PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite Mirage TMNT artist?

Andrew NDB
04-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Let's see the polls. I almost want to say "Who is your second favorite TMNT artist?" to get more interesting results.

Powder
04-03-2017, 09:21 PM
Lawson, for sure. Both as a talent & as a personality, he's the sweetest guy in the biz. His original style, middle style, modern style, I love it all.

They're all great, really, all of them.

While the Image books were under a different publisher, they were meant to be in Mirage continuity, so I gotta give a mega honorable mention to Frank Fosco, whose work blew my mind.

funatic
04-03-2017, 09:38 PM
I'm a Berger funatic, tried and true. Love his clarity, edginess, dynamism, etc. Super nice and always willing to chat and answer questions. He's the only TMNT artist I've commissioned, and after receiving the results I may never be able to commission another, because there's no topping what I received for the price I paid.

The combo of Eastman and Laird together is close second though.

CyberCubed
04-03-2017, 09:41 PM
I've always loved Michael Dooney's Turtles in particular. He draws them with a strong, "superhero" type vibe, if that makes any sense. Just look at any issue or art with his Turtles, they seriously look like they're about to kick ass.

Early Jim Lawson prior to the 2000's was good too, and of course I love Dan Berger. Lastly Eastman/Laird's art is always good, although I'm not too fond of Eastman's recent art for the IDW stuff, his older art style was way better.

Rooish
04-03-2017, 09:54 PM
I voted Farley because I like his style best...

but second is Lawson.

Third is Eastman/Laird/Talbot/Berger.

Although I agree, Cubed. Eastman's art has slipped.

DestronMirage22
04-03-2017, 10:08 PM
When I think Mirage art, I usually think of Lawson's. His is perhaps the most recognizable, and almost all the art that he contributed was really good.

DarkFell
04-03-2017, 10:14 PM
I voted for Dooney, but I also like some of what I've seen from Dan Berger.

Nortock Diab
04-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Jim Lawson first of course.
Probably followed by Dan Berger.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 12:44 AM
I voted for Dooney, but I also like some of what I've seen from Dan Berger.

Dan Berger didn't draw too many Mirage issues, but what he did was pretty good. Most notable Mirage #45 with Leaderhead, and he did a few in the second volume of Tales.

Come to think of it, it's a shame he didn't do a lot more issues. I think he was busy doing the comic strip at the time.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Lawson, for sure. Both as a talent & as a personality, he's the sweetest guy in the biz. His original style, middle style, modern style, I love it all.

They're all great, really, all of them.

While the Image books were under a different publisher, they were meant to be in Mirage continuity, so I gotta give a mega honorable mention to Frank Fosco, whose work blew my mind.

Powder beat me to it. Lawson and Fosco.

I'll simply add the caveat that I much preferred Lawson's art in Mirage Volume 1, and that Volume 4 was... much less to my liking, regarding his human characters. But I'm not reading TMNT for April and Casey, so I'm fine with it. :trazz:

DrSpengler
04-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Jeeeeeez that's a tough one.

I voted Dooney after some deliberation, but A.C. Farley and Dan Berger are all up there, too. I think Dooney won out because his interpretation of the Turtles feels like the most realized/idealized interpretation. He also produced more full issues than either Farley or Berger and, Jesus, his painted work is so gorgeous.

Jim Lawson may not be my favorite aesthetically, but I respect him as the most prolific artist in the brand's history. When I think "Mirage TMNT" I can't help but picture his style simply due to the volume of his output for the publisher. And when he's firing on all cylinders, his layouts cannot be matched.

Talbot is another one of my faves, but he did scant few full story pencils when you go back and look at the catalog (a few shorts and I think only 1 full issue). Because of that I can't really hold him up alongside my other faves who produced more stories overall. His work as an inker, especially when attached to Lawson, is superb, though.

So Dooney gets my vote for number one with Lawson probably a second. Farley, Berger and Talbot are mostly tied for third, maybe. Really is hard to choose.

MiamiTurtles3434
04-04-2017, 08:59 AM
My soft spot is A.C Farley for the covers he drew for CAW. Then comes Jim and the early Eastman & Laird

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Jim Lawson drew more Mirage comics than anyone. All of Volume 4, at least 30 Tales issues (probably more), City at War, etc.

Andrew NDB
04-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Jim Lawson drew more Mirage comics than anyone. All of Volume 4, at least 30 Tales issues (probably more), City at War, etc.

True, he has the distinction of being able to say he's drawn two entire volumes of Mirage (V2 and V4) all by himself.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 11:12 AM
It's actually kind of surprising how few issues Kevin and Peter actually drew themselves. For guys who created the entire franchise, they surprisingly drew very few issues overall and let other artists do their own thing with them.

Basically after Return to New York, they were basically done for the rest of the series besides returning for issue 50, then done again...forever. Pete never drew a single issue since.

Andrew NDB
04-04-2017, 11:13 AM
Basically after Return to New York, they were basically done for the rest of the series besides returning for issue 50, then done again...

Kevin and Peter did collectively pencil and ink all of the covers for V2, which was pretty neat. Then nothing till that poster for cancer. Then nothing till that anniversary cover.

forever. Pete never drew a single issue since.

There's been at least a couple issues of V4 where Peter inked Lawson.

Chris
04-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Voted for Dooney but it's so close! Early Eastman/Laird, Berger & Lawson are all amazing as well.

Jester
04-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Dooney...but love AC Farley as well as of course Eastman and Laird.

Lawson's early work is great, but his new more stylized stuff...not as much.

Andrew NDB
04-04-2017, 12:51 PM
For me, it's impossible to look at one of A.C. Farley's painted covers or even interiors and not give it to him. You can see a lot of influence from him in Fosco's work too.

That said, it's difficult to marginalize Lawson. He's definitely the man. When Kevin Eastman inks him, that is some phenomenal art... probably better than Farley solo.

MiamiTurtles3434
04-04-2017, 01:27 PM
very well said Andrew

neatoman
04-04-2017, 01:53 PM
I kinda wanna say Mark Martin because of this one page, but that would just be a joke...
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/Magazine%20Scans/MarkMartinSplinterSpeedRacer_crop.jpg

Maha GoGo, Maha Gogo, Maha GoGoGo!

But in all seriousness, Jim Lawson. Yeah, it's rather blocky artwork and never looked as good as it did in Return to New York. On the other hand, it's kind of difficult to imagine TMNT comics without him and even though the style he chose isn't in everyone's taste, the man has proven himself a competent artist in the past...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-60luPTVApVw/TwNHE0rtoXI/AAAAAAAAHYw/HdVotKiVqF8/s1600/ny02.jpg

DarkFell
04-04-2017, 11:59 PM
Even though Mark Martin 'made a funny', that part is well illustrated.

Mewzard
04-05-2017, 12:53 AM
Too bad there's no option for Eastman and Laird's combined art that made up the first issues of the series. I rather enjoyed the end result of those.

That said, I do love me some Jim Lawson. For City at War alone he took us through such a great story, and I loved every minute of it.

Cryomancer
04-05-2017, 01:32 AM
It's really damn hard to choose. Going Lawson I think. I like both Eastman and Laird's stuff a lot too, together or apart.

Btown
04-05-2017, 01:53 AM
I may be bias but Talbot gets my vote. I love how his style differs from most every artist. That's why I have one of his turtles tattoo'd on me.

Andrew NDB
04-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Obviously you'd want Laird and Eastman together... but ranked against one another? I'd probably give it to Laird by a good margin. I liked Eastman more on the inking side, and layouts.

DestronMirage22
04-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Obviously you'd want Laird and Eastman together... but ranked against one another? I'd probably give it to Laird by a good margin. I liked Eastman more on the inking side, and layouts.

Agreed. Peter just had a really good style. A page from Old Times for example:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7OX7EQZx7ok/U-ZV2uZvXlI/AAAAAAAANdc/vrNOPBnGOKg/s1600/old2.jpg

Cryomancer
04-05-2017, 02:16 PM
Eastman's stuff sometimes has that look to it where everything has sort of strange proportions, like they're all tabletop miniatures or something? Timesplitters 2 characters give me that same vibe. And I kinda dig it? Dunno why.

CyberCubed
04-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Agreed. Peter just had a really good style. A page from Old Times for example:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7OX7EQZx7ok/U-ZV2uZvXlI/AAAAAAAANdc/vrNOPBnGOKg/s1600/old2.jpg

What's this from? I don't recognize it. Donatello is wearing his Stump Asteroid wrestling get-up.

DestronMirage22
04-05-2017, 02:31 PM
What's this from? I don't recognize it. Donatello is wearing his Stump Asteroid wrestling get-up.

Dude, I stated it right in the post: Old Times. It was in the 1st issue of Plastron Caf vol 2.

And that's a Japanese rising sun bandana. A common symbol I believe.

pferreira
04-06-2017, 08:21 AM
I voted Eastman but obviously Laird, Lawson and Dooney come next for me.

funatic
04-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Just noticed Tom McWeeney is missing from the poll options. What a glaring oversight! I demand a recount! :tlol:

Panda_Kahn_fan
04-06-2017, 09:51 AM
I actually prefer Veitch's work on the book, but I guess that's just me. The artwork in the river stories and sons of the silent age is my favorite Mirage tmnt art style (and those stories are among my few favorite TMNT stories),. I always liked his turtle style better than the other artists.

I dunno, my tastes with Mirage TMNT are weird compared to everyone else's Tristan Jones is my favorite Mirage writer, and I'd take a TMNT mirage comic written by Jones and drawn by Veitch over an Eastman and Laird series any way. But again, I guess that's just me.

funatic
04-06-2017, 02:08 PM
I dunno, my tastes with Mirage TMNT are weird compared to everyone else's Tristan Jones is my favorite Mirage writer, and I'd take a TMNT mirage comic written by Jones and drawn by Veitch over an Eastman and Laird series any way. But again, I guess that's just me.

Nah, Tristan's in my top bracket of Turtles writers as well, and I think many here would agree. It would be interesting to have a counter-poll of people's favorite TMNT writer.

Also, I'm actually kind of surprised that Tristan's Tales tag-team partner, Paul Harmon, wasn't one of the options in this poll, having inked a fair amount of issues of Mirage, and having a very distinctive style. It looks like Andrew was listing mostly the old era of Mirage though.

Andrew NDB
04-06-2017, 02:39 PM
It looks like Andrew was listing mostly the old era of Mirage though.

Only volume 1. And polls only allow you to include 15 options, anyway.

Andrew NDB
04-06-2017, 02:56 PM

It was actually one of the original costumes Eastman and Laird came up with for Donatello when they were still going to give them all costumes in Mirage TMNT Vol. 1, #1. They didn't, of course, and the costumes appeared in the Stump Asteroid issue of TMNTA, and Plastron Cafe #1 as what Near Future Don wears. You knew all of this, though.

Don will be wearing that same outfit throughout "Origin."

plastroncafe
04-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Talbot.
With Farley SO VERY close behind it's not even funny.

Powder
04-06-2017, 08:00 PM
It's pretty amazing what a following Eric has for doing so little compared to Jim, for example.

myconius
04-07-2017, 06:31 PM
WOW!!! this really is just TOO big of a question!!!

there are so many great artists and styles that it's really hard for me to choose only one favorite.

if i had to narrow it down i'd say my all time favorite artist would be Richard Corben.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/1/1d/33cover.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080206133533

http://www.entrecomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/ninja.jpg

https://www.muuta.net/PgPicts/SynoPgPicts/YouDBThereP01x2.jpg

the art he did for Creepy magazine and his Den series were just incredible!!
having him do art for Ninja Turtles as truly a gift! :D

but i think the collaborated efforts from various artists was some of my favorite early Mirage art.

Mayhem
04-08-2017, 04:21 AM
if i had to narrow it down i'd say my all time favorite artist would be Richard Corben.
Partly why I'm really happy to have two of the original pages from Turtles Take Time heh...

myconius
04-08-2017, 06:58 AM
Partly why I'm really happy to have two of the original pages from Turtles Take Time heh...

GAHHHHH!!!!!!!! :o

you lucky dawg you!!!! :lol:

that's great though! does the page look like Corben used traditional inks, or does it look more painted? like he used some sort of watercolor or gouache? :)

Mayhem
04-09-2017, 03:11 AM
that's great though! does the page look like Corben used traditional inks, or does it look more painted? like he used some sort of watercolor or gouache? :)
Here's one of the pages: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=881219

Need to take a shot without the acetate overlay on it. Looks like air brush or similar, definitely painted in some way.

mrmaczaps
04-09-2017, 05:01 AM
I voted Lawson for his own style artwork which oddly I didn't like at first. I'd take Laird over Eastman as I don't care for most of Eastman's turtles on his own. I think Pete gets a bad rap for not being more involved like Kevin is and fans (here & IRL) almost seem to disrespect Pete for that...
Dooney, Talbot and really all the early Mirage guys...

How do you REALLY choose.... lol. They all have their story that was done where you look at the artwork and something just pops off the page. V2 being all Lawson helped me really enjoy his work. The only v1 stuff I didn't like was that cartoony goofy buggin eyes slapstick looking art... late 20s/early 30s issues...

myconius
04-09-2017, 05:34 AM
Here's one of the pages: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=881219

Need to take a shot without the acetate overlay on it. Looks like air brush or similar, definitely painted in some way.

that is EXCELLENT!! thank you for showing me that! :D

air brush, i would have never imagined. but that makes sense looking at the soft separation between tones and colors.

this is great to see as i'm more familiar with seeing pages Corben painted in a black and white palette with gray tones.

thanks again! :D

AquaParade
04-09-2017, 06:02 PM
As a side note, is there a particular tmnt artist you guys like to
Collect signatures from?

I've always been more of a Mirage fan than anything else, so why does the idea of getting a signed IDW comic appeal to me more than a Mirage signed collectible?

Can someone diagnose me?

funatic
04-09-2017, 11:41 PM
As a side note, is there a particular tmnt artist you guys like to
Collect signatures from?

Well... I usually just get the signatures to prove I've bought/supported some of that artist's work, and therein have an excuse to talk with them a bit and maybe even get a quick turtle sketch out of the dealio. So as far as artists who have been great to interact with... Lawson is always super upbeat and fun. I only met Berger in person once long ago, but he was also very nice and introduced me to the brilliant idea of getting signatures inside the comic near the credits so as not to taint the pretty art on the covers. I still get a little starstruck when getting sigs from Eastman and Laird (since they're TMNT royalty) so there's something fun to be had in that brush with fame, but they are often too busy with lonnnng lines to really talk turtles with. On that note, I met Sophie Campbell a few years back at a con and spent a good half hour shooting the shell with her. Would def like to meet her again! Let's see... Talbot is always a solid dude and one of the few who always remembers me... Murphy has some great stories... Caleb Goellner is a riot... Michael Dialynas is too... the list goes on and on! It's really amazing how almost everyone who works on turtles is super approachable and a genuinely awesome person to talk to!

Turtles
05-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Hi there

I seldom post and rarely visit, but love that there are so many TMNT-fans out there.

One of my absolute favorite TMNT artists is Jim Lawson. He is a master storyteller, fantastic at creating rythm on a comic page. He has a Kickstarter going, only one week left and stille not quite there (but almost). Go, pledge. Let us have more Jim Lawson art in this world:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1056947565/the-box-city-wallops-3-4?ref=nav_search

Best regards