PDA

View Full Version : Official Episode Discussion S5 Ep 01: Scroll of the Demodragon

victory_angel
03-18-2017, 09:20 PM
So here we are...the final season of TMNT 2012 is starting.

Following the death of Master Splinter, the Turtles must find their way in a world where their father and master no longer exists. Fortunately, they don't have to worry about the Shredder being a threat in their lives...or do they.

Shredder's henchmen are still at large and Tigerclaw aims to summon a demonic creature known as Kavaxas. But for what purpose? And what threat would Kavaxas have upon the city?

Ninjinister
03-19-2017, 02:17 AM
The new in-show show?

Space Heroes: The Next Generation
Most copies where thrown into a landfill because they were deemed "too disturbing."

neatoman
03-19-2017, 02:31 AM
The new in-show show?

Most copies where thrown into a landfill because they were deemed "too disturbing."

So is...
... There a possibility Not-Picard is actually voiced by Patrick Stewart?

Ninjinister
03-19-2017, 02:34 AM
Wait I forgot we don't need to use spoilers lmao

Nah, it's old fat balding Capt. Ryan. He slaps around Crankshaw Jr.

Ha ha the illustration of Kavaxas they use. It's the Hothead action figure.

The episode seemed super short to me for some reason, like only 15 minutes long.

Vicky82
03-19-2017, 03:01 AM
Wow good episode, pretty intense.

Space Heroes the Next Generation :lol:

Love the family photo of Splinter and the turtle tots, so adorable.

Donnie making tracking devices out of furbys :lol:

I like that Casey is still using his new mask.

MarsicornYT
03-19-2017, 05:40 AM
Good start to Season 5 :D I loved this episode.
Leo's gonna need some new swords now.

ToTheNines
03-19-2017, 07:20 AM
I wonder what he's so excited about? Maybe the season 5 cartoon is Space Heroes: TNG :tlol:

Called it.

JTH
03-19-2017, 07:24 AM

Can't believe I called that nearly 4 years ago. Yay!

Cyndaquilfan123
03-19-2017, 07:38 AM
Is it just me, or did this episode seem darker then the rest of the show so far?

Vicky82
03-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Is it just me, or did this episode seem darker then the rest of the show so far?

No Darkest Plight and Requiem are more darker than this episode.

Aaronardo
03-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Well, that was everything a season premiere should be.

I liked how many of the plot threads that are probably going to pop out throughout the season were explored here, and the ideas that were explored here were ones I really can't wait to see unfold.

The humor was pretty good, as well. I did like Space Heroes: The Next Generation especially, but there are some other pretty good moments here as well.

Kavaxas was a badass with a purpose. Miles better than Dregg from last season. We didn't see much of him, but I haven't seen such a hopeless fight in this show since The Gauntlet. Can't wait to see more of him.

That INTRO. Ohhhh that intro. What a step-up from the original. Instrumental and a LOT more visually interesting. Some really good stuff there.

My only real criticism (there are other minuscule things, like Kavaxas's mouth) is, as almost always, Casey. Like always, an annoying little sh*t. Not as much here as some other episodes, but this bastardized version of him is still here and I still hate it. Luckily, he's not that big a part of the episode.

Great stuff all around. If the rest of Season 5 is like this, I'll definitely see why Ciro called it his favorite.

BubblyShell22
03-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Awesome start to the final season. So glad they have Space Heroes: The Next Generation as the new in-show. Good call, Nines and JTH. Geeky Leo is awesome and I'm so glad they kept that side of him and didn't just make him all serious after Splinter's death. Also loved the talk Leo had with Splinter though I feel that maybe Donnie is going to talk to the others and tell them that he thinks Leo is losing it. Kavaxas is an awesome character and I definitely can't wait to see more of him in future episodes. Hamill did an awesome job with that voice. Overall, an interesting start to the final season. Can't wait to see what else is in store for our heroes. I also loved the new intro and felt it was very fitting though the old one is still a favorite of mine.

ToTheNines
03-19-2017, 08:19 AM
So my DVR did not like the new title lol. Luckily I tuned in towards the end of the new theme song. Was there an intro scene before the song?

Vicky82
03-19-2017, 08:28 AM
So my DVR did not like the new title lol. Luckily I tuned in towards the end of the new theme song. Was there an intro scene before the song?

Yeah there was, Raph and Casey going after this new creature and got ambushed by a group of them.

ToTheNines
03-19-2017, 08:53 AM
I figured that's all it was, thanks.

I loved it, especially the new polished look the 2D sequences have. Interesting that only TC was there. Maybe all the other mutants died and Kavaxas brings them back first? I hope Shredder is just a mindless zombie when he comes back, his arc as an actual character is over.

Also hope Karai kills him this time.

kelligrafie
03-19-2017, 10:28 AM
I figured that's all it was, thanks.

I loved it, especially the new polished look the 2D sequences have. Interesting that only TC was there. Maybe all the other mutants died and Kavaxas brings them back first? I hope Shredder is just a mindless zombie when he comes back, his arc as an actual character is over.

Also hope Karai kills him this time.

In the series preview you can see Rahzar standing by the remains of Shredder, plus Baxter, Beebop & Rocksteady all survived the finale. I think the only henchman that could truly have died was Xever. There's no way anyone got to him before he ran out of air.

This episode was a bit hit and miss for me. It's not like I went in with a clear vision of what I expected, I was open to anything but it just... I can't explain. Maybe it'll get better after I watch it a few more times.

I like Kavaxas (Mark Hamill - divine).
I love the new intro.
I love all the little nods to things like furbies, VHS tapes, how Space Heroes: The Next Generation used the same font as Star Trek: The Next Generation.
I like how April's powers weren't enough when they're usually treated like a miracle in a bag that suddenly save the day when all hope is last.

But I find it weird that we can see a dislocated shoulder being popped back in but the creatures tried to sacrifice someone using a pipette. A PIPETTE. Bent shoulder = ok, dagger = not ok? Some Nickelodeon logic right there.

When April tried to protect the others with a psychic shield (I dunno what to call it) and they all ran for safety and let Kavaxas go at her when she clearly had no chance. They took forever to intervene as well. April could've ended up as a Kavaxas kebab.

Also, team turtle can't defeat the evil minions, let alone Kavaxas. How are they going to show the power balance evening out realistically in however many episodes?

Vicky82
03-19-2017, 10:37 AM
But I find it weird that we can see a dislocated shoulder being popped back in but the creatures tried to sacrifice someone using a pipette. A PIPETTE. Bent shoulder = ok, dagger = not ok? Some Nickelodeon logic right there.

You know that pipette had some stuff in it right, probably some sort of mutagen that was turning humans into those creatures.

victory_angel
03-19-2017, 10:37 AM
In the series preview you can see Rahzar standing by the remains of Shredder, plus Baxter, Beebop & Rocksteady all survived the finale. I think the only henchman that could truly have died was Xever. There's no way anyone got to him before he ran out of air.

This episode was a bit hit and miss for me. It's not like I went in with a clear vision of what I expected, I was open to anything but it just... I can't explain. Maybe it'll get better after I watch it a few more times.

I like Kavaxas (Mark Hamill - divine).
I love the new intro.
I love all the little nods to things like furbies, VHS tapes, how Space Heroes: The Next Generation used the same font as Star Trek: The Next Generation.
I like how April's powers weren't enough when they're usually treated like a miracle in a bag that suddenly save the day when all hope is last.

When April tried to protect the others with a psychic shield (I dunno what to call it) and they all ran for safety and let Kavaxas go at her when she clearly had no chance. They took forever to intervene as well. April could've ended up as a Kavaxas kebab.

Also, team turtle can't defeat the evil minions, let alone Kavaxas. How are they going to show the power balance evening out realistically in however many episodes?

Xever was actually close enough to the water to crawl in when the turtles and co weren't paying him any mind.

ToTheNines
03-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Seems to me that they'd just have to get that medallion from TigerClaw and then they can boss Kavaxas around.

Forgot to mention the Ghosbusters reference, love it!

kelligrafie
03-19-2017, 10:43 AM
You know that pipette had some stuff in it right, probably some sort of mutagen that was turning humans into those creatures.

Still looked funny. "I'm going to dripdrop you to death."

Vicky82
03-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Still looked funny. "I'm going to dripdrop you to death."

They weren't killing humans just turning them into those creatures.

ToTheNines
03-19-2017, 10:50 AM
So is...
... There a possibility Not-Picard is actually voiced by Patrick Stewart?

That would have been cool. Seeing as how he's TMNT alum, and he would have been in the same episode as Luke Skywalker lol.

But I'll take fat, balding Captain Ryan. He was always my favorite of these oafish protagonists.

TigerClaw
03-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Finally saw the episode, Thought it was pretty good, Nice to see a new version of Space Heroes, but a lot more twisted this time.

I think Mark Hamill did a good job with Kavaxas, but its hard to get over the fact, that were hearing the Joker voice, Which I have no problems with. :)

Wait I forgot we don't need to use spoilers lmao

Nah, it's old fat balding Capt. Ryan. He slaps around Crankshaw Jr.

The episode seemed super short to me for some reason, like only 15 minutes long.
Yep, Looks like.

http://i67.tinypic.com/ebeaki.jpg

http://www.kaptainmyke.com/catalog/images/personal/hotheadlaird.jpg

matteso586
03-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Kavaxas and Ho Chan have something in common. Some of their respective backstory is shown in text on a computer. But only for a few seconds.

It seems that something is going to happen to April by the end of this arc.

Splinter's spirit showing up reminds me of Brainiac's role in Justice League: Unlimited season 3.

TLP
03-19-2017, 02:14 PM
With all the dark, traumatizing sh*t that the turtles had to go through out this entire show, I'm surprised that severe PTSD isn't something they've touched on much other than Splinter's death.

I hope Tiger Claw gets a satisfying demise at the end of this arc. Preferably dragged to hell by Kavaxas.

Tarris Vaal
03-19-2017, 03:10 PM
I am curious how Raph and Casey survived the early stages of the episode.

I mean that could easily have ended with one or both of them being dragged off and mutated by the cultists (which i know wasn't confirmed, but was strongly implied). Mikey as well for that matter.

oldmanwinters
03-19-2017, 04:01 PM

Yeah, I was stunned when I realized it was already 9:22 and it seemed like Kavaxas just emerged. The pacing on this reminded me of something out of a Dragonball Z episode during a World Tournament arc.

"Too disturbing for children" haha!

I was creeped out when Kavaxas decided he wanted to consume April to absorb her power. Something tells me that's going to be a major plot point for at least the next few episodes that he appears in. Whereas the Kraang were after April in the first season, now Kavaxas wants her to increase his power... and maybe to break free of Tigerclaw's mystic hold over him. And that reminds me of another Dragonball Z memory...
vXvDqi9MN9E

ToTheNines
03-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Yeah, pacing was slower on this one. To be expected in part 1 of a 4-episode arc.

Venom
03-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Xever was actually close enough to the water to crawl in when the turtles and co weren't paying him any mind.

Exactly. If any of the henchmen died, it would've been Rahzar.

CyberCubed
03-19-2017, 06:12 PM
I didn't see anything off with the pacing, it's a multi-part episode. First half was basically just them going after the cultist creatures.

FredWolfLeonardo
03-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Great episode.

1. I was surprised that none of the mutant henchmen were among Tiger Claw in the episode, I could've sworn I saw them in a preview.

2. Anyways, I like many things about this episode, most notably Kavaxas. What an awesome villain, especially when you're voiced by the Joker. Along with him, I found his backstory and his cult members to be pretty fascinating.

3. Casey keeping his new mask was a new touch which I liked.

4. Nice to see the turtles coping well with Splinter's death, and Leonardo especially trying to honour his father's legacy by being the new sensei.

5. Space Heroes is finally back!! :D

6. Also, am I the only one who noticed all the turtles having red masks in the opening theme?

7. Regarding the villains, what exactly happened to the foot? I remember Tiger Claw saying that they went into hiding after Shredder's death but they're simply absent here. Are the ghoul creatures supposed to be new members of the foot? Someone help me, I'm confused.

CyberCubed
03-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Anyone find it bizarre Tiger Claw put on a new voice just to talk to his cultist henchmen, then started talking with his normal voice after he took off his robe? What was the point other than to trick kids into thinking it was a new villain?

ssjup81
03-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Anyone find it bizarre Tiger Claw put on a new voice just to talk to his cultist henchmen, then started talking with his normal voice after he took off his robe? What was the point other than to trick kids into thinking it was a new villain?You just answered your own question. :P

CyberCubed
03-19-2017, 06:59 PM
I'm surprised Mark Hammil had time to voice this character in the next few episodes when he's busy filming Star Wars Episode 8 and probably 9 right now. Those movies are filmed in Europe, how did Nick get him into their American recording studios in California or wherever it is?

oldmanwinters
03-19-2017, 06:59 PM
You just answered your own question. :P

Too bad they gave that twist away in the previews weeks ago! :tlol:

Anybody else think it's weird that the "Foot" went underground but only Tigerclaw was present at the summoning of their great Red Hope?

MikeandRaph87
03-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Whoever Tiger Claw's followers are supposed to be, they look strikingly like Sand People from Tattooine. Coincidence since Mark Hamill is voicing Kavaxas?

FredWolfLeonardo
03-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Anybody else think it's weird that the "Foot" went underground but only Tigerclaw was present at the summoning of their great Red Hope?

Thats what Im wondering too. Did he lose all of his robots? Are there any more human foot soldiers? Where were the mutant henchmen during the summoning? I think those questions might be answered in the episode, "The forgotten Swordsman" where Karai is trying to get the Kuro Kabuto.

TurtleTitan97
03-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Whoever Tiger Claw's followers are supposed to be, they look strikingly like Sand People from Tattooine. Coincidence since Mark Hamill is voicing Kavaxas?

I think you're confusing Sand People with Jawas, because the cultists look nothing like Sand People.

TigerClaw
03-19-2017, 07:21 PM
I think you're confusing Sand People with Jawas, because the cultists look nothing like Sand People.
You're right, They look a bit like Jawas.

ssjup81
03-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Too bad they gave that twist away in the previews weeks ago! :tlol:

Anybody else think it's weird that the "Foot" went underground but only Tigerclaw was present at the summoning of their great Red Hope?True, but how many little kids get online to watch junk like that. lol

MikeandRaph87
03-19-2017, 07:30 PM
I get the two mixed up, but yes Jawas. I don't know if its because Hamill is voicing Kavaxas Xiro and Co. thought Jawas should summon Luke Skywalker or it was a coincidence.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/56/Jawas.png/revision/latest?cb=20150728165709

Powder
03-19-2017, 07:34 PM
This was SO good, wow. Loved the many hilarious references, & what an amazing score for this episode!

ToTheNines
03-19-2017, 07:35 PM
I'm surprised Mark Hammil had time to voice this character in the next few episodes when he's busy filming Star Wars Episode 8 and probably 9 right now. Those movies are filmed in Europe, how did Nick get him into their American recording studios in California or wherever it is?

He only did 4 episodes. He only would have had to have been home for 1 month to make his recordings, if he even did them with the rest of the cast in-studio.

lonewarrior20
03-19-2017, 07:41 PM
the cult members remind me of c.h.u.d.s
WqDToaLuJ7I

MikeandRaph87
03-19-2017, 07:43 PM
He only did 4 episodes. He only would have had to have been home for 1 month to make his recordings, if he even did them with the rest of the cast in-studio.

Sam Regiel moved to the opposite coast and recorded his lines from his own studio in his home during the third season of TMNT (2003). Hamill could have easily done the same. When did Rob Paulsen tweet the script for this episode, September 2015? Not being required to tour to promote The Force Awakens it could easily fit in his schedule.

Do you all see any of the other henchmutants getting involved?

JTH
03-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Liked how they introduced the beginning of the aftermath of Splinter's death.

Leo's questionable decisions during the episode along when Donnie caught Leo "talking to himself" in the dojo, looks like they might be leading to the others thinking that Leo is going crazy and may no longer be fit to lead them.

Be interesting to see where they go from here.

oldmanwinters
03-19-2017, 09:26 PM
True, but how many little kids get online to watch junk like that. lol

Wasn't it also on the TV promo that aired after Owari?

neatoman
03-20-2017, 02:22 AM
I get the two mixed up, but yes Jawas. I don't know if its because Hamill is voicing Kavaxas Xiro and Co. thought Jawas should summon Luke Skywalker or it was a coincidence.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/56/Jawas.png/revision/latest?cb=20150728165709

Wootini!!!

ssjup81
03-20-2017, 04:36 AM

Leo's questionable decisions during the episode along when Donnie caught Leo "talking to himself" in the dojo, looks like they might be leading to the others thinking that Leo is going crazy and may no longer be fit to lead them.

Be interesting to see where they go from here.I noticed this too. I really hope they go someplace with this.

Wasn't it also on the TV promo that aired after Owari?I'm not sure, as I've never seen a solitary ep on actual television back home. I moved back to Japan in 2012 and didn't start watching it until 2014. I've lived in Japan for its entire run.

BubblyShell22
03-20-2017, 06:51 AM

Be interesting to see where they go from here.

Yep, I can see Donnie voicing this to the others and saying that Leo is definitely losing his mind and the others may start questioning him as to why he thinks he's talking to Splinter. Will definitely be interesting to see where this goes.

victory_angel
03-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Yep, I can see Donnie voicing this to the others and saying that Leo is definitely losing his mind and the others may start questioning him as to why he thinks he's talking to Splinter. Will definitely be interesting to see where this goes.

Losing his mind might be rather harsh. After all we do see Don look up to the photo of Splinter with the four of them when they were around 5-6 years old. And Leo is able to tap into more spiritual aspects.

I think it would be a revisit of the convo they had on the Ulixes when Leo was talking the hologram of Splinter.

Raph was commenting on how unhealthy that is.

Don was neutral on it, he understood the reason but was also doubious about it

And Mikey felt Leo was doing what he felt he needed to do

THGhost
03-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Great episode. I know a lot of you no doubt already knew about Kavaxas and Mark Hamill voicing him, but I try to keep stuff like that a surprise for myself. Man was that good.

"Booyaka-bunga?" :lol:

Donnie making tracking devices out of furbys :lol:

I thought they were Furbys :lol:

I dunno about darker, but it has a different feel to it. Can't quite put my finger on it.

I think Mark Hamill did a good job with Kavaxas, but its hard to get over the fact, that were hearing the Joker voice, Which I have no problems with. :)

This voice sounds more raspy than Joker's voice imho.

Anyone find it bizarre Tiger Claw put on a new voice just to talk to his cultist henchmen, then started talking with his normal voice after he took off his robe? What was the point other than to trick kids into thinking it was a new villain?

Didn't even notice that.

Actors can record their voices away from Nick's studios.

BubblyShell22
03-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Losing his mind might be rather harsh. After all we do see Don look up to the photo of Splinter with the four of them when they were around 5-6 years old. And Leo is able to tap into more spiritual aspects.

I think it would be a revisit of the convo they had on the Ulixes when Leo was talking the hologram of Splinter.

Raph was commenting on how unhealthy that is.

Don was neutral on it, he understood the reason but was also doubious about it

And Mikey felt Leo was doing what he felt he needed to do

Yes, but the hologram was different than this. I can see Don maybe questioning the logic of it and possibly feeling like Leo can't let go of Splinter and is still holding onto something or he think Leo is losing his mind due to grief. That's just how I interpret it, but we'll see how it goes.

kelligrafie
03-20-2017, 04:18 PM
It seems like Mark's been able to do more than one session with various different actors.

I've seen pictures of him with Eric Bauza (Tiger Claw) and Jessica DiCicco, who's also lined up to be in the show, most likely in an Kavaxas episode but I don't think her role is properly announced.

ssjup81
03-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Okay, at work on a decent computer and can finally give my opinions on this episode. First of all, I’m not sure if I missed it, but how much time has passed since “Owari” and this episode? I would assume that it took Tigerclaw a bit of time to gather all those guys to help him and collect the things he needed..

Anywho, it was a nice introduction to this season. I really like the fact that they’re letting Casey keep the new mask. I really like it. This episode also had kind of a season 1 feel to it. I can’t explain it. The way Raph and Mikey bickered, the feel of the ep…I just can’t explain it. It feels like this season is going to come full circle, creating a nice bookend to the series…but I know it’s too early to say this for sure.

The new intro is starting to grow on me. It doesn’t hype me like the previous seasons’ intros, but it’s still good.

The cultists thing…it felt too on the nose. The dialogue at the beginning between Raph and Casey felt like, “We already read the script and know for sure that these strange creatures wandering the sewers are part of a cult. They can’t be a bunch of guys dressed for a Star Wars convention who like hanging in the sewers because they have no other friends.” :-P

Oh man, I love the fact that we get to see geeky Leo again. Junk like this, is why this Leo is my favorite incarnation of him of the ones I’ve been exposed to. I love how crazy he got after realizing that the videos Mikey picked up was of Space Heroes TNG. I was literally “lol” over it, especially after Donnie said that the show was apparently, not good for kids or whatever. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of this series. I want to know what was controversial about it, and what its real-world equivalent will be. lol

The summoning of Hothead Joker was interesting and he seems like he’ll definitely be a challenge to defeat. The fact that he knows that April has powers and wants to absorb her powers to become stronger will definitely be fun to see, I feel.

I guess the highlight for me this episode was Leo and the potential this season may have regarding him. He still occasionally receive visits from Splinter. Donnie catching him makes me wonder, like most here, if there is going to be a situation where they’re going to think that Leo isn’t up to being leader or that maybe he’s stressing out and stuff. I also like how Leo is kind of reverting back to his season 1 self slightly. It’s like he’s learning how to lead all over again. The way he gave orders this episode showed that he has self-doubt, only this time, Leo has no one he can confide his worries in, ‘cept for when Splinter comes around and speaking of that…I really hope that they let Splinter appear to the other three at some point, or at least Mikey. Why bring up that Leo and Mikey are the most spiritual of the four and not utilize that, even if it’s only a little? Oh and speaking of Mikey, he seemed to get hurt/attacked quite a bit this episode. Foreshadowing maybe?

Okay, so that’s about all I can say. Overall, good episode, nice introduction, despite the pacing feeling a bit faster than usual, but it was okay, but I still wonder if we’re going to get a super serious Leo situation where he overworks his brothers to the point of them rebelling against him. Oh and I’m curious where the other henchmutants are. We know that Xever survived, but seems the others would’ve been around or shown helping Tigerclaw or something.

victory_angel
03-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Okay, at work on a decent computer and can finally give my opinions on this episode. First of all, I’m not sure if I missed it, but how much time has passed since “Owari” and this episode? I would assume that it took Tigerclaw a bit of time to gather all those guys to help him and collect the things he needed..

Anywho, it was a nice introduction to this season. I really like the fact that they’re letting Casey keep the new mask. I really like it. This episode also had kind of a season 1 feel to it. I can’t explain it. The way Raph and Mikey bickered, the feel of the ep…I just can’t explain it. It feels like this season is going to come full circle, creating a nice bookend to the series…but I know it’s too early to say this for sure.

The new intro is starting to grow on me. It doesn’t hype me like the previous seasons’ intros, but it’s still good.

The cultists thing…it felt too on the nose. The dialogue at the beginning between Raph and Casey felt like, “We already read the script and know for sure that these strange creatures wandering the sewers are part of a cult. They can’t be a bunch of guys dressed for a Star Wars convention who like hanging in the sewers because they have no other friends.” :-P

Oh man, I love the fact that we get to see geeky Leo again. Junk like this, is why this Leo is my favorite incarnation of him of the ones I’ve been exposed to. I love how crazy he got after realizing that the videos Mikey picked up was of Space Heroes TNG. I was literally “lol” over it, especially after Donnie said that the show was apparently, not good for kids or whatever. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of this series. I want to know what was controversial about it, and what its real-world equivalent will be. lol

The summoning of Hothead Joker was interesting and he seems like he’ll definitely be a challenge to defeat. The fact that he knows that April has powers and wants to absorb her powers to become stronger will definitely be fun to see, I feel.

I guess the highlight for me this episode was Leo and the potential this season may have regarding him. He still occasionally receive visits from Splinter. Donnie catching him makes me wonder, like most here, if there is going to be a situation where they’re going to think that Leo isn’t up to being leader or that maybe he’s stressing out and stuff. I also like how Leo is kind of reverting back to his season 1 self slightly. It’s like he’s learning how to lead all over again. The way he gave orders this episode showed that he has self-doubt, only this time, Leo has no one he can confide his worries in, ‘cept for when Splinter comes around and speaking of that…I really hope that they let Splinter appear to the other three at some point, or at least Mikey. Why bring up that Leo and Mikey are the most spiritual of the four and not utilize that, even if it’s only a little? Oh and speaking of Mikey, he seemed to get hurt/attacked quite a bit this episode. Foreshadowing maybe?

Okay, so that’s about all I can say. Overall, good episode, nice introduction, despite the pacing feeling a bit faster than usual, but it was okay, but I still wonder if we’re going to get a super serious Leo situation where he overworks his brothers to the point of them rebelling against him. Oh and I’m curious where the other henchmutants are. We know that Xever survived, but seems the others would’ve been around or shown helping Tigerclaw or something.

Agree with much of this.

I would also like to note the scene where Leo says "Donnie, were going to need some upgrade." Donnie's reaction particularly when Casey says "Can we say two or three dozen tanks" Clearly indicates that he feels this is a very tall order even for someone of his talents. Particularly since magic and spiritual forces aren't his area of expertise. And Casey suggesting that he make a large number of military grade weapons that would be essentially useless against someone like Kavaxas doesn't help matters.

That was one area about the fifth season of the 2k3 I found BS'iy. The fact that Chaplin was able to augment all the guns and blasters in the Foot HQ to withstand against ghosts and spiritual entities.

After all Technology and magic are two different things, and while there are plausible ways to make technology and magic work together in certain media. The two forces don't always combine well. There have been cases where technological devices such as cell phones and watches have gone on the friz or stopped working in areas that are haunted. Or areas where the energies of the earth coalesce into vortexs (Many of these are used as tourist traps) such as around Sedona, Arizona.

That's also why in films sending the army against something like a god or a being from another plane of existence is often useless in films and anime.

One such example is the show Armor Legend Samurai Troopers AKA Ronin Warriors. In the first couple of episodes the Evil Dynasty takes over the city of Tokyo. When the invasion begins all the Cars and technology stop working. And then in the first half of the second episode the JSDF is scrambled to take out the Dynasty and instead many or their weapons are either powerless against Emperor Arago's (Talpa's)might, or they are turned against their own.

neatoman
03-21-2017, 04:45 AM
So how long before virtually everyone calls Kavaxas Hothead?

ssjup81
03-21-2017, 04:48 AM
So how long before virtually everyone calls Kavaxas Hothead?I don't think it will, honestly.

Ninturtle
03-21-2017, 04:52 AM

How do we know that will happen? He hasn't been promoted as Hot Head at all, it could just be obscure reference like a Kirby Bat being called Wing Nut.

ssjup81
03-21-2017, 07:08 AM
How do we know that will happen? He hasn't been promoted as Hot Head at all, it could just be obscure reference like a Kirby Bat being called Wing Nut.Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I figured the hothead thing was going to be an obscure reference. We'll see, though.

THGhost
03-21-2017, 08:27 AM

I'm not calling him that. :P

neatoman
03-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Well, I mean... Mikey called him that... Twice. How many of his nicknames haven't stuck?

Does anyone not in the Foot Clan still use Bradford, Xever, Jason, Steranko, Zeck, Vic, Antonio or Belebome to refer to those characters?

IndigoErth
03-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Liked this ep pretty well. Kind of a refreshing start to the last season.

That twinge of sarcasm in that "yes master"... Tiger Claw is so screwed at the end of this arc. If Kavaxas doesn't turn on him (and perhaps drag him back to the underworld with him - and resurrected Shredder if it gets that far?) I'll be surprised.

I like the new opening theme, though the lack of lyrics feels odd.

I hope Splinter does appear to the others at some point. I'm almost a tiny bit surprised he hasn't shown up to Leo as human Yoshi. Since Tang Shen has technically met the Turtles once, I kind of wish Splinter/Yoshi would have reconnected with her and brought her along at some point.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
03-21-2017, 01:44 PM
The J-Man TurtleMan's thoughts on this episode:
https://youtu.be/jEXmekn6fJE

GoldMutant
03-25-2017, 03:14 PM
A continuous struggle for the Nick TMNT is trying to establish its season with the first episode. With the exception of the series' first two episodes, Rise of the Turtles, other episodes do not do their season justice and make the mark rather low or hit and miss personally. Chalk it up to bad writing for not enough interesting scenarios, but it seems to be the case. Mutation Situation had the series return to staus quo much more negatively in season 2. Within the Woods, while a guilty pleasure of mine due to my slight enjoyment of Friday the 13th, lacks anything engaging after Showdown. Beyond the Known Universe also suffered; despite crisp animation, its writing was rather questionable and didn't leave a strong impact for the space arc, let alone season 4. It took a few tries, and here we have the season 5 opener, Scroll of the Demodragon.

Scroll of the Demodragon may very well be one of the first episodes I've felt fully engaged in a longtime. After its cold opening, leaving me puzzled on the story as well as a brand new lively intro, it does its job right: establish what will happen for the season.

Outside doing its job as the first episode, it also includes throwbacks to older parts of the series, specifically the "in show." This season's is Space Heroes: The Next Generation, an obvious nod to Star Trek: The Next Generation. While the humor doesn't seem to hit as hard unlike the previous in shows, it is a nice way to finish off the series by returning to arguably its best "in show" cartoon. Poor Krenshaw Jr. though. :lol:

In terms of story, the episode is rather middling. Mysticism is a continuous presence in TMNT, but the execution here was not a strong start, especially with the cult members. Besides having generic designs and Hamato like robes, they feel out of place and a sudden switch in tone. Additionally, Leonardo, despite beheading Super Shredder, struggles against them. It feels very uncomfortable contending with these creatures for half the episode until Tiger Claw, now a cult leader, summons Kavaxas. This new villain, voiced by the legendary Mark Hamill, shows off his power but otherwise doesn't fully stand out as a character as of this time. As a threat though, he's dangerous, character wise not so much.

The comedy is also a bit of a mixed bag. Although I got a chuckle out of Casey calling Raphael his "sidekick" due to vocal performance, most of the other humor is too random. I'll bite on SH: TNG as it'll take getting used to, but the Furby type scouters are one of the strangest sights of the series. While humor isn't the episode's focus compared to its intensity, humor certainly wasn't its strong point.

Besides the new season, one would think that due to the deaths of Master Splinter and Shredder there'd be some focus. Owari had the brief funeral aspect, but there wasn't enough time given. I can understand that as the main point was the final stand against the Foot. However, this episode largely ignores the matter again. Leo yet again is the only one to mourn Splinter's demise by envisioning advice from him. Despite Donatello's approach to Leo, which could've led to a brother bonding moment, it feels cut away. Although one could argue the characters staring at Leo would be a way of approaching it, it's not fully clear.

Overall, Scroll of the Demodragon contains identical flaws to previous episodes: humor being a bit strange though subjective and not touching on the season finale as much, similarly to the previous openers. However, the intensity and visuals do signify big things to come of this season. It's not perfect by any means, but serves its purpose of setting up future episodes. Hopefully the rest of the season can balance everything in terms of characters to give everyone limelight and a conclusion as we near the series' end. My rating of this episode is 8 cultist scrolls out of 10.

LeotheLateBloomer
03-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Pretty good episode!

I'm already liking Kavaxas as a villain.

Faster and Cheaper
07-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Hey everyone, I mentioned in my intro thread if you haven't seen, so I'll keep it brief, I was an animator on this last season of TMNT. I got stories and some nice little info into the the episodes and other stuff in how things worked in the studio.

The biggest change from a behind the scenes perspective was that Bardel is responsible for all the episodes this season, as you guys may already know. It's one of the reasons I got on, since they needed to more or less double the size of the TMNT team for this season. We had 8 animation teams that are all named after the heroes and villains. This was a team Mikey episode, I sat by them but I was not on their team. They were a cool bunch, friendly people and very talented.

When I first saw this episode over a year ago all finished and it inspired me when I saw it done to really step up my animation game. Of course my lead and director and Nick's notes already do that but sometimes you need to see other people's work to see how you can improve. What they did with Kavaxas especially helped a lot, as he was a character I had a hard time with getting his style down and his rig was quite complicated, especially his wings.