PDA

View Full Version : Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie

TurtleTitan97
03-22-2017, 12:11 PM
zs2SrqLum1M

TheSkeletonMan939
03-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Didn't this lose relevance like a decade ago? Sorry if I sound like 'Cubed here, but do kids today know who Captain Underpants even is?

Jester
03-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Captain Underpants is still selling books. Saw them at an elementary school book Fair just last week.

TurtleTitan97
03-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Didn't this lose relevance like a decade ago? Sorry if I sound like 'Cubed here, but do kids today know who Captain Underpants even is?

According to Wikipedia, the series only ended 2 years ago.

Optimus Primer
03-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Why did we need this movie, Dreamworks?

TheSkeletonMan939
03-22-2017, 01:51 PM
According to Wikipedia, the series only ended 2 years ago.

Maybe so, but I remember that there was a big hiatus at some point which killed a lot of interest (at least among my 3rd-grade peers) in the series. By the time Pilkey began publishing new ones, the kids who grew up on it had way outgrown Captain Underpants.

Candy Kappa
03-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Captain Underpants is an actual character?

I thought it was just a joke made from "haha Superman got undies on the outside" something equally stupid in origin.

DestronMirage22
03-22-2017, 03:07 PM
I can't wait!! This'll be something to watch with my family, I bet the little bro will certainly appreciate it. :D

If only Kevin Hart wasn't in it, though.

TMNT_Guy
03-23-2017, 03:31 AM
So as someone who has been reading Captain Underpants since the first grade and read them all the way into adulthood all I can say is...it's as disappointing as I thought it would be. It doesn't look very faithful to the books. Where do I even begin?

Like in the books, probably the only time I'll get to say that, George and Harold are two mischievous 4th graders that pull a lot of pranks...the problem so far is that in the books the pranks were somewhat believable. They never did anything as ridiculous as putting Giant Realistic Flying Tiger from Uncle Grandpa in a teacher's classroom.

In the book, Mr. Krupp is as his name suggests, corrupt. He blackmailed George and Harold after he caught the two on tape setting up a huge prank telling them if they didn't answer to his ever whim they would be expelled, basically turning them into his own personal slaves. That was the big problem the boys had in the first book, but here he's simply putting George and Harold in separate classrooms? Uh...oh no? That's got to be much worse then having to wake up at 6 AM every mourning to wash Mr. Krupp's car, pull all the weeds in his yard, clean the gutters, wash all the windows on his house, then at lunch having to shine his shoes, polish his desk, then at recess clip his fingernails, iron his tie and finally getting extra homework...oh and they don't get weekends off either. But all that is apparently nothing compared to George and Harold having separate classes. That would ruin their friendship! They can't possibly hang out together after school.

But the worst part so far is what they did to Professor Poopypants. "Hi ya class! I'm your cool new teacher, not some scary guy with a secret evil agenda!" What? In the book the Professor was a tragic villain. He was a brilliant scientist that managed to create two inventions that would have ended world hunger and solved the world's garbage problem...however no one would take him seriously due to his name. After being laughed out of every major university in America and close to broke he took the job as a 4th grade science teacher...only to continue to be laughed at until he eventually snapped. He also never used a giant robot toilet in the books and wasn't introduced until the fourth book.

The Captain Underpants books weren't exactly Shakespeare or anything, but they were funny and never obnoxiously so. As a kid I usually found shows like Ren and Stimpy disgusting and often disturbing, but Captain Underpants always managed to entertain me despite the toilet humor. The books aren't all "Oh look underwear, isn't that funny!?" either. The latter books in particular dealed with things like growing up, maturing, standing up for yourself and even getting a little political with comments such as "there was no room for common sense when it came to ZERO TOLERANCE." saying that the GOP stands for "Grumpy Old People" or "Misdirection happens a lot in real life--especially in politics, history, education, medicine, marketing, science, religion, and the Oprah Winfrey Network." The last book reveals that Harold would get married when he grows up...to another man. Making the Captain Underpants the first time I'd ever seen not only a gay couple, but gay marriage in children's media.

But I shouldn't get upset about this movie. One of the most common themes of the books, yeah you'd never expect a book series called Captain Underpants to have themes, is to not get offended or upset over every little thing. Lighten up and let people have their fun. Who knows? Maybe it will be better then it looks and maybe alot of kids will end up liking it. I just have little interest in watching it so far.

"It's fun to feel offended, isn't it?"

Jephael
03-23-2017, 07:31 AM
To be honest, this looks like something I kinda want to take my nephew to see... but only once and then never speak of it again!!!

ZariusTwo
06-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Wow...it's actually good. Currently standing at 84% on RT.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_underpants_the_first_epic_movie/

GoldMutant
06-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Maybe so, but I remember that there was a big hiatus at some point which killed a lot of interest (at least among my 3rd-grade peers) in the series. By the time Pilkey began publishing new ones, the kids who grew up on it had way outgrown Captain Underpants.

I know the post was from awhile ago, but if I recall, it's due to Pilkey caring for his father. He died in 2008 and the books went on a serious hiatus due to it; Pilkey did work on the spin offs, Ook and Gluk as well as Super Diaper Baby, until returning to the series in 2012.

It was frustrating as I grew up on the books myself (my personal favorite of the time being 3), but by the time I saw the new ones, I was and am still in high school. They were fun to retread, but were... off for some reason personally.

Kevin Hart doesn't do it for me in the trailers. I'll see this soon for a fun time. At the least, the animations looks clean.