PDA

View Full Version : Variant Cover for TMNT Vol. V, #73 (IDW) - Support my Kickstarter

rich
04-14-2017, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone. I'm planning to create a variant cover for TMNT #73 (Aug. 2017) to celebrate TMNT, Vol. V (IDW) becoming the longest-running TMNT title ever! This cover will be drawn by a Mirage-era artist and will have a limited print run. If this is something you'd be interested in, I've launched a 30-day Kickstarter campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/163025140/variant-cover-for-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-73) to get things rolling. There are multiple tiers of backing options available (starting at $10 USD) and every tier includes at least one copy of this variant cover when released. If you're a Turtles comic book collector / fan, a regular visitor to my website TMNT: A Collection (tmnt-ninjaturtles.com) (http://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/), or just interested in backing a cool project, head on over to Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/163025140/variant-cover-for-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-73) and help me make it happen. Your support is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

http://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/assets/kickstarter-logo-light-768x90.png

mrmaczaps
04-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Cool man. Awesome idea.

ToTheNines
04-14-2017, 01:26 PM
$25 pledged!

I hope it's Jim. A variant celebrating a TMNT title become the longest-running volume can only be drawn by the most prolific TMNT artist :)

rich
04-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Thanks to all for your support. 73 is exciting!

BlueBandana
04-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Hey Rich, cool idea! When you say that a Mirage-era artist is drawing the cover, will you reveal who it is before the 30 days deadline?

Rat A Tat
04-14-2017, 02:10 PM
I've been avoiding trying to collect REs for quite a while, but the hell with it, I'm all in for this momentous occasion! Thanks for putting it together, Rich!

rich
04-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Hey Rich, cool idea! When you say that a Mirage-era artist is drawing the cover, will you reveal who it is before the 30 days deadline?

Good question. I don't think that I will be able to reveal the cover artist within the next 30 days. But, I will look into it and see if I can reveal the artist's name but just not the actual work itself. Stay tuned.

I've been avoiding trying to collect REs for quite a while, but the hell with it, I'm all in for this momentous occasion! Thanks for putting it together, Rich!

Awesome! Great to have you on board and thank you! I know that collecting all the covers (especially all the RE covers) is a lot of work and quite expensive. But, my intent is simply to create a really meaningful collectible that is affordable for all that wish to have one. I can't think of too many RE covers in the past 6 years that were only $10 (+shipping).

dripgutz24
04-14-2017, 02:20 PM
First kickstarter I ever pledged 😉

DestronMirage22
04-14-2017, 02:43 PM
This is a good idea, and something I'd definitely support if I could. :(

But why is IDW sometimes referred to as Vol. 5? I've seen this before on other sites and it always has me confused. :-?

ToTheNines
04-14-2017, 02:47 PM
It is the 5th comic book series to be titled "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", so retailers will sometimes call it volume 5 to help differentiate between the others, even though it's volume 1 of IDW's catalogue.

rich
04-14-2017, 02:50 PM
This is a good idea, and something I'd definitely support if I could. :(

But why is IDW sometimes referred to as Vol. 5? I've seen this before on other sites and it always has me confused. :-?

Well, for me, back when IDW published the first issue, I had to classify this title in my database to make it unique from the others. It seemed logical that with Mirage Vol. IV being the last volume titled "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", the IDW one would be Vol. V. So, that's how it's been on my website (and in my mind). Whether or not others see it in the "canon" of the other Turtles volumes is definitely up for debate. Out of curiosity, what would you label the IDW main series as?

DestronMirage22
04-14-2017, 02:53 PM
Out of curiosity, what would you label the IDW main series as?

Whenever I refer to it, I just call it TMNT IDW. I guess alternatively it could be called IDW Vol 1.

rich
04-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Whenever I refer to it, I just call it TMNT IDW. I guess alternatively it could be called IDW Vol 1.

All good ideas for sure. I think because Vol. II got actually branded as "Volume 2" back in 1993 when it came out, all the following "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" got branded in succession. The Image series just kind of became Vol. III and then, since it was already labeled Vol. III, when Mirage started publishing "TMNT" again in 2001, that became Vol. IV. Right or wrong, they've always been that way in my opinion, regardless of publisher. It's the title I'm creating the volume from.

ToTheNines
04-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Wow! Funded in ~4 hours, hell yeah!

rich
04-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Wow! Funded in ~4 hours, hell yeah!

Truly wow! I'm just blown away at the response. This is fantastic. But, don't let the fact that we met the funding goal already stop you from backing if you haven't yet. There are still plenty of ways remaining to contribute (and get rewarded). I set the funding goal at the absolute minimum I'd need to get this thing to reality.

Let's keep the momentum going! Thank you everyone!

mrmaczaps
04-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Truly wow! I'm just blown away at the response. This is fantastic. But, don't let the fact that we met the funding goal already stop you from backing if you haven't yet. There are still plenty of ways remaining to contribute (and get rewarded). I set the funding goal at the absolute minimum I'd need to get this thing to reality.

Let's keep the momentum going! Thank you everyone!

I shared the link from Turtle Power Entertainment this afternoon.

Glad to see this got funded so quickly!

MrPliggins
04-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Awesome project, Rich. This is a milestone issue I just can't pass up. Pledged.

Mayhem
04-15-2017, 04:09 AM
Awesome! Pity I was at my girlfriend's last night during launch (and still am actually) and missed the $100 tier, might have pledged to that. Waiting to see who it might be :)

ToTheNines
04-15-2017, 06:51 AM
Less than 24 hours and the goal has been doubled, so cool.

Redrumh2o
04-15-2017, 08:57 AM
is 1000 still the minimum RE print run?

rich
04-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Awesome project, Rich. This is a milestone issue I just can't pass up. Pledged.

Thanks for the support!

Awesome! Pity I was at my girlfriend's last night during launch (and still am actually) and missed the $100 tier, might have pledged to that. Waiting to see who it might be :)

Sorry man. I had no idea that it would sell out that quickly.

Less than 24 hours and the goal has been doubled, so cool.

Really amazing! Keep spreading the word.

Typically it is. For this project, the minimum will be 1,000 copies but if we were to sell out (or come close to selling out) the entire Kickstarter copies (900) by the end of the campaign, then I'd likely do a higher print run.

Peter Palmer
04-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Pledged! Cool idea!

A little bummed I missed out on the $100 tier. I'm not sure if this is an option, but perhaps you could persuade the artist to do some sketches on any blank interior pages for an even higher tier. I know I'd pick one up. Just a thought.

Thanks, Rich!

rich
04-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Pledged! Cool idea!

A little bummed I missed out on the $100 tier. I'm not sure if this is an option, but perhaps you could persuade the artist to do some sketches on any blank interior pages for an even higher tier. I know I'd pick one up. Just a thought.

Thanks, Rich!

I'll see what I can do. I set the hand-colored tier to the max. amount the artist was willing to hand-color but I can investigate doing something additional.

Nortock Diab
04-16-2017, 03:31 AM
I'm in for a copy Rich.
Great project.

funatic
04-16-2017, 09:46 AM
What a great milestone issue to celebrate, rich! I remember way back when you were polling the masses on here for what they like to see in a variant cover. Glad to see it coming to fruition! Will the cover pay homage to it's record-breaking status?

A little curious why you're not revealing the artist though? If I had to take a guess I'd say it's Lavigne—he's a big Mirage name but his art isn't always highly sought after so maybe that's why you're keeping it secret... and that hand-colored top pledge tier sounds right up his ally with all the great coloring work I've seen him do on other artist's inks. Just my guess, no need to confirm or deny!

I'll definitely be on board no matter who it is or what it looks like! Your site is such a valuable resource, and with all your awesome work delivering the Odyssey books out, I'm happy to throw some greenbacks your way. :tgrin: Looking at how you've more than doubled your goal already, I think many here feel the same. Maybe it's time to consider some STRECH GOALS now to really incentivize and knock this thing out of the park!

rich
04-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the support. You're all awesome and I'm excited to make this project a reality.

In just a bit I will be making an additional 24 copies of the hand-colored tier available. The artist has agreed to do 50 but, I'm only going to sell 49 since yours truly needs a copy. ;-)

1,000 is usually the standard minimum for an RE. Where I think it varies is depending on deals that IDW makes with individuals doing multiple covers or other stuff like that.

Btown
04-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the support. You're all awesome and I'm excited to make this project a reality.

In just a bit I will be making an additional 24 copies of the hand-colored tier available. The artist has agreed to do 50 but, I'm only going to sell 49 since yours truly needs a copy. ;-)

So what is this hand colored edition? Is it like a sketch cover?

TurtleWA
04-16-2017, 12:59 PM
So those that thought they pledged for a 1 of 25 variant are now actually pledged to a 1 of 50. Okay I understand making them available to more folks and spreading the TMNT love. It is about celebrating the milestone. :tgrin:

Perhaps look at the order pledges came in at and make numbered copies. So the first pledge to the $100 tier would receive #1 of 50. Make it a little more right with the first 25.

Thanks for listening Rich and considering this option.

Redrumh2o
04-16-2017, 02:26 PM
So does that mean the cover is b&w?

I suggest some sort or COA of get a facilitator involved and get these CGCSS...... what's to stop say....me.....from just coloring one?

Mewzard
04-16-2017, 02:26 PM
Yeah, after the added copies of the hand-colored one, I broke down and got it. It's going to be a nice little comic to have.

rich
04-16-2017, 02:29 PM
So those that thought they pledged for a 1 of 25 variant are now actually pledged to a 1 of 50. Okay I understand making them available to more folks and spreading the TMNT love. It is about celebrating the milestone. :tgrin:

Perhaps look at the order pledges came in at and make numbered copies. So the first pledge to the $100 tier would receive #1 of 50. Make it a little more right with the first 25.

Thanks for listening Rich and considering this option.

Totally understandable... and I had concerns about adding more to this tier for just the reason you mentioned. But, quite honestly, I completely underestimated the demand for these hand-colored copies and felt an additional 25 would still keep this to a very limited collectible.

I will absolutely take your idea into consideration for the numbering aspect of these. I really like that idea. I don't see a reason I couldn't have the artist hand number these and distribute them to backers in the order backed. Appreciate your feedback on this.

I suggest some sort or COA of get a facilitator involved and get these CGCSS...... what's to stop say....me.....from just coloring one?

The cover will be B&W. It's a good point you make about coloring. As was suggested by @TurtleWA, I think the hand-colored copies will get a hand-numbered designation by the artist. I am looking into the possibility of offering the option of CGC Signature Series labels for any signed or hand-colored copies but I'm still in early stages of working on that.

Yeah, after the added copies of the hand-colored one, I broke down and got it. It's going to be a nice little comic to have.

Awesome! I agree...these will be a nice unique collectible.

TurtleWA
04-16-2017, 02:37 PM

Yeah I also sent a pm a few days ago about CGC.

I love the way encapsulated books look and wasn't sure if I could get it authenticated after receiving it due to the fact I could just sign/color it myself.

What's the largest comic convention in Colorado? In theory couldn't Rich fly the artist to that con where most likely a CGC representative would be attending.

Redrumh2o
04-16-2017, 02:54 PM

I love the way encapsulated books look and wasn't sure if I could get it authenticated after receiving it due to the fact I could just sign/color it myself.

What's the largest comic convention in Colorado? In theory couldn't Rich fly the artist to that con where most likely a CGC representative would be attending.

There would be a couple of ways this could be done. The artist can directly mail the finished books to the facilitator (of those that want them CGC'd). Also since I am assuming said artist is either in New England of California, there are plenty of facilitators that could just pick them up from them. Both would need to be OK'd by CGC first though.

rich
04-16-2017, 02:55 PM

Denver Comic Con is our big one around here. But it's happening before #73 comes out.
I'm going to try and see what I can make happen with the CGC stuff. What would you typically expect to pay extra to get a CGC Signature Series if I added that as an option?

rich
04-16-2017, 02:57 PM
There would be a couple of ways this could be done. The artist can directly mail the finished books to the facilitator (of those that want them CGC'd). Also since I am assuming said artist is either in New England of California, there are plenty of facilitators that could just pick them up from them. Both would need to be OK'd by CGC first though.

I'm going to hit you up on some assistance with the CGC aspect of this. I know you've dealt with this quite a bit in the past. I'll be in touch soon. Thanks for all your input !

Redrumh2o
04-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Denver Comic Con is our big one around here. But it's happening before #73 comes out.
I'm going to try and see what I can make happen with the CGC stuff. What would you typically expect to pay extra to get a CGC Signature Series if I added that as an option?

Most charge $75 to pick up a sketch at a con, have it graded, fast tracked w/ return shipping. I would expect if they were picking them up from bulk someplace or getting them mailed to them it would be more like $60ish

TurtleWA
04-16-2017, 03:09 PM

I'm going to hit you up on some assistance with the CGC aspect of this. I know you've dealt with this quite a bit in the past. I'll be in touch soon. Thanks for all your input !

The thought of CGC involvement as well as individually number by artist has quadrupled my excitement for these! :D

Redrumh2o
04-16-2017, 03:18 PM

I'll do everything I can to help!

Peter Palmer
04-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Rich,

I'd be more than happy to help out you and Nick if you want to go the CGC SS route. Just let me know if you need anything.

Powder
04-16-2017, 06:45 PM
I don't collect variants but you're a good dude so I'm glad this was a success. Congrats!

Peter Palmer
04-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Re-pledged!

rich
04-16-2017, 08:43 PM
I'll do everything I can to help!

Rich,

I'd be more than happy to help out you and Nick if you want to go the CGC SS route. Just let me know if you need anything.

Thank you guys for your assistance. I'm definitely going to pursue trying to the CGC SS option set up for anyone that wants it. @Redrumh2o gave me a contact at CGC that I'm going to start with but @Peter Palmer, I will absolutely accept your help. If you have anything to share or would like to impart some knowledge, just PM me. Thanks!

I don't collect variants but you're a good dude so I'm glad this was a success. Congrats!

Thanks man! Appreciate that.

Btown
04-16-2017, 11:41 PM
Just went in for the Hand Colored edition. Really looking forward to this. If the CGC option comes up I'm def in for that as well.

So-CoAddict
04-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Pledged. Excited. :D

rich
04-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Just went in for the Hand Colored edition. Really looking forward to this. If the CGC option comes up I'm def in for that as well.

Pledged. Excited. :D

Thanks to you both! Still working on the CGC portion...may take me a bit to get all the info. for that but I'm finding out.

Redrumh2o
04-18-2017, 05:20 PM
I suggest you plug this on the CGC boards, both in the TMNT thread and the Comics Market forum......I think you would get some more backers from there!

rich
04-18-2017, 08:14 PM
I suggest you plug this on the CGC boards, both in the TMNT thread and the Comics Market forum......I think you would get some more backers from there!

Great idea! I just shared in the CGC TMNT thread but I'm not sure it fits the rules of the Comics Market thread so I didn't post it there. Let me know if you think I'm reading their rules wrong.

Toitlefan
04-18-2017, 11:51 PM
Awesome idea Rich! I've pledged for a couple of copies already but I have some questions about the CGC option. I understand you are still looking into it and may not have answers so maybe just some things to think about...

1. Is there any guarantee on the grade? (9.2 vs 9.8 etc.) If not, will they be priced differently?

2. Will we know who the artist is before we make the decision on whether or not we want them graded?

3. Will you grade unsigned copies as well?

Andrew NDB
04-19-2017, 01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure if Rich is going about this at this level, it's going to be an A-list TMNT artist. Ye shouldn't worry.

rich
04-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Awesome idea Rich! I've pledged for a couple of copies already but I have some questions about the CGC option. I understand you are still looking into it and may not have answers so maybe just some things to think about...

1. Is there any guarantee on the grade? (9.2 vs 9.8 etc.) If not, will they be priced differently?

2. Will we know who the artist is before we make the decision on whether or not we want them graded?

3. Will you grade unsigned copies as well?

Good things to think about. I don't know how I'd guarantee a specific grade of book since that's pretty much out of my hands. But I can select the best copies possible for hand-coloring and signing. I'll likely have to issue a disclaimer to anyone wanting the CGC option...that by opting in to do it that you are agreeing to not guaranteed a specific grade. Or, maybe I can guarantee 9.4 or above...which seems do-able.

Specifically to the hand-colored though...I can tell you that I'd gladly offer to buy back any copy of the hand-colored if someone felt the copy they received was too low a grade. I have numerous people that missed out on that tier that would easily take that book in any grade possible. I won't be increasing the quantity of those above 50.

As for unsigned books getting graded, not sure at this point. I'll put that on the docket for discussion with CGC when I'm able.

And yes, you'll know the artist well-before it comes time to grade. If all goes according to plan, you'll know the artist sooner than later. ;)

Thanks for the questions.

Ryan.
04-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Anyone is free to submit their unsigned copies on their own to CGC. I'd recommend not offering that option, as I'm not sure what the upside would be.

rich
04-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Anyone is free to submit their unsigned copies on their own to CGC. I'd recommend not offering that option, as I'm not sure what the upside would be.

Thanks for the input Ryan. I am unsure about the unsigned / raw copies at this point. I have a bit of time to decide.

Jasper-X
04-21-2017, 01:31 PM
I got in on this a little late. If anyone who bought a hand colored copy decides they no longer want it and would like to sell it, I would love to grab one!

Redrumh2o
04-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the input Ryan. I am unsure about the unsigned / raw copies at this point. I have a bit of time to decide.

I agree.....if they want to do it they can just do it themselves. It would just be a headache for you as people would expect specific grades and complain about low ones and such. The whole batch could come in 9.4s and 9.6s for all you know. I would just keep it with the hand colored as those as special and it would serve as a form of authentication

rich
04-23-2017, 11:15 AM
The project just reached Stretch Goal #1 and so the cover artist has been revealed! Head on over to Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/163025140/variant-cover-for-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-73) or my website (http://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/) to check it out. :D

tomtmnt
04-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Thrilled to bits its Jim Lawson.

Can't wait to get my hand coloured copy now :)

Freeman
04-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Found out about the project through FB TMNT board game page and I'm really happy you are making this happen.
Should know more about shipping costs to Europe before getting onboard ;)

rich
04-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Found out about the project through FB TMNT board game page and I'm really happy you are making this happen.
Should know more about shipping costs to Europe before getting onboard ;)

Shipping is $4 US, $8 CAN, $11 MEX, and $15 elsewhere worldwide.

dripgutz24
04-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Jim Lawson!! That's awesome, do you know if these covers will all be the same art or all different cover art for each individual?

Freeman
04-23-2017, 07:23 PM
Shipping is $4 US, $8 CAN, $11 MEX, and $15 elsewhere worldwide.

Euro friendly?
Spanish customs are turning to be the most deadly and fearsome enemy of my collection...

rich
04-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Jim Lawson!! That's awesome, do you know if these covers will all be the same art or all different cover art for each individual?

I'm not sure I understand the question. This will be a single Retailer Exclusive (RE) cover for my website with cover art by Jim Lawson.

Euro friendly?
Spanish customs are turning to be the most deadly and fearsome enemy of my collection...

Where did you see "Euro friendly?" That's nothing I listed.

Mayhem
04-24-2017, 03:17 AM
I'm not sure I understand the question. This will be a single Retailer Exclusive (RE) cover for my website with cover art by Jim Lawson.
He was wondering if all the hand coloured pledgers get different artwork. No, all copies of the RE are the same b/w artwork, just 49 of us also get Jim hand colouring the cover as well.

Where did you see "Euro friendly?" That's nothing I listed.
No, he was asking if it was Euro friendly. Sadly, it won't be, all issues will be mailed out from the US, but I'm sure you may not have a problem marking down Customs values for some of us, perhaps? ;)

rich
04-24-2017, 07:17 AM
He was wondering if all the hand coloured pledgers get different artwork. No, all copies of the RE are the same b/w artwork, just 49 of us also get Jim hand colouring the cover as well.

No, he was asking if it was Euro friendly. Sadly, it won't be, all issues will be mailed out from the US, but I'm sure you may not have a problem marking down Customs values for some of us, perhaps? ;)

OK, thanks for the clarifications. And I'm sorry this can't be more Euro-friendly.

As for customs forms, so there's no misunderstanding, they will receive the value for the tier(s) that each individual backed.

Btown
04-24-2017, 01:36 PM
so I have been in transit to get to my deployed location but I have been keeping up with the emails from kickstarter and I have to say I'm excited that Lawson is the cover artist.

rich
04-24-2017, 02:00 PM
so I have been in transit to get to my deployed location but I have been keeping up with the emails from kickstarter and I have to say I'm excited that Lawson is the cover artist.

Best wishes to you and thank you for your service!

UPDATE 4/25/2017
And...we just met our 2nd stretch goal which means Jim's artwork for this cover has been revealed ONLY to Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/163025140/variant-cover-for-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-73) backers.

Btown
04-26-2017, 10:57 AM
UPDATE 4/25/2017
And...we just met our 2nd stretch goal which means Jim's artwork for this cover has been revealed ONLY to Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/163025140/variant-cover-for-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-73) backers.

Loving that cover!!

myconius
04-30-2017, 01:26 PM
this is seriously an awesome venture!

are you still accepting funding for this Rich?

rich
04-30-2017, 01:30 PM
this is seriously an awesome venture!

are you still accepting funding for this Rich?

Absolutely! Still nearly 2 weeks remaining. Just 3 from reaching 200 backers and just $800 away from meeting Stretch Goal #3.

myconius
04-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Absolutely! Still nearly 2 weeks remaining. Just 3 from reaching 200 backers and just $800 away from meeting Stretch Goal #3.

very cool! i'll PM you to find out more details :)

myconius
04-30-2017, 02:26 PM
i've never used kickstarter before, but i finally figured out how to sign up as a backer. :)

Jasper-X
05-08-2017, 10:29 AM
just wondering if anyone who purchased the colored in cover had buyers remorse and was thinking about selling it, feel free the DM me!

Peter Palmer
05-10-2017, 06:05 AM
We are cruising through some of these stretch goals. The next one would be REALLY nice to hit, but I'm not optimistic.

Great job, Rich. Glad to see there's so much support!

rich
05-10-2017, 08:43 AM
We are cruising through some of these stretch goals. The next one would be REALLY nice to hit, but I'm not optimistic.

Great job, Rich. Glad to see there's so much support!

Thanks! Next one's a big stretch...but would be very nice indeed. Still 4 days left though...

Nortock Diab
05-10-2017, 09:03 AM
So glad to see this campaign goes well.
I hope we reach this next goal!

Redrumh2o
05-13-2017, 04:34 PM
Bump....come on....lets get that heavy stock!!!

CGC info is now up BTW!

Mewzard
05-14-2017, 09:00 PM
The Kickstarter has succeeded, and it's quite the gem thus far.

A hand-colored and hand signed Jim Lawson cover, on quality paper, with the option for a custom sketch on the back and CGC Signature Series grading.

I can't wait to see this beauty in my collection.

rich
05-15-2017, 06:39 AM
The Kickstarter has succeeded, and it's quite the gem thus far.

A hand-colored and hand signed Jim Lawson cover, on quality paper, with the option for a custom sketch on the back and CGC Signature Series grading.

I can't wait to see this beauty in my collection.

This is going to be a really great variant. Very excited that it's happening. Appreciate everyone's support.

Peter Palmer
05-15-2017, 09:27 AM
This is going to be a really great variant. Very excited that it's happening. Appreciate everyone's support.

I didn't think we were going to get that last stretch goal. Shows what I know! :lol:

Congrats on the successful campaign. I'll be very excited to see this progress.

rich
05-15-2017, 10:17 AM
I didn't think we were going to get that last stretch goal. Shows what I know! :lol:

Congrats on the successful campaign. I'll be very excited to see this progress.

Honestly, I thought we'd top out near meeting the 3rd one...and in the end we got 3 and 4. The latter being the one that's the game-changer. That heavy stock sketch paper was way out of reach...pretty much $2 more per copy. Now it's a reality. Awesome!

Btown
05-16-2017, 02:17 PM
thank you Rich for doing this and thanks to everyone that contributed to this. Can't wait to see and later on get my copy of this sure to be amazing issue.

rich
05-16-2017, 02:36 PM
thank you Rich for doing this and thanks to everyone that contributed to this. Can't wait to see and later on get my copy of this sure to be amazing issue.

Thank you all for the support. It's really going to be awesome!

AquaParade
05-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Great choice for an artist and a fun idea. I came close to diving in for a signed copy, but not being able to view the cover until you contribute is what detered me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was the arrangement.

Still, happy for all of you that got involved. I'm sure the covers are going to look awesome. I'm pretty sure Jim Lawson does commissions from his website too, which I've been thinking about doing.

Take it easy,
John

rich
05-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Great choice for an artist and a fun idea. I came close to diving in for a signed copy, but not being able to view the cover until you contribute is what detered me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was the arrangement.

Still, happy for all of you that got involved. I'm sure the covers are going to look awesome. I'm pretty sure Jim Lawson does commissions from his website too, which I've been thinking about doing.

Take it easy,
John

Yes, only Kickstarter backers were able to see the front and back covers. But, the artist was announced to everyone and most everyone knows what Jim's style is like. I felt like it was a nice perk for backers to get to see the cover first. I know that meant some people didn't back it but I figured people that only wanted to see the cover would back it and then, if they didn't want the cover, they'd just cancel their pledge prior to campaign end.

I'm not sure of Jim's commission arrangement but he's very approachable and I'm sure that will work out as well.

Appreciate your interest. Copies will be made available for sale via my website after they are released in August.
-rich

TurtleWA
05-16-2017, 04:17 PM
I am excited to get this sure to be beautiful CGC slabbed book in my sweaty little hands. Will be my first yellow label. Congrats Rich on pulling it off, I know it couldn't have been all smooth sailing. :tgrin:

rich
05-16-2017, 04:21 PM
I am excited to get this sure to be beautiful CGC slabbed book in my sweaty little hands. Will be my first yellow label. Congrats Rich on pulling it off, I know it couldn't have been all smooth sailing. :tgrin:

Thanks! It was a great campaign and went well but it was (and will continue to be) a lot of work. But it will pay off for everyone...this cover will be sweet!

Mobius37
05-21-2017, 08:41 PM
I completely missed out on the Kickstarter! Anyway to jump on it here?

rich
05-22-2017, 12:32 AM
I completely missed out on the Kickstarter! Anyway to jump on it here?

Sorry to hear! Now that the Kickstarter campaign is over, I can only provide the Kickstarter benefits and perks to backers of the project. However, copies of this variant will be available for sale in August when TMNT #73 releases. Appreciate your interest.

Peter Palmer
07-19-2017, 05:38 AM
I got an e-mail last night telling me to pay for the extras. I wanted to come here and let people know to check their e-mails to see if they got a similar message. I don't think Rich will be sending out reminder e-mails, so if you want the extras, show him the $$$. :tgrin:

TurtleWA
08-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Getting closer. Very Exciting! :tgrin:

Quick question, did it get finalized that the hand-colored copies would indeed receive hand-numbered designation and then be distributed according to backing order?

Also, are all the hand-colored copies going for CGCSS or did some backers decide CGC was not for them?

Thanks Rich

Mayhem
08-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Also, are all the hand-colored copies going for CGCSS or did some backers decide CGC was not for them?
I'm not getting my copy graded, so there will be at least one heh.

rich
08-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Getting closer. Very Exciting! :tgrin:

Quick question, did it get finalized that the hand-colored copies would indeed receive hand-numbered designation and then be distributed according to backing order?

Thanks Rich

Yes, the hand-colored copies will all be hand-numbered by Jim ON THE FRONT (voting was 35 to 11 for those that responded) and they will be distributed by order of backer number. 17 of the 50 hand-colored copies will not be CGC graded as the buyers declined that option on them.

mrmaczaps
08-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Rich, did you notice printed on the inside cover, IDW failed to get your website address correct? It just says "ninjaturtles.com"...

TurtleWA
08-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Yes, the hand-colored copies will all be hand-numbered by Jim ON THE FRONT (voting was 35 to 11 for those that responded) and they will be distributed by order of backer number. 17 of the 50 hand-colored copies will not be CGC graded as the buyers declined that option on them.

Sounds good. Thanks. :tgrin:

rich
08-02-2017, 02:51 PM
Rich, did you notice printed on the inside cover, IDW failed to get your website address correct? It just says "ninjaturtles.com"...

No, I haven't yet seen a copy of #73 (any variant) since it just came out today. That totally sucks...ninjaturtles.com just redirects to nick.com. Ugh.
Thanks for letting me know. Can you shoot me a pic or scan of the inside?

Mewzard
08-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Couldn't resist the custom sketch and CGC grading to go with my hand-colored and signed copy of the issue. That's going to be one of the treasures of my comic collection. :D

mrmaczaps
08-02-2017, 09:19 PM
No, I haven't yet seen a copy of #73 (any variant) since it just came out today. That totally sucks...ninjaturtles.com just redirects to nick.com. Ugh.
Thanks for letting me know. Can you shoot me a pic or scan of the inside?

Not sure how to on here so I'll send it over via facebook messenger...

rich
08-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Not sure how to on here so I'll send it over via facebook messenger...

I found it...it's wrong. :(

Powder
08-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Man, that is MAJORLY sucky. So sorry to hear that.

mrmaczaps
08-02-2017, 09:44 PM
I found it...it's wrong. :(

I was bummed. Almost ripped my regular cover off when I read it... its like "damn spent that time and effort to do this awesome thing....and traffic is just headed to nick.com".... sucks.

Maybe it will need a second printing, not your cover, and they can fix it in that.... ha.

Congrats on it coming out just the same though dude. Can't wait to get my copies.

rich
08-02-2017, 09:56 PM
I was bummed. Almost ripped my regular cover off when I read it... its like "damn spent that time and effort to do this awesome thing....and traffic is just headed to nick.com".... sucks.

Maybe it will need a second printing, not your cover, and they can fix it in that.... ha.

Congrats on it coming out just the same though dude. Can't wait to get my copies.

It's still a great cover regardless. I'll focus on the positive...cant change what's alreadt done. Can't wait to have it in hand.

TurtleWA
08-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Hi Rich, will Jim be sending you any progress pics that you would be able to share? Also am I correct in thinking Jim will send the designated books straight to CGC and CGC will send the SS graded books back to you for delivery?

rich
08-22-2017, 03:52 PM
Hi Rich, will Jim be sending you any progress pics that you would be able to share? Also am I correct in thinking Jim will send the designated books straight to CGC and CGC will send the SS graded books back to you for delivery?

If Jim is willing to take pictures and send them then I can do that. I'll ask him when he gets the books.
For CGC books, you're correct. Jim will send to CGC and then CGC will send to me. I will then package them up with any raw books and then ship them out. Those are still a few months away...but I think it will be worth it.

TurtleWA
08-22-2017, 04:23 PM
If Jim is willing to take pictures and send them then I can do that. I'll ask him when he gets the books.
For CGC books, you're correct. Jim will send to CGC and then CGC will send to me. I will then package them up with any raw books and then ship them out. Those are still a few months away...but I think it will be worth it.

Thanks. Sounds fantastic.

spookycookies
08-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Can I ask how the books will be delivered when they are shipped? (USPS, UPS, FedEx etc...) I got the raw/signed option with a sketch and as I understand it there is still months before that will be ready to ship, but the problem is I plan on moving in December. I believe USPS will forward everything to the new address but I am not sure about the other delevery systems. What should we do in this case Rich?

rich
08-28-2017, 11:21 AM
If you missed out on the Kickstarter, copies of my TMNT #73 variant are now available for direct sale. Details here (http://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/tmnt-73-cover-re-tmnt-collection-now-sale/).