PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Forces of Destiny

TigerClaw
04-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Disney and Lucasfilm teamed up for a series of animated shorts called "Star Wars: Forces of Destiny" These animated shorts will focus on the female heroes in the Star Wars universe.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/star-wars-forces-of-destiny-animated-shorts-will-focus-on-the-female-characters-of-the-galaxy-far-far-away-a150342

Star Wars: Forces of Destiny will encompass a series of animated shorts and merchandise that will focus on a variety of awesome female heroes.

The series will cover multiple Star Wars eras and will feature Daisy Ridley, Lupita Nyong'o, and Felicity Jones reprising their roles as Rey, Maz Kanata and Jyn Erso respectively. Plus, Star Wars animation veterans Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano), Matt Lanter (Anakin Skywalker), Tiya Sircar (Sabine Wren) and Vanessa Marhsall (Hera Syndulla) will also be on hand to voice their characters.

3MF2VFgCUSk

Allio
04-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Disney: we really, really, want that Mattel money.

sdp
04-13-2017, 12:06 PM
I wonder if this was done after so many SJW bullied Kathleen Kennedy because of some BS alt-left issue when they don't even realize that Disney with Star Wars is already doing tons of stuff for female empowerment already. I don't even remember the complain but obviously having two Star Wars films with a female actress as the main character wasn't enough for them, they have to be offended by something. They outright called her misogynistic

If done correctly these shorts could be awesome but that concept art looks ugly and I fear it's only being done for the above reasons and so they can say they are "PC". So I'm not sure what to expect from them since they seem rushed and they're coming out this summer, I'm guessing they're 5 minute shorts or so.

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 12:14 PM
Very corny.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-13-2017, 12:20 PM
That art style is not very pleasing to the eyes.

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 01:07 PM
All these animated products are lame.

Allio
04-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Except clone wars and rebels are pretty good

Autbot_Benz
04-13-2017, 02:33 PM
shut up cubed. Rebels is really good.

plastroncafe
04-13-2017, 02:39 PM
The animation reminds me of the DC Nation shorts, so that's a plus in my eyes. I loved those damn things.

The return of the cinematic voice cast is also pretty cool.

Unsurprised by the flack it's getting.

ToTheNines
04-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Except clone wars and rebels are pretty good

He's trolling.

I wish they'd do a Mon Mothma short. She's always been a mysterious character.

snake
04-13-2017, 03:03 PM
The animation reminds me of the DC Nation shorts, so that's a plus in my eyes. I loved those damn things.

The return of the cinematic voice cast is also pretty cool.

Unsurprised by the flack it's getting.

Literally no one is complaining. Stop creating your own narratives.

The animation looks pretty bad, I have to say.

NinjaPug
04-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Not a fan of the animation style for this but will definitely watch.

ProactiveMan
04-14-2017, 04:07 AM
Star Wars: Force of Macromedia Flash. Will the Rebellion act in time to prevent the Empire from unleashing the terrible power of Motion Tween? "This was your father's Gradient Tool..."

Stephen
04-14-2017, 04:45 AM
Star Wars: Force of Macromedia Flash.

There is no Macromedia Flash anymore. It was acquired by Adobe.

Allio
04-17-2017, 12:04 AM
man, it's like Disney really wants to beat Mattel at their own game

first, the ****** Descendants with Ever After High
Now Star Wars against DC Superhero Girls.

the Disney/Mattel break up must have been horrible.

Donatello19
04-17-2017, 01:48 AM
Kind of seems like it could be the Disney Princess franchise but for Star Wars. Neat idea I guess, but the style doesn't look good, to me at least. I've seen better Star Wars art on some children's books.

Andrew NDB
04-17-2017, 02:30 AM
I'm not knocking it. It could be good. Questionable cheap flash animation kind of style... eh. That coupled with the "Why" this exists (which seems particularly reactionary) makes me question it, but not severely. It can exist. Seems odd as an early "go to" for the proto-Disney/Lucas-verse.

Allio
04-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Could be worse, could force a high school setting

ToTheNines
04-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Could be worse, could force a high school setting

Lol. Tosche Station: The Series!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Lol. Tosche Station: The Series!

Featuring the Power Converters?

TheSkeletonMan939
04-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Today's episode: the womp rat genocide.

ProactiveMan
04-18-2017, 03:40 AM
There is no Macromedia Flash anymore. It was acquired by Adobe.

... I know.

I'm not knocking it. It could be good. Questionable cheap flash animation kind of style... eh.

I like the concept, but the presentation is a bit underwhelming for something with Disney's name on it.

NinjaPug
07-03-2017, 11:58 AM
First short

TVVa2g4X4MU

Aaronardo
07-03-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm pretty sure the point of that was to show off an action scene. But the animation style is so limited they couldn't make it engaging in the slightest. You can't try and make something fast-paced if everything on-screen moves as slow as it does here.

Disney's been adopting this cheap Flash style and letting it on TV (as full-fledged shows) recently, and it's just not working.

CyberCubed
07-03-2017, 12:50 PM
That flash style was legitimately horrid. It reminded me of those old flash clips you would see on cartoon websites in the early/mid 2000's.

DestronMirage22
07-04-2017, 02:28 AM
Wow, that's some horrible animation. :dead:

Splinter the boss
07-04-2017, 07:05 AM
They ARE shorts, so they're given less importance than other star wars products, that's why it's so primitive.

Aaronardo
07-04-2017, 10:19 AM
They ARE shorts, so they're given less importance than other star wars products, that's why it's so primitive.

The fact that they are shorts is why the animation has no business being as bad as it is. 3-4 minutes of animation isn't hard, especially when you're Disney. It's not even a priority thing -- this is just laziness.

Plus, we have full-fledged shows Disney's letting on the airwaves with a similar animation style like Tangled and Hotel Transylvania, so it isn't as if these shorts are the only things getting this kind of treatment.

Spike Spiegel
07-04-2017, 05:55 PM
That looked way too cheap for Disney...like the modern equivalent of an old Filmation program.

Vegita-San
07-04-2017, 09:46 PM
the actual STORY of the BB8 one isn't bad, but, can I say that the animation is absolutely HORRID without ruffling any sensitive forum ears?

my god.

What happened to the art of animation, where stylization, and cheap stylization, is taking over even big companies like disney now?

i couldn't watch more than two minutes of that...the low frame rate actually hurts the eyes..

sdp
07-04-2017, 10:42 PM
TMNT shows that shorts can be very well animated if they want to, of course it costs money. I think these shorts were made for two reasons which is to show GIRL POWER and appease SJWs and more importantly to market some new dolls they're going to be selling so like Monster High they decided to make some shorts.

I don't think it was a huge project, hence the budget but I still think it's awesome, I personally love the idea of all these Star Wars women getting some love. I'm going to wait until December to watch them all as I'm hyped about Episode VIII since right now I don't really feel like watching anything Star Wars.

Oddly enough I have seen SJWs complain about how Disney is misogynistic and that's the reason these shorts have bad animation and alt-right complaining about Disney pandering to SJWs :lol: Disney can't catch a break.

Vegita-San
07-05-2017, 07:31 AM
that's because you can't please EITHER of those people.

the only reason i'm not as interested in this as I otherwise would be is BECAUSE it feels like it was done with an agenda in mind, and not to celebrate the women of star wars.

if it was the latter, I'd be all for it. but not with the head of fang being in control of star wars these days :).

sdp
07-05-2017, 04:17 PM
I think that's a small part of it but the biggest reason is they were made was to promote these dolls coming out later this year:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/nzehjmqegp9bjdkcamjt.jpg

Jesus, look at the Chewbacca Ken (https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/h7ru0ula7i4ov5b1kapz.jpg) :lol:

Kind of neat, they don't seem that bad though I'm not a doll collector. IIRC most of these doll lines of licenses aimed primarily at boys usually fail even if there is crossover appeal, like the old Power Ranger dolls. And the action figure of DC Super Hero Girls hit the discount bins rather quickly in various places so I'm guessing that line didn't do that well. I give them props for trying and at least now we can show people that these things don't usually sell.

Edit: Do we know how many of these there will be? The only bad thing about all of them being from different periods of time is that we won't have a final team up ;(
As bad as these flash shorts are I think I'm more excited for them than the actual Episode VIII film.