PDA

View Full Version : Did you have a bully growing up in school?

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 05:56 AM
I'm curious if anyone here has had a bully growing up in any grade in school. I never really got into fights in school myself, ocassionally every so often there would be some random kid who started bothering me for no reason, but I always had people to back me up whenever it happened so nothing came to it.

For whatever odd reason, I always had followers no matter where I was. I never had a huge amount of friends, but I always had people who would back me up if I was in trouble or help me out. It must be my charming and eccentric personality.

So I can't say I ever had a real ongoing bully, what about you?

Candy Kappa
03-27-2017, 06:02 AM
I had several bullies, but eventually they stopped after I had beaten them up. I had a lot of anger issues as a kid and bullying wasn't exactly helping.

Krutch
03-27-2017, 06:04 AM
I did in grades six through eight, but once I hit high school, nah. I had a ton of friends and everyone seemed to just mind their own business and stay to their own clique.

Fist fights rarely ever happened, but when they did were never a part of school. I was always pretty good at defusing any situation before it escalated to physical violence as a teen.

I know high school bullying is a thing and I'm not naive to it, but in my life experience has only ever been a movie thing.

ssjup81
03-27-2017, 06:10 AM
I'm curious if anyone here has had a bully growing up in any grade in school. I never really got into fights in school myself, ocassionally every so often there would be some random kid who started bothering me for no reason, but I always had people to back me up whenever it happened so nothing came to it.

For whatever odd reason, I always had followers no matter where I was. I never had a huge amount of friends, but I always had people who would back me up if I was in trouble or help me out. It must be my charming and eccentric personality.

So I can't say I ever had a real ongoing bully, what about you?

Narcissistic much? Anyway, no, I never had a bully, despite wearing glasses and being overweight. I think I wasn't bullied because I had a slight reputation. I was quiet in school, but did get into occasional disputes...usually boys and would physically fight them. By 8th grade, I promised myself never to fight again because it's immature and stupid. In 7th grade, a boy felt me up, grabbing my boobs, and I punched him in the face and since he was light-skinned, it left a clear mark. He also hit back. This was also during a field trip. ^^ Anyway, his older sister (8th grader) planned on getting a bunch of students to beat me up...until she found out why I hit him and she apologized. I also didn't get in trouble. He did and he got suspended.

I think that's what solidified the, don't mess with Wendy thing and why I wasn't bullied. I wasn't popular or anything like that...just there.

Ignoring Cubed's ego-stroking, for those who did have bullies or were bullied, how did you deal with them? I feel that the information would be very good for younger members of the board.

BubblyShell22
03-27-2017, 06:46 AM
I had a guy in high school who would constantly bully me for no reason and just say stuff even though I never did anything to him to deserve it. Luckily, he apologized in our junior year and said he was stupid for doing it and that he thought I was a nice person. I forgave him and all was well.

Candy Kappa
03-27-2017, 07:01 AM
My advice against bullies isn't very good, but making them bleed usually makes them stop or rethink future actions. As a 1st grader I beat up a 8th grader for bullying my best friend.

My grade school gave two ***** about bullying and even teachers was in on the "fun". One of the students in my parallel class had ADHD and had a helper teacher. One of those helper teacher riled him up and watched him beat up other kids.

Utrommaniac
03-27-2017, 07:08 AM
BOY, LET ME TELL YOU.

Honestly, I don't even KNOW how many I had. Well more than five. But not more than fifteen. Maybe.

I was a year older than my peers (stayed an extra year in preschool because I was actually YOUNGER than my first group), I was taller, and pretty heavy because of puberty (which started when I was nine). And then I was the Autistic kid that blabbed about my present obsessions to the point that it made me a target. This went on until I was a Junior in high school, but it was at its very worst in middle school. It's why I'm a little more reserved in talking about the sort of things I like, and why I tend to spill them out when I am comfortable about it. And why I feel embarrassed when I pour my heart out on something and then not get much response from it.

Fortunately I did have adults who tried to help me, but there were always too many to deal with. I didn't even know a lot of the names of the kids who picked on me. But they were generally the teachers that my peers hated because they wouldn't let them goof around; and for that reason, I liked them. Especially my eighth grade grammar teacher. She might not have remotely shared my love of snakes, but she was one of my rocks. The other was my content mastery instructor, who had founded a social group for kids with Aspergers, which was where I had my friends...who were all boys.
And I wonder why I can only find female friends on the internet...

One thing I have noticed is that I've NEVER see someone come out and say that they had been a bully at some point in their lives. And if I have, I must have shut it out. I've never seen someone admit that they had gone out of their way to harass another person - especially when they were young.
But I've always seen an outpouring of people say they were bullied.
I was even surprised to see that one of the girls I considered "popular" (ei "friends with other girls") was bullied because she was always really tall and lanky.

Wesley
03-27-2017, 10:07 AM
I guess I had a bully for a year or so in school, though he wasn't a stereotypical bully. He was an annoyance rather than an enemy. He didn't beat people up or carry out any threats. He rarely lost his temper and was actually calm most of the time. He usually ran away from a fight (similar to OT Shredder).

I had an odd "frenemy" relationship with him, as he both liked and disliked me at different times for some reason. He seemed to have a split personality, as he acted like two completely different people every now and then. There were many times that he talked to me as if we were good friends. I was well able to stand up to him anyway and even scare/humiliate him a few times. Anytime he pushed me, I pushed him back. Anytime he insulted me, I insulted him back. I said a lot of good one-liners to him. He said ridiculous catchphrases such as "I'll fight ya for a fiver" and "I'll tell my mummy on you".

One time, this kid was chasing a few girls with a stick in the cloakroom and I hit him from behind with my school bag. In the wink of an eye, he had disappeared, persumably being weakened in the process. Another time, he wrote on my ruler that I was a "cool dude."

I never really got into fights myself either, as I would walk away before things got heated. I never felt I was on my own, as I did have a lot of people to talk to and I was confident enough to handle bullies anyway. I was a good student and was clever enough not to say or do anything bad when a teacher was present, so teachers were usually on my side.

The best advice I can give about bullies is to make your own mind up about them and not pay much attention to what other people think of them.

Cure
03-27-2017, 10:15 AM
Not really, no. I wasn't a bully, either, but I did make a girl cry once which I still feel bad about today.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-27-2017, 10:21 AM
Ignoring Cubed's ego-stroking, for those who did have bullies or were bullied, how did you deal with them? I feel that the information would be very good for younger members of the board.

I'll tell the youngsters what they shouldn't do: expect "telling someone" to solve the problem. That's what I did and I was so foolish to think that it'd stop. 4th - 6th grade a pack of assholes made school hell for me and they're the reason I'm so antisocial today.
The best way to deal with a bully is to make them hurt. Sock them in the face if they're pushing you too far. Schools discourage this these days (which I think is abhorrent) but whatever disciplinary punishment is handed down is a fair price to pay for averting potential years of further misery.

Krutch
03-27-2017, 11:04 AM
As a 1st grader I beat up a 8th grader for bullying my best friend.

So... you were 6-7 years old when you beat up a 13-14 year old?

Cure
03-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Physical vioence isn't always smart, at least not around here. There are so many gangs and whatnot that if you punch one kid you might as well pick a fight with all ten of his friends, who more than likely are packing. A kid got shot in my school my sophomore year. Metal detectors are a thing now but, you know, they're not gonna forget **** just because the bell rang.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Physical vioence isn't always smart, at least not around here. There are so many gangs and whatnot that if you punch one kid you might as well pick a fight with all ten of his friends, who more than likely are packing. A kid got shot in my school my sophomore year. Metal detectors are a thing now but, you know, they're not gonna forget **** just because the bell rang.

Hot damn. Living in the gangsta hood is rough.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-27-2017, 11:19 AM

Yeah, that's a no-win situation. One of the reasons I never fought back was because I was a pretty scrawny kid and one of my bullies was essentially a giant compared to me. You've also got to assess whether the bully's buddies just stick around him as "moral support," and will back off if violence starts, or if they're ready to actually take a punch for him. Stay away from that second group.

Candy Kappa
03-27-2017, 11:23 AM
So... you were 6-7 years old when you beat up a 13-14 year old?

Yeah, I was 7.

Wesley
03-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Yeah, that's a no-win situation. One of the reasons I never fought back was because I was a pretty scrawny kid and one of my bullies was essentially a giant compared to me. You've also got to assess whether the bully's buddies just stick around him as "moral support," and will back off if violence starts, or if they're ready to actually take a punch for him. Stay away from that second group.

My bully's cronies didn't hang around with him much, just a few times. Oddly enough, they didn't seem to like him (one of them got angry at him once), but they still talked to him for some reason. They didn't back him up at anytime.

plastroncafe
03-27-2017, 11:31 AM
Only in Jr High, and that was mostly due to me being way more interested in cartoons and turtles than New Kids/boys.
Socially awkward social climbing never goes well.

These days my bully is now engaged to the girl I had a crush on in grammar school.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 11:32 AM
These days my bully is now engaged to the girl I had a crush on in grammar school.

Do you still keep in contact with her? Is he an abusive boyfriend/husband to her or is he now a gentlemen?

plastroncafe
03-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Do you still keep in contact with her? Is he an abusive boyfriend/husband to her or is he now a gentlemen?

No. And she is not a gentleman as far as I am aware.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Oh, you mean the bully was a girl? Ah...I see.

Stephen
03-27-2017, 01:35 PM
I had one, when I was 14, that kept making rude comments about my lack of body hair, after showering after PE classes in year 9.

DisKosh
03-27-2017, 01:57 PM
I've been bullied throughout my entire school career.

I'm on the autistic spectrum so I didn't cope with being out of my own space for long periods of time and I would often run out of class, scream to block out any sound end end up curled up in the corridor with my eyes closed and my ears plugged.

Naturally this behaviour led to a lot of bullying. I also had a short temper and would hit and kick out, people would tell me to calm down but by that point, I was no longer in control of my own body. I know it sounds odd but honestly, I would have stopped if I could, it was a horrible feeling and it didn't stop them. All it did was get me in trouble. Fortunately my high school had a very good special ed otherwise I think I'd have been expelled.

At one point I tried bullying this other kid by name calling. I guess I wanted to make up for the lack of power I felt when I was the victim, however I got in trouble (rightly so) and felt so bad I never did it again. I'm still ashamed of it to this day.

I don't think people are doing enough to combat it. Often it's just ignored until the victim does themselves serious harm then everyone wonders why it was allowed to happen. We need to catch it early. Another reason being that it's often a cry for help, a kid who displays violence towards others could be the victim of violence at home or have other issues.
I firmly believe one of my primary school bullies targeted me because he didn't feel good enough, he came from a successful family but he never did that well in school and was always getting into trouble. I expect he was struggling and needed help and positive attention. I don't know where he is now, but I hope he'd doing better.

IndigoErth
03-27-2017, 01:57 PM
So, Cubed, you just asked so you could mostly pat yourself on the back?

Come on... were you home schooled? It doesn't really count if you're home schooled. :trazz: Since when was being eccentric a good thing during the school years... that usually makes a kid 'weird.'

As for me... More like a collection of various s***ty people over the years. Most were only verbal and ignored best I could, though that is still painful, esp as a kid. (I was one of those quiet kids causing no trouble, so of course wannabe bullies with weak egos would think I'm a good target.)

There are a couple little as*holes whom, if I could go back in time as an adult and protect my younger self, I'd gladly give a small beating to. If they aren't in prison today or dead if their behavior led them to it, then I hope they are very different people now, but still retain a lingering guilt that never goes away over how they used to treat other people.

My advice against bullies isn't very good, but making them bleed usually makes them stop or rethink future actions.
Even if I'd been tough enough to do that, it still wouldn't have gone over well, at least not in my middle school, the worst years.

That school and district at that time had some REALLY stupid ideas, one of them being that if someone got into a fight with you and you fought back, even in self defense, you'd get suspended just like the jerk who started it. And then for me that probably would not have gone too well at home either...

Both of the would-be-beaten kids I mentioned were at that school. Those were three years in particular that I just tried to keep my head down and get through it. The district had an incredibly stupid idea that they could make it better for inner city kids by busing them to the suburban schools instead. Terrible move. They gave NO thought to the fact that school environment is NOT just dependent on the quality of teachers and resources, but also the behavior and mentality of the students and their families. You can't just expect these kids to magically be better students by sticking them in the suburbs. The only thing that happened is that the same kids with the same attitudes and problems brought it to a different location. Which is then a culture clash with suburban kids who don't know how to handle dealing with kids who are used to a rough environment, who in turn did not know how to interact with others outside of the environment that shaped them. Quiet, meek little me dealing with kids who were raised around street and gang nonsense? Yeah... not good. Did they think kids like me would just rub off on them? Right.

I'm not saying kids who are stuck in those environments through no fault of their own don't deserve a chance, but that was the stupidest, most thoughtless and lazy way to try to solve the problem in the first place. They SHOULD have looked at those kids individually, looked at their grades and record of behavior in the class room, and sent only the kids to the suburban schools who would benefit from it, and whom the schools would benefit in having. Those who would not have been a good match would have done better with another alternative, such as a military style school (with lots of counseling and mentoring also available), to help reshape them to get them on a better path.

That said, I was very grateful when in my 8th grade year they decided that for the following year they'd start a choice option that would allow us to choose what high school we wanted to go to. So I got the hell out of my default school district and chose a high school that I largely enjoyed being at; a Vo-Tech school that existed as a small district of only three schools (all high schools) in the state and was a much better environment. It had it's share of jerks, but they were far fewer and that school accepted by application only and would kick out anyone they had to if it came down to that.

Jephael
03-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Eh, bullies suck!!! There's always going to be one. Hell, I had a bully co-worker not too long ago during my last 6 months or so at Wal*Mart, and I wasn't the only poor bastard he mistreated. Jerk-@$$es like that will eventually get what's coming to them, though at the same time it won't bring you peace of mind. You have to learn to let go of those feelings they leave you with.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 02:21 PM
So, Cubed, you just asked so you could mostly pat yourself on the back?

Come on... were you home schooled? It doesn't really count if you're home schooled. :trazz: Since when was being eccentric a good thing during the school years... that usually makes a kid 'weird.'

Nope, went to public school and a regular High School. The only time I remotely had someone bother me is around middle school, but even then as I said, for some reason I always had what I like to call "followers" who always defended me and stood up for me. I wasn't even necessarily friends with these people, but for some reason they always looked after me.

I seriously don't know what it was, because no matter where I go or what I do I seem to gain some kind of audience.

Turo602
03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
I had several bullies throughout my time in school but as someone who grew up with 3 older siblings, watched wrestling, and hated people, I didn't take too kindly to bullies. If they wanted to talk sh*t, I talked sh*t back, they wanted to get violent, I kicked their ass. I never got into too much trouble at school since I was a good student, so teachers usually had my back. I've also always played it smart by never throwing the first punch. As I got older though, I tried avoiding creating unnecessary heat and even shouldered some insults as letting that stuff escalate to violence would get me arrested. But getting older meant sharing class with more and more lowlifes who have no place in school. I let things go for the most part but I always stood my ground.

Stephen
03-27-2017, 04:14 PM
That school and district at that time had some REALLY stupid ideas, one of them being that if someone got into a fight with you and you fought back, even in self defense, you'd get suspended just like the jerk who started it. And then for me that probably would not have gone too well at home either...

Maybe from the school's perspective, allowing kids to hit each other, even in self-defense, is a legal liability. Particularly since it can be a fine line between self-defense and assault.

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 04:20 PM
I was the bully. ;)

ToTheNines
03-27-2017, 04:52 PM
The sad truth about most bullies is that the old cliché about them having ****ed up home lives is true. They're either unloved or treated like dirt, and it's what they've learned about human interaction from day one. They're easier to shrug off once you've learned that.

I was always very big for my age, but my school was K-6, so the older kids would often target me. Then I moved before 6th grade, and I caught some sh*t for being the new kid. But by 7th grade I was 6'2". A closet geek on the basketball team lol.

High school was all peace though. Had a couple of rivals, but it never got physical.

for some reason I always had what I like to call "followers" who always defended me and stood up for me. I wasn't even necessarily friends with these people, but for some reason they always looked after me.

I think I understand what was going on here.

DisKosh
03-27-2017, 05:08 PM
The sad truth about most bullies is that the old cliché about them having ****ed up home lives is true. They're either unloved or treated like dirt, and it's what they've learned about human interaction from day one. They're easier to shrug off once you've learned that.

Their behaviour shouldn't be shrugged off by the teachers though. Those kids need help as well as punishment.

I think a good starting point would be a detention and then use that time to find out their motivations.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 05:08 PM

Eh, it depends. Some bullies are just those handsome jocks who always had girlfriends and were football players. I don't think those guys had a rough homelife. They were just tough and picked on nerdy kids for no reason.

I think I understand what was going on here.

It happens anywhere I've been

Utrommaniac
03-27-2017, 05:12 PM
I was the bully. ;)

Conglaturations, you are the first person I've seen on the internet admit that they were the bully!

Prowler
03-27-2017, 05:16 PM

Honestly, I'm not so sure about that. A lot of times the biggest assholes in school were also the most popular male students who were liked because their male peers found them funny and because girls liked their "bad boyish" attitude and their "good looks". I think it depends how you define bullying. Not saying it's what you're doing here but lots of people think bullying is just physically assaulting others to steal their lunch money and tend to forget that verbal teasing can be very hurtful as well.

I think the worst years as far as bullying goes are from 7th to 9th grade. That's when kids are really assholes to each others. No teacher likes teaching those years, especially not 8th grade. From 10th grade on bullying gets less serious and less subtle.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-27-2017, 05:21 PM
It happens anywhere I've been

I think Nines is implying that, everywhere you go, people pity you.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 05:23 PM
I think Nines is implying that, everywhere you go, people pity you.

It's more to the fact that whatever the case, I always had people willing to help me back in school...for no reason. As I said, I wasn't even particularly friends with these people either, they just thought I was a "cool enough kid" to help out.

IndigoErth
03-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Their behaviour shouldn't be shrugged off by the teachers though. Those kids need help as well as punishment.

I think a good starting point would be a detention and then use that time to find out their motivations.
Agree. In work environments adults would never approve of it and there are rules against it (though there are always those who seem to wrongly get away with it), so I certainly don't see why it should be shrugged off in schools. Just because they're kids does not mean they are harmless like things.

Stupid thing is, bullies who don't have a good home life aren't exactly the only ones. Not all kids who have a crappy situation become bullies of others. I grew up with a mother that was kind of emotionally unstable and chose me to be the one she'd take her own problems out on. Did I become a bully? No. I was that withdrawn kid instead.

And these the little bastards that become bullies decide to harass others, esp easy targets like I was, making life that much more miserable for another kid who, unknown to them, may not be much happier at home.

And between dealing with my mother and crappy people at school... come middle school all that stress (and depression) culminated in a lovely period of anxiety attacks.

Prowler
03-27-2017, 05:25 PM
The sad thing is, lots of people blame victims of bullying for not fighting back, when most of the times the bullies are stronger than the victim or outnumber him/her. So how can you expect one to successfully fight back against such odds?

I still believe that the best way to dela with a bully is to beat him up, but that's easier said than done for the reasons mentioned above.

Tellin the teachers doesn't really work in the long run and other kids will just see you as a snitch.

I wonder how many bullied kids ended up shooting schools because no one ended up helping them out and they couldn't find a way to get back at their bullies.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-27-2017, 05:26 PM
they just thought I was a "cool enough kid" to help out.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 05:29 PM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Trust me, I know about these things.

Prowler
03-27-2017, 05:30 PM
It does seem kinda odd that you've never been actively targeted, CyberCubed, since you claim to be a short guy with very nerdy interests and zero interests in sports. For a casual observer you seem like a prime target for school bullies. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you didn't have a bad school experience at all but I can't believe you were actually that lucky. I really can't. It's like everything in your life is perfect or close to it, from your family to your health, to your personal experiences, etc. It seems like the only truly bad things to happen to you in your life were Turtle nostrils and Shredder almost turning white.

IndigoErth
03-27-2017, 05:34 PM
Trust me, I know about these things.
I figured it out. This is the secret account of Donald Trump.

It's like everything in your life is perfect or close to it, from your family to your health, to your personal experiences, etc. It seems like the only truly bad things to happen to you in your life were Turtle nostrils and Shredder almost turning white.
See, definitely Trump. Or similar frame of mind... No life is that perfect, even if negatives are locked away tight. (But now I wish Trump took to Twitter about Turtle nostrils.)

ToTheNines
03-27-2017, 05:37 PM
At the very least, they're kindred spirits.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you didn't have a bad school experience at all

It might have taught him some manners.

CyberCubed
03-27-2017, 05:40 PM
It does seem kinda odd that you've never been actively targeted, CyberCubed, since you claim to be a short guy with very nerdy interests and zero interests in sports. For a casual observer you seem like a prime target for school bullies. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you didn't have a bad school experience at all but I can't believe you were actually that lucky. I really can't. It's like everything in your life is perfect or close to it, from your family to your health, to your personal experiences, etc. It seems like the only truly bad things to happen to you in your life were Turtle nostrils and Shredder almost turning white.

I think it's the fact that I get bothered by negative things in cartoons/shows or whatever instead of real life stuff, would prove that in real life I don't have anything worth complaining about, so that's what I focus on. It's the people who have serious real life problems that of course don't care about trivial things in entertainment media and instead talk about how depressed they are or how their lives are poor.

Prowler
03-27-2017, 05:41 PM

See, definitely Trump. Or similar frame of mind... No life is that perfect, even if negatives are locked away tight. (But now I wish Trump took to Twitter about Turtle nostrils.)

Cubed being Trump? I don't believe that. Cubed is quite calm and... rational to some degree.

At the very least, they're kindred spirits.

It might have taught him some manners.
Well, tbh, considering some things he's sai here throughout the years really makes me wonder how no one has slapped him irl ever. My guess is that he's a lot more quiet irl. I guess you're just another keyboard warrior at the end of the day eh Cubed? :P

FredWolfLeonardo
03-27-2017, 05:44 PM
Cubed being Trump? I don't believe that. Cubed is quite calm and... rational to some degree.

There was suspicion of this back in the Debate night thread when I pointed that Cubed and Trump both use the techniques of repetition and the shoehorning of points to capture attention.

Prowler
03-27-2017, 05:45 PM
There was suspicion of this back in the Debate night thread when I pointed that Cubed and Trump both use the techniques of repetition and the shoehorning of points to capture attention.
Tbh, it's kinda odd that Cubed claims to be a left-winger considering his stances aren't exactly reflective of that.

DisKosh
03-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Stupid thing is, bullies who don't have a good home life aren't exactly the only ones. Not all kids who have a crappy situation become bullies of others. I grew up with a mother that was kind of emotionally unstable and chose me to be the one she'd take her own problems out on. Did I become a bully? No. I was that withdrawn kid instead.

And these the little bastards that become bullies decide to harass others, esp easy targets like I was, making life that much more miserable for another kid who, unknown to them, may not be much happier at home.

And between dealing with my mother and crappy people at school... come middle school all that stress (and depression) culminated in a lovely period of anxiety attacks.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. *hugs*

Not all kids with a crappy home life are affected that way but many are. Schools should do more to ensure that there is no shame in speaking out about it. Sadly some kids will always slip through the gaps but the schools could do more to make sure it happens less.

snake
03-27-2017, 07:24 PM

This is true in my case. I've never been bullied, but I knew a kid who was a bully. He talked about how his dad used to beat the sh*t out of him until he learned to fight back.

Coola Yagami
03-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I avoided fights but I do agree with some of the earlier posters. Back in grade school things were more personal, one on one, but when I was in high school... you hit one, you might as well challenge the whole gang, and guns and knives usually end up being involved. No thank you.

DestronMirage22
03-27-2017, 11:58 PM
Never really got bullied, mostly just ignored, which is what I preferred and strived for it to be that way.

One thing regarding bullying I remember was an event with one kid who got bullied. Many of the other kids would chastise him for his interests in Legos, his bowl haircut, and the fact that he played the trumpet in band. I never really talked to him, but he was a nice kid, he didn't deserve that kind of stuff. Eventually it got so bad, his mom had to take him out of school and he got homeschooled. I remember multiple occasions that I could've stood up for the poor kid and helped hin, and I always feel bad that I didn't.

CyberCubed
03-28-2017, 12:02 AM
but when I was in high school... you hit one, you might as well challenge the whole gang, and guns and knives usually end up being involved. No thank you.

What the hell? Is this really how life is like in the gangsta hood in those ghetto schools?

I mean in my schools when people fought it was just small fist fights that ended quickly and everyone just got over it and moved on. You're telling me fights consisted of people stabbing, shooting and killing each other in your schools? And gangs?

Man, I feel sorry for you guys growing up in schools like that. I thought this stuff only happened in the movies and on TV, not in real life.

Coola Yagami
03-28-2017, 12:06 AM
What the hell? Is this really how life is like in the gangsta hood in those ghetto schools?

I mean in my schools when people fought it was just small fist fights that ended quickly and everyone just got over it and moved on. You're telling me fights consisted of people stabbing, shooting and killing each other in your schools? And gangs?

Man, I feel sorry for you guys growing up in schools like that. I thought this stuff only happened in the movies and on TV, not in real life.

No at the school itself. But afterwards if you were unlucky enough to run into whoever you messed with and his posse off the school grounds. So yeah, even if you win today at a one on one, you might lose the next day when you get jumped by his buds.

There's only been 2 or 3 shootings that I remember at my school. I honestly don't remember anyone getting shot but I do remember the halls full of everyone running the hell out.

Turo602
03-28-2017, 12:19 AM

Yeah, it's more common in middle school and high school as that's the age when students have already made up their mind about school, and probably already joined gangs, but are still obligated to go because they still live with their parents. I've had a few close encounters with gang members in and out of school but it never escalated. I was never afraid of them and wasn't afraid to fight back, but luckily, nothing serious ever came from it. I fought older kids and even 3 kids at once, but never got into it with gangs. Though, some of them probably did end up in gangs later in life. I did hear some crazy stories though about stuff like that happening in other classes and my middle school was put on lockdown twice for increase in fights.

Cure
03-28-2017, 12:43 AM

No one needs pity, especially not from someone making ignorant remarks. Everyone learns to deal and as long as they were smart, it's not an issue.

Prowler
03-28-2017, 01:49 PM
While I didn't go to a "hood gangsta" school, about, let's say 25 or so percent of my HS had troublesome students. I didn't get involved in their sh*t and they didn't mess with me or my classmates either.

Jephael
03-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Here's something that always bothered me. Upon being placed in special ed due to my learning disabilities in the 6th Grade, I made friends with a classmate who had cerebral palsy, which resulted in her being unable to walk without crutches. That was bad enough... For some f*cked up reason we were stuck with all sorts of delinquent troublemakers in most of our classes, a couple of which liked to pick on her, and I felt so helpless seeing it unfold. Looking back, I kinda feel like that's why I get so over emotional when I see certain people on the internet act in a similar manner, because deep down it reminds me of my poor friend being ridiculed and harassed over a medical condition she never asked to be born with! It sickens me to this day how @SSwipes still continue to treat the physically and/or mentally impaired in such a manner!!! :tmad:

Shark_Blade
03-29-2017, 07:56 AM
I was the bully and am ashamed. I'm a changed man now, believe.

Jephael
03-29-2017, 08:16 AM

Glad to hear that, dude!!! I wish more people would wise up and realize that bullying never accomplishes anything but pain and heartache... and in some cases death.

AquaParade
03-29-2017, 08:24 AM
I had something like a bully for a couple years. He ended up committing suicide a few years ago.

Gives you perspective.

Jephael
03-29-2017, 08:33 AM
I had something like a bully for a couple years. He ended up committing suicide a few years ago.

Gives you perspective.

Maybe he was being bullied by someone... possibly a relative. They say we should all be considerate to each other as we have no idea what each other may or may not be going through. I've learned the hard way though, reaching out to people can always be tricky, and sometimes you're better off leaving certain people be.

DisKosh
03-29-2017, 01:56 PM

That's a little harsh. Now I feel sorry for Cubed.

That's great to hear. :)

TheCanadiandrome
03-29-2017, 11:21 PM
Through most of grade school. Kinda dissipated by high school

DarkFell
03-30-2017, 12:23 AM
I did share some classes with a few of the twerps that tried to bully me. One of them graduated in my class, and he was a former football player. I'm pretty sure that he didn't know what to think when I shook his hand and congratulated him for graduating.

Another dude that I knew that played the bully card, he eventually disappeared - dropped out, moved, something.

The lesser wannabe bullies - I lost track and sight of them due to us taking different classes.

Jephael
03-30-2017, 01:51 AM
Oh I just remembered, there was this one insane kid I knew around 8th grade who wasn't exactly a bully but just incredibly messed up in the head. To this day I dunno if he had a drug problem, or was just psychotic. One day he just spazzed out in the middle of class, punched another classmate in the arm and ran off, the teacher altered security and we never spoke of that deranged bastard ever again.

Rooish
04-01-2017, 08:58 PM
I don't generally think that I was bullied, although my best friend from kindergarten to grade 6 took out a lot of her issues (I think her mom was slightly abusive) on me. I then took out some of this aggression on a mutual, smaller friend.

I do always forget this, but when I was in like first grade, a group of sixth grade boys would say they had a knife and were going to kill me. I don't remember how this stopped, or if they only did it a couple times. I would have assumed that I would have told my mom, who would have bulldozed the school to intervene, but I don't remember that happening either.

No bullies ever since though.

Stephen
04-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Oh I just remembered, there was this one insane kid I knew around 8th grade who wasn't exactly a bully but just incredibly messed up in the head. To this day I dunno if he had a drug problem, or was just psychotic. One day he just spazzed out in the middle of class, punched another classmate in the arm and ran off, the teacher altered security and we never spoke of that deranged bastard ever again.

Was he removed from class permanently?

Jephael
04-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Was he removed from class permanently?

I'm pretty sure he got sent to a mental hospital or something. As Bruce Banner would say, his brain was a bag of cats, you could smell the "crazy" on him!!!

IndigoErth
04-03-2017, 01:49 PM
One day he just spazzed out in the middle of class, punched another classmate in the arm and ran off
o.O Would be interesting to know what eventually happened to him. That does sound a bit psychotic, like maybe voices were telling him the other student wanted to harm him or something.

If that were the case, that's kinda sad, no one asks for that, but he prob should have been diagnosed far soon. (Or maybe he was and had started refusing to take his meds.)

Stephen
05-03-2017, 04:53 AM
In year 10, we had a bunch of people, that tended to be troublemakers, manage to get themselves kicked out, just within weeks of starting a new school.

FredWolfLeonardo
05-03-2017, 05:32 AM
Not really but since I was the tallest who looked intimidating, people always used to come to me asking if I could be their body guard. I even got paid once by another kid to have his back if he got picked on but I never got into the situation where I had to fight someone. I looked aggressive and easily stronger than just about anyone in my old school of short and scrawny kids but I was actually pretty gentle and didn't actively seek out fights or bully anyone.

Home was different though, I was bullied by my older male cousin who was 17 while I was like 11. It wasn't really physical, but alot of Taunting and threats and if I told anyone like my parents or his parents: Id have preferred beatings instead. He was much taller and was one of the strongest people I knew so I was essentially helpless against him. His younger brother and sister (who I was best friends with) were dickbags for not standing up for me and even ganging up on occassion. All is forgiven now and what's really funny is that when I stand next to my oldest cousin now, I'm easily much taller than him and if he still was a jerk today, he'd know not to take me on in a fight.

Stephen
05-03-2017, 05:41 AM
Home was different though, I was bullied by my older male cousin who was 17 while I was like 11. It wasn't really physical, but alot of Taunting and threats and if I told anyone like my parents or his parents

Were his parents unable to keep him under control, if they had known about it?

FredWolfLeonardo
05-03-2017, 05:47 AM
Were his parents unable to keep him under control, if they had known about it?

They probably would've given him a good beating that drove him to tears and then command him to never bully me again. Knowing him though, he would've beaten me up for revenge followed by the same cycle repeated of taunting then getting caught again. Id wouldn't have been a pretty cycle, thats for sure.

Stephen
05-03-2017, 06:35 AM
Although once he turned 18, it would be assault on a minor, which would be rather awkward for him.
What was he taunting you about?

FredWolfLeonardo
05-03-2017, 07:27 AM
Although once he turned 18, it would be assault on a minor, which would be rather awkward for him.
What was he taunting you about?

Nothing really specific. Just the normal "you're so small and weak" type of taunting, but never really turned physical. I was wrong though for taking it personally at the time and then letting the anger out by taunting my younger sister the same way for a short time. But then one day I looked in the mirror and realized I didn't wanna turn into a jerk like him, so I cut it out and have been very glad I did.

Oddly enough, I had another cousin about his age who I would wrestle for fun. He beat me every single time, being much bigger and stronger than me and it even was painful when I was crushed under his weight but I never resented him. He was a pretty nice guy and I liked him, much better than the taunting cousin.

Stephen
05-03-2017, 08:28 AM
I had a few comments about being short in high school when I was 15/16 (I wasn't short - some of these people were just moderately taller) but hit growth spurts a lot after that. From around 5' 6 at 16 to around 5' 10 at 21.

Unworthy tinker
05-03-2017, 07:42 PM
I had bully in third grade. He bullied a few other girls, so if I tried telling teachers they would just give the old "He just has a crush on you!" excuse. Or try to make the claim anonymous and ask that I didn't say who it was.
One day he was throwing rocks at me, then pushed me off of the jungle gym during recess. When we went back into the building, we went to music class shortly after. We were assigned to sit next to each other and he tugged on my hair. I finally had enough and punched the a-hole in the gut. He claimed it didn't hurt, but he treated me and my friends nicer after that. (to top it off, no trouble because I did that! Man, they really didn't care about bullying, despite all the PSAs we were shown.)

Currently I wouldn't say that I'm bullied, but I don't know what else to call this. I have like, half of my classes with this one stuck up guy. Rich upperclassman, he seems to be since he has money for stupid shite like $100 designer fur lined sandals. That's whatever, but he just seems so petty. He'll frequently ask to whole room something. I can answer and he'll say "I didn't want you to answer", but a chick wearing makeup will give him the same answer and he'll except it. IDK, it's passive, he probably doesn't even really mean it, but it does sting just a little.
Oh, and back to the sandals. He bought them because they were a better buy than a $40 pair on Converse, because Converse are apparently "peasant" shoes. Uhh, yeah, I wear Converse. Pretty sure half the kids at my school do. I hope that one day, somebody knocks him off his little high thrown. Or at least takes him down a peg.

Stephen
05-04-2017, 05:29 AM
We were assigned to sit next to each other and he tugged on my hair. I finally had enough and punched the a-hole in the gut. He claimed it didn't hurt, but he treated me and my friends nicer after that.

Maybe he was afraid that he'd be hit even harder, if he tried doing that again.