PDA

View Full Version : How many episodes would a direct adaptation of the IDW series yield?

neatoman
04-04-2017, 08:23 AM
So as of now there's roughly 70 issues of the main series, roughly 10 of Universe and roughly 45 of side-series.

Assuming one issue results in one episode, you'd get roughly 125 episodes. Of course that's just assuming you wouldn't have to combine or split issues for the sake of pacing, that's where the fun part starts. How would issues get combined/split and how many episodes would that result in?

funatic
04-04-2017, 09:04 AM
I'd reckon it would average to about 2 issues per episode, maybe even 3. To compare, the 2003 series could adapt one mirage issue to fill one episode, but those issues were much longer and they still were able to flush them out with extra narrative in the show. I think the average length IDW arc (4-5 issues?) would translate nicely into 2-part episodes. At that rate I think we'd be in the first few episodes of IDW Season 3 right now. :tlol:

ProphetofGanja
04-04-2017, 10:06 AM
I think two issues per episode is a good rough estimate.

The Change is Constant arc would then be the first two episodes.

The prologue to the Enemies Old, Enemies New arc however could probably be expanded to a whole episode by itself, so that then the next episode could be two shorter stories, the Raphael and Michelangelo one-shots.

The first part of the EOEN arc could be grouped with the Donatello one-shot to comprise episode six (the Infestation arc, as is the case in the comics, could be skipped).

The final two parts of EOEN would make episode seven, the Leonardo one-shot could be included with the first half of Shadows of the Past, and the Splinter one-shot could easily be incorporated into the second half of the SotP arc as its essentially just Splinter's perspective of the same event.

And you know what, if you go ahead and include the Infestation arc then that gives you an even 10 episodes and would make a damn good first season.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-04-2017, 10:20 AM
I think two issues per episode is a good rough estimate.

The Change is Constant arc would then be the first two episodes. The prologue to the Enemies Old, Enemies New arc however could probably be expanded to a whole episode by itself, so that then the next episode could be two shorter stories, the Raphael and Michelangelo one-shots. The first part of the EOEN arc could be grouped with the Donatello one-shot to comprise episode six (the Infestation arc, as is the case in the comics, could be skipped). The final two parts of EOEN would make episode seven, the Leonardo one-shot could be included with the first half of Shadows of the Past, and the Splinter one-shot could easily be incorporated into the second half of the SotP arc as its essentially just Splinter's perspective of the same event. And you know what, if you go ahead and include the Infestation arc then that gives you an even 10 episodes and would make a damn good first season.

Yeah, you have to massage the stories around a little. Maybe come up with B-stories to fill out the micro-issues... show what the other Turtles are doing concurrently. I dunno.

ProphetofGanja
04-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Season 2:

The Casey Jones one-shot fits right in with Sins of the Fathers to make episode 1

The 2012 Annual, I suppose if it just has to be included, could be fleshed out to fill the whole of episode 2

As the April one-shot leads to Slash's escape, it would best be included with the two Blood Brothers issues to make episode 3

The Fugitoid one-shot, Krang War, Krang one-shot and Baxter Stockman one-shot are a bit trickier. They could all be mashed up and made into a movie-length feature, or they could be divided up into eindividual episodes.

The Fugitoid one-shot/Krang War I = episode 4

Krang War II and III = episode 5

Krang War IV/Krang one-shot = episode 6

The Stockman one-shot, which probably wouldn't make a whole episode itself, would be a perfect opportunity to create some new material, give us some slice-of-life scenes with the Turtles hanging out, talking about what they've been through, et cetera as an episode 7

The Secret History of the Foot Clan would make a freakin' sweet two-parter, episodes 8 and 9. Honestly that would be amazing television

The City Fall prologue could probably serve as a decent final episode to a second season if it was fleshed-out considerablywith a good B-plot, preferably something fun and light.

The whole City Fall arc and the tie-in villain one-shots could be included in a season 2 if desired, or they could be left to start season 3. It would all depend on what "studio executives" wanted, and whether or not having seasons with more/less episodes is an issue or not

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Simple way to describe it:

One season (roughly 13 episodes) per IDW Hardback.

ProphetofGanja
04-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Season 3 (I have nothing better to do so I'm gonna keep going with this)

Episode I (Controversial Placement!): I would open the season with the Alopex one-shot, because the events therein set-up some crucial plot points that come later (Alopex defying the Shredder), as well as for the fact that it wouldn't make sense for Alopex to practice fighting four Turtles when one has been captured and brain-washed, and a B-plot with the Turtles doing something and discussing the need to increase the intensity of their training could be added (because you never want a whole episode where the main characters don't show up), tying-in to the events of the last episode where Splinter schooled them all

Episode II: City Fall Part One, this could be a whole episode by itself, a lot to unpack there

Episode III: City Fall Part Two, plus the Old Hob micro towards the end, as that issue is pretty much just Hob telling Slash his life story while they wait to meet with Splinter and the three Turtles

Episode IV: City Fall Part Three. Again, a lot happens in this issue and it is deserving of a whole episode to explore and expand on the plot points therein

Episode V: begin the episode with an adaptation of the Karai one-shot, then segue into the first part of City Fall Part Four (there's quite a lot in that issue and it would probably be too much for a 22-23 minute episode of television).

Episode VI: the rest of City Fall Part Four plus the Hun one-shot. Also a good place to put more scenes of Shredder and the Foot tightening their control of NYC's criminal element, using Leo as an enforcer and such

*(Note: I didn't skip the Bebop & Rocksteady one-shot; since it covers so much time, and we see them as humans very early on, their whole story arc would be better chopped up and inserted throughout the previous few seasons, with their mutation taking place in season 3, and the scene with their first outing against the Ghost Boys definitely needing to be included)

Episode VII: City Fall Part Five, another jam-packed issue. Definitely a whole episode by itself

Episode VIII: City Fall Part Six, again a whole episode

Episode IX: City Fall Part Seven

Episode X: The Shredder one-shot, as an epilogue to the City Fall story, plus an adaptation of the first part of the first Northampton issue, as a way to set up the new status quo for the next season and whet everyone's appetites

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Man, I'd love to see the IDW series actually animated. Maybe in a short mini-series with no filler that does a 1:1 adaption of the comics, alongside that new 2018 cartoon Nick has coming out.

IDW TMNT really needs more exposure. A lot less people read comics than watch cartoons, so sadly a lot of people have never read it. Same reason Mirage and Archie are more obscure to people than the 3 cartoons.

ProphetofGanja
04-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Attempting to do a 1:1 adaptation would be unnecessarily difficult, as some issues aren't really suited for being converted into a standard ~22.5 minute TV episode. I think that's basically the whole point neatoman was making, that the stories would need to be adapted flexibly to be good television

Season 4 could be more free-form.

The Northampton arc could be expanded upon, to do some deeper characterization of the Turtles, Splinter, Casey, April and her parents, Alopex, as well as Koya, Karai and the Foot in New York, everybody.

The Utrom Empire story beats could be interspersed throughout the season, which would balance out the quieter moments of the Northampton story. More conversations between Donnie and the Fugitoid regarding the Technodrome could be included as well.

AquaParade
04-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Ugh, this would be amazing.

Bobby, you totally have the power to make this happen, no prob, right?
Awesome, thanks!

CyberCubed
04-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Attempting to do a 1:1 adaptation would be unnecessarily difficult, as some issues aren't really suited for being converted into a standard ~22.5 minute TV episode. I think that's basically the whole point neatoman was making, that the stories would need to be adapted flexibly to be good television

The Utrom Empire story beats could be interspersed throughout the season, which would balance out the quieter moments of the Northampton story. More conversations between Donnie and the Fugitoid regarding the Technodrome could be included as well.

Agreed, but I would want as little filler as possible. The extended scenes would likely be the action/fight scenes. In a comic, showing a characters punching/kicking just takes one panel, but in a cartoon the action scenes would go on for at least 15-30 seconds.

ProphetofGanja
04-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Agreed, but I would want as little filler as possible. The extended scenes would likely be the action/fight scenes. In a comic, showing a characters punching/kicking just takes one panel, but in a cartoon the action scenes would go on for at least 15-30 seconds.

Well, I wouldn't really call character development "filler", but okay. I actually think the action sequences wouldn't take up that much more time than they take to read, as they're usually rather fast-paced, so a lot can happen in a short time.

Season 5 would start with the Splinter and the Turtles getting back to New York. I think the story would flow better if the Monsters, Madmen and Misfits arc was adapted first, as it sets up a lot of important future plot points, and because the 2014 Annual leads right into the Turtles in Time mini-series where the Turtles are saturated with chrono-particles (or whatever) and so those two stories should be one after the other. So all of that would be episodes 1-9.

The New Mutant Order Prologue would be episode 10, and then since the rest of that story is so connected this season could justifiably be 13 episodes long to complete the rest of that story arc

Andrew NDB
04-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Attempting to do a 1:1 adaptation would be unnecessarily difficult, as some issues aren't really suited for being converted into a standard ~22.5 minute TV episode.

Some? Each issue would be like 5 minutes in an episode. Maybe.

Chris
04-04-2017, 01:35 PM
When Greg Weismann was doing the Gargoyles season 3 comic he said he worked on 3 issues as being an "episode" so I'd guess each 4 issue arc from IDW would be an episode if they did a direct adaptation.

neatoman
04-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Some? Each issue would be like 5 minutes in an episode. Maybe.

Andrew NDB
04-04-2017, 02:46 PM

Not really. It's not a knock on IDW, but do a read through of any one issue. Even add a few pregnant pauses for the fights. Five minutes, tops. Probably less.

snake
04-04-2017, 03:04 PM
I'd say 2/3 issues an episode. I thought about this before.

ToTheNines
04-04-2017, 06:40 PM
As the April one-shot leads to Slash's escape, it would best be included with the two Blood Brothers issues to make episode 3

The Fugitoid one-shot, Krang War, Krang one-shot and Baxter Stockman one-shot are a bit trickier. They could all be mashed up and made into a movie-length feature, or they could be divided up into eindividual episodes.

The Fugitoid one-shot/Krang War I = episode 4

Krang War II and III = episode 5

Krang War IV/Krang one-shot = episode 6

The Stockman one-shot, which probably wouldn't make a whole episode itself, would be a perfect opportunity to create some new material, give us some slice-of-life scenes with the Turtles hanging out, talking about what they've been through, et cetera as an episode 7

I agree with everything you've said, except for this cluster.

I think the April Micro needs its own episode. The ending deserves to close out an episode, and you could fill it out with down time with the turtles or whatever other characters need it. Then Blood Brothers works well as 1 episode.

The problem with combining Fugitoid with Krang War part 1 is that Fugitoid ends with that mind-blowing twist. I think you'd have to give Chet a mysterious arc throughout the whole season and probably end Blood Brothers with a stinger of Chet meeting up with Shredder. Then again, that already ends with the reveal of Hob being alive, so perhaps it just needs its own episode, interspersed with quality time with other characters.

Then just make all of Krang War two shows.

I think Krang and Stockman micros would be amazing mashed into 1 episode. Open with the scene of Krang killing the Rock Soldier trying to help him, then be immediately alerted to the Flyborg situation. The whole episode is Krang and Baxter trying to outsmart each other, Krang flashing back to what made him such a formidable warrior and Baxter flashing back to what made him such a cunning mind.

Other than that, I'd just have to go back and read City Fall again. Mainly just for the fact that the Hun issue takes place in the middle of Part V, and I remember there being a significant time jump in that one to allow for it, so it might fit better being molded to fit that one. Or maybe reworked to go earlier, like you said. I wanna reread the whole damn series tonight now!

ProphetofGanja
04-04-2017, 08:31 PM
I agree with everything you've said, except for this cluster.

I think the April Micro needs its own episode. The ending deserves to close out an episode, and you could fill it out with down time with the turtles or whatever other characters need it. Then Blood Brothers works well as 1 episode.

The problem with combining Fugitoid with Krang War part 1 is that Fugitoid ends with that mind-blowing twist. I think you'd have to give Chet a mysterious arc throughout the whole season and probably end Blood Brothers with a stinger of Chet meeting up with Shredder. Then again, that already ends with the reveal of Hob being alive, so perhaps it just needs its own episode, interspersed with quality time with other characters.

Then just make all of Krang War two shows.

I think Krang and Stockman micros would be amazing mashed into 1 episode. Open with the scene of Krang killing the Rock Soldier trying to help him, then be immediately alerted to the Flyborg situation. The whole episode is Krang and Baxter trying to outsmart each other, Krang flashing back to what made him such a formidable warrior and Baxter flashing back to what made him such a cunning mind.

Other than that, I'd just have to go back and read City Fall again. Mainly just for the fact that the Hun issue takes place in the middle of Part V, and I remember there being a significant time jump in that one to allow for it, so it might fit better being molded to fit that one. Or maybe reworked to go earlier, like you said. I wanna reread the whole damn series tonight now!

Truuuu

There are a lot of good cliff-hangers in the comics, and some of them would be great to leave the audience in suspense or shock for a week. Also a lot of points where side-stories could be added. I remember some people saying that at a certain point in IDW's run it felt like the Turtles had been running for so long, with very little downtime. And that was to highlight that really, they hadn't had much downtime because of the events they found themselves caught up in. But in a TV show it would be good to show that even though the Turtles might have only had rare stretches of free time in the sewer, antique shop, or their lair under the church, they still managed to relax and goof-off, to just be four teenage brothers. That's half the reason I want an actual good TMNT show

Mannn, I started a re-read of the whole series a few days ago. Only got through the first story arc and first couple one-shots so far, but it's still so good. I haven't read the early/middle issues in a while and I'm really looking forward to all the big plot points

ChosenOne
04-04-2017, 10:31 PM
I'm pretty sure everything up to the end of City Fall (not counting Infestation) could yield a 16-episode season of 20-minute episodes, and from there to #50 would be yet another season. Now, post #50 is where it gets tricky... We still don't know if the events of Trial of Krang/Dimension X will make for a satisfying "season finale", even though I believe they will. So it could work out that way, one season every 25 or so issues.

neatoman
04-05-2017, 04:03 AM
Not really. It's not a knock on IDW, but do a read through of any one issue. Even add a few pregnant pauses for the fights. Five minutes, tops. Probably less.

Actually, there's a channel on Youtube featuring motion comics (not very advanced by any means, it's a fan project, so it's more like it's moving the camera around rather than make the images move).

The shortest (The Leonardo Micro, one of the least heavy in the dialouge department) is, yes, roughly 6 minutes long if you ignore the intro and credits. But with those intact, these motion comics are about 14 minutes long on average, the longest being about 18 minutes long. And keep in mind, this is pretty much just people reading along with the comic, it would probably be a little longer if it was actually animated.

Just throw in a few filler scenes and you're set.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgZUFZiZAi7LIOAEg_rg7RA
Ll6s6J2JfxA

CyberCubed
04-05-2017, 12:18 PM
The best to compare this is think of manga that was adapted into anime. The Dragonball franchise is a good example. If you ignore the filler, they basically had to adapt all the panels of the manga into anime form. Some fight scenes that were only a few panels in the manga went on much longer than the anime. And this isn't counting all the filler eps/stories they made on top of that.

pferreira
04-06-2017, 09:18 AM
The problem of course is the pacing of the comic versus animated TV. An issue full of combat is going to take up less running time while an issue with a lot of dialogue is going to carry the burden of not having enough going on.

Panda_Kahn_fan
04-07-2017, 03:02 PM
I think Adaptation is the key word here. You'd have the same stories and plot points as the comic series, but the pacing and story presentation would be different. For example, the micro issues outside of the ones for the tmnt themselves could be covered in the b-plots of other episodes, or tacked as flashbacks sprinkled throughout the various episodes.

ProphetofGanja
04-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I think there would have to be a lot of shuffling around of plot points in the story-boarding process. The IDW comics would also work well as direct-to-DVD animated movies, as then each one could cover a whole story arc with whatever one-shots were relevant

Harukuro
04-07-2017, 04:48 PM
I personally feel like there is enough material for at least two seasons with twenty-six episodes for each season, but like many anime adaptations of monthly manga series there would have to be a significant wait for a possible "third season". Thankfully, with social media it can be easier to let fans know when the next season is due...so long as it's properly advertised (glares at the bizarre scheduling choices of several recent/current animated series :tgrumble:)

I can't make an exact estimate about how many issues would translate into an "episode", but I feel like the "first season" would end with the "City Fall" arc while the "second season" would end with "Vengeance". But, again, it's one thing to read issues of a comic and it's another thing entirely to adapt said comics into a different medium like animation.

I think it's safe to say they would rely on Santolouco's character designs since they have become the "face" of this TMNT universe, and they have also been used in other adaptations (i.e. the Mutants in Manhattan video game)