PDA

View Full Version : Hybrids, anthros, humanoids etc in entertainment, culture, and so on...

IndigoErth
04-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Why is it so popular? Was just having a good 'think' over that and seriously, what is the psychology that makes it SO common? And across virtually all of humanity, for eons.

Whether its our beloved humanoid Turtles (who may or may not be hybrids depending on version and preference) and the massive amount of other humanoid, hybrid or otherwise anthro characters in cartoons and other entertainment, the humanized animals in books, esp those for children, or animal-headed gods of ancient Egypt; Pan, the Minotaur, Centaur and others from Greek mythology; Ganesha of India; skinwalkers and other shape shifters (somewhat fit I guess), kappa, mermaids, and so on across many other cultures.

Why is this so common? Not that I want humanity to stop, of course; cultural history is richer for it and our modern additions only add in more. (Even if they are more likely to be pop culture icons today, rather than deities, spirits, etc.**) But it's just...interesting that humanity is so in love with the concept, and I've not really found any sources for studies or whatnot that even attempt to explain why.

Is humanity just really lonely and bored? ;)

**Although it would be fun to know how the Turtles would have been depicted had they been thought up centuries or millennia ago and associated with stories of those times. (Other than being lumped in with kappa.)

CyberCubed
04-14-2017, 09:21 PM
It's kinda weird being a TMNT fan and hating humanoid animals in virtually all other types of media. I mean I know TMNT and all the other mutants in the series are essentially, "humanoid anthro animals" but for some reason I don't think of them that way when I watch TMNT, etc. Maybe because I was exposed to TMNT as a kid so I don't think of them that way?

I can accept talking animals in some other kids cartoons or videogames, but for the most part I can't really stand it anymore. If the characters aren't human I just lose interest immediately.

sdp
04-14-2017, 09:25 PM
I love anthropomorphic animals even after the bad rep they get thanks to all the furries.

Wildcat
04-14-2017, 10:30 PM
Some furry characters are hot though. They were purposely designed that way sooo... :D

Well animals have always been around so I don't see why it's so surprising that anthro characters would be popular. There's only so many ways to portray humans and aliens.

sdp
04-14-2017, 10:51 PM
Some furry characters are hot though. They were purposely designed that way sooo... :D

I know what you mean. I'm not really 'attracted' to any cartoon character, let alone an anthropomorphic one but I understand that an anthropomorphic female is drawn to be sexy.

There's just a fine line in a random comment like "Cheetarah is hot" and actually taking it a step further. :lol:

IndigoErth
04-14-2017, 10:59 PM
but for some reason I don't think of them that way when I watch TMNT, etc. Maybe because I was exposed to TMNT as a kid so I don't think of them that way?
Yeah, likewise I just accept the Turtles as people.

Really, it immediately turns into who's hot? :lol:

snake
04-14-2017, 11:04 PM
We like to personify things. Also marketability.

TMNT_Guy
04-14-2017, 11:10 PM
I don't really put much thought into them, I just see them as characters like I would any human one. As long as the character is likable and the story is enjoyable it doesn't matter to me what it is.

A good video to watch if you're the least bit curious about the history of anthropomorphized animals and people that are passionate about them. Fun fact: Only about 37% of furries are attracted to cartoon animals.
WhDHx6Cisdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDHx6Cisdg

plastroncafe
04-14-2017, 11:12 PM
It's just something we do, as a species.
We imagine other species to be just like us.

snake
I don't really put much thought into them, I just see them as characters like I would any human one. As long as the character is likable and the story is enjoyable it doesn't matter to me what it is.

A good video to watch if you're the least bit curious about the history of anthropomorphized animals and people that are passionate about them. Fun fact: Only about 37% of furries are attracted to cartoon animals.

This is an ass-pull number.

DestronMirage22
I love anthropomorphic animals even after the bad rep they get thanks to all the furries.

Same here. Don't know what it is, but I've always found them pretty cool. Some of my favorite franchises (TMNT, Usagi Yojimbo, Sonic the Hedgehog) all include anthropomorphic animals.

Wildcat
04-15-2017, 12:36 AM
There's just a fine line in a random comment like "Cheetarah is hot" and actually taking it a step further. :lol:In all seriousness I don't think it's bad, or even that weird, to be attracted to any cartoon characters. Only difference is they're made up.

That video posted above was pretty good. I agree with the analysis. There's no one reason any fetish exists. It's personal context.

I don't consider myself a "furry". I don't have a mascot costume, I don't have autism and I certainly do not like zoophilia or beastiality but I will admit I am attracted to some characters. Human and furry. Others here probably are too but won't admit it. That's fine.

It's all in good fun ;)

DisKosh
04-15-2017, 12:48 AM
For me, it's the creativity that comes along with them. I don't have a fursona but given some of my interests, people may define me as a furry.

I enjoy stories about animals, have done ever since I was a kid. I love Watership Down, the Animals of Farthing Wood, the Wind in the Willows etc. As an adult I've written a few of myself, I like the amount of creative freedom it gives you aesthetically.
For instance, animals are beautiful and adorable in nature, clothes are fascinating because we use them to express ourselves so combining the two is liberating.

As far as hybrids go, it creates questions as far as humanity goes. Is this person human or are they this mysterious creature? Are they both? Can such duality exist? Do they embrace one side more than another?
There is so much potential for intriguing conflict.

IndigoErth
04-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Well, I have to give the costume furries credit for one thing - a lot of those costumes are incredibly well done. I hope some of these people aren't wasting those talents on just 'hobby' work.

As far as hybrids go, it creates questions as far as humanity goes. Is this person human or are they this mysterious creature? Are they both? Can such duality exist? Do they embrace one side more than another?
There is so much potential for intriguing conflict.
That's one thing I've considered, in terms of fiction, if anyone ever dared bring a version of Venus or some other female Turtle back in. It may catch our guys' notice of course, but lets say that maybe it turns out, and they come to realize, that she's a lot less human than they are (perhaps even looks a little less so than they do). Kind of like Nick Leatherhead in a way; more animalistic and unpredictable. Might be interesting to see how that sits with the guys and what introspection on their own selves that causes. (I vote for mutant alligator snapper. That would be one lady you don't mess with. lol)

DisKosh
04-16-2017, 12:33 AM
That's one thing I've considered, in terms of fiction, if anyone ever dared bring a version of Venus or some other female Turtle back in. It may catch our guys' notice of course, but lets say that maybe it turns out, and they come to realize, that she's a lot less human than they are (perhaps even looks a little less so than they do). Kind of like Nick Leatherhead in a way; more animalistic and unpredictable. Might be interesting to see how that sits with the guys and what introspection on their own selves that causes. (I vote for mutant alligator snapper. That would be one lady you don't mess with. lol)

That's what I would like to see this franchise do a lot more of. It's present but it doesn't often come to the forefront, I think perhaps it would be considered too heavy but it doesn't need to be upfront all the time. Perhaps as you say, it could cause introspection that's in the background but surfaces when something triggers it.

Coola Yagami
04-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Well, I have to give the costume furries credit for one thing - a lot of those costumes are incredibly well done. I hope some of these people aren't wasting those talents on just 'hobby' work.

The weird thing is, mona lisa 2017 literally looks like a giant lizard/salamander and some people still want her. I honestly don't get it. That's like wanting to kiss a giant lizard.

That's the thing that gets me with furries. Yeah, I'd admit Cheetara is hot, she was drawn that way, but at the end of the day she's basically a blonde woman with a few extra spots. Furries are into.... weird cartoonish animals that are more animal than human. Like a fox that's pretty much a giant real fox walking in two legs. Not say.... something that looks like a human woman with fox ears or whatever. It just baffles me as to why they would want anything to do with said hypothetical fox that would basically be kissing a real fox.

I mean sure girls liking the turtles might be weird but at least they look kinda like weird green humans with shells. They don't look like tokka. Or leatherhead.

I always feel awkward when i see furries at an anime con. its like dude... this is dragonball and superheroes... take your bizzare fetish elsewhere please, it's not that kind of con...

IndigoErth
04-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Yeah, if anyone has a thing for Tokka or Leatherhead then I hope it is something in the character personalities they're drawn to.

I could see Leatherhead circa 2003 happening maybe a bit in that regard since he's prob the most mentally human-like of them, at least of those I'm familiar with. Not to be bustin on anyone's own...persuasions. To each their own, I try not to think too far into that.

But really, if someone is into Tokka, when the only versions we've gotten is a lava spewing space monster and an overgrown 'baby' that can only scream "mama!"... wow. No comment. :tlol: But the psychological explanation would be interesting.

The Turtles get an easy pass imo, and admittedly to some extent guilty as charged depending on how they're depicted. (Not all versions make the list of "must snuggle to pieces.") Like Cheetara its ultimately the human elements inside and out. Granted I don't recall if Cheetara had much of a personality... Female character from the 80s? Eh... At least the Turtles have that covered. (Heck, there's even a Turtle with 'furry' kind of interests, what with Raph's history of being into fox/coyote women. lol There is truly a Turtle for everyone.)

that would basically be kissing a real fox.
Not to mention their way of 'kissing' might be the same as a pet dog. Awkwarrrrrd... :lol: But maybe I just don't see the appeal of all over face licking. lol

TurtleWA
04-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Why is it so popular? Was just having a good 'think' over that and seriously, what is the psychology that makes it SO common? And across virtually all of humanity, for eons.

Whether its our beloved humanoid Turtles (who may or may not be hybrids depending on version and preference) and the massive amount of other humanoid, hybrid or otherwise anthro characters in cartoons and other entertainment, the humanized animals in books, esp those for children, or animal-headed gods of ancient Egypt; Pan, the Minotaur, Centaur and others from Greek mythology; Ganesha of India; skinwalkers and other shape shifters (somewhat fit I guess), kappa, mermaids, and so on across many other cultures.

Why is this so common? Not that I want humanity to stop, of course; cultural history is richer for it and our modern additions only add in more. (Even if they are more likely to be pop culture icons today, rather than deities, spirits, etc.**) But it's just...interesting that humanity is so in love with the concept, and I've not really found any sources for studies or whatnot that even attempt to explain why.

Is humanity just really lonely and bored? ;)

**Although it would be fun to know how the Turtles would have been depicted had they been thought up centuries or millennia ago and associated with stories of those times. (Other than being lumped in with kappa.)

Maybe having the human story lines depicted by non humans is a way to allow the audience to let their guards down emotionally and invest in the story. Could also have started as a way to illustrate points and educate societies in ancient times. But Hollywood just took it and ran with it.

IndigoErth
04-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Good points to consider.

I know, I went off wanting some deep topic on a cartoon fan site, but eh, why not. :trazz: Just interesting to me that it's such a very human thing to personify other creatures, and been done for so long; like in old Native American stories where animals talk and interact and teach lessons, etc. Most other creatures would not give less of a crap about us, but we're endlessly wanting to include them in a more human part of the world.

ProactiveMan
04-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Creativity seems to work that way - we tend to make things out of other things.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-20-2017, 07:11 PM
In all seriousness I don't think it's bad, or even that weird, to be attracted to any cartoon characters. Only difference is they're made up.

That video posted above was pretty good. I agree with the analysis. There's no one reason any fetish exists. It's personal context.

I don't consider myself a "furry". I don't have a mascot costume, I don't have autism and I certainly do not like zoophilia or beastiality but I will admit I am attracted to some characters. Human and furry. Others here probably are too but won't admit it. That's fine.

It's all in good fun ;)

I will admit to it freely. I don't consider myself a "furry" but yes I will admit that I do have an attraction of sorts to certain anthro characters. Mostly I think it depends on the personality. Beast from X-Men, Mikey (of course!), Vincent from the old Beauty and the Beast tv series, to name a few. Most of the ones I have had a "thing" for (in whatever form) have something inherantly noble and good in them. They are representatives of the best nature in man and animal alike.

Yeah, if anyone has a thing for Tokka or Leatherhead then I hope it is something in the character personalities they're drawn to.

I could see Leatherhead circa 2003 happening maybe a bit in that regard since he's prob the most mentally human-like of them, at least of those I'm familiar with. Not to be bustin on anyone's own...persuasions. To each their own, I try not to think too far into that.

But really, if someone is into Tokka, when the only versions we've gotten is a lava spewing space monster and an overgrown 'baby' that can only scream "mama!"... wow. No comment. :tlol: But the psychological explanation would be interesting.

The Turtles get an easy pass imo, and admittedly to some extent guilty as charged depending on how they're depicted. (Not all versions make the list of "must snuggle to pieces.") Like Cheetara its ultimately the human elements inside and out. Granted I don't recall if Cheetara had much of a personality... Female character from the 80s? Eh... At least the Turtles have that covered. (Heck, there's even a Turtle with 'furry' kind of interests, what with Raph's history of being into fox/coyote women. lol There is truly a Turtle for everyone.)

Not to mention their way of 'kissing' might be the same as a pet dog. Awkwarrrrrd... :lol: But maybe I just don't see the appeal of all over face licking. lol

Hey some people LIKE wet dog kisses LOL!! Personally I prefer kitty "nose-bump" kisses. They are sweeter and less common. But as to Leatherhead, as someone who has spent time on TMNT fan-fic sites and in and around the "furry"(and even a few T'cest) TMNT fan crowd, I can say that even he has his fangirls. Not quite sure WHY, but they are mostly harmless and just have different taste in uh, "men". I guess....

Good points to consider.

I know, I went off wanting some deep topic on a cartoon fan site, but eh, why not. :trazz: Just interesting to me that it's such a very human thing to personify other creatures, and been done for so long; like in old Native American stories where animals talk and interact and teach lessons, etc. Most other creatures would not give less of a crap about us, but we're endlessly wanting to include them in a more human part of the world.

Hey nothing wrong with that! Speaking from a spiritual aspect, at its heart, anthropomorphism is an echo of the time when animals were teachers and guides (and in some cultures still are!) both in the spiritual world and the physical. Totem animals are a powerful way of harnessing and understanding traits we admire in those animals. To personify them in a human form is something people have done for millenia as part of the learning process. To speak with an animal spirit guide is both a gift and a lesson. I've done this myself a few times- I know the form and names of several of my animal totems(it is possible to have several) and call on their help in times of need. (Among mine are a spider, black panther, falcon, dragonfly, and dolphin.) Humans have largely forgotten their place in nature and their connection to it- in a way, characters like Usagi , the TMNT and even Egyptian gods like Bastet help to remind us of that connection. We are more part of them- and they of us- than most of us realize. The next time you spend time with your pet, take a few moments to REALLY look at him/her and listen to/watch your pet's voice and body language! You might be surprised what you learn....