PDA

View Full Version : DC Films willing to make a Rated R superhero movie

The Deadman
03-07-2017, 05:25 PM
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justice_league/dc-films-reportedly-open-to-making-an-r-rated-superhero-movie-a149457

Deadpool and Logan have proved that R-Rated superhero movies can work both critically and financially, and fans are now left to wonder which rival studio will now copy 20th Century Fox!

Well, it appears as if Warner Bros. will be among them as The Wrap reports that a "well-placed insider" at Warner Bros.' DC Films division has told them that when it comes to whether or not they'll make an R-Rated superhero movie, their answer is: "One hundred percent yes. With the right character(s)." That's not exactly a guarantee it will happen, of course, but it's easy to imagine a movie like Black Adam or Lobo heading in this direction given what little we know about them right now.

TurtleTitan97
03-07-2017, 05:31 PM
I'd be excited if not for the fact that their own film universe is a complete mess at the moment.

And whatever happen to the plan of making their films "lighter"? :roll:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-07-2017, 06:22 PM
DC/WB does nothing but follow the money. Of COURSE they're willing to make an R-rated superhero movie.

The only thing DC/WB ISN'T willing to do is to make a plan and stick with it.

Allio
03-07-2017, 06:40 PM
I'd be excited if not for the fact that their own film universe is a complete mess at the moment.

To me you either go light or you go batshit heavy

No I between

Jester
03-07-2017, 06:40 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/Jesterangelo/DC%20and%20Marvel.png

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-07-2017, 06:47 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/Jesterangelo/DC%20and%20Marvel.png

Except DC has more dirt and snot all over its messy little face.

ToTheNines
03-07-2017, 06:53 PM
And is wearing hotpants.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-07-2017, 06:55 PM
And is wearing hotpants.

Warner Bros' Little Monster

NinjaPug
03-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Ugh...the crap that passes as news these days. ****ing clickbait nonsense. It's almost like WB didn't release an R-rated version of a DC movie last year.

WebLurker
03-07-2017, 09:39 PM
What's with the obsession with R-rated superhero movies these days?

TurtleTitan97
03-07-2017, 09:47 PM

You mean aside from the fact of how successful Deadpool and Logan have proven to been? It's no wonder WB wants to jump on the bandwagon given the failure the DCEU has been so far.

DestronMirage22
03-07-2017, 10:20 PM
First their efforts were pathetic. Then they were sad. Then pathetic again. And now we're back to sad.

Powder
03-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Should've started with Suicide Squad.

WebLurker
03-07-2017, 11:10 PM
You mean aside from the fact of how successful Deadpool and Logan have proven to been? It's no wonder WB wants to jump on the bandwagon given the failure the DCEU has been so far.

It's also a far more limited audience. On top of that, allegedly, an R-rating was needed to do the characters justice. (Although I haven't seen Logan yet, I'd argue that The Wolverine disproves that, but your mileage may vary.

Krutch
03-08-2017, 06:29 AM
Ugh, God DC, stop embarrassing yourselves.

6 days after Deadpool's success: Wait for the Rated R Blu-Ray of Batman v Superman!!

6 days after Logan's success: We're totally game to make an R rated movie!!

ToTheNines
03-08-2017, 07:09 AM
That's their problem. They are totally afraid to take chances.

Between 1998 and 2007, Marvel (through various studios) made a lot of movies. Some sucked, some haven't aged well, but they took the opportunity to learn from their mistakes. What'd DC/WB make in that time period? One wretched Superman quasi-sequel and various Batstuff. And fuc*ing Catwoman.

Then the MCU happens. What does DC/WB do? Straight to a Justice League movie that dies in development hell, before their current Bat-trilogy is even over. False start on a shared universe with Green Lantern. Tepid start of a new shared universe with a mediocre Superman movie. It doesn't do gangbusters, so bring in Batman. Again.

ProactiveMan
03-08-2017, 07:47 AM
How come Fox is Marvel when it suits people and it isn't when it doesn't?

Allio
03-08-2017, 09:26 AM

Obsession? There is only 3

Coola Yagami
03-08-2017, 09:51 AM
How come Fox is Marvel when it suits people and it isn't when it doesn't?

Ask DC/WB?

Andrew NDB
03-08-2017, 10:10 AM

Yeah, huh? There's been like 2.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Yeah, huh? There's been like 2.

3 if we include Watchmen.

Allio
03-08-2017, 10:38 AM
3 if we include Watchmen.

4 including Kick ass 2

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 10:39 AM
4 including Kick ass 2

And Kick-Ass 1... and the Blade trilogy, and the original Daredevil...

Andrew NDB
03-08-2017, 10:42 AM
I tend to give it to Kick-Ass as the movie that kicked in the door on "modern," hard R-rated comic book movies. Watchmen didn't quite light the world on fire like Kick-Ass did. I don't know if even Deadpool would have happened had there not been an example like Kick-Ass to point to in terms of, "See? This sort of thing can work."

Allio
03-08-2017, 10:48 AM
If by "kicked" as in they were made and people didn't see it, sure

Jester
03-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Wait....Daredevil? We talking the Director's Cut?

Andrew NDB
03-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Original Daredevil was totally not R.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Wait....Daredevil? We talking the Director's Cut?

Original Daredevil was totally not R.

My bad, I didn't remember... I only ever saw the Director's Cut. Forgot theatrical was PG13.

And director/ultimate cuts don't count.

DestronMirage22
03-08-2017, 11:39 AM
My bad, I didn't remember... I only ever saw the Director's Cut. Forgot theatrical was PG13.

And director/ultimate cuts don't count.

Wait, so Ben Affleck has starred as the lead role in two bad PG-13 movies that later got R-rated cuts? Huh.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Wait, so Ben Affleck has starred as the lead role in two bad PG-13 movies that later got R-rated cuts? Huh.

:tlol:

Never thought of it that way.

Candy Kappa
03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
There's 3 Punisher movies, my memory is iffy if the second movie with Tom Jane is R rated. There's the 3 Blade movies, Kick-Ass 1 & 2, and Super. Deadpool, Watchmen, Darkman trilogy, The Toxic Avenger quadrilogy, I think Black Scorpion 1 & 2 are R rated, there's the Guyver movies.

Man-Thing may not be as superhero movie, but he is a superhero property and got a R rated movie. I haven't seen Wanted, but as far as I know they removed all the superhero and supervillain stuff, so I guess that one doesn't count. :lol:

The Killing Joke is R rated, isn't it?

ToTheNines
03-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Thomas Jane Punisher was PG13.

Candy Kappa
03-08-2017, 12:24 PM
right, could have googled it before making my post, but where's the fun in that.

Andrew NDB
03-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Thomas Jane Punisher was PG13.

It was R... but suspiciously light R. Super light R. Like they totally shot it as PG-13, got an R from the MPAA, and just sort of shrugged.

Shark_Blade
03-08-2017, 12:32 PM

We're tired of pussies that can't handle R rating that's what.

ToTheNines
03-08-2017, 12:40 PM
It was R... but suspiciously light R. Super light R. Like they totally shot it as PG-13, got an R from the MPAA, and just sort of shrugged.

Huh. I was 13 when it came out and vividly remember telling my Dad it was PG-13. I guess I was lying to him so he'd take me lol.

And yeah, I think there might have been some tits in a brief scene, but literally nothing else about it deserves an R rating.

Candy Kappa
03-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Don't we see The Russian's neck all twisted post-battle? maybe that gave it a R, or a cuss word too many :lol:

Andrew NDB
03-08-2017, 12:52 PM
I hope the PG-13 "Ghost in the Shell" crashes and burns spectacularly. That movie has no business sanitizing itself for 13 year-olds.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-08-2017, 01:10 PM
I hope the PG-13 "Ghost in the Shell" crashes and burns spectacularly. That movie has no business sanitizing itself for 13 year-olds.

I'd say it will probably do as well as "Lucy", or slightly better because Manga. Or slightly worse because Manga...

myconius
03-08-2017, 02:02 PM

what? Ghost in the Shell is PG-13 ???? .......crap!!! :tgrumble:

they really are quite clueless as to WHAT they want to do!

it's like watching a dog chase it's own tail.

Turo602
03-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Don't we see The Russian's neck all twisted post-battle? maybe that gave it a R, or a cuss word too many :lol:

There were tits in the movie.

DestronMirage22
03-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Here here. If the source material isn't like that, why should a movie based of it even be made that way?

TheSkeletonMan939
03-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Here here. If the source material isn't like that, why should a movie based of it even be made that way?

Which rating do you think has the potential to rake in more cash?

TigerClaw
03-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Actually the original anime was PG-13, and I own it on VHS.

TurtleTitan97
03-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Actually the original anime was PG-13

False. It's rated R: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghost_in_the_shell/

DestronMirage22
03-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Which rating do you think has the potential to rake in more cash?

I guess that a PG-13 rating would reach a wider audience, and in turn generate more revenue, but why should that matter? If they're gonna make a film based off an already established property, they should try to stay as true to the source material as much as they can, no matter the rating. Then, the loyal fanbase will want to see the film and spend more money on it. That's how they should go about this, and not try to make it for everyone, trying to rake in as much cash as possible. That just cheapens the product.

Andrew NDB
03-08-2017, 10:16 PM
I guess that a PG-13 rating would reach a wider audience, and in turn generate more revenue, but why should that matter? If they're gonna make a film based off an already established property, they should try to stay as true to the source material as much as they can, no matter the rating. Then, the loyal fanbase will want to see the film and spend more money on it. That's how they should go about this, and not try to make it for everyone, trying to rake in as much cash as possible. That just cheapens the product.

And that's an established property with a built-in franchise. R-rated, somewhat similar movies like the Matrix come out, they make gangbusters. That they feel the need to make Ghost in the Shell PG-13 either speaks to them having no confidence in their final product (making it the way it clearly was intended to be made) or simply wanting an extra buck... neither one of these things should be rewarded.