PDA

View Full Version : Most out of character moments in TMNT

Yabuturtle
04-05-2017, 10:33 PM
I would say that some characters will have "out of character" moments. I think one of the biggest was from April in the 1987 series

It was in Season 10 "The Beginning of the End" Where she sees the mutated Leonardo destroying everything. Instead of trying to get big stories, she wants to work on ordinary stuff as they seem safer I guess. But not only does she not seem to care that one of her best friends is mutated and destroying property and hurting people but the whole thing goes against her character, and she was always known for trying to get big stories and then does a 180. It just seemed like a big out of character moment. Not to mention, rather callous of April.

FredWolfLeonardo
04-05-2017, 11:38 PM
One moment I can think of is in season 8 of the Red Sky episodes where April begins doubting the turtles after she suspects them of working with an evil ninja gang. Also, Raphaels remarks against Leo in the episode "Turtle Trek" where he challanges his leadership like the other versions. While Red Sky did have many out of character moments, they were still interesting to watch and the characters felt the same to the core.

Prowler
04-06-2017, 12:10 AM
One moment I can think of is in season 8 of the Red Sky episodes where April begins doubting the turtles after she suspects them of working with an evil ninja gang. Also, Raphaels remarks against Leo in the episode "Turtle Trek" where he challanges his leadership like the other versions. While Red Sky did have many out of character moments, they were still interesting to watch and the characters felt the same to the core.
Yeah April doubting the Turtles was hard to buy.

Coola Yagami
04-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Yeah April doubting the Turtles was hard to buy.

Especially 10 seasons in. I mean if this was episode 3 maybe... but after hanging with them for so long?

MikeandRaph87
04-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Are we sticking with just the 1987 cartoon?

Random bits that come to mind are, Raphael stating Michaelangelo not having much to lose in Teenagers from Dimension X. Sure it was a constant thong in both 2003 cartoon and 2012 which Raphael bullies Michaelangelo making comments on his stupidity. Yet its the only time in this series.

Leonardo going soft for Lotus seems out of character even if he is more in awe of her ninja prowess.

Casey Jones matching Shredder's sword skill in Cyber Turtles.

Shredder putting himself on the line for Krang in Turtkes To The Second Power was oerhaps character growth, but seemed odd.

Rat King gainning backbone and being edgy in Wrath of the Rat King was sudden but cool.

There are others. That is what I thought of on the top of my head.

Utrommaniac
04-08-2017, 05:27 PM
I personally can believe Shredder putting himself on the line for Krang, at least at that point in his career with him.
Especially after being in Dimension X with him and going through god knows what.

Now, Krang gleefully thanking Shredder for sharing his life energy is questionable.

Prowler
04-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Especially 10 seasons in. I mean if this was episode 3 maybe... but after hanging with them for so long?
I also found it a bit out of character for Splinter an the Turtles to accept Carter in their group, a guy they had just met and who happened to read about the Foot Clan and Hamato Yoshi. How did he even know about that so late in the series?

And that episode about the Japanese kid named Yoku... Splinter and the Turtles had trained with him, what?

Are we sticking with just the 1987 cartoon?

Random bits that come to mind are, Raphael stating Michaelangelo not having much to lose in Teenagers from Dimension X. Sure it was a constant thong in both 2003 cartoon and 2012 which Raphael bullies Michaelangelo making comments on his stupidity. Yet its the only time in this series.

Leonardo going soft for Lotus seems out of character even if he is more in awe of her ninja prowess.

Casey Jones matching Shredder's sword skill in Cyber Turtles.

Shredder putting himself on the line for Krang in Turtkes To The Second Power was oerhaps character growth, but seemed odd.

Rat King gainning backbone and being edgy in Wrath of the Rat King was sudden but cool.

There are others. That is what I thought of on the top of my head.
Raphael made jokes about Michelangelo in the FW series often. They didn't fight nor did he "bully" him like in the 2k3 series, but he'd make jokes about him in several episodes.

Eh now that you mention it, Casey matching Shredder in sword ability is quite strange. How come I've never stopped to think about that? Good shout.

The Rat King having a backbone and telling Shredder and Krang to **** off wasn't out of character, imo. He's always had a bit of a mercenary nature to him... but I do wonder how he found out the Turtles Lair... hell how come several characters found out the Turtles Lair but NEVER told Shredder, Krang or Dregg? Lotus, the Rat King and Chronos all knew the location of their Lair.

I personally can believe Shredder putting himself on the line for Krang, at least at that point in his career with him.
Especially after being in Dimension X with him and going through god knows what.

Now, Krang gleefully thanking Shredder for sharing his life energy is questionable.
Yeah, my theory is that, spending time alone and lost in Dimension X they had to learn to tolerate each other. Remember that Shredder always planned to betray Krang in the end... but oddly enough not so much the other way around. Which is funny since Shredder was way more dependant on Krang due to his resources than Krang was on Shredder. And considering Krang had such a reputation for being a tyrannical warlord... I don't recall him ever trying to off/betray Shredder

Coola Yagami
04-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I remember that Yoku episode. So jarring.

I did find it weird having shredder and krang be so nice to each other on their last outing. It's been a long series for them so I guess they became friends in the end. I can kinda see krang thanking shredder for saving him, it's the only time I can recall krang ever being so close to death and shredder did stop to save him instead of just saying himself.

Prowler
04-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I remember that Yoku episode. So jarring.

I did find it weird having shredder and krang be so nice to each other on their last outing. It's been a long series for them so I guess they became friends in the end. I can kinda see krang thanking shredder for saving him, it's the only time I can recall krang ever being so close to death and shredder did stop to save him instead of just saying himself.
There seems to be lots of inconsistencies regarding the Foot Clan and Splinter's and Shredder's past in the FW series. I've also wondered why Shredder had such a honorable brother but a criminal mother... how are there even senior centres for retired supervillains? :lol:

And as I said, it was also odd to see Krang calling Dregg "mad" when Krang had also done lots of mad acts before.

Coola Yagami
04-08-2017, 06:40 PM
There seems to be lots of inconsistencies regarding the Foot Clan and Splinter's and Shredder's past in the FW series. I've also wondered why Shredder had such a honorable brother but a criminal mother... how are there even senior centres for retired supervillains? :lol:

And as I said, it was also odd to see Krang calling Dregg "mad" when Krang had also done lots of mad acts before.

Cause it's not mad when he does it. :lol:

Yabuturtle
04-08-2017, 06:54 PM
I also found it a bit out of character for Splinter an the Turtles to accept Carter in their group, a guy they had just met and who happened to read about the Foot Clan and Hamato Yoshi. How did he even know about that so late in the series?

And that episode about the Japanese kid named Yoku... Splinter and the Turtles had trained with him, what?

Raphael made jokes about Michelangelo in the FW series often. They didn't fight nor did he "bully" him like in the 2k3 series, but he'd make jokes about him in several episodes.

Eh now that you mention it, Casey matching Shredder in sword ability is quite strange. How come I've never stopped to think about that? Good shout.

The Rat King having a backbone and telling Shredder and Krang to **** off wasn't out of character, imo. He's always had a bit of a mercenary nature to him... but I do wonder how he found out the Turtles Lair... hell how come several characters found out the Turtles Lair but NEVER told Shredder, Krang or Dregg? Lotus, the Rat King and Chronos all knew the location of their Lair.

Yeah, my theory is that, spending time alone and lost in Dimension X they had to learn to tolerate each other. Remember that Shredder always planned to betray Krang in the end... but oddly enough not so much the other way around. Which is funny since Shredder was way more dependant on Krang due to his resources than Krang was on Shredder. And considering Krang had such a reputation for being a tyrannical warlord... I don't recall him ever trying to off/betray Shredder

Krang did kind of betray Shredder in episode 5 when they were sent back to Dimension X. They were more like partners. It was supposed to be a partnership but Krang says that he's absolute master in Dimension X and Shredder will do his bidding, to which Shredder angrily replies "The Shredder takes orders from no one!"

ToTheNines
04-09-2017, 05:47 AM
Leonardo quitting the team after one bad dream comes to mind.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Rambo-Irma in "Shredder Triumphant"

Rooish
04-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Don seems a little off in both Mirage Volume 1 TMNT #37 and TMNT #43.

In the former, he has this spiritual revelation and completely loses his mind and thinks himself a shaman. This seems... a little unlikely for someone level headed and rational like Donatello.

Also, in 43 he goes entirely the opposite way. While attempting a spiritual exercise that, given his upbringing, Don should have no trouble with, he alternates between petulant and goofy. Even Mikey does better than him. Just seems unusual.

And Raphael's personality is pretty weird in The River trilogy. I almost think the story should be Mikey's.

Wesley
04-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Mikey being scolded a lot by the other Turtles for goofing off in "Havoc in the Streets".

Jephael
04-10-2017, 02:27 AM
Donatello spazzing out in a couple 1992 episodes, especially the one where Vernon's nephew creates the device that pulls the Earth closer to the sun. It's like, jeez Don, cool your jets!

pferreira
04-13-2017, 08:31 AM
Leonardo quitting the team after one bad dream comes to mind.That was a long time coming, I think that nightmare was the final straw.

ToTheNines
04-13-2017, 08:35 AM
If I had limited internet access, I'd sure make better use of it than just trolling.

pferreira
04-13-2017, 09:40 AM
If I had limited internet access, I'd sure make better use of it than just trolling.It's people like you that make fandom so great. :roll:

DestronMirage22
04-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Rambo-Irma in "Shredder Triumphant"

Or how about the way she acted in the Mutant Turtles Gaiden manga? :teek:

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 09:49 AM
I can't really look to the cartoons or such... since those are all "out of character moments," as far as I'm concerned.

Don seems a little off in both Mirage Volume 1 TMNT #37 and TMNT #43.

In the former, he has this spiritual revelation and completely loses his mind and thinks himself a shaman. This seems... a little unlikely for someone level headed and rational like Donatello. And by #37 he'd already seen plenty of magic and weird sh*t. He's not, like, Scully, or something.

Also, in 43 he goes entirely the opposite way. While attempting a spiritual exercise that, given his upbringing, Don should have no trouble with, he alternates between petulant and goofy. Even Mikey does better than him. Just seems unusual.

He didn't just grab a cloak and decide that's what he's doing. He was directly being influenced by the specter of the Great Turtle. Hard to refute what you can actively sense, feel and see. And by #37, he's already seen plenty of magic, and weird sh*t. Donatello isn't, like, Scully.

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 09:51 AM
And Raphael's personality is pretty weird in The River trilogy. I almost think the story should be Mikey's.

I don't see how.

What annoys me to no end, what's one of my biggest annoyances in the TMNT fandom is how so many people buy into and subscribe to the McTMNT™ pigeonholing of the TMNT that began with FW. i.e., if anyone has anything remotely leader-y to say, it has to be Leonardo, because he's the Leadery One. If someone needs to be the one to get mad in a conversation, it has to be Raph, because he's the Angry One. If someone needs to remark on something techy or brainy, surely it has to be Donatello, because he's the Geeky One. Something funny or a joke? Gotta be Michelangelo, because he's the Funny One. Now if Leonardo were to get mad, or Donatello to make a leadership suggestion? WHOAAA!!! That's so out of character, dude!

Vastly stupid. It's like the fandom is fully content with their Turtles being 1 dimensional.

ToTheNines
04-13-2017, 10:00 AM
What annoys me to no end, what's one of my biggest annoyances in the TMNT fandom is how so many people buy into and subscribe to the McTMNT™ pigeonholing of the TMNT that began with FW. i.e., if anyone has anything remotely leader-y to say, it has to be Leonardo, because he's the Leadery One. If someone needs to be the one to get mad in a conversation, it has to be Raph, because he's the Angry One. If someone needs to remark on something techy or brainy, surely it has to be Donatello, because he's the Geeky One. Something funny or a joke? Gotta be Michelangelo, because he's the Funny One. Now if Leonardo were to get mad, or Donatello to make a leadership suggestion? WHOAAA!!! That's so out of character, dude!

Vastly stupid. It's like the fandom is fully content with their Turtles being 1 dimensional.

Peter himself is very guilty of this. In his published emails with Lloyd Goldfine, he would constantly shoot things out of the scripts like Leo cracking wise, Don getting pissed, etc.

Utrommaniac
04-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Thank you IDW, for having Donatello completely lose his sh*t over no one treating the Technodrome like the threat it was and focusing on the "turf war".

And Michelangelo's conflicts of morality.

ProphetofGanja
04-13-2017, 12:24 PM

I agree with all that. I like to see the Turtles' individual personalities highlighted, but not reduced to one-dimension.

I like when Leo says something funny, it's great. I appreciate though that in IDW, when he or his brothers are "on-duty", he's all business, very serious, but in their rare downtime, he can kick back finally and be an actual teenager.

I've liked seeing Donnie get mad almost as much as Raph, or when Mikey is the one to call out all his brothers for bickering and getting distracted, when he's often portrayed as the eternally goofy, off-task Turtle. And anytime I get to see Raph crack a joke without also being mad is welcome.

Thank you IDW, for having Donatello completely lose his sh*t over no one treating the Technodrome like the threat it was and focusing on the "turf war".

And Michelangelo's conflicts of morality.

Those were pretty great moments. That's how you do characterization

sdp
04-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Turtles Forever.

IndigoErth
04-13-2017, 12:53 PM
If any version counts... I'm still resentful of how the first PD movie (and its Jackass voice replacement) made Leo come across when he throws a big arm around so-called "April" and is all, "Heeeey... glad you could make it."

Thanks. Thanks for making my fave guy in this franchise - a respectful, well mannered, honorable character - sound like some guy who wants to get you into the back of his windowless van, after which you may never be seen again. Did not enjoy being made to feel like telling Megan Fox to run away, and from him of all people. Thanks for that.

That's one of the biggest out of character offenses I can think of. Some others may be bad or ridiculous, but that was despicable. Better film makers could have focused her fear of them purely from her own perspective and misplaced fears, not by making them actually look bad.

Turtles Forever.
Yeah, definitely have to agree there.

I saw Turtles Forever before I watched the 2003 series. It set me up to expect those Turtles may have jerky personalities. :ohwell: Was glad it turned out not to be the case. Turtles Forever may have tried to make '87 look bad, but it wasn't flattering for 2003 either.

that began with FW.
I dunno, to the FW series' credit, they do sometimes turn to Donnie like, "What do we do, Donatello??" Leo may be leader and have the responsibility of calling the shots a lot of time, but Donnie is also an ideas guy (and giving him some leadership through that) when the necessary strategies require something that is out of Leo's hands.

I agree, I like them all to have fuller personalities. Although I don't want to see them all merge into being basically duplicates of the same character either. They've got their typical 'mode' that is who they are, but they should all be characters who are capable of having other sides and emotions. Though I wouldn't agree that this doesn't show up at times.

Leo being Mr. Serious a lot, it just makes his own jokes, smiles and laughs all the more sincere; I love that. Then there is the hidden raging bull in him when he IS pissed (not appearing in all versions obviously), when something has just pushed him to that breaking point. (I think he's most fit being a Capricorn, but that boy has a Taurus' anger. lol Slow to get there, but watch out if he does.)

LeotheLateBloomer
04-13-2017, 01:10 PM
If any version counts... I'm still resentful of how the first PD movie (and its Jackass voice replacement) made Leo come across when he throws a big arm around so-called "April" and is all, "Heeeey... glad you could make it."

Thanks. Thanks for making my fave guy in this franchise - a respectful, well mannered, honorable character - sound like some guy who wants to get you into the back of his windowless van, after which you may never be seen again. Did not enjoy being made to feel like telling Megan Fox to run away, and from him of all people. Thanks for that.

That's one of the biggest out of character offenses I can think of. Some others may be bad or ridiculous, but that was despicable. Better film makers could have focused her fear of them purely from her own perspective and misplaced fears, not by making them actually look bad.

More so than how he treated his brothers regarding the purple ooze turning them into humans in Out of the Shadows because that would seem more offensive.

IndigoErth
04-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Agree that does suck too, though I get that he's got his reasons and fears for why he reacted the way he did. (And why I still think the other incident from the first is worse imo, as it has no basis in why he'd come across creepy like that, other than the fact that the writers just wanted us to feel April's fear of them and did it in the poorest and laziest way possible.)

This one at least goes back to a vague arc for Leo/them that the film sets up from the very beginning with the failure of their attempted training exercise. ("I thought you said squirrel formation.") He's not happy with how they are performing as a team, and this remains true for much of the film.

(Although why they'd even fumble on teamwork now after taking down Shredder and others together last time is kind of stupid.)

He's struggling to handle it, esp after the failure of not stopping Shredder from escaping, and taking it hard that he can't get them working better as a team. Splinter tells him that as long as he keeps "the team unified, and you shall always succeed." And then along comes this new mutagen that is a threat of tearing the team/family apart... So much for keeping unified as Splinter requested.

Looking at the underlying reasons of why he would react as he did, in my view, it isn't just "Leo is being a jerk, the end." I don't take him as being a jerk in that, but was he wrong in how he handled it? Yes. (And to his own fault, Splinter could have guided him a bit better and shared some of the blame, given what he says to Leo in the novelization that wasn't included in the film's dialogue.) But he did so out of his own fear and concerns; for both his family and a loss of control that could result in him failing to do the job asked of him. Not helped by "Keep the team unified..." from rat dad earlier in it. It's all aiming at one of Leo's biggest flaws, his fear of failure.

That one quiet arc, that the average non-fan viewer may not even notice, is one thing I have to give that film a little credit for. When everything else this company tried to write is so over the top, in this one way they somewhat managed to weave a subtle underlying story with a little bit of depth into it. (Even if team work problems randomly occurring now was kind of dumb.)

Jephael
04-13-2017, 02:08 PM

This is one of the few things you and I truly agree on 100%. Infact I just bought a TMNT beach towel the other day at Wal*Mart, and guess which of the four Turtles happened to have an angry scowl while the other three were smirking? For once it was Michelangelo. The whole time I can't help but picture a certain someone from the fandom saying "No, that's not how Mikey's supposed to be."

LeotheLateBloomer
04-13-2017, 02:12 PM
I never looked at it that way. You make a very good point.

That one quiet arc, that the average non-fan viewer may not even notice, is one thing I have to give that film a little credit for. When everything else this company tried to write is so over the top, in this one way they somewhat managed to weave a subtle underlying story with a little bit of depth into it. (Even if team work problems randomly occurring now was kind of dumb.)

While you're not wrong about this, at the same time compared to the first film as horrendous as that plot was, this one I felt had no plot but random events occurring within each scene which didn't feel coherent.

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 02:46 PM
One reason Fred Wolf Donatello stands out is because he has one of the biggest tempers of all the Donatello's, and he actually acts like the leader more than Leonardo in many episodes. Seriously, in almost every episode all the Turtles would turn to Donatello in how to save the day or stop something from happening, rather than Leonardo.

Jephael
04-13-2017, 02:56 PM
One reason Fred Wolf Donatello stands out is because he has one of the biggest tempers of all the Donatello's, and he actually acts like the leader more than Leonardo in many episodes. Seriously, in almost every episode all the Turtles would turn to Donatello in how to save the day or stop something from happening, rather than Leonardo.

That was most likely due to the more sci-fi oriented aspect of the series. Had the show been more centered around taking on crime syndicates and such like other interpretations, then Leo would have been far more take-charge.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-13-2017, 05:19 PM
This is one of the few things you and I truly agree on 100%. Infact I just bought a TMNT beach towel the other day at Wal*Mart, and guess which of the four Turtles happened to have an angry scowl while the other three were smirking? For once it was Michelangelo. The whole time I can't help but picture a certain someone from the fandom saying "No, that's not how Mikey's supposed to be."

LOL I think I may have that same towel. I thought it was interesting that he was the one with the fierce look while the others all have smiles or look like they are laughing. Truth be told I love it when they have other sides to them as it makes them all the more relatable.

Rooish
04-13-2017, 05:25 PM
I don't see how.

Oh my God, what a soap box.

I think most fans can understand the characters are more than just Leader, Angry Dude, Nerd and Jokester. You know I don't really like the Fred Wolf series right? My problem with all those issues was that the characters acted a bit off in what seemed like attempts to advance the plot. But you can just continue arguing against a straw man.

It's all subjective and the characters seem off to me in your fan fictions sometimes, too.

On an unrelated note, I forgot the most ooc moment ever. Mikey becoming a pro genocide advocate in volume 4! I guess that's what trauma can do to you. But I liked it better when he was written by Murphy to rescue that guy who tortured him. True strength of spirit there.

IndigoErth
04-13-2017, 06:10 PM
I never looked at it that way. You make a very good point.

While you're not wrong about this, at the same time compared to the first film as horrendous as that plot was, this one I felt had no plot but random events occurring within each scene which didn't feel coherent.
Yeah, definitely agree. I don't know how they can manage to do a little better on trying to focus on the brothers a bit more, which I do appreciate and like about it, but then the rest of the entire film is just a mishmash that never amounts to much. Maybe these writers should have taken up different careers.

cammy85
04-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Mikey being scolded a lot by the other Turtles for goofing off in "Havoc in the Streets".

I was just going to mention that!! I hated that part of the episode!! Sure, it was essential to the plot, but still. I can understand if he did that while Shredder and Krang were an active threat at the moment, but after what Titanus and co. had done in the previous episode, why did Michaelangelo suddenly decide to start goofing off?

Netkeeper
04-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Peter himself is very guilty of this. In his published emails with Lloyd Goldfine, he would constantly shoot things out of the scripts like Leo cracking wise, Don getting pissed, etc.
In Peter's defence, in many contexts, those were lines that literally look like another turtle's precise dialogue. If a line is very slangy, Leo is probably not the name that should be above it

Rooish
04-14-2017, 08:21 PM
In Peter's defence, in many contexts, those were lines that literally look like another turtle's precise dialogue. If a line is very slangy, Leo is probably not the name that should be above it

Peter also prevented many completely nonsensical plot elements. And although he did spend a lot of time making sure no other Turtle acted like Mikey, that was probably a good thing as one is enough. And although I disliked that Mikey was always the doofus, the series did a pretty good job at rounding him out and giving him some development. At least he was a damn good fighter--probably second best after Leo.

I think there are many moments in the franchise where Don makes leadership decisions or gets pissed off (particularly in Mirage and in the Fred Wolf series). Leo had goofy moments that weren't too put of character in the 1990 movie, as did Don. Raph is usually kind of the same but Fred Wolf gave us an interesting interpretation, and he's practically the only sane one / straight man in the Nick toon. So all the Turtles have had variation and development outside of their archetypes in nearly every incarnation. As dumb as Michaelangelo could be in Fred Wolf, at least he stopped just being a background character like in Mirage.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-14-2017, 08:23 PM
On an unrelated note, I forgot the most ooc moment ever. Mikey becoming a pro genocide advocate in volume 4! I guess that's what trauma can do to you. But I liked it better when he was written by Murphy to rescue that guy who tortured him. True strength of spirit there.

100% agree with this.

CyberCubed
04-14-2017, 08:34 PM
As dumb as Michaelangelo could be in Fred Wolf, at least he stopped just being a background character like in Mirage.

Original cartoon Mikey was never really portrayed as "dumb" like Nick Mikey, he was just laid back with everything.

Rooish
04-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Original cartoon Mikey was never really portrayed as "dumb" like Nick Mikey, he was just laid back with everything.

Well... I think he had his moments. Like he was a pizza loving caricature sometimes. I guess dumb is the wrong term, but single mindedly simple is?

IndigoErth
04-14-2017, 08:51 PM
Been slowly giving the original another watch, and honestly, while he himself doesn't really act all that dumb (most of the time), it's surprising how often his brothers (esp Raph) do make jokes against his level of intelligence. Poor Mikey. lol

Shame what Nick has done though. Any dumber and he'd just be left home. Hopefully he'll regain some in the brains department someday in some other series.

Coola Yagami
04-14-2017, 09:43 PM
I was just going to mention that!! I hated that part of the episode!! Sure, it was essential to the plot, but still. I can understand if he did that while Shredder and Krang were an active threat at the moment, but after what Titanus and co. had done in the previous episode, why did Michaelangelo suddenly decide to start goofing off?

It was so OOC because due to Red Sky being all serious and whatnot (i guess) Mikey WASN'T goofing around. But all of a sudden he just.... was in this episode which was the fourth or so in the season. They kept picking on him and even when he got serious they were like 'see what you can accomplish when you're not goofing around?'. I'd be like 'well **** you too dudes.'

Yabuturtle
04-15-2017, 12:07 AM
I think another out of character moment is with Krang in the Nick episode Transdimensional Turtles. He is mostly portrayed accurately but he was trying to wipe out the turtles no matter what, even going so far as destroying entire dimensions

in the old cartoon, he didn't care about the turtles or splinter. Even when he was beaten, he was more concerned about ruling everything than revenge. I don't even think OT Shredder would do what Krang was trying to do, since Krang wants to rule, not destroy. The only thing we know he destroyed was Beserko's homeworld, so his relatives would not come after him.

The only one I think would try to destroy dimensions is Chrell in Turtles Forever and that wasn't his original intention. He just wanted the original turtles gone, but didn't know that by doing that, he would destroy everything, including himself, but then at that point, he no longer cared and wanted the turtles killed even if it meant destroying himself.

That and Krang is supposed to have been banished because he was incompetent. If you look at the OT, a lot of Krang's ideas would have worked if it were not for Shredder's obsession with revenge, or Bebop and Rocksteady's incompetence.

cammy85
04-15-2017, 09:52 AM
It was so OOC because due to Red Sky being all serious and whatnot (i guess) Mikey WASN'T goofing around. But all of a sudden he just.... was in this episode which was the fourth or so in the season. They kept picking on him and even when he got serious they were like 'see what you can accomplish when you're not goofing around?'. I'd be like 'well **** you too dudes.'

It wasn't so much goofing around, just that he gets easily distracted all of a sudden; even with the very active threat from HAVOC at the moment. Now that you mention it, that line from Raphael was pretty out of line for sure!! They brushed it off because of the very real threat and mystery of Titanus at the moment.

I think another out of character moment is with Krang in the Nick episode Transdimensional Turtles. He is mostly portrayed accurately but he was trying to wipe out the turtles no matter what, even going so far as destroying entire dimensions

in the old cartoon, he didn't care about the turtles or splinter. Even when he was beaten, he was more concerned about ruling everything than revenge. I don't even think OT Shredder would do what Krang was trying to do, since Krang wants to rule, not destroy. The only thing we know he destroyed was Beserko's homeworld, so his relatives would not come after him.

I think they were trying to tie him to Krang in the Archie series. Before Trans-Dimensional Turtles labeled him a screwup, he was originally banished because he destroyed a lot of worlds. While Shredder and co. were doing their thing on Earth, Krang was off destroying worlds; including Wingnut and Screwloose's; all in search of the Turnstone. So it was out of character for OT Krang, but not AC Krang.

LeotheLateBloomer
04-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Been slowly giving the original another watch, and honestly, while he himself doesn't really act all that dumb (most of the time), it's surprising how often his brothers (esp Raph) do make jokes against his level of intelligence. Poor Mikey. lol

Shame what Nick has done though. Any dumber and he'd just be left home. Hopefully he'll regain some in the brains department someday in some other series.

Has there ever been an episode from the OT where they took a crack at Leo or Raph? For Raph, the only ones I can think of is when Don responded to him that they'll escape through the House of Ha-Has trap door and where they made fun of him as a pirate. Usually it's either Don or Mike who got made fun of.

IndigoErth
04-15-2017, 06:08 PM
Yeah, off the top of my head, I think Raph and Leo only tend to get picked on when they've got some kind of 'issue' or quirky ambition in an episode that's centered on them. Raph when he decided he wanted a career as a comedian and, I think the one you mentioned, when he got into disguises, which I think was part of a momentary wish to be a detective or something like that? Unless that was another ep. I think Leo's moments usually come when he's a little out of his mind, such as when he believed he was one of the Three Musketeers or when he was affected by some personality changing device and just wanting to goof off.

pferreira
04-20-2017, 09:28 AM
One reason Fred Wolf Donatello stands out is because he has one of the biggest tempers of all the Donatello's, and he actually acts like the leader more than Leonardo in many episodes. Seriously, in almost every episode all the Turtles would turn to Donatello in how to save the day or stop something from happening, rather than Leonardo.What I really appreciate about Fred Wolf Donatello is that they wrote him as having his own agenda and ambitions. He wasn't laid back, he was nervous, paranoid and not afraid to speak his mind. Barry Gordon did an excellent job bringing the character to life.

Original cartoon Mikey was never really portrayed as "dumb" like Nick Mikey, he was just laid back with everything.Compared to 2003 Mikey 1980s Mikey is completely sane and with it. :o