PDA

View Full Version : The Pirates of Dark Water

ProphetofGanja
03-30-2017, 07:41 PM
Anybody remember this show? I used to love watching it as a kid and I just saw it mentioned on some listicle somewhere online recently.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/e9omorkmAxU/hqdefault.jpg

From http://piratesofdarkwater.net/information/show.html
It details the quest of a small band of allies from the alien world of Mer, who have set out to recover the lost and mystical Thirteen Treasures of Rule, in order to stop the Dark Water, a tarlike, semi-sentient substance poisoning Mer's seas that swallows anything it touches. The Treasures are the only things that have the power to push the Dark Water back into the core of Mer, where it's coming from.

This group of heroes consists of Ren, the prince of the once marvelous but now dying kingdom of Octopon; Niddler, a monkey-bird; Ioz, an ex-pirate who'll never turn down a chance to get his hands on gold or treasure; and Tula, an independent girl and an ecomancer from the island of Andorus.

However, Ren and his friends aren't the only ones after the Treasure; the feared pirate lord Bloth, whose hate of Ren's father, the late king Primus of Octopon, has spread to Ren as well, tries to obtain the Treasures for his own personal gain and to let him control the Dark Water.

I read up on what happened with the show and it was never finished properly due to rising costs, declining ratings and Hanna-Barbera being bought out by Turner Broadcasting.

With all the shows getting reboots nowadays, I hope this one gets a shot.

CyberCubed
03-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Cartoon Network used to rerun this all the time along with Swat Kats in the 90's, they were both fun shows. I also have the videogame for SNES which is a fun beat 'em up.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-30-2017, 08:11 PM
I actually have this qued up on my "to buy" list on Amazon along with The Mysteriois Cities of Gold and a few other classic 80's cartoons. I loved it as a kid but don't remember it as well as I'd like.

sdp
03-30-2017, 11:03 PM
I didn't like it as a kid but never really gave it a chance. I finally checked it out a few years ago and watched the whole show since animation fans would constantly praise it and I did end up liking it. It's definitely dated but if I'd only given the character designs more of a chance and tried to get into the story I could've loved it as a kid. The show reminds me a bit of Avatar:The Last |Airbender with their hybrid animals and the powers the girl had, it could definitel be set in that universe if you think about it.

I would love a revival of the show, it could be awesome and I could also imagine this as a Hercules/Xena type live action show. None of these things will likely ever happen though, I don't even think this thread will get to 10 posts.

TheBlueTurtle1
03-31-2017, 01:37 AM
I used to love this show, there was never very many episodes made, always wished they had done more.:-?

drgon78
03-31-2017, 05:28 AM
I love the show but is sad that they never got to finish the story.

TurtleWA
03-31-2017, 08:57 AM
Yes, very captivating show as a little one. My eyes stayed glued to the tv when I happened upon this show. It seemed very different than other shows I was watching.

I can't remember though if it was part of my Saturday morning viewing or not; I watched so much tv. Man I loved those morning shows with my bowl of cereal.

Wesley
03-31-2017, 09:12 AM
I've heard of the show but never watched it. It reminds me of the Captain Redbeard cartoon that I watched in the early 00s, though.

ProphetofGanja
03-31-2017, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I feel like this came on around the same time as Johnny Quest, another favorite show of mine from that era.

It is a shame that they never finished the story, with the characters only managing to retrieve 8 of the 13 needed treasures to repel the evil Dark Water back to the core of the planet. It's one of those really frustrating unfinished stories. Like Samurai Jack was until this year, so I guess there's always hope! A lot less interest in this series though I think, but still, fingers crossed.

Cartoon Network used to rerun this all the time along with Swat Kats in the 90's, they were both fun shows. I also have the videogame for SNES which is a fun beat 'em up.

Swat Kats is one of those shows that I came to think was just a fever dream because for the longest I couldn't remember the name and when I'd describe it as a show about two cats who were garbage men by day and crimefighters by night, people would look at me like I was crazy :lol:

drgon78
03-31-2017, 10:08 AM
Swat Kats is also awesome and wished it lasted more then two seasons.

CyberCubed
03-31-2017, 12:14 PM
These shows were all made by Hanna-Barbera too. It's nice they were trying their hand at action/adventure shows since they mostly made comedy shows like Looney Tunes, or sit-coms like Flintstones, Jetsons, or stuff like Scooby-doo and Tom and Jerry, or all the Huckleberry Hound and Snagglepuss stuff.

Redeemer
03-31-2017, 12:29 PM
These shows were all made by Hanna-Barbera too. It's nice they were trying their hand at action/adventure shows since they mostly made comedy shows like Looney Tunes, or sit-coms like Flintstones, Jetsons, or stuff like Scooby-doo and Tom and Jerry, or all the Huckleberry Hound and Snagglepuss stuff.

I'm pretty sure hannah barbera didn't make looney tunes :lol:

MsMarvelDuckie
03-31-2017, 09:20 PM
Uh yeeeaaaahh.... Loony Toons was/is. WB property. Along with Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs.