PDA

View Full Version : Are cartoons for kids?

CyberCubed
04-02-2017, 11:31 PM
What do you think? Nowadays it seems like more adults are watching cartoons than ever before. Are cartoons still mostly for kids or do you think they're also for adults now?

ProphetofGanja
04-02-2017, 11:37 PM
If by "cartoon" you simply mean "animated television program", then the question is so broad as to be meanigless. Animation is just one type of medium. It can be geared towards children or adults, just like books, film, and pretty much every other category of art

Powder
04-02-2017, 11:46 PM
None of your poll choices really offer a proper answer to the question.

There are animated program for all age groups.

& barring stuff like Nick Jr, plenty of "kid-aimed" cartoons took adult viewers into consideration over the last few decades.

snake
04-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Animation as a whole isn't, but most cartoons on television are directed at children at various ages.

That doesn't mean adults can't enjoy them as well.

TigerClaw
04-02-2017, 11:53 PM
there are cartoons that all ages can enjoy, and cartoons that adults can enjoy, a majority of anime is made for adults these days, some for kids too.

CyberCubed
04-03-2017, 02:37 AM
When I was younger all I was ever told was that, "cartoons are for kids" and that I had to "outgrow cartoons" once I started becoming a teenager around 13-14 or so.

The only recognized cartoon for adults in my day was The Simpsons or other similar adult comedies, but that was about it. Back then if you were an adult watching cartoons you were viewed as if there was something seriously wrong with you. Like, "mentally disturbed" or something like that. I remember even in TV shows whenever 20+ year olds would watch cartoons they were openly mocked and made fun of.

When did this change? It seems like nowadays adults watching cartoons is more socially acceptable than ever before. You don't really see people mocked for liking cartoons anymore, besides some narrow minded people. It's so different than my generation in the 80's and 90's.

turtle1237
04-03-2017, 07:58 AM
Yeah some one try to tell me Fire and Ice and Wizards are for kids lol

Or Heavy Metal the 1980's classic. The 3 movies I mention should not be watch by kids by the way and there all cartoons for adults.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Depends on what you mean. The target demographic is usually kids, so yeah, in that sense cartoons are for kids. That doesn't mean the writers can't try to make the show fun for adults too (one example would be Arthur).

Wesley
04-03-2017, 10:17 AM
I'd say cartoons are aimed at kids, but adults can enjoy them as well. For example, animaniacs is like a completely different show to watch as an adult, as a lot of the humour went over my head as a kid.

plastroncafe
04-03-2017, 11:24 AM
No.

Next question.

turtle1237
04-03-2017, 12:30 PM
I'd say cartoons are aimed at kids, but adults can enjoy them as well. For example, animaniacs is like a completely different show to watch as an adult, as a lot of the humour went over my head as a kid.

A percent are aim at kids not all. With the blood and gore of Wizards, the nudity of Heavy Metal, and Fire and Ice. (Non anime cartoons, American made) Kids need not see the above films. But in the 80's Adults got there adult cartoons(Non hentai) and Kids got there Transformers and my little pony. No way I stick in Wizards with kids around. The last American made cartoon for adults, I think was Heavy Metal 2000 from well the year 2000. Not counting CGI movies like sausage party, because I don't consider them true cartoons.

Prowler
04-03-2017, 03:04 PM
If by "cartoon" you simply mean "animated television program", then the question is so broad as to be meanigless. Animation is just one type of medium. It can be geared towards children or adults, just like books, film, and pretty much every other category of art

Animation as a whole isn't, but most cartoons on television are directed at children at various ages.

That doesn't mean adults can't enjoy them as well.

No.

Next question.
All of this.

ToTheNines
04-03-2017, 03:23 PM
No. For the same reasons everyone else said.

But for real... you posted this in a Ninja Turtles forum, what'd you think people were going to say?

FredWolfLeonardo
04-03-2017, 04:16 PM
What if you're a kid of God?

TheSkeletonMan939
04-03-2017, 04:30 PM

What the hell does that mean?

The Deadman
04-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Ahh, another Cybercubed thread where he's out of touch with todays culture.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-03-2017, 05:02 PM
I'm convinced he lives in a pocket dimension stuck in the 80's/90's. But yeah it depends on the "cartoon". Plenty of mindless goofy ones out there for kids- I could name The Sponge for an example- and plenty for adults too. Gargoyles was surprisingly mature back it its day as were the Spider-Man and X-Men and Batman TAS back then. And then Simpsons, South Park and Futurama made animation acceptable for adults to enjoy as well.

FredWolfLeonardo
04-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Some of the "adult" cartoons like family guy feel more immature than actual kids cartoons.

ProphetofGanja
04-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Some of the "adult" cartoons like family guy feel more immature than actual kids cartoons.

Totally agreed on that. I used to be a Family Guy fan, but it started to seem like it just kept hitting all the same jokes.

American Dad >>> Family Guy >> The Cleveland Show

MsMarvelDuckie
04-03-2017, 05:23 PM
I think the low point was when it crossed over with The Simpsons. Which in all honesty should have died out YEARS ago. Homer and fam have gotten seriously stale over the past decade.

AT-Man
04-03-2017, 06:26 PM
This thread needs to be locked.

CyberCubed
04-03-2017, 07:50 PM
I think the low point was when it crossed over with The Simpsons. Which in all honesty should have died out YEARS ago. Homer and fam have gotten seriously stale over the past decade.

The Simpsons hasn't been consistently good since Season 9. Show should have ended by Season 15 at the latest.

Hard to believe it's on Season 28 now, and has been renewed through Season 30.

IndigoErth
04-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Where is the "both" option?

Like any other form of entertainment, there is some intended for difference audiences and others able to be enjoyed by both kids and adults.

That said... If cartoons were just for kids and were not a thing adults should enjoy, then no one would like cartoons and no one would take up careers making them, and then none would exist for anybody.

CyberCubed
04-03-2017, 08:56 PM
That said... If cartoons were just for kids and were not a thing adults should enjoy, then no one would like cartoons and no one would take up careers making them, and then none would exist for anybody.

When I was a kid in the 80's and 90's it was very rare for adults to watch cartoons, again not counting stuff like The Simpsons or other adult comedies. I remember when I started becoming a teenager you were told to "grow out of cartoons" and even kids in school generally mocked people who still watched cartoons in middle school.

Seriously, if you said back in the 90's that 30+ year old adults would still watch cartoons for themselves and enjoy them, not with their kids or anything, they would have been looked down upon as, "losers with no lives" or "people who never grew up and live in neverland like Michael Jackson."

It's amazing how this doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I guess it must be a change in the norms of society or it's because todays adults are my generation, and now we know we can watch animation. Meanwhile our parents generation looked at cartoons as, "kids junk."

MsMarvelDuckie
04-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Not everyone is/was like that though. My mom still enjoys animated films like Disney movies, Secret of NIHM American Tail, etc. And she used to watch cartoons with me on Saturday mornings on occasion too. So some older gen folks DO enjpy them. Its all a matter of what they like or whether they can appreciate it as a medium. Some do even in my parents' generation.

Powder
04-03-2017, 10:24 PM

Tell us more about your views on Fox, & Family Guy.

FredWolfLeonardo
04-03-2017, 10:27 PM
Tell us more about your views on Fox, & Family Guy.

I don't live in America so I don't watch Fox or know much about it. Family Guy, not my type of show.

ProphetofGanja
04-03-2017, 10:28 PM

Like a holy goat? :lol:

FredWolfLeonardo
04-03-2017, 10:29 PM
Like a holy goat? :lol:

Exactly. Or a baby lamb.

CyberCubed
04-03-2017, 10:46 PM
I don't live in America so I don't watch Fox or know much about it. Family Guy, not my type of show.

Didn't you say you live in Pakistan, or was that someone else? How do you watch American cartoons there, through the internet I assume? They don't air this stuff on TV in your country, do they?

FredWolfLeonardo
04-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Didn't you say you live in Pakistan, or was that someone else? How do you watch American cartoons there, through the internet I assume? They don't air this stuff on TV in your country, do they?

Born in Pakistan, live in New Zealand.

Actually, when I was growing up in Pak, there were heaps of cartoons. It was running behind schedule compared to America, but we still had Pokemon, tmnt 2k3, dragonball z, justice league, teen titans, SpongeBob and so on.

In New Zealand, there are a limited number cartoons airing but I don't watch that many anymore so no biggie. Tmnt Nick airs reruns here alot and a few shows like mlp fim and SpongeBob are also the most frequent cartoons if you don't have Sky TV, which I don't.

Prowler
04-03-2017, 11:56 PM
Not everyone is/was like that though. My mom still enjoys animated films like Disney movies, Secret of NIHM American Tail, etc. And she used to watch cartoons with me on Saturday mornings on occasion too. So some older gen folks DO enjpy them. Its all a matter of what they like or whether they can appreciate it as a medium. Some do even in my parents' generation.
Not to mention, many decades ago back in the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. lots of adults watched cartoons. Betty Boop wasn't made for kids nor were all of those WW2 propaganda bugs bunny and mickey mouse cartoon shorts. My grandma told me back in her day people would go to the cinema to watch the news, since in the 30s-40s people didn't have TVs at home yet or was very rare unless you were rich. Cartoon shorts would also get shown.

I'm not so sure if you're assuming Pakistan doesn't have access to American entertainment or if you're assuming that people in Pakistan can't even afford to own TVs.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 12:42 AM
I'm just surprised they air American cartoons in foreign countries. Are they aired in english over there or dubbed in other languages?

It's weird how only Japan and the U.S. (or Canada) produce their own animation, but every other country in the world doesn't make their own cartoons, just borrows ours.

Cure
04-04-2017, 12:49 AM
It's weird how only Japan and the U.S. (or Canada) produce their own animation, but every other country in the world doesn't make their own cartoons, just borrows ours.

Your bubble keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 12:58 AM
I'm just surprised they air American cartoons in foreign countries. Are they aired in english over there or dubbed in other languages?

Huh dude, aren't you aware of how big Hollywood and American tv in general are? Your country has the most powerful entertainment industry in the world.

And dubbing varies by country. In major countries like Spain, Italy, France and Germany they dub everything including live action movies. In Smaller European countries like Portugal, Holland, Denmark, Norway, Greece, Sweden, Finland they only really dub cartoons and they haven't always done that.

I'd never want to watch a dubbed live action movie/tv show. And I don't like watching dubbed cartoons/anime either.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:18 AM
I just find it weird only two countries in the world provide the majority of animation. U.S. for cartoons and Japan for anime. Like...what the hell are all the other countries doing? I mean I'm sure there are some cartooons made for Russians, or France, but it's rare.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:28 AM
I just find it weird only two countries in the world provide the majority of animation. U.S. for cartoons and Japan for anime. Like...what the hell are all the other countries doing? I mean I'm sure there are some cartoons made for Russians, or France, but it's rare.
Ofc other countries have their own cartoons but it's either not as easy for them to export them or they just make them for their domestic market. Hell even lots of Japanese anime isn't exported either or games for that matter.
Not to mention smaller countries have lower GDPs and thus their entertainment industries have lower production values meaning they can't just sh*t out cartoons after cartoons like USA does every year.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-04-2017, 06:44 AM
France has Astrix the Gaul but that is the only one i can think of ATM.

ProactiveMan
04-04-2017, 09:58 AM
The UK still produces a lot of animated TV shows. They're mostly for small kids though.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm just glad that when the 2k3 and Nick TMNT shows aired in the UK, they didn't change it to "Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles" like they did with the original show.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 08:23 PM
France has Astrix the Gaul but that is the only one i can think of ATM.
...that's not originally a cartoon, but a comic book.. Stick to the comics since the cartoon adaptations don't do it justice. Same for Tintin's which btw is Belgian.

The Smurfs are also Belgian, btw.

Belgium has given many great comic books to the world.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-04-2017, 09:08 PM
I knew it was a comic but was just mentionong it as an example of non-American animation. I used to watch episodes of it in my Latin class while we were studying the Gallic War lol!

I just remembered another- Dot and the Kangaroo and its sequel(s). That one is Australian and I remember pennydreadful liking that one. As did I when I saw it as a kid. Britain has some good ones too IIRC. Danger Mouse was originally British wasn't it?

sdp
04-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Cartoons are still regarded as they being for kids, no matter what you say but sticking to online fandoms is not a good representation of what the real world thinks. Is it a bit more acceptable? Of course overtime it has become more acceptable but hardly "normal". Considering yourself an animation fan is nowhere near the mainstream that is say playing video games as an adult now or even liking Star Wars.

Like it's been mentioned plenty of times cartoons started not being for kids which is why those shorts are so well animated and feature some unsuitable content for kids.

Of course there's examples from previous decades but I'd say that the 90s really did a lot for animation being taken more seriously with the Simpsons, South Park all making cartoon comedies acceptable for adults. MTV actually tried really hard during that decade to bring "adult" animated cartoons, people often forget MTV's contributions to animation. Another thing the 90s brought to the mainstream was Anime started becoming a hit with people, especially older people as they provided "mature" stories, in fact for a long time it was mostly acceptable for an adult to watch animated shows if it was japanese but not western.

Over the 00's you've seen companies like DC with their DTVs go for an older market but what people also don't give credit to is Pixar and Dreamworks. With their quality in their stories they made it "ok" to like those movies as adults, even if they're essentially kids movies and marketed as such.

Now about the comment of foreign cartoons, there's plenty in fact France had a golden age of cartoons which they exported worldwide, just because it didn't hit the US doesn't mean they weren't worldwide hits. hell anime was a worldwide hit for two decades before it ever became a thing in the US. Yes most countries import cartoons but that's because it's cheaper since it's expensive compared to the US that has an advantage. Americna companies have the supply chains to do it easier than any other country, and yet we still see cartoons like el Chavo that had tons of seasons and aired in all of latin america and even the US.

I've been watching through Wakfu and it's one of the most original and beautiful shows I've ever seen and it's from France.

ProactiveMan
04-05-2017, 02:02 AM
I'm just glad that when the 2k3 and Nick TMNT shows aired in the UK, they didn't change it to "Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles" like they did with the original show.

Which reminds me... A lot of the actual animation in American and Japanese cartoons is produced in other countries. A bunch of the OT was animated in Ireland for example; the Simpsons in Korea.. a lot of shows in Korea actually.

Cryomancer
04-05-2017, 02:24 AM
Yeah some one try to tell me Fire and Ice and Wizards are for kids lol

Or Heavy Metal the 1980's classic. The 3 movies I mention should not be watch by kids by the way and there all cartoons for adults.

I used to have a DVD of Wizards that was described as like "fun for the whole family" or something on the box. Honestly, a kid probably could learn some stuff from that movie, but I feel like a lot of American "family" audiences wouldn't be so happy to sit down with their kids to watch a movie where the one lady has hard nipples the whole time and the villain is basically a Hitler fanboy. Grandpa might like it though.

Utrommaniac
04-05-2017, 02:53 AM
Isn't that where Doug Walker got his "It's a family picture!" bit?

Coola Yagami
04-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Cartoons are for all age groups. Obviously the kiddy stuff like Spongebob and Dora are for kids. It's the more serious stuff like non-pokemon-ish anime shows and adult animated sitcoms that are for older people.

Nowadays people are ok with you liking some superheroes but that's if you're referring to the movies, and not watching the cartoons. The turtles are still considered kids stuff though. I notice people get weird looks if you tell them you're watching the nick show and both Bay films were crawling with kids.

turtle1237
04-05-2017, 11:14 AM
I used to have a DVD of Wizards that was described as like "fun for the whole family" or something on the box. Honestly, a kid probably could learn some stuff from that movie, but I feel like a lot of American "family" audiences wouldn't be so happy to sit down with their kids to watch a movie where the one lady has hard nipples the whole time and the villain is basically a Hitler fanboy. Grandpa might like it though.

I am not even bring up the Hitler thing from Wizards, lol. Justice League had Hitler in it though and that could be consider kids/teens. I talking about the blood guts and gore, decapitations, impale by the sword, with loads of blood and guts spilling out. The fairy lady was hot, but yes her nipples were poking out in the out fit, not to mention she was in a thong in some of the scenes lol.

But that's not as bad as Fire and Ice were you can see half of Princess Teegra's butt though out the movie in that thong she wore, she always wore it just a LOT down, so you can see a lot of crack lol.

I don't think the movies are for kids. Granted my mom let me watch Heavy metal as a 6 or 7 year old. Blood, guts and I think all of the main women got naked. I have it on Blu-ray lol. Great film, Taarna's story was always my favorite, and I think if the whole film was around Taarna, it would be even more amazing lol. Yes she has 2 nude scenes, getting dress while the people are getting slaughter lol. Slowly getting dress lol. And when she was capture and strip. But she pulls though and saves the day, even at the cost of her life. I love Heavy Metal, great film.

ABrown
04-05-2017, 03:10 PM
I would say that over the last 25 years (or so) U.S. cartoons have been primarily targeted towards children. However, a large number of them are entertaining enough that adults can enjoy them as well. Obviously there are exceptions. There are cartoons that air on Networks such as Disney Jr and Nick Jr that are ONLY meant for little children. In addition, there's shows such as Family Guy and South Park that are only intended for teenagers and adults, and not children.

I would like to point out though that during about the first ten years of my life, this was not the case. I would say that during the 1980's, while the cartoons were still intended for children. They were no where near as entertaining for adults as they have been in more recent years.