surprised that there haven't been many comments about this issue. I thought it was pretty good. Ended pretty much how I expected it to, unfortunately. Kinda unsatisfactory.

Is it just me or has IDW Mikey gotten kinda annoying? He's starting to get on my nerves.

I couldn't even be bothered to read through the entirety of the back-up this time around. :lol: Guess it just isn't for me.

Pretty decent issue overall.

myconius
03-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Is it just me or has IDW Mikey gotten kinda annoying? He's starting to get on my nerves.

it's not just you. i've been very irritated by IDW Michelangelo for a while now.
and he started out pretty good too.

some good Leo and Raph moments in this issue.

ChosenOne
03-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Not my favorite arc of Universe, or IDW TMNT in a long time period, just as I expected. Though I did enjoy the back-up immensely and I guess there's another player (Metalhead 2.0) in the game now, and a Leatherhead-ish suicidal Frankenstein-monster-y loose cannon no less, so in the end it's all good.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 10:52 PM
Finally had time to sit down and read the issue... it didn't do what I expected.

This two-parter didn't really do what I was hoping it would; the first issue gave us a lot of good insight into what was happening inside Donatello's head while he was in Metalhead, but then it feels like the second issue just threw away all the thoughtful introspective material and instead settled for a new villain introduction and a bombastic robot-gone-wild story.

It wasn't BAD... it just wasn't what I wanted or expected. I'd give it an average grade, but I'd also dock it some points for settling for generic action instead of closure and character.

And I'm STILL hating the back-up. Seriously, what is the point of it!?

DestronMirage22
03-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Finally had time to sit down and read the issue... it didn't do what I expected.

This two-parter didn't really do what I was hoping it would; the first issue gave us a lot of good insight into what was happening inside Donatello's head while he was in Metalhead, but then it feels like the second issue just threw away all the thoughtful introspective material and instead settled for a new villain introduction and a bombastic robot-gone-wild story.

It wasn't BAD... it just wasn't what I wanted or expected. I'd give it an average grade, but I'd also dock it some points for settling for generic action instead of closure and character.

And I'm STILL hating the back-up. Seriously, what is the point of it!?

Completely agree with everything you said here. Particularly the bit about the back-up. Seems like they were trying something new, trying to present a characters backstory in a refreshing new way. On paper it probably sounded like a good idea, in practice though? Yeah....not so much.

CyberCubed
03-08-2017, 11:34 PM
Metalhead sort of reminds me of Vision from the Avengers, I think he might become an ally in the future. Or from a TMNT perspective, Nano from the 4kids series.

Alright issue, we'll see where Metalhead goes in future issues I guess.

Redeemer
03-09-2017, 12:33 AM
Frankly I just wan't digging the story. The story was new and unique. A fresh take on an old character, but I just didn't like it. It is interesting though that this new metal head is essentially an emotionless Donatello I thought the ending was probably the best part of the story, leaving the door open for a return.

myconius
03-09-2017, 06:45 AM
i enjoyed this story quite a bit.

a machine with an imprinted memory within itís circuits actually thinking they were that individual, but not actually being that individual.

the first part of the story had enough set-up for a high paced conclusion.

i was thinking with how psychologically damaged Metalhead was, he was too far gone to be anything other than a threat.
but the whole experience is still going to weigh heavy on Donatelloís conscience.

plus Metalhead 2.0 is going to be a living reminder of everything Donnie went through being trapped in a machine.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Frankly I just wan't digging the story. The story was new and unique. A fresh take on an old character, but I just didn't like it. It is interesting though that this new metal head is essentially an emotionless Donatello I thought the ending was probably the best part of the story, leaving the door open for a return.

i enjoyed this story quite a bit.

a machine with an imprinted memory within itís circuits actually thinking they were that individual, but not actually being that individual.

the first part of the story had enough set-up for a high paced conclusion.

i was thinking with how psychologically damaged Metalhead was, he was too far gone to be anything other than a threat.
but the whole experience is still going to weigh heavy on Donatelloís conscience.

plus Metalhead 2.0 is going to be a living reminder of everything Donnie went through being trapped in a machine.

The way I understand it, Metalhead basically lobotomized himself to free himself from the pain. But he still has memories, but kinda like they're locked away or not even worth using anymore... he's definitely not Donnie anymore.

myconius
03-09-2017, 09:45 AM
The way I understand it, Metalhead basically lobotomized himself to free himself from the pain. But he still has memories, but kinda like they're locked away or not even worth using anymore... he's definitely not Donnie anymore.

yeah, he definitely is NOT Donnie.

the way i interpreted the story was that he never truly was Donatello, only that he thought he was.

but now whatever part of him that once perceived himself to be Donatello is now gone.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-09-2017, 10:02 AM
yeah, he definitely is NOT Donnie.

the way i interpreted the story was that he never truly was Donatello, only that he thought he was.

but now whatever part of him that once perceived himself to be Donatello is now gone.

Nah, the way I saw it, it WAS Donnie. But Donnie was hovering on the edge of the abyss while he was in Metalhead--barely holding onto his sanity.

When he saw himself already restored and knew that this part of himself was trapped in the robot for good, saw himself in another body living his life and moving on while leaving him imprisoned electronically, he snapped and lost it.

Tragic stuff. And then we got a robot fight for the finale. :trolleye:

myconius
03-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Nah, the way I saw it, it WAS Donnie. But Donnie was hovering on the edge of the abyss while he was in Metalhead--barely holding onto his sanity.

When he saw himself already restored and knew that this part of himself was trapped in the robot for good, saw himself in another body living his life and moving on while leaving him imprisoned electronically, he snapped and lost it.

that's definitely a good debate.

honestly the whole idea of what a soul is (and can it possibly be copied?) is some heavy stuff.
way over my head!!! :lol:

one thing i wonder is if Donatello still hadn't found peace with his experience being trapped within the machine, and that's what really compelled his to re-activate Metalhead?

i wouldn't be too disappointed.
this was only but an introduction to Metalhead 2.0 :)

old_hob88
03-09-2017, 10:12 AM

It seemed like he never truly had Donnie's memories to begin with. Only a fractured subset. Same thing his personality and emotions. He was initially just a broken shell of Donnie and he's wiped that away, so he's something new now.

Curious to see where Metalhead 2.0's story goes from here

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-09-2017, 10:16 AM
It seemed like he never truly had Donnie's memories to begin with. Only a fractured subset. Same thing his personality and emotions. He was initially just a broken shell of Donnie and he's wiped that away, so he's something new now.

Maybe. Whatever he had, though, it IS gone.

An interesting direction to take the story... though, where do you take Metalhead from here?

myconius
03-09-2017, 10:17 AM

^ this was very close to how i viewed it as well.

though your summation is a lot better thought out that than my conclusion. :lol:

CyberCubed
03-09-2017, 12:56 PM
I wonder what direction they can go with Metalhead's character now. He has no reason to join up with anyone and and is just a sentient being all by himself now. He might as well just fly into the middle of a cave somewhere and stay there to be alone with his thoughts.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-09-2017, 01:17 PM
I wonder what direction they can go with Metalhead's character now. He has no reason to join up with anyone and and is just a sentient being all by himself now. He might as well just fly into the middle of a cave somewhere and stay there to be alone with his thoughts.

Yeah, agreed.

In all iterations, Metalhead never struck me as having much potential. I think he's a true "one-shot" character, and IDW has done the most with him of any TMNT iteration.

I think this should have been his curtain call, but if Bobby sees potential for later down the line, so be it.

MikeandRaph87
03-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Where there multiple shells for Metalhead? I could have sworn there was a second one in Harold's lab. I haven't had a chance for a through read through yet.

myconius
03-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Where there multiple shells for Metalhead? I could have sworn there was a second one in Harold's lab. I haven't had a chance for a through read through yet.

i'm pretty sure Metalhead 2.0 uploaded himself to the new 'Metalhead' body that Harold was building in the 'Leatherhead' arc.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-09-2017, 01:28 PM
i'm pretty sure Metalhead 2.0 uploaded himself to the new 'Metalhead' body that Harold was building in the 'Leatherhead' arc.

Is that where it came from? I didn't even remember...

myconius
03-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Is that where it came from? I didn't even remember...

it's not the exact same body, but we see Harold was developing a new Metalhead in IDW Tmnt #56.

probably while it was still under construction, Harold altered it's physical shape.

i'm going to guess that after hearing there was a giant mutant Alligator loose in NY, Harold decided to make the new Metalhead more physically formidable? :lol:

ToTheNines
03-11-2017, 09:31 AM

Yeah, I was also let down by the hard left turn. But Metalhead will be a cool character going forward. I think he'll be a force for good, but with no grey area as to what's right and wrong. I bet he ends up with a pretty high body count before he's done.

But hats off to the creative team. Gorham rocks, Pattison rocks and Ferrier is intimately familiar with the IDW universe. And I love his dialogue. He let Leo and Raph be Leo and Raph, but left the generic tough guy act at the door. They felt like real teenagers and real brothers. His Mikey wasn't over the top and Donnie had plenty of great moments. He can come back any time.

This was the first part of the Revel back up that I can say I enjoyed. It's all coming together and this one seemed much more coherent. I guess she's gonna run in to Leo next month. Surely they'll have an interesting exchange.

myconius
03-11-2017, 11:06 AM
at the end of this issue Metalhead could have destroyed the Turtles but chose not to.
i wonder if this was an act of mercy or if he just couldn't be bothered by them as of now?

DrSpengler
03-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT Universe #8 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2017/03/tmnt-universe-8_11.html)

Dig the new look for Metalhead; that cuter midget design wasn't gonna cut it if they plan on continuing with him as an antagonist. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing how his new and unique personality plays out once he comes back and gets more page time. Maybe he'll be played as an "Evil Donatello", which could be a lot of fun.

Really dug this two-parter.

ProphetofGanja
03-12-2017, 08:21 PM
Eh :ohwell: The story was decent I guess and the art was pretty good but the characterization and dialogue just felt way, way off to me. None of the Turtles sounded or seemed to act like they normally do for the most part, and that just kept pulling me out of the story. All in all, I'm just glad the Toad Baron story is up next now, that seems like it'll be really cool and interesting.

MikeandRaph87
03-12-2017, 08:33 PM
So do we classify Metalhead as ally, antihero, or enemy?

CyberCubed
03-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Isn't it way too early to tell? Nobody will have a clue what he does until whenever his next appearance is.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-12-2017, 09:15 PM

Enemy. Calling it now.

myconius
03-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Enemy. Calling it now.

careful!

Bobby might read your proclamation and start altering future storylines just because :lol:

MikeandRaph87
03-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Enemy. Calling it now.

We have enough bad guys and while TMNT has a rich field to mine with its villains its not so much the case with allies. Metalhead may have been created by Krang but a simple rewire defected him to the side of heroes. Keep Metalhead good.

myconius
03-12-2017, 09:26 PM
We have enough bad guys and while TMNT has a rich field to mine with its villains its not so much the case with allies. Metalhead may have been created by Krang but a simple rewire defected him to the side of heroes. Keep Metalhead good.

didn't Harold build Metalhead?

MikeandRaph87
03-12-2017, 09:30 PM
didn't Harold build Metalhead?

I meant originally through the character's existence.

ToTheNines
03-12-2017, 09:39 PM

Antihero. He's still got Don's cold logic, but no touchy feelies. He might be the death of Bebop and Rocksteady.

ProphetofGanja
03-12-2017, 09:53 PM
I meant originally through the character's existence.

What? Harold built him in his lab. We're talking about IDW so I don't see how other iterations of the character's origin factor into this discussion

CyberCubed
03-13-2017, 03:18 AM
What? Harold built him in his lab. We're talking about IDW so I don't see how other iterations of the character's origin factor into this discussion

The original cartoon version of Metalhead was created by Krang, so I assume that's what he's talking about. Although I am as confused as you are why he'd be thinking of a different series when talking about IDW Metalhead.

MikeandRaph87
03-13-2017, 06:25 AM
I am saying Mwtalhead is a good guy overall ODW and beyond that is all. I feel TMNT is lacking in allies to fight alongside the Turtles.

ProphetofGanja
03-13-2017, 07:46 AM
I am saying Mwtalhead is a good guy overall ODW and beyond that is all. I feel TMNT is lacking in allies to fight alongside the Turtles.

I kind of feel the opposite, many characters who have started out initially as enemies have become the Turtles' allies: Old Hob, Slash, Alopex, Harold (although that was really just a one-off altercation with Donnie), and the whole damn Foot Clan, including Karai, Koya, and Bludgeon (at least in theory, since we haven't checked in with them in a while)

myconius
03-13-2017, 08:01 AM
I kind of feel the opposite, many characters who have started out initially as enemies have become the Turtles' allies: Old Hob, Slash, Alopex, Harold (although that was really just a one-off altercation with Donnie), and the whole damn Foot Clan, including Karai, Koya, and Bludgeon (at least in theory, since we haven't checked in with them in a while)

^ you make a very good point there.

CyberCubed
03-13-2017, 12:27 PM
There are more allies in IDW TMNT than not. As said most of the villains become allies or neutral after a while. Baxter Stockman is another good example.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-13-2017, 12:45 PM
careful!

Bobby might read your proclamation and start altering future storylines just because :lol:

:tlol: Dammit, I should've kept my mouth shut. :tlol:

Antihero. He's still got Don's cold logic, but no touchy feelies. He might be the death of Bebop and Rocksteady.

I'd kill for a story where Metalhead goes on a rampage against Bebop and Rocksteady and the Turtles have to intervene to save the monstrous mutant duo!

There are more allies in IDW TMNT than not. As said most of the villains become allies or neutral after a while. Baxter Stockman is another good example.

Stockman is NOT neutral or a good guy. He's a villain whom they happen to be working with. "Lesser evil" does not equate to "reformed antagonist."

myconius
03-13-2017, 06:10 PM
:tlol: Dammit, I should've kept my mouth shut. :tlol:

if Metalhead does become an ally to the Turtles, we'll just have to wonder :tlol:

I'd kill for a story where Metalhead goes on a rampage against Bebop and Rocksteady and the Turtles have to intervene to save the monstrous mutant duo!

that would actually be a pretty intense story!

though i wouldn't blame Donatello one bit for turning a blind eye! :P