PDA

View Full Version : Apple might buy Disney for 200 Billion?

TigerClaw
04-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Take this with a grain of salt, but there's a rumor going around, That Apple might buy Disney, for a whopping 200 Billion.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers/rumor-apple-looking-to-buy-disney-for-200-billion-a150354

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Good. Every company should buy every other company. I'm really tied of all these individual businesses around, it's better if everything is owned under one roof.

The Deadman
04-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Even if you were being serious, a monopoly is bad for business.

snake
04-13-2017, 03:59 PM
Good. Every company should buy every other company. I'm really tied of all these individual businesses around, it's better if everything is owned under one roof.

Low effort bait

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Even if you were being serious, a monopoly is bad for business.

I welcome Apple as our new overlords.

ToTheNines
04-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Low effort bait

Right? Even I'm just shaking my head.

Definitely an off day.

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 04:45 PM
This is the same overreaction when Disney bought Marvel Comics a few years back, and then Star Wars after that. Now nobody cares and realizes it was for the best for both franchises.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Disney buying Star Wars was not a good turn for the franchise. Seeing TFA made me respect the intent behind the prequels more than ever.

CyberCubed
04-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Disney buying Star Wars was not a good turn for the franchise. Seeing TFA made me respect the intent behind the prequels more than ever.

Even if you didn't like the movie, wait till you see the rest of the trilogy. I don't follow the comics but I hear they're pretty well received too since the relaunch.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-13-2017, 04:59 PM

How did Rogue One affect your opinion of Disney/Star Wars, if at all?

MsMarvelDuckie
04-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Good gawds I hope this is fake. The Mouse should never fall to anyone!

Personally I am disappointed by the relaunch/reboot. So much wasted pitential in the EU that will never be given the screen treatment it deserved. It's Peter's deal with Mephisto in a galaxy far far away....

TheSkeletonMan939
04-13-2017, 05:26 PM
I enjoyed Rogue One, but I feel like it's going to be an outlier in terms of quality - largely because they had characters with which they could easily take risks (many of them were neither good nor bad, more in-the-middle). That Han Solo movie, for instance - they'll show him meeting up with Chewie and winning the Falcon with Lando, but that project sounds like it reeks of riding on the nostalgia wave. How long will Disney be making films like that?

For me Disney has 1 stinker and 1 good film, but I have a feeling that we'll be getting more TFA-esque material in the future as opposed to RO.

sdp
04-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Not gonna happen, first of all it's nothing but "rumors" when you only have Variety reporting without a real source it's nothing.

Second, Apple can't afford Disney; Just because they have the "money" doesn't mean they can actually afford to buy it, it would mean spending all their assets to do it and in a case for a company as big as Disney it would likely no be an acquisition but a merger not an outright buy out. Though merger doesn't really mean what it means, a merger still means one company acquired the other and they aren't equal partners but they form one new company instead being flag shipped by the strongest in this case Apple.

Third, it just doesn't make much sense as Apple can do many other smarter acquisitions. Oddly enough Apple doesn't even have enough to buy Facebook, odd how FB is worth more than all your Disney memories right?

If it happened then we wouldn't really see much change in how either company is run, after all Apple and Disney have had a great relationship for decades now, they don't really need to merge. But let's discuss this while it's reported by a publisher with a real source or credibility with anonymous sources.

As far as Disney; well Bob Iger has made amazing decisions in his tenure as CEO and turned the company completely around by buying Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars; All million dollar properties that continue to rake cash for Disney and even their own animation studios have been able to resurface, they really are a powerhouse and stronger than ever. Buying Marvel and Star Wars was a great decision for them but I don't think it was for the fans, both Marvel and Star Wars would be better off by themselves as far as the individual fan is concerned. I don't think they've been mistreated at Disney but I do think some of they sacrificed some creativity along the way, same as Pixar.

in b4 "but disney doesn't interfere..." lie that gets used all over the internet that don't understand how a multinational enterprise works.

ProactiveMan
04-14-2017, 03:53 AM
Second, Apple can't afford Disney; Just because they have the "money" doesn't mean they can actually afford to buy it, it would mean spending all their assets to do it and in a case for a company as big as Disney it would likely no be an acquisition but a merger not an outright buy out..

I don't think it will happen either, but they probably can afford it. Apple have about $250 billion cash reserves alone, let alone assets. I think Apple is valued at something just south of $700 billion right now.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-14-2017, 06:37 PM
Pretty sure Walt's will made sure no one would or COULD ever sell the company. Even decades later it's still owned by the family.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Pretty sure Walt's will made sure no one would or COULD ever sell the company. Even decades later it's still owned by the family.

Yeah, but how much influence do they have left? I remember Roy E. Disney was very upset by how the company is run today.

sdp
04-14-2017, 10:04 PM
I don't think it will happen either, but they probably can afford it. Apple have about $250 billion cash reserves alone, let alone assets. I think Apple is valued at something just south of $700 billion right now.

Yeah, but it's not a smart decision to blow all your reserves on one company you already have a good working relationship with. It's too risky, those reserves are there for other type of investments, I would seriously doubt they'd blow it all on Disney. It's too risky even if Disney is a healthy enterprise.

Disney is a public company, whatever Walt wanted doesn't matter anymore since it's not his company but the share holders. The family indeed has a lot of Disney shares but none of them hold anywhere near a majority. That's what happens when children get a company, it starts to get divided and other people get more influence.

I'm not sure what the situation at Disney is now but for example Steve Jobs of Apple already was the majority share holder at Disney after they bought Pixar, that then passed on to his wife after she passed away. After the Star Wars sale, George Lucas became the largest share holder of Disney, yes the Lucas everyone blames ruined Star Wars technically owned more of Disney than anyone else but I believe that may not be true anymore since he gave it away a lot of that money to charity. Bob Iger, the current CEO of the company likely holds more shares than most, same with the CFO if I recall correctly. But it's not really in my portfolio so I don't really follow Disney stock.

snake
04-15-2017, 12:06 AM
How did Rogue One affect your opinion of Disney/Star Wars, if at all?

Rogue One redeemed Didney for me. I hated TFA, but RO? Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. It helps that we've been getting solid books and comics too.