PDA

View Full Version : Nickelodeon hiring for Character Designer for Rise of the TMNT

TigerClaw
04-16-2017, 05:13 PM
It appears that Nickelodeon is searching for a Character Designer for the upcoming Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series.
http://www.animationinsider.com/2017/04/character-designer-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-reboot/

Vicky82
04-17-2017, 02:11 AM
You know this was posted in the New show thread a few days ago.

Papenbrook
02-23-2018, 11:02 AM
I wonder who they hired.

Hopefully, they hired someone who could mimic Suriano's art-style.

IndigoErth
02-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Well... does it? Since we've already seen some of the character designs that the new hire in question may have been a part of.

CyberCubed
02-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Literally all animators they hire match whatever the current art style is. This has been the case for any cartoon in existance for 40+ years.

Rooish
02-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Too bad. Was hoping maybe they'd redesign!

CyberCubed
02-26-2018, 11:29 AM
Too bad. Was hoping maybe they'd redesign!

:lol:

The designs are done by the new directors/showrunners. Those are finalized. Animators are then hired for the background characters like pedestrians, to draw the locations, etc.

How the hell would they change the main designs of the Turtles when those come from the new director/showrunners? Those are decided before the show is even put into production.

IndigoErth
02-26-2018, 04:03 PM
The only ones who know the role this person has played and what characters they've had a hand in (be it big or minor) is that person who got hired and the people they report to.

A character designer, as stated by the job ad, is also not the same as an animator...

Papenbrook
06-14-2018, 11:22 AM
A character designer, as stated by the job ad, is also not the same as an animator...

... and now their finding animators. (https://mobile.twitter.com/flyingbark/status/1006412686521917440)

Coola Yagami
06-15-2018, 08:59 AM
This late in the game?

Papenbrook
06-15-2018, 10:19 AM
This late in the game?

I guess ...?

I mean, if they have trouble with animating at the moment, then ...

IndigoErth
06-15-2018, 11:17 AM
Does sound odd this late, but maybe they're just beefing up production time. Though as a senior animator position I think they're supposedly also often a supervisor position over junior animators, not just one of the lowbies doing the grunt work.

Interesting that it's a remote position though. Not a bad gig maybe getting to work on TMNT from home.

neatoman
06-15-2018, 11:31 AM
This late in the game?

Well... They probably underestimated the amount of animators needed? Or maybe they need to secure animators for season 2?

CyberCubed
06-15-2018, 02:25 PM
This late in the game?

What? You do realize they have 26 11 minute episodes in Season 1? And this is probably getting a Season 2 and beyond?

Do you think they just stop hiring new animators or something after the first season?

neatoman
06-15-2018, 02:40 PM
What? You do realize they have 26 11 minute episodes in Season 1? And this is probably getting a Season 2 and beyond?

Do you think they just stop hiring new animators or something after the first season?

I thought it was 26 episodes with 11 minute segments?

Papenbrook
06-15-2018, 09:33 PM
I thought it was 26 episodes with 11 minute segments?

It is. CyberCubed got that fact wrong.

I'm worried about the animation studio.

IndigoErth
06-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Why?

Look them up, they've got some decent work under their belt. (Although interestingly enough most of it listed on their site is actually 3D/cgi, so maybe that's also a part of needing to add more 2D experts.) Not familiar with most of it, however there is one I immediately recognized as a tv series my mom recently ran across while looking for something for my nephew to watch.

neatoman
06-16-2018, 11:10 AM
It is. CyberCubed got that fact wrong.

Nickelodeon? Are you talking about how one of the creator of one of their shows turned out to be a sex offender?

Papenbrook
06-18-2018, 12:34 AM
Nickelodeon?

No. I' m referring to Flying Bark.

Are you talking about how one of the creator of one of their shows turned out to be a sex offender?

Which creator?

neatoman
06-18-2018, 04:48 AM
No. I' m referring to Flying Bark.

Which creator?

Chris Savino

Papenbrook
06-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Chris Savino

Oh, him.

I thought you were referring to someone else.

Anyways, Flying Bark also seems to be in need of 2D animators, 2D in-between animators, etc.

Um ... that seems a bit worrying. I thought they only needed a few animators, but apparently, they actually need a couple of them! :o

That ... doesn't sound too good.

IndigoErth
06-18-2018, 02:50 PM
As I'd mentioned, the vast majority of the work featured on their website is 3D animation. Literally only one (excluding TMNT) is 2D. I can give them the benefit of the doubt that they just simply need/want to beef up the number of 2D experts they have. With so few 2D projects, most of their people probably specialize in 3D, though many may still be fully capable with 2D but prefer to work in the other. Thus... you get some additional 2D experts in there and let your 3D people remain on the studio's 3D projects. (After all, people can only work on so many things at once.)

Or so goes my reasonable guess. Given their body of work, it makes sense that they may not have had as many 2D animators among them vs 3D people, and now with winning this big gig getting to do an internationally aired tv series for a popular franchise (and on that note, grats to them) they likely have a need to hire more people specifically for it.

Edit: And since when is a couple more than a few...

Papenbrook
06-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Then why wait until two/three months before the deadline?

That ... just doesn't make sense to me.

Powder
06-18-2018, 05:25 PM
Because you aren't in the industry. It's normal to cycle talent in & out.

IndigoErth
06-18-2018, 06:19 PM
What deadline? It's not like the entire series has to be completed before it premiers. It could be as simple as they're ramping up production at this point and understandably need additional people. (Better than just telling existing artists to work faster and jeopardize quality. After all, it's a studio, not a sweat shop; at least I'd hope so.)

Papenbrook
06-18-2018, 06:56 PM
I don't want Rise! to fail. In fact, I would like for it to succeed its goals and surpass my expectations.

I was just worried that something was going on behind the scenes.

Powder
06-18-2018, 07:02 PM
You worry too much, young grasshopper.

Papenbrook
06-19-2018, 03:03 AM
You worry too much, young grasshopper.

Yeah. I guess I do. :)

Anyways, I wonder if they're going to add some 3D elements to complement the 2D animation.