PDA

View Full Version : The Matrix reboot in the works

NinjaPug
03-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Sigh....of course it is.

Zak Penn doing the treatment? Double whammy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matrix-reboot-works-at-warner-bros-986292

ToTheNines
03-14-2017, 07:26 PM
I know it's a bit cliche to rag on reboots as they're announced, but this one is entirely too soon. The first 2 still hold up great.

sdp
03-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Matrix needs a sequel to the first one that ignores Reloaded/Revolutions or just set at a different time from the time of Neo.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-14-2017, 07:45 PM
For frak's sake.

Nothing is sacred.

Let's reboot Citizen Kane and Casablanca while we're at it, hmm?

TigerClaw
03-14-2017, 07:48 PM
The Wachowskis are not involved with the reboot.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-14-2017, 07:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/3459590542/3d38f7054520025cc9d815cc63dd3c60_400x400.jpeg

what the living fugg

This is one movie I thought Hollywood in a million years would never try to 'reboot'.

TigerClaw
03-14-2017, 07:52 PM
They should totally call it. "The Matrix Rebooted"

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-14-2017, 07:58 PM
They should totally call it. "The Matrix Rebooted"

That...

Well, it would be hilarious. :tlol:

TigerClaw
03-14-2017, 08:01 PM
That...

Well, it would be hilarious. :tlol:
I know right? cause we have The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolution, and if they are rebooting it, it would make sense if they called it The Matrix Rebooted.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-14-2017, 08:10 PM
I know right? cause we have The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolution, and if they are rebooting it, it would make sense if they called it The Matrix Rebooted.

It would be refreshingly honest as well.

Cure
03-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Nice, I'll watch it. I hope it's awesome.

CyberCubed
03-14-2017, 08:54 PM
The first Matrix was a decent movie that was a bit overrated simply because it was the first movie that popularized the, "slow motion bullets and stopping time" during the middle of fights, but a lot of that doesn't stand out as new or interesting anymore.

The other two movies were a bore. Matrix has nothing going for it anymore. Even the whole, "The real world is just a computer simulation" has been overdone in sci-fi for years, like in Star Trek's holodeck episodes.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-14-2017, 09:01 PM
I never got the appeal for Matrix either.
People kept telling me that, 'oh, this movie is so deep! It'll really make you think!' By the time the credits rolled it just felt like another goofy popcorn movie.

CyberCubed
03-14-2017, 09:03 PM
The movie came out when I was like 13-14, even as a young teenager I thought it was kind of silly.

kaptainmyke
03-14-2017, 10:05 PM
But there are no more payphones?

DestronMirage22
03-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Who wanted this?

sdp
03-14-2017, 11:18 PM
I wanted this, The Matrix was my favorite movie until the sequels kind of affected my opinion on the franchise. I recently saw the trilogy after not watching it in over a decade and....

The Matrix: Still pretty goddamn awesome and a true classic. One of the best movies ever.

Reloaded: Great at world building, seriously most of the characters introduced are awesome even if the story is kind of weird but that's fine because all they're doing is setting up the third movie..

Revolutions: They didn't fix the story and go for a terrible route, gone is the awesome world building that they did and instead it's a boring generic action movie.

So yeah, make a sequel to the original years later or a prequel or whatever, the world is awesome, especially the ideas of what The Matrix world actually is like that we saw in full in Reloaded. The movie is basically 20 years old now so it's fine to reboot it, but it doesn't have to be a full reboot. My first thoughts after re-watching the trilogy was "I want a new great Matrix film"

Wesley
03-15-2017, 09:58 AM
I never got the appeal for Matrix either.
People kept telling me that, 'oh, this movie is so deep! It'll really make you think!' By the time the credits rolled it just felt like another goofy popcorn movie.

Agreed. I only watched the first film recently, though, so parts of it were probably dated. Didn't know what was going on most of the time. One of the most overrated films ever, in my opinion. I thought the tv film Virtual Nightmare did the whole premise better.

Andrew NDB
03-15-2017, 11:18 AM
There's really no reason to hard reboot it at all when the very premise of the Matrix would lend itself perfectly to a "soft" reboot. I mean, just think about it. Though I'd really rather just see the Wachowskis come back and make a truly awesome, back in full form Matrix 4.

First one is amazing, and timeless. Second one bored me to tears, and its plot seems meaningless in the end. Third one was OK. For 2 and 3, it kind of seemed like they had good enough ideas to make one proper sequel... but they stretched it all out needlessly into 2 movies, and it feels like it.

CyberCubed
03-15-2017, 11:45 AM
It's kinda funny the first Matrix came out when the internet was just barely mainstream.

snake
03-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Why? Just make a sequel or soft reboot it.

sdp
03-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Well the article mentions that they're planning on re-launching The Matrix, not rebooting it. The majority of the people don't even read the articles and you get so much speculation on something that may not even be true. So yeah we might get a sequel or soft reboot of sorts, that's what I think they'll do.

The Matrix is full of potential for making great movies though the whole no more payphones is indeed a problem haha. I hope they don't go the Star Wars spin-offs route which the article suggests. No Wachowski's I have mixed feelings about, on one hand they're geekyness is what made the original so great but they also put out some great stinkers so I don't know if I trust them completely, maybe they should only supervise.

CyberCubed
03-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Is Keanu Reeves even returning for this?

Wildcat
03-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Everyone complaining...

https://s17.postimg.org/uvgmxdp0f/IMG_0406.jpg

Ok I just really wanted to post that because I knew people would be upset about this. I'm not really into the Matrix movies. I saw the first but don't remember it very well.

Here's one more
https://s12.postimg.org/t249dw259/IMG_0411.jpg

CyberCubed
03-15-2017, 10:55 PM
I was about to say, do the young people of today even care or know about the Matrix movies? The first one came out in 1999, the teens of today weren't even born when the first movie came out, and people in their early 20's were only toddlers when it was released.

I don't even know if the young generation of today would even care for this stuff.

Andrew NDB
03-15-2017, 11:18 PM
The Matrix is full of potential for making great movies though the whole no more payphones is indeed a problem haha.

Not necessarily. The Matrix was said to be a constantly recycling loop of the year 1999. I mean, they could change that, obviously, but that's what it is now.

sdp
03-15-2017, 11:20 PM
I was about to say, do the young people of today even care or know about the Matrix movies? The first one came out in 1999, the teens of today weren't even born when the first movie came out, and people in their early 20's were only toddlers when it was released.

I don't even know if the young generation of today would even care for this stuff.

You could argue the same for all the 80s reboots we were getting, including TMNT.

The Matrix is an iconic film part of pop culture that people recognize like say King Kong even though I wasn't alive in the 30s or Star Wars for a better analogy as I hadn't been born by the time the franchise was basically dead and I discovered it before the mid 90s revival.

We know nothing about this project, it's a rumor at best. But if I must he was recently asked and he said he'd go for it if the Wachowski's were involved.

edit: I don't know why I took the bait.

TigerClaw
03-16-2017, 11:12 AM
The original Matrix movies were a pioneer in the Bullet Time FX, For the new one, they will have to come up with some new FX to top the original, cause after the Matrix movies came out, a lot of other movies copied those Bullet Time FX.

snake
03-16-2017, 11:21 AM

I f*cking love the Matrix. The first movie is the perfect example of using the heroes journey story.

CyberCubed
03-16-2017, 12:47 PM
Snake, do the young teens in your school even know about movies prior to the 2000's? 80's and 90's movies must be "old crap" to them, and look retro or dated or whatever, and not like post 2000 movies.

Hell the young kids of today probably don't like any movie prior to 2005 or so.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-16-2017, 01:08 PM
I only came here to comment that, yes, I have seen (and loved) The Matrix.

Has Cubed?

snake
03-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Snake, do the young teens in your school even know about movies prior to the 2000's? 80's and 90's movies must be "old crap" to them, and look retro or dated or whatever, and not like post 2000 movies.

Hell the young kids of today probably don't like any movie prior to 2005 or so.

No one really talks about movies, regardless of how old or new they are. There's 3 different people that I've talked film with and all of them watch older stuff. The first kid is a huge Tarantino and war film fan, and he's seen some pretty obscure stuff.
The next kid that talked about movies talked about tons of sh*t, ranging from the 60s to now. He was pretty cool, his favorite film was Goodfellas. There's another guy like that currently in my class. The other day we were talking about Ace Ventura.

Movie talk isn't common but when it happens, people talk about a variety of films.

THGhost
03-16-2017, 04:39 PM
I'm all for this. The concept of The Matrix is even more relevant today, so a new spin on it could be cool.

Does he even need to? He's doing great as John Wick right now, does he really need to dig up an old franchise of his?

ToTheNines
03-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Michael B. Jordan is rumored to star.

Andrew NDB
03-17-2017, 10:22 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/86822-not-like-this-gif-perfect-loop-pD6b.gif

CyberCubed
03-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Wasn't he the main character in Creed? He was pretty good in that movie, but in any other he'd just look like a generic black actor.

Andrew NDB
03-17-2017, 12:16 PM
He was in "Chronicle," and its remake, "Fantastic Four."

ProphetofGanja
03-17-2017, 01:25 PM
The original Matrix movies were a pioneer in the Bullet Time FX, For the new one, they will have to come up with some new FX to top the original, cause after the Matrix movies came out, a lot of other movies copied those Bullet Time FX.

Hammer Time :lol:
https://68.media.tumblr.com/f61ecb5ba9b5037d8b276aad5c238d50/tumblr_nypszsFpMP1tx0eb6o1_500.gif

NinjaPug
03-17-2017, 05:16 PM
These comments from Zak Penn make me feel better about the project since they won't simply be re-telling Neo's story. Hopefully Deadline's report about WB forming a writer's room for this is correct because I'm not a fan of Penn.

Can’t comment yet except to say that the words ‘reboot’ and ‘remake’ were from an article. Let’s stop responding to inaccurate news,” he wrote on Twitter.

Penn added, “If I were going to recast Keanu Reeves, I would cast Keanu Reeves. … How about just re-release The Matrix? Don’t reboot it, you can’t do better. Do I want to see more stories set in the universe of The Matrix? Yes. Because it’s a brilliant idea that generates great stories. Look at what people are doing with X-Men universe. Between Logan and Legion and Deadpool, does anyone want them to stop? Not me.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/17/the-matrix-screenwriter-comments-on-new-movie-plans/

CyberCubed
03-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Look at what people are doing with X-Men universe. Between Logan and Legion and Deadpool, does anyone want them to stop? Not me.”

He should look around more.

CyberCubed
03-18-2017, 01:03 AM
Another problem is the things that made the first Matrix so special back in 1999 now no longer stand out. The whole slow motion bullets, slow motion karate fighting, "bullet-time" was all pretty much brand new in 1999...over the last 16 years it's been done time and time again and parodied in tons of other movies and shows.

Likewise the whole concept of the world being just a computer simulation is kinda dated, hell the whole thing is from old sci-fi movies or Star Trek's holodeck for that matter. And the machines are just a ripoff of Terminator in a way.

I don't know how a movie made these days could stand out.

sdp
03-18-2017, 12:16 PM
You don't really like The Matrix so why do you keep posting here? You obviously don't get what makes it cool which is fine but to say that others wouldn't be interested just cuz you aren't isn't quite true.

The idea of us living in a simulation is even more realistic and relevant now than in the past with the rise of Virtual and Augmented Reality. Bullet time hasn't been done since all The Matrix finished pretty much, at least not overdone and if it is its just part of a normal movie, that's how revolutionary it is. The mix of Martial-Arts and guns hasn't really been done very well by many other movies and it'd be great to have it done again.

I think if handled correctly Matrix could become as big of a franchise as it was in the early 00's. Plenty of hurdles to pass though as I'm pretty sure they'll try to PG-13 The Matrix.

CyberCubed
03-18-2017, 02:01 PM
I like the first Matrix movie a lot. It's just a fun action and sci-fi movie. The people who look for "deeper meanings" than that like there's some sort of depth to the concept are people looking for things that aren't there. There are other sci-fi movies or Star Trek that do the whole virtual reality or holodeck concepts a lot better.

TigerClaw
03-18-2017, 02:04 PM
You don't really like The Matrix so why do you keep posting here? You obviously don't get what makes it cool which is fine but to say that others wouldn't be interested just cuz you aren't isn't quite true.

The idea of us living in a simulation is even more realistic and relevant now than in the past with the rise of Virtual and Augmented Reality. Bullet time hasn't been done since all The Matrix finished pretty much, at least not overdone and if it is its just part of a normal movie, that's how revolutionary it is. The mix of Martial-Arts and guns hasn't really been done very well by many other movies and it'd be great to have it done again.

I think if handled correctly Matrix could become as big of a franchise as it was in the early 00's. Plenty of hurdles to pass though as I'm pretty sure they'll try to PG-13 The Matrix.
The Matrix movies, even though they were R rated, They didn't really felt R rated to me, It wasn't too violent or bloody, since it took place in a virtual world, all that stuff was just simulations.

snake
03-18-2017, 02:06 PM
The Matrix movies, even though they were R rated, They didn't really felt R rated to me, It wasn't too violent or bloody, since it took place in a virtual world, all that stuff was just simulations.

Who f*cking cares? You're worse than Cubed at this point. Why keep posting the same thing over, in the same thread nonetheless?

TigerClaw
03-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Who f*cking cares? You're worse than Cubed at this point. Why keep posting the same thing over, in the same thread nonetheless?
Don't really know what your talking about since it didn't involved you.

snake
03-18-2017, 03:13 PM
Don't really know what your talking about since it didn't involved you.

You're on an open forum, f*cknut.

TigerClaw
03-18-2017, 03:20 PM
You're on an open forum, f*cknut.
Whatever, since its an open forum, I talk about whatever I want too. ;)

snake
03-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Whatever, since its an open forum, I talk about whatever I want too. ;)

Yeah, nah, you got your point across once. Hammering it in does nothing.

ToTheNines
03-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Who f*cking cares? You're worse than Cubed at this point.

Not even close.

Cure
03-18-2017, 05:20 PM
What did he even say that was so angering? Jesus.

TigerClaw
03-18-2017, 06:25 PM
What did he even say that was so angering? Jesus.
Yeah, Dont know what's gotten into him, cause all I said was that the Matrix movies felt like PG-13 to me even if they were R.

If you look at those movies now, they are tame compared to the current R rated movies of today.

Shark_Blade
03-18-2017, 06:56 PM
It's not a reboot.

TigerClaw
03-18-2017, 07:21 PM
It's not a reboot.
Its more of a continuation of where things left off, I can see more stories being told after the Matrix got rebooted at the end of Revolution, with humans and machines making peace, they can tell stories of something or someone trying to restart the war.

NinjaPug
03-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Who reported it was a continuation after Revolutions? Don't think that's accurate.

TigerClaw
03-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Who reported it was a continuation after Revolutions? Don't think that's accurate.
The guy whose writing it is indicating that they can tell stories set in the universe, so they are not rebooting it and retelling the story, they can tell stories in the Matrix that happened right after the last movie.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-18-2017, 08:06 PM
I hope it's not a prequel. Prequels are almost always crummy - they tell us what we already know, and every time it turns out that the 'actual' way it happened is way less cool than than what was in our heads.

TigerClaw
03-18-2017, 08:07 PM
From the article posted on EW.
http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/17/the-matrix-screenwriter-comments-on-new-movie-plans/

Days after it was reported Warner Bros. might have plans to bring The Matrix franchise back to theaters, the potential new film’s screenwriter, Zac Penn, has offered some thoughts on the project.

“Can’t comment yet except to say that the words ‘reboot’ and ‘remake’ were from an article. Let’s stop responding to inaccurate news,” he wrote on Twitter.

Penn added, “If I were going to recast Keanu Reeves, I would cast Keanu Reeves. … How about just re-release The Matrix? Don’t reboot it, you can’t do better. Do I want to see more stories set in the universe of The Matrix? Yes. Because it’s a brilliant idea that generates great stories. Look at what people are doing with X-Men universe. Between Logan and Legion and Deadpool, does anyone want them to stop? Not me.”

NinjaPug
03-18-2017, 08:16 PM
The guy whose writing it is indicating that they can tell stories set in the universe, so they are not rebooting it and retelling the story, they can tell stories in the Matrix that happened right after the last movie.

Set in the universe doesn't mean after Revolutions.

TigerClaw
03-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Set in the universe doesn't mean after Revolutions.
I really hope it's after Revolution, The Matrix in those movies had a 90s aesthetics with the use of Payphones to get out of the Matrix, it would be cool to see the Matrix based on our current world with the use of smartphones and such.

TigerClaw
03-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Take this with a grain of salt, But now word has it that it will be a prequel and about a Young Morpheus
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/03/17/the-new-matrix-may-be-a-young-morpheus-movie