PDA

View Full Version : How often do you rewatch old movies you've seen before?

CyberCubed
03-24-2017, 06:47 PM
With the exception of some of my favorite movies that I rewatch way more often than any normal human being should, other movies I only watch like once a decade.

There are a lot of movies I really liked that I haven't rewatched since the early 2000's. That's over a decade ago now. Other movies I had sitting on my DVD/blu-ray shelf for years that I never really opened or watched. I really want to change this and go through some old movies again.

I know for other people movies are "one and done" because they feel watching something a second time isn't suspenseful when you know what's going to happen.

ssjup81
03-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Whenever I'm in the mood for it. It was more frequent in the past, but not as much lately.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Fairly often actually. I recently rewatched Secret of NIHM andLast Unicorn just because the mood struck. I often rewatch my superhero flicks or various horror or sci-fi films. And I've probably seen Spaceballs more times than any human has a justifiable right to. Mr Duckie likes to rewatch Boondock Saints at least once a year.

TheCanadiandrome
03-24-2017, 08:56 PM
When it comes to Ghostbusters, BTTF trilogy or some Batman movies, when ever they're on tv I usually whatch

Prowler
03-24-2017, 09:07 PM
I don't really keep track but it's pretty rare nowadays.

Wildcat
03-24-2017, 10:34 PM
A few times a year maybe or if nothing else is on that I'd wanna see first.

After awhile I do think you get a little burned out from even your favorites. Gotta give yourself a break or it looses is appeal. Imo anyway. Gotta clear your mind of it sometimes.

Jephael
03-25-2017, 05:57 AM
I used to love watching VHS copies of Jim Carrey and movies and my favorite Disney films over and over again until the tapes wore out. Nowadays I'll watch a DVD once and put it away with the other movies I've collected. Perhaps someday I'll watch them with my niece and nephew or maybe some new friends I make here and there. It's all up in the air at this point.

Wesley
03-25-2017, 10:32 AM
I like rewatching some old films if I haven't seen them in a few years, as I'll probably have forgotten most of what happened in them by then.

MrPliggins
03-25-2017, 10:55 AM
Almost never. About 99% of my movie/video game shelf hasn't been used in years. The other 1% has been used maybe once in the past year.
I think these days, with streaming available, it's really easy to sit down and watch something you haven't seen before. Usually when I get a chance to sit and watch some tv, I check out Netflix or Prime for something I haven't seen.

AT-Man
03-25-2017, 01:38 PM
Not nearly as often as I used to.

Slade
03-25-2017, 11:39 PM
Not a lot now days, but depends on the movie.

But, I have kids, they'll watch the same movie three times in a row, or at least let it play that many times.

Allio
03-25-2017, 11:42 PM
on the norm, I may watch 1 movie once every few years.

kaptainmyke
03-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Constantly, every day. I have been collecting out of print and rare movies for years. Some of my favorites come from the Shaw Brothers vault and old Fred Williamson movies. Blaxploitation and Kung Fu all the way!

THGhost
03-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Rarely, unless it's bonus features such as commentary tracks.

Krutch
03-29-2017, 10:02 AM
I rewatch television I've seen all the time. More often than new content, actually.

But movies? Ehhh... sometimes I'll catch them twice in theatres. Classics I grew up with (Star Wars, TMNT, Evil Dead, etc...) i'll rewatch from time to time. Usually if I rewatch a movie, I'm trying to learn something from it so I'm not really watching the movie as I am looking at camera placement, blocking, stuff like that.

Andrew NDB
03-29-2017, 11:16 AM
The answer is, "Probably not enough to justify my buying them in the first place."

CyberCubed
03-29-2017, 11:55 AM
I just rewatched Men in Black for the first time in what has to have been 15 years. I then watched Men in Black III which came out in 2012, an entire decade after Men in Black II back in 2002...and Will Smith looked exactly the same.

I seriously don't know how, but Will Smith just doesn't age.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-29-2017, 11:56 AM
He finally started to show his age a little in MIB III. But yeah, I don't know if it's makeup magic or if he just naturally looks young.

CyberCubed
03-29-2017, 11:57 AM
He finally started to show his age a little in MIB III. But yeah, I don't know if it's makeup magic or he just naturally looks young.

Well Suicide Squad just came out last year and he doesn't look much older in that movie either.

The Deadman
03-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Depends on the movie, if it's one I really like, I'll watch it over and over.

Lisardo
03-30-2017, 04:27 PM
I rewatch movies a lot. Just rewatched the Young Guns movies actually! But I have a lot of favorites I used to watch growing up and every now and then, during different parts of they year, I'll rewatch them. I tend to watch the Friday the 13th films and Nightmare films around Halloween, then I'll watch Twister during tornado season, plus other films during other times, :) My rec room has like a whole wall of dvds and VHSs, :tgrin:

Andrew NDB
03-30-2017, 04:29 PM
I rewatch movies a lot.

That makes sense.

DisKosh
03-30-2017, 04:53 PM
Not as much as I used to, but I frequently watch the episodes in my Babylon 5 boxset.

DarthRaphael
04-03-2017, 09:48 AM
That makes sense.

Why does this make sense?

blindturtle02
04-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Not too much. I believe I tend to rewatch TV shows more often these days. With series, I'm not limited to the same hour and a half of story time and time again. I want a lot more than that. It seems like movies were more rewatchable when I was a kid.

CyberCubed
04-05-2017, 12:10 PM
With movie it's easier to watch because it's one and done. Most characters aren't designed to be watched for hundreds of episodes because they're based on one type.

Andrew NDB
04-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Yeah, actual TV shows are fun to rewatch many years later after not watching them. As long as they still mostly hold water.

I remember I started rewatching Star Trek: Voyager a few years back... I almost got teary-eyed when I saw the opening titles sequence and heard the music. And I didn't even like that show all that much.

CyberCubed
04-05-2017, 12:41 PM
I remember I started rewatching Star Trek: Voyager a few years back... I almost got teary-eyed when I saw the opening titles sequence and heard the music. And I didn't even like that show all that much.

Isn't that basically nostalgia though? Pretty much any show we all watched as a kid or teen we're going to get that "fuzzy feeling" when we rewatch it years later as an adult. Even as you said if you didn't like it as much as the other show.

Andrew NDB
04-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Isn't that basically nostalgia though? Pretty much any show we all watched as a kid or teen we're going to get that "fuzzy feeling" when we rewatch it years later as an adult.

Yeah. Even with FW TMNT... but those, I couldn't make it more than 4 episodes before I couldn't take it anymore, even with alcohol.

Voyager... when the nostalgia glasses wore off it was still... oh-kay. Watchable.

Lisardo
04-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Yeah, actual TV shows are fun to rewatch many years later after not watching them.

That makes sense.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Jephael and Andrew going at it again...

Wait, what? :teek:

Jester
04-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Like others have said: Depends on the film. Films I love, for good or ill, like TMNT or Plan 9 from Outer Space, I've seen so many times i can practically mute them and not miss a beat. Others, the mood has to hit me. I've seen Passion of the Christian all of once, and I've never felt like watching it again. Rough flick.

AT-Man
04-06-2017, 02:16 PM
I watched the whole Breaking Bad series again just before the final episode. It was amazing, there were a lot of stuff I didn't remember happening. I'm gonna watch it for the third time after Better Call Saul ends. Truly a masterpiece.

Jephael
04-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Jephael and Andrew going at it again...

Wait, what? :teek:

7DG97dAVZns

Shark_Blade
04-09-2017, 02:56 AM
Seeing the IT trailer, I prefer not watching the original anymore tbh...

Other great modern remakes:

Carrie.
King Kong
Planet of the Apes

And Sherlock (it's a tv series but heck it's the best Sherlock Holmes anything ever).

TheBlueTurtle1
04-09-2017, 03:11 AM
I love Lord of the rings and the hobbit movies, and I watch them around x-mas most years. I also could watch the Lion king all day every day lol. I guess I could watch any pixar movie multi times a year.

CyberCubed
04-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Meh, Lord of the Rings/Hobbit is the only fantasy genre that puts me to sleep everytime I try to get into it.

DisKosh
04-09-2017, 12:25 PM
I read the Hobbit a while ago and I found it okay but I wouldn't read it again and I'm not interested in Lord of the Rings.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-09-2017, 12:36 PM
I like to rewatch movies a lot, especially if they are favorites of mine. Rewatched the original GItS movie yesterday after coming home from seeing the new version. Did some critical comparisons with the new film still fresh in my mind, and have to say, I don't really know why so many people were complaining about the "whitewashing" when it was a major part of the plot that she was NOT the person she had thought she was. Other than feeling like something was missing from the LA one, I found it nearly as good as the original. So rewatching older movies can be good for comparison to remakes or reboots.