PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on season 2 of the Fred Wolf series?

Prowler
04-04-2017, 12:19 AM
As we all know, the FW series had 10 seasons, with 3 and 4 being the longest ones by far.

After a 5 episode only debut season comes a new season with 13 episodes, which is still a fairly low count, but hey I guess the show only hit its height in popularity around 1989-1990.

This season starts out well. Return of the Shredder is alright for what it was an that final battle where Baxter Stockman barges in with a forklift was a bit tense. As was the way he ravaged the Lair to abduct Splinter... man speaking of which how did several characters find out the Turtles Lair and none of them was ever Shredder or Dregg? And their allies that have found the turtles Lair never even told them about it. :lol:

Anyway then comes the 4 episode Eye of Sarnoth arc. I really liked this arc when I was a kid and as frustrated that Shredder kept getting every fragment. At the end the whole thing just blows up.. and that's it. never to be mentioned again.

Then there's the Killer Pizas episode which is iconic since those alien like creatures even showed up in Turtles in Time 4 years later. Didn't care much for Splinter No More, the 2nd Neutrino episode or that episode where April turns into a feline. I liked New York's Shiniest, though. And also Enter: The Fly.

The season finale was quite good. Not as great as seasons'3 or season's 7 so I guess it gets kinda overlooked nowadays but I liked it a lot when I was a kid and thought the show was over as the Technodrome sunk into the lava.

Overall this season was a bit over the place. First of all, Baxter is Shredder's sidekick for half of it while Bebop and Rocksteady are stuck in Dimension X with Krang. It's kinda odd how that changed and then Baxter turns into a fly. I had not foreseen that as a kid.

The Eye of Sarnoth arc was also kind of weird when you look at the whole show. Never again did we get arcs until Red Sky came along, unless you count the last 3 episodes of season 3 as one arc. And the payoff of the Eye of Sarnoth arc was Shredder getting all of the alien fragments and then it blowing up at the end... and things went back to normal and it never got brought up again.

I also almost forgot that the Punk Frogs debuted in this season... but they were lame. They were such a poor knockoff of the TMNT and the thing is, they all had the same personality pretty much. Nothing was interesting about them. It's not like the Turtles met their match in them really.

It seems the writers were still unsure how to carry the rest of the show and experimented a bit with this season. Honestly, of all seasons this is one of the ones I go back to the least. Rarely do I feel like watching an episode from this season. It just has a weird vibe to it in comparison to season 1 and 3 for some reason.

So, thoughts?

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 12:21 AM
It was a pretty solid season and you can tell the writers were trying to figure out what to do with the series. Felt like they weren't sure if they wanted to go full parody/slapstick like later seasons or more action oriented.

I always wondered how things would turn out different if Baxter actually stayed a mutant henchmen of Shredder the entire series like Bebop/Rocksteady.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 12:24 AM
It was a pretty solid season and you can tell the writers were trying to figure out what to do with the series. Felt like they weren't sure if they wanted to go full parody/slapstick like later seasons or more action oriented.

I always wondered how things would turn out different if Baxter actually stayed a mutant henchmen of Shredder the entire series like Bebop/Rocksteady.
I think the action only went down significantly in season 4. Season 4 and 5 seem to have the least action of all seasons and that's when the show became a parody of itself and the Turtles could even go out and get jobs and all. Plus that was probably when the censors and all that jazz were watching the franchise like a hawk the most and they had to tone it down significantly in result. That's also when Mike got a grappling hook wasn't it?

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 12:26 AM
Pretty much yeah, although there was still action in some of the episodes. It was really weird, like one episode would be all slapstick with no real fighting, and then the episode right after would have a huge fight scene. It must be because all these episodes were rushed and made at the same time by different writers and animation studios so nobody knew what was going on.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 12:29 AM
Pretty much yeah, although there was still action in some of the episodes. It was really weird, like one episode would be all slapstick with no real fighting, and then the episode right after would have a huge fight scene. It must be because all these episodes were rushed and made at the same time by different writers and animation studios so nobody knew what was going on.
A shame one of the best fights in those season was in one of the goddamn Howie episodes. I always rewatch that episode just because of that Donatello and Shredder fight. Season 4 or 5 iirc?

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 12:30 AM
Season 4, the first Howie ep is fun for that reason. The second one was kinda meh, they do the whole phantom of the opera thing better in the Season 6 episode, "Phantom of the Sewers."

Prowler
04-04-2017, 12:33 AM
Season 4, the first Howie ep is fun for that reason. The second one was kinda meh, they do the whole phantom of the opera thing better in the Season 6 episode, "Phantom of the Sewers."
It's interesting because, on paper, that Phantom of the Sewers episode didn't sound so good... but it was pretty well executed in the end.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 12:36 AM
It's interesting because, on paper, that Phantom of the Sewers episode didn't sound so good... but it was pretty well executed in the end.

Honestly the majority of plots from the original cartoon sound ridiculous when you hear them, since most of them are parodies of old 50's or 80's movies, but when you actually watch the episodes they're pretty entertaining.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 12:37 AM
And remember how different the Lair looked in the first two seasons? I wonder if they moved Lairs between seasons.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 12:39 AM
And remember how different the Lair looked in the first two seasons? I wonder if they moved Lairs between seasons.

Possibly. I wish they made a mention of where they got their old beat-up TV set from. It was an old 80's TV with an antenna and missing a leg. Don probably found it in the sewers.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 12:57 AM
Possibly. I wish they made a mention of where they got their old beat-up TV set from. It was an old 80's TV with an antenna and missing a leg. Don probably found it in the sewers.
The rest of their furniture is in pretty good condition however. Maybe in later episodes April bought/gave them some furniture. As for appliances I imagine Donatello building all of them.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 12:58 AM
It's funny as a kid I had no idea Rex-1 was a parody of Robocop, or that the Pizza Monsters were a parody of the Alien franchise, simply because I hadn't seen those movies when I was a kid before the episodes. Same with Baxter turning into a fly.

Now as an adult who finally watched a bunch of old classic movies, it's really weird recognizing all the parodies in the original show that I never noticed before.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:00 AM
It's funny as a kid I had no idea Rex-1 was a parody of Robocop, or that the Pizza Monsters were a parody of the Alien franchise, simply because I hadn't seen those movies when I was a kid before the episodes. Same with Baxter turning into a fly.

Now as an adult who finally watched a bunch of old classic movies, it's really weird recognizing all the parodies in the original show that I never noticed before.
Being 5-6 years old when I first watched those episodes I had no idea either... maybe except for Rex-1 very vaguely.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:00 AM
Being 5-6 years old when I first watched those episodes I had no idea either... maybe except for Rex-1 very vaguely.

The whole show is one parody. I guess that's why it was fun. It would have just come across as a very dated 80's action cartoon if it wasn't.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:03 AM
The whole show is one parody. I guess that's why it was fun. It would have just come across as a very dated 80's action cartoon if it wasn't.
Aren't the TMNT originally some sort of parody of superhero comic books in general?

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:04 AM
Yes, at least the first issue.

Although it generally proves the original cartoon never moved on from the whole, "Shredder wants revenge on the Turtles/Splinter, Krang tries to take over Earth or Dimension X, and repowering the Technodrome" plot from Season 1. When you stop to think of it, Season 1 basically represents the story of everything up to the end of Season 7.

The show didn't move on from it's basic premise till Season 8.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:06 AM
Yes, at least the first issue.

Although it generally proves the original cartoon never moved on from the whole, "Shredder wants revenge on the Turtles/Splinter, Krang tries to take over Earth or Dimension X, and repowering the Technodrome" plot from Season 1. When you stop to think of it, Season 1 basically represents the story of everything up to the end of Season 7.

The show didn't move on from it's basic premise till Season 8.
Also remember when turning Splinter back ot human form was one of the main goals of the Turtles? Well turns out he didn't mind being a rat after all. The funny thing is, at the end of the first NES game he turns human again... just like that with no mutagen :lol:

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:10 AM
Yeah, it's funny how the other material made for the same time based on the original cartoon, like the videogames or Archie TMNT Adventures went in completely different directions despite all starting with the same concept.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:17 AM
..have you noticed this thread so far has consisted of just you and I chatting? it's almost like we're exchanging PMs/Emails and not posting on a thread viewed by other people :lol:

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:20 AM
..have you noticed this thread so far has consisted of just you and I chatting? it's almost like we're exchanging PMs/Emails and not posting on a thread viewed by other people :lol:

It's late at night, at least here in NY EST, it's 3:15am here. I imagine everyone else is asleep. :lol:

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:20 AM
It's late at night, at least here in NY EST, it's 3:15am here. I imagine everyone else is asleep. :lol:
8:20am here.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:22 AM
8:20am here.

Damn, you're 6 hours ahead. I'm going to be going to sleep in another 40 minutes, while your day is just beginning. It's so weird how time zones work.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:22 AM
Damn, you're 6 hours ahead. I'm going to be going to sleep in another 40 minutes, while your day is just beginning. It's so weird how time zones work.
Not six, but five.

And I woke up at like 6PM yesterday, so I managed to stay up all night without being sleepy.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:25 AM
Yep, timezones are crazy.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:26 AM
Imagine how hard it is for me to talk with my South Korean contact, then. At the time I'm waking up he's having dinner or about to go to bed. :lol:

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:28 AM
Why do you have a South Korean contact?

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:39 AM
Why do you have a South Korean contact?
Why are you talking to me right now even though I'm from a different country than yours? You've been on the internet for years now. Don't you have e-friends from other parts of the globe? That's a pretty strange question, man. It'd be like me asking you why you have black friends(if you have them, that is) or something.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:41 AM
I just find it strange since you made it seem like you knew him in real life. Yes we're interacting now from different countries but it's from a common interest (TMNT), or on a general forum. Your contact sounds like someone you just e-mail back and forth, I assume?

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:43 AM
I just find it strange since you made it seem like you knew him in real life. Yes we're interacting now from different countries but it's from a common interest (TMNT), or on a general forum. Your contact sounds like someone you just e-mail back and forth, I assume?
Ah no I don't know him in real life. I just first "met" him on another forum because we shared a lot of interests and then just began talking. It's not liek I met him while walking my dog or something. :lol:

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Weird, I don't really talk to people online outside of forums and maybe some social media sites.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:46 AM
Weird, I don't really talk to people online outside of forums and maybe some social media sites.
I can almost call some people I've met in forums/communities "friends", even having them on facebook and having their e-mails. Lots of people do that, actually. But I'm yet to meet someone form the internet irl since each and every online contact I have is from a different country.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:47 AM
Well yes lots of people have internet friends, but it's hard to call them "real friends" if you don't meet them in person. Or at least that's how I feel.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:50 AM
Well yes lots of people have internet friends, but it's hard to call them "real friends" if you don't meet them in person. Or at least that's how I feel.
Oh absolutely. But I've shared so many things with some of them and they've also shared so much stuff with me that it's kinda hard not to consider them as friends or borderline such. As in, if we happened to ever meet irl, I'm sure I'd become full fledged friends with them. It's funny when you think about it with some people on the internet knowing more about you than people you know irl do. It's easier to be more open online than face-to-face.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:52 AM
It's also because it's easier to have a conversation of one thing in particular, whereas in real life people constantly change subjects or do things while speaking. Online you just read text.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:54 AM
It's also because it's easier to have a conversation of one thing in particular, whereas in real life people constantly change subjects or do things while speaking. Online you just read text.
Oh definitely. Plus I'm not a very good speaker overall nor am I a very chatty person. It's a lot easier for me to articulate my thoughts through text. I definitely am a much better writer than a speaker.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:56 AM
Yep. You know it's pretty funny that when people wake up tomorrow and click this thread for the first time they'd expect to see a lengthy discussion of Season 2 of TMNT, whereas the last bunch of posts are just us talking about random stuff.

It's weird how easily we drifted off topic. We're still the only two people to post in this entire thread.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 01:58 AM
Yep. You know it's pretty funny that when people wake up tomorrow and click this thread for the first time they'd expect to see a lengthy discussion of Season 2 of TMNT, whereas the last bunch of posts are just us talking about random stuff.

It's weird how easily we drifted off topic. We're still the only two people to post in this entire thread.
LMAO yeah. It's funny how things turn out at times, isn't it? Then again I made this thread pretty late at night when not so many people were online. I didn't expect replies until tomorrow.

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I'm going to sleep in 10 minutes myself. I guess making a thread this late at night will lead to dead time.

Yabuturtle
04-05-2017, 10:26 PM
The Punk Frogs could have been interesting. They were shown to be pretty nice but since they were called the Punk Frogs and trained by Shredder, I always thought perhaps it'd be better if they were good guys like the turtles but rougher around the edges and be more aggressive so they can be somewhat opposite to the turtles. Kind of like a team of Casey Jones' but not as crazy and to have distinctive personalities

I often wondered if they were planning to end Shredder and Krang. I mean they were sunk in lava, and it kind of heavily implied they were killed right there. Kind of makes me wonder how the turtles can just bust in when even lava can't melt through the technodrome

Shredder acted a little more like a high ranking minion with Krang in the background like Dr. Claw, telling Shredder what to do. In the later seasons they acted a little more like partners but back then Shredder was taking orders from Krang. But it would make more sense since Krang is more intelligent, more powerful owns the techndrome as well as more territory, comes up with the most plans and has a more powerful army at his disposal.

pferreira
04-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Pretty much yeah, although there was still action in some of the episodes. It was really weird, like one episode would be all slapstick with no real fighting, and then the episode right after would have a huge fight scene. It must be because all these episodes were rushed and made at the same time by different writers and animation studios so nobody knew what was going on.Frances Moss was in charge of the writing back then. I don't think they were really thinking about massive arcs.

Honestly the majority of plots from the original cartoon sound ridiculous when you hear them, since most of them are parodies of old 50's or 80's movies, but when you actually watch the episodes they're pretty entertaining.Since TMNT is supposed to be a parody the 80s cartoon works fine.

Possibly. I wish they made a mention of where they got their old beat-up TV set from. It was an old 80's TV with an antenna and missing a leg. Don probably found it in the sewers.I always wondered how there was electricity down in the sewers. :D

Honestly Season 2 in my opinion was very strong. There were a couple of weak episodes but for the most part most of the 13 from that season were pretty good. No complaints here.

Wesley
04-06-2017, 03:30 PM
I think season 2 is decent. I watched all of it for the first time in years recently and thought it held up well, though it's not as good as season 1, 3 or 7. However, it's noticeable as an adult that this was the season when the show started to become repetitive, more lighthearted and dumbed down.

neatoman
04-07-2017, 02:22 AM
Season 2? Well, it's the start of the downwards spiral from the show being fun in a stupid sorta way to being a full on piece of crap.

Prowler
04-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Season 2? Well, it's the start of the downwards spiral from the show being fun in a stupid sorta way to being a full on piece of crap.
I thought season 4 was the one. That was when the show became too silly and self-aware. That being said, the show was fun still.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-09-2017, 06:32 AM
I often wondered if they were planning to end Shredder and Krang. I mean they were sunk in lava, and it kind of heavily implied they were killed right there. Kind of makes me wonder how the turtles can just bust in when even lava can't melt through the technodrome.

It could've been a way of ending the series if TMNT-interest had declined during Christmas of 1988.

oldmanwinters
04-09-2017, 06:55 AM
I often wondered if they were planning to end Shredder and Krang. I mean they were sunk in lava, and it kind of heavily implied they were killed right there. Kind of makes me wonder how the turtles can just bust in when even lava can't melt through the technodrome

Krang commissioned Drakus to cover the whole thing in a "lava resistant" coating?

Prowler
04-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Yeah looking back the Technodrome sinking into lava was a bit too risky for a children's cartoon back in 1988, no? It really implied Shredder and Krang had been burned alive.

pferreira
04-13-2017, 09:35 AM
I thought season 4 was the one. That was when the show became too silly and self-aware. That being said, the show was fun still.I felt it was Season 3 but yeah by Season 4 it totally went that way. Season 2 is pretty serious and closer to what the creators and David Wise were working towards.

Yabuturtle
04-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Yeah looking back the Technodrome sinking into lava was a bit too risky for a children's cartoon back in 1988, no? It really implied Shredder and Krang had been burned alive.

If you think about it, they should be been burned anyway. Even if the Technodrome is strong enough to resist lava, the inside of it is more vulnerable. Remember, Donatello blew a hole in it with this ninja stars. That hole was still there. The lava should have seeped into the technodrome and burn Shredder and Krang

Lisardo
04-13-2017, 02:40 PM
I thought season 2 had great artwork and animation, least most of the season it did. Also I like how Leonardo's (Cam Clarke's) voice was still lower in the earlier seasons. My favorite episodes are probably the Sarnoth arc, but the catwoman ep was pretty good, as was the Baxter one.

pferreira
04-20-2017, 09:21 AM
I thought season 2 had great artwork and animation, least most of the season it did. Also I like how Leonardo's (Cam Clarke's) voice was still lower in the earlier seasons. My favorite episodes are probably the Sarnoth arc, but the catwoman ep was pretty good, as was the Baxter one.I feel the catwoman and alien eggs episode were the weakest of the season but considering how watchable those episodes are that's not bad at all.

04-20-2017, 09:28 AM
If you think about it, they should be been burned anyway. Even if the Technodrome is strong enough to resist lava, the inside of it is more vulnerable. Remember, Donatello blew a hole in it with this ninja stars. That hole was still there. The lava should have seeped into the technodrome and burn Shredder and Krang

Not if they had some kind of airlocks at some parts.

FredWolfLeonardo
04-22-2017, 02:00 AM
I don't like season 2 as much as 1,3 and 7 but I still think its a great season overall.

What I find fascinating about it is that during its time, the show wasn't well established yet as it was in season 3 so it was fun seeing the writers try out new things like making Baxter a fly and rotating Shredder's henchmen.

oldmanwinters
04-22-2017, 09:06 AM
I don't like season 2 as much as 1,3 and 7 but I still think its a great season overall.

What I find fascinating about it is that during its time, the show wasn't well established yet as it was in season 3 so it was fun seeing the writers try out new things like making Baxter a fly and rotating Shredder's henchmen.

The rotating henchmen as a great approach and I wish it was something that could have stuck around throughout the series.

Wesley
04-22-2017, 09:42 AM
I feel the catwoman and alien eggs episode were the weakest of the season but considering how watchable those episodes are that's not bad at all.

Agreed. I thought it was interesting to see the Turtles team up with Shredder (albeit, briefly), in the Killer Pizzas ep, though. I would have liked if there had been more eps like that.

04-22-2017, 09:42 AM

I also like Bebop and Rocksteady spending the first half of the seasonin the Technodrome on that rocky planet, and the second half on Earth.

Tetsu Deinonychus
04-22-2017, 10:11 AM
I think the "Eye of Sarnath" arc is one of the FW shows strongest and most iconic storylines, but it starts to slip a little after that. Season 2 was really the transition between the more "serious" and continuity based Season 1, and the more episodic and lighthearted Seasons 3-7. And, since continuity was one of the things that attracted me to the show as a kid, I was disappointed in that change.

And, yeah when the the Technodrome sank in the lava I originally took that as Shredder and Krang's death too, and thought that was the end of the show until I was surprised by a new season. I wonder is there was a stage when that was really supposed to be the finalé.

pferreira
04-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Agreed. I thought it was interesting to see the Turtles team up with Shredder (albeit, briefly), in the Killer Pizzas ep, though. I would have liked if there had been more eps like that.I really think Invasion of the Punk Frogs is underrated. I liked how Shredder tried to frame the Frogs with the Turtles and get them captured by the military. Had all the repeat appearances by the Frogs been done that way they would be remembered better by fans.

Wesley
04-28-2017, 11:06 AM
I really think Invasion of the Punk Frogs is underrated. I liked how Shredder tried to frame the Frogs with the Turtles and get them captured by the military. Had all the repeat appearances by the Frogs been done that way they would be remembered better by fans.

Agreed. Shredder was very cunning in that episode. I also liked that the Turtles chose to save the Punk Frogs from the military even though they weren't on their side.

Coola Yagami
04-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Agreed. Shredder was very cunning in that episode. I also liked that the Turtles chose to save the Punk Frogs from the military even though they weren't on their side.

I just wish they were a bit more.... awesome. They got taken down by Leatherhead so embarrassingly bad and didn't do all that much in terms of fighting in their premier episode. Even with the slapstick fighting I never believed the frogs would have posed any kind of threat against the 80's turtles in a straight up fight. When Shredder and the rest made it seem like such a big deal that Leatherhead was able to defeat all 4 armed frogs by himself, even as a kid I was kinda rolling my eyes because it didn't really seem like all that impressive of a feat.

1/2Shell
04-28-2017, 12:10 PM
Season 2 is classic.

I find all the seasons from 1-7 have some good episodes in them. Except maybe season 4. And the European Vacation episodes.

pferreira
05-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Agreed. Shredder was very cunning in that episode. I also liked that the Turtles chose to save the Punk Frogs from the military even though they weren't on their side.Yeah I know. The whole situation with them meeting and getting sleeping gassed was great fun.