PDA

View Full Version : VENOM Movie Coming From Sony - Not A Joke!

Pages : [1] 2

TheSkeletonMan939
03-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Sony has tapped Dante Harper to pen a script for Venom, something that is being envisioned as a franchise apart from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movie in the works with actor Tom Holland.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, among stewards of the Spider-Man properties, are producing and overseeing the project....

... This Venom is meant to not only stand on its own but to also launch its own franchise.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-spinoff-venom-revived-872844

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Dumbledore-Shakes-His-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

The Deadman
03-16-2017, 04:23 PM
Wasnt this rumored since the Amazing Spiderman films?

MikeandRaph87
03-16-2017, 04:26 PM
In other words it has a new writer to write a new script for a project that has been in development hell before Tobey and Sam ever walked away.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-16-2017, 04:26 PM
Since effin' Spider-Man 3. I'm shocked that after the deal with Marvel, it's still happening. And here I'd thought we'd dodged a bullet.

Candy Kappa
03-16-2017, 04:27 PM
It's right around the corner, next to the Sinister Six movie

THGhost
03-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Makes sense that it's still being made. Venom is an awesome character and it'd be great to see him done properly on the big screen.

snake
03-16-2017, 04:40 PM
lol, I'll eat a f*cking hat if this actually comes out.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-16-2017, 04:45 PM
According to comicbookmovie.com it has a release date
Didn't link to that though as there's no source.

Andrew NDB
03-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Maybe it's kind of intended to be to the MCU what Deadpool is to, like, the Bryan Singerverse.

ToTheNines
03-16-2017, 04:49 PM
They'll get Topher Grace back and make Aunt May the villain.

TurtleTitan97
03-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Talk about pointless.

ProphetofGanja
03-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Wow, Sony's shitshow is going to spread to the MCU? What an awful idea.

Venom is a great character, but I really don't know how well he could really work in a movie

NinjaPug
03-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Rushing a Venom movie that isn't connected to your Spider-Man movie without a director attached into prodcution? Lol, you do you Sony.

oldmanwinters
03-16-2017, 07:42 PM
DC gave this a try with Catwoman.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Here's something I was waiting for confirmation on: it's coming out next year.

Spider-Man’s nemesis, sharp of fang, flexible of morals, will get his own adventure, Sony said on Thursday. The spin-off film will swing into theaters on Oct. 5, 2018...

The release shuffle took place hours after Warner Bros. moved “Aquaman” from its Oct. 5 to Dec. 21, 2018. The studio was filling a holiday season hole left by “Avatar 2’s” delays.

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/venom-girl-in-the-spiders-web-1202010562/

I think this indicates that the film is essentially being fast-tracked to the big screen. I wonder if that means there's real worry at Sony as to whether they'll even maintain their status as a major studio within a few years. The Emoji Movie certainly won't be a smash hit (at least I'm pretty sure of that).

NinjaPug
03-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Sony and Paramount are both disasters.

snake
03-16-2017, 08:21 PM
NEXT YEAR? There's no way this won't get pushed back. I'm hoping that it's a fun train wreck like ASM2.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-16-2017, 08:25 PM
This will crash and burn. This will be hilarious.

Sony, Sony, Sony...

MikeandRaph87
03-16-2017, 08:32 PM
This will crash and burn. This will be hilarious.

Sony, Sony, Sony...

Venom is my favorite Marvel villain so I want it to succeed. I just don't want it be a joke like Catwoman where it is the character in name only.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-16-2017, 09:07 PM
My knowledge of Venom extends to the early nineties... there was this really weird time in between his making a truce with Spidey, and the "Maxinum Carnage" event, where he moved to LA and joined a group of underground hobos. That was bizarre; I hope they don't draw any inspiration from that. :/

DestronMirage22
03-16-2017, 10:59 PM
Oh ****, they for real?! :eek:
This'll be a trip. More likely than not it'll stink, but here's hoping they actually do decently. I also hope they don't take any influence from Agent Venom or Venom: Spaceknight. Agent was ok, but I found Space Knight to be incredibly stupid, but I don't think they should go those routes because they weren't exactly the best fit for the character.

Also, I've always kinda wanted a scene like this in a hypothetical Venom movie: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/3/36/Spider-Man_Reign_Vol_1_4.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070409111839

ProphetofGanja
03-17-2017, 06:47 AM
This whole trend of studio execs deciding when to release a movie before they tap a director, cast any actors, or even write a script really needs to die.

The Deadman
03-17-2017, 12:06 PM
So uhh...here we go with fan theories

Is ‘Life’ a Prequel to Sony’s ‘Spider-Man’ Spinoff, ‘Venom’?! (http://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/3428543/life-prequel-sonys-spider-man-spinoff-venom/)

snake
03-17-2017, 12:19 PM
That would be clever and fun. I hope it is.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Neat idea. Sounds too clever for Sony though. Everything they've done is so in-your-face.

ProphetofGanja
03-17-2017, 01:30 PM
Neat idea. Sounds too clever for Sony though. Everything they've done is so in-your-face.

Because it would be a neat idea we can pretty much rule it out. That's Sony for ya

TheSkeletonMan939
03-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Plus, if they were being so (relatively) meticulous about making a Venom prequel without any immediate reference to the character, they really wouldn't be pulling this "we'll make a real Venom movie literally in less than two years!" BS. They'd actually be trying.

ToTheNines
03-18-2017, 09:46 AM
**** Sony either way. I mean, it'd be kinda cool if they were ripping off Spectacular Spider-Man here and spun it off from there, but I don't see them actually doing it.

Just pisses me off that Spidey is literally going to space (or at least being exposed to aliens) in IW and maybe again in A4. Seems like a great time to introduce the symbiote, and be more in line with the comics. Then have Peter deal with and lose the symbiote on Homecoming 2/2019, and then make your stupid ass solo Venom movie no one cares about in 2020 and let the MCU use him if they see fit.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-18-2017, 11:08 AM
That- would actually be pretty cool.

sdp
03-18-2017, 12:23 PM
I love Venom and I hope this movie comes out, I think no matter what they come out with I would enjoy it, even the poorly handled Spider-Man 3 Venom was fine by me.

Now I hope they go full Venom with it and have it reek of the 90s in full anti-hero "Lethal Enforcer" rated R movie now that Logan and Deadpool have proven people like that even if it would in no way compare to those movies.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-18-2017, 12:49 PM
Cool idea but the risk is too high. Deadpool was a fluke in terms of its success.
Sony's main goal here is to make some much-needed money. I don't think they've had a good, solid hit in years now. PG-13 is the most profitable route they could take.

retr0pia75
03-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Yeah, this is going to suck.

ProphetofGanja
03-18-2017, 02:19 PM
**** Sony either way. I mean, it'd be kinda cool if they were ripping off Spectacular Spider-Man here and spun it off from there, but I don't see them actually doing it.

Just pisses me off that Spidey is literally going to space (or at least being exposed to aliens) in IW and maybe again in A4. Seems like a great time to introduce the symbiote, and be more in line with the comics. Then have Peter deal with and lose the symbiote on Homecoming 2/2019, and then make your stupid ass solo Venom movie no one cares about in 2020 and let the MCU use him if they see fit.

Yeah, I really wish Marvel Studios could regain absolute control over the movie rights to Spidey, the Fantastic Four, and whoever else they sold (I know the X-Men are included in this but I'm not that concerned with them as far as inclusion in the MCU goes, because I feel it's hard to achieve the allusion to the civil rights movement that their comics originally evoked when you've got superheros adored by the public running around in the same setting; in my opinion they work best in a setting without other superheroes)

I feel like the MCU could do a decent riff on the original Secret Wars storyline as their next "big" plot point after Thanos

ToTheNines
03-18-2017, 07:21 PM
Agreed about xmen. I'm glad Marvel dosen't have them, I just wish Fox wasn't so bad at them. I would dig it if Marvel got to use Wolverine though. No one else.

Secret Wars could be cool. Definitely need Doom for that.

ToTheNines
03-22-2017, 05:37 PM
And now they want to make a Silver Sable/Black Cat movie...

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/another-spider-man-spin-off-in-the-works-as-sony-gets-thor-ragnarok-scribe-for-black-cat-silver-sable-movie-a149815

MikeandRaph87
03-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Why won't Sony give up? Once Sam Raimi and Tobey Maquire walked they lost quality that cannot be replicated. It hasn't been the same since and its not going to be.

NinjaPug
03-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Go home Sony, you're drunk.

I love Chris Yost but this is so stupid. Why create a Spider-Man movie universe that isn't connected to your main Spider-Man movie?

TheSkeletonMan939
03-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Like oldmanwinters said, sounds like they're doing exactly what WB did with Catwoman. Unbelievable.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-22-2017, 06:50 PM

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/another-spider-man-spin-off-in-the-works-as-sony-gets-thor-ragnarok-scribe-for-black-cat-silver-sable-movie-a149815

TTN beat me to the news.

Sony had ONE chance at redemption. And now they're going to frak up the Spiderman 'verse as quickly and as forcefully as possible. :tlol: :tlol:

What was the point of making a deal with Marvel if they're going right back to their original patented "throw-sh!t-at-the-wall" plan? :tlol:

ProphetofGanja
03-22-2017, 07:13 PM
Agreed about xmen. I'm glad Marvel dosen't have them, I just wish Fox wasn't so bad at them. I would dig it if Marvel got to use Wolverine though. No one else.

Secret Wars could be cool. Definitely need Doom for that.

Mannnn, I forgot just how many character rights Marvel sold off. I was reading Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars the other day, a kind-of comedic retconning of the original Secret Wars, and I was getting all these nostalgic feels for the classic. It's such a relic of its time, it would have to be thoroughly updated and re-worked, just for dialogue and plot points alone, not even considering how many characters that appeared in it that Marvel can't currently use. Oh well. We got Age of Ultron, Civil War, and soon Infinity War. I wonder what big "event" storyline they'll adapt next.

Go home Sony, you're drunk.

I love Chris Yost but this is so stupid. Why create a Spider-Man movie universe that isn't connected to your main Spider-Man movie?

:lol: well said. it just reeks of money-grabbing desperation, especially with the confirmation that none of these movies will be connected to the MCU in any way. it's just like, why???

DestronMirage22
03-22-2017, 10:54 PM

Ok, now they're just being idiotic.

Also I've been thinking a lot about this potential Venom movie, and I gotta say: I'd love it if it were a part of the same universe from the original Sam Raimi trilogy. I actually liked those movies quite a bit despite their flaws, and would like to see them get revisited in some way.

AT-Man
03-24-2017, 04:24 PM
I just hope it will be in the same MCU universe with Tom Holland, even if they wouldn't say a word about other super heroes. Just don't make them contradict each other, that would be enough.

Andrew NDB
03-24-2017, 04:27 PM
I just hope it will be in the same MCU universe with Tom Holland, even if they wouldn't say a word about other super heroes. Just don't make them contradict each other, that would be enough.

That's probably the general idea. And I bet Feige will be a producer in some capacity, as he was with Amazing Spider-Man 2.

ProphetofGanja
03-24-2017, 04:38 PM
That's probably the general idea. And I bet Feige will be a producer in some capacity, as he was with Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I thought they already said definitively that these movies are in no way, shape, or form tied to the MCU and Feige has zero involvement

Andrew NDB
03-24-2017, 04:40 PM
I thought they already said definitively that these movies are in no way, shape, or form tied to the MCU and Feige has zero involvement

I'm highly skeptical of that. It just wouldn't make sense. And what happens when Marvel wants to include Venom in a new Spider-man movie?

ProphetofGanja
03-24-2017, 05:01 PM
I'm highly skeptical of that. It just wouldn't make sense. And what happens when Marvel wants to include Venom in a new Spider-man movie?

Well, true, but nothing Sony is doing right now seems to make sense.

I would hope Marvel would just proceed full-steam ahead, ignoring whatever hot mess Sony had already made

The Deadman
03-27-2017, 12:57 PM
MARVEL has no creative freedom when it comes to the Spider-Man movie, Sony does, so if Sony wants Venom in the next Spider-Man movie, it'll happen.

Production Listing Suggests ‘Venom’ Will Be a Rated R Horror Film! (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3429704/production-listing-suggests-venom-will-horror-film/)

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 01:13 PM
So uhh...here we go with fan theories

Is ‘Life’ a Prequel to Sony’s ‘Spider-Man’ Spinoff, ‘Venom’?! (http://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/3428543/life-prequel-sonys-spider-man-spinoff-venom/)

I can confirm it is... definitely not a Venom prequel (no way the space manta ray is the symbiote... it doesn't take hosts, it just digests people from the inside out). It's also not particularly a great movie. Ending tried to be clever but was a cheat.

sdp
03-27-2017, 01:57 PM
If Sony went to Marvel for help with Spider-Man I doubt they'll be forcing stuff like Venom onto the films unless it's Marvel themselves that suggest it. I think they'll pretty much have these other movies be independent from Spider-Man and if they aren't then they'll let Marvel do their thing and they'll do theirs without pissing marvel off since they want money.

I'm fine with a bunch of Spider-Man spin-offs, other than X-Men the only other character who has a big enough cast of characters for spin-offs is Spider-Man since he's the most popular Marvel hero. I thought the original plan of the Spider-Man Cinematic Universe Sony was hoping with Amazing spider-man had potential but of course they messed it up.

Autbot_Benz
05-19-2017, 12:46 PM
Tom Hardy is Eddie Brock

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/19/venom-tom-hardy-to-star-zombieland-director-to-helm-for-2018-release

IGN can confirm Hardy's involvement as Brock in the film from Sony's Marvel Universe, which will be released on October 5, 2018. Production will start this fall.

Tom Hardy, who will star as Eddie Brock/Venom

Venom will be the first film debuting Sony's bid to build out its own Marvel Universe, despite Sony's unique deal with Marvel Studios to include Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is not a spinoff from the existing MCU films. Spider-Man: Homecoming director Jon Watts discussed how the films won't be connected earlier this year. And Sony's Marvel Universe will reportedly include a Black Cat/Silver Sable film.

Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, and Amy Pascal are producing the film, with Palak Patel and Eric Fineman overseeing for Columbia Pictures.
Venom: Sony Sets Release Date for Spider-Man Spinoff Movie
00:25

Sony set a release date for Venom earlier this year, revealing the long in-development project was back on track.

Reports have suggested that the film will be of the action, horror, and sci-fi genres

Developing...

Andrew NDB
05-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Maybe they'll keep the Venom movie pretty self-contained... not committing to make it a part of any universe in particular. Then if it's a hit, they can "lease" Venom to Marvel. If it's a flop, it can quietly go away and Sony-Marvel can make an MCU Venom proper.

Might be just a way to get around the Disney thing, because there's no way Disney is greenlighting any R-rated Marvel movies and they figure Venom needs that.

sdp
05-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Or maybe Sony will tell Marvel to p-ss off after their current deal finishes and they'll continue a new Spider-Man universe sans Marvel.

I'm excited for this, Venom is one of my favorite characters and yes I love me some 90s Spider-Man, it was my spider-man when I was growing up and it took me a while to warm up to a more "traditional" spider-man. This is fine by me, as I mentioned only Spider-Man and X-Men are big enough that they can handle their own universe by themselves without the need for others. I guess Fantastic Four as well.

Autbot_Benz
05-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Sony has failed 3 times with Spider-Man they don't deserve him anymore. 3 strikes and your out. If Venom fails Marvel should go get the rights back. Sony hasn't done well with franchises lately I mean look at ghostbusters

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-21-2017, 11:59 AM
I still don't believe this will actually happen.

I mean, Gambit claimed to have Channing Tatum and THAT still hasn't materialized a year or two later.

Whatever, Sony. Keep dreaming big and throwing money down a rat hole.

The Deadman
06-15-2017, 02:45 AM
‘Venom’ Will Not Be Part of the Marvel Universe; Shooting This Fall
http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3442079/venom-will-not-part-marvel-universe-shooting-fall/

Andrew NDB
06-15-2017, 09:45 AM
‘Venom’ Will Not Be Part of the Marvel Universe

The important part of the verbiage there is the "For now."

CyberCubed
06-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I don't see why it matters. Every new film is mostly standalone until they feel the need to bring other universes into it. I'd also find it hard to believe this Venom won't also appear in one of the later Spiderman movies especially if it's a hit.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I don't see why it matters. Every new film is mostly standalone until they feel the need to bring other universes into it. I'd also find it hard to believe this Venom won't also appear in one of the later Spiderman movies especially if it's a hit.

No no no no no no, Cubed. :tsmile:

Every new film is mostly standalone UNTIL IT MAKES ENOUGH MONEY. :twink:

THEN it becomes part of a cinematic universe. ... Although quite a few people try it the other way around.

Step 1: Form a cinematic universe.
Step 2: Make a critically and financially successful movie.

And most of those people usually screw up at Step 2. :tlol:

Andrew NDB
06-15-2017, 11:58 AM
That's true of "we're starting a TRILOGY with this movie!" too. Plenty of examples of that flatlining at movie #1.

Eragon
Ender's Game
Terminator Salvation
Terminator Genisys

And so on, so on.

The idea is that they think if they sell audiences on the idea that they're not just watching a movie, but rather the BEGINNING OF SOMETHING YUUUUGE, then they'll be more likely to see it. I guess? It never seems to work, though, yet they keep doing it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2017, 12:07 PM
That's true of "we're starting a TRILOGY with this movie!" too. Plenty of examples of that flatlining at movie #1.

Eragon
Ender's Game
Terminator Salvation
Terminator Genisys

And so on, so on.

The idea is that they think if they sell audiences on the idea that they're not just watching a movie, but rather the BEGINNING OF SOMETHING YUUUUGE, then they'll be more likely to see it. I guess? It never seems to work, though, yet they keep doing it.

With the first two examples, it's a bit weird because the book series are already pretty far along so of course most people who go to see it are going to expect sequels.

You gotta be really bad to not get a film sequel when you're a novel series adaptation. And it keeps happening, too. I Am Number Four, Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy, etc.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-15-2017, 12:21 PM
One trend that fortunately died off very quickly was "let's split one book into two movies" . Harry Potter did it and Hunger Games did it, and I think Divergent did it too. Only difference is that no one saw Divergent Pt. 1, so they never made a Pt. 2.

Andrew NDB
06-15-2017, 12:35 PM
One trend that fortunately died off very quickly was "let's split one book into two movies" . Harry Potter did it and Hunger Games did it, and I think Divergent did it too. Only difference is that no one saw Divergent Pt. 1, so they never made a Pt. 2.

A little bit different there. They released Divergent, which did OK. Then they released Insurgent, which also did OK. Then they were going to break Allegiant into two movies titled Part 1 and Part 2, but at the last minute decided to just call Part 1 "Allegiant." Then it flopped and they were talking about making Part 2 (which they were calling "Ascendant") a TV movie, or TV mini-series... but none of it went anywhere. Now it's going to be a graphic novel or something, lol... it got "Dawn of the Ninja"ed.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2017, 12:37 PM

It died off quickly? Really? I disagree.

Harry Potter, Divergent, Twilight, Hunger Games, Hobbit, and that's just off the top of my head... um, what else... Batman The Dark Knight Returns...

It will be two parts, but it really needs to be... that's a dense book... in my opinion, The Hobbit needed to be split into multiple movies as well.

Although perhaps it is simply that YA adaptations are dying off, not splitting into two movies. I dunno, now I feel like I'm arguing semantics. :tsmile:

TheSkeletonMan939
06-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Eh, Hobbit is a little different since LotR set precedent.
I've noticed too that there's been a wonderful lull of movies based off of YA novels, but then again I haven't heard of anything relatively recently that's caught people's attention almost universally the same way HP or Hunger Games did.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2017, 12:58 PM
Eh, Hobbit is a little different since LotR set precedent.
I've noticed too that there's been a wonderful lull of movies based off of YA novels, but then again I haven't heard of anything relatively recently that's caught people's attention almost universally the same way HP or Hunger Games did.

Also the fact that the Hobbit didn't have enough material in itself to make it as a full-length feature film.

CyberCubed
06-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Stop watching bad movies then. In recent years we've gotten excellent non-superhero films like Mad Max Fury Road, the new Planet of the Apes, John Wick 1 and 2, Creed, Mel Gibson's "Blood father," and the various Quentin Tarantino films like The Hateful Eight and Django Unchained.

I guess it's easy to forget non-superhero films still exist.

Andrew NDB
06-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Stop watching bad movies then. In recent years we've gotten excellent non-superhero films like Mad Max Fury Road, the new Planet of the Apes, John Wick 1 and 2, Creed, Mel Gibson's "Blood father," and the various Quentin Tarantino films like The Hateful Eight and Django Unchained.

Blood Father was bland and bad. It's almost like a cheaper version of his other movie, Edge of Darkness. Now that was a movie.

CyberCubed
06-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Blood Father was bland and bad. It's almost like a cheaper version of his other movie, Edge of Darkness. Now that was a movie.

It wasn't great, but I like seeing Mel Gibson act crazy and go on a bloodlust. Payback which was made back in 1999 I think...was one of Mel Gibson's best gangster movie roles.

Andrew NDB
06-15-2017, 01:56 PM
It wasn't great, but I like seeing Mel Gibson act crazy and go on a bloodlust.

We got that in Edge of Darkness, and it was way better done. It really makes you root for him at the end.

Interesting factoid: it actually filmed in Northampton.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2017, 01:58 PM

All good except I've never heard of the Mel Gibson movie.

Man, you are going to end up talking me into watching those new "Apes" movies. :twink:

CyberCubed
06-15-2017, 02:12 PM
The new Apes movies are much more action oriented than the classic movies, so you might enjoy them more.

Andrew NDB
06-15-2017, 02:13 PM
All good except I've never heard of the Mel Gibson movie.

Man, you are going to end up talking me into watching those new "Apes" movies. :twink:

The two new Apes movies are really good. They're also tonally very different from one another. Part 3 looks like it's going to be about like 2, but just on a bigger scale.

DestronMirage22
06-15-2017, 02:15 PM

The new Apes movies are much more action oriented than the classic movies, so you might enjoy them more.

Yeah, you should give those films a chance Cylons. They're pretty good. They have good stories, plenty of ape vs human action, and even some deeper themes if you're into that kind of stuff.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2017, 02:18 PM
The two new Apes movies are really good. They're also tonally very different from one another. Part 3 looks like it's going to be about like 2, but just on a bigger scale.

Yeah, you should give those films a chance Cylons. They're pretty good. They have good stories, plenty of ape vs human action, and even some deeper themes if you're into that kind of stuff.

Geez, okay, okay... you guys convinced me. I've placed hold requests at my library, and should be seeing them in the next week or two. :tsmile:

sdp
06-18-2017, 09:08 AM
Look like Venom and all new Sony spider-man movies will take place in the MCU. (https://twitter.com/comicfade/status/876443828370255874)

I think this could be awesome, in b4 "buy mah holy mcu will be tainted by teh evil sony"

NinjaPug
06-18-2017, 09:25 AM
Once again Amy Pascal just throwing **** against the wall. Feige didn't look like he agreed with what she was saying. He's also said the exact opposite multiple times recently.

Sure, Sony could throw Tom Holland into these side movies if they sign him to a new contract but they aren't really part of the MCU if Marvel Studios isn't involved.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Feige's face in the thumbnail says it all.

http://i.imgur.com/oBe8n6A.png
^
'wtf is this idiot talking about'

It's almost like Pascal thinks that Sony still 'owns' Spidey as far as public perception is concerned.

MikeandRaph87
06-18-2017, 09:37 AM
This is a complete 180 from less than a week ago. Sony was trying to its own rhing yet now Marvel is putting it together. I wonder if Disney approached Sony and threatened to end its involvement if it was not.

NinjaPug
06-18-2017, 10:55 AM
This is a complete 180 from less than a week ago. Sony was trying to its own rhing yet now Marvel is putting it together. I wonder if Disney approached Sony and threatened to end its involvement if it was not.

Marvel isn't putting these together. They have zero involvement.

ZariusTwo
06-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Amy is the Dixie Carter of superhero movies

Autbot_Benz
06-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Amy is the Dixie Carter of superhero movies

http://i.imgur.com/Gf5ZvtP.jpg

Andrew NDB
06-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Once again Amy Pascal just throwing **** against the wall. Feige didn't look like he agreed with what she was saying. He's also said the exact opposite multiple times recently.

Sure, Sony could throw Tom Holland into these side movies if they sign him to a new contract but they aren't really part of the MCU if Marvel Studios isn't involved.

I don't think either one is wrong. It's like I surmised before:

1. Marvel continues using Spider-Man in their movies in a partnership with Sony, but we all know these are basically Marvel Studios movies.
2. Sony builds their Spider-Man expanded universe on the Sony side of the fence, designed in such a way to not intersect or contradict with anything actually going on at Marvel (i.e., the Avengers just defeated Thanos before the events of the Venom movie... the Venom movie just doesn't talk about it). And they can probably use Spider-Man in it whenever they damn feel like it (Spider-Man didn't cease being their character when they made the deal with Marvel, or anything). And I'm sure Sony could clear this or that with Marvel, given their good relationship (i.e., "Hey Kevin Feige, can we talk about including Ant-Man in our Sinister Six movie?"). And vice versa, Marvel COULD incorporate stuff from the Sony expanded spider-verse into the solo Spider-Man movies.

The deal actually benefits both parties. Sony is free to do what they want in their Spider-verse on the side, and Marvel doesn't HAVE to use it in the solo Spider-Man movies or other MCU movies... but they COULD if they want to and it's a success. If Venom and all that is a failure? It can neatly be swept under the rug by both parties, like it never happened. And the neat thing about Sony is they can actually put out an R-rated Venom movie, while Marvel Studios' hands are tied by Disney. We can get a bloody, cursing Venom movie... and down the road, maybe he pops into a Spider-Man solo movie.

Win win.

ToTheNines
06-19-2017, 08:30 AM
That's all good and well, I just don't understand this Venom business at all. Tom Hardy is 40, MCU Peter is currently 16. They've always been rivals before the symbiotic ends up latching on. Even if it's a Dawson-cast, what's the youngest he can believably play? 30?

Andrew NDB
06-19-2017, 10:09 AM
That's all good and well, I just don't understand this Venom business at all. Tom Hardy is 40, MCU Peter is currently 16. They've always been rivals before the symbiotic ends up latching on. Even if it's a Dawson-cast, what's the youngest he can believably play? 30?

I dunno... how old is regular, non-Ultimate Marvel Brock supposed to be in the comics?

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_medium/1/11136/2989039-004+eddie+brock+-+venom.jpg

He looks about 40 to me.

ToTheNines
06-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Right, but Peter was a grown-ass man by then, too.

Don't get me wrong, it's better casting than Eric fuc*ing Foreman, but considering the current Spidey... I don't get it.

ProphetofGanja
06-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Right, but Peter was a grown-ass man by then, too.

Don't get me wrong, it's better casting than Eric fuc*ing Foreman, but considering the current Spidey... I don't get it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/uhArJ25L9Ycfu/giphy.gif
lmao :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, the MCU/non-MCU/Sony Venom that they're creating is likely going to have a backstory that deviates a lot from the comics. I wonder what motivation they'll give to Brock to hate Peter, or if they're even going to go that route at all. Plus it's already going to be weird because I can't see Peter getting the symbiote before Brock, so the symbiote and Brock just have to be given some random reason to hate Peter?

Or not, and Sony is just doing random things for random reasons and their version of Venom will have very little in common with its comic counterpart

TheSkeletonMan939
06-19-2017, 01:17 PM
I don't think the comics version of Venom's origin ever has been adapted anywhere else.

DestronMirage22
06-19-2017, 01:52 PM
I don't think the comics version of Venom's origin ever has been adapted anywhere else.

With the Beyonder and the whole Marvel universe in a single planet? Yeah...that's not likely to happen on the big screen :lol:.
It'd be cool though.

Andrew NDB
06-19-2017, 01:56 PM

From what I've read of it... is it even a good idea to try?

"Peter gets symbiote, symbiote corrupts Peter, Peter gets a black suit, Peter gets rid of symbiote and symbiote finds Brock."

I don't think that part should be messed with, though.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-19-2017, 01:56 PM
With the Beyonder and the whole Marvel universe in a single planet? Yeah...that's not likely to happen on the big screen :lol:.
It'd be cool though.

No, I mean the whole thing about Eddie Brock publishing a fake story about Sin-Eater's identity, and then Spidey revealing the real identity, and Brock getting pissed over that.
The Sin-Eater story is a good one and I wish someone had the balls to adapt it for the big screen.

ToTheNines
06-19-2017, 03:09 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/uhArJ25L9Ycfu/giphy.gif
lmao :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, the MCU/non-MCU/Sony Venom that they're creating is likely going to have a backstory that deviates a lot from the comics. I wonder what motivation they'll give to Brock to hate Peter, or if they're even going to go that route at all. Plus it's already going to be weird because I can't see Peter getting the symbiote before Brock, so the symbiote and Brock just have to be given some random reason to hate Peter?

Excellent gif lol.

Agreed, mostly. But even though it might cramp the narrative, they could have Peter join with the symbiote in the first act of Infinity War and maybe have him ditch it in a post-credit scene? That would be Marvel doing Sony a gi-fuc*ing-normous favor, with their silly Venom movie coming out 5 months later, but I don't see any other way around it if they're planning on making any kind of larger connection.

But you kinda still need to have Peter be present in your Venom origin story. Who knows?

Or not, and Sony is just doing random things for random reasons and their version of Venom will have very little in common with its comic counterpart

Probably.

No, I mean the whole thing about Eddie Brock publishing a fake story about Sin-Eater's identity, and then Spidey revealing the real identity, and Brock getting pissed over that.
The Sin-Eater story is a good one and I wish someone had the balls to adapt it for the big screen.

What a fitting time to make a movie about FAKE NEWS and the failing, totally biased Daily Bugle. Major loser @jjjameson is a lightweight editor!

AT-Man
06-19-2017, 03:34 PM
I'm just gonna say it: Tom Hardy is too short! He was too short for Bane and he's too short for Venom. It doesn't matter if he can be made to look tall in a movie, but I will always know they can't just have a shot where Bane and Batman are side by side, because Bane would be a head shorter.

edit: then again, Venom will likely be CGI tall like Lizard. It doesn't matter if Eddie himself is short.

ProphetofGanja
06-19-2017, 03:50 PM
I'm just gonna say it: Tom Hardy is too short! He was too short for Bane and he's too short for Venom. It doesn't matter if he can be made to look tall in a movie, but I will always know they can't just have a shot where Bane and Batman are side by side, because Bane would be a head shorter.

Camera tricks can solve all of that.

Remember Gimli from the Lord of the Rings movies? He's that big ass dude who keeps Indiana Jones from eating the poisoned dates in Raiders of the Lost Ark

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-19-2017, 03:51 PM
Camera tricks can solve all of that.

Remember Gimli from the Lord of the Rings movies? He's that big ass dude who keeps Indiana Jones from eating the poisoned dates in Raiders of the Lost Ark

That's one of the many reasons why I've always wanted Peter Jackson to do a TMNT movie. He also does a great job with group dynamics and fantastical settings... and adaptations.

GoldMutant
06-19-2017, 07:20 PM
I still can't forsee anything out of this until more details are given.

Tom Hardy is a decent choice for the role though. I just hope Venom can be done right. The last time he really was awesome outside the comics was Spectacular Spider-Man, even though I'm not a huge fan with his last episode in it.

Andrew did bring up a good point on it being beneficial to both parties, but it also can be swept under depending on what occurs. Regardless, I'm interested if this can get off the ground.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-19-2017, 07:24 PM
I still can't forsee anything out of this until more details are given.

Tom Hardy is a decent choice for the role though. I just hope Venom can be done right. The last time he really was awesome outside the comics was Spectacular Spider-Man, even though I'm not a huge fan with his last episode in it.

Andrew did bring up a good point on it being beneficial to both parties, but it also can be swept under depending on what occurs. Regardless, I'm interested if this can get off the ground.

You're one of the resident webhead fans around here; how do you feel towards Venom as a character? One of your faves, or overrated?

GoldMutant
06-19-2017, 07:36 PM
You're one of the resident webhead fans around here; how do you feel towards Venom as a character? One of your faves, or overrated?

It all depends on who writes him and how he's portrayed.

Honestly, Venom is still cool, but overrated personally. I'd put him as my eighth or seventh favorite Spider-Man villain. Comics, especially his earlier days, he was awesome. The Todd McFarlane days were amazing and still hold up. I really liked the Ultimate Comics portrayal, at least the first Venom story. His following appearance in War of the Symbiotes... bleh.

I don't like his other media appearances though. Outside Spectacular, I don't find him that compelling so far in movies or television. Personally, I kinda liked Topher Grace in 3, but the character was really rushed. Had 3 been divided into two films as planned at one point, he would've been much better.

I would like other villains to be done before Venom gets reused again. Kraven, Mysterio, Scorpion, and Black Cat especially should come first. They're the only "big" names off the top of my head that could carry a movie alone. I'd also like Rhino to be redone after the atrocity in Amazing Spider-Man 2 before Venom too.

However, as I said, all depends on how you do him.

If curious Cy, these are my personal favorites:

1. Kraven the Hunter
2. Doctor Octopus
3. Kingpin
4. Green Goblin
5. Lizard
6. Mysterio
7. Scorpion
8. Venom
9. Electro
10. Sandman

sdp
06-21-2017, 10:26 AM
http://io9.gizmodo.com/sonys-spider-man-movie-verse-will-feature-carnage-and-1796297310

Carnage in Vernon movie, Peter in Sony MCU , avenger in Homecoming 2 oh my!

ZariusTwo
06-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Solo movies for Kraven and Mysterio too

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 10:43 AM

Not as bad as the Aunt May prequel.

But seriously. Sony needs to go to film studio rehab. :tlol:

Candy Kappa
06-21-2017, 11:01 AM

I think that Trouble comic was enough Aunt May prequel we'll ever need...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 11:12 AM
I think that Trouble comic was enough Aunt May prequel we'll ever need...

But wouldn't you love to see it in live action!?

Candy Kappa
06-21-2017, 11:23 AM
No.

10 characters

NinjaPug
06-21-2017, 11:28 AM

I was hoping that was misinterpreted and that they would be in solo Spidey movies down the line.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 11:40 AM
I was hoping that was misinterpreted and that they would be in solo Spidey movies down the line.

I don't think Sony can use Spiderman while Marvel is using him... that's what seems to be written between the lines.

I mean, otherwise, wouldn't they be including Spidey in the Venom movie and the Silver/Black movie?

MikeandRaph87
06-21-2017, 12:34 PM

But seriously. Sony needs to go to film studio rehab. :tlol:

The sad thing is I thought you guys were making it up kidding around at all this talk and the ridiculous ideas Sony has come up with. I think saw an article on Yahoo! about it. Sony should just distribute Spider-Man films and be happy.

Mysterio: The Movie and Kraven: The Movie? Ummm....I can understand Venom as a one-shot thing,but anything else? Why those two because they have yet to be in a film? I actually would see a Myesterio film because he and The Scorpion are the ones I want to see in a Spider-Man film. Kraven I will not go see simply because the character does not interest me. Mysterio can be the primary and Kraven the secondary in a follow up to Homecoming. Sony is all talk and if ever executed will likely fall flat on its face breaking all of its teeth. Just because its Spider-Man related doe not mean its worth making a movie! It needs freaking Spider-Man!

Candy Kappa
06-21-2017, 01:08 PM
What would a Kraven movie be without Spider-Man? The prequel where he kills a bunch of endangered predators and sits on his throne made of ivory, baby seals and lions and shigs that hunting bring no joy anymore. And end credits he picks up a Daily Bugle seeing a blurry pic of "Spider-Man the MENACE!"

mmm, compelling.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2017, 01:58 PM
What would a Kraven movie be without Spider-Man? The prequel where he kills a bunch of endangered predators and sits on his throne made of ivory, baby seals and lions and shigs that hunting bring no joy anymore. And end credits he picks up a Daily Bugle seeing a blurry pic of "Spider-Man the MENACE!"

mmm, compelling.

Maybe Mysterio will be the story of a sad special effects technician or a failed stage magician. :trazz:

shuriken
06-21-2017, 07:43 PM
This sounds stupid to me. Like I'd rather have them make an animated movie but whatever. I'm sure people will go watch it.

sdp
06-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Kraven and Mysterio would have a tough time holding their own as main villains in a Spider-Man movie, let alone a spin-off about them, and I like both characters.

The spider-man has done tons of world building over the decades, why are they focusing on these villains for solo movies?

Venom makes sense since he's super popular and has had many solo runs in comics. Black Cat/Silver Sable even if lesser known also make sense that they would have random adventures but Kraven and Mysterio just work better as supporting characters or villians. Wouldn't it be awesome to see the Scarlett spider/spider-girl or any other spider clone hero? You could've started the Clone Saga somehow, Oscorp could be expanded on, I don't know, I wouldn't start with those two, that's for sure.

This sounds stupid to me. Like I'd rather have them make an animated movie but whatever. I'm sure people will go watch it.

I think they're making an animated Miles Morales Spidey movie.

Candy Kappa
06-22-2017, 03:14 AM
Kraven as the main villain could give us a Physiological Thriller Superhero movie, that'd be neat.

ZariusTwo
06-22-2017, 07:03 AM
I got sent a PM with a few ideas to use Kraven in a movie, it painted him as a reality tv star who uses a serum to make him all bestial, reminded me a lot of the nineties Spidey cartoon where something similar happened to Kraven's love interest.

GoldMutant
06-24-2017, 05:28 PM
I got sent a PM with a few ideas to use Kraven in a movie, it painted him as a reality tv star who uses a serum to make him all bestial, reminded me a lot of the nineties Spidey cartoon where something similar happened to Kraven's love interest.

I wonder who sent it. :shifty:
(All seriousness, if you guys want to know more, I had some ideas for Spider-Man movies. Just PM me.)

I personally see these ideas have potential, but with Sony's track record, I'm hesitant.

sdp
06-25-2017, 10:40 AM
And we're back out (https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/878995450354913280) the MCU again, this has been hilarious :lol:

ToTheNines
06-25-2017, 11:59 AM
Ok, so I guess Spider-Man is the nexus between the MCU and the Sonyverse. That's not horrible. Kinda like how the Savage Dragon/TMNT crossovers are canon, but neither universe is saddled with the other's baggage.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Ok, so I guess Spider-Man is the nexus between the MCU and the Sonyverse. That's not horrible. Kinda like how the Savage Dragon/TMNT crossovers are canon, but neither universe is saddled with the other's baggage.

I really, REALLY don't understand Sony's thinking in this at all. Instead of going for the long game and long-term success, they're going to blow their wad and burn through any remaining credibility and interest as quickly as possible?

Why? Anyone understand this?

TurtleTitan97
06-25-2017, 12:50 PM
I really, REALLY don't understand Sony's thinking in this at all. Instead of going for the long game and long-term success, they're going to blow their wad and burn through any remaining credibility and interest as quickly as possible?

Why? Anyone understand this?

It's all about making as much $$$ as possible.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2017, 01:33 PM
It's all about making as much $$$ as possible.

See, though, I don't agree that's the case--and I don't think even Sony can believe that will happen.

They'll make more money more quickly, but then they lose out on the long haul and make LESS money in the long haul. It's Sony, most of the Spiderman fans HATE them. :tlol:

ToTheNines
06-25-2017, 01:44 PM
See, though, I don't agree that's the case--and I don't think even Sony can believe that will happen.

They'll make more money more quickly, but then they lose out on the long haul and make LESS money in the long haul. It's Sony, most of the Spiderman fans HATE them. :tlol:

Yeah, they're thinking short term. If it was me, I'd beg Marvel to have the symbiote pair with Peter at some point in A4, even if just in a post-credit scene. Then do a black-suit Spidey movie for Homecoming 2 (why not a Kraven's Last Hunt adaption?), and have him ditch it in the 3rd act.

Then IF YOU MUST, make your silly Venom movie in 2020 and have Homecoming 3 be Spidey vs. Venom in 2021 if it was well received.

The Deadman
06-25-2017, 07:16 PM
These people need to make up their minds. First they arent in the MCU, then they are, then they arent because it had to be CLARIFIED that Venom is in the MARVEL COMICS UNIVERSE?! Like people didnt know this already? Who's writing this?

NinjaPug
06-25-2017, 07:19 PM
These people need to make up their minds. First they arent in the MCU, then they are, then they arent because it had to be CLARIFIED that Venom is in the MARVEL COMICS UNIVERSE?! Like people didnt know this already? Who's writing this?

No one is changing their minds on anything. Amy Pascal said an incorrect statement and clickbait sites ran with it.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-25-2017, 07:20 PM
It's obvious that the partnership seems solid on paper, but the two companies are thinking on VERY different wavelengths in reality. Marvel of course is thinking of the film in terms of its own larger universe, and Sony is trying to just use Spidey to propel whatever properties they have left (Venom, and the Black Cat movie) into public consciousness. That's why dumbass Pascal is saying that Homecoming takes place in 'their world': they're trying to increase interest in Venom solely based on its tenuous (basically nonexistent) connection to Homecoming.

Autbot_Benz
10-03-2017, 09:00 PM
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/10/04/venom-script-fifty-shades-of-grey-kelly-marcel/

Script to be Penned by Fifty Shades of Grey writer Kelly Marcel

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-03-2017, 09:05 PM
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/10/04/venom-script-fifty-shades-of-grey-kelly-marcel/

And I thought this whole fiasco couldn't be any funnier! :tlol:

PApagreg
10-03-2017, 10:19 PM
You know a bit off topic but an Agent Venom movie would have great potential, imagine if you combine Aliens with The Hurt Locker with The Kingsmen

ProphetofGanja
10-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Is this real life?

DarkFell
10-03-2017, 11:22 PM
Wasn't there an idea for a Sinister Six movie at one time? If there was, did it die off? That still could work and Venom could still join in, should anything happen to Kraven.

I did look for an S.S. movie trailer on Youtube. All I found were fan-made trailers.

Besides, a S.S. movie could work better than giving (I assuming here) each villain a stand-alone movie. Since some of the Sinister Six members traded punches with other heroes from the Marvel comic universe, Sony could add additional heroes to *begrudgingly* fight alongside the web-slinger, should he appear in the movie.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-04-2017, 06:02 AM
Wasn't there an idea for a Sinister Six movie at one time? If there was, did it die off?

Sony was planning a Sinister Six movie I think to be developed after Amazing Spider-Man 3. One would hope that all those plans washed away after the Disney deal.

Slap-Happy
10-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Sony was planning a Sinister Six movie I think to be developed after Amazing Spider-Man 3. One would hope that all those plans washed away after the Disney deal.
Yeah, Sinister Six is done. Drew Goddard was going to write and direct. Apparently involved Spider-Man having to team up with five villains.

There were discussions about Matt Damon for Doc Ock, and funnily enough, Tom Hardy as the Sandman.

DestronMirage22
10-04-2017, 02:57 PM

Hahahaha!!
ztVMib1T4T4

Man, this movie's future is not looking good.

Speaking of that cancelled Sinister Six film, we never found out what plans they had for Gustav Fiers (the guy in the shadows) did we?
A shame. Even though those films weren't that good, I was sort of interested in where they'd take that particular plot. Oh well.

Slap-Happy
10-04-2017, 03:03 PM
I don't know that Kelly Marcel writing the script is that bad. She did some work on Bronson, which is one of Hardy's best films. She's apparently good friends with Hardy too, so this might turn out kind of interesting.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Speaking of that cancelled Sinister Six film, we never found out what plans they had for Gustav Fiers (the guy in the shadows) did we?
A shame. Even though those films weren't that good, I was sort of interested in where they'd take that particular plot. Oh well.

I wasn't. They almost certainly weren't going to do anything cool with him like make him The Rose or The Big Man or someone like that. He was just a stock "all-knowing sinister informant" character. I really dislike how comic book movies use post-credits scenes now; instead of easter eggs or jokes, they're now used to actually further plot, and in ASM's case there clearly was no plot which they were furthering, just gibberish.

ProphetofGanja
10-06-2017, 08:42 PM
I wasn't. They almost certainly weren't going to do anything cool with him like make him The Rose or The Big Man or someone like that. He was just a stock "all-knowing sinister informant" character. I really dislike how comic book movies use post-credits scenes now; instead of easter eggs or jokes, they're now used to actually further plot, and in ASM's case there clearly was no plot which they were furthering, just gibberish.

Yeah, Sony looked pretty stoopid when all that stuff about Peter's parents and secret agents and whatever the f#ck else was left totally unresolved. They really had no idea what the hell they were doing.

Leofan26
10-07-2017, 12:19 PM
This project still going? I thought it was canceled ages ago.

I haven't heard anything since I heard it was given the green light, than again as a Spider Man fan, I'm not exactly looking forward to this film. It was one of my favorite storylines from the series, imagine how disappointed I was how they did things with the story in Spider Man three than this :lol:

Krutch
10-24-2017, 06:41 AM
Filming has offically begun on "Venom." (http://www.superherohype.com/news/406635-venom-filming-kicks-off-with-the-release-of-a-set-photo#/slide/1)

Call me crazy, because I have no idea why, but I have a feeling this will actually be a good movie. Against all odds.

Maybe I'm just an optimist :roll:

Allio
10-24-2017, 08:06 AM
And thus the Mcu became so big it got a spin-off

Autbot_Benz
10-24-2017, 11:38 AM
Venom will be created with Motion Capture CGI

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/10/24/venom-movie-motion-capture-tom-hardy/

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-24-2017, 11:48 AM
And thus the Mcu became so big it got a spin-off

I'd say the MCU already spun off a few times before, what with Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix Defenders...

Allio
10-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Though those are still technically apart of the Mcu, the spider films specifically comes from homecoming.

Andrew NDB
12-02-2017, 02:13 PM
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/02/tom-hardy-venom-costume/

I wonder if he has any idea, or barring that if no one has ever explained to Tom Hardy that he's not starring in "The next big MCU movie" or even something that immediately makes any sense in whatever Spider-verse they've unsuccessfully been trying to launch for years... but just this odd duck project that's sort of locked in a very strange corner.

Autbot_Benz
12-02-2017, 02:20 PM
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/02/tom-hardy-venom-costume/

I wonder if he has any idea, or barring that if no one has ever explained to Tom Hardy that he's not starring in "The next big MCU movie" or even something that immediately makes any sense in whatever Spider-verse they've unsuccessfully been trying to launch for years... but just this odd duck project that's sort of locked in a very strange corner.

They might be basing it off the Agent Venom comics when Flash became Venom and a secret Agent

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Eugene_Thompson_(Earth-616)

PApagreg
12-02-2017, 02:33 PM
They might be basing it off the Agent Venom comics when Flash became Venom and a secret Agent

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Eugene_Thompson_(Earth-616)

I personally would't mind seeing that

Coola Yagami
12-02-2017, 05:03 PM
I'd love to see agent venom but i know many would be disappointed to not have 90s Venom after they messed up with Topher Grace.

Redeemer
12-02-2017, 05:10 PM
I will be disappointed if we don't get anything but a 90's venom or something along the lines of the Ultimate Spiderman Game. Thats probably my favorite venom.

I don't think the concept or idea of "Agent Venom" is bad, I have never even heard of it until now, but I just want so the latter so badly!

Coola Yagami
12-02-2017, 06:01 PM
The biggest problem is.... Venom is basically evil Spider-Man with big teeth. It's hard to somehow make a movie about him without Spider-Man in it at all since his entire motif is evil Spider-Man who's out for revenge on Spider-Man. If the movie has any sort of motive besides revenge on Spider-Man, it's already doing it wrong.

The only way I could see it if you somehow skip the origin and go straight to him being a Lethal Protector and fight against Carnage. But you know the first movie usually has to be an origin story somehow, so I have no idea how they plan to do an origin story without Spider-Man. Some other villain might work that's not as closely tied to Spider-Man, but again, Venom is basically evil Spider-Man.

This is just dumb. The general public is frothing at the mouth to see Venom they seem to have forgotten he's a damn Spider-Man villain and a movie without him won't work. Basically it's like making the Man or Steel be about Bizzaro instead of the real deal and have him fight Doomsday, with no mention of Superman at all.

ProphetofGanja
12-02-2017, 06:54 PM
The biggest problem is.... Venom is basically evil Spider-Man with big teeth. It's hard to somehow make a movie about him without Spider-Man in it at all since his entire motif is evil Spider-Man who's out for revenge on Spider-Man. If the movie has any sort of motive besides revenge on Spider-Man, it's already doing it wrong.

The only way I could see it if you somehow skip the origin and go straight to him being a Lethal Protector and fight against Carnage. But you know the first movie usually has to be an origin story somehow, so I have no idea how they plan to do an origin story without Spider-Man. Some other villain might work that's not as closely tied to Spider-Man, but again, Venom is basically evil Spider-Man.

This is just dumb. The general public is frothing at the mouth to see Venom they seem to have forgotten he's a damn Spider-Man villain and a movie without him won't work. Basically it's like making the Man or Steel be about Bizzaro instead of the real deal and have him fight Doomsday, with no mention of Superman at all.

This, all of it.

I don't know how on earth they expect to make Venom work as a character if they're not allowed to use Spider-Man at all. Are they just gonna tiptoe around it and refer to "that kid in the red and blue tights"?

Even that wouldn't work because if Peter Parker never had the symbiotic suit, why would it hate him if he'd never even had the opportunity to abandon it?

PApagreg
12-02-2017, 07:05 PM
I dunno I could see this working as a mix between a werewolf/thing motif, imagine some random Joe got the symbiotic and while it improved his life it also made him more aggressive and violent and the end where he becomes a monster and starts eating people. I could see a decent horror story out of it.

Coola Yagami
12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
This, all of it.

I don't know how on earth they expect to make Venom work as a character if they're not allowed to use Spider-Man at all. Are they just gonna tiptoe around it and refer to "that kid in the red and blue tights"?

Even that wouldn't work because if Peter Parker never had the symbiotic suit, why would it hate him if he'd never even had the opportunity to abandon it?

Not just that, the overall design, the spiderman logo, the damn webbing. Do people forget that Venom also swings through the city like Spider-Man???

ProphetofGanja
12-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Not just that, the overall design, the spiderman logo, the damn webbing. Do people forget that Venom also swings through the city like Spider-Man???

See, that right there all makes me wonder if they really are taking significant inspiration from the Agent Venom aspects of the character and I just don't know how well Sony could pull that off

We could be set to witness a Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine-level f#ck up here

Coola Yagami
12-02-2017, 11:27 PM
See, that right there all makes me wonder if they really are taking significant inspiration from the Agent Venom aspects of the character and I just don't know how well Sony could pull that off

We could be set to witness a Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine-level f#ck up here

Yeah, and again, while they might possibly create the perfect rendition of Agent Venom..... its not the Venom anyone is going to want. Plus, Flash Thompson has only been seen as douchey in cinema so it would be weird to suddenly see him as a hero and losing his legs in a war. It sure as hell can't be the same youngster from Spider-Man Homecoming.

Andrew NDB
12-03-2017, 04:09 AM
Yeah, and again, while they might possibly create the perfect rendition of Agent Venom..... its not the Venom anyone is going to want. Plus, Flash Thompson has only been seen as douchey in cinema so it would be weird to suddenly see him as a hero and losing his legs in a war. It sure as hell can't be the same youngster from Spider-Man Homecoming.

I agree with the former. The latter, who knows... maybe between movies Flash does and it becomes this heart-wrenching thing. Back on the former... yeah. So many people complained about Topher in SM3 (even though he, from my understanding... played about an 85% accurate Ultimate Spider-Man version of Venom, which was popular at the time) saying they wanted the Todd McFarlane Venom... it'd seem a very strange choice to me now for Sony to go with the "flavor of the month that didn't endure in some random 2010s comics" version of Venom (Agent Venom or whatever) for their big screen experiment that everyone already expects to fail.

Coola Yagami
12-03-2017, 12:23 PM
I dunno I could see this working as a mix between a werewolf/thing motif, imagine some random Joe got the symbiotic and while it improved his life it also made him more aggressive and violent and the end where he becomes a monster and starts eating people. I could see a decent horror story out of it.

The problem is, if it was some random Joe, there would be no reason for Venom to look anything like Spider-Man and use webbing. People Eddie Brock.

ProphetofGanja
12-05-2017, 11:55 AM
So it really seems like they're taking aspects from the Flash Thompson version of Venom (Agent Venom) and grafting them on to the Eddie Brock version of the character that Tom Hardy is playing for this film, likely because they can't use Flash as he appeared in Spider-Man: Homecoming and they can't use the typical Eddie Brock version of the character as that backstory is too tied into the Spider-Man mythos, which they also don't have access to.

Can An Agent Venom Movie Work Without Flash Thompson? (https://www.cbr.com/sony-venom-movie-flash-thompson/)

https://static0.cbrimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/agent-venom-header.jpg?q=35&w=984&h=518&fit=crop

So this is likely just going to be a story about a military guy who bonds to a symbiotic alien, possibly after losing his legs in combat. Zero connection to Spider-Man.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-05-2017, 12:09 PM
So it really seems like they're taking aspects from the Flash Thompson version of Venom (Agent Venom) and grafting them on to the Eddie Brock version of the character that Tom Hardy is playing for this film, likely because they can't use Flash as he appeared in Spider-Man: Homecoming and they can't use the typical Eddie Brock version of the character as that backstory is too tied into the Spider-Man mythos, which they also don't have access to.

Can An Agent Venom Movie Work Without Flash Thompson? (https://www.cbr.com/sony-venom-movie-flash-thompson/)

https://static0.cbrimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/agent-venom-header.jpg?q=35&w=984&h=518&fit=crop

So this is likely just going to be a story about a military guy who bonds to a symbiotic alien, possibly after losing his legs in combat. Zero connection to Spider-Man.

So, shall we call this the Spiderless Extended Universe?

ProphetofGanja
12-05-2017, 12:16 PM
So, shall we call this the Spiderless Extended Universe?

lmao :lol: might as well

I predict that there will be no spider on Agent Venom's suit, just something reminiscent of the spider design. Or it's there but for some totally superficial reason, like "because it looks cool" or something

Coola Yagami
12-05-2017, 10:59 PM
At first I ask... then why even make the movie at all??? but then I remember these guys are forced to make a new movie every couple of years to prevent losing the license, but at the rate, guys, just give it up already.

I'm expecting them to release like... a Mole Man movie or a Silver Surfer movie just so they won't lose the Fantastic Four license.

Slap-Happy
12-11-2017, 02:30 AM
I'm expecting them to release like... a Mole Man movie or a Silver Surfer movie just so they won't lose the Fantastic Four license.

They've tried for decades, and honestly, it could totally work if done right.

ZariusTwo
01-11-2018, 09:25 AM
First look at Hardy as Brock

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/01/11/venom-first-look-at-tom-hardy-as-eddie-brock-and-full-brazil-comic-con-panel-video-ign-first

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-11-2018, 09:55 AM

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/01/11/venom-first-look-at-tom-hardy-as-eddie-brock-and-full-brazil-comic-con-panel-video-ign-first

Shocking. Tom Hardy looks EXACTLY like Tom Hardy!

MikeandRaph87
01-11-2018, 07:42 PM

Where is the blonde hair? Dyed or a wig, Tom Hardy needs blonde hair to play Venom. It create more of the look of the character is playing. If he is doing everything he can then fix the hair. Yes, I know, I am nitpicking!

The Deadman
01-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Rumor suggest Spider-Man will appear in Venom
http://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/3478706/rumor-will-tom-hollands-spider-man-appear-venom/

Andrew NDB
01-29-2018, 09:35 AM
Annnd now it's wrapped filming.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom/tom-hardy-flexes-his-back-muscles-as-venom-wraps-principal-photography-a157399

Is it just me, or did that seem... quick?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-29-2018, 09:42 AM
Annnd now it's wrapped filming.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom/tom-hardy-flexes-his-back-muscles-as-venom-wraps-principal-photography-a157399

Is it just me, or did that seem... quick?

I'd imagine most of the action scenes involve CGI, due to Venom, Carnage, and whoever else all the symbiote monsters are... fit a fairly generic human story around that with some generic set pieces, and nah, this makes sense.

Whether or not it bodes WELL for the film... well, that's a different matter!

Andrew NDB
01-29-2018, 09:50 AM
I'd imagine most of the action scenes involve CGI, due to Venom, Carnage, and whoever else all the symbiote monsters are... fit a fairly generic human story around that with some generic set pieces, and nah, this makes sense.

True... this might be like that movie "Frank," that was "starring" Michael Fassbender.

1A7iVIg_ry8

TurtleTitan97
02-07-2018, 10:24 AM
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2018/02/VNM_OnLine_1SHT_TSR_RD3DIMAX_01.jpg

ZariusTwo
02-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Trailer supposedly drops tomorrow

Spike Spiegel
02-08-2018, 07:41 AM
dzxFdtWmjto

I'd imagine the blond lady at 0:38 is supposed to be Brock's wife Ann Weying? It also seems like they may have adapted the cancer storyline from the comics. Too early to tell regarding anything else.

It actually looks decent, despite this trailer's lack of Hardy in full costume.

ZariusTwo
02-08-2018, 07:41 AM
xYG89rB6c5k

AquaParade
02-08-2018, 08:07 AM
You know fans are going to be disappointed when you release a “Venom” trailer without Venom.

Not salivating or curious. Disappointed and worried for the film.

Cure
02-08-2018, 08:16 AM
lol, I'll eat a f*cking hat if this actually comes out.

Better get that knife and fork ready.

Krutch
02-08-2018, 08:26 AM
Still optimistic.

They finished shooting less than a month ago, didn't they? How were people expecting a CGI heavy monster?

The only shot of the trailer I thought was a little groan-worthy was the shot of the symbiote in the jar with the cliche "young rich evil white guy."

Other than that, I thought it was fine.

Kinda reminded me of the Logan teaser tbh. The very first one.

AquaParade
02-08-2018, 08:46 AM
Still optimistic.

They finished shooting less than a month ago, didn't they? How were people expecting a CGI heavy monster?

The only shot of the trailer I thought was a little groan-worthy was the shot of the symbiote in the jar with the cliche "young rich evil white guy."

Other than that, I thought it was fine.

Kinda reminded me of the Logan teaser tbh. The very first one.

The expectation comes with the films title and the marketing hype leading up to this trailer.

It’s not the audience job to track when they finish filming and personally lower their expectations to match. Marketing needs to do a better job. Or wait. This if a film with an uphill battle to win fans over, due to Sony’s recent Spider-Man blunders and a lack of Spidey in this film (as far as we know).

For myself, I can say I’m still interested in the film but this probably lowered my anticipation rather than raise it. And it certainly doesn’t look like this trailer has won over the fan community online.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2018, 08:47 AM
dzxFdtWmjto

I'd imagine the blond lady at 0:38 is supposed to be Brock's wife Ann Weying? It also seems like they may have adapted the cancer storyline from the comics. Too early to tell regarding anything else.

It actually looks decent, despite this trailer's lack of Hardy in full costume.

If I didn't know that Venom was a Spidey villain, I'd have NO IDEA this is a comic book movie.

Venom without Spiderman... Joker without Batman... Deadpool without chimichangas...

This is messed up.

TurtleTitan97
02-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Not that impressed by the trailer either.

PApagreg
02-08-2018, 09:02 AM
If I didn't know that Venom was a Spidey villain, I'd have NO IDEA this is a comic book movie.

Venom without Spiderman... Joker without Batman... Deadpool without chimichangas...

This is messed up.

You know there has been tons of stories with Venom and Joker without their respective heroes right in fact I'm kind of hoping for more stand alone supervillian stories.

AquaParade
02-08-2018, 09:31 AM
You know there has been tons of stories with Venom and Joker without their respective heroes right in fact I'm kind of hoping for more stand alone supervillian stories.

For me, it's the origin that makes things weird. I don't mind having a Venom story without Spider-Man. But a Venom origin story without Spider-Man is a much harder sell.

oldmanwinters
02-08-2018, 09:37 AM
I actually think a stand-alone Black Cat movie would have made more sense than introducing Venom without a direct tie-in to Spider-man.

sdp
02-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Venom doesn't need Spider-Man but that doesn't mean they can't mess it up, in fact I don't trust Sony too much on this one but I think I've mentioned both these things in this thread before.

As far as the trailer, I like the voice of Eddy Brock and I really hope they go full 90s Spider-Man with symbiote crazyness if it's Venom vs Carnage, it should be a CGi-fest and gritty for the sake of it just like in the 90s. Anything else from the Lethal Protector and it won't be fun, it needs to be different to succeed just like Logan and Deadpool were able to.

oldmanwinters
02-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Venom doesn't need Spider-Man but that doesn't mean they can't mess it up, in fact I don't trust Sony too much on this one but I think I've mentioned both these things in this thread before.

Venom's identity for so many people is that he copied Spider-man's powers and is forever jilted from being rejected by Parker. It's gonna be hard to develop his characterization without Spider-man being linked to the story.

ZariusTwo
02-08-2018, 10:15 AM
I actually think a stand-alone Black Cat movie would have made more sense than introducing Venom without a direct tie-in to Spider-man.

The Black Cat movie is what Sony are shooting next.

sdp
02-08-2018, 10:19 AM
The Black Cat movie is what Sony are shooting next.

The Black Cat/Silver Sable movie has tons of potential, I hope they don't mess it up, but we'll see how Venom goes, if they do Venom justice then it can be a blast.

Venom's identity for so many people is that he copied Spider-man's powers and is forever jilted from being rejected by Parker. It's gonna be hard to develop his characterization without Spider-man being linked to the story.

I'm familiar with Venom, this doesn't need to be a straight up origin film, the symbiote could've alredy merged with spider-man in this universe before the movie, no reason for Eddie Brock to have hated Peter Parker or Spider-Man yet or even better maybe he did and he's past that. There are many ways to avoid the spider-man connection in the movie and have it be a solo Venom film.

Now if it's a straight up origin with absolutely no Spider-Man link and he's a hero then yeah it's going to suck. I'm just saying the spider-man link can be uper subtle in the actual movie or barely hinted at and that would work.

Andrew NDB
02-08-2018, 10:20 AM
It also seems like they may have adapted the cancer storyline from the comics.

I guess we have Deadpool to thank.

Autbot_Benz
02-08-2018, 11:12 AM
that teaser was meh ya lets show a teaser to the VENOM movie and not show VENOM in it. good job sony :roll:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2018, 11:30 AM
that teaser was meh ya lets show a teaser to the VENOM movie and not show VENOM in it. good job sony :roll:

To give credit where credit is due, I found the teaser intriguing.

But knowing that this is a Venom movie, which is being made by Sony, which probably won't have Spiderman in it, and (again) is being made by Sony...

I'm laughing like the CinemaSins guy over here. :tlol:

Andrew NDB
02-08-2018, 12:55 PM
But knowing that this is a Venom movie, which is being made by Sony, which probably won't have Spiderman in it, and (again) is being made by Sony...

Shall we consider it the... spiritual successor/spinoff of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2"?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Shall we consider it the... spiritual successor/spinoff of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2"?

Harsh and true. Spiderman 7: Sony Makes More Money, But Without Andrew Garfield, Toby Macguire, or Tom Holland!

TheSkeletonMan939
02-08-2018, 03:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzxFdtWmjto

Wow, I wasn't expecting anything and that still managed to underwhelm me.
This looks almost like some sort of creative writing prompt, where instead of saying, "I have a story to tell!" it says, "This trailer isn't actually about anything, instead use it to inspire your own story about a wayward action hero!"

Andrew NDB
02-08-2018, 04:07 PM
"Look, guys! We have Tom Hardy! WE HAVE TOM HARDY! He usually does fairly good movies, doesn't he?"

Andrew NDB
04-15-2018, 03:31 AM
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom/spoilers-heres-an-in-depth-look-at-the-rumored-and-sure-to-be-controversial-plot-leak-for-venom-a158864

Eh... maybe I should stop overestimating Sony.

ProphetofGanja
04-16-2018, 07:12 PM
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom/spoilers-heres-an-in-depth-look-at-the-rumored-and-sure-to-be-controversial-plot-leak-for-venom-a158864

Good god, that sounds terrible

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-16-2018, 07:16 PM

Oh yeah, I read that when CBM first posted it...

Terrifyingly believable.

I'll say at least 75% of it is absolutely in the final movie.

MikeandRaph87
04-16-2018, 07:39 PM
Do you all think Tom Hardy looks like Eddie Brock? I am having a hard time seeing it without blonde hair. Even if trying to depart from Topher Grace's portrayal Eddie needs to have blonde hair.

ProphetofGanja
04-16-2018, 08:16 PM
I literally could not care less about his hair color

Andrew NDB
04-23-2018, 04:20 PM
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom/venom-cinemacon-footage-leaks-online-get-your-first-look-at-tom-hardy-in-the-monstrous-symbiote-suit-a159929

First look at Venom, symbiote-style. Hurry.

Autbot_Benz
04-23-2018, 04:36 PM
here is a pic just in case the videos get taken down

https://i.imgur.com/mkKPF4s.jpg

Shark_Blade
04-23-2018, 05:25 PM
I have faith in this. I even like Venom in Spider-Man 3.

Andrew NDB
04-23-2018, 05:32 PM
Sadly, there really is absolutely no reason to have any faith in this beyond merely the presence of Tom Hardy. Sony's track record is crap after crap, none of the crew involved have any inspired successes behind them, Sony hasn't shown one iota that they've learned from any of their failures beyond their willingness to broker Spider-Man over to Marvel/Disney... and Marvel/Disney has nothing to do with this.

CyberCubed
04-23-2018, 05:44 PM
I'm currently watching through Tom Hardy movies on 1.5x times speed to catch up with his film career, he was awesome in Bronson from 2009 where he plays a London criminal. Tom Hardy ironically would have made a good Joker over Bane, in the movie he wears a clown make-up and laughs just like The Joker. I wonder if he auditioned for Joker before Heath Ledger got the role in 2008.

Gonna watch "Warrior" next which is that boxing movie, I've already seen him in Mad Maxx and in Leonardo Dicaprio's movies like Inception and Revenent. He was also in Star Trek Nemesis, lol.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-23-2018, 06:55 PM
I think I just saw a full 10% of the entirety of Venom's screentime! :tlol:

Krutch
04-23-2018, 07:07 PM
I think he looks fine. Looks like Venom to me.

Still holding any real judgement until the full trailer comes out. Still seems like this movie is getting an undeserved plethora of hate for what it is, though.

sdp
04-23-2018, 08:31 PM
I watched the leaked trailer and it looks pretty good, I'm impressed actually. I do think if they make it with 0 spider-man references it'll be annoying but so far so good.

Krutch
04-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Just watched the full leaked trailer.

It's what I expected, to be honest. I think it'll be a fun elseworlds tale.

I expected full well going into the making of this movie that it wasn't going to have any ties to Spider-Man so I knew from day 1 I shouldn't be judging this off how well it's adapting it's source material. Doesn't mean it can't be a fun movie that addresses the same themes of dual personalities though.

Autbot_Benz
04-23-2018, 09:13 PM
13rz0dWZMDs

Raph's Girl
04-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Official trailer.

Interesting that there's multiple symbiotes...

CnAN9Lyg4Ng

Autbot_Benz
04-23-2018, 10:26 PM
https://i.imgur.com/NcWZ2wF.jpg

MsMarvelDuckie
04-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Official trailer.

Interesting that there's multiple symbiotes...

CnAN9Lyg4Ng

Hmm, I noticed it too. Could the chick be Shriek? Might see Carnage, too. Could be interesting.

sdp
04-23-2018, 11:18 PM
Imagine how awesome it would be if Sony actually had gotten their sh-t together and made an awesome Spidey Universe? Besides X-Men it's one of the few heroes that has a large enough world that they could have various movies for their characters, maybe it's not too late and that Black Cat/Silver Sable movie also surprises and when they get Spidey back from their Marvel deal they make something cool.

I grew up with 90s Spider-Man so I think Venom might be my favorite Marvel character, while he's still popular today I don't think kids these days realize how big he was in the 90s. It took me a while for me to warm up to other spider-man villains since no one could match the awesomeness of Venom.

TurtleTitan97
04-24-2018, 12:01 AM
I'll give the trailer credit on one thing: That's a much better looking Venom than Raimi version.

Still think it's silly to make a Venom movie without Spider-Man's involvement.

Ninjinister
04-24-2018, 02:26 AM
That's not Hardy's actual voice, is it?

I don't remember him sounding that... way in Mad Max.

KillCrites
04-24-2018, 05:37 AM
I'm getting heavy Ghost Rider vibes from this trailer. Not good.

Shark_Blade
04-24-2018, 05:47 AM
I’m liking the trailer. The title says “Tom Hardy’s superhero movie”...

So Venom’s a hero now? Please don’t turn into crap like Maleficent....Sadly, there really is absolutely no reason to have any faith in this beyond merely the presence of Tom Hardy. Sony's track record is crap after crap, none of the crew involved have any inspired successes behind them, Sony hasn't shown one iota that they've learned from any of their failures beyond their willingness to broker Spider-Man over to Marvel/Disney... and Marvel/Disney has nothing to do with this.

The lack of Marvel/Disney is concerning, I thought they would be involved no matter how little. Guess he won’t be in MCU.

ZariusTwo
04-24-2018, 06:04 AM
So Venom’s a hero now?

Venom was always an anti-hero, his thing was about injustice. His creator actually had him make peace with Spidey back in the 90s before comic writers kept deciding to forget about that bit.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-24-2018, 08:52 AM
Heyo, not bad.

Tony Todd's voice, me thinks.

But I'm still 100% sure that's 10% of the entire Venom screentime.

And I still think this is a terrible idea, Venom without Spiderman. But my interest has been piqued. And I love me some Tom Hardy.

Alfie Solomons and Shinzon, mate.

plastroncafe
04-24-2018, 10:21 AM
I like just about everything, but I just can't take the Venom Symbiote seriously.

Andrew NDB
04-24-2018, 10:22 AM
It's what I expected, to be honest. I think it'll be a fun elseworlds tale.

Eh, that's kind of the vibe I'm getting. At best.

Something about that trailer seems really off to me but I can't put my finger on it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-24-2018, 10:44 AM
I like just about everything, but I just can't take the Venom Symbiote seriously.

Why not? Just too 90's?

MsMarvelDuckie
04-24-2018, 12:42 PM
I dunno. I just can't quite get behind such a drastic change to his origin. What happened to Brock "inheriting" the symbiote from Peter? The whole reason it has the look and abilities it does is because it attempted to bond with Spidey FIRST. Without that element, there is LITERALLY NO REASON for it to havce that specific appearance and the "web" imitation ability that Venom is known for. How are they going to explain that? I'm just feeling like he qill be Venom in name only, even if it IS still Brock. No vendetta against Peter, no history tying him to what made him Venom to begin with, it's just- It's like PD changing the origin of the turtles by taking Yoshi out of the picture. It just doesn't work to me. (And yeah, much as I enjoyed those movies, that part bothered me.)

plastroncafe
04-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Why not? Just too 90's?

It just looks a bit naff.

I dunno. I just can't quite get behind such a drastic change to his origin. What happened to Brock "inheriting" the symbiote from Peter? The whole reason it has the look and abilities it does is because it attempted to bond with Spidey FIRST. Without that element, there is LITERALLY NO REASON for it to havce that specific appearance and the "web" imitation ability that Venom is known for. How are they going to explain that? I'm just feeling like he qill be Venom in name only, even if it IS still Brock. No vendetta against Peter, no history tying him to what made him Venom to begin with, it's just- It's like PD changing the origin of the turtles by taking Yoshi out of the picture. It just doesn't work to me. (And yeah, much as I enjoyed those movies, that part bothered me.)

Yeah, I was curious about this...

sdp
04-24-2018, 01:27 PM
If a black man or a woman had been Eddie Brock, Plastron would be all over it and we all know it.

Talking about black men venom, maybe if this movie is a success Spawn's movie will finally come out after 15+ years of pre-production! And not the "Spawn will only appear in shadows" version.

Coola Yagami
04-26-2018, 06:56 AM
I love how Brock uses webs even when Spider-Man is not part of the picture. Also yes, in the comics, Brock is an anti-hero and all that.... but that was AFTER he got over his deal with Spider-Man. You can't just skip his origins and original motivations.

Honestly, this doesn't fit with the MCU. I mean, their Spidey is way too young to deal with this incarnation of Venom. He'd be destroyed. And yes, I understand that Spidey is facing Thanos, but he has a fifth of the MCU backing him, it's not one on one. Maybe Andrew Garfield's version.

The trailer also shows way too much Eddie Brock with some black webbing powers. Too much origin build up and Eddie dealing with hearing voices and whatnot. I'm getting the idea we're not seeing full Venom until the last 10 minutes or so of the movie.

Venom looks aight. I mean he looks better than the Topher Grace version, but is that really saying much? Is he gonna just be solid black all over since he has no reason to have a giant Spider-Man logo all over himself? That's like Punisher without the skull, or Spider-Man without the spider.

Andrew NDB
04-26-2018, 09:44 AM
I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but does anyone else notice the Venom trailer uses virtually the EXACT same music as one of the "Infinity War" trailers? It's like the same damn piece.

#desperation

CyberCubed
04-26-2018, 10:09 AM
If this movie is a success then this Venom will likely be involved in the MCU in some form. We're not going to get another Venom after this anytime soon.

You'll see Tom Hardy's Venom in a main Spiderman movie eventually. There's also a rumor that Tom Holland's Spiderman gets a small scene in this, so who knows.

Andrew NDB
04-26-2018, 10:17 AM
If this movie is a success then this Venom will likely be involved in the MCU in some form. We're not going to get another Venom after this anytime soon.

Both of that is true. It'll either be a hit, then Sony Venom will be quietly eased into the MCU proper... or it won't be a hit, and Sony Venom will be left alone to "cool" for a while before Marvel makes their own Venom.

You'll see Tom Hardy's Venom in a main Spiderman movie eventually.

Technically there's nothing stopping Sony from putting/forcing Venom into Spider-Man: Homecoming 2. I don't think that will happen, though, unless Venom is a huge hit.

There's also a rumor that Tom Holland's Spiderman gets a small scene in this, so who knows.

After watching the trailer I don't think that's going to happen anymore.

CyberCubed
04-26-2018, 10:18 AM
If it is a cameo it might be something minor like Batman's was in Suicide Squad.

sdp
04-26-2018, 12:10 PM
Weird how we don't really know if these movies will eventually be in continuity or not but I guess time will tell. I'd love to see a proper Venom as the villain and i hope in this movie he really is an anti-hero.

Andrew NDB
04-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Weird how we don't really know if these movies will eventually be in continuity or not but I guess time will tell.

Money will tell.

plastroncafe
04-26-2018, 12:21 PM
If a black man or a woman had been Eddie Brock, Plastron would be all over it and we all know it.

You're not wrong!
I mean, I'm not a huge fan of King's the Gunslinger, but I totally went to see that movie because of Idris Elba.
...oh wait, no, I haven't seen that movie.

Oh, I wasn't invested in the Fantastic Four, but I totally went to see that reboot with Michael B. Jordan.
Except, no I didn't see that one either.

Then there was Halle Barry as Catwoman! That I was totally...yeah, no. I'm not even going to attempt the necessary cynicism to make a play at that one.
I guess that means you are wrong.

CyberCubed
04-26-2018, 01:44 PM
I imagine Marvel wouldn't be too happy with alternate versions of the same characters in the movies these days. Like they're going to reboot Fantastic Four and probably eventually X-men, but to have a Venom or other Spiderman characters getting spinoff movies while the current Spiderman is part of the MCU and has his own movies...it's going to feel really weird. Then if they introduce another Venom the casual audience will be confused, why are there TWO Venom's, etc?

So...I imagine we'll either never see a Venom in the mainline Spiderman movies, or eventually this one.

Andrew NDB
04-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Might be the cost of doing business. i.e., Sony to Marvel: "How bad do you want to keep using Spider-Man in your movies? You better play ball and utilize Venom, too!"

Allio
04-26-2018, 02:07 PM
I probably already posted this, but this is still relevant

https://78.media.tumblr.com/36c321ec672aedceead5d0f5d630c19b/tumblr_p3ukueJKRy1tigjc8o1_500.jpg

Andrew NDB
04-26-2018, 02:18 PM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/36c321ec672aedceead5d0f5d630c19b/tumblr_p3ukueJKRy1tigjc8o1_500.jpg

If you think Marvel would "let" this happen, you're fooling yourself. They don't have any control of this. If they had any say, this would never happen at all.

Only thing I'm wondering is if Sony will make the most of this and go hard-R with "Venom." Like Fox (for now) with Deadpool and Logan, they're outside the Marvel umbrella so they can do whatever they want.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-26-2018, 03:08 PM
If you think Marvel would "let" this happen, you're fooling yourself. They don't have any control of this. If they had any say, this would never happen at all.

Only thing I'm wondering is if Sony will make the most of this and go hard-R with "Venom." Like Fox (for now) with Deadpool and Logan, they're outside the Marvel umbrella so they can do whatever they want.

Yeah, Marvel ain't steering this car. :tlol:

Really, I think Feige and Marvel and the Russo Bros should've held out and not used Spiderman in Civil War. Just wait until they get FULL RIGHTS back, and not share with greedy, stupid, shortsighted Sony. :trazz:

Andrew NDB
05-26-2018, 01:22 AM
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom/solo-actor-woody-harrelson-says-his-role-in-venom-is-small-but-promises-a-return-for-the-sequel-a160892

Yeah, seems like Harrelson will be Carnage. And just in a tiny capacity to tease the fans, like Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 did about, "Make this successful, we'll give you the SINISTER SIX!!"

CyberCubed
05-26-2018, 01:29 AM
I still wonder if this will wind up being part of the MCU. We're not going to have two different versions of Venom running around in movies at the same time confusing audiences.

Andrew NDB
05-26-2018, 01:41 AM
I still wonder if this will wind up being part of the MCU. We're not going to have two different versions of Venom running around in movies at the same time confusing audiences.

It's kind of like a paradox to contemplate. On the one hand, Sony could easily try and force or leverage Spider-Man at Disney with "You need to use our Venom and make it part of your MCU!" but if they did... you would think Kevin Feige and such would want to be more hands-on about it for reasons of mutual benefit. On the other... it's weird that the possibility is still there that whether Venom fails or succeeds... Disney can just make its own Venom in the MCU as long as Sony is OK with that. And then there's still the reports of Tom Holland being seen on set as Peter Parker...

Shesus, I have no idea.

Coola Yagami
05-26-2018, 06:13 PM
I'd hate to see the MCU falter like that. We don't need Venom (or at least this version of Venom) in the MCU any time soon unless they do it right and have black suit Tom Holland Spider-Man first.

You guys seem to forget Spider-Man has tons more villains. Homecoming 2 possibly having Mysterio and Keaton returning as Vulture already sounds more bad-ass then them trying to cram a non MCU Venom into it.

The Tom Holland cameo in this movie won't work. What are they gonna do? have black suit Spider-Man swinging around and say 'oh, that happened in another movie you'll never get to see'. At most Tom's cameo makes more sense as a Stan Lee cameo.

Honestly woulda made more sense to have Andrew come back if they desperately need a Spider-Man cameo, cause this version of Venom doesn't fit with the MCU.

Krutch
05-27-2018, 07:30 PM
I have a feeling Tom Holland appearing in Venom is completely bogus.

Andrew NDB
05-27-2018, 07:33 PM
I have a feeling Tom Holland appearing in Venom is completely bogus.

Or maybe he really did just stop by to visit the set.

Coola Yagami
05-28-2018, 07:17 AM
Or maybe he really did just stop by to visit the set.

Maybe he'll just cameo as himself and not Spider-Man

AquaParade
05-28-2018, 07:35 AM
I’m definitely not betting on seeing Tom Holland’s Peter Parker in this.

John Schnepp at Collider Videos essentially started the rumor that it was definitely happening. He’s a great enthusiast for comics, a funny guy, but a little bull-headed when it comes to industry rumors/gossip.

Coola Yagami
05-29-2018, 07:35 AM
I’m definitely not betting on seeing Tom Holland’s Peter Parker in this.

John Schnepp at Collider Videos essentially started the rumor that it was definitely happening. He’s a great enthusiast for comics, a funny guy, but a little bull-headed when it comes to industry rumors/gossip.

Plus the cameo would be pointless. Peter Parker's involvement in Venom's origin is more than just a cameo.

I think what's gonna happen is the entire movie will have 0 to do with Spider-Man (which is stupid and doesn't explain why movie Venom uses webs) but we'll see a cameo on tv or a billboard or something as a throwaway non-plot related cameo... and all the comic geeks are gonna be like 'See? Spider-Man was in it! It's 100% like the comics now!'

We only saw Venom's face in the trailer. His full body is gonna look boring all in black without the spider logo to break it up some.

Autbot_Benz
07-13-2018, 01:57 PM
Say hello to Venom

https://i.imgur.com/eoyzPlT.jpg

Coola Yagami
07-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Say hello to Venom

https://i.imgur.com/eoyzPlT.jpg

Another face shot. Guess they're afraid to show wether or not he'll have the spider logo across his chest.

TurtleTitan97
07-31-2018, 07:16 AM
xLCn88bfW1o

Coola Yagami
07-31-2018, 07:46 AM
God damn. If we can forget Spider-Man exists and see Venom as a stand alone character, then damn, this could be a good movie.

AquaParade
07-31-2018, 08:36 AM
Such a fascinating film. From the start of production to this trailer, I still can't really believe it's happening.

That trailer didn't come off too great to me. While the dialogue was worth a chuckle, I don't think it makes the film appear to be very well written, overall. And despite loving the look of the symbiotes, it's going to be a challenge for them to get me invested in two cgi-monsters duking it out on screen.

I'm still looking forward to this, but if it turns out the way I think, I'll definitely be waiting for home-release.

Coola Yagami
07-31-2018, 08:44 AM
Only minor nitpick... why was Venom using sharp items like Carnage? I know technically Venom could do that if he wanted but turning your hands/arms into blade objects is Carnage's thing.

CyberCubed
07-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Yeah, if this does well this will definitely be the Venom you wind up seeing in the MCU.

TigerClaw
07-31-2018, 09:15 PM
I read that this movie is going to be R rated.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/07/24/venom-r-rating-violence-director-ruben-fleischer/
Speaking to ComicBook.com at San Diego Comic Con, Venom director Ruben Fleischer was asked if his film is approaching an R-rating or, at the very least, pushing the boundaries of violence and darkness. After all, Venom is a character known to be quite intimidating in Marvel Comics, given his violent and horrifying nature.

"That's the plan," Fleischer said. "It is not the plan, that's the movie. Our movie wants to honor the comics as close as we can tonally. In the comics, he bites people's heads off and eats brains. It would be weird to make a movie with Venom if he wasn't doing that. We tried to honor it as closely as possible. This is definitely a darker, more violent, more vicious Marvel character than I think anyone's ever seen before."

Shark_Blade
07-31-2018, 09:55 PM
I hope they won’t turn Venom into a good guy aka Maleficent. :trolleye:

Let villains/anti-heroes be who they truly are. Still, I’m very excited for this.