PDA

View Full Version : New Ask PL up

Jeeves
04-08-2017, 02:36 PM
The title says it all, Peter has a new q&a up on his blog. Figured I'd drop it here, in case anyone missed it. Pretty easy to do considering how infrequently he posts these days.
http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2017/04/ask-pl-15.html

CyberCubed
04-08-2017, 04:07 PM
I remember the last time he put one of these up, he didn't even answer half the questions.

MikeandRaph87
04-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up!:tsmile:

Coola Yagami
04-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Cool though I ran out of stuff to ask.

Utrommaniac
04-08-2017, 05:27 PM
It looks like you might have to do them the same day that he posts them in order to get a reply.

CyberCubed
04-08-2017, 05:43 PM
The problem is people continually ask him the same questions over and over again so he loses interest in answering them.

Shedder
04-08-2017, 06:34 PM
It's disappointing that he doesn't think Idw has the rights to reprint Vol 4.
Hope that gets sorted out

Andrew NDB
04-09-2017, 02:43 AM
Threw mine in the ring.

It's disappointing that he doesn't think Idw has the rights to reprint Vol 4.
Hope that gets sorted out

I swear I've seen something from IDW (Bobby, or someone) mentioning they can, and may or may not do so in the foreseeable future. But maybe he's right. It would definitely strike me as weird that Laird could -- and he can, he has the rights to do so -- make a new issue of TMNT Vol. 4 tomorrow... and IDW could just reprint it the month afterward with no say-so from him. Maybe Volume 4 is in a legal safety box.

CyberCubed
04-09-2017, 03:13 AM
PL is probably misinformed since I doubt he keeps track of this stuff, IDW can reprint Vol. 4. They own all the comics.

Andrew NDB
04-09-2017, 03:15 AM
PL is probably misinformed since I doubt he keeps track of this stuff, IDW can reprint Vol. 4. They own all the comics.

All of the comics at the time of the sale, yeah, sure... but Peter can keep cranking out Vol. 4, 18 issues of it a year if he wants to, entirely independent of approval from Nick/Viacom. And for the two issues that have materialized since the sale, he has. Surely IDW can't just reprint that stuff willy-nilly, can they?

Jephael
04-09-2017, 06:05 AM
I'm surprised he doesn't make it a rule that any inquiries of completing Volume 4 to be forbidden. It seems to me like he's most likely just gonna totally ignore any future queries in regards to it anyway.

mrmaczaps
04-09-2017, 06:06 AM
All of the comics at the time of the sale, yeah, sure... but Peter can keep cranking out Vol. 4, 18 issues of it a year if he wants to, entirely independent of approval from Nick/Viacom. And for the two issues that have materialized since the sale, he has. Surely IDW can't just reprint that stuff willy-nilly, can they?

Someone brought that up at shellback and I got the impression thats part of the reason why he hasn't done more yet.... Granted a small part, but still. How many people are going to spend $10 for a Mirage issue just to see it published later by IDW for $4 or $5 bucks? I mean, I would to have my Mirage series stay complete, but there are people out there with bootleg copies of the last 4 issues that don't care that the work is copyrighted and made copies for friends and whatnot for the cost of printing and binding it...

Actually in that vein, I recall a thread I think on here of someone printing their own issue 31 and making copies for friends, and I got into it a bit with them because its still copyrighted even if Peter stuck the artwork up on the internet himself....

myconius
04-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Someone brought that up at shellback and I got the impression thats part of the reason why he hasn't done more yet.... Granted a small part, but still. How many people are going to spend $10 for a Mirage issue just to see it published later by IDW for $4 or $5 bucks? I mean, I would to have my Mirage series stay complete, but there are people out there with bootleg copies of the last 4 issues that don't care that the work is copyrighted and made copies for friends and whatnot for the cost of printing and binding it...

Actually in that vein, I recall a thread I think on here of someone printing their own issue 31 and making copies for friends, and I got into it a bit with them because its still copyrighted even if Peter stuck the artwork up on the internet himself....

they may be few and far between, but real collectors would definitely want to buy the original Mirage publishings of any new comics that might surface.
especially since IDW loves to poorly colorize any B&W stories.
did you see how awful souls winter came out? still can't believe i paid money to see beautiful Zulli art desecrated!!

but even without the hideous colorings, there's definitely the joy of collecting first edition even at $10 an issue.
it's limited run so that's not too bad a price when you really think about it.
plus the level of craftsmanship that goes into your typical Mirage art is well worth the coin.
definitely quality over quantity.

mrmaczaps
04-09-2017, 09:40 AM
they may be few and far between, but real collectors would definitely want to buy the original Mirage publishings of any new comics that might surface.
especially since IDW loves to poorly colorize any B&W stories.
did you see how awful souls winter came out? still can't believe i paid money to see beautiful Zulli art desecrated!!

but even without the hideous colorings, there's definitely the joy of collecting first edition even at $10 an issue.
it's limited run so that's not too bad a price when you really think about it.
plus the level of craftsmanship that goes into your typical Mirage art is well worth the coin.
definitely quality over quantity.

Oh definitely, on all counts. IDW should have reprinted in black & white and done just collections rather than single issues. Single issues for the rare stuff or volume three because everyone seems to want those.

myconius
04-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Oh definitely, on all counts. IDW should have reprinted in black & white and done just collections rather than single issues. Single issues for the rare stuff or volume three because everyone seems to want those.

yea, i really hope if and when IDW reprints the Image Comics Tmnt that they do it in B&W.
seeing that poorly colored would probably reduce me to tears! :lol:

ProphetofGanja
04-09-2017, 11:10 AM
PL April 8, 2017 at 9:58 PM:
I tend to like those "Thanksgiving" sandwiches, which typically include sliced turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. There's a place nearby called Barstow's which has a great version of this, which they call "The Costello". -- PL

The man is a fan of the Thanksgiving leftover sandwich, what a class act

oldmanwinters
04-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Threw mine in the ring.

I swear I've seen something from IDW (Bobby, or someone) mentioning they can, and may or may not do so in the foreseeable future. But maybe he's right. It would definitely strike me as weird that Laird could -- and he can, he has the rights to do so -- make a new issue of TMNT Vol. 4 tomorrow... and IDW could just reprint it the month afterward with no say-so from him. Maybe Volume 4 is in a legal safety box.

I'm just taking a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing IDW owns all reprint rights to the Mirage Comics existing at the point of sale. Laird had the right to self-publish x amount of new TMNT books a year, but those would probably be considered his property as new additions after the sale. But seems like nobody knows for sure, and there probably won't be much reason to worry about it.

PL April 8, 2017 at 9:58 PM:

The man is a fan of the Thanksgiving leftover sandwich, what a class act

Haha, best question and best answer! Kinda stinks that he has to wait a whole year to have opportunity to get his favorite sandwich.

ProphetofGanja
04-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Haha, best question and best answer! Kinda stinks that he has to wait a whole year to have opportunity to get his favorite sandwich.

I was curious if he'd be more inclined to answer something totally off-the-wall, not the kind of question he probably usually gets asked.

If I found the right Barstow's, I think they offer that sandwich year round, so that's good for him

mrmaczaps
04-09-2017, 04:27 PM
I was curious if he'd be more inclined to answer something totally off-the-wall, not the kind of question he probably usually gets asked.

If I found the right Barstow's, I think they offer that sandwich year round, so that's good for him

There is a chain in new england that offers a Thanksgiving sandwich all year round. Its great when its fully cooked/hot. Just can't recall the name of the place...

Andrew NDB
04-10-2017, 12:00 AM
Someone brought that up at shellback and I got the impression thats part of the reason why he hasn't done more yet.... Granted a small part, but still. How many people are going to spend $10 for a Mirage issue just to see it published later by IDW for $4 or $5 bucks?

My guess is, pretty much everyone who paid for the last couple of Vol. 4 issues.

CyberCubed
04-10-2017, 12:21 AM
I paid $10 each for the last 3 (or was it 4?) Volume 4 issues that came out after.

So I spent $40 on 4 comics. Money well spent? Probably not, but I'm a hardcore TMNT fan with hardcore views on TMNT, so I had to buy it.

Andrew NDB
04-10-2017, 12:22 AM
I paid $10 each for the last 3 (or was it 4?) Volume 4 issues that came out after.

So I spent $40 on 4 comics. Money well spent?

I'd venture "yes."

CyberCubed
04-10-2017, 12:41 AM
Makes me wonder what the re-sale value on these $10 Volume 4 comics is now that they were a limited print and fairly old at this point. I think I remember seeing one go on ebay for as high as $80. I wouldn't sell them until potential collections come out because I want every story of TMNT ever published in my permanent collection, but it's interesting to think how much money you could make off these issues in the future.

You'll make back your $10 payment and about $50+ more in generous interest.

Nortock Diab
04-10-2017, 04:58 AM
Issue #29 sold twice over $800 in the last 3 months.

Issues #30, #31 and #32 are still rather easy to find but will not go under $50 each, #31 being the most recent and thus the cheapest.

CyberCubed
04-10-2017, 04:09 PM
[COLOR="Lime"]Issue #29 sold twice over $800 in the last 3 months.

:o

$800 for a single comic? Jesus Christ, someone give me that offer I'll sell you my issue right now!

sdp
04-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Yeah it'd be a good idea to invest in those other Mirage books, I just don't have the patience of waiting 4 years even if it's logical they'll all end up worth 10x their cost now.

myconius
04-10-2017, 05:18 PM
My guess is, pretty much everyone who paid for the last couple of Vol. 4 issues.

i'd double down.

MrPliggins
04-10-2017, 06:15 PM
I remember the complaints when #29 was released for $10. I wish I'd ordered two now. I don't think the other three issues will ever hit the $800 mark, but I could be wrong.

BTW, A #29 CGC 9.8 can be had for just a little over $1k right now on Ebay (not my listing).

oldmanwinters
04-10-2017, 06:53 PM
I remember the complaints when #29 was released for $10. I wish I'd ordered two now. I don't think the other three issues will ever hit the $800 mark, but I could be wrong.

BTW, A #29 CGC 9.8 can be had for just a little over $1k right now on Ebay (not my listing).

Haha, I think I was one of those people who thought $10 was too steep a price for an issue I probably wouldn't get much enjoyment out of. I never considered how insane the aftermarket prices would become.

mrmaczaps
04-10-2017, 07:09 PM
I think the other issues will go for steep prices soon enough. Its why I am hanging onto my spare copies of #31. If Pete kicks it before finishing vol4, its The Final Issue and all... lol.

oldmanwinters
04-10-2017, 07:10 PM
I think the other issues will go for steep prices soon enough. Its why I am hanging onto my spare copies of #31. If Pete kicks it before finishing vol4, its The Final Issue and all... lol.

If nothing else, I'm thankful Laird made the special print run issues available online for free. That allowed cheapskates like me to at least follow the story. Back then, that was more than sufficient for me, as I had only casual interest in the Volume 4 narrative.

sdp
04-10-2017, 07:12 PM
I remember the thread that it would cost $10 and many complained but also many mentioned it would likely go up in cost for that very reason/limited quantities/etc. and even used previous vol4 issues as examples.

Andrew NDB
04-10-2017, 09:12 PM
I remember the last time he put one of these up, he didn't even answer half the questions.

Most of them were pretty groanable, though. "Peter, what do you think about Mona Lisa?" "Peter, what do you think about the Nick toys?" "Peter, have you read more IDW yet?"

He was probably adhering to the old doctrine of "if you can't say anything nice..."

mrmaczaps
04-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Most of them were pretty groanable, though. "Peter, what do you think about Mona Lisa?" "Peter, what do you think about the Nick toys?" "Peter, have you read more IDW yet?"

He was probably adhering to the old doctrine of "if you can't say anything nice..."

Yeah, seems lots of people only ask about the same topics: v4s end, female turtles, idw stuff or the movies... that would get old. He could always stick a link in to a previous post about it... or just comment "I've answered that before and I won't get into it again."

pferreira
04-13-2017, 09:03 AM
I remember the last time he put one of these up, he didn't even answer half the questions.I'm definitely not asking any questions about the Fred Wolf show if his only answers to my questions is going to be 'money and toys'. :roll:

neatoman
04-13-2017, 09:26 AM
I'm definitely not asking any questions about the Fred Wolf show if his only answers to my questions is going to be 'money and toys'. :roll:

I like Laird's honesty, puts a dent in the eccho chamber. No need to pretend the show existed for any other reason.

AquaParade
04-13-2017, 09:56 AM
I always got the impression that he wants to be asked about anything other than tmnt. Sort of silly though, all things considered.

That said, I gotta love the guy for everything he's "given" me.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-13-2017, 11:08 AM
I always got the impression that he wants to be asked about anything other than tmnt. Sort of silly though, all things considered.

That said, I gotta love the guy for everything he's "given" me.

It's a Catch-22.

Most of us don't care about his pottery or university or his daily life, but if we ask about what we do care about, it irritates him because he's no longer interested in TMNT.

Although, why anybody still asks him TMNT questions is beyond me. We know the answers already... do we really need to know (or even care) what his thoughts are regarding Nick killing off Splinter, or IDW putting Splinter in charge of the Foot, or the upcoming 2018 show? :trolleye:

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 11:20 AM
I'm definitely not asking any questions about the Fred Wolf show if his only answers to my questions is going to be 'money and toys'. :roll:

But those are the correct answers.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Money and toys and nostalgia. That right there is Fred Wolf TMNT perfectly summed up, for better or worse, good or bad.

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Money and toys and nostalgia. That right there is Fred Wolf TMNT perfectly summed up, for better or worse, good or bad.

It's McTMNT™, at large.

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 12:54 PM
Here's what PL said in regards to a question about the Image comics:

I don't think I have ever read ALL of the Image TMNT comics. My basic feeling about that run was that they were competently executed comics, but because they took the Turtles in directions I would not have, I never felt like it was the "real" TMNT. I'm not sure if that completely and accurately represents my take on the Image TMNT comics, but that's what I can say about it right now. -- PL

I guess most of us knew this by now, but he does not like any deviation from Mirage.

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 01:05 PM
He was much more verbose about it in his response to my letter in the Vol. 4 lettercol.

"I could easily have written them in... but it just wouldn't feel right."

I'm not sure where the disconnect is about him claiming he might not have read all of them. He actively vetted each script, and even gave Gary Carlson notes at times.

AquaParade
04-13-2017, 01:57 PM
Speaking of which, did we ever get confirmation on whether or not IDW would be collecting or reprinting Volume 3?

I know there were some rumblings about the subject about a year back.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Speaking of which, did we ever get confirmation on whether or not IDW would be collecting or reprinting Volume 3?

Nope. Back and forth, back and forth, conflicting answers, never a firm "Yes, and Book 1 is in stores on this date." :trolleye:

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 03:04 PM

Nick still won't let'em. Might never.

Jephael
04-13-2017, 03:20 PM
I guess most of us knew this by now, but he does not like any deviation from Mirage.

I thought Laird was fond of the Archie comics... atleast maybe the later issues. I mean we all know where he stands on the Fred Wolf material, but what about characters that primarily started out with Archie, or at the very least had a far better backstory in those comics?

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 03:43 PM
He's mostly indifferent to Archie from what I remember, you probably have to remember he hasn't read/viewed this material in over 25 years since the 90's. You really think he remembers anything that happened in them?

PL doesn't even like the Mirage comics he didn't work on, like many of the guest issues or even some of Eastman issues (he tore apart "The Unmentionables" issue in the Ultimate Collections for example), and went around saying many of the Tales V. 2 issues he never read either...and that's when Mirage was publishing.

Jephael
04-13-2017, 03:50 PM
He's mostly indifferent to Archie from what I remember, you probably have to remember he hasn't read/viewed this material in over 25 years since the 90's. You really think he remembers anything that happened in them?

PL doesn't even like the Mirage comics he didn't work on, like many of the guest issues or even some of Eastman issues (he tore apart "The Unmentionables" issue in the Ultimate Collections for example), and went around saying many of the Tales V. 2 issues he never read either...and that's when Mirage was publishing.

You know the more we discuss the guy, the more depressing this all becomes. I mean honestly, why can't all these different takes on the Ninja Turtles co-exist and be celebrated by anybody and everybody? Why does there have to be one true iteration? Imagine how boring it'd be if we only had the campy Adam West Batman TV series and never got the later Tim Burton films or the Bruce Timm animated universe? Or what if the Superman franchise ended after Lois and Clark in the 90s and we never got Smallville, or later Supergirl (I know you for one would be bummed out by that, Cubed :twink:)

Mewzard
04-13-2017, 04:16 PM
My favorite response was:

"I miss some of it -- the early days of working on the TMNT comic with Kevin, for example, and working on the 4Kids show, and a few other bits and pieces. But all in all, I am content with the way it is now."

For all the stresses I'm sure the time had, I'm glad Laird still seems fond of the time he and Eastman worked together on those early issues.

mrmaczaps
04-13-2017, 04:45 PM
My favorite response was:

"I miss some of it -- the early days of working on the TMNT comic with Kevin, for example, and working on the 4Kids show, and a few other bits and pieces. But all in all, I am content with the way it is now."

For all the stresses I'm sure the time had, I'm glad Laird still seems fond of the time he and Eastman worked together on those early issues.

I wish Kevin could take skme time off doing shows and whatnot to spend like a year chillen with Peter like those old days and I bet they could work on a ton of material. Can you imagine a completed volume 4 by Eastman & Laird looking like those first 10 or so issues from vol 1? I heard Peter a few times say he really misses those days and how he wanted to do more of that. Can't say for sure they would do volume 4 but just thinking about it would be cool.

Also as far as the Turtles go, he often times to refers to them as almost his children (besides his daughter) and so if you have kids, you can kind of understand his desire to make sure they "grow up" to the best of their ability as he sees it... So, Image and anything not done by him is someone elses creativity and design. I don't have kids but you can still really imagine if you will, how it is to have something thats so much a part of you and wanting the best outcome for them....

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 04:46 PM
I wish Kevin could take skme time off doing shows and whatnot to spend like a year chillen with Peter like those old days and I bet they could work on a ton of material. Can you imagine a completed volume 4 by Eastman & Laird looking like those first 10 or so issues from vol 1? I heard Peter a few times say he really misses those days and how he wanted to do more of that. Can't say for sure they would do volume 4 but just thinking about it would be cool.

That would be huge.

AquaParade
04-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Wow. I never really think of this, but there's probably nothing TMNT related I'd want more.

I mean, I could probably dream up a few things, but I'd be so excited to see Kevin and Pete reunite on Mirage TMNT.

mrmaczaps
04-13-2017, 08:47 PM
Wow. I never really think of this, but there's probably nothing TMNT related I'd want more.

I mean, I could probably dream up a few things, but I'd be so excited to see Kevin and Pete reunite on Mirage TMNT.

Who wouldn't love one more go around with them both at the wheel? I mean, really.

I know for sure I heard Peter say he had wanted to do more work with Kevin but he wants that in person feel of the old days. To which I don't blame him. Most of my friends are the online type and it gets old to have to type everything out all the time...

Maybe we ask the IDW guys to give Kevin some "mandatory" time off so he can go hang with Peter. Lol

DestronMirage22
04-13-2017, 10:50 PM

Wow, just thinking of this has me feeling sad that no progress is being made. :cry:

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 11:38 PM
I guess it might seem a little weird for Kevin to come on at the end of Vol. 4. Vol. 4... seems so unlike anything Kevin would write or otherwise be a part of. Now, I wouldn't be against it, far from it... and if the two of them broke down the final story beats of it? Wow. What it could be.

Thematically, though, Peter began Vol. 4 and probably should finish it. But how cool would it be if right after that, Kevin and Peter got together and did some 12 issue maxi-series coda to it all? The final word. Sort of to bookend the original slew of issues they did together in Vol. 1.

DestronMirage22
04-14-2017, 12:43 AM
I guess it might seem a little weird for Kevin to come on at the end of Vol. 4. Vol. 4... seems so unlike anything Kevin would write or otherwise be a part of. Now, I wouldn't be against it, far from it... and if the two of them broke down the final story beats of it? Wow. What it could be.

Thematically, though, Peter began Vol. 4 and probably should finish it. But how cool would it be if right after that, Kevin and Peter got together and did some 12 issue maxi-series coda to it all? The final word. Sort of to bookend the original slew of issues they did together in Vol. 1.

While that would be amazing, wouldn't there be legal issues? From my understanding, Peter is allowed to publish new Mirage comics, so long as they're written by him only right? What about who does the art, is there any issues regarding that we know about? I doubt it, since Lawson drew the last Vol 4 issues that came out after the sell.

Andrew NDB
04-14-2017, 01:05 AM
While that would be amazing, wouldn't there be legal issues? From my understanding, Peter is allowed to publish new Mirage comics, so long as they're written by him only right?

Wrong. He has to "have a large and evident hand" in them. Not exclusively.

What about who does the art, is there any issues regarding that we know about? I doubt it, since Lawson drew the last Vol 4 issues that came out after the sell.

Anybody can do the art. Doesn't matter. Peter Laird just has to have a large hands-on stake in any issues that arise.

DestronMirage22
04-14-2017, 01:23 AM
Wrong. He has to "have a large and evident hand" in them. Not exclusively.

Anybody can do the art. Doesn't matter. Peter Laird just has to have a large hands-on stake in any issues that arise.

Ahh....good to know. Guess the only thing stopping him from doing this is his own lack of interest. :ohwell:

Netkeeper
04-14-2017, 01:27 AM
You know the more we discuss the guy, the more depressing this all becomes. I mean honestly, why can't all these different takes on the Ninja Turtles co-exist and be celebrated by anybody and everybody? Why does there have to be one true iteration?
I'm guessing he's like me and the guy's just picky about how they're interpreted. If there are too many problems I'll definitely say an iteration of a franchise is ****, and I suppose like me he has less of a tolerance for bs

Especially since it was partially his property and all

Andrew NDB
04-14-2017, 01:29 AM
I'm guessing he's like me and the guy's just picky about how they're interpreted.

Yes. He absolutely has every right to be. I may not totally love where he takes the TMNT always (largely to the sci-fi side of the spectrum, predominantly), but I'd readily take his sole take on TMNT -- even divorced from Eastman -- over anything else we've seen in the children's spinoff material that seems to be happy enough just recycling itself over and over again.

CyberCubed
04-14-2017, 01:47 AM
I just want Vol. 4 wrapped up. After that I don't care if there's another Mirage published comic ever again. We already know due to all the Old TMNT stories set in the future how the universe basically ends anyway.

sdp
04-14-2017, 01:54 AM
I just don't see Laird finishing Vol. 4 unless he really gets a turtles kick in a few years. The older he gets the less likely that'll happen.

Do we know if the rights to publish 18 issues a year are for Mirage or for Laird?

If that contract specifies Mirage and it's for perpetuity then that means after Laird eventually passes away that company is going to be worth a lot of money and you could see new issues of Mirage turtles by whoever owns the company and unlike Laird they won't hold back on the 18 issues. Sure comics don't sell a lot but imagine being able to publish TMNT comics license free? That has to be worth some cash. I know it's a bit grim to discuss but Viacom might not have thought that clause out when they made that contract and put that in to please Laird.

Andrew NDB
04-14-2017, 02:05 AM
Do we know if the rights to publish 18 issues a year are for Mirage or for Laird?

It's solely for him. It dies with him. Non-transferable.

CyberCubed
04-14-2017, 02:06 AM
Pete is what...around 63 now? I say wait till he's 70 before giving up entirely.

mrmaczaps
04-14-2017, 06:17 AM

Yeah, i mean I think at this point the only way we see more volume 4 is if Kevin came back to encourage Peter to do it. Either by them spending some one on one work in the same office tupe work days or Kevin just being totally honest and saying Pete this is a no brainer, if you write it, they will buy it...

It woukd be nice to see even a couple 64 page annual like books to tie it all up. Maybe do 1 with a happy ending and one where it leads directly into the "future" already predicted...

At this point, I'm not holding my breathe for there being an end to volume 4, but it doesn't mean i won't be excited for it if it happens!

oldmanwinters
04-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Pete is what...around 63 now? I say wait till he's 70 before giving up entirely.

Why 70? Do you think a person's good years for creativity cap at a certain age?

CyberCubed
04-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Probably because if he doesn't do anything till then, we know he will never do anything.

ToTheNines
04-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Yeah, when Peter turns 70, that will have been about 15 years since the sale to Viacom. If we don't get anything by then, I'd say it's obviously not ever happening.

But we could be wrong. Maybe will Peter will want to be like the Stan Lee of TMNT... although, it seems that Kevin is already filling that role.

Netkeeper
04-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Yes. He absolutely has every right to be. I may not totally love where he takes the TMNT always (largely to the sci-fi side of the spectrum, predominantly), but I'd readily take his sole take on TMNT -- even divorced from Eastman -- over anything else we've seen in the children's spinoff material that seems to be happy enough just recycling itself over and over again.
Oh my god, yes. Everything here is yes.

Rooish
04-14-2017, 09:43 PM
I won't pester him with this, but at what point do you think he will realize that the kind thing to do would just be to briefly summarize the conclusion to Volume 4?

sdp
04-14-2017, 09:49 PM
Laird mentioned a a few years ago how he put that clause in because he felt he needed it but as time passed on he realized he didn't really miss it and that's why he didn't publish things with it.

He realized there was life without TMNT and the more Viacom does with the franchise the less he feels like it's his, he needs no reason to continue and doesn't feel inspired to even finish what he started.

I'd love to be wrong but I don't see Laird having a change of heart when he's 70 to return to the turtles.

CyberCubed
04-14-2017, 10:18 PM
I won't pester him with this, but at what point do you think he will realize that the kind thing to do would just be to briefly summarize the conclusion to Volume 4?

Someone asked him that in one of his previous blogs, and his answer was something like, "Well I don't really remember, and the few things I know I want to happen I don't want to say in case I finish the comic."

The most interesting detail of course being the Battle Nexus story where we found out Splinter was still alive, and that the Splinter that died back in issue #10 seemed to be an alternate reality Splinter. Don analyzed the fur he clipped off him and said, "The Splinter who died wasn't the same one who raised us."

In other words it looks like PL was planning on retconning Splinter's death, oddly enough.

Redrumh2o
04-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Pretty boring ask PL.....I see this being his last for a long while

mrmaczaps
04-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Someone asked him that in one of his previous blogs, and his answer was something like, "Well I don't really remember, and the few things I know I want to happen I don't want to say in case I finish the comic."

The most interesting detail of course being the Battle Nexus story where we found out Splinter was still alive, and that the Splinter that died back in issue #10 seemed to be an alternate reality Splinter. Don analyzed the fur he clipped off him and said, "The Splinter who died wasn't the same one who raised us."

In other words it looks like PL was planning on retconning Splinter's death, oddly enough.

I've heard him say he has a very basic outline of where he was going and I think Jim Lawson has an idea of it, but Steve Lavigne & Jim offered to help finish it up and he seemed disinterested in even that. Kind of sucks but its his baby... If Peter never finishes it, Andrew can always do it like his vol 3 ending. Or maybe if/when Pete passes, IDW will get Jim & Steve to finish it off under the IDW label. That should be far enough into the future that the rest kf volume four will have been reprinted too....

ToTheNines
04-15-2017, 05:08 PM

It's not really a retcon if the original Splinter died and the one in the battle nexus is a dimensional duplicate, which is what I always thought was going on.

It would be nice to have Splinter back, I guess. But that just seems really cheap to have the real Splinter still be alive. And lame, even by Volume 4 standards.

CyberCubed
04-15-2017, 05:50 PM
It was in the most recent issue, #32 I think, where Don finally talks about the fur he clipped off the dead Splinter's body way back in issue #11. Saying, "The Splinter who died wasn't the same one who raised us" really implies that the Mirage Splinter we knew all along, at least prior to the start of Vol. 4, wasn't the one who croaked and died.

For some reason he's in the Battle Nexus, and the Splinter we've assumingly seen since the start of Vol. 4 is some sort of alternate dimension Splinter, or maybe a clone or something.

I'd rather Splinter stay dead too, and the one in the Battle Nexus be the alternate universe one, but that isn't what's implied by Don's dialogue. Of course since PL may never finish Vol. 4....we'll probably never know for sure.

ToTheNines
04-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Gotcha. I haven't read volume 4 in a LONG time. And those last few that came direct from Mirage, #29-32, I only read once and I bagged 'em. I'm about due for a full Mirage/Image read through.

DK2
04-15-2017, 09:44 PM
I understand Laird may have his issues with TMNT comics that he didn't do or had any involvement with, being dissed by him. But as someone mentions earlier it seems even Tales of TMNT Vol. 2 he doesn't seem to accept either? If this is true, its kind of silly. I mean he was like the overseeing editor on that title, saying yes or no to the scripts. So for him to even diss Tales of TMNT Vol. 2 is kinda mean (or hypocritical) when he was involved with it or at least had sort sort of say in them.

ToTheNines
04-15-2017, 09:51 PM
He was only overseeing Tales for like the first 30 issues or so. He quit approving scripts and left that all to Berger after a while. End he probably never even peeped the final products.

FredWolfLeonardo
04-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Looks like he gave his list of tmnt movies, best to worst:

"From best to worst, I would say:

First live-action movie
2007 CGI Imagi movie
Third live-action movie ("Turtles in Time")
Second live-action movie ("Secret of the Ooze")

I don't think I can include the two recent Michael Bay-produced films in this comparison because I don't see the characters in them as representing what the TMNT should be. They're more like mini-Hulks with bandanas. -- PL"

mrmaczaps
04-15-2017, 10:38 PM

First live-action movie
2007 CGI Imagi movie

I don't think I can include the two recent Michael Bay-produced films in this comparison because I don't see the characters in them as representing what the TMNT should be. They're more like mini-Hulks with bandanas. -- PL"

Mini-Hulks... hahaha great. He is spot on...

Utrommaniac
04-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Well, the answer to my question wasn't entirely helpful, but I guess I was vague in how I lettered it.

What I meant to ask was how Ch'rell got his scar and what happened in his youth to make him hate his own people, since the writing was never able to get to it.

Rooish
04-16-2017, 12:38 AM
I've heard him say he has a very basic outline of where he was going and I think Jim Lawson has an idea of it, but Steve Lavigne & Jim offered to help finish it up and he seemed disinterested in even that. Kind of sucks but its his baby... If Peter never finishes it, Andrew can always do it like his vol 3 ending. Or maybe if/when Pete passes, IDW will get Jim & Steve to finish it off under the IDW label. That should be far enough into the future that the rest kf volume four will have been reprinted too....

Well yeah, that's all I want to know. Like did Mikey stay/die in space? Does he have kids? Was he under some weird brainwashing that was making him evil? Was Karai brainwashed? Does April kill herself? Did Casey sleep with Karai? How did the rift start between Shadow and the Turtles? How did Don get back to normal size?

There's a lot besides Splinter that I want to know!

Netkeeper
04-16-2017, 10:50 AM

First live-action movie
2007 CGI Imagi movie

THIS is why I love this man. Responses like this one.

MikeandRaph87
04-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Mini-Hulks... hahaha great. He is spot on...

That made me laugh. However, I do see the ogre resemblance more. His least favorite is my favorite. Shredder AND evil mutants! What more could a original generation fan ask for?:cry:

I really had hoped the fact 6 and half years would have wore off the burn out. Kevin was like this for awhile. He had other interest. Peter however just enjoys being a homebody who bike rides. I guess. A documentary interview, one ink job, and one digital issue via his blog. Two FCBD signings done as favors for Mirage Dudes. That is it I think.

Andrew NDB
04-17-2017, 12:22 PM
It's not really a retcon if the original Splinter died and the one in the battle nexus is a dimensional duplicate, which is what I always thought was going on.

It would be nice to have Splinter back, I guess. But that just seems really cheap to have the real Splinter still be alive. And lame, even by Volume 4 standards.

I don't think it's what it seems, and I think we'd finally see the culmination of that vision in TMNT Vol. 2, #1... a Turtle murdering "Splinter." Those wraps on the Turtle we see in the vision could be Battle Nexus gear.

He was only overseeing Tales for like the first 30 issues or so. He quit approving scripts and left that all to Berger after a while. End he probably never even peeped the final products.

Berger? He left it to Murphy for a while. I don't remember Berger ever solely being in charge. Peter eventually came back and actively oversaw the final year or so's worth and Steve was upset he never got a "thank you." Laird also said that, had he been actively involved during that window that only Murphy was, issues like the one with Leonardo hooking up with Radical never would have been approved.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Berger? He left it to Murphy for a while. I don't remember Berger ever solely being in charge. Peter eventually came back and actively oversaw the final year or so's worth and Steve was upset he never got a "thank you." Laird also said that, had he been actively involved during that window that only Murphy was, issues like the one with Leonardo hooking up with Radical never would have been approved.

And I'm still bitter about that. Thanks a lot, Pete, where were you when we needed you? :tlol:

LeotheLateBloomer
04-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Yeah, that was a weird issue to the point where I can't see Peter EVER approving of this.

CyberCubed
04-17-2017, 12:56 PM
PL never read most of the Tales issues, he made that obvious. If he can't even be bothered to read Mirage published comics from his own company, even when they were originally coming out back in 2005-2009, then he obviously doesn't care much for the franchise in general anymore.

ToTheNines
04-17-2017, 01:39 PM
I don't think it's what it seems, and I think we'd finally see the culmination of that vision in TMNT Vol. 2, #1... a Turtle murdering "Splinter." Those wraps on the Turtle we see in the vision could be Battle Nexus gear.

That makes sense.

Damnit Andrew.... *limps down to basement*

Murphy was running Tales from day one and left as "managing editor" after #37, with Berger picking it up at #38 and through the end.

I think you and I are thinking of the same blog post (which of course I can't find), but I don't recall there being "a window" I'm pretty sure Pete just got burnt out, started looking to sell, and altogether stopped approving scripts or even reading completed issues.

DrSpengler
04-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Is this the Peter Laird blog post you guys are thinking of, where he admits that he hadn't read a bunch of Tales Vol. 2 issues?

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2013/11/ask-pl-11.html

"I have to admit, with a bit of embarrassment, that there are some "Tales of the TMNT" stories which I have not read, or even reviewed the premises for, and that I believe is one of them. So I can't really comment on that. I will say this, though -- I've never been a fan of the "human/Turtle love story" thing."

He doesn't provide a specific timeframe for when he was ignoring Tales Vol. 2 issues, we just know that Tales #41 ("Swan Song") was published during that timeframe.

Laird was probably stretched too thin at that time dealing with the 4Kids cartoon, Imagi movie, Playmates merch and god knows what else. The Mirage comic likely fell by the wayside during all that and he delegated its editing to folks like Murphy and Berger who made creative decisions in his absence.

CyberCubed
04-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Laird was probably stretched too thin at that time dealing with the 4Kids cartoon, Imagi movie, Playmates merch and god knows what else. The Mirage comic likely fell by the wayside during all that and he delegated its editing to folks like Murphy and Berger who made creative decisions in his absence.

Yeah, but you have to wonder why he never went back to read them after the sale in 2009, when he was "done" with TMNT and no longer managing the franchise. I mean we're now in the year 2017, he basically had 7 years of retirement where he could have just read through the last 40 issues of Tales just out of curiosity or for fun. But it seems like he never did.

ToTheNines
04-17-2017, 02:29 PM
Thanks, Spengs. That must be it, it's just not as descriptive as I remember.

Obviously, merely over seeing Tales took less effort that plotting and writing Volume 4, but he mostly crapped out on that in mid-2006. So I wouldn't be surprised if he never read much of anything after issue #25 or so. I could be wrong though.

Vegita-San
04-17-2017, 02:48 PM
THIS is why I love this man. Responses like this one.

exactly. unlike gung ho Jimmy Fallon Kevin Eastman (yeah, that idea is great, lets go for it, you're awesome, lets have lunch!), Peter is not afraid to say something is a bad idea and tell it to your face, in a nice way.

I've grown to like the third movie a little more too. it's a little quieter than movie two is, and sometimes the down time is appreciated.

I only wish the costumes and replacement voices where better. that and cutting down on the puns a bit and i think it would be much improved. schwing indeed.

Vegita-San
04-17-2017, 02:51 PM

what is this strange world in which we agree on stuff? I'm not sure i feel comfortable with it :)

Nick repeats too much of what has been seen before, and does it less well. i don't need leo (or raph) going through the plate glass window again. 4 kids should have been the last for that where it was actually done well.

Vegita-San
04-17-2017, 02:53 PM
You know the more we discuss the guy, the more depressing this all becomes. I mean honestly, why can't all these different takes on the Ninja Turtles co-exist and be celebrated by anybody and everybody? Why does there have to be one true iteration? Imagine how boring it'd be if we only had the campy Adam West Batman TV series and never got the later Tim Burton films or the Bruce Timm animated universe? Or what if the Superman franchise ended after Lois and Clark in the 90s and we never got Smallville, or later Supergirl (I know you for one would be bummed out by that, Cubed :twink:)

because then we get stuff like platinum dune turltles, or to a far lesser degree, nick turtles.

Left Unchecked, playmates, or someone else less talented, will have a greater chance to ruin the franchise for ever, either with bad ideas or bad will.

and the only one who should be allowed to do that is the creator IMHO :).

CyberCubed
04-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Vegita-san did you really have to triple post instead of putting all that edited into one post?

Netkeeper
04-17-2017, 04:16 PM
The guy probably doesn't know how/that you could multi-quote.

Vegita-San
04-17-2017, 04:17 PM
The guy probably doesn't know how/that you could multi-quote.

no, 'the guy' does.

I just don't do it often enough to make a point of remembering.

once maybe every six months and i forget it's even there.

CyberCubed
04-17-2017, 05:07 PM
no, 'the guy' does.

I just don't do it often enough to make a point of remembering.

once maybe every six months and i forget it's even there.

And you can still put all your stuff in one post afterward then instead of posting 3 times in a row.

Netkeeper
04-17-2017, 05:21 PM
Hey, ease up a little, I don't think it's a big deal. At least the posts have substance to them and add to the conversation.

Vegita-San
04-17-2017, 05:57 PM
with the way some posters snarkily reply to one another, sometimes it's tough to tell from text if a person is upset at things being done or not :).

and since it was a reply to cube who is on my ignore list, my guard was up :).
I couldn't tell form that one. my bad ;)

pferreira
04-20-2017, 09:06 AM
I like Laird's honesty, puts a dent in the eccho chamber. No need to pretend the show existed for any other reason.

Money and toys and nostalgia. That right there is Fred Wolf TMNT perfectly summed up, for better or worse, good or bad.Yeah of course you guys are absolutely right. It's not like the 2003 cartoon, the Nick cartoon, the post Mirage comics and all the movies don't exist just to sell toys and make money right? Oh hang on... ;)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Yeah of course you guys are absolutely right. It's not like the 2003 cartoon, the Nick cartoon, the post Mirage comics and all the movies don't exist just to sell toys and make money right? Oh hang on... ;)

Hello Thursday. Enjoy your day of internet freedom!

neatoman
04-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Yeah of course you guys are absolutely right. It's not like the 2003 cartoon, the Nick cartoon, the post Mirage comics and all the movies don't exist just to sell toys and make money right? Oh hang on... ;)

Hello, Randle McMurphy. We literally never brought that up, you're projecting again.

Andrew NDB
04-20-2017, 12:30 PM
http://sj.blacksteel.com/media/images/catevari16.jpg

Fred Wolf is amazing, infallible! Krang is super dangerous and can kill you by looking at you, and killed tons of people on the cartoon!

Vegita-San
04-20-2017, 12:34 PM
is this place descending into anarchy faster than the normal internet?

it's tough to tell these days with the crazy juice being passed around :)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-20-2017, 12:50 PM
http://sj.blacksteel.com/media/images/catevari16.jpg

Fred Wolf is amazing, infallible! Krang is super dangerous and can kill you by looking at you, and killed tons of people on the cartoon!

Killed them with his sick dance moves, maybe. Ol' Fred Wolf "Bubblegum Brain" was about as dangerous as he looked... not very.

"Oh no, he's shrinking the Turtles!" "Oh no, he's chained up the Turtles!" "Oh no, he's stealing antiques!" "Oh no, he's stealing the world's supply of ice cream!" "Oh no, he's putting evil alien meatballs on pizza!"

Technogeek29
04-21-2017, 12:05 AM
is this place descending into anarchy faster than the normal internet?

it's tough to tell these days with the crazy juice being passed around :)

Killed them with his sick dance moves, maybe. Ol' Fred Wolf "Bubblegum Brain" was about as dangerous as he looked... not very.

"Oh no, he's shrinking the Turtles!" "Oh no, he's chained up the Turtles!" "Oh no, he's stealing antiques!" "Oh no, he's stealing the world's supply of ice cream!" "Oh no, he's putting evil alien meatballs on pizza!"

He was the most credible threat save Lord Dregg in the OT. Just played off as over the top like a lot of villians were....I must be hitting the sauce hard, "I" came to the defense for the OT. And I usually give people the most crap for it.