PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Star Wars: Disney Makes Post-Saga Plans

The Deadman
03-23-2017, 02:57 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/829485-future-of-star-wars#/slide/1

Famously envisioned by George Lucas to span nine saga chapters, the Star Wars saga will reach what was once envisioned as the penultimate chapter later this year with Rian Johnson‘s The Last Jedi. Star Wars fans need not fret, however, as Disney CEO Bob Iger announced during a presentation at USC that the future of Star Wars is currently being planned with an eye towards the next 15 years.

“We’re starting talk about what could happen after Episode IX,” said Iger (via The Hollywood Reporter), “About what could be another decade-and-a-half of Star Wars stories.”

When Iger says “Star Wars stories,” it’s a little unclear if he means that all post Episode IX films will receive the Rogue One subtitle A Star Wars Story or if he’s using a more general term and that we might see some kind of new saga begin.

Iger also reiterated that the recent passing of Carrie Fisher will not impact her role in The Last Jedi.

“We had to deal tragedy at the end of 2016,” he says. “Carrie appears throughout VIII. We are not changing VIII to deal with her passing. Her performance remains as it is in VIII. In Rogue One, we had some digital character. We are not doing that with Carrie.”

Andrew NDB
03-23-2017, 03:01 PM
“Carrie appears throughout VIII. We are not changing VIII to deal with her passing. Her performance remains as it is in VIII.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/771102/Star-Wars-8-reshoots-The-Last-Jedi-Carrie-Fisher-death-Lucasfilm-Episode-VIII-Episode-IX

So this was FAKE news?

CyberCubed
03-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Star Wars really is going to be run into the ground. People will be so sick of it in the next few years they'll hope it goes away again.

NinjaPug
03-23-2017, 03:11 PM
I'm glad to hear they won't be changing any of VIII due to Carrie's passing. IX is probably going to be a mess anyway with Trevorrow involved so let the rewrites effect that movie instead of both. I think it's best to keep Rian's work as close to his original plan as possible.

CyberCubed
03-23-2017, 03:20 PM
I don't see how they can make more movies without stepping on the toes of either the cartoons or comics. Eventually there's going to be continuity errors or plot holes if they set movies in the same timeline or use characters already in the comics or the current cartoons.

Dust
03-23-2017, 03:31 PM
I don't see how they can make more movies without stepping on the toes of either the cartoons or comics. Eventually there's going to be continuity errors or plot holes if they set movies in the same timeline or use characters already in the comics or the current cartoons.

Soon the ROTS-ANH era will have ended with Rebels. There are other gaps that comics and cartoons can fill, such as before The Phantom Menace, a gap between TPM and AOTC (perhaps a comic more about Dooku transitioning to the dark side or something). The Clone Wars fills the next gap. Nothing really needs to be in between the original trilogy. Then we have the 30 year gap between ROTJ and TFA. So there is a lot of ground that Disney can cover, with many different characters, due to the history of the Star Wars universe is so vague pre-TPM. Though eventually we will get over saturated with Star Wars stuff I do agree.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2017, 03:38 PM
In regards to Leia, all I hope is that in Episode IX they acknowledge it with some level of tact. Like Luke quietly mentioning how Leia passed away in her sleep or something. Not have the Star Wars theme be blaring and then opening crawl say something like, "the REBEL ALLIANCE is still reeling after PRINCESS LEIA was shot dead while trying to blow up the fifth DEATH STAR..."

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-23-2017, 03:44 PM
In regards to Leia, all I hope is that in Episode IX they acknowledge it with some level of tact. Like Luke quietly mentioning how Leia passed away in her sleep or something. Not have the Star Wars theme be blaring and then opening crawl say something like, "the REBEL ALLIANCE is still reeling after PRINCESS LEIA was shot dead while trying to blow up the fifth DEATH STAR..."

:tlol:

Nah, mang. General Leia went out blowing up the fifth Mega Super Death Star!

sdp
03-23-2017, 03:45 PM
I don't want to sound like a broken record so I won't really post my thoughts but I've mentioned it many times including here (http://miscrave.com/articles/annual-star-wars-spin-offs/).

CyberCubed
03-23-2017, 03:54 PM
In regards to Leia, I'm pretty sure they'll just leave it as, "she passed away peacefully" or something like that.

Granted they could pull the, "she died from a broken heart" over grieving over Han's death, or her mother's in real life, or Padme's in Episode III.

sdp
03-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Why would she pass away from a broken heart? They didn't even kiss in episode VII. That's the one thing that bothered me, Han went out like a chump, he had no love of his life anymore and his son betrayed and killed him and unless they rehash the story of Episode VI with the redemption of Kylo Ren which would be terrible if they did but unless they did that then he really died for no one. It's a lose-lose for Han's story arc no matter what happens in IX.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2017, 04:10 PM
... unless they rehash the story of Episode VI with the redemption of Kylo Ren which would be terrible if they did...

It's going to happen.

Andrew NDB
03-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Why would she pass away from a broken heart? They didn't even kiss in episode VII.

Yeah, that was bullsh*t.

Shark_Blade
03-23-2017, 04:48 PM
They should just do the cgi again for Carrie. Those who are too upset, just don't watch it.

Dust
03-23-2017, 04:52 PM
They should just do the cgi again for Carrie. Those who are too upset, just don't watch it.

No, it's far too recent to do that. It would be disrespectful.

Andrew NDB
03-23-2017, 04:54 PM

No, it's far too recent to do that. It would be disrespectful.

I don't know that I'd have a huge problem with that as long as it is sparingly.

Arguably it's more disrespectful to kill off her character as a result of her dying in real life.

Dust
03-23-2017, 05:04 PM
I don't know that I'd have a huge problem with that as long as it is sparingly.

Arguably it's more disrespectful to kill off her character as a result of her dying in real life.

I guess it is. It could work either way depending how they handle it.