PDA

View Full Version : Missed opportunities for Nick's TMNT

Mondo_Gecko
03-15-2017, 01:06 PM
Hey guys,

I don't come here nearly as much as I should, but I just found out that this iteration is ending at season 5.

I have mixed feeling of this version. On one hand, I like the passion Ciero brought, his willingness to mix and amalgamate from Mirage, OT, toys, Archie and 2012, that fact we got a lot of new mutants as well as the return of several old characters, some very obscure like Armaggon being animated for the first time.

That being said, personally, I felt that season 1 was the best, when the season 1 writers were the showrunners, there wasn't an homage every episode to horror, sci-fi and action movies. There were a lot of great episodes from seasons, 2,3 and 4 but consistently, the quality, IMO seemed the best during Season 1.

Now that show is ending, what do you think were the series' biggest missed opportunities, where they're any characters or storylines you wanted to see and what could have been better?

For me,

- I wished Kirby was more developed and given more of a personality. He seemed to only exist for plot purposes.

- I wish Mutagen Man had been developed and given a conclusion. I remember Ciro saying at one of the cons, that Timothy/Mutagen Man was going to be a big part of Season 2.

- I wish all the missing mutagen canisters had been dealt with.

- That all the mutants, mutations were consistent rather then Ciro & team just wanting to play around. SpiderBytez being huge, Fishface having no legs, Squirralanoids coming out of your stomachs, etc .

- Speaking of Fishface and Dogpound/Rahzer, I wish they were more developed and used more. In the beginning both were threats but as the show went along they were easily defeated or hardly in any episodes. I LOVED both characters. And Seriously, why doesn't Fishface have legs? Other then reasons?

- This is a little biased but Snakeweed is one of my fav mutants of all time, Why wasn't he ever given a personality or used more? I liked the idea of him being a tragic mutant who blamed the turtles for turning him to a plant and possibly becoming an ally or causal nemesis.

- I wish there had been an arc on all the mutants in the city/world. We were introduced to so many, Punk Frogs, MuckMan, Sir Malachi, Squiirreanoids, Cockroach Terminator, the mutants that Baxter mutated. I'm sure I'm missing many more.

- I wish that more characters appeared such as Ace Duck (who has been a personal fav), Jagwar, Dreadmon, Man Ray, Maligna, Null, The Uncanny Trio, Shaun O'Hair, Al'falqua, Katmandu, Golani, Scumbug, Dirtbag, Groundchuck, Bookworm, Verminator X, Vid Vicious, Stump & Sling, Cudley the Cowlick.

- I wish that this series adapted more Archie. It's great we got Armaggon. But where was the powerful mutant shark I knew and loved from the comics? I would have loved to see a Dimension X arc with Kraang, Utoms, Dregg and Maligna battling it out. You have thirteen episodes in space and you don't use Stump Asteroid, Stump and Sling and Cudley the Cowlick? I loved how Archie explored the world. The world building was really spectacular, we could have gone to South America and met Jagwar and Dreadmon, Japan and explored more of Saki and Yoshi and met the Warrior Dragon, explored more of Tiger Claw and Alopex. And so much more!

- To stop with all the homages. In season 3, it felt every episode was a nod to some movie. One or two here and there are fine but not every episode.

- To stop using names if you're going to use a new character. One of my biggest gripes is getting Rahzar, Tokka, Neurtonios, Bellybomb, Mondo Gecko, Armaggon and many others. So many times, I would be watching this and go that's not the Nuetrionos, that's not Armaggon, that's not Bellybomb, Mondo Gecko wouldn't act that way. I'd be much better if they just created new characters instead.

What does everyone wish could have been done? Any missed opportunities for you?

Andrew NDB
03-15-2017, 01:13 PM
http://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/volume01/color/cover360.jpg

DestronMirage22
03-15-2017, 01:16 PM

Seriously, does anything else need to be said? :)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-15-2017, 01:16 PM

As Captain Jean-Luc Picard would tell us all...

THERE... ARE... FOUR... RAPHS!!!!

CyberCubed
03-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Nice topic, I'll go through some of your points. Some I agree some I don't or it's not a big deal.

- I wished Kirby was more developed and given more of a personality. He seemed to only exist for plot purposes.

Eh, he's just April's dad. There's really not much else to do with him. I also gather the writers don't want a middle age man that involved when the main cast including Casey/April in this version are all teens.

I wish Mutagen Man had been developed and given a conclusion. I remember Ciro saying at one of the cons, that Timothy/Mutagen Man was going to be a big part of Season 2.

Yeah, I hope Mutagen Man appears once more in Season 5.

I wish all the missing mutagen canisters had been dealt with.

This...isn't a plotline. This was just to explain where all the new mutants during Season 2 were coming from. There was literally no way for the Turtles to track down mutagen canisters all over New York. New York is huge.

That all the mutants, mutations were consistent rather then Ciro & team just wanting to play around. SpiderBytez being huge, Fishface having no legs, Squirralanoids coming out of your stomachs, etc .

Mutagen has always been like this though. Some mutants get huge, other smalls, others can't talk, etc.

Speaking of Fishface and Dogpound/Rahzer, I wish they were more developed and used more. In the beginning both were threats but as the show went along they were easily defeated or hardly in any episodes. I LOVED both characters. And Seriously, why doesn't Fishface have legs? Other then reasons?

This happens with any villain in any show. The first few appearances they seem strong and unbeatable, in following they get weaker and become canon fodder. Happened in the 2k3 series with Hun too.

This is a little biased but Snakeweed is one of my fav mutants of all time, Why wasn't he ever given a personality or used more? I liked the idea of him being a tragic mutant who blamed the turtles for turning him to a plant and possibly becoming an ally or causal nemesis.

He seemed to just be the first example of a Nick mutant, I think we last saw him in Season 2. I don't think they ever intended to develop him.

I wish there had been an arc on all the mutants in the city/world. We were introduced to so many, Punk Frogs, MuckMan, Sir Malachi, Squiirreanoids, Cockroach Terminator, the mutants that Baxter mutated. I'm sure I'm missing many more.

The Nick comics from IDW give these characters more appearances if you want to read them. The Punk Frogs came to New York, Muckman became huge and the Turtles had to stop him, Baxter teamed up with Spiderbitez to rob banks, and the Squirrelnoids had another appearance. You should check out the Nick animated comics if you want. Snakeweed also had more appearances.

I wish that more characters appeared such as Ace Duck (who has been a personal fav), Jagwar, Dreadmon, Man Ray, Maligna, Null, The Uncanny Trio, Shaun O'Hair, Al'falqua, Katmandu, Golani, Scumbug, Dirtbag, Groundchuck, Bookworm, Verminator X, Vid Vicious, Stump & Sling, Cudley the Cowlick.

Well...obviously you can't have everyone from past series appear. There's just not enough time or episodes. They did introduce a huge chunk of the old TMNT cast though.

I wish that this series adapted more Archie. It's great we got Armaggon. But where was the powerful mutant shark I knew and loved from the comics? I would have loved to see a Dimension X arc with Kraang, Utoms, Dregg and Maligna battling it out. You have thirteen episodes in space and you don't use Stump Asteroid, Stump and Sling and Cudley the Cowlick? I loved how Archie explored the world. The world building was really spectacular, we could have gone to South America and met Jagwar and Dreadmon, Japan and explored more of Saki and Yoshi and met the Warrior Dragon, explored more of Tiger Claw and Alopex. And so much more!

Archie TMNT in general is often overlooked by other TMNT series for some reason. I don't know why, but most of its characters tend not to show up in any other TMNT series. For what it's worth Null and Jagwar, although female versions appear in IDW.

- To stop using names if you're going to use a new character. One of my biggest gripes is getting Rahzar, Tokka, Neurtonios, Bellybomb, Mondo Gecko, Armaggon and many others. So many times, I would be watching this and go that's not the Nuetrionos, that's not Armaggon, that's not Bellybomb, Mondo Gecko wouldn't act that way. I'd be much better if they just created new characters instead.

Um, what? Bellybomb is exactly the same as his Archie counterpart. Armaggon is a shark bounty hunter, it doesn't matter that he's not a time traveler. And Rahzar and Tokka are the same animals, they don't have to be exactly the same as past incarnations. Mondo Gecko too, really? He's a mutant gecko, what do you want him to be?

Every series updates old characters, I'm not sure how you can say they aren't all nearly the same characters. No characters are exactly the same per incarnation, IDW and the 2k3 series did the same. I don't understand why you feel they're not the same characters, only one I would agree with you which is Neutrinos.

Characters are not supposed to be 1:1 exactly the same.

Powder
03-15-2017, 01:24 PM
This is already a thread: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=53006

& most of your "missed opportunities" are just nitpicks about how you wish this show did things exactly the same as other iterations. How boring.

ToTheNines
03-15-2017, 01:25 PM
- Shoulda had the guys in all red headbands instead of black in Owari.

- It's not too late, but I really hope The Christmas Aliens and Kirby & The Warp Crystal get adapted. They're gonna be glaring omissions if they don't.

- April's origin should have made a lick of sense.

- Shredder should have named Miwa "Pimiko". And left room a more faithful version of Karai to exist as the leader of the Japanese branch of The Foot.

That's pretty much it.

[

Same here.

- To stop using names if you're going to use a new character.

They got pretty ridiculous with this, at times.

CyberCubed
03-15-2017, 01:30 PM
They got pretty ridiculous with this, at times.

Not really, only exception is the robots Bellybomb used shouldn't have been called Neutrinos. Also would have preferred Nick's Hun to...actually look like Hun, but oh well.

Everyone else is just updated versions of their past characters. I love how they found a way to put Tokka in the show as a giant space Turtle because he and Slash would be too similar otherwise.

PApagreg
03-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Actually seeing Casey family and giving him a new and interesting aspect to his character.

The turtles fighting people who used different martial arts(we saw this in Xever and a lesser extent to Hun) or martial artist in general

CyberCubed
03-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Actually seeing Casey family and giving him a new and interesting aspect to his character.

What would that do, really? Seeing Casey's sister or parents, I doubt that would have done anything interesting.

ToTheNines
03-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Not really, only exception is the robots Bellybomb used shouldn't have been called Neutrinos. Also would have preferred Nick's Hun to...actually look like Hun, but oh well.

Everyone else is just updated versions of their past characters. I love how they found a way to put Tokka in the show as a giant space Turtle because he and Slash would be too similar otherwise.

You would be the biggest bitch on earth (well, if you weren't already) if this version of Bebop was a giant space-pig kaiju and Rocksteady was a martial artist who was trained by Shredder before being mutated. And they never became a duo.

Just because you found the new versions palatable doesn't mean they weren't a radical departure from the original versions.

CyberCubed
03-15-2017, 01:47 PM
That's because Rahzar and Tokka are never anything more than animals in their original incarnations so it doesn't matter. They're animal mutants who work for Shredder in the movie, same as Rahzar working for Shredder in this show. In the original cartoon episode they were just one-episode characters living in the wild.

Tokka is hard for any future incarnation to use because he and Slash have too many similarities, likely the same reason IDW hasn't used Rahzar/Tokka. So using Tokka as a giant space-faring turtle makes sense.

In fact all of Shredder's henchmen in this show, Bebop, Rocksteady, Baxter, Rahzar, and Karai were all characters who worked for him in previous versions. Only Fishface and Tiger Claw are new.

ToTheNines
03-15-2017, 01:58 PM
It's not about just them. I thought some character updates were clever and some were lame. Either way, they often COMPLETELY changed them, but just kept them as the same animal or whatever.

Whereas IDW keeps them recognizable to the original, but builds on them and makes them better.

CyberCubed
03-15-2017, 02:05 PM
Many are very similar:

- Leatherhead is pretty much exactly the same as always

- Slash is exactly the same, an anti-turtle who starts off as a villain than an ally

- Pigeon Pete is identical to the IDW version

- Metalhead is the same

- Baxter Stockman is pretty much the same as always in both human and fly form

- Karai is similar to the 4kids and now IDW versions

- Bebop is still black and Rocksteady a white man with blonde hair before working for Shredder as a pair of mutant henchmen.

- Rat King has a great new design, but is still true to the character. Rat King has a widly different origin in every series too. IDW made him an immortal God, in 4kids he was a failed Bishop clone, etc.

- Bishop himself is head of the EPF and still a guy in a suit and shades even if he's an Utrom in this version, and I see that as a clever throwback to Utrom Shredder in 4kids. Aside from that Bishop is true to his character and fights the same way

- Triceratons are the same

- Armaggon is a bounty hunter shark instead of a time traveler, but who cares

- Punk Frogs have great new designs and aren't all just clones of each other anymore

- Mondo Gecko is the same character he just can't fight well

- Muckman is nearly identical

- Rahzar is a mutant wolf who works for Shredder, he just has a human origin now

- Mutagen Man was some lame nerd before being mutated into a monster, same thing pretty much

- Lord Dregg is an insectoid alien, only this one has some weird robot aspects but I don't know what that was about

- Mona Lisa is an alien instead of mutant, which makes sense as there is a salamander race in this series so it's true to the character with her crush on Raph

- Wingnut/Screwloose might be comicbook superheroes, but they're drastically different in every series anyway

etc.

victory_angel
03-15-2017, 05:16 PM
And we are getting Verminator X in season 5. He will be voiced by Nyanbe Nyanbe

snake
03-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Tighter writing for some episodes is the only thing I wanted. But it seems like S5 will redeem all that.

CyberCubed
03-15-2017, 05:44 PM
I do wish the show got 7 seasons to give more time to flesh out some characters, especially the ones introduced fairly late like Shinigami and Alopex. If they were introduced back in Season 2 or something they could have had a lot of time to develop.

AquaParade
03-15-2017, 05:50 PM

It's just so beautiful :cry:

Jephael
03-15-2017, 11:57 PM
I always felt that Spike should've become the new "Tokka" instead of Slash and ultimately teamed up with Bradford/Rahzar.

Shark_Blade
03-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Actual death scene for Timothy/Mutagen Man.

But him being forgotten by the story plot and everyone else are fitting enough for an annoying looser like him. ;)

ssjup81
03-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Actual death scene for Timothy/Mutagen Man.

But him being forgotten by the story plot and everyone else are fitting enough for an annoying looser like him. ;)But he really wasn't forgotten about. Donnie said that it'd take about 70 years for him to thaw.

ToTheNines
03-16-2017, 05:39 PM
I always felt that Spike should've become the new "Tokka" instead of Slash and ultimately teamed up with Bradford/Rahzar.

They could still do it with Chompy.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
03-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Have an actual 'Dark Raph' arc/storyline that lasted a few episodes.

Explain how Raph got his wound/crack in his shell.

Having a Mikey & Raph episode. In other words, an episode focusing specifically with Mikey & Raph dealing with each other, teaming up and 'saving the day, saving the rest of the family, or whatever the story would entail.'

CyberCubed
03-16-2017, 06:00 PM
Have an actual 'Dark Raph' arc/storyline that lasted a few episodes.

This was generally people wrongly hyping themselves up without context because of IDW's plot. The writers never planned a Dark Raph story, people only have themselves to blame.

This is about as riveting as explaining why Don has a gap in his teeth. It's just a design.

Vicky82
03-16-2017, 06:02 PM

It looks like that's going to happen in the Turtle Babies episode.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
03-16-2017, 06:09 PM
This was generally people wrongly hyping themselves up without context because of IDW's plot. The writers never planned a Dark Raph story, people only have themselves to blame.

This is about as riveting as explaining why Don has a gap in his teeth. It's just a design.

Yeah...that's why I said it was a MISSED Opportunity. They make Raph evil for 5 seconds. They COULD have done something and made a Dark Raph storyline and extended that. THUS Missed Opportunity aka the point of the entire thread.

'as riveting as explaining why Don has a gap in his teeth'...depends on how you write it. Mikey dealing with Christmas presents isn't riveting either...but I like The Christmas Aliens story because of how it dealt with it.

Maybe it wouldn't be riveting, maybe it would. But you (nor I) have Zero Idea on whether it would be 'riveting' or not unless it was done. Maybe he got it saving his baby brother? Maybe he got it saving some poor kid? Maybe he got it and it was part of the reason that made him so angry growing up?

In the hands of a good writer? Anything can be riveting.

Optimus Primer
03-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Yeah...that's why I said it was a MISSED Opportunity. They make Raph evil for 5 seconds. They COULD have done something and made a Dark Raph storyline and extended that. THUS Missed Opportunity aka the point of the entire thread.

Didn't they do that in "Clash of the Mutanimals"? Didn't Raph get Shredder's claws and fight the other turtles?

GoldMutant
03-16-2017, 06:30 PM
Didn't they do that in "Clash of the Mutanimals"? Didn't Raph get Shredder's claws and fight the other turtles?

That's what RamboRaph means.

I'll admit I don't hate Clash of the Mutanimals as much as I used to. It's still one of my least favorites of the third season however. Despite really good action and an out of nowhere slap fight, the rest of the episode is rather underwhelming.

The issue for most Raphael fans is how he's presented in the series. Even though Raph's character is primarily "The angry guy with a soft spot you gotta earn," it seems this Raph cannot break too many molds. He's had three decent episodes overall in the series if I recall (Tokka vs the World, Slash and Destroy, and Turtle Temper to a small extent). However, he also has some of the worst episodes of the series (specifically the Mona episodes).

I mentioned this in the past, I don't understand why they cannot do away with not having a Turtle for an episode. They did it in 2k3 with Ultimate Drako if I remember correctly (I may be wrong). It's a bit tiresome.

Meliwen
03-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Dark Raph was really only disappointing to me, not because it wasn't a full fledged arc, but because Raph was basically the B plot in a Leo episode. I think it could have been pretty neat to focus that episode more on Raph instead.

Overall though, the biggest thing I wish this series had done differently is actually the same issue I had with 2k3. Too much focus on one turtle, and not enough of the others. It feels pretty one sided at times and I think it's a missed opportunity to either not explore the other turtles as much as the show tried to do with Leo, or at least spread the focus to all four equally.

Tarris Vaal
03-16-2017, 08:24 PM
I agree that Dark Raph was a missed opportunity for a good arc in its own right (especially given that the Mind Worm arc didnt really go anywhere - A dark raph side arc would have given it much more purpose)

And yes - Cyber is right to say a lot of it was my own fault for hyping up my own expectations. Though to be fair, that doesn't stop it being a sadly missed opportunity.

Season 5 may yet cover it, but something more about Timothy would have been good (relating to his disappearance and how his family and the police reacted)

Fishface and Rahzar both suffered a bit, losing out to Bebop and Rocksteady. I appreciate B/R had to be included, but it was a shame they did so at the expense of FF/Rz - especially as Zeck and Steranko were interesting characters in their own right.

Dregg felt rather tacked on and unneeded - leading to similar problems with Armaggon. They were unnecessary given Mozar fulfilled the same role, and its a shame they weren't given something more interesting to do or a greater role to play in the final stages of the space arc.

Though we've still got Season 5 to come, Shinigami, Alopex and Renet all had little chance to shine. Hopefully that will be improved come season 5 (certainly Renet will), but if the show had ended there and then, it would have been sad to see them lose the limelight so much.

Andrew NDB
03-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Has Ciro or anyone anywhere even said that things will ramp down to a proper, satisfying finale? Or is everyone just assuming that?

I think there's a good chance season 5 will just end like any other episode.

gBzJGckMYO4

ToTheNines
03-16-2017, 08:40 PM
We're kinda just assuming. And considering the anthology style season we're getting, you might be right Andrew.

CyberCubed
03-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Every season finale of Seasons 1-4 ended on a big episode, so I don't see why Season 5 wouldn't have a big final episode when all the others did. Besides Ciro probably assumed this would be the final season, so it's not like this took him by surprise.

PApagreg
03-16-2017, 10:44 PM
That's what RamboRaph means.

The issue for most Raphael fans is how he's presented in the series. Even though Raph's character is primarily "The angry guy with a soft spot you gotta earn," it seems this Raph cannot break too many molds. He's had three decent episodes overall in the series if I recall (Tokka vs the World, Slash and Destroy, and Turtle Temper to a small extent). However, he also has some of the worst episodes of the series (specifically the Mona episodes).

I mentioned this in the past, I don't understand why they cannot do away with not having a Turtle for an episode. They did it in 2k3 with Ultimate Drako if I remember correctly (I may be wrong). It's a bit tiresome.

Hes still doing better than Mikey, seriously at this point April is a more of a main character than Mikey hell her hair is basically orange.

neatoman
03-17-2017, 03:54 AM
Has Ciro or anyone anywhere even said that things will ramp down to a proper, satisfying finale? Or is everyone just assuming that?

I think there's a good chance season 5 will just end like any other episode.

gBzJGckMYO4

You mean like this? (I can't believe I chose to draw this).

Jephael
03-17-2017, 11:23 AM
They could still do it with Chompy.

I feel like that'd be redundant though. We already have a Tokka now (Chompy's mom) plus it was brought up in that last episode how Chompy will eventually grow larger anyway, even without being mutated. It would be funny to see a flash forward to him being like the size of a horse. I could just picture Raphael making a saddle so he can ride Chompy around.

Metalwolf
03-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Hey guys,
For me,

- I wish Mutagen Man had been developed and given a conclusion. I remember Ciro saying at one of the cons, that Timothy/Mutagen Man was going to be a big part of Season 2.

- I wish all the missing mutagen canisters had been dealt with.

- Speaking of Fishface and Dogpound/Rahzer, I wish they were more developed and used more. In the beginning both were threats but as the show went along they were easily defeated or hardly in any episodes. I LOVED both characters. And Seriously, why doesn't Fishface have legs? Other then reasons?

- To stop with all the homages. In season 3, it felt every episode was a nod to some movie. One or two here and there are fine but not every episode.

What does everyone wish could have been done? Any missed opportunities for you?Those above I agree with (except I don't mind Fishface not having legs.)

Mine are:

Season 2 -Rahzar and Fishface being developed more into threats. My old idea was to actually have Rahzar challenge Shredder for leadership soon after the second mutation, thinking he's a lot more powerful now and can surpass his master. Not surprisingly he loses, but nearly not as bad as he would have have if he was still human or Dogpound. He gets cast out and takes a heavily reluctant Fishface with him as a easily controlled henchman, promising him that he can keep him out of jail because he is rich and famous and has connections. He creates his own rival faction of the Foot, and things come to a head in City at War, when he/Shredder/Karai all take their respective Foot factions and fight each other.

-This leads into Shredder taking on Tigerclaw, Bebop and Rocksteady as replacements since Karai and his two main henchmen left him.

-I would have not had this crossover with Fred Wolf. Not because I hate them but they have been homaged to death by this time already.

Season 3-

I would have dropped the goofy farmhouse stuff, as it is. Just have them be at the farmhouse, and learning how to adapt without having Splinter around and being city slickers in the country.

-No earth being destroyed. They simply delay a Triceraton invasion.

Season 4-
I would have dropped the whole space arc. From what I have read and understood, Wyrm is just as bad as Mr. Ogg, and I hate Mr. Ogg. Begone you crappy character, you are erased from existence!

Overall so far- I would have did away with April's powers. She's a Mary Sue at this point, the attempt to make a cheap 'strong female character' without actually doing the work and characterization to make her strong. Her being a koinochi is is simply now the icing on the cake.

-Took away the goofy cartoon animal-isms. Splinter lamenting his humanity is part of his character they set into him, him installing and running on a giant exercise wheel and eating cheese is goes against this earlier characterization.

FredWolfLeonardo
03-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Maybe some of these things will happen in season 5 but until they happen, I'll still list them here as missed opportunities:

1. Wrapping up the story of mutagen man

2. Not dwelving more into April's backstory and revealing what actually happened to her mother.

3. Having Apriltello vs Capril be nothing more than comic relief. I would've preferred April to end up with Casey at the end and Donatello has to learn to accept it, that would provide interesting character development for both Donnie and Casey.

4. Not providing a satisfactory conclusion to the Kraang, the closest we got to a conclusion was the season 3 mid finale. Atleast Shredder and the foot got a satisfactory end. I just feel like the Kraang should be more prominent, since they are like responsible for almost everything, from the creation of the mutagen to the war in Dimension X.

5. Not giving a satisfactory ending to Lord Dregg

evan2000
03-18-2017, 03:19 AM

It looks like that's going to happen in the Turtle Babies episode.

I guess not, Raph already have a cracked plastron in the Turtle tots ep:

http://i.imgur.com/FTeAoP8.jpg

Unless it gets revisited somehow, I'm gonna just assume the events of "Turtles Take Time (and Space)" as canon:

http://i.imgur.com/Utw2zY6.jpg

Vicky82
03-18-2017, 04:30 AM
I guess not, Raph already have a cracked plastron in the Turtle tots ep:

http://i.imgur.com/FTeAoP8.jpg

The episode hasn't aired yet so we probably still see how it happened.

JH24
03-18-2017, 01:11 PM
But he really wasn't forgotten about. Donnie said that it'd take about 70 years for him to thaw.

Wasn't that only if no one would free Timothy during that time? If I remember correctly they had to leave Timothy behind and Donatello said something along the lines of "Maybe the world will be a better place by then."

I always got the impression Donatello could thaw Timothy and administer a cure whenever he would find it. He promised Timothy just after he was frozen he would find a way to save him.

I really wish they would have mentioned it at least once.

FredWolfLeonardo
03-18-2017, 01:18 PM
I think the turtles won't cure him in the current timeline but the turtles will travel forward on time, seeing that their future selves have cured timothy.

ssjup81
03-18-2017, 01:35 PM
Wasn't that only if no one would free Timothy during that time? If I remember correctly they had to leave Timothy behind and Donatello said something along the lines of "Maybe the world will be a better place by then."

I always got the impression Donatello could thaw Timothy and administer a cure whenever he would find it. He promised Timothy just after he was frozen he would find a way to save him.

I really wish they would have mentioned it at least once.I'm pretty sure if that was the case, then he would've mentioned Timothy in the Lonely Mutation of Baxter Stockman. Donnie only mentioned Kirby and Splinter. Since he's not being refrigerated, then I'm going to assume that it's difficult to thaw him...or the writers can't do anything due to his voice actor being unavailable. :-P

Jephael
03-18-2017, 02:50 PM
While currently re-watching the space-travel arc, I feel like having Leonardo narrate the circumstances of that storyline could've been done differently. Maybe instead of just him explaining it for 20 seconds, all four Turtles could've chimed in and explained a part of the plot, like have Don mention the time travel aspect and Mikey go on about how they get to meet all sorts of awesome alien beings along the way, and even have Raphael make a comment about finding a soulmate among the stars. Also, we didn't need both that narration and an edited version of the normal theme's lyrics.

victory_angel
03-18-2017, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty sure if that was the case, then he would've mentioned Timothy in the Lonely Mutation of Baxter Stockman. Donnie only mentioned Kirby and Splinter. Since he's not being refrigerated, then I'm going to assume that it's difficult to thaw him...or the writers can't do anything due to his voice actor being unavailable. :-P

The moment Donnie said that was during the second invasion which was ten episodes after Lonely Mutation of Baxter Stockman.

The exact quote is "We'll be back Timothy. And if we don't make it, you'll probably thaw out in the next 70 years or so. Perhaps then the world will be a much better place."

With Lonely Mutation, Timothy would have had the retromutagen by default if Stockman hadn't interfered.

Donnie had only been able to make two doses of the stuff. One for Splinter and one for Kirby.

Splinter was to make good on a childhood promise. Donnie has likely seen his father mourn for his lost humanity more than once over his 15-16 years of life. So Donnie likely promised himself that if he ever did find a way to reverse mutations, he would make sure Splinter was cured first.

And Kirby was a much more urgent case since he was mutated due the Turtles screwing up and that could very well have been they're only chance to make things right again.

Splinter while he is touched one of his sons is willing to help him in that manner, still says "I will think about it." A term that does translate to "No" since it's not common to say "No" as a refusal in the Japanese language.

When Stockman interfered when the Turtles were trying to cure Kirby one of the doses was destroyed. Donnie was forced to use his second one to cure Kirby, and even then it was purely convenience that he was restored to human.

Without stockman's interference, Splinter likely would have told Donnie that there was someone else who needed the cure more than he did and encuraged him to attempt to restore Timothy's humanity.

As it stood whenever they had Retromutagen there was always someone else who needes the cure more than Timothy.

Next time they had retromutagen, Karai needs it. Timmy will get the next batch.

Oh wait, the City has been mutated, they need it more. We'll give Tim the next batch.

Oh wait...no, we have Super Shredder on a rampage, we need to use retromutagen on him first. We'll get to Timothy eventually.

CyberCubed
03-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Just curious, where is the quote from Ciro where he said Mutagen Man was supposed to have a role in Season 2? Seems really weird that we're 3 seasons later and they did nothing with him.

It's quite possible they originally planned an episode for Mutagen Man back in Season 2 and it was scraped for whatever reason.

ABrown
03-18-2017, 07:18 PM
While currently re-watching the space-travel arc

"Re-watching the space-travel arc"??? Talk about a "missed opportunity". You missed the opportunity to do just about ANYTHING else with your spare time.

But seriously, I can't believe how unbearable the space arc was. And then the second half of the season was among the best episodes that the show has featured. Now THAT's a missed opportunity.

victory_angel
03-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Just curious, where is the quote from Ciro where he said Mutagen Man was supposed to have a role in Season 2? Seems really weird that we're 3 seasons later and they did nothing with him.

It's quite possible they originally planned an episode for Mutagen Man back in Season 2 and it was scraped for whatever reason.

It was in some of his planning for season 2 that Mutagen Man would become a reoccurring villain in the season. Unfortunately, the actor who played Mutagen Man had to leave the show because he was voicing Sonic the Hedgehog, so they just kept Timothy on Ice until further notice.

sdp
03-18-2017, 07:54 PM
No episode was called adventures on turtle sitting.

Huge missed opportunity ty of continuing the tradition.

CyberCubed
03-18-2017, 07:56 PM
"Re-watching the space-travel arc"??? Talk about a "missed opportunity". You missed the opportunity to do just about ANYTHING else with your spare time.

But seriously, I can't believe how unbearable the space arc was. And then the second half of the season was among the best episodes that the show has featured. Now THAT's a missed opportunity.

You're joking right? The space arc had many great episodes that were enjoyable.

Jephael
03-19-2017, 11:19 AM
You missed the opportunity to do just about ANYTHING else with your spare time.

Hey, that's your opinion. Though to be fair, I was kinda multi-tasking as it was playing. I got my laptop set up in my living room and I can watch TV from my table, so I can tune out during episodes I might not find as engaging.

GoldMutant
03-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Hes still doing better than Mikey, seriously at this point April is a more of a main character than Mikey hell her hair is basically orange.

Missed this before but I still disagree. In terms of character moments, Mikey seems to have more, even if some are from the filler episodes. Character episode wise, Raph has the least of the four Turtles. Both of their respective treatments though are subjective; I expect one decent Mikey episode before the show closes, I hope it can occur.

I think one of the bigger missed opportunities was the whole Kraang takeover after The Invasion. I mentioned it before but after Northampton, the pacing for it was extremely off. It was more of just reintroducing the Foot into the fray; heck, the Kraang influence was barely there outside brief appearances in Return to New York and Serpent Hunt.

Personally, I wish at least two of the Northampton episodes were removed. My choices being Eye of the Chimera and The Croaking. If those 8 episodes were more of preparations to counterattack alongside having some wacky events (ex: Dream Beavers) and possibly had a New York episode centering around the Mutanimals' formation, it'd be more excusable for me.

Same goes for the space arc. Improve some elements while making it more like an epic space opera and it could be more enjoyable. I like select episodes from it and the fourth season, but the overall quality is so-so.

Andrew NDB
03-19-2017, 02:13 PM
It was in some of his planning for season 2 that Mutagen Man would become a reoccurring villain in the season. Unfortunately, the actor who played Mutagen Man had to leave the show because he was voicing Sonic the Hedgehog, so they just kept Timothy on Ice until further notice.

Is that true? Are voice acting schedules for 2 concurrent half hour shows so demanding that you can only choose one? It's not like Ciro's show hasn't accommodated actors' schedules before and playing Mutagen Man in a handful more episodes (which I... kind of doubt they even wanted to do?) hardly seems like a grueling gig.

ToTheNines
03-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Is that true? Are voice acting schedules for 2 concurrent half hour shows so demanding that you can only choose one?

I know voice actors try to keep their schedules full Monday-Friday, and TMNT always records on Monday, so perhaps Sonic did too and he chose that.

Then again, he's not a series regular. So I don't see why he couldn't have come in on another to record his 1 or 2 episodes. Some of the people never come in, and just record from their house or wherever they can.

GoldMutant
03-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Is that true? Are voice acting schedules for 2 concurrent half hour shows so demanding that you can only choose one?

I think it may depend on the shows or the actors.

Roger though hasn't just voiced Sonic, even if his most prolific role currently. He has voiced Captain America in the Marvel Animated Universe shows for a bit, various characters in the 2016 Powerpuff Girls series, and some characters in Pickle & Peanut.

It doesn't make sense either way and hard to judge. They couldn't have hired an imitator like James Sie for Jackie Chan Adventures as the titular character?

ToTheNines
03-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Yeah, Mutagen Man's voice is heavily modified. They could have replaced him just like they did Kraang-Prime, and no one would have noticed.

Andrew NDB
03-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Yeah, Mutagen Man's voice is heavily modified. They could have replaced him just like they did Kraang-Prime, and no one would have noticed.

That too. I'm not buying this.

ToTheNines
03-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Mhm. They've recast ****ing Leonardo, of all characters, twice. The world does not revolve around Roger Craig Smith.

CyberCubed
03-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Who voices Newtralizer? Could that lack of a VA also why Newtralizer had such a long absence from Season 2 to 5?

I also know Spiderbitez disappeared because of his VA too but nobody cares there because well...it's Spiderbitez.

victory_angel
03-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Who voices Newtralizer? Could that lack of a VA also why Newtralizer had such a long absence from Season 2 to 5?

I also know Spiderbitez disappeared because of his VA too but nobody cares there because well...it's Spiderbitez.

Danny Trejo voices the newtralizer

Lewis Black voiced Spiderbitez

Both of these guys are high end actors and are too expensive to have regularly. Episode budget is also is depends on what actors they can contract and afford

Andrew NDB
03-20-2017, 01:49 PM

It's just... hard to visualize. I'm sure they plan out a season in advance, write all the scripts, do pre-vis, all that stuff. You plan out these future episodes with Mutagen Man (or WHOEVER), all that. They do all that stuff, and suddenly, somehow the voice actor can't come so... they just axe the episodes entirely? You kind of scramble about then, quickly make new episodes instead from the ground up?

I mean, that can't be the way the business works. It isn't. That's not even a viable business model.

I could see, maybe, Ciro had some ideas for new Mutagen Man or Newtralizer he wanted to do, ran them by Nick and they just said "No." Or maybe he pitches 40 episodes for a season, which would include extra Mutagen Man or Newtralizer, with the knowledge that only 22 of those will get picked up (beyond the obligatory "premiere" and "conclusion" episode)... and none of the ones with Mutagen Man or Newtralizer were chosen.

CyberCubed
03-20-2017, 03:14 PM
The other thing is why not recast them with new actors since they're minor characters? It's not like kids are going to notice or care about a different voice for a random mutant.

They recasted Leonardo from Jason Biggs to Seth Green of all people, one of the major characters of the show with two high profile actors. So I'm sure they could recast some minor recurring characters like Newtralizer, Mutagen Man, etc.

victory_angel
03-20-2017, 04:49 PM
The other thing is why not recast them with new actors since they're minor characters? It's not like kids are going to notice or care about a different voice for a random mutant.

They recasted Leonardo from Jason Biggs to Seth Green of all people, one of the major characters of the show with two high profile actors. So I'm sure they could recast some minor recurring characters like Newtralizer, Mutagen Man, etc.+

Nick dropping Jason Biggs as Leo was for a different situation.

Danny Trejo and Lewis Black are both high end celebrities and Nick can't add them to budget on a regular basis.

ROdger Craig Smith could possibly have broke contract with Nick and that's why they no longer use his character.

Andrew NDB
03-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Danny Trejo and Lewis Black are both high end celebrities

No they're not.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-20-2017, 05:00 PM
No they're not.

Nah, but they're both probably EXPENSIVE celebrities. :twink:

victory_angel
03-20-2017, 05:22 PM
No they're not.

Lewis Black is an A-list comedian

PApagreg
03-20-2017, 06:45 PM
You know its a damn shame we didn't see monkey brains and rat king confront each other after Monkey Brains became more intelligent.

ToTheNines
03-20-2017, 07:05 PM
You know its a damn shame we didn't see monkey brains and rat king confront each other after Monkey Brains became more intelligent.

Written by Kenny Byerly:

http://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/assets/TMNT-Animated-08_Cover-RI.jpg

CyberCubed
03-20-2017, 07:12 PM

Read the Nick comics.

They utilize some of the other characters more. We see Baxter and Spiderbitez team up in an issue, we see the Punk Frogs come to NY, another Muckman story, more Foot Clan fights, etc.

In my mind they are canon to the show and nobody can tell me otherwise.

DestronMirage22
03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
The comics raise the question then, what stopped them from using certain characters like Mutagen Man or Newtralizer and having stories that involved them, if they weren't gonna be used in the actual show? There'd be no problems with the VA's being available. Such a waste those comics turned out to be. They had the opportunity to fix on the show's mess-ups, and instead they just spat out boring story after boring story.

ToTheNines
03-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I was pretty bummed when Byerly stopped writing for it. They just wanted to to tell innocuous stories that didn't step on the toes of the show's continuity. It shined when they cut loose and didn't worry about that stuff though, like the Zodiac story, the current Batman crossover, etc.

CyberCubed
03-20-2017, 07:58 PM
They were probably told the Nick comics couldn't contradict any important continuity of the show or do anything major with Shredder (he's left out of almost all the Nick comics but a few), so they couldn't go full Archie with them and do their own thing.

There's still some good stories in them, even if they're all essentially "filler" stories. As said the Rat King Vs. Monkey Brains issue is one of the best and was just like an episode of the show.

Chris
03-20-2017, 08:04 PM
I'd love them to be able to go full Archie next year once the show's over but sadly with the show ending the comic likely will as well. But it would be fantastic if they did a post show comic where they could really do anything they wanted and be the main narrative rather than just telling side stories (fun as some are)

Andrew NDB
03-20-2017, 08:12 PM
I'd love them to be able to go full Archie next year once the show's over but sadly with the show ending the comic likely will as well. But it would be fantastic if they did a post show comic where they could really do anything they wanted and be the main narrative rather than just telling side stories (fun as some are)

Doesn't look like the readership is there for that.

ssjup81
03-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Yeah, it is a shame that they didn’t have Rat King and Rockwell meet up again in the show. That would’ve been an interesting meet up. Sucks Rat King wasn’t around more in general.

It still seems like the show is trying not to use too many of the characters that are featured heavily in the IDW comics…like the Mutanimals.

DestronMirage22
03-20-2017, 08:30 PM
It still seems like the show is trying not to use too many of the characters that are featured heavily in the IDW comics…like the Mutanimals.

I doubt that there would be any issues regarding the use of those characters. I mean, the IDW comics aren't mainstream and I can't imagine any negative affects from them both using the same characters at the same time. They've done it before in the past. They probably aren't using those characters because they forgot about them or serve no purpose for whatever stories they're trying to come up with.

Andrew NDB
03-20-2017, 08:51 PM

I seriously doubt the IDW stuff is much on Ciro's team's radar beyond notes that get passed to theme from up above (i.e., Alopex).

ssjup81
03-20-2017, 09:15 PM
I seriously doubt the IDW stuff is much on Ciro's team's radar beyond notes that get passed to theme from up above (i.e., Alopex).The Nick series started to faze out Pigeon Pete in favor of Mondo Gecko…a reimagined character from the past (Archie/OT). I know Nick used Pigeon Pete first and then IDW started using him, but it’s still weird. It’s like the two series on both sides don’t want to use certain characters a lot for their mediums since they're running concurrently. Like I said, it seems to be that way, not saying that it definitely is. Just speculation.

CyberCubed
03-20-2017, 09:48 PM
IDW and Nick use exactly the same characters, just not the new characters introduced for either series. So for example Old Hob won't appear in the Nick cartoon, and characters like Snakeweed, Fishface and Tiger Claw won't appear in IDW.

The only exception is Alopex so far, but she's practically a Ninjara expy anyway. Even moreso now since the Nick cartoon gave her brown fur like Ninjara instead of an Arctic white fox like the IDW version.

Jephael
03-21-2017, 12:16 PM

I must be the only person in the fandom who actually liked that character. Then again, he was played by Lewis friggin Black!!! That guy's a comedy legend!!!

CyberCubed
03-21-2017, 02:28 PM
A lot of the Nick mutants were just one and done monsters. The only exceptions were the ones who worked for Shredder like Tiger Claw, Fishface, and the old characters like Bebop/Rocksteady, Rahzar and Baxter Stockman.

Newtralizer had the most potential to be developed but he literally disappeared after Season 2 until now, at least we know he's in a Season 5 episode.

Aaronardo
03-21-2017, 05:10 PM
The biggest missed opportunity for me was Tiger Claw's potential character arc. I know I wasn't the only one seeing foreshadowing for Tiger Claw betraying Shredder starting at the end of Season 2. It was one of the only parts of Season 3 that got me somewhat excited.

Think of it, starting with Vengeance is Mine, where Tiger Claw is in disbelief that Shredder would put his own daughter's life on the line in the name of revenge ("You are more ruthless than I thought... mutating your own cub..!"), and then talking back, defying Shredder even, after Karai is mutated. You don't see him again until the opening scene of The Invasion, where we get another sign of Shredder's increased obsession and even insanity ("Nor do I (care for the human race)"). In the same scene, we see Tiger Claw thinking outwardly once again.

As the show continued, we saw relatively little of Tiger Claw in Season 3, but his two biggest roles certainly continued this trend. In Return to New York, he questioned Shredder as to why their alliance with The Kraang continued after their enemies were defeated, and in a rather alarmed tone. Finally, in Annihilation: Earth, after Shredder killed Splinter in favor of saving the world from being sucked into a black hole, Tiger Claw blatantly calls him out on it ("Shredder! What have you done?!").

Now, obviously, because of the way the series played out, those final events of Annihilation: Earth didn't even happen, and so Tiger Claw being pushed to the edge at that point didn't really happen. But all the foreshadowing before was still there.

I could just be seeing things that aren't there, but this sounds a lot like foreshadowing a plotline where Tiger Claw gradually realizes Shredder's increasing obsession and insanity and betrays/leaves him, still, however, an enemy of the Turtles. But clearly, in Season 4, he acted more like a mindless servant to Shredder and in Season 5 is trying to bring him back from the dead. Completely missed potential for a great plotline that could've made Tiger Claw an especially unforgettable character.

Also, unpopular opinion that really is just a nitpick, but they missed out on the opportunity to recast Leo as ANYONE but Seth Green.

PApagreg
03-22-2017, 03:20 PM
The biggest missed opportunity for me was Tiger Claw's potential character arc. I know I wasn't the only one seeing foreshadowing for Tiger Claw betraying Shredder starting at the end of Season 2. It was one of the only parts of Season 3 that got me somewhat excited.

Think of it, starting with Vengeance is Mine, where Tiger Claw is in disbelief that Shredder would put his own daughter's life on the line in the name of revenge ("You are more ruthless than I thought... mutating your own cub..!"), and then talking back, defying Shredder even, after Karai is mutated. You don't see him again until the opening scene of The Invasion, where we get another sign of Shredder's increased obsession and even insanity ("Nor do I (care for the human race)"). In the same scene, we see Tiger Claw thinking outwardly once again.

As the show continued, we saw relatively little of Tiger Claw in Season 3, but his two biggest roles certainly continued this trend. In Return to New York, he questioned Shredder as to why their alliance with The Kraang continued after their enemies were defeated, and in a rather alarmed tone. Finally, in Annihilation: Earth, after Shredder killed Splinter in favor of saving the world from being sucked into a black hole, Tiger Claw blatantly calls him out on it ("Shredder! What have you done?!").

Now, obviously, because of the way the series played out, those final events of Annihilation: Earth didn't even happen, and so Tiger Claw being pushed to the edge at that point didn't really happen. But all the foreshadowing before was still there.

I could just be seeing things that aren't there, but this sounds a lot like foreshadowing a plotline where Tiger Claw gradually realizes Shredder's increasing obsession and insanity and betrays/leaves him, still, however, an enemy of the Turtles. But clearly, in Season 4, he acted more like a mindless servant to Shredder and in Season 5 is trying to bring him back from the dead. Completely missed potential for a great plotline that could've made Tiger Claw an especially unforgettable character.

Also, unpopular opinion that really is just a nitpick, but they missed out on the opportunity to recast Leo as ANYONE but Seth Green.

Honestly thats one of my problems with this series is that a lot of the villains show a lot of promise and potential but end up being underused. Xever was a character with a lot of personality and had a rivalry with Raph that both had aspects of understanding and contempt but was later underused after season 1, Baxter showed that he could work independent in Baxter's Gambit and could be this series's Arcade but was later turned into one of Shredder's b%tches. Hell Bradford probably has an interesting history with the Shredder but we never got to see that.

ssjup81
03-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Honestly thats one of my problems with this series is that a lot of the villains show a lot of promise and potential but end up being underused. Xever was a character with a lot of personality and had a rivalry with Raph that both had aspects of understanding and contempt but was later underused after season 1, Baxter showed that he could work independent in Baxter's Gambit and could be this series's Arcade but was later turned into one of Shredder's b%tches. Hell Bradford probably has an interesting history with the Shredder but we never got to see that.I agree with this. I was definitely expecting more with Tigerclaw and his eventual turn on Shredder after realizing he wasn't all that stable. I also expected more with Xever.

As for Baxter he really seemed to develop Stockholm Syndrome...or should I say, "Stockman" Syndrome?

*dodges rotten fruit being thrown * :-P

Metalwolf
03-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Honestly thats one of my problems with this series is that a lot of the villains show a lot of promise and potential but end up being underused. Xever was a character with a lot of personality and had a rivalry with Raph that both had aspects of understanding and contempt but was later underused after season 1, Baxter showed that he could work independent in Baxter's Gambit and could be this series's Arcade but was later turned into one of Shredder's b%tches. Hell Bradford probably has an interesting history with the Shredder but we never got to see that.

I agree with this. I was definitely expecting more with Tigerclaw and his eventual turn on Shredder after realizing he wasn't all that stable. I also expected more with Xever.

As for Baxter he really seemed to develop Stockholm Syndrome...or should I say, "Stockman" Syndrome?

*dodges rotten fruit being thrown * :-PSame here. The lack of delivery on what seemed a promise on the villains was the thing that started my declining interest in this show. So much potential, and then... nothing. I mean, half of the fun is watching the Turtles go up against dangerous and interesting villains, because all that eventually happened was that they went against guys who were reduced to generic monster henchmen with little personality beyond serving the Shredder.

ToTheNines
03-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Oh I got one. The bigger of the 3 Purple Dragons name is Sid. I thought they were gonna have him be Casey's infamous cousin from the comics. But they didn't.

PApagreg
03-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Oh I got one. The bigger of the 3 Purple Dragons name is Sid. I thought they were gonna have him be Casey's infamous cousin from the comics. But they didn't.

So Casey is part asian?

ToTheNines
03-23-2017, 07:03 PM
No, but Sid could have been half.

Tetsu Deinonychus
03-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Hey guys,
- I wish that more characters appeared such as Ace Duck (who has been a personal fav), Jagwar, Dreadmon, Man Ray, Maligna, Null, The Uncanny Trio, Shaun O'Hair, Al'falqua, Katmandu, Golani, Scumbug, Dirtbag, Groundchuck, Bookworm, Verminator X, Vid Vicious, Stump & Sling, Cudley the Cowlick.

- I wish that this series adapted more Archie. It's great we got Armaggon. But where was the powerful mutant shark I knew and loved from the comics? I would have loved to see a Dimension X arc with Kraang, Utoms, Dregg and Maligna battling it out. You have thirteen episodes in space and you don't use Stump Asteroid, Stump and Sling and Cudley the Cowlick? I loved how Archie explored the world. The world building was really spectacular, we could have gone to South America and met Jagwar and Dreadmon, Japan and explored more of Saki and Yoshi and met the Warrior Dragon, explored more of Tiger Claw and Alopex. And so much more!

I agree with all of these. Although, I think Nick Armaggon and Bellybomb were close enough to their Archie versions (Mondo would be too, if he had Candy Fine, I think having a GF added a much needed dimension to his character), and I like Nick Slash, Wingnut, and Screwloose even if I prefer the Archie versions.

It's a real shame that the Archie series is so overlooked. I'd say it defined the "classic era" of TMNT just as much as the Mirage comics and FW show. I mean think about all the classic characters, concepts, and images that are iconic to the franchise as a whole, but either didn't exist or barely existed in either Mirage or FW. Man Ray, Wingnut and Screwloose, Stump Wrestling costumes, Maligna, The Turnstone, Cudley, to name a few.

I mean Mirage was the original source material, but back then it was always kept separate from the rest of the franchise (I guess to keep it "pure" of cartoon influence). And, FW was the best known, but only because TV shows simply reach more people than comic books, and the Mirage crew didn't play that big a part in it. But, judging by how much all the magazine comics, newspaper strips, and website character profiles took their cues from Archie, it seems like that was the "main" continuity for the "kid's toy franchise" side of TMNT.

Anyway, I also wish the nick show could have put the mutants and aliens aside more often and had more "down to earth" urban martial arts storylines. And, I wish they kept the foot clan human longer instead of letting it all turn to mutants and robots.

CyberCubed
03-25-2017, 12:32 PM
I don't want to spoil anything, but it seems like Tiger Claw and Fishface are getting development in this season.

Jephael
03-29-2017, 07:51 AM
Here's a one I thought about while re-watching the Super Shredder storyarc.

WARNING: Major spoilers... and not just for this show.

What if instead of Splinter dying from being stabbed by Shredder exactly the same way it happened at the end of season 3, Splinter died of heart failure or being over stressed from the fight? I know it's cliche, but I feel like it would've made a lot more sense. Plus hey it worked in this iconic scene from Smallville:

2eyJQs9tqqo

Of course they would've had to established throughout the show that Splinter was having similar health issues as it was with Jonathan Kent.

MarsicornYT
05-04-2017, 06:06 AM
I would have loved it if the foot elite ninjas were not robots.

Andrew NDB
05-04-2017, 10:58 AM
I mean Mirage was the original source material, but back then it was always kept separate from the rest of the franchise (I guess to keep it "pure" of cartoon influence).

"Insulated" from the rest of the franchise is a better way to look at it.

Though I would have loved to have seen an Archie/Mirage crossover at one point. That was even the plan once, Laird had some covers from it he posted a long while back. Another missed opportunity.

Coola Yagami
05-04-2017, 11:07 PM
"Insulated" from the rest of the franchise is a better way to look at it.

Though I would have loved to have seen an Archie/Mirage crossover at one point. That was even the plan once, Laird had some covers from it he posted a long while back. Another missed opportunity.

.... how would that have went down?

2K3
05-05-2017, 06:34 AM
After re-watching the four seasons of TMNT 2012, my biggest gripe is that something went wrong after all the Season 1 writers left.. No offence to Brandon Auman and other writers, but outside of episodes written by Nicole Dubac, Christopher Yost, and Greg Weisman, some of the episodes felt too episodic and less connected to a main plot, and if it did something felt missing.

I'd have loved for the following plot-lines to have been explored:

1) More mystery to April's Mother and the family's connection to the Kraang.
2) More episodes focused on Rahzar and Fishface, who just seemed to vanish pass Season 2.
3) Tiger Claw's backstory should have been explored sooner, and his loyalty to the Shredder should have been tested in Season 4, especially considering his disgust in Saki killing Splinter and dooming everyone.
4) The Mighty Mutanimals should have been introduced sooner in my opinion; I think the events of "Metalhead Rewired" in Season 2 would have been the perfect introduction to the team (as most of them were kidnapped by the Kraang). Plus, Mutagen Man should join the team (I mean, they're not doing anything with him).
5) Certain Story arcs, such as Karai's Mutation, Northampton, and Turtles in Space went on for too long and should have been shortened down.
6) Less homages to past characters in other series; I was cool with Bebop and Rocksteady, the Mutanimals and Muckman I was cool with... but the Punk Frogs, Shredder Mutants, Neutrinos, Wingnut and Screwloose served no purpose but to just say "Remember these characters".

PApagreg
05-05-2017, 08:47 PM
I'd have loved for the following plot-lines to have been explored:

1) More mystery to April's Mother and the family's connection to the Kraang.

Its kinda weird that during seasons 1 & 2 April's backstory was treated as this big thing but after the Northampton arc the writers just forgot about it and instead gave April new powers.

CyberCubed
05-05-2017, 08:48 PM
April's powers were literally the result of that backstory. It's been a while since I've watched those episodes so I may not be remembering everything, but I'm pretty sure the first time she used her powers it was directly related to her Kraang backstory.

FredWolfLeonardo
05-05-2017, 10:08 PM
As far as I know, Aprils backstory was fully explained. The only thing we haven't seen is her real mother who was missing since the beginning of the series.

victory_angel
05-06-2017, 04:18 AM
April's powers were literally the result of that backstory. It's been a while since I've watched those episodes so I may not be remembering everything, but I'm pretty sure the first time she used her powers it was directly related to her Kraang backstory.

All that was basically explained is that April is a human with Kraang DNA.

The way Kurtzman told the story is that April's mother was experimented on before April herself was born. It's unclear if this was while April was in utero or before she was conceived.

Mom thing explained that a Kraang ship had crashed in the Northampton area and April's maternal great grandfather built a house on top of it and later found said ship. The Kraang then proceeded to experiment on him and his children and their descendants because they realized they had the DNA strand needed to take over the Earth.

When April was born, her mother knew April would be special. She and Kirby went to great efforts to protect April from the Kraang. Eventually, they were found and during the escape, April's mother was supposedly captured and possibly killed.

It could always be possible that April's mother never existed. There is a theory in another thread about this possibility.

Before I go into this headcanon, I do know there is a photo of a woman who is supposedly April's mother.

When they were being abducted during "Rise of the Turtles" Kirby doesn't seem all that surprised about what's going on.

Kirby also doesn't look like he is suffering all that much while in the Kraang prison facility. I know it's a kids show, but a human in those conditions would be pale, gaunt and rather unkempt.

It's also rather odd the Kraang would keep Kirby alive when the Kraang didn't really need him. Once they had April and Kirby, Kirby easily could have been killed off because he wasn't needed. Even when April was rescued the Kraang didn't seem to have much reason to keep Kirby alive.

Also, it's mentioned in "Rise of the Turtles" that the Kraang were kidnapping scientists all over the city, and we never see any of them. In TCRI April's father is a psychologist, which is pointed out as being odd since the Kraang were trying to perfect the Mutagen. And that's where it is revealed that they weren't after Kirby, they were after April.

So what if Kirby originally worked for the Kraang. Kirby could have been partnered with a nameless female scientist creating a human/kraang hybrid. In other words a test tube baby, it is possible the memories of her mother are implanted. Or April just generally assumed this woman was her mother.

Kirby being a psychologist would study thought and behavior. So while some of his DNA could have been used in April's creation, his main job was to oversee and monitor her until she was ready to be delivered to the Kraang.

Since he would have some training in medicine, he could prevent people from learning that April wasn't human by forging medical information for when she entered school or went to summer camp or something like that.

Over the course of looking after her, he may have developed honest paternal feelings for April. Either that or the female person that Kirby is partnered with may begun seeing April as her daugher and learns the Kraang's purpose for creating her. She then wants to protect April at all cost and convinces Kirby to help her.

Andrew NDB
05-06-2017, 04:36 AM

.... how would that have went down?

If you dig back in his TMNT blog you can see the art he did for it. If I recall correctly, the art showed Kirby in a giant spaceship, and Laird explained in the description that in the story, Kirby would use the ship with the Mirage Turtles to go and visit the Archie Turtles. Nothing was mentioned about the why, or what or who the villain would be.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
05-28-2017, 07:54 AM
An international travel arc on Earth would be great!