PDA

View Full Version : Happy Easter!

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-16-2017, 06:31 AM
I can't understand why this thread hasn't been started until now. Today's Easter_Sunday.

Wesley
04-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Happy Easter, everyone!

IndigoErth
04-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Happy Easter! :D

Hope Christian members are having a nice day; hope my fellow secular-observing nons are as well, even if it just means an excuse for candy.

Here, have a PD Leo in bunny ears... :trazz::tlol:

http://i.imgur.com/OsYi0dk.jpg

DarkFell
04-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Have a good Easter guys. For those of you that enjoy a good chocolate bunny ..it still is fun to eat the ears off first.:trazz:

Optimus Primer
04-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Happy Easter, guys! No Usagi smilie :tsad:, so this party hat will have to do. :tparty:

Have a good Easter guys. For those of you that enjoy a good chocolate bunny ..it still is fun to eat the ears off first.:trazz:

I agree!

Krutch
04-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Happy Easter, everyone! You're all the closest thing I have to company on this holiday so thankssssss...!?

CyberCubed
04-16-2017, 04:13 PM
I don't think I've celebrated Easter since I was like 12 years old, only because I used to paint those eggs in school or whatever. What is Easter even supposed to be celebrating? I don't even know besides hunting eggs.

Cure
04-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Happy Easter, all. He is risen.

TigerClaw
04-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Happy Easter Everybody!
https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/853624035959341056

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9iuiPuXoAA0kYj.jpg:small

MsMarvelDuckie
04-16-2017, 07:44 PM
I don't think I've celebrated Easter since I was like 12 years old, only because I used to paint those eggs in school or whatever. What is Easter even supposed to be celebrating? I don't even know besides hunting eggs.

I can't even tell if you're joking or if this is a legitimate face-palm moment....

Anyway, happy Easter(Ostera) everyone!!

ToTheNines
04-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Yes, Happy Easter y'all!

Cool picture, TC. Thanks for sharing.

MikeandRaph87
04-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Hope Halcome Hare still visits some of you. Happy Easter to all.

Also, I took time to remember something that effected me personally today.
http://frankandsharon.net/tribute/vtomribbon2.png

DisKosh
04-17-2017, 07:41 AM
Happy Easter! :D

Hope Christian members are having a nice day; hope my fellow secular-observing nons are as well, even if it just means an excuse for candy.

Here, have a PD Leo in bunny ears... :trazz::tlol:

http://i.imgur.com/OsYi0dk.jpg

Leo's so adorable in bunny ears! :D

(Headcanon: Shadow put them on him).

Depends on the context, in church it was about Jesus rising from the dead and ascending to heaven, in school it was about Spring. I think spring and new life is the pagan context although it's not called Easter.

Anyway, life seems to be the thread connecting all meanings and that's always worth celebrating no matter the religion or lack of it.

Happy Life everyone! :)

IndigoErth
04-17-2017, 12:30 PM

:D Still had one with a Santa hat in my profile until the other day, figured I'd aught to update that. lol (Was later tempted to Photoshop in a little facepaint too... :tlol:)

ToTheNines
04-17-2017, 01:04 PM
Depends on the context, in church it was about Jesus rising from the dead and ascending to heaven, in school it was about Spring. I think spring and new life is the pagan context although it's not called Easter.

Anyway, life seems to be the thread connecting all meanings and that's always worth celebrating no matter the religion or lack of it.

Germanic pagans worshipped Ēostre at the beginning of Spring/April, and she was the goddess of fertility, hence the rabbit.

Early Christians had chosen to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus in conjunction with Passover. Which, as we know, always ends up in late March/early Spring. So they merged together, just like Christmas and Yule.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-17-2017, 05:44 PM

You are correct, mon ami! It is indeed a pagan celebration of birth and renewal as this is the time when flowers bloom, many animals are born or hatched, and crops begin to grow. We Wiccans call it Ostara or Alban Eiler.

Germanic pagans worshipped Ēostre at the beginning of Spring/April, and she was the goddess of fertility, hence the rabbit.

Early Christians had chosen to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus in conjunction with Passover. Which, as we know, always ends up in late March/early Spring. So they merged together, just like Christmas and Yule.

Yes and no. Easter is based around the pagan celebration, but Eostre/Ostara actually comes during the Spring Exquinox. They only coincide if the Equinox happens to coincide with Passover. Otherwise, Easter is a bit later. Also, the Celts and Norse had traditions of their own regarding the Equinox as well.

MikeandRaph87
04-17-2017, 06:27 PM

Very true. Christians took pagan holidays and placed its own biggest ones at the exact times in addition to absorbing some of its practices as a way of attracting new followers. If I am not mistaken Eostre turned a bird who was freezing to death into a rabbit so it come be warm and live yet still produced bird eggs. Out of gratitude for the pagan goddess the bird turned rabbit painted the eggs. The tradition with the pagan story was absorbed in early 1600s around the time of the Protestant Reformation gaining full steam in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if it was to maintain followers.

Also,always remember the fallen at VT.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-17-2017, 07:02 PM
And thus was the Cadbury bunny born! Lol!

DarkFell
04-17-2017, 10:31 PM
And thus was the Cadbury bunny born! Lol!
I still like the Cadbury Bunny Tryout commercial.
731B20sSX1w

Thanks for the info on Easter lore; I knew about the 'merging' of both Christmas and old Yule traditions, but knew absolutely nothing about Ēostre.

Pretty cool info sharing guys - thanks.