PDA

View Full Version : How much TV do you watch nowadays?

Prowler
03-04-2017, 06:31 PM
By watching TV I mean stuff that normally airs on TV such as movies(they all eventually do), tv shows and animated series(well maybe not anime OVAs since they're direct to video). So just wondering, in case you're gonna say you never watch TV at all but still watch The Simpsons on DVD everyday, that counts as watching TV. However, watching youtube stuff such as Angry Video Game Nerd episodes doesn't count as watching TV.

I really don't watch much. I watch about 2-3 hours per week on average. That includes one or two football matches. And I don't follow any TV show atm nor have I watched anime in a long time. Occasionally I'll watch a movie but not on a weekly basis. Then there's short news videos I watch on either youtube or on the media outlets' websites.

As for actually turning on the TV itself, well usually when I do it's to play console games.

What about you?

sdp
03-04-2017, 07:01 PM
I think we had this thread a while ago where I was criticized by Cybercubed for only watching around 40 minutes of TV a day and that I needed to watch more.

snake
03-04-2017, 07:04 PM
None, unless a new episode of a show I keep up with is on and I'm lucky enough to catch it. I'm hardly home though, so streaming is the way to go for me, which is how I watch most of my shows.

CyberCubed
03-04-2017, 07:05 PM
I don't watch stuff on TV with commericals anymore, but I speed run through shows online.

Watching shows with commercials is for chumps. This isn't 1995 anymore.

Prowler
03-04-2017, 07:12 PM
I think we had this thread a while ago where I was criticized by Cybercubed for only watching around 40 minutes of TV a day and that I needed to watch more.
Oh? I don't remember it, honestly. But I can totally see CC saying that lol

I don't watch stuff on TV with commericals anymore, but I speed run through shows online.

Speed run? Really? And honestly, you're not the first person I've seen saying this. I could never do that. I don't like missing stuff.

Man, commercials are the worst.

snake
03-04-2017, 07:31 PM
I'm not a huge fan of binge-watching. I usually go through a show 1 episode per day. You digest the material better and makes each episode worth more.

Prowler
03-04-2017, 07:34 PM
I'm not a huge fan of binge-watching. I'm a fan of going through a show 1 episode per day. You digest the material better and makes each episode worth more.
I don't pick up anime or series with that in mind. It's never my goal to power through the whole thing in one day only. Not even for 13-26 episode long anime series. By the time I watch my sixth episode of the day, I already start feeling burnout. Everyone has their own pace.

DestronMirage22
03-04-2017, 07:37 PM
I watch at least 3 hours a day.

sdp
03-04-2017, 07:43 PM
None, unless a new episode of a show I keep up with is on and I'm lucky enough to catch it. I'm hardly home though, so streaming is the way to go for me, which is how I watch most of my shows.

I don't watch stuff on TV with commericals anymore,

Read the OP, movies/dvds/netflix/youtube would count as watching "TV" under his definition

I'm not a huge fan of binge-watching. I'm a fan of going through a show 1 episode per day. You digest the material better and makes each episode worth more.

I used to feel like this when I first started watching show online exclusively around 11 years ago. I agree with you and it makes the "journey" more memorable when you do it like this. But I've also now seen the light of binge watching; When you have a show that has a high episode count it would take you way too much time, to finish. Anything that's more than 60 episodes I need to binge watch or I'll never finish. By doing this you can get through shows rather quickly.

but I speed run through shows online.

Yeah I haven't watched commercials on TV on my own for a decade now, I could never go back. I regret all those hours I wasted of my life watching commercials as a kid. Though I'll admit I've viewed 90s commercials on youtube for nostalgic purposes :lol:

What do you mean by "speed run"?

When I'm watching some of those endless shows that I'm not super interested in I tend to watch them while being on my PC and doing stuff like say posting on the drome. That way if I spend two hours on the internet I also got to see like 6 episodes of a show and I can finish them off quickly. I recently did that with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers since it was 200+ episodes.

The downside of that is you don't pay attention to everything that's happening on screen and sometimes you miss some information and also you can't do anything too intensive on the internet since if you do some real reading it means you're not paying any attention to the TV. So yeah if I do this I can only browse websites more passively/social and not read about say something actually useful for life.

Prowler
03-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Read the OP, movies/dvds/netflix/youtube would count as watching "TV" under his definition

I used to feel like this when I first started watching show online exclusively around 11 years ago. I agree with you and it makes the "journey" more memorable when you do it like this. But I've also now seen the light of binge watching; When you have a show that has a high episode count it would take you way too much time, to finish. Anything that's more than 60 episodes I need to binge watch or I'll never finish. By doing this you can get through shows rather quickly.

Yeah I haven't watched commercials on TV on my own for a decade now, I could never go back. I regret all those hours I wasted of my life watching commercials as a kid. Though I'll admit I've viewed 90s commercials on youtube for nostalgic purposes :lol:

What do you mean by "speed run"?

When I'm watching some of those endless shows that I'm not super interested in I tend to watch them while being on my PC and doing stuff like say posting on the drome. That way if I spend two hours on the internet I also got to see like 6 episodes of a show and I can finish them off quickly. I recently did that with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers since it was 200+ episodes.

The downside of that is you don't pay attention to everything that's happening on screen and sometimes you miss some information and also you can't do anything too intensive on the internet since if you do some real reading it means you're not paying any attention to the TV. So yeah if I do this I can only browse websites more passively/social and not read about say something actually useful for life.
If you watch movies, cartoons, etc. on Netflix or youtube then yeah, you're "watching TV" imo. But a youtube video of a guy talking about his day or a personal vlog channel don't count since they were not made to air on TV at all.

Multi-tasking while watching movies and such would be fine but... I watch anime in Japanese and also media in other languages. I need subtitles for those(barely for German nowadays).

sdp
03-04-2017, 08:01 PM
If you watch movies, cartoons, etc. on Netflix or youtube then yeah, you're "watching TV" imo. But a youtube video of a guy talking about his day or a personal vlog channel don't count since they were not made to air on TV at all.

Multi-tasking while watching movies and such would be fine but... I watch anime in Japanese and also media in other languages. I need subtitles for those(barely for German nowadays).

It depends on the youtube content, there's plenty of high quality with nice production on youtube and not just fat sweaty guys on their basement, it's totally TV. That's why you have stuff like youtube red and now youtubetv, all smartTVs and so many streaming devices including consoles include youtube apps without mentioning tv shows now copy ideas from youtube. Is a game review not "TV"? Because when there were Video Game review shows on TV they were counted as such.

Yeah when watching something in a foreign language you really can't multi-task, which is good since you pay more attention but when you have an anime that's 100+ episodes and only subs are available it means I'll probably skip it.

TigerClaw
03-04-2017, 08:02 PM
I don't watch much TV any more since being on the computer a lot, which has taken my majority of the time, I would watch TMNT when a new episode is on, but sometimes I don't watch it til a day or 2 later since I have a Tivo recording it for me.

CyberCubed
03-04-2017, 08:18 PM
I watch shows that literally go on for hundreds of episodes like Pokemon, Dragonball, TMNT, etc....the only way to get through these shows is to binge watch.

Of course when the shows are new and only 1 ep airs a week you can't do anything about that. But when shows are already over, or have a huge chunk of seasons/episodes in the past....you can watch through it all very quickly. For example the original TMNT cartoon is 193 episodes yet I can watch through it all in about 2 months.

Prowler
03-04-2017, 08:20 PM
It depends on the youtube content, there's plenty of high quality with nice production on youtube and not just fat sweaty guys on their basement, it's totally TV. That's why you have stuff like youtube red and now youtubetv, all smartTVs and so many streaming devices including consoles include youtube apps without mentioning tv shows now copy ideas from youtube. Is a game review not "TV"? Because when there were Video Game review shows on TV they were counted as such.

Yeah when watching something in a foreign language you really can't multi-task, which is good since you pay more attention but when you have an anime that's 100+ episodes and only subs are available it means I'll probably skip it.
YouTube Red series, from what I gather, is different since they're actual series made by a big company. A guy like AVGN is just a guy who decided to do a couple of funny game reviews and then became a hit with them without ever expecting it. It's the idea of two men at best. It's not a corporate creation that's meant to be watched on TV. AVGN episodes are all over the place as far as running time goes. If it was an actual TV show that would never happen. Also, lots of sh*t that goes on in AVGN episodes... no way it'd get shown on TV. It'd get censored and all his pop culture references, including physical objects, and Mike Matei dressed up as Joker or Bugs Bunny... pretty sure they'd have to pay copyrights for it. Also, if a big tv network created that show, certain companies would not like getting trashed on prime time... like LJN, per example. No way James would get away with sh*tting so openly on them if his "show" aired on Comedy Central.

As for reviews on TV, well those are professionally made and by actual gaming journalists. James Rolfe is neither.

Nowadays, it cannot be too hard to make videos in good quality, considering how everyone owns a smartphone, some of them with very good cameras. Also, anyone who is talented with cameras can make nice looking vlog videos. By that logic, my family vacation videos would count as TV if I decided to upload them on youtube someday.

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from, but I'd rather not put every sort of video in the same bag in this case.

Yeah, thank God Legend of the Galactic Heroes was fully subbed a decade ago or almost. Also, it's really annoying when a manga series hasn't been fully translated that. Me and another guy had been meaning to read Ashita no Joe for years but it NEVER got picked up until around 2014 or so.

ssjup81
03-04-2017, 08:47 PM
I only watch YT videos these days. Couldn't say how long since it's sporadic, and the content of those videos don't count. I do watch Sonic Boom and the Nick TMNT series. I watch South Park eps when they're new and I occasionally watch Adventure Time.

Back home, practically none. I only watched TV for shows I kept up with and that was about two and those same two eps I can no longer watch over here.

Powder
03-04-2017, 08:49 PM
I watch maybe an hour or less a day on average, I guess. I don't use cable, just streaming services on which I keep up to date with anime, TMNT, & Gaki No Tsukai. When I'm binge-watching a series, like I recently did with Boardwalk Empire, I might do 5+ hours a day.

Prowler
03-04-2017, 09:59 PM
I watch shows that literally go on for hundreds of episodes like Pokemon, Dragonball, TMNT, etc....the only way to get through these shows is to binge watch.

Of course when the shows are new and only 1 ep airs a week you can't do anything about that. But when shows are already over, or have a huge chunk of seasons/episodes in the past....you can watch through it all very quickly. For example the original TMNT cartoon is 193 episodes yet I can watch through it all in about 2 months.
Why do so many people still watch the Pokémon anime after all these years? It must have nearly one thousand episodes by now and most of them involve Team Rocket trying to steal Pikachu. Will Ash ever become a Pokémon master? The Pokémon anime is just a 20 minute ad for the video game series. It's episodic and I'm sure people only watch it for a season or two and then drop it once they reach puberty. The fact that there's so many adults who still watch it since the first season first came out is mindblowing.

Shark_Blade
03-04-2017, 10:13 PM
I don't watch tv, I despise commercials and empty talk shows. Thank God for internet.

The tv series I watch on my PC whenever I want.

Why do so many people still watch the Pokémon anime after all these years? It must have nearly one thousand episodes by now and most of them involve Team Rocket trying to steal Pikachu. Will Ash ever become a Pokémon master? The Pokémon anime is just a 20 minute ad for the video game series. It's episodic and I'm sure people only watch it for a season or two and then drop it once they reach puberty. The fact that there's so many adults who still watch it since the first season first came out is mindblowing.

Because it caters to many generations after generations? Quit whining like a grandpa yelling at clouds and watch the anime yourself.

The current Sun & Moon anime series is particularly entertaining imo.

Powder
03-04-2017, 10:13 PM

For the same reasons people watch The Simpsons, or Spongebob.

Anyway, people like Pokemon, the Pokemon themselves, a lot. It's not always about Ash for the viewers. & the latest season got a makeover as well as some other much needed changes. Team Rocket get their own travel tales now as opposed to it always being a hunt for Pikachu. We see them capturing Pokemon, taking part in local culture, etc. It's really good.

Prowler
03-04-2017, 10:17 PM
For the same reasons people watch The Simpsons, or Spongebob.

Anyway, people like Pokemon, the Pokemon themselves, a lot. It's not always about Ash for the viewers. & the latest season got a makeover as well as some other much needed changes. Team Rocket get their own travel tales now as opposed to it always being a hunt for Pikachu. We see them capturing Pokemon, taking part in local culture, etc. It's really good.
But The Simpsons I get. Each episode tells a new story. However, Pokémon was the same thing for over a decade. Hopping from town to town or area to area and battling trainers, catching pokémon, defeating gym leaders, etc.

Had no idea it got a new makeover.

No idea about Spongebob since I've never seen it. Is that even still on?

I don't watch tv, I despise commercials and empty talk shows. Thank God for internet.

The tv series I watch on my PC whenever I want.

Because it caters to many generations after generations? Quit whining like a grandpa yelling at clouds and watch the anime yourself.

The current Sun & Moon anime series is particularly entertaining imo.
Not understanding why people like something =/= whining like a grandpa. Boy you really sold me on the Pokémon anime!

sdp
03-04-2017, 10:56 PM
If you haven't watched Pokemon in many years why do you assume it's the same thing? You clearly describe the way the show worked for it's first two generations but after that the show slowly evolved and moved on. I mean it's still Pokemon that you can recognize but at the same time it's a very different in its format from the original show. The main audience of the anime is still kids who after one or two generations of the show they stop watching, the adult fanbase is not that big outside of "casual" fans who only talk about the anime from time to time like when Ash is at the Pokemon League again.

Video entertainment is video entertainment, maybe a decade ago the line was a little blurry on what counted as a real show but that line has been broken thanks to streaming exclusive shows, youtubers who make more money than real tv shows and tv shows that copy formats of youtubers.

And yeah when you post on a message board about TMNT you can't really make fun of people liking other stuff. We like what we like and it's silly but so are the things that you may like.

Prowler
03-04-2017, 11:04 PM
If you haven't watched Pokemon in many years why do you assume it's the same thing? You clearly describe the way the show worked for it's first two generations but after that the show slowly evolved and moved on. I mean it's still Pokemon that you can recognize but at the same time it's a very different in its format from the original show. The main audience of the anime is still kids who after one or two generations of the show they stop watching, the adult fanbase is not that big outside of "casual" fans who only talk about the anime from time to time like when Ash is at the Pokemon League again.

Video entertainment is video entertainment, maybe a decade ago the line was a little blurry on what counted as a real show but that line has been broken thanks to streaming exclusive shows, youtubers who make more money than real tv shows and tv shows that copy formats of youtubers.

And yeah when you post on a message board about TMNT you can't really make fun of people liking other stuff. We like what we like and it's silly but so are the things that you may like.
I've watched somel episodes of the Advance generation back in 2005-2006 when I'd wake up earlier and a Pokémon episode would air before a TMNT 2k3 one. The show was still like that and it was already on for quite some years by then.

"Making fun of"? Your'e seeing things where they don't exist. Making fun of would have been if I had posted a lol smile at the end or said something like "LOL @ still watching that!". Don't reach. All I said was that I found it mindblowing how so many people could follow the show from 1999(or whenever it debuted) until present day. I said it was mindblowing because, even if the show eventually changed, that still meant you watched basically the same formula for years. And also, I was never was fan of the pokémon anime even when I was a kid. Just found it uninteresting for the most part since my first exposure to Pokémon were the actual games and the anime didn't offer anything new for me. And even the first two pokémon animated films which are so loved by many, I cant' say love liked them. granted I only saw them for the first time ever as an adult.

Turo602
03-05-2017, 03:56 AM
I don't really watch actual TV anymore. If I'm ever watching something, it's usually on apps like Hulu, Netflix, CW app, or WWE Network. I watch a lot of Youtube as well. Mostly video game related content and some other stuff. Though, I spend more time playing video games than I do watching anything.

ssjup81
03-05-2017, 05:50 AM
But The Simpsons I get. Each episode tells a new story. However, Pokémon was the same thing for over a decade. Hopping from town to town or area to area and battling trainers, catching pokémon, defeating gym leaders, etc. Each series reflects the game it's based on. I haven't played it, but the current series Sun/Moon, doesn't have gym leader matches apparently. So yeah, each series is a little different from the previous series, depending on the game it's reflecting. That's probably why the show is still on. They stop making mainstream games, they stop producing the anime.

For me personally, the only series I've seen all the way through are the Kanto eps and the Orange Island eps. Seen scattered eps here and there. The Black/White games brought me back to the fandom and I started watching Best Wishes and loved the Rockets along with Dentó for it, but just like the other series, I eventually grew bored. I played X, it was ok, but I couldn't bring myself to watch the show.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
03-05-2017, 06:01 AM
That includes one or two football matches.

What soccer do you watch?

ProactiveMan
03-05-2017, 08:16 AM
I watch a lot of YouTube, but actual TV TV... not much at all. I think in the past 12 months I watched Eurovision and Doctor Who, and that's it.

I don't even have Netflix; although I watch it at my Sister's place occasionally. Last thing I was on that was The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2: The Quest for Pants. Those pants are cursed I tell ya. They're nothing but trouble.

DisKosh
03-05-2017, 08:45 AM
I only watch TV if I happened to be at someone else's house because I don't have my own.

I don't really have room for a TV in my flat (although I could move the trunk into my spare room but it's so pretty I have to have it on display) and as I'm in the UK you have to pay a licence if you're under 65 which costs about Ł145 a year so it's cheaper just to get Netflix.

Prowler
03-05-2017, 10:48 AM
What soccer do you watch?
Nowadays? Mostly my club's games.

Wesley
03-05-2017, 11:32 AM
I don't watch much television nowadays. I used to watch anything as a kid/teenager, though, when there was less choice. I just watch a few tv shows and movies every now and then at the moment. I do watch the news and a few current affairs programmes as well. I'm not a fan of the 'big' shows like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

Icebot
03-06-2017, 01:41 AM
I actually don't have regular cable so I guess not much. The only shows I guess are considered TV I've been watching are the new TMNT 2012 episodes, I've been watching a marathon of TMNT 2003 and I do have Netflix. On that, I've been watching Fuller House and the Wonder Years. That's about it I guess.

I watch most videos on YouTube, such as video game let's plays and versus.