PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon Network's 2017-2018 Line-Up

ZariusTwo
03-31-2017, 08:47 AM
New series include Apple & Onion, created by George Gendi (The Amazing World of Gumball); Craig of the Creek, an adventure series created by Matt Burnett and Ben Levin; Summer Camp Island animated series, which is coming off notable runs at this year’s Sundance Film Festival and SXSW; previously announced OK K.O.! Let’s Be Heroes; Ben 10, the latest show coming out of the highly successful franchise; and Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, which premiered earlier this month.

Cartoon Network
In the returning column are We Bare Bears, which will premiere its third season; the second season of The Powerpuff Girls; Season 2 of Mighty Magiswords; a new Adventure Time miniseries; along with Steven Universe; Go Titans Go (Season 4); and The Amazing World of Gumballs.

“As kids’ viewing habits have evolved, Cartoon Network has always been there with them,” said Christina Miller, President Cartoon Network-Adult Swim-Boomerang. “From their first experience with a Kids network website and video app; to their first series VR game; and most recently, their first app to use ACR, we are keeping our sole focus on them as they inspire us to reimagine television.”

“Cartoon Network has cracked the code on how a leading media brand can engage with fans through true total consumption,” said Donna Speciale, President of Turner Ad Sales. “Whether it’s VOD or gaming, or everything in between, plurals are connecting with this brand globally in ways most media brands haven’t yet experienced. That presents an incredibly powerful opportunity for our advertising partners this Upfront.”

Below are details of Cartoon Network’s programming and mobile and gaming slate for the 2017-18 season:

NEW SERIES

• Apple & Onion – Being new and naďve to the ways of the “big city of sophisticated food” doesn’t stop the wide-eyed enthusiasm of the lovable buddies Apple and Onion who are destined to find their way and make lots of friends on their incredible adventure of life. The friendship comedy is created by George Gendi (The Amazing World of Gumball).

• Craig of the Creek – At the Creek, the rules of the outside world don’t apply in this kid utopia of untamed wilderness where Craig and his two best friends have ventured and tribes of children reign over tree forts and dirt bike ramps. The adventure series is created by Matt Burnett and Ben Levin, formerly from Steven Universe.

• Summer Camp Island – Having completed a momentous and critically acclaimed run at this year’s most notable festivals including the Sundance Film Festival and SXSW, this wildly imaginative animated series, based on the original Cartoon Network short, will continue unfolding the mysteries that Oscar and his best friend Hedgehog encounter at a magical summer camp. The series hails from creator Julia Pott (Adventure Time).

• OK K.O.! Let’s Be Heroes – Cartoon Network powers up a world of original heroes across the TV and gaming landscape together with the greenlight of this action-packed comedy followed by the console and PC game jointly developed with indie video game studio Capybara games. The knockout series is inspired by creator Ian Jones-Quartey’s childhood and follows the heroic feats of K.O., an endlessly optimistic boy attempting to level up to be the best he can be in a dynamic universe of heroes, friends and challenging foes. The series builds on OK K.O.! Lakewood Plaza Turbo, the network’s first original standalone mobile game and was developed from a pilot that was part of Cartoon Network’s Emmy Award-winning shorts program.

• Ben 10 – The newest show coming out of the highly successful franchise has launched multiple animated series, and numerous animated and live-action movies. Playmates Toys serves as the worldwide master toy partner for the new Ben 10 with a full line of toys based on the show that will include a range of figures, playsets, and role-play items set to launch at retail globally this fall. The wild adventures begin debuting Monday, April 10 and will introduce fun loving, 10-year-old, Ben Tennyson, his cousin Gwen, and Grandpa Max, as they traverse the country during summer vacation. Once Ben finds the Omnitrix, a mysterious watch that transforms him into 10 different heroic aliens, a world of extraterrestrial superpowers opens to him, which kids of all ages will admire. Ben 10 is created by and executive produced by Man of Action Entertainment.

• Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs – The mouth-watering animated comedy series premiered earlier this month and is based on Sony Pictures Animation’s highly successful 2009 global feature Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and subsequent, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. The TV series is produced in association with DHX Media, Sony Pictures Animation and Corus Entertainment.

RETURNING SERIES

• We Bare Bears – The BAFTA Award-winning series created by Daniel Chong stacks up a third and hilarious season. In the newest season, Grizzly (Eric Edelstein), Panda (Bobby Moynihan) and Ice Bear (Demetri Martin) meet up with favorite friends and frenemies voiced by Patton Oswalt, Charlyne Yi, Jason Lee, Ellie Kemper and Cameron Esposito. The adorable baby bears add more hijinks and commotion to the delight of fans. Festive holiday specials and new guest appearances by comedian Ron Funches and notable voice actor John DiMaggio round out the season as the Bears continue their comedic adventures around the Bay Area and beyond.

• The Powerpuff Girls – The Emmy nominated series is back and kicking off a second season featuring all-new characters and specials, plus action-packed battles between the superhero sisters and fan-favorite villains HIM and Mojo Jojo. The newly reimagined series is executive produced by Nick Jennings and co-executive produced by Bob Boyle, and will continue to further Cartoon Network’s commitment to STEAM education with two additional themed episodes this season. The wildly successful online Powerpuff Yourself avatar maker, which reached over 12 million fans at its launch, has now been updated so even more fans can see themselves as a real Townsville superhero. The original series was created by Craig McCracken.

• Mighty Magiswords – Recently picked up for a second season, Mighty Magiswords will expand on Prohyas and Vambre’s epic adventures as they embark on more hilarious quests in pursuit of the latest and greatest Magiswords to add to their coveted collections. Created by Kyle A. Carrozza, Mighty Magiswords is comprised of a rich hub of more than 500 pieces of original content including interactive shorts, narrative vlogs and a multitude of immersive digital games and apps.

• Adventure Time – The Emmy and Peabody Award-winning show is back with an eight-part miniseries of epic proportions later this year. Fans will be just as surprised as Finn to discover what happened to the kingdoms of Ooo while he was away at sea. This next miniseries comes fresh off the heels of Adventure Time: Islands, which reached almost four million people. The series is created by Pendleton Ward and executive produced by Adam Muto.

• Steven Universe – Friendships are tested as the saga continues in this Emmy-nominated series, created by Rebecca Sugar. The show returns with new adventurous story arcs and specials, in which fans will meet more Gems, spend time with the Diamonds and gain insight into the ever-mysterious Gem Homeworld while the series’ titular hero Steven Universe will grow as a leader. Steven Universe is lauded for having a voice of inclusion, and was recently nominated for its first GLAAD Media Award in the Outstanding Comedy Series category.

• Teen Titans Go! – Season four of the hit series continues and get ready for the show’s 200th episode as Robin, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy and Cyborg prepare to save the world in a special, two-part episode. Audiences are also in for an egg-ceptional treat in a spring special featuring the mythical Tooth Fairy who tries to take over the holiday from the Easter Bunny. Series is produced by Warner Bros. Animation.

• The Amazing World of Gumball – This BAFTA and Emmy Award-winning series from Cartoon Network Studios EMEA conjures up a new Halloween special and continues warm-hearted adventures including an episode with live-action puppets with the energetic and fearless blue cat—Gumball—and his idiosyncratic family, the Wattersons.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/cartoon-network-2017-2018-programming-slate-six-new-returning-series-upfronts-1202054922/

NinjaPug
03-31-2017, 08:57 AM
Did the new Justice League cartoon already get cancelled?

TheSkeletonMan939
03-31-2017, 10:02 AM
They're still making Adventure Time? I got the impression that they were planning to do away with it along with Regular Show.

Only thing I see here worth watching is Gumball.

ZariusTwo
03-31-2017, 10:05 AM
They're still making Adventure Time? I got the impression that they were planning to do away with it along with Regular Show.

It was announced a while back it has an end point...2019 I think.

drgon78
03-31-2017, 10:06 AM
Crap, crap, and more crap.

ProphetofGanja
03-31-2017, 10:26 AM
It was announced a while back it has an end point...2019 I think.

That's somewhat comforting. I fell off after Finn met his dad, I'll probably catch back up at some point.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-31-2017, 10:26 AM
Did the new Justice League cartoon already get cancelled?

Maybe they want to keep their animation budget in check and didn't renew it in favor of YJ 3.

DestronMirage22
03-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Only thing I see here worth watching is Gumball.

THIS.
Gumball is the only good show CN has left. A damn shame it's ending. This show will undoubtedly be missed, and no new show could ever fill the hole it'll leave.

Utrommaniac
03-31-2017, 11:31 AM
Does Summer Camp Island look like a slightly different version of Camp Lazlo to any of you??? With a touch of Camp Weedontwancha?

Autbot_Benz
03-31-2017, 12:01 PM
I Don't think Justice League Action is cancelled they had a toy line shown at Toy Fair earlier in the year. Also There are a ton of episodes that haven't aired yet.

The Deadman
03-31-2017, 12:04 PM
Man Cartoon Network has really gone downhill...

CyberCubed
03-31-2017, 12:08 PM
If Justice League Action is canceled after one season, my god, CN is truly retarded. This was a show that balanced comedy and action and focused on the DC heroes which CN has nothing of right now besides TTGo.

I made some posts on toonzone about this on their DC forum asking if JLA is canceled, so far people are telling me to wait and see.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-31-2017, 12:10 PM
I hope it's in no way an indication that YJ season 3 is heading to CN.

CyberCubed
03-31-2017, 12:11 PM
I hope it's in no way an indication that YJ season 3 is heading to CN.

I thought that was confirmed netflix? They were the ones airing YJ Seasons 1-2 and got viewership of that is likely what got Young Justice Season 3 greenlit.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-31-2017, 12:13 PM
Weisman et al. have been very clear that WB isn't 100% certain where the show will end up. Remember that we learned about its renewal literally days after he himself did. I would hope it'd be a Netflix-type format (for several reasons) but CN is also a possibility just like anything else.

CyberCubed
03-31-2017, 12:29 PM
It's a sad time for action cartoon fans in general. CN keeps killing whatever DC cartoons they have in favor of comedy like Teen Titans Go.

Nick is ending the current TMNT cartoon by the end of this season, and in 2018 replacing it with a more comedy-centric series. All the current Marvel cartoons are subpar and don't compare to the older stuff. Meanwhile other shows like Avatar/Legend of Korra are long over.

It's weird as hell. There are just no action cartoons around anymore. I remember when I was a kid all i wanted to do was watch action cartoons.

ZariusTwo
03-31-2017, 12:35 PM
I made some posts on toonzone about this on their DC forum asking if JLA is canceled, so far people are telling me to wait and see.

People still go to Toonzone's forums? I lurked there a couple of months ago and it seemed pretty dead.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-31-2017, 12:37 PM
It's all being phased out for Hanna-Barbera tier (maybe even lower) material. Very cheap and easy to animate, with quickly written plots that have a definite focus on kids as the audience. For me, literally the only redeeming quality of TTG (and I imagine many viewers) is the inclusion of the original voice cast.

People still go to Toonzone's forums? I lurked there a couple of months ago and it seemed pretty dead.

The place is a ghost-town.

CyberCubed
03-31-2017, 12:49 PM

You can say the same for any major forum over the last 10 years. Social media like twitter and tumblr has replaced forums.

Seriously, almost every forum/board I was a regular on in the early and mid 2000's is now either a ghostown or practically dead. It seems all the new young teens of today just make their twitter and tumblr's about whatever shows they like. While old people like us are still used to traditional forums.

Dust
03-31-2017, 12:53 PM
You can say the same for any major forum over the last 10 years. Social media like twitter and tumblr has replaced forums.

Seriously, almost every forum/board I was a regular on in the early and mid 2000's is now either a ghostown or practically dead. It seems all the new young teens of today just make their twitter and tumblr's about whatever shows they like. While old people like us are still used to traditional forums.

That's not totally true though is it? This place is pretty lively all things considered, and the only other forum I frequent is TFW2005, which is still very active to this day. Some forums die sooner than others I guess.

Cure
03-31-2017, 12:55 PM
Every year, the same complaints.

ABrown
03-31-2017, 01:28 PM

That's not totally true though is it? This place is pretty lively all things considered, and the only other forum I frequent is TFW2005, which is still very active to this day. Some forums die sooner than others I guess.

Here's the thing about Toonzone forums: they're pretty much hands down the best place to discuss DC animation. But outside of that, there's just no discussion going on about any other cartoons that I'm interested in. Except for Star Wars Rebels, and there's the same amount of discussion about that series going on at TFW2005, where I go to get my Transformers fill. And obviously I come here for TMNT.

CyberCubed
03-31-2017, 01:39 PM
Toonzone was crazy active in the early 2000's. I remember when Justice League, the original Teen Titans, and 4kids TMNT were airing, as well as all the Marvel shows like X-men Evolution, Spectacular Spiderman, and Avatar, etc....there was tons of discussion.

Also discussion for Simpsons and Futurama, all the anime that was airing on Cartoon Network or WB at the time, etc.

I think it was around 2010 or so that toonzone started dying off, and while there's still posts there it's about a shadow of it's former self.

Powder
03-31-2017, 01:56 PM
That's somewhat comforting. I fell off after Finn met his dad, I'll probably catch back up at some point.

They've done some pretty cool stuff since then, explored a few important character origins & whatnot.

Allio
03-31-2017, 02:00 PM
Looks like only cartoon I'm watching this year is "Kitty is (not) a cat"

Dust
03-31-2017, 02:05 PM
Can't believe Adventure Time is ending next year. The two shows that helped to kickstart CN back to life, AT and Regular Show, both ending. Not surprising though, and I'm happy that Regular Show got a good ending, here's to hoping
Adventure Time will have one as well.

Lineup isn't too bad, but I'm not a regular viewer of Cartoon Network anymore.

LeotheLateBloomer
03-31-2017, 05:24 PM
If Justice League Action is canceled after one season, my god, CN is truly retarded. This was a show that balanced comedy and action and focused on the DC heroes which CN has nothing of right now besides TTGo.

And not too long ago, you were nitpicking left and right on the show before it even aired and you end up enjoying.

CyberCubed
03-31-2017, 06:06 PM
It's a decent show, but I'm more baffled that CN keeps greenlighting new shows and paying for them to be produced...just to kill them off almost immediately. What a collossal waste of time and money. I bet all the writers/directors and voice actors are pissed this keeps happening.

Come to think of it, I think Brave and the Bold was the last DC cartoon that got a full run. Every other show since has been canceled prematurely.

ssjup81
03-31-2017, 06:12 PM
That's somewhat comforting. I fell off after Finn met his dad, I'll probably catch back up at some point.Skip all that go to more recent stuff. Finn learns about his parents, what happened to the humans, and we learned how Finn was separated from his parents.

Donatello19
03-31-2017, 06:23 PM
Skip all that go to more recent stuff. Finn learns about his parents, what happened to the humans, and we learned how Finn was separated from his parents.

Wow. I stopped watching Adventure Time a number of years ago but after hearing this, I'm actually sort of interested again. Too bad it took 7 years for them to start going into one of the biggest mysteries of the show, I feel like that's why I and a lot of other people fell off after a while.

CyberCubed
03-31-2017, 06:23 PM
Here's the Justice League Action thread on toonzone:

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/justice-league-action-news-discussion-thread-part-4-spoilers.5592292/

Many are suspecting the show has been canceled. I don't think we know for sure yet though.

ssjup81
03-31-2017, 06:39 PM
Wow. I stopped watching Adventure Time a number of years ago but after hearing this, I'm actually sort of interested again. Too bad it took 7 years for them to start going into one of the biggest mysteries of the show, I feel like that's why I and a lot of other people fell off after a while.I usually watch Adventure Time out of boredom and desperate for something to watch. I think the batch of eps that came out in January or maybe February focused on this. It actually had me totally interested. Anyway, Finn and Jake leave Ooo to find humans.

Powder
03-31-2017, 06:59 PM
Skip all that go to more recent stuff. Finn learns about his parents, what happened to the humans, and we learned how Finn was separated from his parents.

The episodes are only 10 minutes long, seems pointless to skip. Marceline's extensive arc was pretty cool & some Finn stuff is tied into it.

ProphetofGanja
03-31-2017, 08:11 PM

Oh wow nice, I'm definitely gonna check that out

Wow. I stopped watching Adventure Time a number of years ago but after hearing this, I'm actually sort of interested again. Too bad it took 7 years for them to start going into one of the biggest mysteries of the show, I feel like that's why I and a lot of other people fell off after a while.

I kinda liked how at first they didn't even bring it up for a while, they just had the occasional references to "The Great Mushroom Wars" but I am glad to know they finally revealed some more information. I think it was one of the slower episodes that put me off for a while, like one of the graybles ones

The episodes are only 10 minutes long, seems pointless to skip. Marceline's extensive arc was pretty cool & some Finn stuff is tied into it.

True dat

ssjup81
03-31-2017, 08:58 PM
The episodes are only 10 minutes long, seems pointless to skip. Marceline's extensive arc was pretty cool & some Finn stuff is tied into it.True. lol But for those who are anxious those eps are particularly interesting...and the feels... ^^

LeotheLateBloomer
03-31-2017, 09:48 PM
It's a decent show, but I'm more baffled that CN keeps greenlighting new shows and paying for them to be produced...just to kill them off almost immediately. What a collossal waste of time and money. I bet all the writers/directors and voice actors are pissed this keeps happening.

Come to think of it, I think Brave and the Bold was the last DC cartoon that got a full run. Every other show since has been canceled prematurely.

CN is a very baffling company as of late. They keep renewing TTG of which I guess there's an audience for despite being universally panned, horribly not advertising Sonic Boom, a Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon of most things, though the series looks like it's on it's way out. I feel like every new action cartoon whether it's something like a DC superhero show or a Ben 10 remake (which IS underway) won't last long. Imagine if WB/DC owned TMNT, they'd probably wouldn't last as long as we want.

It's no wonder Disney XD got the airing rights to Pokemon. Which by the way, when are they going to air the Sun and Moon series besides those sneak peak previews of the first two episodes?

PApagreg
03-31-2017, 09:57 PM

You should check out Toonzone on Saturday nights, its very lively.

Wildcat
03-31-2017, 10:46 PM
Something that post doesn't mention is that they are removing some cartoons from Boomerang and making them exclusive to a new Boomerang streaming service. ($5 a month) http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/boomerang-cartoon-streaming-subscription-time-warner-turner-wb-1202003660/

Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Wacky Races and old Hanna Barbera toons. This includes the newest versions of those franchises.

Now I'm sure everyone here knows I'm the like least cynical person when it comes to movies/TV ;) . However this really ticks me off. Because it makes absolutely no sense.

How much they expect to make from a very niche streaming service like this is beyond me. It just seems like a real @$$ move to strip Boomerang and make you pay for whats been on TV for literally decades.

It'd be like Nick suddenly making Spongebob or TMNT exclusive to some extremely specific pay service. There's no way I'd pay $5 a month to see what I've always had through my TV provider.

I could understand if it was Netflix or Amazon. Those are on a totally different scale. This Boomerang thing is only based on Hanna Barbera/WB content.

ssjup81
04-01-2017, 12:14 AM
CN is a very baffling company as of late. They keep renewing TTG of which I guess there's an audience for despite being universally panned, horribly not advertising Sonic Boom, a Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon of most things, though the series looks like it's on it's way out. I feel like every new action cartoon whether it's something like a DC superhero show or a Ben 10 remake (which IS underway) won't last long. Imagine if WB/DC owned TMNT, they'd probably wouldn't last as long as we want.

It's no wonder Disney XD got the airing rights to Pokemon. Which by the way, when are they going to air the Sun and Moon series besides those sneak peak previews of the first two episodes?I actually like Sonic Boom. I like the ironic, dry-witted humor and the jabs at Sega and the fans. One line by Sonic I liked was, "It's nice having a fan that doesn't criticize everything you do." Good jab at real Sonic fans that complain all the damn time. I also liked that ep where Cubot randomly brought up the Konami code to get out of a trap. Seriously, it was like, any suggestions since I'm out of ideas to escape and that was his response. lol

I love the throwbacks. They even had a blast processing joke. Sonic Boom, imo, is great. Would suck to see it go. Season 2 has been fun so far.

CyberCubed
04-01-2017, 12:17 AM
This is why I find it baffling when people say the WB or Disney should have bought TMNT. You guys want short-lived TMNT cartoons?

We're lucky the Nick TMNT show lasted 124 episodes, the 4kids series lasted 156 episodes, and the Fred Wolf cartoon lasted 193 episodes. Look at how all these other action cartoons keep getting canned early.

Goddamn we TMNT fans lucked out. Three cartoons in a row with over 100 episodes. Nobody else can say this.

Allio
04-01-2017, 12:42 AM
man, toonzone.

I remember when Wulin Warriors aired.

God, that show sucked. I remember when taiwan fans came to the site to show their disdain for what happened to the amazing drama that was turned into a gag.

Ninjinister
04-01-2017, 12:43 AM
I want Infinity Train.

Spike Spiegel
04-01-2017, 02:42 AM
It's all being phased out for Hanna-Barbera tier (maybe even lower) material. Very cheap and easy to animate, with quickly written plots that have a definite focus on kids as the audience.

Maybe the American animation industry is regressing back to the '70s...?

ZariusTwo
04-01-2017, 04:25 AM
Yeah, not looking good for JL Action...

https://twitter.com/jim_krieg/status/847818028628590597

CyberCubed
04-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Goodbye, sweet prince.

I think WB should stop pitching its cartoons to CN. It's gotten ridiculous now.

drgon78
04-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Nick is getting almost as bad as CN. Eventually all the good cartoons will be on Netflix and online in general.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Yeah, not looking good for JL Action...

https://twitter.com/jim_krieg/status/847818028628590597

Didn't this start airing only four months ago? Good grief!

Autbot_Benz
04-01-2017, 12:13 PM
Why does Cartoon Network have such a hate for DC Cartoons?

CyberCubed
04-01-2017, 01:35 PM
What's weird is that Justice League Action was created to be what CN wanted. An action/comedy show made for a younger audience. And they cancel that too!

As I said, I think the last DC cartoon to get a full run was Brave and the Bold, and that's only because it debuted way back in 2008 when CN is less retarded than it is now.

Leofan26
04-02-2017, 02:28 AM
Nick is getting almost as bad as CN. Eventually all the good cartoons will be on Netflix and online in general.

Maybe it's for the better with the way they treat none Teen Titan Go series, I hate that show with passion :x

LeotheLateBloomer
04-02-2017, 08:24 AM
I actually like Sonic Boom. I like the ironic, dry-witted humor and the jabs at Sega and the fans. One line by Sonic I liked was, "It's nice having a fan that doesn't criticize everything you do." Good jab at real Sonic fans that complain all the damn time. I also liked that ep where Cubot randomly brought up the Konami code to get out of a trap. Seriously, it was like, any suggestions since I'm out of ideas to escape and that was his response. lol

I love the throwbacks. They even had a blast processing joke. Sonic Boom, imo, is great. Would suck to see it go. Season 2 has been fun so far.

This 100%. I enjoy it more than most Sonic cartoons. They recently made jokes on "blue arms" and "a videogame failing to make the jump into 3D.":lol:

snake
04-02-2017, 08:34 AM
man, toonzone.

I remember when Wulin Warriors aired.

God, that show sucked. I remember when taiwan fans came to the site to show their disdain for what happened to the amazing drama that was turned into a gag.

WEHW-LIN
WEHW-LIN
WOOLIN WARRIUHS

Pretty sure that's one of the worst themes I've ever heard.