PDA

View Full Version : How good is your memory?

Prowler
04-01-2017, 05:25 PM
A lot of people seem to complain about having a bad memory. I've wondered about mine at times, though. It's weird since sometimes I can remember the most random and pointless things and then forget something important. A lot of times I wonder if that isn't a consequence of selective memory, even if I don't necessarily seem to think "yeah wtv".

My memory is great for names and faces. It takes me time to memorise people's names but once I get them in my brain they stay there forever. It's like I could meet someone I haven't seen in over a decade tomorrow, and whom I've only talked like twice, and still remember their name.

On he other hand, I'm terrible with numbers... it took me a few years to memorise my cellphone number. Granted I didn't use it much during HS, mostly using it to call home or my parents, but still a bit embarrassing/weird.

Whenever I go to the supermarket to do a large amount of grocery shopping I always forget one item or two.. but ofc I'm too lazy to write a checklist.

I cant' help but notice my memory has gotten worse for some things but better for others. When I was a kid/teenager, it was harder for me to study, but as an adult I don't need to study as much for an exam as I had to when I was younger. But on the other hand, I've been having more trouble remembering which players played for certain teams and what scores of games that happened years ago were and which teams won certain competitions.

Sometimes I wish I could automatically erase my memories of certain games and movies I've played/watched when I was a kid in order to fully enjoy the experience again. Ofc I don't remember every detail but I always remember the important parts.

What about you? How's your memory?

Powder
04-01-2017, 06:03 PM
How's your memory?

Not sure, I can't remember.

CyberCubed
04-01-2017, 06:06 PM
I have an almost picture perfect memory. I can literally remember things that happened to me when I was a kid or teen in school like it was just recently. Hell I feel like the year 2005 was just yesterday or something.

I also noticed that I have an extensive knowledge of things that happens in all the various shows, cartoons, movies or videogames I watch or play. Like I can remember episodes of shows I have not watched in a decade or more, or remember obscure details in videogames most people would completely forget about.

Prowler
04-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Heh, that one never gets old.

I have an almost picture perfect memory. I can literally remember things that happened to me when I was a kid or teen in school like it was just recently. Hell I feel like the year 2005 was just yesterday or something.

I also noticed that I have an extensive knowledge of things that happens in all the various shows, cartoons, movies or videogames I watch or play. Like I can remember episodes of shows I have not watched in a decade or more, or remember obscure details in videogames most people would completely forget about.
I remember mostly what I've been doing each year of my life except for the years pre-1995.

I can relate to you about remembering movies, cartoons and games I liked quite well as well.

CyberCubed
04-01-2017, 06:21 PM
I can remember things when I was only 5 years old. Are you saying you don't remember what you did with your parents?

I remember when I got my first TMNT toy (the original '88 Playmates Raphael figure), and the first Batman figure from the 1989 movie.

Prowler
04-01-2017, 06:23 PM
I can remember things when I was only 5 years old. Are you saying you don't remember what you did with your parents?

I remember when I got my first TMNT toy (the original '88 Playmates Raphael figure), and the first Batman figure from the 1989 movie.
Huh my earliest memory in life is like from... 1994? Me playing SNES Star Fox right next to my brother and dying in Corneria before reaching the boss. I was like 3-4 years odl at the time. Cannot remember anything before that. My memories from 1995-1996, before I got in 1st grade(September 1996) are very very vague.

CyberCubed
04-01-2017, 06:24 PM
I remember when I was in Kindergarten I was holding a girls hand and she accidentally walked into a tree and I got blamed for it. What the hell, I was like 5-6 years old.

Prowler
04-01-2017, 06:30 PM
I remember when I was in Kindergarten I was holding a girls hand and she accidentally walked into a tree and I got blamed for it. What the hell, I was like 5-6 years old.
I only spent about a few weeks at the Kindergarten. I mean I went to a kindergarten when I was a very little kid(which I have zero memories from), but then left it for some reason and my family signed me up for another one when I was about 4. I didn't like it much. I found it boring and pointless and just wanted to stay home playing with my toys and on my brother's NES and SNES while he was away at school. Since my maternal grandmother lived with us there was an adult at home to look after me while everyone else was away.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-01-2017, 07:07 PM
I have a mind like a steel trap when it comes to remembering particular situations (who did what, when/where it happened, etc.). Faces too - I can recognize you by the back of your head. Names and numbers are another story.

My earliest memory is being 3-4 years old, awake at 5 in the morning, listening to a chirping cricket that got into the house somehow.

CyberCubed
04-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Come to think of it I also remember things I said or did on forums from decades ago, like even the early 2000's. You can literally retrace my whole life on the 10-15+ different online forums I've been on over the last 17 years.

MikeandRaph87
04-01-2017, 07:14 PM
I have a decent photographic memory. I can remember details of who,what, the exact dates,even thoughts of the time. My weak spot is I forget about items as it I put something down and forget to pick it back up.

Prowler
04-01-2017, 07:16 PM
I have a decent photographic memory. I can remember details of who,what, the exact dates,even thoughts of the time. My weak spot is I forget about items as it I put something down and forget to pick it back up.
Oh man I've been gettign worse in that regard lately. I put down my wallet or my keys for a moment and then... forget where I put them and thus take more 5-10 minutes to leave the house. I've gotten late to appointments and classes thanks to that. :tgrumble:

ToTheNines
04-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Mine is good. I remember stuff from when I was barely 2, which is funny because my sister had trouble remembering stuff before age 8 or 9, so she barely recalls us living in Illinois.

I'm crazy good at names. I remember random stranger's names from years ago. I used to have to remember 4-8 guest's names at a time working at the rafting/zipline place, often times they were from different countries. But I always had everyone down before the end of the trip.

I'm bad at every day life logistics though. Lost my wallet twice in 2015, I'm all the time forgetting to pack all of my toiletries, etc.

Prowler
04-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Come to think of it I also remember things I said or did on forums from decades ago, like even the early 2000's. You can literally retrace my whole life on the 10-15+ different online forums I've been on over the last 17 years.
Yeah. And when I run across an old post of mine here(back from 2009-2010) I can't help but notice I "sounded" different back then and much more na´ve and immature. 18-19 is really young when you think about it.

CyberCubed
04-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Yeah. And when I run across an old post of mine here(back from 2009-2010) I can't help but notice I "sounded" different back then and much more na´ve and immature. 18-19 is really young when you think about it.

I have posts on IGN from when I was like 14 years old, lol.

Prowler
04-01-2017, 09:30 PM
I have posts on IGN from when I was like 14 years old, lol.
So do I since my original account is from 2004 but I was never a super active user.

Of all the forums I've been to, this is the one I've remained on the longest. I signed up for Myanimelist in 2008 but I never use the forums since they suck.

DestronMirage22
04-02-2017, 12:32 AM
It ranges from decent to horrible. I only really have a hard time remembering things I didn't care about or wasn't really paying attention to.

Mayhem
04-02-2017, 03:20 AM
My memory is horribly unpredictable. Long term appears to be incredible, I can recall facts and figures and information from hobbies done while growing up (you'll have a hard time beating me on videogames, films and music from the 80s for example!). If it stays, it stays in there, I'm very good for quizzes heh. Faces and names I'm very good with too, however they seem to be in two databases that don't always talk to each other :lol:

Short term memory, that's another thing. I often have to make lists to get things done because I'll forget stuff I want to do tonight. Or what I had to eat the previous day. I guess my memory does so high prioritising of what's important and throws out the unimportant stuff!

Wesley
04-02-2017, 12:03 PM

I can remember most things from 1994 onwards, though I think the fact that 2007 was 10 years ago seems right to me. I also noticed that I tend to remember episodes of shows I have not watched in years if I really liked them. I'm not good at remembering strangers' names or stuff I don't have much interest in.

Dust
04-02-2017, 12:31 PM
What was the question?

myconius
04-11-2017, 06:46 PM

^ perfect answer!! :lol:

Cure
04-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Pretty good, I think.

ranger_scout
04-11-2017, 10:01 PM
I think I have an excellent memory. I can even remember days when I was in pre-school and conversations from a very long time ago.