PDA

View Full Version : Are TMNT fans rude? Or is perception skewed?

***First of Two Latin Kings***
03-12-2017, 01:09 PM
I've noticed from interacting with people here as well as on other boards that TMNT fans are rude. But are they more rude than the general population? I don't really belong to or participate in forums or mailing lists for anything else, so it could be that all groups of people are rude, and I shouldn't necessarily be racist against my own fandom.

Thoughts? Discuss.:twink:

ToTheNines
03-12-2017, 01:21 PM
People on the internet are dicks. Film at 11.

WebLurker
03-12-2017, 01:25 PM
I think all forums have their mix, although I will concede this forum is one of the ruder ones I frequent.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-12-2017, 01:35 PM
What the fvck kinda question is that? Like hell we're rude!

Candy Kappa
03-12-2017, 01:42 PM
We are a bunch of cynical assholes.

CyberCubed
03-12-2017, 01:44 PM
It's basically because this forum is a lot smaller than other forums, so people basically read the same posts from the same group of people over and over again. Since it's the same people posting over and over again, those opinions feel like they skew the overall forums.

People don't realize this forum is very small. There are maybe 50 active users in this place at most, and only roughly half of that post frequently. Then there are some people who just post rarely like once a month or so and then disappear without a trace.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-12-2017, 01:51 PM
What the fvck kinda question is that? Like hell we're rude!

I lol'ed at this! You're such a card, Cy.

Powder
03-12-2017, 02:29 PM
A sizable chunk of TMNT fans are assholes, yeah. I'm no exception. There's a lot of My Version Is Better Than Your Version in our fandom, I think that causes the bulk of the tension.

But most fandoms have in-fighting. It takes a certain kinda person to obsess over fictional works, which is to say we're all probably a little "off" in one way or another. Some more than others.

I don't think we're nearly as bad as non/former members paint us to be, though. Part of our reputation is fault of a vocal minority who came here & were shown the door for being either an idiot or a jerk, & then hopped over to TMNT fan-pages on Facebook to cry about how awful we are. :trolleye: :tlol:

Andrew NDB
03-12-2017, 02:34 PM
It's true, TMNT fans are horrid.

IndigoErth
03-12-2017, 02:52 PM
I've seen worse. Mostly just seems like a bunch of snarky old farts (and youngsters that aspire to be) in comparison. Those that have seemed genuinely mean have been few, imo.

Andrew NDB
03-12-2017, 03:27 PM
It's not really indicative of age. The fans have been horrible even since I was a kid. At least nowadays there's far less % that actively fantasize about having sex with the Turtles.

MikeandRaph87
03-12-2017, 03:33 PM
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5680a7711c1210eb4f6bfa34/t/568e39bd40667a4dbfc54dac/1452161471310/

BubblyShell22
03-12-2017, 03:35 PM
There are rude people everywhere on the Internet and that doesn't just apply to TMNT I'm sure. Everyone is an a**hole at times and we should just embrace it like my sig says.

Ninjinister
03-12-2017, 03:38 PM
I'd say probably no more than any other fan base, and in actuality probably less than some. I've never seen a grown man cry or scream when someone has told him that they don't care about Ninja Turtles.

A sizable chunk of TMNT fans are assholes, yeah. I'm no exception.
You've gotten better though! :)

It takes a certain kinda person to obsess over fictional works, which is to say we're all probably a little "off" in one way or another. Some more than others.

I've gotten crap for, and a lot of it here, not obsessing enough. I'm like "it's fiction, it's fun, it's entertaining, but it's not integrally important". And then I get the "you're not a real fan" BS.

I don't think we're nearly as bad as non/former members paint us to be, though. Part of our reputation is fault of a vocal minority who came here & were shown the door for being either an idiot or a jerk, & then hopped over to TMNT fan-pages on Facebook to cry about how awful we are.

Few people are less bothersome than those who break the rules and then play the victim when they're reprimanded.

03-12-2017, 03:56 PM
You said the same thing I was going to say. I'd like to think I've grown up some since I joined Andrew's old mailing list [NTML] ten years ago. I originally became active here because I was banned from an even smaller forum where people were even bigger assholes. The owner of those boards has held a grudge against me to this day (since my early twenties, for over ten years) and refuses to be civil even though we share one of the same best friends.

It could also be that I see the worst in TMNT fans because I deal with buying and selling whereas a fan who doesn't deal with that angle of the fandom doesn't have that Pandora's Box to deal with as well. I occasionally have problems with people here, but for the most part, the most snobbish, elitist, self-absorbed self-entitled f**** I deal with are on eBay. I won't deny that I think most of you are assholes, but most of you are also respectful and reasonable people in a one on one context.

IndigoErth
03-12-2017, 04:12 PM
It's not really indicative of age. The fans have been horrible even since I was a kid. At least nowadays there's far less % that actively fantasize about having sex with the Turtles.
How many kids were even fantasizing that?? I don't recall it being a thing long ago. o.O (Unless this is something that happened during my long hiatus, and less long ago.)

Andrew NDB
03-12-2017, 04:26 PM
You said the same thing I was going to say. I'd like to think I've grown up some since I joined Andrew's old mailing list [NTML] ten years ago. I originally became active here because I was banned from an even smaller forum where people were even bigger assholes.

Was it TMNT-L? Do people still go there?

How many kids were even fantasizing that?? I don't recall it being a thing long ago. o.O (Unless this is something that happened during my long hiatus, and less long ago.)

Tons. It was everywhere.

CyberCubed
03-12-2017, 04:28 PM
I think people fail to understand that a lot of people also have mental disabilities in real life like ADD or bipolar disorder, or are diagnosed with autism or aspergers, and they get frustrated on forums sometimes when people have conflicting opinions.

It's a well know fact most people on line forums are diagnosed with some sort of disability in real life.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-12-2017, 04:31 PM
I try to be the best TMNT fan that I can be, and make sure to be rude to you assholes as often as possible. :tgrin:

ToTheNines
03-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Most of the real assholes are banned/moved on. We really only have a couple of pesky trolls, and they're not out of control or anything.

A sizable chunk of TMNT fans are assholes, yeah. I'm no exception. There's a lot of My Version Is Better Than Your Version in our fandom, I think that causes the bulk of the tension.

Yeah, the fact that this is a catch-all TMNT is part of it. You're like me, in that you enjoy most of the different iterations for what they are, so it's cool that this isn't just a Mirage/Fred Wolf/Nick board. But when people get uppity about their favorite version, it's annoying no matter what side they're on.

Unless they're hating on Bayturtles, then it's fair game. A cynical, hollow, kick in the crotch to TMNT.

But it's funny when I go to, say, a Marvel Cinematic Universe board. That's all people talk about. There's no clowns raging on about how the comics are SO much better, or how Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends is the true version of Marvel lol.

They don't come here, but they're still out there.

I pulled up an episode of the Nick cartoon on youtube today to reference some dialogue, quicker than putting the dvd in. I found the comments to be littered with people fighting over Leo, fawning over Donnie, etc.

DestronMirage22
03-12-2017, 04:55 PM
I've never met another TMNT fan IRL, so I can't comment on that regards. Most of the people here though, they're all right.

CyberCubed
03-12-2017, 04:57 PM
A lot of you don't know about the Nick TMNT fandom on tumblr. It's mostly comprised of young teens who are brand new to the franchise and the Nick cartoon is their first exposure to TMNT. It's pretty funny to see how they view the series and how much they like each Turtle, etc.

Some of them eventually went back to watch the 2k3 series or original toon too.

TigerClaw
03-12-2017, 05:21 PM
I try to distance myself from fandom in general, cause most of them are just cynical, and complain about really mundane things, I'm just happy that my favorite franchises are relevant again.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-12-2017, 05:41 PM

It really isn't all that unusual, though. People (of all ages) will crush on or fantasize about their favorite fictional characters no matter WHAT medium or the character in question happens to be. You should see some of the Drizzt fangirls in Forgotten Realms fandom....

Tons. It was everywhere.

You mean IS. Deviant Art, Stealthy Stories, and Inkbunny are all still popular places for that sort of thing. Most of the ones who go for that have been run off of here, however. A shame, too. Most of them are nice folks and pretty even-tempered and understanding.

Most of the real assholes are banned/moved on. We really only have a couple of pesky trolls, and they're not out of control or anything.

Yeah, the fact that this is a catch-all TMNT is part of it. You're like me, in that you enjoy most of the different iterations for what they are, so it's cool that this isn't just a Mirage/Fred Wolf/Nick board. But when people get uppity about their favorite version, it's annoying no matter what side they're on.

Unless they're hating on Bayturtles, then it's fair game. A cynical, hollow, kick in the crotch to TMNT.

But it's funny when I go to, say, a Marvel Cinematic Universe board. That's all people talk about. There's no clowns raging on about how the comics are SO much better, or how Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends is the true version of Marvel lol.

They don't come here, but they're still out there.

I pulled up an episode of the Nick cartoon on youtube today to reference some dialogue, quicker than putting the dvd in. I found the comments to be littered with people fighting over Leo, fawning over Donnie, etc.

Nothing wrong with that. As for Marvel, they used to have an entire forum much like this one, but for some reason it got shunted off to another site, and eventually died completely. Back in the day, it had MUCH worse bickering and rudeness than this place ever THOUGHT of. Flame wars galore, I sh*t you not. And not enough Mods to keep up with it all, at times. I was one of them, but it sometimes seemed like even twenty of us(yes, twenty!) wasn't enough to keep the place friendly and free of trolls and a**holes.

Ninjinister
03-12-2017, 05:42 PM
I think people fail to understand that a lot of people also have mental disabilities in real life like ADD or bipolar disorder, or are diagnosed with autism or aspergers, and they get frustrated on forums sometimes when people have conflicting opinions.
Most of these people are still capable of handling themselves like f**king adults, though.

It's a well know fact most people on line forums are diagnosed with some sort of disability in real life.

I'm gonna need to see a peer-reviewed, publicly and professionally published research paper supporting this.

CyberCubed
03-12-2017, 05:48 PM
I'm gonna need to see a peer-reviewed, publicly and professionally published research paper supporting this.

You don't know about the negative stigma surrounding forum dwellers in any internet fandom? Maybe it's because I'm old, but in the early 2000's the more time you spent on the internet, the more of a "loser" you were considered to be. Instead of going outside and socializing in real life, people spent their times on the internet sheltered from the outside world.

It probably got even worse in today's day and age because of social media sites.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-12-2017, 06:14 PM
That has nothing to do with mental disabilities or psychological conditions, though. When the Net first started, the only people ON it were mostly "geeks, nerds, and eggheads", because they were the ones most likely to understand how to use it. As time went on, however, more and more people realized what a useful and powerful tool it could be in business, personal, and creative uses, so it has exploded into something EVERYONE now uses. But being a "loser has nothing to do with that, as virtually EVERYONE is now glued to their phones and tablets these days.

CyberCubed
03-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Really? The whole "computer nerds" and "geeks" started because of the internet and online forums. Do none of you remember this who were online in the early 2000's?

I always used to hear things like, "Get off the internet and into the real world," or "People on the internet are losers or sick people with no lives, etc"

They were publically humiliated and ostracized from normal society. They were looked down upon by the masses. I remember it vividly when I was a young lad in the early 2000's. I was only 13 years old back then, and I remember it to this day.

Ninjinister
03-12-2017, 06:35 PM
You don't know about the negative stigma surrounding forum dwellers in any internet fandom? Maybe it's because I'm old, but in the early 2000's the more time you spent on the internet, the more of a "loser" you were considered to be. Instead of going outside and socializing in real life, people spent their times on the internet sheltered from the outside world.

It probably got even worse in today's day and age because of social media sites.

None of this has to do with what was just said.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-12-2017, 06:39 PM
No, Cubed, it was basically the opposite. Computer nerds were around long before there WAS an internet- they were the ones building/programming them! And yes, they WERE ostracized- because they were already considered "weird"/geeks, losers with no life (or just too smart- aka eggheads- by "normal" people) and they were the ones who spent their time working on computers; programming them, creating networks, and such. I grew up IN that time period, when schools first began to teach computer literacy classes (this included BASIC operating program and ACAD, BTW) and showing kids how to use and make simple programs. It was a way to get more kids used to the idea of using computers (and later the Net) as a TOOL. Something they didn't need to be afraid of for lack of understanding.

Seriously, while most "geeks" WERE shunned back in the early days of the Net, it was because they were ALREADY social pariahs due to their interests in science and technology, NOT because of the time they spent on the Net. That came later. Now there are so many people on it that it just seems commonplace. But people have ALWAYS told "nerds" to "get out and get a life" even before there WAS an internet! (I should know, I was considered a nerd/geek all through school, due to being smart and being in advanced English and History courses through most of school. Also being a bookworm, in Latin Club and playing chess, among other things.)

Cyndaquilfan123
03-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Well, let's put it this way. TMNT fans aren't the worst or most rude people I've encountered, but you all get way too worked up over the most pointless things. The Bay movies for example. When those get brought up, it's like the Battle of Gettysburg around here, and sometimes the Nick toon threads get pretty heated too. But really, It's just a common trait of all the fans of different franchises.

plastroncafe
03-12-2017, 07:03 PM

It's adorable that you think this.

Well, let's put it this way. TMNT fans aren't the worst or most rude people I've encountered, but you all get way too worked up over the most pointless things. The Bay movies for example. When those get brought up, it's like the Battle of Gettysburg around here, and sometimes the Nick toon threads get pretty heated too. But really, It's just a common trait of all the fans of different franchises.

Troll on, you crazy diamond.

TigerClaw
03-12-2017, 07:05 PM
I don't think the TMNT fan base is bad at all, But you know the one fanbase that is the most bad, and the most rude? The Star Wars fan base, the way they bashed and vilified the creator was uncalled for, and makes fandom look bad in general.

Cyndaquilfan123
03-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Troll on, you crazy diamond.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. I'm a keeper of the peace.

ToTheNines
03-12-2017, 07:23 PM
I don't think the TMNT fan base is bad at all, But you know the one fanbase that is the most bad, and the most rude? The Star Wars fan base, the way they bashed and vilified the creator was uncalled for, and makes fandom look bad in general.

I'm inclined to agree with this, but only because I believe George literally lost his mind at some point in the 90's.

I say this as someone enjoys the prequels, overall.

CyberCubed
03-12-2017, 07:46 PM
The Star Wars and Star Trek fanbases used to be considered the most bad for years, then anime fans came and took over as the most crazy and insane fans. It's because of anime fans that nobody talks about "Trekkies" anymore.

Now it's all anime waifu's and anime nerds that are the new nerdy people.

03-12-2017, 07:52 PM

I started out on NTML where you were owner. I pissed off quite a few of the ladies there but you rarely seemed to care what I said or did.

I moved on to an actual disussion board set up like this one. VERY small community. Very sensitive people too who could get worked over nothing. When there were problems on this board, the staff on that board PURPOSEFULLY started a thread to gossip and badmouth Krang/Technodrome forums. When Krang found out, he created a membership and politely asked this other forums' staff not to revel in or publicly discuss the difficulties that were being had here at the time. The owner of those boards basically said "f*** you, don't come here telling me to run my boards."

Scary to think there are even more dysfunctional sub-families than this one.

Edit: It wasn't TMNT-L. Only drama there I ever knew about was one girl selling off a bunch of stuff another girl had given her. They'd been friends, but the girl doing the giving of the gifts had become obsessed with her and started stalking her. So she was selling off all of the merch that was a reminder of that friendship gone awry.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-12-2017, 08:03 PM
You quoted me in your sig? Aww, I'm flattered! And incidentally, the people I was referring to are aliena, SleepingSeeker, and a few others. All really cool posters.

TigerClaw
03-12-2017, 08:05 PM
I'm inclined to agree with this, but only because I believe George literally lost his mind at some point in the 90's.

I say this as someone enjoys the prequels, overall.
But George doesn't deserve all the hate he's gotten since the prequels, I also enjoyed the prequels, George Lucas made the movies he wanted to make, and as the creator, He can do whatever he wants with his own properties.

Cyndaquilfan123
03-12-2017, 09:48 PM
But George doesn't deserve all the hate he's gotten since the prequels, I also enjoyed the prequels, George Lucas made the movies he wanted to make, and as the creator, He can do whatever he wants with his own properties.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Wildcat
03-12-2017, 11:57 PM
If you think it's just TMNT fans you haven't been on many forums. Groups all over the internet, not necessarily over a fandom, have stuckup users who think they're smarter than you...and let you know it.

I'm not talking about trolls either. That's pretty easy to differentiate. I mean users who will "run their mouth" and whole heartedly believe everything they say is right about the given subject no matter how cocky, cynical or rude.

It's funny when you think about these users. Do they carry themselves the same way in real life? I highly doubt it. The internet just allows them to talk-a-big-game.

That's why I never troll, talk crap or run my mouth on any forum. Eventually you will get into a heated discussion and your reputation will always precede you. Why be a jerk anyway? Just because you can?

ssjup81
03-13-2017, 03:31 AM

It's a well know fact most people on line forums are diagnosed with some sort of disability in real life.*checks medical records*

Nope, no disabilities here, unless being diabetic counts. So where is your so-called research on this?

CyberCubed
03-13-2017, 03:55 AM
Aspergers and autism is pretty common among online communities. Not saying everyone has it obviously, but a lot are on the spectrum.

Ceres
03-13-2017, 04:03 AM
If you think TMNT Fandom is bad then go to the Steven Universe or Adventure Time Fandom, you will see the greatest bigots and entitled brats. The first one much worse as the latter one.

Overall the TMNT Fandom is okay, can't say bad stuff about it, i was in many Fandoms before and it's one of the funniest i got to say. I think the title of this thread is funny in a way. :D

Ninjinister
03-13-2017, 04:37 AM
Aspergers and autism is pretty common among online communities. Not saying everyone has it obviously, but a lot are on the spectrum.

Self-diagnosed, maybe. Which means jack sh*t.

My quarrel is mostly with you calling it a "well know (sic) fact" without providing anything to back that up.

Krutch
03-13-2017, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't say we're rude.

TMNT is just one of those few properties with complete extremes within their own history, so with that brings two very different types of fans, each believing their correct.

It's the circle of life down here :roll:

03-13-2017, 07:22 AM
You quoted me in your sig? Aww, I'm flattered! And incidentally, the people I was referring to are aliena, SleepingSeeker, and a few others. All really cool posters.

At the time it struck me as hilarious but I guess it is kind of sad in a way. If "mutanimals" did exist and were as humanoid as we are (I say humanoid because we DID come from apes and apes are animals), and those "mutanimals" wanted to have romantic relationships with people, and vice versa, and both parties were condemned for that, it would be like condemning gay people or interracial couples today. So it is sad that people would get run off for being attracted to entities that don't even exist. I guess fear runs deep even in liberal communities.

Was this the fan forum that Jarrah White got banned from? I admired his tenacity as a self-proclaimed Mei Pei Chi fetishist.

ProactiveMan
03-13-2017, 09:21 AM
I don't think TMNT fans are ruder than any other fan-base on average. There are a lot of arguments around here sure, but at least people are expressing different opinions. There are a lot of communities where everyone is in total lockstep, and any descent is either ignored or weeded out. That scares the poop out of me.

Prowler
03-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Are people who are saying ITT that this is the rudest place they've ever been to serious? Not that I doubt your words but I really wodner what your internet experience is like. You must have been very lucky in the communities you've joined.

Honestly, this place is the most civil of all places I've been a member of. Go to any major video game, wrestling, football/soccer or anime/manga forum and the amount of rude jerks is way higher. Here people might be rude at times to each other but that's mostly out of personal issues and past grudges. In many other forums people will be dicks to you and show pride in their ignorance. Example, whenever CyberCubed says something regarding people who are different from him people here will just facepalm and call him out on it. If CyberCubed said those things on IGN or somewhere else he'd get a ton of likes and people agreeing with him instead.

CyberCubed
03-13-2017, 12:23 PM
If CyberCubed said those things on IGN or somewhere else he'd get a ton of likes and people agreeing with him instead.

Funny thing is that's exactly what happens.

03-13-2017, 12:25 PM
I wasn't talking specifically about this place when I created the thread. I was talking about TMNT fans in general. I rarely have problems with people on these boards compared to other places.

ABrown
03-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Actually, I find TMNT fans (this board no exception) to be among the nicest of any fanbase.

03-13-2017, 12:34 PM
Then there is something truly wrong with the world.

On eBay things have shifted. Only since the classic stuff has started coming out from Mega Bloks and NECA have I started having to deal with truly rude, arrogant, childish, entitled people on a regular basis.

People here have a tendency to treat each other like sh!t from time to time but I do still prefer the "handle it yourself" mentality that thrives here, whereas on other boards and mailing lists people cry to the moderators every time they get their feelings hurt.

CyberCubed
03-13-2017, 12:45 PM
That's because this board skews older, there are more 25-30+ year old adults on this forum than teens or kids. Most people here are from the original TMNT era so it's no surprise people here are so old.

Other places on the internet have far more young teens. So naturally teens will be far more angry/butt-hurt and get into arguments.

Kinda ironic because the TMNT fandom did have a lot of teen posters in the early 2000's, but we all grew up.

03-13-2017, 12:59 PM
At the risk of starting a war, this place did seem to start out as a boys' club (mostly in celebration of the comics and toys) whereas I started out posting to mailing lists and boards that had MUCH higher female populations. It took very little to get those hens riled up and squaking.

plastroncafe
03-13-2017, 01:06 PM
3/10
Try harder.

Prowler
03-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Funny thing is that's exactly what happens.
Well yeah. There's a reason I said that. Remember that Ebonics thread and that thread about Carter's race you've made? It would not have gotten locked on The Vestibule, that's for certain.

Then there is something truly wrong with the world.

On eBay things have shifted. Only since the classic stuff has started coming out from Mega Bloks and NECA have I started having to deal with truly rude, arrogant, childish, entitled people on a regular basis.

People here have a tendency to treat each other like sh!t from time to time but I do still prefer the "handle it yourself" mentality that thrives here, whereas on other boards and mailing lists people cry to the moderators every time they get their feelings hurt.
Yeah, I like how the mods are not nazis in here. Even if we have some "unspoken rules" such as "no religion, politics, etc." people still make such threads and have such arguments/discussions and the mods only step in when things go out of hand. You don't see people getting banned or given warnings out of the blue here like in many other places. It's not an anarchy but not a dictatorship either.

DarthRaphael
03-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Did someone say MOD????

:toops:

Andrew NDB
03-13-2017, 01:22 PM
At the risk of starting a war, this place did seem to start out as a boys' club (mostly in celebration of the comics and toys) whereas I started out posting to mailing lists and boards that had MUCH higher female populations. It took very little to get those hens riled up and squaking.

Boy and how. And constantly whining about how horrible and how much drama there is on the 'Drome. Nonsense.

Prowler
03-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Did someone say MOD????

:toops:
You ain't gonna put me in the doghouse now, are ya? :tcry:

Powder
03-13-2017, 01:26 PM
I wasn't talking specifically about this place when I created the thread. I was talking about TMNT fans in general. I rarely have problems with people on these boards compared to other places.

TMNT fans outside of this forum are wayyyyy more rude, in my experience. I can't tell you how many times I'd see absolute rage-fests from people on the official TMNT's Facebook page posts. They were always casuals, though. It's the casual fans who are truly assholes. When we're dicks it's because of passion, whereas they, well, I don't really know where their anger comes from. You know the type, the ones who feel entitled to seeing characters like Bebop & Rocksteady in iterations that they don't even watch in the first place, who think any version that isn't Fred Wolf's is a "gay spin-off", etc. People who say stuff like "Ralph" & "Master Shredder". :lol:

Andrew NDB
03-13-2017, 01:30 PM
TMNT fans outside of this forum are wayyyyy more rude, in my experience. I can't tell you how many times I'd see absolute rage-fests from people on the official TMNT's Facebook page posts. They were always casuals, though. It's the casual fans who are truly assholes.

It's because they are PAID PROTESTERS.

Prowler
03-13-2017, 01:32 PM
TMNT fans outside of this forum are wayyyyy more rude, in my experience. I can't tell you how many times I'd see absolute rage-fests from people on the official TMNT's Facebook page posts. They were always casuals, though. It's the casual fans who are truly assholes. When we're dicks it's because of passion, whereas they, well, I don't really know where their anger comes from. You know the type, the ones who feel entitled to seeing characters like Bebop & Rocksteady in iterations that they don't even watch in the first place, who think any version that isn't Fred Wolf's is a "gay spin-off", etc. People who say stuff like "Ralph" & "Master Shredder". :lol:
Ugh tell me about it. They claim to love the TMNT so much and yet barely even remember the FW series. I remember once a few people in another forum saying that only a teenager would prefer the 2k3 series to the FW series and I told them that the 2k3 series had story arcs and more action than the FW series did but ofc they did not listen to me. The thing is, I DO like FW Turtles, but it's kinda sad that it's set the standard for what the TMNT should be in the eyes of most people.

ToTheNines
03-13-2017, 01:41 PM
It's because they are PAID PROTESTERS.

Uh oh......

plastroncafe
03-13-2017, 01:42 PM
No TRUE Scotsman!

03-24-2017, 07:00 PM

I don't consider those people fans. They don't count.

ProphetofGanja
03-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Troll on, you crazy diamond.

Now I'm gonna go listen to that guitar solo

Yeah, I like how the mods are not nazis in here. Even if we have some "unspoken rules" such as "no religion, politics, etc." people still make such threads and have such arguments/discussions and the mods only step in when things go out of hand. You don't see people getting banned or given warnings out of the blue here like in many other places. It's not an anarchy but not a dictatorship either.

Are there really mods here?

F**k midichlorians

Andrew NDB
03-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Are there really mods here?

Jester's a mod, and he's pretty cool. Every once in a while the other ones will pop out of the shadows and, like, get mad about self-censored swear words...

F**k midichlorians

... like that.

snake
03-24-2017, 11:12 PM
I only use ONE (1) asterisk in my naughty words.

F*ck. Sh*t. F*t Hook*rs.

Rooish
03-24-2017, 11:42 PM
I've lurked around for a while and I must say I think the forum has gotten more jerkish. Maybe it was the Bay movies. Seems like many people who had thoughtful things to say have given up and moved on.

Powder
03-25-2017, 01:24 AM
Maybe it was the Bay movies. Seems like many people who had thoughtful things to say have given up and moved on.

You would be correct. Not many survived the war on Platinum Dunes...

Jephael
03-25-2017, 07:15 AM
Recently I've learned to quit bellyaching over the people here who dislike me and just focus on those who actually care what I have to say. It used to bother me a lot when I'd get into an argument and try to make amends with the person (even in private), only to have it blow up in my face, which then would get me extremely riled up.

It's like the saying goes: Haters Gonna Hate. That being said...

https://d.justpo.st/media/images/2013/05/14ab7a62dec65e24f6aba33874a25b0c.jpg

DisKosh
03-26-2017, 05:10 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I've found fans of the 2003 series to be pretty bad (and I say that as a fan of the 2003 series). Many of them seem to look down on fans of the other versions.

Then again, I've also heard the same from the Fred Wolf one. There's a subsection of people who only watch that cartoon and call themselves 'purists'. I wish I was joking.

Conversely, fans of the Bay movies and the Nick show seem to be fairly chilled, even if they don't show interest in other adaptations, they're cool with the fact that other people like them.

Powder
03-26-2017, 05:13 PM
Conversely, fans of the Bay movies seem to be fairly chilled

http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/tmnt-trollface.jpg

DisKosh
03-26-2017, 05:18 PM

Thank God I'm working the night shift, else I'd be having nightmares. :tcouch:

CyberCubed
03-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I've found fans of the 2003 series to be pretty bad (and I say that as a fan of the 2003 series). Many of them seem to look down on fans of the other versions.

Then again, I've also heard the same from the Fred Wolf one. There's a subsection of people who only watch that cartoon and call themselves 'purists'. I wish I was joking.

None of those people are actual TMNT fans though. They're casuals who only briefly remember TMNT from their childhood and have no idea about the franchise overall.

Rooish
03-26-2017, 05:31 PM
I kind of think the Mirage purists are the rudest.

I like Mirage best too, but have to appreciate what got me into the franchise to begin with (Fred Wolf and live action movies), what re-ignited my interest (2003 series and, believe it or not, Volume 4), and any other honest attempts at re-imagining the series.

CyberCubed
03-26-2017, 05:34 PM
There aren't many Mirage purists around though. Andrew and maybe a few other people who rarely show up here are the only ones. In fact I can barely think of any Mirage purists in the 15+ years I've been on this forum.

Powder
03-27-2017, 07:14 AM
I kind of think the Mirage purists are the rudest.

There's like... one.

Candy Kappa
03-27-2017, 07:21 AM
There's like... one.

So a 100% of the Mirage purists are rude!

couldn't resist, sorry:lol:

ToTheNines
03-27-2017, 07:43 AM

There's like... one.

Yyyyeeeeeaahhhhh... don't know what they're talking about, either.

Bayturtles fans are "chill" now because the whole section is mostly dead. But that was a **** scene during both releases.

Andrew is the only person I'd call a Mirage purist, and he dabbles in other versions. He also generally just picks on the works, and not the fans. Of course that annoys the fans, but he's mostly just trying to be funny.

BubblyShell22
03-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Yeah, he's never been outright rude to the fans of the incarnations and just likes to say that he prefers Mirage and just talks about the shows and movies themselves. And that's perfectly fine too.

03-27-2017, 07:57 AM
Jester's a mod, and he's pretty cool. Every once in a while the other ones will pop out of the shadows and, like, get mad about self-censored swear words..

Jester may not be my biggest fan, but at least he let me have the last word before he closed my thread after two turds sabotaged it.

Jephael
03-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Jester may not be my biggest fan, but at least he let me have the last word before he closed my thread after two turds sabotaged it.

My aren't you just a jolly little elf or something?

http://coreyhale.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/meanpeople-300x210.jpg

FredWolfLeonardo
03-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Andrew is the only person I'd call a Mirage purist, and he dabbles in other versions. He also generally just picks on the works, and not the fans. Of course that annoys the fans, but he's mostly just trying to be funny.

I doubt that with him picking on every PD fan as a plant lol. I agree though people need to chill out when he pokes fun at other incarnations of tmnt. I always have a good laugh seeing his posts/thread in the PD section.

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 02:47 PM
I doubt that with him picking on every PD fan as a plant lol.

Every fan as a plant? Where are these so-called legit "fans" now? They're not here because the need for marketing is done.

Bayturtles fans are "chill" now because the whole section is mostly dead.

Bayturtles fans are "chill" now because they don't exist. They were 99.5% PLANTS.

Jephael
03-27-2017, 02:56 PM
I doubt that with him picking on every PD fan as a plant lol. I agree though people need to chill out when he pokes fun at other incarnations of tmnt. I always have a good laugh seeing his posts/thread in the PD section.

The Michael Bay films aside, it is hard trying not to take it personally when he makes derogatory comments about the more classic iterations, especially the original cartoon. That show meant a lot to those of us who grew up with it back then, and unfortunately it was a victim of the time it came out. I don't blame the writers though for the choices that were ultimately made... it all lies on the fault of network censors in the end.

That all being said, I still find it funny Andrew complains so much about the original 1990 film. That's about as close to the violent, gritty realism of the original comics as they could ever get, especially back then.

At this point I feel like the only person who could ever do anything that dark and gritty with the TMNT would be Kick-Ass and Kingsman director Matthew Vaughn

DarthRaphael
03-27-2017, 02:59 PM
I love people that bypass the swear filter. Just sayin. :trolleye:

DisKosh
03-27-2017, 03:07 PM
I love Mirage but that doesn't mean it's perfect. I try and avoid calling myself a purist of anything because you miss so much.

1939 movie adaptation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame? Nothing like the novel, you can't like it if you're a purist.

I still love the novel and many changes added in the movies don't improve on the novel, at least in my opinion, but they're still interesting and make for enjoyable viewing.

Jephael
03-27-2017, 03:17 PM
I try and avoid calling myself a purist of anything because you miss so much.

Same here. Heck for a while there, I was kind of an Archie TMNT purist putting that whole iteration on a pedestal.

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 03:21 PM
I don't really consider myself a "Mirage purist." I just have a predilection toward TMNT material that is not watered-down, toy-shilling dogsh*t. If new TMNT material appears that is not that, I would probably enjoy it.

Jephael
03-27-2017, 03:31 PM
I don't really consider myself a "Mirage purist." I just have a predilection toward TMNT material that is not watered-down, toy-shilling dogsh*t. If new TMNT material appears that is not that, I would probably enjoy it.

Okay, but then why can't certain secondary characters be given another chance, like Bebop and Rocksteady? I recall the Archie comics doing a decent job with them, as the current IDW comics have been doing lately. I don't see them getting too overused.

I feel like you put the Ninja Turtles themselves on way too big of a pedestal sometimes, and it was never meant to be Shakespeare or whatever high hopes you had for it. Heck, my sister still teases me for being a fan of the TMNT all together, and to be honest I can't say I blame her. It is all pretty childish when you get right down to it.

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 03:37 PM
I feel like you put the Ninja Turtles themselves on way too big of a pedestal sometimes, and it was never meant to be Shakespeare or whatever high hopes you had for it. Heck, my sister still teases me for being a fan of the TMNT all together, and to be honest I can't say I blame her. It is all pretty childish when you get right down to it.

You are in no way, shape or form remotely qualified to even chime in this discussion... let alone weigh in on other board members.

Jephael
03-27-2017, 03:39 PM
You are in no way, shape or form remotely qualified to even chime in this discussion... let alone weigh in on other board members.

Whoa, looks like I hit a little nerve there! Chill, man. We're talking Ninja Turtles here, not political matters.

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Whoa, looks like I hit a little nerve there! Chill, man. We're talking Ninja Turtles here, not political matters.

What does that even mean?

AquaParade
03-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Every fan as a plant? Where are these so-called legit "fans" now? They're not here because the need for marketing is done.

Bayturtles fans are "chill" now because they don't exist. They were 99.5% PLANTS.

I'd love it if you could point a post or thread clearly made by a plant.

It's not that I don't believe you, I just find it hard to believe, and slightly fascinating.

It seems to me that you couldn't really put a dent in things by sending multiple people to hype it up your movie in this relatively small forum.

Once again, not calling you out, but I would love to take a look.

Jephael
03-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Am I gonna have to come out and say it? Because I know what your response is gonna be, man.

These are make believe characters; figments of peoples' imagination!!! They're meant to bring enjoyment to our lives, not turn us all into a bunch of whiny p*ssies arguing over how they should and shouldn't be depicted.

This whole debate reminds of an old episode of South Park from years back, though I'd prefer not to go into a tangent here.

TigerClaw
03-27-2017, 03:48 PM
This is why I don't get involved in any of these discussions, It gets very political, Mirage fans, Fred Wolf Fans, 4Kids Fans, Nick Fans, PDTMNT Fans are always ripping on each other, Its like Politics, One side thinks they are better then the other, This is a battle neither will win.

I'm a Fred Wolf Fan, And I'm not gonna argue why I think that version of TMNT is better then the rest of them, Cause I'm very open to other incarnations, I'm fan of the franchise, As long as there is a TMNT in any shape or form, I'm happy to see it still being relevant. :)

DestronMirage22
03-27-2017, 03:49 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/61/8c/5b/618c5b6f28a2fdb56349e06985a75536.gif

Jephael
03-27-2017, 03:51 PM
This is why I don't get involved in any of these discussions, It gets very political, Mirage fans, Fred Wolf Fans, 4Kids Fans, Nick Fans, PDTMNT Fans are always ripping on each other, Its like Politics, One side thinks they are better then the other, This is a battle neither will win.

I'm a Fred Wolf Fan, And I'm not gonna argue why I think that version of TMNT is better then the rest of them, Cause I'm very open to other incarnations, I'm fan of the franchise, As long as there is a TMNT in any shape or form, I'm happy to see it still being relevant. :)

I only get involved once in a blue moon myself. Usually I'll be like that previous guy and just spectate while eating a snack, but there are times like this where I just decide to say "screw it" and get involved.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 03:54 PM
it's kinda funny that the last few posts are proving the thread titles point.

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 03:57 PM
I'd love it if you could point a post or thread clearly made by a plant.

Here's one, for sure:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/member.php?u=12814

And sift through, like, pages 50+ of the "Official TMNT 2 discussion." You'll see'em. Look at join dates and activity.

Powder
03-27-2017, 03:57 PM

Is the Fred Wolf cartoon your #1 favorite? Genuinely just curious. I had assumed it was the Nick series.

DisKosh
03-27-2017, 04:21 PM
It is all pretty childish when you get right down to it.

But it doesn't have to be.

With the right talent, it could be taken as seriously as some of the Netflix Marvel series. TMNT has the potential for serious drama in spite of the incredulous title.

DestronMirage22
03-27-2017, 04:24 PM
But it doesn't have to be.

With the right talent, it could be taken as seriously as some of the Netflix Marvel series. TMNT has the potential for serious drama in spite of the incredulous title.

TMNT had that potential and credibility. At least before the sell to Nick. These days most of the stuff that is put out just keeps reinforcing that negative view about the brand.

I think the IDW comics are the only good thing that is still coming out that keeps the brand from floundering completely.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 04:27 PM
Most of the Nick show is great for what it is.

Dust
03-27-2017, 04:29 PM
TMNT had that potential and credibility. At least before the sell to Nick. These days most of the stuff that is put out just keeps reinforcing that negative view about the brand.

I think the IDW comics are the only good thing that is still coming out that keeps the brand from floundering completely.

The Nick show is good though

DestronMirage22
03-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Most of the Nick show is great for what it is.

The Nick show is good though

Hey, that's your guys' opinions and I respect that, but I think the opposite.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Hey, that's your guys' opinions and I respect that, but I think the opposite.

Why don't you like it? The last couple of episodes in particular have been great.

Dust
03-27-2017, 04:37 PM
I definitely think the last 6 episodes of season 4 (apart from maybe The Power Inside Her) are all great episodes of not just TMNT but cartoons in general. The first arc of season 5 is like that as well imo. If you haven't, I suggest watching those.

Prowler
03-27-2017, 04:56 PM
I dunno how many "Mirage purists" are out there, but original Mirage fans cannot be more than 20 people or so, not including Eatsman's and Laird's moms.

TigerClaw
03-27-2017, 04:57 PM
Is the Fred Wolf cartoon your #1 favorite? Genuinely just curious. I had assumed it was the Nick series.
Fred Wolf is my #1 favorite, but it doesn't mean I don't like all the others.

Its purely on the fact it was my very first exposure to TMNT before knowing it was a comic.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 06:09 PM
I dunno how many "Mirage purists" are out there, but original Mirage fans cannot be more than 20 people or so, not including Eatsman's and Laird's moms.

I think it's probably because most of those original Mirage fans, who were already at least teens in the 80's to follow the original Mirage run before the cartoon...are now over 50 year old adults.

AquaParade
03-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Here's one, for sure:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/member.php?u=12814

And sift through, like, pages 50+ of the "Official TMNT 2 discussion." You'll see'em. Look at join dates and activity.

Thanks!

Definitely taking a look. Beats working.

ToTheNines
03-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Some of them are super obvious.

Prowler
03-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Ofc many of them are plants. It would make perfect sense. I mean, no offence, but I'm sceptical of anyone genuinely liking that POS that Bay Turtles is. If it's just in a "it's so bad it's good" kind of way then OK, but people who actually think it's a quality piece of fiction? Yeah I don't agree with that at all.

DisKosh
03-27-2017, 08:22 PM
Ofc many of them are plants. It would make perfect sense. I mean, no offence, but I'm sceptical of anyone genuinely liking that POS that Bay Turtles is. If it's just in a "it's so bad it's good" kind of way then OK, but people who actually think it's a quality piece of fiction? Yeah I don't agree with that at all.

I'm not against watching the first one and I actually do enjoy the second enough to get the DVD.

However, I think it's far from perfect, but there are so many moments from OotS that I genuinely enjoy.

DestronMirage22
03-28-2017, 12:34 AM
Why don't you like it? The last couple of episodes in particular have been great.

Are you serious dude? I've expressed my feelings about the show multiple times in that sections threads, and once in response to you, I don't feel like doing it again.

CyberCubed
03-28-2017, 12:44 AM
Are you serious dude? I've expressed my feelings about the show multiple times in that sections threads, and once in response to you, I don't feel like doing it again.

I don't remember then. It's a good show.

Coola Yagami
03-28-2017, 01:29 AM
I don't remember then. It's a good show.

He's free to like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes even if it's a different opinion than yours.

FredWolfLeonardo
03-28-2017, 01:50 AM
He's free to like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes even if it's a different opinion than yours.

Are you saying you're daring enough to challenge Cubed as the sole and final authority on tmnt?

ZariusTwo
03-28-2017, 07:06 AM
If it's just in a "it's so bad it's good" kind of way then OK, but people who actually think it's a quality piece of fiction? Yeah I don't agree with that at all.

I found there to be a lot of strong character moments in Out of the Shadows, and the action is fairly serviceable. There's still stuff in it I can't particularly stand either, which is why I'm currently re-editing it, (check out my thread on that if you can)

Jephael
03-28-2017, 11:16 AM

You know, I gave this some thought last night and I realized something kinda bittersweet. These comic book franchises only get a shot at the big time like once every 30-50 years or so. Superman and Batman are the only two properties I can think of that've been around far longer than that to go through such a thing more than once. Back in the the late 70s when the Richard Donner films came out, Superman was everywhere. Same as Batman was when the Tim Burton movies were released a decade later. Now DC is trying (abeit miserably) to recapture what those characters had back then, but I digress.

Even Spider-Man went through a similar phase in 2002 when Sam Raimi made the first ever live action movie about the wall crawler, which kinda mirrored what happened with the TMNT back in 1990 when their first ever live action film came out.

Someday they might be able to recapture that magic, but sadly, those of us who are still around to see it happen will be too old and some of us too senile to appreciate it.

CyberCubed
03-28-2017, 11:25 AM
You know, I gave this some thought last night and I realized something kinda bittersweet. These comic book franchises only get a shot at the big time like once every 30-50 years or so.

This isn't true at all.

Jephael
03-28-2017, 11:30 AM
This isn't true at all.

When was the last time people seriously loved the Ninja Turtles? Lately they've been kind of a joke, especially when you take into account the Michael Bay films. Sure the CGI cartoon has helped them regain some traction, but they've yet to reclaim that level of popularity they had when I was a kid, and it probably won't happen again until I'm a feeble old man wallowing in my own human waste somewhere in a nursing home.

Andrew NDB
03-28-2017, 11:42 AM
http://i.faketrumptweet.com/emb6ilh7r6_1kq29tj.png

Jephael
03-28-2017, 11:43 AM
I see from that avatar you're still trying to pass that kidney stone. You should really go see a doctor about that, buddy!!!

Andrew NDB
03-28-2017, 11:45 AM
I see from that avatar you're still trying to pass that kidney stone. You should really go see a doctor about that, buddy!!!

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/104/74104/300824.jpg

Jephael
03-28-2017, 11:46 AM
https://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/geoff-johns-rings.jpg

Checkmate, motherf*cker... :tlol:

Andrew NDB
03-28-2017, 11:47 AM
https://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/geoff-johns-rings.jpg

Checkmate, motherf*cker... :tlol:

That's probably the one guy that's more annoying than you.

Jephael
03-28-2017, 11:51 AM
That's probably the one guy that's more annoying than you.

I'll take that as a compliment. :tgrin:
I mean come on, the dude gets paid thousands of dollars to do what you wish you could do for a living!!!