PDA

View Full Version : Live Action Anime: the good and the bad (mainly bad)

Allio
04-06-2017, 10:53 AM
So from the "Ghost in the Shell" thread we started talking about other live action attempts. And how 9/10 they are pretty bad.

So, what are your list for good and bad?

Good:
Ruroni Kenshin
Death Note (Japanese)
Kaiji
Edge of Tomorrow: live. Die. Repeat

Bad:
Dragon Ball evolution
Gatchaman
Attack on Titan
Yatterman
Casshern
Ousama Game
Assassination Classroom
Guyver

Other notes:
Though I am in the minority, I enjoyed Kikaider Reboot.
Liar's game and Kamen Teacher are fun, though KT deviates a lot from the source material.

Future:
Full metal alchemist looks bad
Polymer looks good, though it seems to be doing it the Tokusatsu way rather than its fellow heroes

MsMarvelDuckie
04-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Full metal could go either way depending on writing/casting/worldbuilding choices. I love the anime but it would have to be handled carefully.

CyberCubed
04-06-2017, 06:23 PM
This made me remember they're making a live-action pokemon movie, but they're basing it on that Detective Pikachu spinoff game rather than any of the main games. God, that upcoming live action Pokemon movie sounds horrible, not to mention most people have no idea what "Detective Pikachu" even is since the game never came out outside of Japan

MsMarvelDuckie
04-06-2017, 06:32 PM
What else do you expect from a LA Pokemon film? Digimon has more rivetting stoeies and characters, and would make a better movie.

ProactiveMan
04-06-2017, 06:52 PM
I remember liking Guyver Dark Hero.

Anyone seen the live-action Fist of the North Star?

http://i.imgur.com/gjwoSyS.gif

MsMarvelDuckie
04-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Watch the LA Death Note. It will restore your faith and hope my child!

ProphetofGanja
04-06-2017, 07:31 PM
This made me remember they're making a live-action pokemon movie, but they're basing it on that Detective Pikachu spinoff game rather than any of the main games. God, that upcoming live action Pokemon movie sounds horrible, not to mention most people have no idea what "Detective Pikachu" even is since the game never came out outside of Japan

I really wanted them to cast Danny DeVito as Detective Pikachu

Powder
04-06-2017, 09:08 PM
The Princess Jellyfish adaption is really good for what it is. I mean, it's obviously low budget, but they got everything just right. Otherwise, meh. They're pretty much all booty.

sdp
04-06-2017, 09:19 PM
The Live Action show of Hell Girl/Jigoku Shoujo while not as great provides a decent adaptation with an interesting twist.

I recently saw the Ranma 1/2 live action film and it was pretty bad.

I've heard that the Sailor Moon live action show is pretty cool as is the Phoenix Wright movie.

I've read mixed reviews of the Jap Death Note but I guess I'll check it out soon, I'm a bit hyped for the Netflix version.

I definitely think live action can work for anime but it really depends on the anime, the more realistic the easier, I could never envision something like Dragon Ball getting a decent adaptation.

Coola Yagami
04-07-2017, 12:10 AM
The Live Action show of Hell Girl/Jigoku Shoujo while not as great provides a decent adaptation with an interesting twist.

I recently saw the Ranma 1/2 live action film and it was pretty bad.

I've heard that the Sailor Moon live action show is pretty cool as is the Phoenix Wright movie.

I've read mixed reviews of the Jap Death Note but I guess I'll check it out soon, I'm a bit hyped for the Netflix version.

I definitely think live action can work for anime but it really depends on the anime, the more realistic the easier, I could never envision something like Dragon Ball getting a decent adaptation.

Dragonball can be done. It just has be.... Dragonball. Whoever did DBE tried to do the 'let's bring this into the real world' nonsense that really shouldn't be done when adapting any type of animated series. Especially if the series in question DOESN'T TAKE PLACE IN OUR WORLD.

DestronMirage22
04-08-2017, 12:12 AM
Tried watching Dragonball Evolution and the Assassination Classroom movie, didn't get far in either. Guess animes are better off as animation. :ohwell:

turtle1237
04-10-2017, 12:40 PM
I enjoy the live action Kite move. It was good. Not great, but it was good.