PDA

View Full Version : How do you discover new good movies to watch that came out decades ago?

CyberCubed
03-06-2017, 12:46 PM
So for example, most of the best movies came out decades ago either before most of us were born or when we were just kids. Outside of word of mouth, I usually go to actors rottentomato page and scan through to see what the best reviewed movies are. I've discovered a lot of new movies I've never seen before that I enjoyed.

For example I went to Harrison Ford's page to see some of his other more obscure movies from the 80's, and I discovered some new favorites like, "The Mosquito Coast," "Working Girl," and, "Frantic." Working Girl especially is fantastic, and Sigourney Weaver also stars in it from Aliens. It's amazing how many other great Harrison Ford movies there are that people overlook or never watch simply because they assume he's just "Han Solo or Indiana Jones or Blade Runner" and don't watch his other stuff. Besides big hits like "Air Force One" and, "The Fugitive."

I did the same with Sylvester Stallone, best known for Rocky or Rambo. I discovered, "Nighthawks" from 1981 where he's a buddy cop with Billy Dee Williams, and, "Cop Land" from 1997. I'm going to watch some of his other older movies like F.I.S.T. and so forth.

I'm going to go through Keeanu Reeves, Mel Gibson, Arnold's, Tom Cruise's, etc....all other older movies and discover new favorites.

Prowler
03-06-2017, 02:33 PM
...you answered your own question in the OP. I mean, like you said, looking at actors and directors pages on IMDB or wikipedia. You can also use websites like letterboxd and see what movies the people you follow logged recently. Or you can just google for "best movies form the 1950s" or something.

This is why I don't understand how so many people nowadays, where it's easier to find more obscure shows/movies/cartoons/anime/music artists/etc. than ever still need the mainstream media and gigantic ads by roadside to tell them what to watch/read/listen to.

Cryomancer
03-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Go by director and you'll (maybe) have an even better time.

Cure
03-06-2017, 06:03 PM
New movies that came out decades ago, eh?

CyberCubed
03-06-2017, 06:22 PM
I meant new to us, as in we never seen them before. Even the big famous actors have so many obscure or minor films that were actually really good that nobody talks about.

I watched 10 obscure Harrison Ford films over the last week or so. Ironically enough he basically plays himself in every movie that isn't Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

mrmaczaps
03-06-2017, 08:53 PM
I watch old movies with my parents and even once in a while with my grandparents... its quite entertaining at times to see some of the actors as kids with bit parts that are now stars all on their own or even some that were popular for a short time and now are only bit part actors today. Even more fun is watching movies that only came out 10-15 years ago that I never saw that have todays new young stars in them. Saw one of Anna Kendricks first films a couple weeks ago... before Twilight... lol

Powder
03-06-2017, 10:39 PM
Sometimes I go through the back catalog of an actor I like, otherwise I seek recommendations through Google, or simply look up content I'd like to see to find out if it exists. Occasionally I'll stumble across one on Netflix that I hadn't been aware of, like Monster Squad. James Rolfe's reviews have put me on to quite a few gems, too. There are a lot of cool blogs out there for this sorta thing, at least when it comes down to specific genres. I never have a hard time finding good Kung-Fu or horror recs thanks to bloggers.

I could use some good suggestions for obscure mafia films. Not stuff everybody knows like Goodfellas & The Godfather.

ToTheNines
03-07-2017, 01:21 AM
I could use some good suggestions for obscure mafia films. Not stuff everybody knows like Goodfellas & The Godfather.

I know a ton. Off the top of my head: State of Grace, Family Enforcer/The Death Collector, A Bronx Tale, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and Wannabes (featuring Raymond Serra from TMNT) are all musts. I'll check off the rest from my collection when I get home.

There's also Men of Respect, which isn't that good but is an adaption of Macbeth. So it's interesting if you like Shakespeare.

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 02:34 AM
The Untouchables is another good one...if that's what I'm thinking of. A lot of buddy-cop movies also deal with mafia like enemies, even if they're not really the mafia.

Allio
03-07-2017, 07:38 AM
I use a thing called Google search

DisKosh
03-07-2017, 11:50 AM
I usually discover them if they're adaptations of books I like then I look at actors, directors and styles.

For instance, I really liked The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo so I watched the 1928 film and began to enjoy the German Expressionist style so I went on to watch The Golem and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Friends find out that I've never seen a movie, freak out and loudly berate me with phrases like "What do you mean you've never seen Planet of the Apes!?" or "Dude, EVERYBODY has seen Airplane!" or "You GOTTA see The Fifth Element!"

Then they force me to sit down and watch it with them, and I usually don't like it.

Screw the Fifth Element.

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 12:59 PM
LOL, I like the 5th element. Bruce Willis also has a lot of good movies outside of Die Hard.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-07-2017, 01:00 PM
LOL, I like the 5th element. Bruce Willis also has a lot of good movies outside of Die Hard.

You want some good recent movies with Bruce Willis, check out:

RED
RED 2
16 Blocks

I love all three of those...

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 01:01 PM
What about Pulp Fiction and Sin City?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-07-2017, 01:07 PM

Pulp Fiction is damn good... but I honestly forgot Bruce Willis was in that until you brought it up. :tlol:

Haven't gotten around to seeing Sin City yet...

DisKosh
03-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Has anyone noticed the tags for this thread sound like a titles from a children's picture book series about the internet? :tlol:

MikeandRaph87
03-07-2017, 02:18 PM
One such way is the now late Robert Osborne introducing a classic film era movie to see if it interest me as I said in his in memorandum thread. Another is looking at movie ranking list then watching trailers. Such list as IMDB. If it interest me from the trailer I will look on the DVR. If not in the next seven to ten days I will go to Netflix to see if its streaming on able to be ordered by mail.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Has anyone noticed the tags for this thread sound like a titles from a children's picture book series about the internet? :tlol:

I'd read those books. :tlol:

THGhost
03-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Pretty much all of the above: look through an actor/director's filmography on IMDB, recommendations from friends/family, etc.

Pulp Fiction is damn good

I was worried you were gonna say you didn't like it. :lol:

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Eddie Murphy's best movies from the 80's like Trading Places, Coming to America, Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2, and 48 hours are all required viewing. As well as The Nutty Professor.

Coming to America might very well be the best comedy of all time.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Pretty much all of the above: look through an actor/director's filmography on IMDB, recommendations from friends/family, etc.

I was worried you were gonna say you didn't like it. :lol:

Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta for the MOTHERFVCKING WIN.

MikeandRaph87
03-07-2017, 03:45 PM
I'd read those books. :tlol:

Tell me how do you 'read' a picture book? I would like to learn how to read pictures.:P

Wesley
03-07-2017, 04:47 PM
I discover old films by watching them on tv channels or looking up different genres via the Internet.

DisKosh
03-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Tell me how do you 'read' a picture book? I would like to learn how to read pictures.:P

Some picture books have words in addition to images.

MikeandRaph87
03-07-2017, 05:34 PM
I was just giving CKD a hard time. Its a part of our e-friendship.

I am curious about the favorite classics of 'dromers thanks to this thread and Robert Osborne passing away.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-07-2017, 07:18 PM

I dunno... same way guys read certain magazines "for the articles." :trazz:

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Movies were generally much better prior to the 2000's. There have been some great movies in the last 16 years, but everything is better prior.

This is not even counting classic movies from the 30's-50's. There were also a lot of gems in the 60's and 70's too. Even before the more modern 80's and 90's films.

The young kids of today just don't know what they're missing. It's kind of ironic all the actors prior to the 2000's are unknown to today's young kids.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Movies were generally much better prior to the 2000's. There have been some great movies in the last 16 years, but everything is better prior.

This is not even counting classic movies from the 30's-50's. There were also a lot of gems in the 60's and 70's too. Even before the more modern 80's and 90's films.

The young kids of today just don't know what they're missing. It's kind of ironic all the actors prior to the 2000's are unknown to today's young kids.

That's funny; I feel the exact opposite.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-07-2017, 07:48 PM
I know a ton. Off the top of my head: State of Grace, Family Enforcer/The Death Collector, A Bronx Tale, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and Wannabes (featuring Raymond Serra from TMNT) are all musts. I'll check off the rest from my collection when I get home.

There's also Men of Respect, which isn't that good but is an adaption of Macbeth. So it's interesting if you like Shakespeare.

There's a fun one I like called Innocent Blood- vampire Mob goons- it's hilarious in a twisted way, and a pretty good flick!

Friends find out that I've never seen a movie, freak out and loudly berate me with phrases like "What do you mean you've never seen Planet of the Apes!?" or "Dude, EVERYBODY has seen Airplane!" or "You GOTTA see The Fifth Element!"

Then they force me to sit down and watch it with them, and I usually don't like it.

Screw the Fifth Element.

You, sir, are a godless heathen!

I lol'ed! Aren't you forgetting comics too?

Prowler
03-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Playboy(at least my country's edition) actually has some interesting interviews, at least the few issues I've read... at the doctor's waiting room.

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 09:56 PM
That's funny; I feel the exact opposite.

Really? The 2000's is when movie companies started "playing it safe" and also started running out of ideas, that's why there are now so many remakes or sequels/prequels to old classic movies. Outside of the huge explosion of comic book movies (which are based on already established franchises), there haven't been many breakout new movies in the 2000's.

Think of all the biggest movies of the last 16 years, the bulk of them are either comic book movies, sequels or remakes of old movies, or based on popular books like Harry Potter, etc.

Prowler
03-07-2017, 10:12 PM
I don't watch as many movies and let alone tv shows as most people do, but it seems nowadays there's an overwhelming amount of Marvel and DC live action films, and those films don't appeal me at all. I've never seen so many people claiming to be fans of superheroes outside the big ones(Superman, Batman, Spider-Man) like I do nowadays. It's like Thor stopped being the mythological norse God for people and the first one that people think of is an American superhero who happens to bear the same name as said God.

FWIW, many people nowadays from my observation claim that tv shows are generally better than movies. Maybe it's because shows like Game of Thrones have very high budgets in comparison to shows made 20 years ago?

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Besides those, most movies these days are remakes or sequels to old movies. Terminator, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, Indianna Jones 4, Rambo 4, two new Rocky movies, the 2001 Planet of the Apes movie, the Star Wars prequels, all got remakes/sequels in the 2000's to classic movies. Most of these have been lackluster outside the Rocky Films, Rambo and Mad Max Fury Road.

There's been some new Mission Impossible movies too, those have been mostly good.

Prowler
03-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Besides those, most movies these days are remakes or sequels to old movies. Terminator, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, Indianna Jones 4, Rambo 4, two new Rocky movies, the 2001 Planet of the Apes movie, the Star Wars prequels, all got remakes/sequels in the 2000's to classic movies. Most of these have been lackluster outside the Rocky Films, Rambo and Mad Max Fury Road.

There's been some new Mission Impossible movies too, those have been mostly good.
To this day I have only seen the first ever Terminator movie. Same goes for Rocky.
I watched the original Planet of the Apes movie when I was a kid... then again there's lots of remakes/versions of that movie aren't there? I can think of at least a couple.

Star Wars... the Phantom Menace left a bad teste in my mouth and Attack of the Clones was boring as hell. My family rented that movie... first time ever we didn't finish a movie we rented.

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 10:25 PM
Watch all the classic versions of the movies. The modern ones are never as good, the only exceptions being the Planet of the Apes films, the Rocky films, Mad Max Fury Road, and maybe Terminator 3.

Prowler
03-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Watch all the classic versions of the movies. The modern ones are never as good, the only exceptions being the Planet of the Apes films, the Rocky films, Mad Max Fury Road, and maybe Terminator 3.
Dude I watched the original SW trilogy several times when I was a kid. But have no interest in re-watching those movies nowadays. They're OK for what they are but meh.

WebLurker
03-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Really? The 2000's is when movie companies started "playing it safe" and also started running out of ideas, that's why there are now so many remakes or sequels/prequels to old classic movies. Outside of the huge explosion of comic book movies (which are based on already established franchises), there haven't been many breakout new movies in the 2000's.

Sequels have always been a thing. Superhero movies were also a thing a while back (albeit not quite as prevalent as today). There's

Think of all the biggest movies of the last 16 years, the bulk of them are either comic book movies, sequels or remakes of old movies, or based on popular books like Harry Potter, etc.

That doesn't describe the bulk of Pixar's work (for example Inside Out) or Zootopia; both were really big, original ideas and made within the last 16 years.

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 10:53 PM
Dude I watched the original SW trilogy several times when I was a kid. But have no interest in re-watching those movies nowadays. They're OK for what they are but meh.

The original Star Wars films are the most rewatchable films in existence besides Back to the Future, etc. People rewatch those films hundreds of times. They never get old.

Prowler
03-07-2017, 10:57 PM
The original Star Wars films are the most rewatchable films in existence besides Back to the Future, etc. People rewatch those films hundreds of times. They never get old.
Good for them but I'm not "people". I'm just an individual. And not every single individual on Earth feels the same way regarding a particular movie franchise.

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 11:05 PM
They're great movies and I rewatch them every couple of years. I'm surprised, nearly everyone who likes action/sci-fi loves Star Wars.

Prowler
03-07-2017, 11:07 PM
They're great movies and I rewatch them every couple of years. I'm surprised, nearly everyone who likes action/sci-fi loves Star Wars.
Liking one genre doesn't mean liking every piece of work of said genre. Also, "action" is a very broad genre. It's basically used for anything with fighting in it.

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 11:14 PM
And these are movies that are incredibly popular and spawned a huge franchise that went on for 40 years. I can understand not liking the prequels or the newer movies, but the originals are classic.

They're good and fun action, campy fun, with likeable characters and good villains.

Prowler
03-07-2017, 11:20 PM
And these are movies that are incredibly popular and spawned a huge franchise that went on for 40 years. I can understand not liking the prequels or the newer movies, but the originals are classic.

They're good and fun action, campy fun, with likeable characters and good villains.
It's not that I don't like them. I just don't particularly care about them nowadays. I didn't bother watching Episode 7 either.

I've watched the original trilogy more than once back in the day but haven't watched a SW movie in over a decade by now, I think.

WebLurker
03-07-2017, 11:21 PM
Good for them but I'm not "people". I'm just an individual. And not every single individual on Earth feels the same way regarding a particular movie franchise.

That's very fair. I like Spider-Man 3 a lot and thought the X-Men movies Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine were okay, despite all three not being held in high esteem by the people in general.

Conversely, Gone With the Wind is considered one of the greatest movies of all time, and I find that one to be very awful.

There's always variations in tastes. For example, some people like the prequels, others don't.

Prowler
03-07-2017, 11:23 PM
A movie well liked by many is Lost in Translation... but I just found it boring, honestly.

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 11:27 PM
If you haven't watched the Star Wars movies since you were a kid how do you know you still feel the same way about them? Those are movies you appreciate far more as an adult.

Prowler
03-07-2017, 11:32 PM
If you haven't watched the Star Wars movies since you were a kid how do you know you still feel the same way about them? Those are movies you appreciate far more as an adult.
I liked them for what they were but never really loved them as opposed to loving The Lord of the Rings or even Space Jam and the first Toy Story film.

I just have never felt like watching them again ever. No reason in particular.

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 11:34 PM
There's not many other action movies that hold up as well, especially considering they're like 40 years old now.

Prowler
03-07-2017, 11:36 PM
There's not many other action movies that hold up as well, especially considering they're like 40 years old now.
Yeah, I get it already.

CyberCubed
03-07-2017, 11:36 PM
I'm just sayin, they're fun movies.

Wesley
03-08-2017, 09:49 AM

Agreed. I liked watching the Alien, Die Hard and Predator franchises when I was younger, but I watched them for the first time in years recently and I didn't think much of them, to be honest. They weren't as good as I remembered them.

kaptainmyke
03-08-2017, 11:01 AM
I looked up Quentin Tarantino's Film Festival he used to run for a few years...this helps him to "educate" people where/what his "influences and inspirations" stem from and suggests other great films of the craft....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Tarantino_Film_Festival

and then,
I bought the 42nd Street Forever blu ray

My movie collection grew substantially and there is some realllllly good gems in there.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 11:30 AM

Star Wars. Heh.

Liked it as a kid, rewatched the original trilogy a couple of years ago and could barely get through it. Ugh.

CyberCubed
03-08-2017, 12:16 PM
What do you mean you could barely get through it? I'm kinda wondering what exactly it is you're complaining about.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 12:36 PM
What do you mean you could barely get through it? I'm kinda wondering what exactly it is you're complaining about.

I mean I hated them. Luke, Leia, the droids... couldn't stand those characters. Han and Chewie were great, Vader was great... and let's not even discuss the Return of the Jedi. Stormtroopers should have massacred the Ewoks. Ewok Genocide should've been a thing.

CyberCubed
03-08-2017, 12:45 PM
You hate Luke and Leia, really? What is there to hate about them? Luke is the typical hero who starts off a bit bland but then becomes endearing and has a bit of a temper and works to save his friends.

Leia was a feminist role model, especially when you realize the first movie came out in '78 and she wasn't just a damsel in distress but could also hold her own and fought with Luke/Han. She also has some very funny lines.

I mean what do you want out of characters then? And C-3P0 is just the typical comic relief character.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 12:56 PM
You hate Luke and Leia, really? What is there to hate about them? Luke is the typical hero who starts off a bit bland but then becomes endearing and has a bit of a temper and works to save his friends.

Leia was a feminist role model, especially when you realize the first movie came out in '78 and she wasn't just a damsel in distress but could also hold her own and fought with Luke/Han. She also has some very funny lines.

I mean what do you want out of characters then? And C-3P0 is just the typical comic relief character.

Strokes for folks, man.

I don't remember specifics... I just remember not liking them. But I'm gonna disagree that Leia wasn't a damsel in distress. She never got much to sink her teeth into...

A damsel in distress with teeth, but quite often, a damsel in distress. Also, nerdtastic golden bikini.

ToTheNines
03-08-2017, 01:23 PM
It's not often that I agree with cubed, but yeah... people who don't like Star Wars weird me out.

But I'm not gonna make 18 consecutive posts about it either.

Stormtroopers should have massacred the Ewoks. Ewok Genocide should've been a thing.

Well, Ewoks/Endor should have been Wookies/Kashyyyk. Problem solved. Thanks George.

A damsel in distress with teeth, but quite often, a damsel in distress. Also, nerdtastic golden bikini.

People always harp on the metal bikini. It wasn't even 5 minutes of screen time. That pales in comparison to her practical garb in every other scene.

Plus she'd been enslaved by a space slug. Who she asphyxiated with the very chains he bound her with. Then they blew him up. That's badass.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 01:43 PM
It's not often that I agree with cubed, but yeah... people who don't like Star Wars weird me out.

Well, Ewoks/Endor should have been Wookies/Kashyyyk. Problem solved. Thanks George.

People always harp on the metal bikini. It wasn't even 5 minutes of screen time. That pales in comparison to her practical garb in every other scene.

Plus she'd been enslaved by a space slug. Who she asphyxiated with the very chains he bound her with. Then they blew him up. That's badass.

Yeah, Wookies would've been awesome. I like the idea of Star Wars, I just don't care for how parts of the original trilogy were executed. It's fine, it's just not great.

I think the Expanded Universe novels probably does Star Wars best, but that's an assumption on my part; being able to build off the foundation of Wars and go crazy with it.

So I respect the franchise, and my kids WILL watch the trilogy, but I don't enjoy it.

And the bikini stuff makes sense, just like you said; I just wanted to see what Cubed had to say about it. :trazz:

Shark_Blade
03-08-2017, 01:46 PM

You're joking right? Those films feel as old as yo grandma's tits.

So many of their props, clothing, hair styles and film quality feel so dated and ancient. This goes to all other great classics like Psycho, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sound of Music, etc. They're still enjoyable despite being dated though. I only watch it for the aesthetics.

WebLurker
03-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Why are we ragging on people not liking Star Wars? I personally love it, but we all process stuff differently. People like what they like and don't what they don't. And since the end point of a movie is for the enjoyment of the viewers, why convince them otherwise if they don't get anything out of it, esp. if they're being polite about it?

THGhost
03-08-2017, 02:23 PM

Same.

Why are we ragging on people not liking Star Wars? I personally love it, but we all process stuff differently. People like what they like and don't what they don't. And since the end point of a movie is for the enjoyment of the viewers, why convince them otherwise if they don't get anything out of it, esp. if they're being polite about it?

Hear Hear.

Do you think we should maybe talk about other movies besides Star Wars now? :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Same.

Hear Hear.

Do you think we should maybe talk about other movies besides Star Wars now? :lol:

No. I'm not done weirding you norms out. :trazz:

CyberCubed
03-08-2017, 02:46 PM
You're joking right? Those films feel as old as yo grandma's tits.

So many of their props, clothing, hair styles and film quality feel so dated and ancient. This goes to all other great classics like Psycho, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sound of Music, etc. They're still enjoyable despite being dated though. I only watch it for the aesthetics.

What on earth? :lol:

The props, costumes and sets of the original films still hold up today and are much better than the CG mess that plagued the prequels or even the modern movies. The special editions also improved some of CG effects of the originals like Bespin and the X-wing fights.

Prowler
03-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Strokes for folks, man.

I don't remember specifics... I just remember not liking them. But I'm gonna disagree that Leia wasn't a damsel in distress. She never got much to sink her teeth into...

That's one thing I've never liked about CyberCubed. When someone doesn't like or care about something he likrs a lot, he can't just let it go and thinks that telling people a billion times that said something is pretty good is gonna make them feel bad about not liking it and thus change their minds. That and him putting strong emphasis on the "being critically acclaimed" and "being popular". Seems like everything Cubed likes fits those criteria, by the looks of things...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 03:59 PM
That's one thing I've never liked about CyberCubed. When someone doesn't like or care about something he likrs a lot, he can't just let it go and thinks that telling people a billion times that said something is pretty good is gonna make them feel bad about not liking it and thus change their minds. That and him putting strong emphasis on the "being critically acclaimed" and "being popular". Seems like everything Cubed likes fits those criteria, by the looks of things...

Eh, it doesn't usually bother me. I mean, it IS Star Wars. :tlol:

CyberCubed
03-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Some things are just very popular. I'm just curious when I see people don't like generally well received things.

DestronMirage22
03-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Some things are just very popular. I'm just curious when I see people don't like generally well received things.

It certainly doesn't come off as curiosity...

CyberCubed
03-08-2017, 05:31 PM
I just want to understand what the other person is thinking, so I ask them questions when they bring up what they don't like, especially if its about a specific thing. For people who don't like sci-fi or action movies in general I can understand, but if you're a fan of the genre it's just odd to me.

Most adult men tend to gravitate toward the same shows and movies.

THGhost
03-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Here's one for you then, Cubed - I'm a huge fan of sci-fi (Star Wars, Alien, Ghost in the Shell, 2001, The Matrix, etc), but I can't stand Blade Runner. :toops:

CyberCubed
03-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Man, that is just odd. Blade Runner is fantastic. The whole tone, setting and vibe of the movie is near perfection. Set in the near future with all Asian neo-punk film-noir vibes, Harrison Ford is fantastic, and the scenes with all the replicants are amazing.

The final scenes with Harrison Ford and the male replicant chasing him throughout the building and rooftops is fantastic, especially with his howling and him shutting down himself rather than Harrison Ford killing him. One of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time.

I doubt the new one coming this year will be even half as good.

Powder
03-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Harrison Ford sucked in that movie. It's wildly overrated in the first place. It's aesthetically awesome, but on a whole, not very good.

CyberCubed
03-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Harrison Ford sucked in that movie. It's wildly overrated in the first place. It's aesthetically awesome, but on a whole, not very good.

Harrison Ford essentially plays himself in every movie outside of Star Wars/Indianna Jones. Seriously, watch Air Force One, The Fugitive, The Witness, Patriot Games, Working Girl, etc. He acts exactly the same in every movie which I assume is essentially his real life personality.

The only time you see Harrison Ford actually act as a character is as Han Solo and Indie. Every other movie you're just seeing Ford as a cop, lawyer, doctor, president of the United States, Blade runner, etc.....but he has the same personality in all of them.

THGhost
03-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Man, that is just odd. Blade Runner is fantastic. The whole tone, setting and vibe of the movie is near perfection. Set in the near future with all Asian neo-punk film-noir vibes, Harrison Ford is fantastic, and the scenes with all the replicants are amazing.

The final scenes with Harrison Ford and the male replicant chasing him throughout the building and rooftops is fantastic, especially with his howling and him shutting down himself rather than Harrison Ford killing him. One of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time.

I doubt the new one coming this year will be even half as good.

I just found it too slow and boring. It was also "The Final Cut" which a lot of people deem as the best version, and I still didn't like it.

It's beautiful to look at and I appreciate what it did for the future of sci-fi, but it just wasn't very good like you say, Powder.

Overrated it definitely the word and I would use. I've seen/heard others say that too, so I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so.

myconius
03-08-2017, 09:27 PM

you need to stop whatever you are doing right now and watch BOTH of those films immediately!! :lol:

THGhost
03-08-2017, 09:29 PM

you need to stop whatever you are doing right now and watch BOTH of those films immediately!! :lol:

I do hope Cubed wasn't implying that he hasn't seen Pulp Fiction and/or Sin City. :lol:

WebLurker
03-08-2017, 11:25 PM
The only time you see Harrison Ford actually act as a character is as Han Solo and Indie. Every other movie you're just seeing Ford as a cop, lawyer, doctor, president of the United States, Blade runner, etc.....but he has the same personality in all of them.

I know of another exception; 42 (a movie based on Jackie Robinson's life). Ford plays Branch Rickey and went out of his way to play that character, not be a riff of his usual shtick.

Andrew NDB
03-08-2017, 11:48 PM

Probably K19 the Widowmaker you can point to as him acting as a character, too.

CyberCubed
03-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Never seen that one, I may have to check it out.

Blade Runner was a slower paced movie based on ideals and concepts. I think people wrongly assumed it was an action movie going in and didn't know it was a slow paced movie. Every replicant fight in it deals with subliminal messages.

THGhost
03-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Never seen that one, I may have to check it out.

Blade Runner was a slower paced movie based on ideals and concepts. I think people wrongly assumed it was an action movie going in and didn't know it was a slow paced movie. Every replicant fight in it deals with subliminal messages.

No wonder I didn't like it. :roll:

THGhost
03-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Now answer this question, Cubed. Have you seen Pulp Fiction and/or Sin City?

CyberCubed
03-13-2017, 02:59 AM
I've seen them but fairly recently as in only a few years ago. It's kind of funny Bruce Willis is in both, even though they were made a decade apart by different directors.

kaptainmyke
03-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Did anybody even read my post (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showpost.php?p=1666160&postcount=53)back on page 3? :roll:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Did anybody even read my post (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showpost.php?p=1666160&postcount=53)back on page 3? :roll:

Apparently not!

THGhost
03-15-2017, 09:50 PM
I've seen them but fairly recently as in only a few years ago. It's kind of funny Bruce Willis is in both, even though they were made a decade apart by different directors.

What did you think of them?

I did!

Cryomancer
03-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Another good way is to watch movies about movies, like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Boogaloo:_The_Wild,_Untold_Story_of_Canno n_Films

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Quite_Hollywood:_The_Wild,_Untold_Story_of_Ozp loitation!

If you don't come out of those with like a dozen flicks you wanna see then I dunno what to tell you