PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo discontinuing the NES Classic

Autbot_Benz
04-13-2017, 02:31 PM
According to a Nintendo rep close to IGN, the NES Classic Edition is being discontinued later this month. The source said the last shipments are being sent to stores throughout April. You can read the full statement below.

“Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product.”

Sad news for anyone who has yet to snag one at a reasonable price. Stay tuned to Nintendo Wire for more details as they make themselves available.

http://nintendowire.com/news/2017/04/13/nes-classic-edition-discontinued-north-america/

mrmaczaps
04-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Queue those people who bought all of them every time they found some setting them up kn ebay for way more than what they paid per unit...

The Deadman
04-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Well that SUCKS. So much for my job holding onto one for me next time they came in FeelsBadMan.

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Not surprising at all. It wasn't selling. It's hard to imagine anyone other than hipsters wanting that full retro experience coveting a 32 year-old video game system.

The rest of us? Emulators and ROMs have been available for almost two decades that play all of that stuff console-perfect.

Candy Kappa
04-13-2017, 04:27 PM
That sucks. It's been near impossible for people to get these, late preorders canceled and those who got them resells them for insane price.

Here I hoped riding out the storm and get one later was the better idea, guess not.

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Not surprising at all. It wasn't selling. It's hard to imagine anyone other than hipsters wanting that full retro experience coveting a 32 year-old video game system.

It was actually selling out completely and they barely stayed on store shelves. People are also paying $100+ for it on places like ebay just to get a console.

It was highly successfull which makes Nintendo discontinuing it so quickly even more baffling.

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 04:32 PM
It was actually selling out completely and they barely stayed on store shelves. People are also paying $100+ for it on places like ebay just to get a console.

It was highly successfull which makes Nintendo discontinuing it so quickly even more baffling.

Where are the sales figures to support that?

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 04:34 PM

It came out back in November and sold 2 million units by March 2017, and this is with shortages and most people not being able to find a console:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-exec-on-nes-classic-shortages-nintendo-sw/1100-6446951/

Nintendo could probably sell around 7-10 million consoles if they actually kept producing it.

Powder
04-13-2017, 05:08 PM

The rest of us? Emulators and ROMs have been available for almost two decades that play all of that stuff console-perfect.

I know you like to think people don't care about retro gaming but this thing went out of stock like it cured cancer & 3D printed sexual partners.

Netkeeper
04-13-2017, 05:45 PM
A massive shame for those that wanted it but I personally had no interest due to various issues with the device regardless of its unicorn rarity tbh

It sure is cute though, I'll give it that.

The Deadman
04-13-2017, 05:50 PM

Its not that hard to imagine that people actually want the physical thing and not everyone knows about nor uses emulators.

sdp
04-13-2017, 06:56 PM
Already pointed out but you couldn't be more wrong Andrew, this was one of the holiday gifts last christmas and it's still near impossible to get.

It makes no sense why Nintendo would discontinue it but the my top 4 theories are:

1-Nintendo doesn't want the NES Mini to distract people from getting a switch
2-Nintendo is only discontinuing it for now and will launch it again soon and with new games (the wording makes this likely)
3-Nintendo didn't like that it was hacked and people could inject roms
4-Nintendo gotta Nintendo

I'm guessing it's more of a combination of 1 and 2 though but with Nintendo you never know it really just might be 4 and they just don't care even if they can still make tons of money from it, the product already did what it was supposed to do, get people talking about Nintendo.

Redeemer
04-13-2017, 11:13 PM

Where are your facts to say it wasn't selling??? :lol:
Hypocrit :lol:

Cubed is right. This thing sold out at launch and has been difficult to keep on the shelves.

DestronMirage22
04-13-2017, 11:18 PM
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Andrew NDB
04-13-2017, 11:30 PM
Already pointed out but you couldn't be more wrong Andrew, this was one of the holiday gifts last christmas and it's still near impossible to get.

It makes no sense why Nintendo would discontinue it but the my top 4 theories are:

2-Nintendo is only discontinuing it for now and will launch it again soon and with new games (the wording makes this likely)

I'm guessing it's more of a combination of 1 and 2 though but with Nintendo you never know it really just might be 4 and they just don't care even if they can still make tons of money from it, the product already did what it was supposed to do, get people talking about Nintendo.

Hm... well I guess it could be Switch-related. Get people to rebuy those same games on Switch. That's still a thing, isn't it?

sdp
04-13-2017, 11:44 PM
Hm... well I guess it could be Switch-related. Get people to rebuy those same games on Switch. That's still a thing, isn't it?

about that......eventually we assume it'll be possible, the switch didn't even launch with a Virtual Console yet that sells these games, it's a half baked console launch for a system that isn't ready. I was just flamed about this on the Nintendo thread. I love Nintendo but that doesn't mean you can't point out their faults.

what an assbackwards company, though I guess it's this same mentality that has them take risks and make crazy games that I end up loving.

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 11:52 PM
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Why would you think a nice small NES with 30 games on it with pixel perfect emulation (better than the Virtual Console releases) is rubbish?

Andrew NDB
04-14-2017, 12:04 AM
In any case...

eegDtyrSUZw

DestronMirage22
04-14-2017, 12:30 AM
Why would you think a nice small NES with 30 games on it with pixel perfect emulation (better than the Virtual Console releases) is rubbish?

It was obvious from the start that these were just cheap little cash-grabs. The selection of games is pathetic, the use of modern game control ports ruins the whole nostalgia angle, has poorly designed controllers, and the price point is ridiculous. The initial price was too much for what little you got (I was actually able to get my current original NES for way) less than that a couple years ago), and the current market prices are just insane, it's definitely not worth what people are asking for it.

If you really want to play the games the real way, you should just pick up an actual NES.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
04-14-2017, 12:45 AM
I've literally never seen one.

Netkeeper
04-14-2017, 01:08 AM
If you really want to play the games the real way, you should just pick up an actual NES.
Assuming we all have TVs old enough to play it on.

Cure
04-14-2017, 01:09 AM
The "real way". Hahaha, oh my God.

DestronMirage22
04-14-2017, 01:21 AM
The "real way". Hahaha, oh my God.

Glad I can be of amusement. :)

CyberCubed
04-14-2017, 01:50 AM
You know I still have my old NES, but I have no idea if it plugs into a modern TV. Seriously, how the hell do I hook up my NES to a modern Sony flat-screen television? I don't think any of the wires still plug in.

ProactiveMan
04-14-2017, 03:37 AM
I can't believe what I'm reading - it's like Bizzaro World in here. If there was no demand for these things, why has every single shipment of them sold out? Why do gaming websites keep publishing 'NES Classic's are back in stock' articles every couple of months?

As for buying an NES, let me tell you - they are pretty expensive nowadays, a lot of them are decrepit, and the hardware can be a real pain in the ass. The third party clones are expensive and hard to get sometimes, and the games aren't cheap either.

You know I still have my old NES, but I have no idea if it plugs into a modern TV. Seriously, how the hell do I hook up my NES to a modern Sony flat-screen television? I don't think any of the wires still plug in.

It's not hard to hook an NES up to a modern TV if you have RCA leads for the NES, and RCA inputs on the TV, but not all of them do anymore. I'm guessing your TV is a Sony Bravia? A lot of the later models don't have the inputs you need, but they sometimes have a proprietary port that you can pug a dongle into, which will give you RCA-in.

You can try to use the RF input on the TV (antenna port), but that will look like 50 shades of dog sh*t, and you need the RF box that came with the NES. Otherwise, get an HDMI upconverter.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
04-14-2017, 07:28 AM

Call any Gamestop and ask them when is the last time they've seen one and then ask them how many calls they get a day about it. Also do the same at Wal Mart, K-Mart, Target and everywhere else. They sold out instantly and fetch insane prices on ebay. I personally think it's retarded to pay that much for them but it's totally not true to say that these weren't in demand. They were in heavy demand. My Target and Wal Mart both had signs up telling people that they were doing their best to get more of them but basically Nintendo didn't produce anymore. Just dumb on Nintendo's part. They've done this "shortage" crap a million times over the years though.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
04-14-2017, 07:31 AM

A good point I seen someone make on IGN last night was that maaaaybe Nintendo is discontinuing it because they might be about to have the eshop up and really running on Switch. I have a Switch but haven't even checked the eshop. I actually heard they are gonna put GameCube games on the eshop even and that would be awesome.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
04-14-2017, 07:34 AM
A massive shame for those that wanted it but I personally had no interest due to various issues with the device regardless of its unicorn rarity tbh

It sure is cute though, I'll give it that.

Yeah I actually didn't get one for the same reason. I just thought it was absolutely asinine to make the cord only 2ft long. I was fine with that in 1986 when I got my original NES but now that's just beyond dumb.

Coola Yagami
04-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Am i the only one that still owns a fully functional NES from his childhood? And of course it plugs into a modern tv. In fact its super easy because any set of red and yellow cables will do it. The SNES and Genesis are harder if you lost the original AV cables because the port is console specific and you'd have to find a replica at a retro store, but the NES? Any multicolored AV cable will do the trick.

Storm Eagle
04-14-2017, 10:12 AM
Am i the only one that still owns a fully functional NES from his childhood? And of course it plugs into a modern tv. In fact its super easy because any set of red and yellow cables will do it. The SNES and Genesis are harder if you lost the original AV cables because the port is console specific and you'd have to find a replica at a retro store, but the NES? Any multicolored AV cable will do the trick.

I've still got mine. In fact, I've got two. I've even hooked it up to my TV, which of course is an HDTV. As for the SNES, I'm good since it uses the same multi A/V cord as the N64 and GameCube, and I have those systems too, although the one that came with the SNES went bad and I had to toss it. Still though, it's messed up that Nintendo is discontinuing the NES Classic.

mrmaczaps
04-14-2017, 10:24 AM

I have a six year old flat screen tv that doesn't have the proper hook ups for my NES console. You can buy an extra cord that converts the hookups to work, yes but without that, they're just boxes sitting and getting dusty... except mine are stored in a tote in my car. Lol.

Prowler
04-14-2017, 10:24 AM
I've literally never seen one.
Neither have I. Only seen accessories for it on sale(controllers and cases/bags to carry it in).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-14-2017, 10:38 AM
I've no interest in a NES Classic, but if Nintendo offered a SuperNintendo Classic?

Boy oh boy, take my money. :tgrin:

Netkeeper
04-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Yeah I actually didn't get one for the same reason. I just thought it was absolutely asinine to make the cord only 2ft long. I was fine with that in 1986 when I got my original NES but now that's just beyond dumb.
YEP that was my main reason too. If they made one with wireless controllers I'd be all over wanting it. It was the only change they needed to make!

ToTheNines
04-14-2017, 12:06 PM
YEP that was my main reason too. If they made one with wireless controllers I'd be all over wanting it. It was the only change they needed to make!

And maybe a few more games. Chiefly the TMNT trilogy + Tournament Fighters.

Netkeeper
04-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Well, I mean, I'd love the TMNT trilogy too, but we are all kinda biased around here with regards to that... :tgrin:

Coola Yagami
04-14-2017, 01:50 PM
I have a six year old flat screen tv that doesn't have the proper hook ups for my NES console. You can buy an extra cord that converts the hookups to work, yes but without that, they're just boxes sitting and getting dusty... except mine are stored in a tote in my car. Lol.

Your tv didn't have the colored AV ports?

DestronMirage22
04-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Am i the only one that still owns a fully functional NES from his childhood?

I've got two, and three bootleg versions. Guess it's pretty obvious it's one of my favorite consoles. :P

Storm Eagle
04-14-2017, 05:55 PM
I've no interest in a NES Classic, but if Nintendo offered a SuperNintendo Classic?

Boy oh boy, take my money. :tgrin:

What do you think the chances are in that happening after they discontinued the NES Classic?

Netkeeper
04-14-2017, 07:55 PM
What do you think the chances are in that happening after they discontinued the NES Classic?
Hey, everything has to be discontinued eventually, let's not consider it impossible.

Storm Eagle
04-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Hey, everything has to be discontinued eventually, let's not consider it impossible.

They discontinued it five months after its release though. Even Virtual Boy was around longer.

sdp
04-14-2017, 10:30 PM
A public company doesn't just discontinue a product that not only is still selling but it hasn't even been able to meet demand yet. There has to be a reason like the ones I mentioned but no, this isn't a comic book limited edition thing, if something sells you don't just stop producing it. Nintendo makes really odd decisions but it's not because they're evil, they're just stupid at how the market works, they're a very Japanese company that does things their own way and doesn't really care for trends or what's happening outside their company culture. I'm guessing the reason for discontinuing it is something really stupid but to them it makes sense.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-15-2017, 06:43 AM
It should be with all NES-games ever relased officially in English (maybe it wout require Internet connection, but still).

oldmanwinters
04-15-2017, 10:36 AM

They discontinued it five months after its release though. Even Virtual Boy was around longer.

That was Nintendo's initial assumption and thus the justification for the low-production run. They targeted it towards 30-40-year-olds who wanted a cheap retro thrill, but the mass-market demand surprised them and probably scared their higher-ups that it would undermine the long-term success of their primary hardware and Virtual Console strategy.

Tyma
04-17-2017, 04:38 PM

Great post!

1 - I think in the grand scheme of things, the NES Classic is a loss-leader, and Nintendo's ultimate goal may have been to raise interest and add value to their back-catalogue. They've almost certainly done that, and even though it doesn't make business sense to continue making them, it was a nice gesture to release two more production waves, to try and help out people who feel they might be at the mercy of re-sellers.

2 - Ben Heck recently did a tear-down on the NES Classic, and found a lot of clues that hint to the idea that the circuit board of the system is designed to be somewhat modular, and can easily be re-housed as a 'SNES Classic', 'N64 Classic' or 'Gameboy Advance Classic', without having to make any chances at all to the hardware - you could just put the circuit board into a SNES-shaped box, re-flash the Kernal with some SNES games, and it would be good to go.

It also licenses games from Konami and Tecmo, who are both big believers in rinsing as much money as possible from their legacy titles. Nintendo may have their hands tied by the wording of their licensing contracts, and could potentially produce a second NES Classic for christmas, with different Nintendo titles replacing the licensed titles. As Ben Heck found out, it would be a simple case of re-flashing the Kernals, and shipping them out to stores.

3 - I don't know how Nintendo could possibly combat this with a re-release, but if Point 1 holds true, and Nintendo consider their Switch Virtual Console to be a big deal, then the NES Classic actually prevents them with a problem - it's currently the cheapest way to get an 'All In One' emulation box that just hooks upto a HDMI TV, and plays NES, SNES and N64 ROMs, with authentic Nintendo controllers (produced almost a decade ago, for the Wii Virtual Console).

4 - Nintendo traditionally go out of their way to create a market scarcity (Wii, Amiibo, Zelda 3DS), raise brand awareness, and then flood the market with the product that they've created a demand for. I don't actually think this is the case, but we can only hope?

ProactiveMan
04-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Your tv didn't have the colored AV ports?

You'd be surprised how many don't. It's going to get worse too - As DVD fades away, so will RCA video.

You can get HDMI converters though, so you should be able to hook up an NES one way or another. I hook up my SNES through an HDMI upscaler and it looks pretty good. It's a PAL SNES, so I can get RGB out over scart.

Cure
04-18-2017, 08:11 PM
Yeah, my TV only has HDMI. Future proof.

oldmanwinters
04-19-2017, 03:40 PM
SNES Classic rumored to be on the way!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-19-2017, 03:48 PM

I saw that today!

Put me down for 1... time to show my wife and kids some Old School Mario. :tlol:

Storm Eagle
04-20-2017, 12:18 AM

I'll most likely be interested in that. I just hope there wouldn't be a shortage of them for when people reserve. They did a good job with the Switch. Also, for Pete's sake, make the controller cords longer, dammit.

05-16-2017, 04:23 PM
Turtles in Time should be at the SNES Classic.

oldmanwinters
05-16-2017, 10:14 PM
I'll most likely be interested in that. I just hope there wouldn't be a shortage of them for when people reserve. They did a good job with the Switch. Also, for Pete's sake, make the controller cords longer, dammit.

Haha, yeah, I heard those NES classic cords were like 3-feet long or something crazy like that.

Netkeeper
05-17-2017, 12:47 AM
They don't even need cords, there's few excuses for them to not be wireless tbh

ProactiveMan
05-18-2017, 01:20 AM
They don't even need cords, there's few excuses for them to not be wireless tbh

They'd have to jack up the price. Bluetooth ain't free ya know. Plus then you've got to keep the controllers charged and you're on the friggin' merry go round.

Andrew NDB
05-18-2017, 01:52 AM
I saw that today!

Put me down for 1... time to show my wife and kids some Old School Mario. :tlol:

You can do that now. On your computer.

DestronMirage22
05-18-2017, 07:37 AM
You can do that now. On your computer.

Or even on your phone.

Netkeeper
05-18-2017, 11:36 PM
They'd have to jack up the price. Bluetooth ain't free ya know. Plus then you've got to keep the controllers charged and you're on the friggin' merry go round.
It isn't expensive either. It'd make the price go up a little bit. No big deal.

ProactiveMan
05-24-2017, 09:13 AM
I dunno, it seems like I have to recharge everything nowadays. It's kind'a nice to jack something in and not have to worry about it.

Netkeeper
05-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Vastly preferred to having to untangle a wire every time you want to use something, in my view.

chrisdude
05-27-2017, 05:02 PM
I think it all plays into what they were saying. That this was a nostalgia product, not something for "gamers." So they would opt for authenticity over functionality. They probably thought for 40-something non-gamers, charging the controller would feel wrong.

05-28-2017, 06:25 AM

Maybe they should've been sold together?