PDA

View Full Version : TMNTU #9 preview & discussion

AlZarkovski
04-17-2017, 12:06 PM
First look:

http://a2.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple122/v4/8d/7e/3b/8d7e3be2-d4db-8f9e-831d-15adbe206cae/screen480x480.jpeg

http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple111/v4/c0/41/04/c0410474-643a-dd41-c0b5-5badee728dc8/screen480x480.jpeg

http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple91/v4/01/ad/54/01ad5458-76c7-4479-3c7e-e437f7fda87a/screen480x480.jpeg

ChosenOne
04-17-2017, 01:55 PM
Who is the artist for this? That rendition of Angel in the first few panels isn't exactly my favorite.

Though I guess this will answer the question of who is maintaining the Nobody suit now?

Liked the little glimpse of a frog keeping tabs on the girls. It's been a long wait for this!

AlZarkovski
04-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Who is the artist for this?
Pablo Tunica.;)

MikeandRaph87
04-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Its not this Wednesday is it,but nine days from now,correct?

ChosenOne
04-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Pablo Tunica.;)

Thank you :) It's his first time with IDW TMNT, is it?

Its not this Wednesday is it,but nine days from now,correct?

Definitely not this Wednesday, and I do believe you're correct with that last part.

old_hob88
04-17-2017, 04:13 PM
Thank you :) It's his first time with IDW TMNT, is it?

Sort of second. He did a page in Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything and a variant cover for TMNT 58. Other than that, yeah.

ChosenOne
04-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Sort of second. He did a page in Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything and a variant cover for TMNT 58. Other than that, yeah.

I like his Alopex but I'm not so crazy about his Angel. That first panel of her in particular makes her look kind of ugly (which we don't have to be Woody to know is most definitely not the case). Everything else seems fine, though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-17-2017, 06:34 PM
I gotta agree with the comments re: art.

Still hyped, though. Show me the Baron Toad! :tgrin:

CyberCubed
04-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Art looks fine for this story, but yeah this is the definitive Angel design for me, and how I think of her in general:

https://static5.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/67602/3109929-angel.jpg

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Art looks fine for this story, but yeah this is the definitive Angel design for me, and how I think of her in general:

Absolutely agree. Nobody draws a more badass Angel Bridge than Mateus. :tcool:

Utrommaniac
04-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Well, there goes the hope that Sophie was doing the art. But, at least she's writing it. Same with Karai's Path.

Been really looking forward to this story, though. I don't care for the Pantheon, but I'm really looking forward to Toad Baron. He seems more fun than his siblings.

ChosenOne
04-17-2017, 07:10 PM

That panel is from City Fall, if I recall correctly. She looks (to me) older and more haggard there. Even Santolouco himself has ever so slightly changed the way he currently draws Angel, with a younger and rounder face than in those early days. Art Evolution, as TV Tropes would put it. Maybe this new artist for the Toad Baron arc will eventually follow suit after his first stab at the character. His art is similar to Campbell's, though, which is already a plus.

And I just now noticed every other frog that I'd missed before, silly me. :lol: Looks like the girls are about to be sneaked up on and swarmed, Rat King-style...

Utrommaniac
04-17-2017, 07:11 PM
They're going to the party of course, A&A just happen to be going down the same path they are :P

DestronMirage22
04-18-2017, 10:08 AM
Looks good, can't wait!
I like what the artist has done her: Aloplex looks really expressive and "cutesy". Angel looks different than what we usually see here like, but still looks recognizable, and is a good take. The little peeping frogs made me laugh. :lol:

AlessandraDC
04-19-2017, 10:56 AM
The colors are really nice! And I always love seeing different artists' take on the TMNT universe. I'm excited for this story and more Alopex and Angel!

Ninjinister
04-20-2017, 03:35 AM
Wait this wasn't supposed to be out this week, was it? My shop didn't even have it listed.

ChosenOne
04-20-2017, 07:06 AM
Wait this wasn't supposed to be out this week, was it? My shop didn't even have it listed.

Nope, next Wednesday.

Utrommaniac
04-20-2017, 11:49 PM
I don't know if I've already done this sketch on here, but I finally put the Michigan J Frog clip to a sketch. It had to be done and I will probably stop with it now. Sort of a celebration for the issue being released next week.

Because that's exactly what the Toad Baron's Ball is going to be. I know it.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/d730dc6d77b88a5c61b3282f25162f3d/tumblr_ooqvvov9MW1rfuylgo1_1280.jpg

Nice that there's something to get me interested in the Pantheon Arch now.

neatoman
04-21-2017, 03:42 AM
I don't know if I've already done this sketch on here, but I finally put the Michigan J Frog clip to a sketch. It had to be done and I will probably stop with it now. Sort of a celebration for the issue being released next week.

Because that's exactly what the Toad Baron's Ball is going to be. I know it.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/d730dc6d77b88a5c61b3282f25162f3d/tumblr_ooqvvov9MW1rfuylgo1_1280.jpg

Nice that there's something to get me interested in the Pantheon Arch now.

I'm more familiar with the Spaceballs version, so now I'm imagining Toad Baron as a chestburster.
aVZUVeMtYXc

Utrommaniac
04-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Well...there could be something figurative in that...

AlZarkovski
04-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Full preview (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/04/21/exclusive-idw-preview-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-universe-9/).

ProphetofGanja
04-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Full preview (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/04/21/exclusive-idw-preview-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-universe-9/).

Nice, thanks Al.

It looks the boat ride is the beginning of Angel and Alopex's journey to the Toad Baron's realm

neatoman
04-21-2017, 03:38 PM

Finally, something readable.

ChosenOne
04-21-2017, 04:29 PM
It's nice to see Northampton again! I hadn't noticed where they were before.

I'm also expecting those plants to play some part in the story, there's too much of a lotus eater vibe to the Toad Baron and his ball to suggest otherwise.

This is gonna be a fun issue for sure!

funatic
04-22-2017, 12:11 AM
Is this the first time Bobby has been credited as a writer on an issue? Really psyched for this one. :thyper:

myconius
04-26-2017, 06:12 AM
before i continue reading, i'd just like to say-

Pablo Tunica's art is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!! :D

it has a lot of character and expression.

plus he has very excellent story-telling compositions. it draws you right in.

ChosenOne
04-26-2017, 07:34 AM
Whoa, what a trippy, spooky issue! Toad Baron's place and the characters there feel right out of a Mignola comic! I love this guy! :D

lonewarrior20
04-26-2017, 09:02 AM
i was almost expecting to see angel and alopex start to turn into a toads after eating the food. maybe we'll see the idw version of the frogs in the next issue.

funatic
04-26-2017, 09:04 AM
Pablo Tunica's art is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!! :D
it has a lot of character and expression.
plus he has very excellent story-telling compositions. it draws you right in.

Ditto! IDW always does an amazing job pairing artist to theme but they really knocked this one out of the park, giving Tunica lots of rooooooom to work his magic. I felt really spirited away on Mr. Toad [Baron]'s wild ride!

AlessandraDC
04-26-2017, 09:23 AM
I totally agree. I think the art style works perfectly with the story. It definitely is reminiscent of Wizard of Oz (comics) and I really enjoyed it. Also the backup story, I need to go back and re-read in full, but this last installment was the most interesting. I'm definitely curious about Jennika and how quickly she became Splinter's right hand.

ProphetofGanja
04-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Ditto! IDW always does an amazing job pairing artist to theme but they really knocked this one out of the park, giving Tunica lots of rooooooom to work his magic. I felt really spirited away on Mr. Toad [Baron]'s wild ride!

I concur; I was getting a distinctly Hayao Miyazaki vibe during the party scenes at Toad Baron's place. Pretty neat story so far.

As for the back-up, I've really been enjoying the art but I feel like the whole montage-deal is kinda weak. I would love to see Revel come back for more though. And it has been nice seeing ̶J̶e̶n̶n̶i̶k̶a̶ sorry, "Jenny" get some more character development. I liked Revel's take on Master Splinter a lot too, very cool. Splinter's dialogue made this final installment of the back-up stronger than the others, I think.

Looking forward to part two of Toad Baron's Ball and whatever back-up story is next!

myconius
04-26-2017, 10:55 AM

now i'm very eager to see more of Tunica's art!! hope after this arc he returns to get to draw the actual Ninja Turtles as well! i'd love to see his take on telling a story with them. :)

this is one thing i really love about the IDW Tmnt as well as all the back-ups and mini series, is we get to see an exploration of a good variety of artists and styles.
it's not all uniform like how the Big Two have become.

several thing kept coming to mind with this Toad story was Alice in Wonderland. especially the John Tenniel illustrations. ....and that's a GOOD thing!!!!
another thing i felt reading this issue was the haunting yet enchanting feel it has.
something about this world of Toad had a similar vibe of like 'The Dark Crystal' or 'Labyrinth'. two of my ALL-TIME favorite movies, so this issue had me hooked!!!

after TMNT #36 and this story here, i'm really intrigued as to the Family of the Parliament. (if that's their official title?)

myconius
04-26-2017, 11:04 AM
As for the back-up, I've really been enjoying the art but I feel like the whole montage-deal is kinda weak. I would love to see Revel come back for more though. And it has been nice seeing ̶J̶e̶n̶n̶i̶k̶a̶ sorry, "Jenny" get some more character development. I liked Revel's take on Master Splinter a lot too, very cool. Splinter's dialogue made this final installment of the back-up stronger than the others, I think.

Looking forward to part two of Toad Baron's Ball and whatever back-up story is next!

between this back-up and the few moments we spend with Jenny training with Leo after her demotion got me really invested in her character.
reading the physical comic of this back up wasn't a very good experience, it read MUCH better digitally with the 'Guided View' mode that lets you read only on panel at a time.

i loved how this installment had her spying on Leo (who Jenny was closest with)
and then turned it around to the reveal of Leo spying in the last panel.

love the scene of Leo meditating in the sewer then getting swarmed with rats, hacking and cutting his way through them.
then returning to his meditation.

funatic
04-26-2017, 12:59 PM
I was pleasantly (or perhaps deviantly?) surpised to see that keg stands and mass decaptitations made it past the Nickelodeon censors on this one.

myconius
04-26-2017, 01:04 PM
yeah! the level of ultra-violence in the back-up story was pretty awesome! :D

i got the impression on my second read that the reason Jennika was spying on the Turtles is that she misses them.
she seemed to be most emotional when looking upon Leo.

Technogeek29
04-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Spirited Away anyone? I liked the issue a lot. Wasn't sure what to expect from T.B. but I like him, and for some odd reason I have the voice of Frollo in my head when he is speaking. Makes him rather chilling.

MikeandRaph87
04-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Spirited Away anyone? I liked the issue a lot. Wasn't sure what to expect from T.B. but I like him, and for some odd reason I have the voice of Frollo in my head when he is speaking. Makes him rather chilling.

I heard Boss Nass(Gungan King from Phatnom Menace)'s voice personally.

Utrommaniac
04-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Welllll, they are both big ol' toads wearing fezes.

That was a lot of fun though, and pretty much just as I expected. Though, I didn't expect a bunch of humans to be there. Especially humans from different time periods. Kind of expected all frogs.

ChosenOne
04-26-2017, 08:04 PM
I didn't assign any particular voice to Toad Baron in my first read-through, but the second for some reason has him with Mark Hamill's Joker/Trickster voice. The Trickster's just a teensy bit more sophisticated, so I'd go with that.

I'll also second the Labyrinth vibes (not familiar with The Dark Crystal), as well as Pan's Labyrinth. Especially when they're following the toad in the hallway. Seriously, the whole thing would feel right at home in a del Toro movie.

Where is this "Family of the Parliament" thing mentioned? I went over the issue again trying to find it, figured maybe I'd missed something, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Utrommaniac
04-26-2017, 09:03 PM
I feel a big Spirited Away vibe, myself. Right down the the froggy servants.

Look, there's even something similar to No Face. Not EXACTLY like No Face, but...
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/Bat-Snake/Screen%20Shot%202017-04-26%20at%2010.00.37%20PM_zpsub4pprnx.png

These guys are kind of Nausicaa, I think
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/Bat-Snake/Screen%20Shot%202017-04-26%20at%2010.04.02%20PM_zpslqg3aj3s.png

While on this subject, what is up with Alopex's butt in this one???

myconius
04-26-2017, 09:49 PM
I didn't assign any particular voice to Toad Baron in my first read-through, but the second for some reason has him with Mark Hamill's Joker/Trickster voice. The Trickster's just a teensy bit more sophisticated, so I'd go with that.

I'll also second the Labyrinth vibes (not familiar with The Dark Crystal), as well as Pan's Labyrinth. Especially when they're following the toad in the hallway. Seriously, the whole thing would feel right at home in a del Toro movie.

Where is this "Family of the Parliament" thing mentioned? I went over the issue again trying to find it, figured maybe I'd missed something, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

i heard a well-spoken sophisticated voice for Toad Baron as well.
Mark Hamill would be a great fit actually!

if you enjoyed Labyrinth i highly recommend seeing The Dark Crystal

cL8HDQO-QWo

"Family of the Parliament" is just what i called them. i think they are just called 'the Parliament', but being that they are family members...

ChosenOne
04-26-2017, 10:01 PM
"Family of the Parliament" is just what i called them. i think they are just called 'the Parliament', but being that they are family members...

Funny thing about that, all of a sudden everyone is calling them the Pantheon and I just realized while reading #68, during Leo's rant about the bros' priorities, that I can't remember if they were ever told that's what the big bad crew of deities call themselves. We, the readers, know them mostly as the Pantheon, but how did the Turtles ever come to call them that? Who told them and when? I honestly can't recall. Not saying it didn't happen, just can't remember when.

DestronMirage22
04-26-2017, 10:11 PM
Good issue. Nice to see the Pantheon get more developed. As others have said, the art is really good, a great fit for the story, with an Alice-in-Wonderland feel. Kind of relieved the back-up story's finished, it kind of felt like it dragged on a bit too long and wasn't all that entertaining, the next one ought to be better.

myconius
04-26-2017, 10:17 PM
Funny thing about that, all of a sudden everyone is calling them the Pantheon and I just realized while reading #68, during Leo's rant about the bros' priorities, that I can't remember if they were ever told that's what the big bad crew of deities call themselves. We, the readers, know them mostly as the Pantheon, but how did the Turtles ever come to call them that? Who told them and when? I honestly can't recall. Not saying it didn't happen, just can't remember when.

cripes!!! they are called the pantheon!!!

oh well? i guess there's something to be said for us with dain bramage!!! :lol:

if i had to guess where the name pantheon came from, it was probably within the Casey & April mini series?
i'll dig it out and check.

OK! found it!!!
we actually find out the family of immortals are named the Pantheon in Tmnt #46.
it was Professor Miller that called them that as he read April the ancient scroll.

DrSpengler
04-29-2017, 02:37 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT Universe #9 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2017/04/tmnt-universe-9.html)

Harold's absence from "Team Nobody" was a little felt in the dynamic, I think. He provides that little bit of abrasion, otherwise you're left with two good buddies who like to make small talk. Still, even without Harold, the issue had a whole lot of fun to it. That Tunica guy can freakin' DRAW holy cow.

I'm still looking over the panels for details that I missed.

And the Toad Baron is a refreshing change of pace from the other members of the Pantheon; his fun-loving personality comes across as a bit more diverse from the angry villains or plotting schemers or philosophers.

Ninjinister
04-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Might be because he's the toad sage but I heard an echo-y David Lodge for Toad Baron.

But yeah, I agree with ya, doc. Harold is one of the best human characters in TMNT history, I think, and to have him out of the book, even for a bit, creates a void.

myconius
04-29-2017, 09:57 PM
^ HEAR, HEAR!

i find the lack of Harold Obtruse!

myconius
04-30-2017, 07:33 AM
my thoughts on the Back-up tale were that Jennika was spying on the Turtles because she missed them.

in the very last panel Leonardo was seen lurking in the shadows of the Foot headquarters spying on Splinter and Jennika.

i wonder what exactly did that mean?

did he realize he was being spied on and wanted to investigate why?

or was he there because of a secret longing to spend time with his Father?

Rooish
05-14-2017, 12:36 PM
Finally read it. Total Spirited Away vibe.

How did they come up with this Toad Barron thing? All I can think is Wind in the Willows... right down to the rowboat ride.

I really enjoyed this issue and the relationship between our two leads. The art was awesome, even if their appearances were dramatically different than in the main series. Really loved Alopex's expressions, especially her stretching on the second page and snuggling up to Angel during the drugged dance sequence! Ha!

Reading this though, I thought about the fact that I don't really know their personality traits very well. Alopex started out sneaky and vicious, now is usually just kind of there in the main but in this she was more carefree. Angel is... grumpy and tough? Like a female human Raph?