PDA

View Full Version : My Little Pony: The Movie

TigerClaw
04-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Lionsgate and Hasbro teamed up for My Little Pony: The Movie, an animated film based on the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic series.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/animated_features/my-little-pony-the-movie-starring-emily-blunt-and-zoe-saldana-gets-a-colorful-first-teaser-trailer-a150190

vvbowl8_k4Y

FredWolfLeonardo
04-06-2017, 05:58 PM
I love the FiM show, so I'm sure I'll love this movie when I see it on the big screen. From the way its advertised, it seems like this movie could the finale for the show, as season 7 will probably end by the time the movie comes out.

In total, mlp FiM has given us at the very least, 7 seasons with 169 episodes, 4 spin off movies and one feature film coming out. That's quite a legacy for something that started out as a toy commercial.

Wildcat
04-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Really looking forward to this. I love the show.

I know this might be the finale but I hope it's not.

LeotheLateBloomer
04-06-2017, 10:40 PM
The hype is real! Still watch the show to this day.

I didn't read anything about this being the finale.

Coola Yagami
04-06-2017, 11:02 PM
I'm sure this will be awesome news for about... 20 girls, and 40 billion guys.

Slade
04-06-2017, 11:16 PM

Right? I'll never understand it either.

Allio
04-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Not really hard to understand, a good show is a good show, and some people don't let things like asthetics get to them

Utrommaniac
04-07-2017, 12:01 AM
It looks like it might be using G1 characters...I may have dropped out, but I still recognize some of the redesigns by fans enough to know that Fire Fly is in there.

Coola Yagami
04-07-2017, 12:01 AM
I don't know. I've heard from some people that it is a good show but I just personally don't care. Besides, even if it was a good show, how would you know? How many grown men randomly watch shows aimed at little girls just in case they happened to be turn out to be good shows?

Allio
04-07-2017, 12:27 AM
honestly dropped MLP at the 100th episode, moved on with Ever After High...now that's some good ****. Before the rebranding, it was essentially Kamen Rider Gaim of little girl's cartoons.

It just has that right type of ****ed up situation where none of the characters are allowed to have happy childhoods. I find the characters so deep that I could almost drown in them (especially Ginger Breadhouse.)

Wildcat
04-07-2017, 01:04 AM
I don't know. I've heard from some people that it is a good show but I just personally don't care. Besides, even if it was a good show, how would you know? How many grown men randomly watch shows aimed at little girls just in case they happened to be turn out to be good shows?I personally thought it looked cute and watched a couple episodes out of curiosity since it didn't seem like kindergarten material.

Don't you ever just check something out for the fun of it? Who cares who it's "supposed to be for" ?

Allio
04-07-2017, 01:21 AM
I don't know. I've heard from some people that it is a good show but I just personally don't care. Besides, even if it was a good show, how would you know? How many grown men randomly watch shows aimed at little girls just in case they happened to be turn out to be good shows?

With regarding Ever After High, I caught an ad on Youtube. It essentially just said that if you don't act like a puppet and follow your lines, you die. So curious, I watch the first season of the show (about 45 minutes) and found the story to catch my attention.

I picked the first Ever After High book (which goes deeper into the first season) and got hooked with the characters and stories, and finding out the mysteries of the world. and despite the rebranding, I'm (for the most part) am enjoying the series 15 books in.

From character's past, to the bestiality, to Bella and Brutta, the death of Blue Fairy's daughter, to a god that is just ****ing with her creations, the series seems to have it all for me.

and it's a goldmine for theories for me (and I don't really jump on the theory wagons)

Shark_Blade
04-07-2017, 04:22 AM

It's a different era now, guys can like fluffy and cute stuff.

MLP is not my thing, but for the guys liking it: enjoy.

TigerClaw
04-07-2017, 08:25 AM
They have a name for this fanbase, They call them Bronies.

TMNT_Guy
04-07-2017, 09:33 AM
This could be the closest thing to a classic Disney-esque film since The Princess and the Frog in 2009, or the Winnie the Pooh movie in 2011, what with the 2D animation and musical numbers. Definitely looking forward to taking my niece to see it.

If the animation looks off to anyone, it's because the trailer people for whatever reason apparently messed up on the conversion process.

"They didn't convert the 16 bit images to 8 bit properly and it crushed all the shadows. I'm so depressed (https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IJ9GDJjibV0/WOZ_tnmy-DI/AAAAAAAB0Hc/LEL6FrixeikG-1fQ84hya3zC6AsTF_YtwCLcB/s1600/Capture.PNG)." explains MLP: the Movie's art director Rebecca Dart on Twitter, also commenting with "I never would have approved this. The animation looks so much better than this, trust me (https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AcmdMd1H8tw/WOZ_3xf6U_I/AAAAAAAB0Hg/1pDNN9HPTJASgzqGUEn4AJ0K-jeSVNIhwCLcB/s1600/Capture.PNG)."

LeotheLateBloomer
04-07-2017, 09:49 AM

I'm pretty sure everyone knows this by now. I myself love this show but I don't see myself as something of a die-hard fan. It's very enjoyable and can be outright amusing at times. One of the earlier episodes I remember is when an anvil and piano fell on Twilight for trying to figure out Pinkie Pie's senses.:lol:

Prowler
04-08-2017, 06:57 PM
I, too, always found it weird how so many grown men are into this show. I believe you if you say it has surprisingly good writing for a cartoon aimed at little girls... but what exactly is good writing for a cartoon with such target demographics? I mean, I also have liked shows targeted at female audiences before such as Nana and Sailor Moon before but those series are not aimed at 5 year old girls.

Maybe it all started as a joke and then word spread and thus got more grown men interested in it? I wonder if Winx Club had lots of male fans back in the day as well.

Coola Yagami
04-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Exactly. One doesn't exactly see what is essentially a show for little girls and decide 'hmmm I think I'll watch it just in case it's secretly a good show'. Just like little girls that are into girly stuff wouldn't randomly watch Spawn and just in case there's a cuddly teddy bear in there somewhere.

I just never got into. Nowadays when I browse for new shows or series I tend to go for action packed or at least interesting anime.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-08-2017, 07:21 PM
The ponies look cute, and have cute voices. That's the best guess I can make.

IndigoErth
04-08-2017, 08:08 PM
For a min I almost thought an unknown one in the trailer might have been Firefly from back in the day... Has a moon or something on her butt though, not a lightning bolt. Darn.

I admit this cartoon has grown on me. (I swear though, if this or the series does not address Scootaloo's family absence... lol)

sdp
04-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Is it really a good show though?

I remember when the Hub premiered the hit surprise show ended up being My Little Pony and everyone in /co/ loved it mostly because of the reaction images they were getting and it was a cute show. I tried to love the show but it never clicked like it did with other people. Eventually all these umm...let's call them bronies took the show a little too seriously and then the opinion of the show turned from awesome to creepy. Odd how it happened since originally it was kind of an anticulture thing that made the show cool but then that became into just something like furries.

I only watched the first two seasons which had the original creator of the show and I might've finished the third season but that was it. It was a cute show but that's about it and doesn't deserve so many episodes. Isn't the movie a little too late? Even bronies have kind of died down in recent years and in general the show isn't as hot as it was when it came out or the years following.

Not really hard to understand, a good show is a good show, and some people don't let things like asthetics get to them

Utrommaniac
04-08-2017, 10:30 PM
I think Lauren Faust was only involved in the first season and the premier of the second.

And I also think I'm the one that spread the fandom to my boyfriend and the other boys I hung out with in high school (thanks to the Autistic Support group making me the only girl most of the time). I fell out around season...fiiiiive? I'm not entirely sure, but I was officially done after the episode with meeting Twilight Sparkle's niece.

drgon78
04-09-2017, 11:28 AM
I love the show and hope to see another season as good as the 2nd or 4th.

I wish they gave us an actual preview for the movie.

Allio
04-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Is it really hard to understand why people would enjoy ponies?

I mean look at power ranger/tokusatsu, it's a franchise about grown men in spandex beating the **** out of one another

Redeemer
04-09-2017, 08:21 PM

Right? I'll never understand it either.

The Rise of The Bronies!!!! Coming to a theater near you!

FredWolfLeonardo
04-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Season 8 of the show was just announced. Assuming its 26 episodes like the seasons before it, it would bring the show to a grand total of 195 episodes, surprassing the original tmnt cartoon!

Its seems like the show still has quite a bit of steam left, even after the feature film.

Allio
04-09-2017, 09:09 PM
I assume that MLP merchandise is still selling and they don't want to chance to lose profit by doing another reboot.

I mean, look what happened to Monster High after the reboot...from what I heard it really took it bad in the sales.

FredWolfLeonardo
04-09-2017, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Mlp becomes the SpongeBob of Hasbro.

TMNT_Guy
06-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Official trailer released.
kIv_ConaZ1c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIv_ConaZ1c

Allio
06-28-2017, 07:35 PM
artstyle is...different to say the least. if my niece wantsto see it, I might take her. Otherwise it will be a streaming.

drgon78
06-28-2017, 09:00 PM
I can't wait to see it in theaters.

Utrommaniac
06-28-2017, 09:11 PM
The big movie budget looks so weird xD . Look at all the frames

(And they finally get to seaponies after I've gotten bored of it???)

Wildcat
06-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Looks really nice with the higher production.

LeotheLateBloomer
06-28-2017, 11:14 PM

We all know this, dude. We're on the internet.:roll:

Is it really a good show though?

I only watched the first two seasons which had the original creator of the show and I might've finished the third season but that was it. It was a cute show but that's about it and doesn't deserve so many episodes. Isn't the movie a little too late? Even bronies have kind of died down in recent years and in general the show isn't as hot as it was when it came out or the years following.

It's really entertaining. When you watch the first season (the first two episodes won't quite convince a new-goer), you start to see why this show appeals to anyone that really loves cartoons. There's a lot of Looney Tune-esque antics in the show to keep it from falling under the category of "girls cartoon." To be honest, I always felt that this show was more so popular amongst the internet than phenomenally like Rugrats, Pokemon, or Spongebob, so I don't think it will lose steam anytime soon.

kIv_ConaZ1c

I liked the trailer a lot. I'm a bit mixed on the animation style, though. It's nice to see them going all out for the movie but I'm so used to the series being flash animated that it just seems a tad jarring.

DestronMirage22
06-28-2017, 11:48 PM
kIv_ConaZ1c

I'm definitely not the target audience, and I don't understand how this appeals to anyone who isn't a little girl, but I have to admit that the animation looks good. Apart from the fact that the characters don't look right with the backgrounds at times. Aside from that, definitely a step up than cheapy flash-animation.

ZariusTwo
06-29-2017, 05:49 AM
Looks like your standard play-it-safe film

I agree with SDP, I feel this film's come way too late, the show peaked ages ago and I don't know too many friends that were into it back then that watch it now. I certainly lapsed after the third season. I kind of 'shipped Rarity and Spike back in the day, and to a smaller degree, Fluttershy and Discord [yeah, I'm a crack 'shipper]

Allio
06-29-2017, 06:21 AM
Never was really one to ship much, though the redneck part of me found the ironic comedy of Applejack/Bigmac hilarious.

Though I suppose if I had to choose, it would be Sunset/Pony!Twilight.

drgon78
06-29-2017, 01:12 PM
I hope the movie is good and does really well at the boxoffice.

Personally the Rarity+Spike ship should never happen. I was hoping Spike would get over Rarity and find someone closer to his own age like Sweetiebell. But I agree, the Fluttershy+Discord ship should happen.

TMNT_Guy
10-05-2017, 09:40 AM
So the movie premiers tomorrow and while there aren't any professional reviews yet, fans that got an advance screening gave it positive reviews. I expect this to be a good movie much like how the original Transformers movie, the Spongebob movie or even the Simpsons movie, but I'm interested to see how newcomers that have never seen the show before react to it. I'll see the movie tomorrow or sometime this weekend, but either way I'll be seeing it soon and I look forward to it.

sNJOisDTYEg

drgon78
10-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Too bad my local theater didn't get it and I do not have a car.:(

Coola Yagami
10-05-2017, 03:55 PM
I'm gonna be dragged to see it Saturday. I guess I'll give my thoughts if i survive.

LeotheLateBloomer
10-05-2017, 04:03 PM
How are you going to be dragged to see it?

Shark_Blade
10-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Seen a few first episodes. Not for me tbh, too tame. It needs to have more violence, blood and gore tbh.

FredWolfLeonardo
10-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Seen a few first episodes. Not for me tbh, too tame. It needs to have more violence, blood and gore tbh.

Odd that whats you would want to look for in a My Little Pony cartoon.

I'm not a part of the "Brony" fandom, but I enjoy the show for what it is. I'll be looking forward to this movie. Reminds me alot of Disney with the character designs, songs and tone.

I'm most excited for the Villain, she looks awesome.

Spike Spiegel
10-05-2017, 07:22 PM
I've only seen a few episodes, but it always seemed like a well made series. Growing up, I had an unironic love for Powerpuff Girls and Totally Spies, even though those were also "girls' shows." One of my old roommates was an animation major who had a huge collection of the figurines.

I hope the film succeeds, given that it's a rare thing to see a 2D animated film get a theatrical release these days.

LeotheLateBloomer
10-05-2017, 09:37 PM
I'm not a part of the "Brony" fandom, but I enjoy the show for what it is. I'll be looking forward to this movie. Reminds me alot of Disney with the character designs, songs and tone.

^Pretty much, this.

For real! Emily Blunt does an amazing job!

drgon78
10-05-2017, 09:40 PM
I also like the show but do not consider myself a Brony.

Shark_Blade
10-06-2017, 12:20 AM
Odd that whats you would want to look for in a My Little Pony cartoon.

Okay I may have exaggerated the blood and gore bit, but even Disney films have blood - for example Maleficent in dragon form stabbed with a sword.

MLP is too lovey dovey and friendship cotton candy imo. I dunno, I expect some action at least, this one is too much relying on soft magic. Sonic Boom had Shadow the Hedgehog kicking Tails' head resulting him thrown off into a dimension portal.

Sonic vs Shadow is cool too.

DChLLCwPOEM

But for the fans, carry on. :)

I think I found my alternative to cute animals cartoon:

165VjNKRNdw

FredWolfLeonardo
10-06-2017, 12:24 AM
Okay I may have exaggerated the blood and gore bit, but even Disney films have blood - for example Maleficent in dragon form stabbed with a sword.

It's too lovey dovey and friendship cotton candy imo. I dunno, I expect some action at least, this one is too much relying on soft magic. Sonic Boom had Shadow the Hedgehog kicking Tails' head resulting him thrown off into a dimension portal.

Sonic vs Shadow is cool too.

DChLLCwPOEM

But for the fans, carry on. :)

lol Shadow's voice in that video reminded me of one of Vegeta's voice in one of the DragonBall dubs.

I see your point regarding the show maybe not having action, its mostly about friendship and is quite lovey dovey. As much as I like the show, I do think it would've helped to have a constant villain to create a little tension. Even the old mlp animated show from the 80s had quite scary and hellish villains throughout the course of the show.

Not that I don't like the villains of this show, but I would've liked to see them more outside of the two part season premieres/finales. If you want to see more of the action esque episodes with villains, I recommend checking out the two part episodes that introduce and or focus on villains like Nightmare Moon, Discord, Queen Chrysalis, Starlight Glimmer etc.

Shark_Blade
10-06-2017, 12:32 AM
Cheers! :D

FredWolfLeonardo
10-06-2017, 12:33 AM
I think I found my alternative to cute animals cartoon:

165VjNKRNdw

Now that is seriously Gory!

But does it compare to this?:

(WARNING: lots of Gore and Blood! View at own Discretion!!!!)

KBsSKzAlIoc

Shark_Blade
10-06-2017, 02:06 AM
OMG that rocks! :tlol: I got my wish hardcore MLP. The fandom is pretty amusing after all. :lol:

Allio
10-06-2017, 05:49 AM
My mlp thing is I wish for a bit more underlying darkness. Kind of like the other little girls cartoon I enjoy.

LeotheLateBloomer
10-06-2017, 07:23 AM
OMG that rocks! :tlol: I got my wish hardcore MLP. The fandom is pretty amusing after all. :lol:

As is the Sonic fanbase...:roll:

Coola Yagami
10-06-2017, 10:01 PM
How are you going to be dragged to see it?

Got invited again and again AND AGAIN to join a friend to go see it and I'm too nice to say no. And he's buying my ticket anyway so whatever. I can still claim I never spend money on MLP XD.

LeotheLateBloomer
10-07-2017, 12:07 AM
I understand. Sorry to hear that. If you were a fan of the show, you likely wouldn't mind. I take it your friend is a fan, though.

drgon78
10-07-2017, 05:28 AM
Isn't your friend paying for your ticket, if so then what do you have to complain about. I can tell you that there are far worst movies to be forced to watch.

Coola Yagami
10-07-2017, 06:11 AM
Oh he's a hUGE fan. Yeah, I'm sure I'll at least be entertained. Even I admit the animation is a huge step uo from the flash animation.

The only episodes he's showed me were about this evil pony. Like I guess her premiere episode, then fast forward to her retutn episode that featured time travel and her becoming one of the good guys in the end. So i know the weird flash animation.

I'll most likely be lost in the grand scheme of things but I'm sure he'll tell me the backstory of anything I wouldn't understand.

LeotheLateBloomer
10-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Oh he's a hUGE fan. Yeah, I'm sure I'll at least be entertained. Even I admit the animation is a huge step uo from the flash animation.

The only episodes he's showed me were about this evil pony. Like I guess her premiere episode, then fast forward to her retutn episode that featured time travel and her becoming one of the good guys in the end. So i know the weird flash animation.

I'll most likely be lost in the grand scheme of things but I'm sure he'll tell me the backstory of anything I wouldn't understand.

Oh, the ones with Starlight Glimmer! That's rather odd for him to show you those episodes as opposed to the first season.

I'd definitely would recommend maybe a few episodes of the first season over the others. You'll get more of a slapstick vibe that you wouldn't expect from a show like this.

Coola Yagami
10-07-2017, 04:02 PM
The movie was alright. It was fun and inoffensive. It wasn't overly sickeningly cute and the songs weren't overly cutesy. I won't spoil things but I saw the whole final act coming from a mile away.

Coola Yagami
10-07-2017, 04:04 PM
Oh, the ones with Starlight Glimmer! That's rather odd for him to show you those episodes as opposed to the first season.

I'd definitely would recommend maybe a few episodes of the first season over the others. You'll get more of a slapstick vibe that you wouldn't expect from a show like this.

I think at the time that was the season finale and he was super hyped and all 'OMG YOU JUST HAVE TO SEE THIS' but also showed me her first episodes for reference and bsckstory.

TigerClaw
10-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Andre did a review of the movie.

z9gGhcN9xJc

LeotheLateBloomer
10-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Not surprised in the slightest that he went to go see the movie. He was going to watch it anyway, lol.

drgon78
10-07-2017, 09:07 PM
To be honest I was surprised that he went to see it. The last thing I remember him reviewing that is remotely MLP related was the first Equestria Girls movie.

TMNT_Guy
10-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Saw it with my niece on Saturday and we both really liked it. We both found ourselves chuckling and laughing throughout the run time and the whole theater exploded with laughter at the final joke before the credits. Heck, this is the first kid's movie I've seen without a poop or fart joke in years and it deserves an award for that alone. The music was catchy and while I didn't find every song amazing, none of them outstayed their welcome and I will definitely be singing a few of them to myself over the next few weeks. I wasn't overly excited about the animation from the trailers, but I thought it looked a lot better on the big screen. The scene of the Storm King rushing to the staff reminded me of Ratigan furiously running inside the Big Ben from The Great Mouse Detective and it certainly left me yearning for more movies with 2D animation. At the end all the kids in the theater jumped out of their seats and were dancing to the music in the credits, I haven't had this much fun at a theater in a long time.

The movie never throws any major surprises or twists, you can probably guess while watching what will happen from beginning to end, but it's the way they get to the end that makes it fun. I do have to say I didn't see what happens to the villain at the end coming, certainly not in a show like My Little Pony where most villains are forgiven and rehabilitated. Besides that I thought the way the ponies convinced the pirates to help them was too easy and I would have liked to see the Storm King more because I though he was fun, though I suppose that's a compliment to the movie if it left me wanting more, he reminded me of Hades from Disney's Hercules. Speaking of Disney, since this is a 2D animated movie with musical numbers it's undoubtedly going to get compared to their movies. I don't think it ever gets as good as say Aladdin or the Lion King, but I do think it's better then The Princess and the Frog.

Basically, if you've seen the first Spongebob or Rugrats movie then you can kinda guess what kind of movie this is. Not going win any awards or change anyone's life, but it's fun and definitely recommended if you can still enjoy 2D animated musicals.

FredWolfLeonardo
10-09-2017, 06:32 PM
I saw this movie too recently and I absolutely loved it! :D It was great to hear the cast from the show again, the new characters were fun, and most of all, that Animation was beaaautiful.

I plan on going to see it again, this time with some friends I know who are fans of the show.