PDA

View Full Version : Death Note (US 2017)

Allio
03-22-2017, 11:14 PM
zS9UW2xjdqE

I mean, it can't be any worse than the tv drama a couple of years back. At least the plot of death note does lend itself easily to other cultures, as it isn't really heavy in japanese lore.

also, Japanese came out with the 4th movie this past year, takes place 10 years after the Kira event

5wtM0hvI4bs

I do kind of hope that with both movies coming out, there will be some incentive to re-release the other 3 films, I missed out the first time.

Shark_Blade
03-23-2017, 08:05 AM
Don't watch the 4th movie. Pure garbage and a total waste of time.

Splinter the boss
03-23-2017, 02:52 PM
I don't believe this will be good. Nothing will ever top the anime.

sdp
03-23-2017, 03:42 PM
The anime is deeply flawed, especially since it drags, people say that the anime sucks after L but I disagree, even before that it had been a rehash of the same "outsmarting" each other and it went over the top when Light does the whole trick to out trick L. After L has some redeemable parts as well like Mello, he was awesome unlike Near who was a less interesting L clone.

I have to admit I was not expecting much from the Netflix movie but the trailer has me excited, I'm optimistic.

Never saw the japanese live action movies but they didn't look very fun.

ssjup81
03-23-2017, 05:03 PM
I really liked Near, personally. I found his quirks kind of interesting.Don't watch the 4th movie. Pure garbage and a total waste of time.What is it about? Who is it based around?

TurtleTitan97
03-23-2017, 05:09 PM
I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is a great casting choice. But I'm not a fan of them racebending Light and all the other characters.

We'll see how this turns out I suppose.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-23-2017, 08:22 PM
The anime is deeply flawed, especially since it drags, people say that the anime sucks after L but I disagree, even before that it had been a rehash of the same "outsmarting" each other and it went over the top when Light does the whole trick to out trick L. After L has some redeemable parts as well like Mello, he was awesome unlike Near who was a less interesting L clone.

I have to admit I was not expecting much from the Netflix movie but the trailer has me excited, I'm optimistic.

Never saw the japanese live action movies but they didn't look very fun.

Do watch them if you get the chance! I wasn't aware there was a third (or fourth) but the first two are great! In fact, I liked the ending of the Light/L rivalry better than either the manga OR the anime! It was a nice twist

ssjup81
03-23-2017, 11:35 PM
I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is a great casting choice. But I'm not a fan of them racebending Light and all the other characters.

We'll see how this turns out I suppose.all the characters are Japanese and the US is multicultural, so it's not surprising they'd change some of that.

Andrew NDB
03-23-2017, 11:51 PM
My Facebook is filled with tears of people upset about the whole cast not being Japanese, basically. Strange. And they do have at least one Japanese castmember, and other Asians.

Candy Kappa
03-24-2017, 03:41 AM
Skeptical. The teaser wasn't all that interesting, and American adaptations of Japanese Horror/Supernatural stories are usually mediocre like The Ring was.

If they do a similar adaptation like the first 2 Live-Action movies did, cut out all the dragging, tediousness and the boring characters Mello and Near. It might be worth a watch, which they kinda have to do if they want a coherent story for a movie (unless they are going the Shyamalan way).

Dafoe as Ryuk is interesting, and I'm curious what Masi Oka's role will be.

... But, what's up with dressing Light to look like Spider-Man 3 Peter Parker :lol:

Redeemer
03-24-2017, 12:07 PM
My Facebook is filled with tears of people upset about the whole cast not being Japanese, basically. Strange. And they do have at least one Japanese castmember, and other Asians.

It doesn't sound like your friends watched the Anime, especially sense "L" is British Not Japanese :lol:

Splinter the boss
03-24-2017, 02:01 PM

Clearly you don't like psychological anime. That's what it's about: "outsmarting" each other. Death note is one of the best out there of its type. There is no other.

sdp
03-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Clearly you don't like psychological anime. That's what it's about: "outsmarting" each other. Death note is one of the best out there of its type. There is no other.

are you serious?

I like Death Note well enough and watched it as it aired, loved it but a re-watch showed how they kept repeating the same shtick just to be able to outdo themselves and things become silly, you can only do these things before they become tiring. The show should've finished strong.

Coola Yagami
03-26-2017, 07:32 PM
The thing that gets me is, Death Note only has 4 or so major characters and The Powers at Be forget that Japanese Americans exist. There is 0 reason to keep Misa and the Yagami family as Japanese Americans, keep L white and making the rest of the supporting cast whatever PC race you want.

sdp
06-29-2017, 02:06 PM
gvxNaSIB_WI
New Trailer

I'm fairly excited for this movie, Death Note is awesome but the anime takes it too far, maybe as a single movie the concept works better. I have also come to terms that this more than an adaptation of the source material is an American version which makes it easier for me to accept the changes.

The biggest problem with L being black is that he's supposed to be this pasty white dude because he never leaves the house, but I'm willing to give this new take a chance.

I hope they do eliminate the crazier and overdone aspects of the anime even and while it'll obviously be more action oriented, I hope it's not the whole movie that is one big action piece.

Andrew NDB
06-29-2017, 02:09 PM
The thing that gets me is, Death Note only has 4 or so major characters and The Powers at Be forget that Japanese Americans exist.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. So if Japan wants to do their version of John Wick it needs to be played by a white guy who's a Japanese citizen living in Japan, because they exist?

Splinter the boss
06-29-2017, 05:25 PM
Watched the second trailer, still nothing compels me to watch this, it's an abomination. So many things could have been different, it's a missed opportunity. Well, in the end all live action anime movies end up being the same.

Powder
06-29-2017, 07:43 PM
It looks like an okay movie in its own right, but as Death Note, it's so far from where it should be. :thumbsdo:

Stop making live action films based on anime/manga, PLEASE.

sdp
06-29-2017, 07:46 PM
Has there ever been a decent anime to live action adaptation?

I recently watched the live action Ranma 1/2 and it was pretty bad and that one I thought could actually work. Supposedly the Sailor Moon live action Toku is genuinely good.

Edit: oh wait Edge of Tomorrow was a great adaptation, never read the original manga but the movie was cool, City Hunter by Jackie Chan is awesome too though again I didn't read the source material, speed racer was neat, so i guess there are a few that work.

TurtleTitan97
06-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is literally the only positive thing about this film I can think of. Everything else about it turns me off.

Coola Yagami
06-29-2017, 10:34 PM
Dumb, dumb, dumb. So if Japan wants to do their version of John Wick it needs to be played by a white guy who's a Japanese citizen living in Japan, because they exist?

No, but it should take place in the US. Just because it would be filmed in Japan, doesn't mean they have to make the movie take place there. America always has to Americanize everything, as if we're too stupid to not be able to relate to anything that's not 'Murican'.

Allio
06-30-2017, 06:00 AM
Has there ever been a decent anime to live action adaptation?

I recently watched the live action Ranma 1/2 and it was pretty bad and that one I thought could actually work. Supposedly the Sailor Moon live action Toku is genuinely good.

Edit: oh wait Edge of Tomorrow was a great adaptation, never read the original manga but the movie was cool, City Hunter by Jackie Chan is awesome too though again I didn't read the source material, speed racer was neat, so i guess there are a few that work.

From what I've gathered, these are the best.

Ruroni Kenshin Trilogy (has a nice cross between realism and the exaggerated anime cliche)
Death Note - Good in a sense of a tv movie, not as a cinematic experience.
I personally liked Kikaider, but some would say it's a reboot cross of the manga and anime.
I hear Ghost in the shell is more on the positive (of course, looking beyond the "muh japanese actress for an android that has no race")
Keiji was good
and while I haven't seen them, I've heard good things about stuff like Nana and Gantz

Splinter the boss
06-30-2017, 08:26 AM
Stop making live action films based on anime/manga, PLEASE.
Thank you.Well Said.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-30-2017, 06:21 PM
From what I've gathered, these are the best.

Ruroni Kenshin Trilogy (has a nice cross between realism and the exaggerated anime cliche)
Death Note - Good in a sense of a tv movie, not as a cinematic experience.
I personally liked Kikaider, but some would say it's a reboot cross of the manga and anime.
I hear Ghost in the shell is more on the positive (of course, looking beyond the "muh japanese actress for an android that has no race")
Keiji was good
and while I haven't seen them, I've heard good things about stuff like Nana and Gantz

GItS was pretty good, actually. Quite a few of the scenes looked like they had been pulled right out of the anime movie. Granted it felt like it was missing something(not sure what exactly), but the story was interesting and her NOT being Japanese made sense for the plot. The characterizations were almost all spot on too.

sdp
08-25-2017, 03:06 AM
I just saw it, here is my review (http://miscrave.com/articles/death-note-2017). But basically the movie does a bunch of really dumb stuff with characters that makes you mad but it is its own take at the same time and at the end it sets up the "movie" we'd want to see.

If you can view it with an open mind you can enjoy it as it does do some things right, don't shrug it off because of how sloppily they handle the beginning. My biggest problem was L, he just didn't work at all, they should've taken the character an entirely different direction instead we got this mix of "well let's have him be like L but let's not.

Andrew NDB
08-25-2017, 09:59 AM
How's the CGI with Willem Dafoe?

Allio
08-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Contrary to belief, that's just Defoe when he wakes up

sdp
08-25-2017, 01:15 PM
You can tell it's cgi but it's good. His performance is also good but while I agree the casing was perfect his character is a bit dull and not handled very well.

Allio
08-25-2017, 03:46 PM
I enjoyed the movie. The film's weakest parts was probably with the Watari plan. After all, I'm sure that L would have thought about that before hand and then up to the coma aspect.

I'm glad they changed Misa, she was one of the weakest aspects of the original series (you know, aside from the whole second half of the series) though my major problem it felt like the original Light's personality was split into the two, Light being the "idea" that what he was doing was for the good and while Mia becoming obsessed by the power. Then both halves accumulate into Light in the end.

final verdict, including every Live action adaptation of a japanese product I have seen (DBE, AoT, Parasyte, EoT, Keiji, Ruroni Kenshin) I would say that this is indeed one of the better ones.

One day we might have a consistent flow of good live action anime adaptations

Andrew NDB
08-25-2017, 03:51 PM
I see a lot of people online decrying that watching this without having watched any of the anime stuff or whatever will "ruin your experience."

Is that true?

Allio
08-25-2017, 04:04 PM
No, it wouldn't. Trust me. I can still enjoy Parasyte despite it's bad movie.

sdp
08-25-2017, 07:32 PM
No, it's fans overreacting.

The movie won't really spoil anything as it does its own thing and the characters are all very different. Watch the movie, it isn't a great film by any means but it can be fun a la Final Destination which I saw some people comparing it to, I don't think its anything like FD but its also entertaining even if not more than that.

ssjup81
08-26-2017, 02:13 AM
I enjoyed the movie. The film's weakest parts was probably with the Watari plan. After all, I'm sure that L would have thought about that before hand and then up to the coma aspect.

I'm glad they changed Misa, she was one of the weakest aspects of the original series (you know, aside from the whole second half of the series) though my major problem it felt like the original Light's personality was split into the two, Light being the "idea" that what he was doing was for the good and while Mia becoming obsessed by the power. Then both halves accumulate into Light in the end.

final verdict, including every Live action adaptation of a japanese product I have seen (DBE, AoT, Parasyte, EoT, Keiji, Ruroni Kenshin) I would say that this is indeed one of the better ones.

One day we might have a consistent flow of good live action anime adaptationsYou really felt Misa was a weak point originally? I felt she was one of the most tragic characters of the entire series. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her.

Allio
08-26-2017, 01:31 PM
as an ending it was okay, but her base as an ditzy idol character is just so bland.

ssjup81
08-26-2017, 11:45 PM
as an ending it was okay, but her base as an ditzy idol character is just so bland.I never viewed her as ditzy either. In what way was she ditzy? I pretty much viewed her as a broken woman with self esteem/self worth issues...although this is my view of her from the manga...I don't recall the anime much and for the live action films from years ago, I didn't care for her character.

Redeemer
08-27-2017, 07:23 PM
How's the CGI with Willem Dafoe?

It was actually pretty good surprisedly. That character was one of the only good things about this movie.
Contrary to belief, that's just Defoe when he wakes up
Of all my years on the drone this is probably the best comment i have ever read :lol:

Allio
08-30-2017, 01:31 PM
bad or good, It doesn't really bother me. Like when Ghost in the SHell came out I am going to be able to get that new collection of Death Note for $30, Never owned anything of the series before so that is a steal for me.

Allio
08-31-2017, 10:28 PM
welp, I'm about to binge watch the 4 death note films (1, THe Last Name, L change the world, and Light up the new world) so wish me luck. Sadly it doesn't see that "New Generation" the 3 episode tie-in to the fourth movie is subbed - on second look, I did find them

Shark_Blade
09-01-2017, 01:48 AM
Light up the new world is one of the most awful sequel I had ever watched. Netflix's Death Note falls into the same category, just horrendous.

Candy Kappa
09-01-2017, 05:10 AM
Wow, this movie was bad. It started interesting as a Final Destination featuring Ryuk, but that went nowhere.

Light was a very different character and of course he's the obvious Kira suspect, that dude looked he was in his final planning of his school shooting :lol: And L had some unforunate racial profiling with being rewritten as a angry temperamental guy with a gun and played by a Black man. Ryuk was hands down the best part of the movie, he looked scary and Dafoe's voice is great.

Splinter the boss
09-01-2017, 05:09 PM
That's why I despise watching live action anime films. They are a shame, they don't live up to expectations. Why do you people even try?