PDA

View Full Version : How Is It Best to Utilize The Punk Frogs?

MikeandRaph87
04-02-2017, 02:50 PM
The Punk Frogs as a collective unit of four appeared only twice and had four other episodes which two appeared, mainly Genghis and Napoleon. They also got a shout out in the anime two parter. They have always been my favorite allies because of their concept as a Turtle Team B. At least that is what they appeared to be to me. I always wanted to see a scenario where they had to step in the TMNT's place without resorting to fan fiction. I admit some of their concept like Bebop and Rocksteady is outdated as they had reference in name to the late 70s and 80s Punk movement that has long since ended. I didn't care much for the mutant frog colony that Nick presented in the single episode. The reason is there were so many of them. If there were four of them,equal in number to the Turtles it would fit their concept better. I have nothing against the way Napoleon was portrayed in The Croaking,but would rather see more of an equal screen time for Genghis, Rasputin, and Attila. How could the other fab four work in the future?

neatoman
04-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Being mutants, it might mess up the flavor but I'm sure there's a BBQ sauce good enough...

http://movingtocambodia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/frog_1.jpg

Prowler
04-02-2017, 02:56 PM
The problem with the Punk Frogs is that, unlike the Turtles, they didn't have distinguishing personalities. They all acted the same. They were just a bunch of na´ve mutants with stereotypical southern accents. Also, the Turtles had been training with Splinter for years whilst it took Shredder only what, a week to train the Punk Frogs? Felt a bit forced.

MikeandRaph87
04-02-2017, 03:07 PM
The problem with the Punk Frogs is that, unlike the Turtles, they didn't have distinguishing personalities. They all acted the same. They were just a bunch of na´ve mutants with stereotypical southern accents. Also, the Turtles had been training with Splinter for years whilst it took Shredder only what, a week to train the Punk Frogs? Felt a bit forced.

One thing I thought of was giving each Turtle an analog with a Frog. Napoleon could be similar in personality to Michelangelo while Genghis could be similar to Leonardo. Attila could be Raphael's analog while it would be a stretch at the moment but can be adapted to work, Rasputin be the Donatello analog. It could be a template to start from and expand upon. We already see those traits in incarnations already that would make Napoleon the Michelangelo of the group as well as Genghis the Leonardo of the Frogs.

I do agree that the training within days expecting them to match the years of the Turtles training is too much of a stretch to let slip in the 'hey,we have to make it work for the sake of the episode's plot' concept.

neatoman
04-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Or maybe deep fried...
http://img.sndimg.com/food/image/upload/w_555,h_416,c_fit,fl_progressive,q_95/v1/img/recipes/37/36/81/picXJqO53.jpg

Prowler
04-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Frog legs are eaten in some parts of my country, but cant' say I've ever tried them. I wonder if they're any good...

MikeandRaph87
04-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Come on Neatoman, I am looking for some serious contributions to this subject.

What of my idea of the Punk Frogs each reflecting a different Turtle? It would give the Turtles more individual stronger friends within the group the way that Casey Jones is with Raphael or Mondo Gecko is with Michelangelo.

Prowler
04-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Come on Neatoman, I am looking for some serious contributions to this subject.

What of my idea of the Punk Frogs each reflecting a different Turtle? It would give the Turtles more individual stronger friends within the group the way that Casey Jones is with Raphael or Mondo Gecko is with Michelangelo.
But then you'd have just another Turtle team... except they'd be frogs.

CyberCubed
04-02-2017, 03:19 PM
People eat Frogs? Maybe in third world countries like they eat monkey brains.

Prowler
04-02-2017, 03:20 PM
People eat Frogs? Maybe in third world countries like they eat monkey brains.
Yeas, they'e eaten in several European countries such as Portugal, France and Slovenia. We also eat snails here as do the French and the Greeks. Are you grossed out yet, dude?

CyberCubed
04-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Yeas, they'e eaten in several European countries such as Portugal, France and Slovenia. We also eat snails here as do the French and the Greeks. Are you grossed out yet, dude?

That's some disgusting stuff, I don't know why people would want to eat filthy animals or bugs.

Prowler
04-02-2017, 03:24 PM
That's some disgusting stuff, I don't know why people would want to eat filthy animals or bugs.
Frogs are filthy?

Snails aren't really filthy. They go through some sort of period where they let their possible bacteria die. It's not like people pick them up and eat them.

I wouldn't eat spiders or roaches, personally, but I think no oen in Europe eats that.

I wouldn't eat a dog or a cat either but if the Chinese and Koreans want to eat them then good for them. Can't be too different from eating a cow or a pig... and did you know Jews and Arabs don't eat pork and many Indians don't eat cows? They probably think you're a barbarian too!

CyberCubed
04-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Eating filthy animals like that makes me sick to my stomach. Like why would anyone say, "I want to eat frog's legs?"

Maybe it's because I live in America but anything outside the usual of chicken, beef, fish, pig, etc...just sounds sick to me.

Prowler
04-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Eating filthy animals like that makes me sick to my stomach. Like why would anyone say, "I want to eat frog's legs?"

Maybe it's because I live in America but anything outside the usual of chicken, beef, fish, pig, etc...just sounds sick to me.
Frogs aren't really filthy tho. It's not like people are eating the poisonous kinds.

Horse meat used to be eaten here some decades ago. That sounds interesting.

In Norway I had whale. Tasted like cheap tuna which is odd since whales aren't fish. I also tried reindeer and moose meat.

How do you feel about duck and rabbit meat? Rabbit is fairly popular in my country. Well it's not something most people eat everyday but at times they will eat it. I don't like it much, though. Too many bones. As for duck it's nice but not very filling and it's quite expensive.

neatoman
04-02-2017, 03:43 PM
I've eaten kangaroo from an Australian food truck, oddly enough I thought it tasted like crayfish. Swedish style crayfish, not American style.

Frogs aren't really filthy tho. It's not like people are eating the poisonous kinds.

Horse meat used to be eaten here some decades ago. That sounds interesting.

In Norway I had whale. Tasted like cheap tuna which is odd since whales aren't fish. I also tried reindeer and moose meat.

How do you feel about duck and rabbit meat? Rabbit is fairly popular in my country. Well it's not something most people eat everyday but at times they will eat it. I don't like it much, though. Too many bones. As for duck it's nice but not very filling and it's quite expensive.

Duck is good, horse is like really good cow and I love reindeer and moose. I also ate Zebra from that food truck, tastes pretty much the same as horse. Haven't tried rabbit or whale though.

CyberCubed
04-02-2017, 03:48 PM
I can't believe you guys enjoy eating filthy exotic animals. We're not savages anymore that live in the wilds like cavemen, there's no reason modern humans should eat this stuff.

Prowler
04-02-2017, 03:49 PM
I've eaten kangaroo from an Australian food truck, oddly enough I thought it tasted like crayfish. Swedish style crayfish, not American style.

Duck is good, horse is like really good cow and I love reindeer and moose. I also ate Zebra from that food truck, tastes pretty much the same as horse. Haven't tried rabbit or whale though.
There used to be an Australian restaurant back in the 90s here which opened during the world fair(Lisbon got it in 1998). never ate there but the menu had crocodile and kangaroo meat iirc.

As for duck, I always ate Beijing Duck whenever I'd go to a Chinese restaurant.

Whale? Well other than Norway and Japan where else is it legal to sell that meat?

neatoman
04-02-2017, 03:56 PM
I can't believe you guys enjoy eating filthy exotic animals. We're not savages anymore that live in the wilds like cavemen, there's no reason modern humans should eat this stuff.

Cow, pig, fish and chicken can get rather boring, haven't you at least had shrimp or clam?

There used to be an Australian restaurant back in the 90s here which opened during the world fair(Lisbon got it in 1998). never ate there but the menu had crocodile and kangaroo meat iirc.

As for duck, I always ate Beijing Duck whenever I'd go to a Chinese restaurant.

Whale? Well other than Norway and Japan where else is it legal to sell that meat?

Whale meat? I think it's legal in Iceland, they have shark too. Haven't really eaten that but I hear it's similar to surstr÷mming, which I have eaten many times.

MikeandRaph87
04-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Can you all please stay on topic? 8) Yes, some people only eat a certain number of meat while others are region specific with a country or specific to a country or two. Now about how to improve upon The Punk Frogs...

Prowler
04-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Zebra, moose and whale are "filthy"? Since when? :lol:

Cow, pig, fish and chicken can get rather boring, haven't you at least had shrimp or clam?

Whale meat? I think it's legal in Iceland, they have shark too. Haven't really eaten that but I hear it's similar to surstr÷mming, which I have eaten many times.
I'm not really adventurous with food and was a very picky eater when I was a kid. I usually stick to familiar stuff. Ofc when I went to other countries I tried some local stuff but that's it. I only have whale, moose and snails like once in my whole life.

neatoman
04-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Can you all please stay on topic? 8) Yes, some people only eat a certain number of meat while others are region specific with a country or specific to a country or two. Now about how to improve upon The Punk Frogs...

F#ck 'em, they're an inherently bad idea and it's better to forget about them than to pretend anything interesting can some out of them. It's a far more productive discussion to talk about diversity in the meat dishes.

Zebra, moose and whale are "filthy"? Since when? :lol:

I'm not really adventurous with food and was a very picky eater when I was a kid. I usually stick to familiar stuff. Ofc when I went to other countries I tried some local stuff but that's it. I only have whale, moose and snails like once in my whole life.

I tried snails once, kinda like squid but with more parts in them.

Prowler
04-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Eh I already said pretty much everything I had to say about them. :tlol:

F#ck 'em, they're an inherently bad idea and it's better to forget about them than to pretend anything interesting can some out of them. It's a far more productive discussion to talk about diversity in the meat dishes.

I tried snails once, kinda like squid but with more parts in them.
I don't remember much but I liked them. The snails we eat here are small tho and not those big escargot ones the French eat.

Squid is OK but I much prefer octopus. The only Portuguese dish I eat on a regular basis is Polvo Ó Lagareiro. Google it. **** is good.

ProphetofGanja
04-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Ooooh, I love octopus! I think I prefer squid though, personally. In its own ink sauce? Freaking delicious.

I love duck, rabbit, venison, all that gamey meat. Bison is good too.

I don't think I've ever had frog legs. I had alligator a couple times though. There's an inherent spiciness to it, almost

Prowler
04-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Ooooh, I love octopus! I think I prefer squid though, personally. In its own ink sauce? Freaking delicious.

I love duck, rabbit, venison, all that gamey meat. Bison is good too.

I don't think I've ever had frog legs. I had alligator a couple times though. There's an inherent spiciness to it, almost
I don't like spicy food. Always had bad experiences with it. hate having my tongue on fire.

Ulisa
04-02-2017, 04:32 PM
I think the best thing with the Punk Frogs is to give them personalities. As previously said, they really don't have distinguishing characteristics. While I liked them, the only thing I remember about them when I was a kid was that one of them had exploding arrows. Literally, that was it.

There's potential there though. With a four-on-four dynamic, you could play around with similar/dissimilar traits to their turtle counterparts. Though, I think a better approach would to not necessarily "pair" them with any particular turtle opposite but to develop different traits for each of them. I've found in the past that if you develop good characters, storylines tend to write themselves so I think that would need to be a starting point for the frogs in the future.

MikeandRaph87
04-02-2017, 04:40 PM
I think the best thing with the Punk Frogs is to give them personalities. As previously said, they really don't have distinguishing characteristics. While I liked them, the only thing I remember about them when I was a kid was that one of them had exploding arrows. Literally, that was it.

There's potential there though. With a four-on-four dynamic, you could play around with similar/dissimilar traits to their turtle counterparts. Though, I think a better approach would to not necessarily "pair" them with any particular turtle opposite but to develop different traits for each of them. I've found in the past that if you develop good characters, storylines tend to write themselves so I think that would need to be a starting point for the frogs in the future.

I see what you mean,like Hob's characterization, Slash's bond with both Slash and Mike and you bring in Agent Bishop and knowing who he is from other versions it writes itself.

So instead of the Mike Frog, the Leo Frog,etc. give them individual personalities,but not try to connect them to different Turtles. What personalities do you see from what is presented from what little they have appeared in?

CyberCubed
04-02-2017, 04:43 PM
The only other way I can see them used is if Bishop controls 4 Frogs and uses them against the Turtles.

ProphetofGanja
04-02-2017, 04:52 PM
Nah, I say just leave em be in the past where they belong. They're a one-note joke

Ulisa
04-02-2017, 04:58 PM
I see what you mean,like Hob's characterization, Slash's bond with both Slash and Mike and you bring in Agent Bishop and knowing who he is from other versions it writes itself.

So instead of the Mike Frog, the Leo Frog,etc. give them individual personalities,but not try to connect them to different Turtles. What personalities do you see from what is presented from what little they have appeared in?

The few personality traits that I could pull from the few episodes they were in (and honestly, these are probably greatly influenced by my interpretation of small details) were:

Rasputin definitely seemed the most intelligent (of the group) and if I was going to give the group a leader, it would be Rasputin.

Genghis seemed the most na´ve about the world in general.

Napoleon the most trusting.

Attila maybe physically the strongest as his weapon requires the most strength to wield?

MikeandRaph87
04-02-2017, 05:10 PM
The few personality traits that I could pull from the few episodes they were in (and honestly, these are probably greatly influenced by my interpretation of small details) were:

Rasputin definitely seemed the most intelligent (of the group) and if I was going to give the group a leader, it would be Rasputin.

Genghis seemed the most na´ve about the world in general.

Napoleon the most trusting.

Attila maybe physically the strongest as his weapon requires the most strength to wield?

Switch around the leader,huh? Genghis was the leader of the group when depicted in the 1987 cartoon. Then in the 2012 cartoon we see Attila as the leader of a tribe of mutant frogs. Rasputin has not had a turn yet. So since different incarnations had different leaders why not?

Perhaps with Napoleon, he could be the one interested in making friends outside of his group. That would be a way for the Turtles to see past the Punk Frogs as an enemy if they start off as adversaries.

Thanks for your thoughts. Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who enjoyed them above nearly every friend the TMNT ever had. Such little put into them yet such a concept waiting to be fleshed out.

FredWolfLeonardo
04-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Perhaps the punk frogs could've been part of the Mighty Mutanimals, who never appeared in the 87 toon. I could see the 87 punk frogs, Mondo Gecko, Mona Lisa and even Usagi being a part of the MMs if there was one made for the OT.

CyberCubed
04-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Nah, I say just leave em be in the past where they belong. They're a one-note joke

IDW is introducing the Toad Baron with a lot of frog followers, it's not too out of the question the Punk Frogs could be introduced.

Utrommaniac
04-02-2017, 06:42 PM
I'd change Rasputin's name first...it's a massive break in the naming trend. Rasputin was neither a conqueror, nor a military leader, so why was he included as a namesake?
Napoleon, Ghengis, Atillia, and Alexander is what I would go for.

Panda_Kahn_fan
04-02-2017, 07:33 PM
The punk frogs do work as a dark mirror to the turtles, I usually make them a bit more extreme in personality, so that it creates a parallel, and the two teams aren't always on good terms. Usually, I make Genghis the cautious leader, Attila the smart tactician/aide, Napoleon as the angry brute-strength tank, And Rasputin the snarky smart-aleck (to darkly parallel Mikey's party attitude) Use whatever characters you see value in, and do something interesting with them! :)

MsMarvelDuckie
04-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Hmm. A good question. Personally I'd like to see them with different traits from the turtles entirely. A bit more peaceful and shy, but still capable fighters when need be. The Southern accent fits well. (And could someone PLEASE tell Cubed that Cajun cooking is a thing? Honestly frog legs, crawfish, and gator tail are STAPLES in Southern Cajun cuisine!!) But I would also maybe give them a few interests similar to the turtles as well, for common ground as allies.

As for the naming thing, Rasputin wasn't a conquorer per se, but historically he was rumored to be the power BEHIND the throne of the Czar at that time, and was supposed to be heavily into both occult practices and politics in spite of being the family physician, hence "the Mad" in Rasputin the frog's name. Shredder had some pretty twisted role models apparently....

Andrew NDB
04-02-2017, 09:01 PM
The best way to utilize the punk frogs... is by not utilizing the punk frogs.

At best, vaguely frog-like aliens on some planet.

pferreira
04-06-2017, 09:03 AM
I've eaten kangaroo from an Australian food truck, I'm sure Skippy is proud.

At best, vaguely frog-like aliens on some planet.Kind of defeats the whole purpose of using them.

Come on Neatoman, I am looking for some serious contributions to this subject.You expecting serious contribution from him regarding the FW show?! :lol:

F#ck 'em, they're an inherently bad idea and it's better to forget about them than to pretend anything interesting can some out of them.Good for you, anyway getting back to the topic...

The Punk Frogs were terrific in their first appearance but I don't think the writers did enough to make them central to the plots. In their later appearances they were sort of tagged on. I do agree they needed more to tell them apart in personality. Great, great execution of idea but not developed over the course of the show.

neatoman
04-06-2017, 11:46 AM
How about them being mistaken for the Turtles killed by their enemies? Perfect opportunity to fake their deaths.

Utrommaniac
04-06-2017, 12:05 PM
They'd have to be some pretty dumb enemies to not be able to tell the frogs from turtles. Even Bebop and Rocksteady at their very dumbest could tell them apart.

neatoman
04-06-2017, 12:16 PM
They'd have to be some pretty dumb enemies to not be able to tell the frogs from turtles. Even Bebop and Rocksteady at their very dumbest could tell them apart.

That Purple Dragon from the first episode of the 4Kids show thought they were frogs and Spider-Bytez thought they were frogs. So yes, they have been mistaken for frogs.

Andrew NDB
04-06-2017, 12:18 PM
That Purple Dragon from the first episode of the 4Kids show thought they were frogs and Spider-Bytez thought they were frogs. So yes, they have been mistaken for frogs.

Even Donatello himself forgot he wasn't a frog in like the first or second episode of Fred Wolf.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Punk Frogs, as cool as those original action figures are (LOVE that Napoleon Bonafrog toy), were pretty forgettable characters.

I mean, come on. The TOYS had more personality than the characters in the cartoon, and they only ever made half the roster. :trolleye:

There's not really a good way to introduce four new mutants who all happen to be frogs, especially considering Sally Ride and Ray Fillet have been in IDW since the Mutanimals mini-series published two years ago and are only now getting character development.

Plus, IDW is once again getting to the point of too many mutants. So no. No Punk Frogs.

neatoman
04-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Even Donatello himself forgot he wasn't a frog in like the first or second episode of Fred Wolf.

There's also a scene in the third movie where one of the Turtles (I think Mikey) said he swallowed a frog and hoped it wasn't an ancestor.

CyberCubed
04-06-2017, 12:26 PM
You guys realize those are jokes, right?

ProphetofGanja
04-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Punk Frogs, as cool as those original action figures are (LOVE that Napoleon Bonafrog toy), were pretty forgettable characters.

I mean, come on. The TOYS had more personality than the characters in the cartoon, and they only ever made half the roster. :trolleye:

There's not really a good way to introduce four new mutants who all happen to be frogs, especially considering Sally Ride and Ray Fillet have been in IDW since the Mutanimals mini-series published two years ago and are only now getting character development.

Plus, IDW is once again getting to the point of too many mutants. So no. No Punk Frogs.

Well said.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Well said.

The Dark Turtles have more potential than the Punk Frogs, and the Dark Turtles are just a Saturday-morning-cartoon "evil twin" caricatures.

It could be done well, but you'd have to work really REALLY hard at it to avoid falling into tired tropes or cliches.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Actually that was Donatello who joked about swallowing the frog in TMNT III. Right after they sprung April from the dungeon and escaped through the drain chute.

I do think that something between the OT and Nick origins could work, if given distinct personalities as they were in Nick. Maybe they could even be on ipposing sides of a fight. Or they could pretend to be allies of the turtles while working as spies or traitors for one of their enemies. I liked their original OT creation but it needed to play on their naivite more and later have them realize they were being used and do a 180. I can see some really interesting plots regarding the nature of friendship and trust coming out of this.

neatoman
04-07-2017, 02:23 AM

Yeah but there's still characters mistaking them for frogs.

CyberCubed
04-07-2017, 03:50 AM
It's just jokes or insults. It's like when they call the Turtles "shell backs" or the Turtles call Shredder, "Shred Head."

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-07-2017, 05:21 PM
The problem with the Punk Frogs is that, unlike the Turtles, they didn't have distinguishing personalities.

They were still OK characters, without any need to explore their personalities deeper since they were only in a few episodes. Also, I don't care much for them appearing in other versions.

Andrew NDB
04-07-2017, 05:41 PM

Yes, I do realize those particular TMNT projects are mostly jokes.

Coola Yagami
04-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Wow.... you're a special kind of.... never mind. You have honestly NEVER heard of a French restaurant serving frog legs before? Really? This is beyond you possibly not leaving the house much. This is me wondering if you've ever gone to school. Ever.

Back on topic, I just think the frogs needed to be more bad ass too. They did even less fighting than the turtles did, and other than Rasputin's trick arrows, their weapons were mostly useless.

They needed more personality. Genghis was the leader, I guess. But the others were just there. They didn't really need a scientist type like Don, but maybe some of the others could have been a silly type, a smart ass type and an angry type.

Prowler
04-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Wow.... you're a special kind of.... never mind. You have honestly NEVER heard of a French restaurant serving frog legs before? Really? This is beyond you possibly not leaving the house much. This is me wondering if you've ever gone to school. Ever.

Back on topic, I just think the frogs needed to be more bad ass too. They did even less fighting than the turtles did, and other than Rasputin's trick arrows, their weapons were mostly useless.

They needed more personality. Genghis was the leader, I guess. But the others were just there. They didn't really need a scientist type like Don, but maybe some of the others could have been a silly type, a smart ass type and an angry type.
Didn't one of them carry an axe? That **** hurts, man.

Coola Yagami
04-08-2017, 06:02 PM
Didn't one of them carry an axe? That **** hurts, man.

Genghis I think but with them being so underused he barely got the chance to swing it at anything other than maybe a rope or something. Once.

Prowler
04-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Genghis I think but with them being so underused he barely got the chance to swing it at anything other than maybe a rope or something. Once.
Yeah I only recall Rasputin and his arrows. He had flashing arrows and also explosive ones iirc.

Coola Yagami
04-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Yeah I only recall Rasputin and his arrows. He had flashing arrows and also explosive ones iirc.

I think the other weapons were a mace and a whip. I seem to recall the whip being used as rope to latch onto things and whatnot but I really don't remember Napoleon even using his mace. Those episodes didn't give all that much for the frogs to do, fight wise. They needed shredder to send a bunch of disposable robots after them or something so we could actually see them smash stuff.

Prowler
04-08-2017, 06:24 PM
I think the other weapons were a mace and a whip. I seem to recall the whip being used as rope to latch onto things and whatnot but I really don't remember Napoleon even using his mace. Those episodes didn't give all that much for the frogs to do, fight wise. They needed shredder to send a bunch of disposable robots after them or something so we could actually see them smash stuff.
I think Attila was the least developed frog of the bunch. Napoleon had his own episode and Genghis visited the Turtles in that episode of the giant insects. Rasputin was known for his arrows. But Attila? What did he ever do?

Coola Yagami
04-08-2017, 06:28 PM
I think Attila was the least developed frog of the bunch. Napoleon had his own episode and Genghis visited the Turtles in that episode of the giant insects. Rasputin was known for his arrows. But Attila? What did he ever do?

Use his whip to pull the gang out of quicksand lol. All I can remember.

Prowler
04-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Use his whip to pull the gang out of quicksand lol. All I can remember.
Ah Leatherhead episode? I had forgotten that part. Attila also used the whip in the first episode when Shredder asked them to prove to bebop and Rocksteady that they were capable fighters. I can't blame Bebop and Rocksteady for doubting their talents though... I mean Splinter trained the Turtles for years while Shredder trained the Punk Frogs for like what... a week?

Coola Yagami
04-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Ah Leatherhead episode? I had forgotten that part. Attila also used the whip in the first episode when Shredder asked them to prove to bebop and Rocksteady that they were capable fighters. I can't blame Bebop and Rocksteady for doubting their talents though... I mean Splinter trained the Turtles for years while Shredder trained the Punk Frogs for like what... a week?

I think even Bebop and Rocksteady said something like 'geez idk boss, the turtles will mop the floor with these wimps'.

Prowler
04-08-2017, 07:04 PM
I think even Bebop and Rocksteady said something like 'geez idk boss, the turtles will mop the floor with these wimps'.
Yep they pretty much said that. Bebop said before that "Boss the Turtles are highly skilled ninjas" or wtv.

Venom
04-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Many, many Americans eat frog. Folks go frog gigging to catch them, then clean them, de-leg them and prepare the frog legs. Most times they're battered and fried like most sea foods here in the southern US.

CyberCubed
04-09-2017, 07:41 PM
The Punk Frogs did have some interesting weapons, with them having an axe, a lasso/whip, a bow with exploding arrows, etc.

Seeing them use weapons like that but also being able to leap into the air and off the walls like frogs...they'd actually be formidable enemies if written well.

tmntfannumerouno
04-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Don't knock it till you try it. I bet you don't eat rabbit either?:lol:
Anyway frog legs are great, taste like fish.

Prowler
04-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Don't knock it till you try it. I bet you don't eat rabbit either?:lol:
Anyway frog legs are great, taste like fish.
Ha really? Can't say I expected that since frogs are not even fish. But oh well whale tastes like tuna and it's not a fish either.

CyberCubed
04-10-2017, 09:53 PM
I don't eat rabbit either, no. Definitely would never in a million years touch frog legs, I have some dignity.

Just because humans can eat every animal in the world doesn't mean we should. You guys want to eat monkey brains too? Because you can eat that as well...I sure as hell ain't eating the actual brain of another animal. :lol:

tmntfannumerouno
04-10-2017, 10:06 PM
I don't eat rabbit either, no. Definitely would never in a million years touch frog legs, I have some dignity.

Just because humans can eat every animal in the world doesn't mean we should. You guys want to eat monkey brains too? Because you can eat that as well...I sure as hell ain't eating the actual brain of another animal. :lol:

What exactly is so undignified about eating frog legs?

And no I wouldn't eat monkey sesos that's just weird.:teek:

neatoman
04-11-2017, 03:44 AM

I haven't eaten brain but I have eaten the spinal cord of chicken, I expect the brain to taste similarly.

On topic of the Punk Frogs, how about turning them into clothing instead of eating them?
HeN8saLI1IE

Panda_Kahn_fan
04-11-2017, 10:08 AM
See, here's the thing I don't get; the four original frogs make for a more interesting set of evil anti-turtle counterparts; raised and trained by an evil master, carrying the names of three conquerors and an unsavory individual, who use martial arts to combat the turtles. And yet, the OT treated them like doofuses, and other incarnations mostly ignored them. They could be what the dark turtles were, and more interesting; it's not four clones of the original guys, but four 'this is what you could've been if Shredder raised you instead of splinter' enemies for the TMNT to fight.

Yet everybody hates them because they came from the OT and acted dumb there and nobody can see the potential.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-11-2017, 10:38 AM
See, here's the thing I don't get; the four original frogs make for a more interesting set of evil anti-turtle counterparts; raised and trained by an evil master, carrying the names of three conquerors and an unsavory individual, who use martial arts to combat the turtles. And yet, the OT treated them like doofuses, and other incarnations mostly ignored them. They could be what the dark turtles were, and more interesting; it's not four clones of the original guys, but four 'this is what you could've been if Shredder raised you instead of splinter' enemies for the TMNT to fight.

Yet everybody hates them because they came from the OT and acted dumb there and nobody can see the potential.

They COULD be done well. But there's no room for them in IDW (except maybe as henchfrogs of Toad Baron, which will be INO) and Nick certainly bungled their appearance. But then, Nick didn't do very well with most reimaging of characters...

Panda_Kahn_fan
04-11-2017, 10:44 AM
They COULD be done well. But there's no room for them in IDW (except maybe as henchfrogs of Toad Baron, which will be INO) and Nick certainly bungled their appearance. But then, Nick didn't do very well with most reimaging of characters...

You are quite correct, the frogs have been used as nothing but wasted potential. :(

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-11-2017, 10:48 AM
You are quite correct, the frogs have been used as nothing but wasted potential. :(

I have always--ALWAYS--said that there are no bad characters, just bad writers.

Punk Frogs, Ace Duck, Venus de Milo, Tokka and Rahzar...

They could ALL be excellent viable characters if written competently. That's one of my favorite things about IDW... seeing terrible characters get revamped and portrayed as legitimate characters that I can take seriously.

Well, as seriously as anybody can take two bungling henchmutants with musical gang names. :tlol:

CyberCubed
04-11-2017, 11:57 AM
I liked the Nick idea of the Frogs being a colony rather than just 4 Frogs. From the looks of things IDW is doing something similar with the Toad Baron having a lot of Frog followers.

I would not be surprised if 4 of those Frogs get mutated down the line somehow. Or maybe the Toad Baron can use mystical/magic power to create himself 4 Frog Warriors...and that would be IDW's version of the Punk Frogs.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-11-2017, 05:16 PM
That- actually makes sense. I am kind if curious who this Toad Baron is, as I have to wait until IDW puts out the trades of their TMNT books. So I'm a bit behind on the series.

ToTheNines
04-11-2017, 05:22 PM
That- actually makes sense. I am kind if curious who this Toad Baron is, as I have to wait until IDW puts out the trades of their TMNT books. So I'm a bit behind on the series.

Just a heads up, Toad Baron will be in volume 2 of TMNT Universe. No release date yet though.

CyberCubed
04-11-2017, 05:35 PM
On that note, I still have no idea what the difference between a frog and a toad are. Aren't they like the same thing? Why do we have two different names for them?

MsMarvelDuckie
04-11-2017, 05:44 PM
The main difference is their skin. Toads have thicker, rougher, drier and more "warty" skin because they live in drier environments while frogs tend to stay closrr to water. Both grow from tadpoles but toads can burrow to keep from drying out while frogs generally need to spend time in water or in a wet sheltered spot to avoid dehydrating.

pferreira
04-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Yes, I do realize those particular TMNT projects are mostly jokes.Oh you...:lol:

Many, many Americans eat frog. Folks go frog gigging to catch them, then clean them, de-leg them and prepare the frog legs. Most times they're battered and fried like most sea foods here in the southern US.Why has this thread turned into a discussion about eating frogs? :o

The Punk Frogs did have some interesting weapons, with them having an axe, a lasso/whip, a bow with exploding arrows, etc.

Seeing them use weapons like that but also being able to leap into the air and off the walls like frogs...they'd actually be formidable enemies if written well.I really like their weapons but I agree on who's writing them.

On topic of the Punk Frogs, how about turning them into clothing instead of eating them?I think you're in the wrong part of the forum again aren't you? ;)

You are quite correct, the frogs have been used as nothing but wasted potential. :(Have to disagree there. Their first appearance was terrific stuff.

neatoman
04-13-2017, 09:13 AM
I think you're in the wrong part of the forum again aren't you? ;)

Maybe you should stop posting here for a few weeks to see if you can spend your time on something better than taking an entire week coming up with ineffective insults? Like visit a therapist maybe? Then again, Cylons and a few others here think you already see therapists on a daily basis, in that case you ought take their advice to heart, maybe then your internet access won't be so limited anymore.

pferreira
04-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Maybe you should stop posting here for a few weeks to see if you can spend your time on something better than taking an entire week coming up with ineffective insults? Like visit a therapist maybe? Then again, Cylons and a few others here think you already see therapists on a daily basis, in that case you ought take their advice to heart, maybe then your internet access won't be so limited anymore.Here's what's actually happening, since that thread is closed due to you guys I'll copy/paste what I was about to post. Enjoy guys:

pferreira is online?

Must be Thursday.Sorry I wasn't back by 10 mother. Honestly does it matter what day I post. Why not Thursday? Why not Friday? I choose Thursday because. :roll:

Like clockwork, only ever thursdays. Maybe that's the one time of the week when the Troll King lets him out of the cage?

I suspect that he is a permanent (or at least long-term) resident in a care facility and internet access is limited. Or possibly a correctional institute.

Toxic levels of Fred Wolf poisoning of the brain.

Another thought, could it be Gobo under a different name, come to visit us on his rec day in prison?I understand you guys are concerned and I'm sure a previous user here who provided more useful contributions than you guys loves being talked about behind his back.

You three really are the shining examples of this board: allowing people to have a different opinion on something they love while making sure they stick to the topic. You three are why people come to this site and love talking about aspects of fandom like the 80s cartoon without being ridiculed, why people love talking about stuff they like. As a token of this mental patient aka a Fred Wolf troll apologist I decided to not only report your posts but report you to admin as well. I couldn't think of nicer people who deserve this. Right, apparently see you next Thursday. ;)

Utrommaniac
04-13-2017, 09:53 AM

Just a heads up, Toad Baron will be in volume 2 of TMNT Universe. No release date yet though.

Toad Baron is in the May and June issues or the regular series, and issues 9 and 10 of Universe.

ProphetofGanja
04-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Toad Baron is in the May and June issues or the regular series, and issues 9 and 10 of Universe.

I really can't wait to see what Toad Baron's deal is.

Until we find out, in my mind I'm imagining something like Hedonismbot :lol:
JdH3jo-A2Uw

Utrommaniac
04-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Dude, me too :D

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-13-2017, 12:29 PM
I really can't wait to see what Toad Baron's deal is.

Until we find out, in my mind I'm imagining something like Hedonismbot :lol:
JdH3jo-A2Uw

Dude, me too :D

Same.

"Shall we adjourn to the dungeon?"

Or, for IDW...

"Shall we adjourn to the buffet?"

ProphetofGanja
04-13-2017, 12:40 PM
I'm also getting a strong "Mad Hatter" type vibe, except with waaay more hookah. And alcohol instead of tea.

Utrommaniac
04-13-2017, 04:34 PM
He's kind of got a mix in there for me.

A "Imagine if HedonismBot was also the Mad Hatter".

And of course, with a dash of this, as I've said before
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrsdnWkWIAAUWtv.jpg

Won't stop me from trying to recreate this either
YkfU1JqmkHM

Of all the characters I want to throw memes at, it's Toad Baron???
Honestly, I think I'm going to like him 10000x more than Kitsune or the Rat King, simply because the very concept is a lot more fun.

MikeandRaph87
04-24-2017, 01:12 PM
I think that my wish is granted. Unlike Nick the trusted IDW brand will likely utilize them effectively. I hope mthst my faith isn't a tall order as...
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54235&page=88

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-24-2017, 01:17 PM
I think that my wish is granted. Unlike Nick the trusted IDW brand will likely utilize them effectively. I hope mthst my faith isn't a tall order as...
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54235&page=88

That seems to imply, at least based on my interpretation, that we will be seeing the "Punk Frogs" utilized as minions for Toad Baron. Color me surprised and pleased. :tgrin:

ProphetofGanja
04-24-2017, 01:18 PM
I hope mthst my faith isn't a tall order as...

What?

:mango::mango::mango:

MikeandRaph87
04-24-2017, 03:51 PM
What?

:mango::mango::mango:

I was introducing the link to site my source. Te Power That Be denied that The Punk Frogs were involved with The Toad Baron. At least in the way it was worded. I was wondering if they could be trained by Karai in Japan to help her take power from Splinter if the case arises that she feels she needs to. She already created Bebop and Rocksteady,but if she picked more competent individuals and trained them herself as a counter to the Turtles it could work. That story is coming up as well.

FredWolfLeonardo
04-24-2017, 08:38 PM
I liked the Punk Frogs just fine in terms of how they portrayed in the 80s series, though I think they would've benefitted with more appearances like the Neutrinos.

I like the irony in a rude and dangerous sounding group like the Punk Frogs all being really soft spoken and gentle, contrary to what Shredder wanted.

DarkFell
04-24-2017, 09:08 PM
I haven't seen much Nick TMNT as of late, so, I missed out on the Punk Frog episodes. However, I do know that the Punk Frogs did not appear in many OT episodes,

The desire for the Frogs to have individual personalities, has come up. Aside of that (and personality can be a wonderful thing), I would actually like to see them make use of and fight within the water / marshes. I bet that the Frogs would probably win within their own habitat, and a swampy lagoon (for a mutated frog) makes a GREAT ambush spot.

Also, frogs in real life will actually wrassle with each other (even though most of that is for the possession of available mates.) So yeah, more froggy wrassles with the enemies please.

Some frienemy conflicts between The Punk Frogs and Turtles might also help to further 'flesh out' the Frog's personalities.

DestronMirage22
04-25-2017, 10:24 AM
It'd probably be best to limit them to one-off characters, used only on one occasion then forgotten about until some other iteration. They aren't exactly characters a lot of people remember fondly (besides those who had the toys) and since they never got much personality they wouldn't really add much to a story. But who knows, maybe IDW will find a way to reintroduce them and find some use for them in whatever story they have planned out for the future. If anybody could do it, they could.

pferreira
04-27-2017, 01:02 PM
I like the irony in a rude and dangerous sounding group like the Punk Frogs all being really soft spoken and gentle, contrary to what Shredder wanted.That's true. Shredder wanted warriors but got a bunch of fairly peaceful frogs instead.

neatoman
04-27-2017, 02:59 PM
Pretty sure Shredder just wanted raw mutagen, it seemed to me like the stupid frogs were just an accident he tried salvage. When life gives you lemons and all that, though I guess here it would be "If Mutagen gives you frogs, tonight you'll dine on frog legs".

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-27-2017, 03:51 PM
I liked the Punk Frogs just fine in terms of how they portrayed in the 80s series, though I think they would've benefitted with more appearances like the Neutrinos.

I like the irony in a rude and dangerous sounding group like the Punk Frogs all being really soft spoken and gentle, contrary to what Shredder wanted.

I think the frogs could've been bad guys throughout season 2, and then turn good by season 3.

pferreira
05-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Pretty sure Shredder just wanted raw mutagen, it seemed to me like the stupid frogs were just an accident he tried salvage. When life gives you lemons and all that, though I guess here it would be "If Mutagen gives you frogs, tonight you'll dine on frog legs".Just checked. The canister leaked so Shredder as you say wanted to salvage the situation however he was still training them to be warriors. As I said before he didn't have a choice of what animal to mutate and was stuck with mutated peaceful frogs.